• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orange Star's Hyperactive Whiz Kid! - Andy For Smash Ultimate! We'll Live To Fight Another Day...

Favorite Advance Wars Game (Not Including pre-AW and Battalion Wars)

• Total voters

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Andy being the final DLC character would be a massive reversal of fortune for AW representation and continue the trend of ending DLC on an Intelligent Systems note.

Could happen...
I mean, it's a trend that started with Smash 4 DLC but I get the idea haha. And yeah, what a huge reversal of fortune that would be for a franchise that people thought would never return at the start of the year.

IDK about it's chances but holy hell I wish it would happen. And because I want Sakurai to go on a 5-7 minute talk about the origins of the Nintendo Wars series and it's complete history lol.

Last edited:

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
IDK about it's chances but holy hell I wish it would happen. And because I want Sakurai to go on a 5-7 minute talk about the origins of the Nintendo Wars series and it's complete history lol
Andy's chances might be low, but we could very well be on a timeline where Nintendo brought back AW and is giving the series a playable character in Smash, all within the same year! (Hopefully)

Do you guys think we can get the casual outfits from Dual Strike in Re-Boot Camp? If they do include them, then that means they would have to create 2 variations for each CO Power animation.

I honestly wonder for how long has WayForward been working on these remakes. There's also the fact that the Eshop gives the game an estimated 12GB. Maybe we can use this to speculate about new content?

Also, Re-Boot Camp's trailer just reached 300k views on YouTube!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Andy's chances might be low, but we could very well be on a timeline where Nintendo brought back AW and is giving the series a playable character in Smash, all within the same year! (Hopefully)

Do you guys think we can get the casual outfits from Dual Strike in Re-Boot Camp? If they do include them, then that means they would have to create 2 variations for each CO Power animation.

I honestly wonder for how long has WayForward been working on these remakes. There's also the fact that the Eshop gives the game an estimated 12GB. Maybe we can use this to speculate about new content?

Also, Re-Boot Camp's trailer just reached 300k views on YouTube!
WayForward had to at least been working on these remakes since 2018. Recall that there was a trademark for Advance Wars back in December 2018. Rumors of a "mobile" Advance Wars began to circulate around late-2019 meaning someone had to have seen the game in development (confusing Re-Boot Camp for a mobile game). This thread got wind of the project around late-2019/early-2020 and it became a point of discussion for us until Re-Boot Camp was formally revealed at E3 this year. With this in mind, this game had to have been in development since the summer or fall of 2018 given the timing of the trademark.

I'd love to see the alts from Dual Strike. Whatever customization features WayForward can include would be welcome.

amageish

Smash Master
With this in mind, we can say without question that Nintendo did not intend for this boxart to release at this time. Makes you wonder when exactly they wanted the boxart to go up officially? So far, Nintendo has made no mention of the official boxart on their social media.

Well, it's either that or us Canadians are the only ones who will get an official boxart lol.
It does seem to be leaked, but I also don't think this is the kind of thing that really matters big-picture as far as leaks go. Retailers inadvertently becoming the ones to reveal boxarts happens all the time, for better and for worse.

I imagine we'll see Nintendo tweet out the art and generally more about the game post-Dread release. Honestly, the marketing of Dread (and also Famicom Detective Club earlier this year) is what makes me less worried about Re-Boot Camp then I would have been in years' past. Nintendo has really excelled at the "You may not know this franchise, but it's great and you should get into it!" advertising lately, when in the past Nintendo's marketing department kind of acted like anyone more obscure then a secondary Kirby character is for hardcore gamers only and therefore not worth marketing.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
The box art is incredible, in my head I knew it was different to the original but could really only point specifically to Andy's rounded cheeks and the dirt road being very 'videogame dirt path' as the only changes. It's incredible how well they've captured the style both as it was and as I thought it looked like and matched it up brilliantly.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It does seem to be leaked, but I also don't think this is the kind of thing that really matters big-picture as far as leaks go. Retailers inadvertently becoming the ones to reveal boxarts happens all the time, for better and for worse.

I imagine we'll see Nintendo tweet out the art and generally more about the game post-Dread release. Honestly, the marketing of Dread (and also Famicom Detective Club earlier this year) is what makes me less worried about Re-Boot Camp then I would have been in years' past. Nintendo has really excelled at the "You may not know this franchise, but it's great and you should get into it!" advertising lately, when in the past Nintendo's marketing department kind of acted like anyone more obscure then a secondary Kirby character is for hardcore gamers only and therefore not worth marketing.
Ehh, it seems pretty weird is all i'm saying. I know retailers leak boxarts early sometimes but this sort of came out of nowhere with Amazon Canada only being the one sharing it. Like, was there a time this was supposed to come up for all the retailers and Amazon Canada jumped the gun? And also, why hasn't Nintendo asked Amazon Canada to take down the leaked boxart before they formally reveal it themselves? Maybe i'm overthinking things and it's nothing like you said. It's also weird that a lot of people subscribe to the notion that Metroid Dread is Nintendo's only priority when they're also promoting Mario Party, Pokemon, and SMTV at the same time.

EDIT: Best Buy Canada also has the leaked boxart. Maybe this was a Canada-wide thing only where the boxart leaked?

2nd EDIT: GameStop Canada doesn't use the leaked boxart but The Source (a Canadian retailer for electronics) is using it. Walmart Canada is not using the leaked boxart.
The box art is incredible, in my head I knew it was different to the original but could really only point specifically to Andy's rounded cheeks and the dirt road being very 'videogame dirt path' as the only changes. It's incredible how well they've captured the style both as it was and as I thought it looked like and matched it up brilliantly.
I think it's okay but like I said, I would have really liked some visual touch-up's here and there. Really appreciate that they decided to throw it back to the OG boxart for this game though. Hope to see a lot of cool nods like that throughout Re-Boot Camp.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Ehh, it seems pretty weird is all i'm saying. I know retailers leak boxarts early sometimes but this sort of came out of nowhere with Amazon Canada only being the one sharing it. Like, was there a time this was supposed to come up for all the retailers and Amazon Canada jumped the gun? And also, why hasn't Nintendo asked Amazon Canada to take down the leaked boxart before they formally reveal it themselves? Maybe i'm overthinking things and it's nothing like you said. It's also weird that a lot of people subscribe to the notion that Metroid Dread is Nintendo's only priority when they're also promoting Mario Party, Pokemon, and SMTV at the same time.
Yeah, I think you're overthinking it honestly. I see no reason Nintendo would care about this, even if it went up maybe a bit earlier then planned. It's nothing worth the trouble of telling Amazon to take it down at least; it's just like how realtors upload screenshots/descriptions and open preorders at different times. Heck, games have had entire modes revealed via retail outlets and they don't usually break a sweat.

And obviously Nintendo can promote multiple games at once, but they certainly do focus short-term, especially when it comes to the more "You should try out this thing you may not be familiar with!" pitches.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah, I think you're overthinking it honestly. I see no reason Nintendo would care about this, even if it went up maybe a bit earlier then planned. It's nothing worth the trouble of telling Amazon to take it down at least; it's just like how realtors upload screenshots/descriptions and open preorders at different times. Heck, games have had entire modes revealed via retail outlets and they don't usually break a sweat.

And obviously Nintendo can promote multiple games at once, but they certainly do focus short-term, especially when it comes to the more "You should try out this thing you may not be familiar with!" pitches.
Alright fair enough. I just wanted to point out how it's weird that this was only leaked by some Canadian retailers.

Nintendo does focus on the short-term but like, Advance Wars is releasing in 9 weeks so i'm not sure why it would be treated much differently than the other games given a similar window for release lol. And also, given it needs all the attention it can get leading up to release. Or why it would be omitted from the Direct so close to launch but yeah, i've talked enough about that.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Y'know, seeing Smash Bros trend on Twitter so much and all that stuff, it got me wondering. With this many eyeballs glued to the final reveal, any franchise that gets the last spot is going to benefit massively.

Just think how much Advance Wars would stand to benefit if it were the last fighter in Smash. Fan interest would be over the roof. If even like, 20% of Fighters Pass 2 buyers got interested in buying Advance Wars, that would be a huge boost for this game's sales.

Hypothetically speaking, of course.

amageish

Smash Master
Y'know, seeing Smash Bros trend on Twitter so much and all that stuff, it got me wondering. With this many eyeballs glued to the final reveal, any franchise that gets the last spot is going to benefit massively.

Just think how much Advance Wars would stand to benefit if it were the last fighter in Smash. Fan interest would be over the roof. If even like, 20% of Fighters Pass 2 buyers got interested in buying Advance Wars, that would be a huge boost for this game's sales.

I do wonder how much Smash actually impacts sales versus just impacting the game's social standing... It's not like 3H's sale numbers in Nintendo reports have noticably changed since Byleth's release, but Smash definitely has changed the way that 3H is discussed...

That said, it's obviously a big platform and whatever gets announced will be getting a lot of free discussion/advertising on social media, for better and for worse...

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

That's the idea, anyways. It's why so many characters from dead franchises are usually brought. Heck, my biggest pipe dream character is Billy Hatcher of all characters.
I do wonder how much Smash actually impacts sales versus just impacting the game's social standing... It's not like 3H's sale numbers in Nintendo reports have noticably changed since Byleth's release, but Smash definitely has changed the way that 3H is discussed...

That said, it's obviously a big platform and whatever gets announced will be getting a lot of free discussion/advertising on social media, for better and for worse...
To be fair, it DID help XC2...

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

That's the idea, anyways. It's why so many characters from dead franchises are usually brought. Heck, my biggest pipe dream character is Billy Hatcher of all characters.

To be fair, it DID help XC2...
To put it in perspective, Smash Ultimate sold 25 million copies (and counting).

If even 10-20% of Smash Ultimate's install base purchased Fighters Pass 2, you're looking at an audience of 2.5-5 million people who would be exposed to Advance Wars through Andy, Sami, or whoever the playable character is.

Of the 2.5-5 million people, if even 10-20% of them were inclined to purchase Advance Wars after seeing them in Smash, that's like an additional 250K-1M additional sales for the game plus a lot of new eyeballs on the series (people who are familiar with the franchise in general as a result). It's sort of like how Ness & Captain Falcon are well-known despite their franchises being niche.

So yeah, that's a major benefit to having Advance Wars as the last Smash Ultimate fighter. As C chocolatejr9 also mentioned, it helped XC2 quite a lot. XC2 was selling like hotcakes on Amazon Japan following the inclusion of Pyra & Mythra.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
AW as the last DLC would be fantastic for AW, but the series just feels too niche for Nintendo to be comfortable slotting it in as DLC. I hope I'm wrong, though!

amageish

Smash Master
To put it in perspective, Smash Ultimate sold 25 million copies (and counting).

If even 10-20% of Smash Ultimate's install base purchased Fighters Pass 2, you're looking at an audience of 2.5-5 million people who would be exposed to Advance Wars through Andy, Sami, or whoever the playable character is.

Of the 2.5-5 million people, if even 10-20% of them were inclined to purchase Advance Wars after seeing them in Smash, that's like an additional 250K-1M additional sales for the game plus a lot of new eyeballs on the series (people who are familiar with the franchise in general as a result). It's sort of like how Ness & Captain Falcon are well-known despite their franchises being niche.

So yeah, that's a major benefit to having Advance Wars as the last Smash Ultimate fighter. As C chocolatejr9 also mentioned, it helped XC2 quite a lot. XC2 was selling like hotcakes on Amazon Japan following the inclusion of Pyra & Mythra.
True, though while XC2 ended up trending on Amazon, I'm not sure if that actually speaks to selling a million extra insomuch as selling hundreds/thousands extra. Obviously it is good promotion for characters - and I think the biggest thing Smash Bros inclusion does is increase recognizably, which is good for a franchise's social standing, but not inherently great beyond that...

Well. We'll see what happens Tuesday. I'm not particularly confidant in any outcome at this point.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Man with all the Twitter posts Sakurai has been making, it would sure have made me believe he's talking about Advance Wars. With the whole letting the Japanese audience know that they might not know the character (since Advance Wars isn't well known there and is yet to be localized for Re-Boot Camp). Unfortunately, the 9/23 Direct happened without Advance Wars so I can't really bring myself to believe this is what happening. Of course like others have said, I would very much love to be wrong on that account.
True, though while XC2 ended up trending on Amazon, I'm not sure if that actually speaks to selling a million extra insomuch as selling hundreds/thousands extra. Obviously it is good promotion for characters - and I think the biggest thing Smash Bros inclusion does is increase recognizably, which is good for a franchise's social standing, but not inherently great beyond that...

Well. We'll see what happens Tuesday. I'm not particularly confidant in any outcome at this point.
I mean bottom line is that it sold a lot more thanks to Smash and like you said, it's social standing went up as a result. If Advance Wars can have that brand awareness through Smash, it would do wonders for it's visibility let alone it's sales. I mean, it's no accident that the franchises most semi-casual Nintendo fans want to see return are Earthbound & F-Zero over the likes of Sin & Punishment & Custom Robo. Because the former two franchises are associated with Smash and more people are invested in those franchises because of their playable status.
Even if Advance Wars doesn't get a rep with the pass it has a decent shot at getting representation in the next Smash game if the game does well enough
Ehh, perhaps. The competition for the next game is going to be brutal as far as new series goes. Ring Fit Adventurer & Astral Chain are all but guaranteed to get characters next game. Golden Sun is very likely to get a character next game given it's popularity. A returning Rhythm Heaven would also get dibs given it was supposed to get a playable character in Smash 4 and Sakurai loves re-visiting old ideas. Famicom Detective Club is likely to get the retro spot for similar reasons and because it released internationally now.

With all that in mind, it's not hard to see Advance Wars getting the shaft once again. Sorta like what happened to Golden Sun in Ultimate when we thought that series would get a playable character but instead just went right back to being an Assist Trophy again. I fear the same thing will happen to Advance Wars in the next Smash game if it doesn't get the Fighter 11 spot.

The only way to circumvent this is for Advance Wars: Re-Boot Camp to do very well financially for Nintendo and for people to start requesting Andy/Sami a lot more than they do currently.

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman

He's suggesting in Japanese that they may not know the character announced tomorrow...

But in English, Sakurai just asked the broader gaming audience to tune in...

My first thought is confirming my bias toward an Advance Wars CO? Since AW1 never released in Japan and the collection came much later, JP general knowledge for who the character is would be much slimmer. Could easily be something western tho, like Fortnite or Doom Guy.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Honestly, personally, Sakurai tweets in English so rarely that I am not taking the disclaimer tweet being in Japanese to be that meaningful - especially when the presentation is airing in the morning timeslot when most western-focused characters have their presentations in EST prime time...

Advance Wars is still possible though! Even if it wasn't a Japan-specific call to temper expectations, AW fits the general vibe of a lower-key first-party...

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

He's suggesting in Japanese that they may not know the character announced tomorrow...

But in English, Sakurai just asked the broader gaming audience to tune in...

My first thought is confirming my bias toward an Advance Wars CO? Since AW1 never released in Japan and the collection came much later, JP general knowledge for who the character is would be much slimmer. Could easily be something western tho, like Fortnite or Doom Guy.
Yeah we talked about that earlier. If I didn't know better, I would think Sakurai is pointing to Advance Wars in his tweets. Especially considering that the franchise has found more success in the West over Japan and Re-Boot Camp has (yet) to be announced for that part of the world.

Sakurai did tell both the Japanese and Western audiences to tune in whether or not they play Smash, the only difference being that he told the Japanese audience that they might not recognize the character. Which makes sense if it was Advance Wars given what I mentioned above. I told myself that I wouldn't get my hopes up for this but hot damn, that's one big coincidence.

On top of that, none of Nintendo's social media has made any reference to the leaked box art for Re-Boot Camp from this past Friday. What if like, they intended to reveal that boxart alongside the Smash reveal? Maybe that explains AW's absence from the 9/23 Direct?

These are hypotheticals of course, I can't say i'm too confident being the case but yeah, this is quite the coincidence if it's not AW revealed tomorrow.
Honestly, personally, Sakurai tweets in English so rarely that I am not taking the disclaimer tweet being in Japanese to be that meaningful - especially when the presentation is airing in the morning timeslot when most western-focused characters have their presentations in EST prime time...

Advance Wars is still possible though! Even if it wasn't a Japan-specific call to temper expectations, AW fits the general vibe of a lower-key first-party...
I made that point as well. I mean, if this were a big 3rd party character like Master Chief or Doomguy, I think they would want this Direct airing at a time where their North American audience aren't at work or at school. Y'know, for all the live reactions and tweets. Nintendo would want the maximum impact for Smash if that were the case sort of like Cloud in Smash 4. And hey, it's not without precedent given the Final Smash Presentation for Smash 4 aired 5PM EST. They could have easily done the same thing here if it were a big 3rd party character being revealed tomorrow.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Welp, we can look forward to the next Smash game in 2026 where Advance Wars is (once again) relegated to being an Assist Trophy. Like what happened to Golden Sun in Ultimate only without the fan backlash.

Also, guess there was no silver lining with AW missing in the 9/23 Direct. They just couldn't be bothered to have a 40-50 second trailer there. And not even a peep about a Japanese release still. If I didn't know any better, I would say Nintendo is trying to set up Advance Wars to fail so they never have to touch it again.

(I don't hate the character that was revealed today BTW, i'm just upset that the "silver lining" scenario did not come to pass.)

Please let a man vent in peace. The past 2 weeks have not been kind as you can obviously tell. In the words of the late-Satoru Iwata, please understand.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
What absolutely shocked me was when they said Sora was the winner of the ballot. I don't know if we can keep cooking up conspiracy theories about them lying about the results, so maybe even then I was out of sync with what Smash fans wanted...I knew Sora was popular, but I can't see how he won unless there was a huge flock of casual fans voting for him.
Also strange to see how non-controversial he is right now compared to years ago; like, we literally have the Mickey Mouse logo in Smash. Shows how much the floodgates have opened and I wonder if there will ever be a time for franchises like Advance Wars to get the spotlight.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Okay, over a day later. My kneejerk reaction aside (granted I didn't hate who was revealed yesterday).

Please don't get the wrong idea. I'm not conceited enough to believe Andy is more deserving than Sora for inclusion in Smash. I was just venting because this whole situation from the past 2 weeks has been frustrating and we're about 8 weeks from release with no word on this game's release in Japan. I honestly thought that they were going to put Andy, Sami, or whoever in Smash Ultimate to promote the remake over there but that didn't come to pass. I guess I have myself to blame for that but i'm still bummed out nevertheless.
What absolutely shocked me was when they said Sora was the winner of the ballot. I don't know if we can keep cooking up conspiracy theories about them lying about the results, so maybe even then I was out of sync with what Smash fans wanted...I knew Sora was popular, but I can't see how he won unless there was a huge flock of casual fans voting for him.
Also strange to see how non-controversial he is right now compared to years ago; like, we literally have the Mickey Mouse logo in Smash. Shows how much the floodgates have opened and I wonder if there will ever be a time for franchises like Advance Wars to get the spotlight.
I think that's an overexaggeration TBH. There will always be room for smaller franchises in Smash as evident with the inclusions of franchises like Fatal Fury/King of Fighters and ARMS as DLC. Also, keep in mind that base roster selection heavily favors 1st parties whereas DLC selection favors 3rd parties. When the time comes for the base roster to be selected for the next game, 1st parties are going to have the upper hand since it's a Nintendo game first and foremost.

Of course with that said, Advance Wars is not guaranteed a spot in the next Smash game in the slightest. Recall the post I made a day or two ago about how stiff the competition is for new franchises. In the next Smash game, we have to compete with Ring Fit Adventurer, Astral Chain, Golden Sun, possibly Rhythm Heaven, and any other new IP Nintendo introduces from now and the next Smash game. There's also the retro franchises to take in to consideration. The only way we can feel assured of Advance Wars getting a playable character is if Advance Wars Re-Boot Camp is a financial success worldwide and we see an influx of people supporting this series to get a character.

There's also the possibility that Advance Wars gets in as the "modern retro" character. Sorta like what Little Mac was in Smash 4. His franchise saw a modern revival on the Wii and was included in Smash 4. If nothing else, I would hope for something like that to happen in the next Smash game.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
I think that's an overexaggeration TBH. There will always be room for smaller franchises in Smash as evident with the inclusions of franchises like Fatal Fury/King of Fighters and ARMS as DLC. Also, keep in mind that base roster selection heavily favors 1st parties whereas DLC selection favors 3rd parties. When the time comes for the base roster to be selected for the next game, 1st parties are going to have the upper hand since it's a Nintendo game first and foremost.

Of course with that said, Advance Wars is not guaranteed a spot in the next Smash game in the slightest. Recall the post I made a day or two ago about how stiff the competition is for new franchises. In the next Smash game, we have to compete with Ring Fit Adventurer, Astral Chain, Golden Sun, possibly Rhythm Heaven, and any other new IP Nintendo introduces from now and the next Smash game. There's also the retro franchises to take in to consideration.
Sure, smaller series can still get in, but if smaller first-party series have to compete with smaller third-parties, not just the really big third-parties, then they have even more competition than before, and competition against characters that IMO are an odd fit for the game to begin with. It is exactly characters like Joker, Terry, Snake, etc. that put the squeeze on first-party additions.

And now it is an unsettlingly small leap from Sora to characters like Goku who appear in video games but are highly associated with other media.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
That’s very well said and I hate it. I’d much rather have niche Nintendo characters from smaller franchises than cash grabbing, high profile 3rd party reps. I want fighters who feel like they belong in a game next to Kirby and donkey kong. Master Chief does not do that.

amageish

Smash Master

Of course with that said, Advance Wars is not guaranteed a spot in the next Smash game in the slightest. Recall the post I made a day or two ago about how stiff the competition is for new franchises. In the next Smash game, we have to compete with Ring Fit Adventurer, Astral Chain, Golden Sun, possibly Rhythm Heaven, and any other new IP Nintendo introduces from now and the next Smash game. There's also the retro franchises to take in to consideration. The only way we can feel assured of Advance Wars getting a playable character is if Advance Wars Re-Boot Camp is a financial success worldwide and we see an influx of people supporting this series to get a character.

There's also the possibility that Advance Wars gets in as the "modern retro" character. Sorta like what Little Mac was in Smash 4. His franchise saw a modern revival on the Wii and was included in Smash 4. If nothing else, I would hope for something like that to happen in the next Smash game.
Yeah, I agree 100%. Smaller franchises aren't going anywhere. They have always been a part of Smash and will always be a part of Smash. Now, Advance Wars isn't guaranteed a playable slot in the next Smash, of course, but... basically nothing is guaranteed about the next Smash. We're talking about a game unlikely to even begin pre-production for years; we don't know anything about what it will be like or the design philosophy behind it.

I love Nintendo IPs, including small ones. I think a lot of them kind of suffer from how the industry treats them - and, honestly, how the Nintendo fandom itself treats them, as people pretend things like AW don't exist while lamenting how Nintendo doesn't care about their legacy franchises... That said, it is no more rude and irrational when big YouTubers who live off of "hype" reaction streams treat Min Min or Pyra/Mythra as bad cynical marketing picks then it is for hardcore Nintendo fans to treat Sephiroph and Sora as bad cynical marketing picks. Every character is chosen to sell passes and promote their games of origin, sure, but also every character is chosen to appease fans of the character chosen. Sakurai and the team's putting hard work into everything and it shows.

Otherwise, on the bright side for this thread,, Advance Wars is back! When Smash speculation began, Advance Wars is a franchise that had fizzled out and now it is a franchise that is getting a fantastic-looking remake made by a clearly-passionate indie team. That is awesome! So, we may not have gotten our best timeline for Smash, but things are still looking up for Advance Wars in general.

yes, to anyone in multiple threads with me, I have been posting a lot of "Hey, at least X is going on still" posts lately...

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Sure, smaller series can still get in, but if smaller first-party series have to compete with smaller third-parties, not just the really big third-parties, then they have even more competition than before, and competition against characters that IMO are an odd fit for the game to begin with. It is exactly characters like Joker, Terry, Snake, etc. that put the squeeze on first-party additions.

And now it is an unsettlingly small leap from Sora to characters like Goku who appear in video games but are highly associated with other media.
I'm not even sure if smaller third-parties are going to be that much competition. We didn't have any in FP2, after all.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

The only "smaller" third party we got was Terry and even then, he had a big legacy behind him. Bayonetta could be considered a third party on the lower end of things but even then, the franchise is popular. I think we will get more smaller 3rd party franchises but they will take lower priority in comparison to the Sora's and Steve's of the world.

EDIT: I should throw in Banjo as well since he's a popular 3rd party character but from a smaller series.

I also think the Goku example doesn't work since Sora is still a video game character at the end of the day. I mean, none of Sora's moves or anything from the Challenger Pack relates to Disney characters aside from the keyblade (like, no Mickey or Donald in Sora's moveset).
That’s very well said and I hate it. I’d much rather have niche Nintendo characters from smaller franchises than cash grabbing, high profile 3rd party reps. I want fighters who feel like they belong in a game next to Kirby and donkey kong. Master Chief does not do that.
I wouldn't say that. Even as a big supporter of Advance Wars getting a character in Smash Bros, I do love me the big 3rd party additions Smash Bros gives us. Is it cash grabbing? Well sure, maybe but people actually want those characters in the game so it is giving the people what they want. It was the case with Steve & Sora, it will be the same case with characters like Master Chief & Dante in the next Smash game.
I'm not even sure if smaller third-parties are going to be that much competition. We didn't have any in FP2, after all.
True that though I do think we'll get more of those smaller 3rd parties going forward. Maybe something like Ace Attorney or Shin Megami Tensai in the next Smash.
Yeah, I agree 100%. Smaller franchises aren't going anywhere. They have always been a part of Smash and will always be a part of Smash. Now, Advance Wars isn't guaranteed a playable slot in the next Smash, of course, but... basically nothing is guaranteed about the next Smash. We're talking about a game unlikely to even begin pre-production for years; we don't know anything about what it will be like or the design philosophy behind it.

I love Nintendo IPs, including small ones. I think a lot of them kind of suffer from how the industry treats them - and, honestly, how the Nintendo fandom itself treats them, as people pretend things like AW don't exist while lamenting how Nintendo doesn't care about their legacy franchises... That said, it is no more rude and irrational when big YouTubers who live off of "hype" reaction streams treat Min Min or Pyra/Mythra as bad cynical marketing picks then it is for hardcore Nintendo fans to treat Sephiroph and Sora as bad cynical marketing picks. Every character is chosen to sell passes and promote their games of origin, sure, but also every character is chosen to appease fans of the character chosen. Sakurai and the team's putting hard work into everything and it shows.

Otherwise, on the bright side for this thread,, Advance Wars is back! When Smash speculation began, Advance Wars is a franchise that had fizzled out and now it is a franchise that is getting a fantastic-looking remake made by a clearly-passionate indie team. That is awesome! So, we may not have gotten our best timeline for Smash, but things are still looking up for Advance Wars in general.

yes, to anyone in multiple threads with me, I have been posting a lot of "Hey, at least X is going on still" posts lately...
Yeah pretty much. 1st parties have always been the bread and butter of base roster character selection. That was even the case with Ultimate, a game that was all about granting the fanbase's wishes and all that 3rd party fanservice. Even with all that, we still had the majority of newcomers come from 1st/2nd party franchises in the base roster.

I think Advance Wars would be treated a bit differently than Min-Min or Pyra/Mythra. AW has that critical acclaim attached to it and is regarded as one of the best games of all time. If it does big numbers sales wise, it would be regarded as a justified addition. And that's not even to mention that it's a franchise dating back to 1988, before Fire Emblem. People would/will have an attachment to it VS some other 1st party franchise being introduced.

You're definitely right about that. When this thread first opened up, Advance Wars returning sounded like such an absurd concept. This was coming at a time when Fire Emblem had like 3-4 games announced in it's own Direct and 2 months before the infamous "Advance Wars needs relationships" comment from IntSys. It felt like such a distant reality, so much so that every post made in this thread (outside the regulars) was people expressing how while they like the series, they think it would never return because of Fire Emblem or whatever.

I would say we're in a much better position but we're not quite out of the woods just yet. This game needs to sell well, possibly very well to have it's future secured. I'm talking like, selling a million copies or even more so. Additionally, it needs to release in Japan and needs to sell at least 100K copies over there to maintain a presence in that part of the world. If the remake doesn't succeed, we're going right back to where we were pre-June 15th and the series won't see the light of day for another 15 years. Very dystopian to think about, I know but I need to point that out. Let's all hope for the best come December 3rd and this franchise reaches heights it has never reached before. And with all that, an invitation to the next Smash game.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I also think the Goku example doesn't work since Sora is still a video game character at the end of the day. I mean, none of Sora's moves or anything from the Challenger Pack relates to Disney characters aside from the keyblade (like, no Mickey or Donald in Sora's moveset).
Yeah, all Sora shows is Nintendo has some very very very good lawyers that were able to get Disney to play ball haha.

Yeah pretty much. 1st parties have always been the bread and butter of base roster character selection. That was even the case with Ultimate, a game that was all about granting the fanbase's wishes and all that 3rd party fanservice. Even with all that, we still had the majority of newcomers come from 1st/2nd party franchises in the base roster.
Exactly. Nintendo is still all about promoting and showcasing Nintendo games first, then showing off afermentioned lawyer negotiation skills second.

I think Advance Wars would be treated a bit differently than Min-Min or Pyra/Mythra. AW has that critical acclaim attached to it and is regarded as one of the best games of all time. If it does big numbers sales wise, it would be regarded as a justified addition. And that's not even to mention that it's a franchise dating back to 1988, before Fire Emblem. People would/will have an attachment to it VS some other 1st party franchise being introduced.
I think it depends on who is giving out the treatment. There are some people who will consider any Smash reveal that wasn't considered "impossible" before it happened to be understated and underwhelming, regardless of legacy and historical impact.

You're definitely right about that. When this thread first opened up, Advance Wars returning sounded like such an absurd concept. This was coming at a time when Fire Emblem had like 3-4 games announced in it's own Direct and 2 months before the infamous "Advance Wars needs relationships" comment from IntSys. It felt like such a distant reality, so much so that every post made in this thread (outside the regulars) was people expressing how while they like the series, they think it would never return because of Fire Emblem or whatever.

I would say we're in a much better position but we're not quite out of the woods just yet. This game needs to sell well, possibly very well to have it's future secured. I'm talking like, selling a million copies or even more so. Additionally, it needs to release in Japan and needs to sell at least 100K copies over there to maintain a presence in that part of the world. If the remake doesn't succeed, we're going right back to where we were pre-June 15th and the series won't see the light of day for another 15 years. Very dystopian to think about, I know but I need to point that out. Let's all hope for the best come December 3rd and this franchise reaches heights it has never reached before. And with all that, an invitation to the next Smash game.
Things are, presently, looking good. Yes, it is possible Re-Boot Camp comes and goes, without securing a sustained future for the franchise, but I don't think it's worth stressing about the potential lack of new entries when one is already on the horizon. We're getting an Advance Wars game for us to enjoy; if people overlook it and it becomes a hidden gem, then that's their loss as they are losing the ability to play remasters of two excellent tactical RPGs.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
I didn't expect NIntendo to promote their retro IPs via DLCs at this point. I mainly criticize that their base game should had introduced at least one retro IP, either Lip or Issac, so it's sad Andy didn't really stand a chance to begin with.

I'm not too familiar with AW, but I do think this is a game genre Smash lacks at this point and it'd be interesting to see how the fighter and stage take references from such game. And considering Gameboy Advance original IPs really lack spotlights in Smash, it'd be nice if AW is promoted to represent the whole Gameboy era.

Now I wonder what is the chance for Andy in Smash 6 base game?

PurpleStuff5

Smash Cadet
Okay, over a day later. My kneejerk reaction aside (granted I didn't hate who was revealed yesterday).

Please don't get the wrong idea. I'm not conceited enough to believe Andy is more deserving than Sora for inclusion in Smash. I was just venting because this whole situation from the past 2 weeks has been frustrating and we're about 8 weeks from release with no word on this game's release in Japan. I honestly thought that they were going to put Andy, Sami, or whoever in Smash Ultimate to promote the remake over there but that didn't come to pass. I guess I have myself to blame for that but i'm still bummed out nevertheless.
For reference, Age of Calamity wasn't revealed until two months before its release. Warioware(somewhat similar to AW in that its a revival of a franchise) wasn't revealed until less than 3 months before its release. As we've seen Nintendo is heavily focusing on Metroid Dread right now. After that, theres really just SMT, Pokemon, and AW left to push for the year and AW even has its own month for that. I think its odd to assume that Nintendo isn't going to put in the effort to push its big game in December, I just think the time hasn't quite arrived.

I dont think this game needs to be a success in Japan and Nintendo clearly doesn't think so either. They're dipping their toes back in the AW waters and want to see how the game will do in the market that proved best in the past. Therefore I think it makes sense that the parameter for success for this title will be how it does in the west. I mean they clearly green-lit the title knowing that it wasn't going to be a hit in Japan and that honestly gives me comfort knowing that they had the security to go ahead with the project while knowing it would have limited appeal.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
It depends on how small we mean when we say "smaller third parties."

Like, there is still a huge leap from Sonic/Pac-Man to basically any other third-party character in Smash (except I guess Steve with the kiddos these days). Your average person on the street probably doesn't know Kazuya, Sephiroth, etc., even Ryu or Mega Man. Even a big group of gamers who play mostly on Nintendo consoles don't know the majority of the third parties in Smash.

----

As for Advance Wars, I agree it is getting far too little marketing to this point, but I can't say I expected it to get that much. It's a remake made by a smaller external company, so the marketing and sales expectations will be set accordingly. Maybe that sounds bad, but it might actually be pretty good if the bar for Nintendo to consider the game a success is low.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah, all Sora shows is Nintendo has some very very very good lawyers that were able to get Disney to play ball haha.

Exactly. Nintendo is still all about promoting and showcasing Nintendo games first, then showing off afermentioned lawyer negotiation skills second.

I think it depends on who is giving out the treatment. There are some people who will consider any Smash reveal that wasn't considered "impossible" before it happened to be understated and underwhelming, regardless of legacy and historical impact.

Things are, presently, looking good. Yes, it is possible Re-Boot Camp comes and goes, without securing a sustained future for the franchise, but I don't think it's worth stressing about the potential lack of new entries when one is already on the horizon. We're getting an Advance Wars game for us to enjoy; if people overlook it and it becomes a hidden gem, then that's their loss as they are losing the ability to play remasters of two excellent tactical RPGs.
Sure, those people exist that degrade 1st party characters of any kind or even lower-level 3rd party characters. I'm just saying Advance Wars has it's historical impact and it's critical acclaim attached to it that most people would respect it's inclusion. And should Re-Boot Camp do well sales-wise, it's inclusion would be even more justified by even the semi-casual Smash Bros audience.

I think it has a lot more to do than "just missing out". If people choose to skip out or are turned away by the art style or price tag, that's very bad for this franchise. If this series has any hope for the future, it needs to make an impact and failing to do so will result in a negative outcome for this franchise, not unlike what happened to Advance Wars post-Days of Ruin. With that in mind, the situation is rather egregious and also kinda stressful to think about. Nintendo not marketing this game to the degree it needs to be marketed is worrisome. Despite this, I do think the remakes will sell decently enough but quite honestly, "decent" isn't going to be enough if we're going to get higher-budget sequels and entries in this franchise that aren't excluded from one region in the world.
I didn't expect NIntendo to promote their retro IPs via DLCs at this point. I mainly criticize that their base game should had introduced at least one retro IP, either Lip or Issac, so it's sad Andy didn't really stand a chance to begin with.

I'm not too familiar with AW, but I do think this is a game genre Smash lacks at this point and it'd be interesting to see how the fighter and stage take references from such game. And considering Gameboy Advance original IPs really lack spotlights in Smash, it'd be nice if AW is promoted to represent the whole Gameboy era.

Now I wonder what is the chance for Andy in Smash 6 base game?
Well, I should mention that Advance Wars didn't start with the GBA. That's common misconception about this franchise I wish people understood more. This series dates back to 1988 with Famicom Wars on the NES so it's even older than Fire Emblem. That's why I held on to hope back in the base roster days that this franchise could secure the retro spot for Ultimate and that sadly did not come to pass. Perhaps the next Smash game with the series revived and hopefully, better commercial success.
For reference, Age of Calamity wasn't revealed until two months before its release. Warioware(somewhat similar to AW in that its a revival of a franchise) wasn't revealed until less than 3 months before its release. As we've seen Nintendo is heavily focusing on Metroid Dread right now. After that, theres really just SMT, Pokemon, and AW left to push for the year and AW even has its own month for that. I think its odd to assume that Nintendo isn't going to put in the effort to push its big game in December, I just think the time hasn't quite arrived.

I dont think this game needs to be a success in Japan and Nintendo clearly doesn't think so either. They're dipping their toes back in the AW waters and want to see how the game will do in the market that proved best in the past. Therefore I think it makes sense that the parameter for success for this title will be how it does in the west. I mean they clearly green-lit the title knowing that it wasn't going to be a hit in Japan and that honestly gives me comfort knowing that they had the security to go ahead with the project while knowing it would have limited appeal.
Sure sure, there's Metroid Dread and all but it's not encouraging when the last time we heard either Nintendo or WayForward talk about Advance Wars was back in June. It's October now and we're like 8 weeks from this game releasing. Reminder tweets about this game in the months after E3 as well as character overview tweets would have been very welcome (also keeping the game in the public's eye).

IMO, it's crucial that this game does well in Japan. It's the same reason why this series went on hiatus for 14 years after Days of Ruin. Just relying on NA/EU sales isn't going to cut it. If you're not successful in one part of the world, you get low-billing and are eventually made to be an afterthought. It's the reason why franchises that do well in Japan but not so much in the West are given higher billing. Without at least a measure of success over there, this franchise will begin a slow decline to being dormant for another 15 years or so.

And like, why even bother remaking a game with the idea that this is supposed to test the waters for future releases and omit it from your domestic market? That's so absurd that Nintendo is making their decision to omit this game from Japan based on the commercial performance of Dual Strike 16 years ago. So much has changed then and it's a different market from what it was before. Hell, it's almost like if Nintendo decided to keep FE Japan-only after FE12 because of how FE11 performed. They would have missed out on the Western boom this franchise had with Awakening because of their pre-conceived notions of how well a franchise could sell in one part of the world. Nintendo has to at least be willing to give Advance Wars a chance to succeed in the East and have a similar effect for that market. Instead, they opted to not even try and that's very disheartening. Of course, things could change yeah and i'm really hoping for that announcement in the next week or two (foolishly perhaps).

It also goes without saying that characters need to be popular in Japan to get in to Smash or at least some level of popularity over there while having a robust Western support. Without that, Advance Wars is DOA for the next game (AKA right back to Assist Trophy purgatory).

Like, there is still a huge leap from Sonic/Pac-Man to basically any other third-party character in Smash (except I guess Steve with the kiddos these days). Your average person on the street probably doesn't know Kazuya, Sephiroth, etc., even Ryu or Mega Man. Even a big group of gamers who play mostly on Nintendo consoles don't know the majority of the third parties in Smash.

----

As for Advance Wars, I agree it is getting far too little marketing to this point, but I can't say I expected it to get that much. It's a remake made by a smaller external company, so the marketing and sales expectations will be set accordingly. Maybe that sounds bad, but it might actually be pretty good if the bar for Nintendo to consider the game a success is low.
I think that's another problem. I really wish Nintendo was willing to put more money in this project and give it to a studio like Capcom instead. No disrespect to WayForward but I feel like they would have handled this a lot better with a bigger budget game as well. Like, imagine this remake but in the artstyle of Ace Attorney, It would have been the perfect match and would have greatly increased it's appeal for the Japanese market while still appeal to the Western market. That was the right way to go, IMO.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman

I can be your prime example - I had never heard of Joker or Terry prior to the dlc reveals. And I’ve never played Final Fantasy (and I don’t really wanna) so the sephiroth reveal meant nothing to me. I did play tekken 2 back in the day though.

amageish

Smash Master
Sure, those people exist that degrade 1st party characters of any kind or even lower-level 3rd party characters. I'm just saying Advance Wars has it's historical impact and it's critical acclaim attached to it that most people would respect it's inclusion. And should Re-Boot Camp do well sales-wise, it's inclusion would be even more justified by even the semi-casual Smash Bros audience.
True! Hopefully it would be able to overpower any negativity that occurred...

I think it has a lot more to do than "just missing out". If people choose to skip out or are turned away by the art style or price tag, that's very bad for this franchise. If this series has any hope for the future, it needs to make an impact and failing to do so will result in a negative outcome for this franchise, not unlike what happened to Advance Wars post-Days of Ruin. With that in mind, the situation is rather egregious and also kinda stressful to think about. Nintendo not marketing this game to the degree it needs to be marketed is worrisome. Despite this, I do think the remakes will sell decently enough but quite honestly, "decent" isn't going to be enough if we're going to get higher-budget sequels and entries in this franchise that aren't excluded from one region in the world.
Obviously the games doing well would be great for the franchise long-term, but what I'm saying is that the games are being remade at all and that is great in of itself. It's good for AW fans to have AW games to play. I don't really think it is worth paying much mind to the people who don't end up caring about these games - you can't control how others will feel and it isn't worth being frustrated over their apathy.

Plus, like, eight weeks is objectively not too far away, but that's a pretty long time by internet discourse standards. There's plenty of time for a bunch of videos to go up and for people to start talking about the game - heck, plenty of games blow up after launch just by word of mouth and influencers posting about them.

I think that's another problem. I really wish Nintendo was willing to put more money in this project and give it to a studio like Capcom instead. No disrespect to WayForward but I feel like they would have handled this a lot better with a bigger budget game as well. Like, imagine this remake but in the artstyle of Ace Attorney, It would have been the perfect match and would have greatly increased it's appeal for the Japanese market while still appeal to the Western market. That was the right way to go, IMO.
I also don't think it's worth spinning hypotheticals about how much better it would be under another development team when we have barely seen what it is like under this one.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
True! Hopefully it would be able to overpower any negativity that occurred...

Obviously the games doing well would be great for the franchise long-term, but what I'm saying is that the games are being remade at all and that is great in of itself. It's good for AW fans to have AW games to play. I don't really think it is worth paying much mind to the people who don't end up caring about these games - you can't control how others will feel and it isn't worth being frustrated over their apathy.

Plus, like, eight weeks is objectively not too far away, but that's a pretty long time by internet discourse standards. There's plenty of time for a bunch of videos to go up and for people to start talking about the game - heck, plenty of games blow up after launch just by word of mouth and influencers posting about them.

I also don't think it's worth spinning hypotheticals about how much better it would be under another development team when we have barely seen what it is like under this one.
I mean, it is important in the context of getting in to the next Smash. More sales = More chances of getting in to the next game. A sales flop = Advance Wars being slotted right back to being an Assist Trophy again and I really dread that outcome. And for the series itself, it can't really continue if people don't come out and support it. The only thing Nintendo cares about is $$$. If Advance Wars doesn't sell, it's going away again. Honestly as a passionate fan of this series, having a "game to play" doesn't really amount to much. There's always the originals to play anyways. My main concern is having this succeed so this franchise gets bigger budget sequels and it's audience is expanded far greater to what it was in the GBA days.

I just would have much rather this come from Capcom TBH. I was even saying this back in 2019 when I asked the thread who would be their ideal choice to co-develop Advance Wars like how Three Houses was. The prospect sounded great and I don't see why Nintendo didn't do that (instead choosing to double down on the series' Western appeal which I do not agree with).

I think WayForward will do fine with the remakes and it's going to sell decently at worst. I just don't think this franchise can get to the next level with that studio. I don't mean to say that in a disrespectful way of course, it's just that this studio is smaller in scale and if we're going to get an Advance Wars on the level of a Three Houses, it's going to have to come from a Capcom or even a Bandai Namco. Also prioritizing worldwide appeal and not doubling down where it's already popular. That's sort of what i'm getting at wanting Capcom to handle the project, it is what it is at the end of the day I guess.

Lets hope Nintendo starts talking a lot more about Re-Boot Camp next week or the week after. And maybe just maybe a worldwide release can finally be announced then as well.

amageish

Smash Master
I mean, it is important in the context of getting in to the next Smash. More sales = More chances of getting in to the next game. A sales flop = Advance Wars being slotted right back to being an Assist Trophy again and I really dread that outcome. And for the series itself, it can't really continue if people don't come out and support it. The only thing Nintendo cares about is $$$. If Advance Wars doesn't sell, it's going away again. Honestly as a passionate fan of this series, having a "game to play" doesn't really amount to much. There's always the originals to play anyways. My main concern is having this succeed so this franchise gets bigger budget sequels and it's audience is expanded far greater to what it was in the GBA days.

I just would have much rather this come from Capcom TBH. I was even saying this back in 2019 when I asked the thread who would be their ideal choice to co-develop Advance Wars like how Three Houses was. The prospect sounded great and I don't see why Nintendo didn't do that (instead choosing to double down on the series' Western appeal which I do not agree with).

I think WayForward will do fine with the remakes and it's going to sell decently at worst. I just don't think this franchise can get to the next level with that studio. I don't mean to say that in a disrespectful way of course, it's just that this studio is smaller in scale and if we're going to get an Advance Wars on the level of a Three Houses, it's going to have to come from a Capcom or even a Bandai Namco. Also prioritizing worldwide appeal and not doubling down where it's already popular. That's sort of what i'm getting at wanting Capcom to handle the project, it is what it is at the end of the day I guess.

Lets hope Nintendo starts talking a lot more about Re-Boot Camp next week or the week after. And maybe just maybe a worldwide release can finally be announced then as well.
I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree here then, I'm afraid. I am also passionate about AW an love the IP and "a game to play" is exactly what I have been hoping for - I can finally play AW online with my friends proper, instead of just playing the AW-esque game that is Wargroove. I suppose we could have gotten that with an eventual Game Boy Advance online, but (i) it would look worse on the TV then this remake will and (ii) I think it's just generally easier to get all my friends hyped to play a fancy new game then a port of a GBA game with online.

I would enjoy seeing the franchise continue as well, of course, but I don't know if I have a dream of a big-budget Three-Houses-level title with AW either? I like AW being more retro as Fire Emblem gets more modern and more experimental. Like, the idea of an AW with a big overworld and more detailed map assets just isn't something I dream of - maybe I'd enjoy if it happened, but the idea doesn't fill me with hype.

I also just don't think Wayfoward is doubling down on the series being western - obviously not localizing the game would make it a western-only game, but Wayfoward has a long track record of Japanese collaborations and games deliberately targeted at a Japanese audience. Heck, River City Girls 2's latest trailer is in Japanese and premiered at Tokyo Game Show... I wouldn't be too surprised if it was stuff like River City Girls, where Wayfoward took a Japanese IP and managed to both modernize it while respecting its legacy, that caused Nintendo have confidence in this project.

That said, yeah, we'll see when we get news about the game next!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree here then, I'm afraid. I am also passionate about AW an love the IP and "a game to play" is exactly what I have been hoping for - I can finally play AW online with my friends proper, instead of just playing the AW-esque game that is Wargroove. I suppose we could have gotten that with an eventual Game Boy Advance online, but (i) it would look worse on the TV then this remake will and (ii) I think it's just generally easier to get all my friends hyped to play a fancy new game then a port of a GBA game with online.

I would enjoy seeing the franchise continue as well, of course, but I don't know if I have a dream of a big-budget Three-Houses-level title with AW either? I like AW being more retro as Fire Emblem gets more modern and more experimental. Like, the idea of an AW with a big overworld and more detailed map assets just isn't something I dream of - maybe I'd enjoy if it happened, but the idea doesn't fill me with hype.

I also just don't think Wayfoward is doubling down on the series being western - obviously not localizing the game would make it a western-only game, but Wayfoward has a long track record of Japanese collaborations and games deliberately targeted at a Japanese audience. Heck, River City Girls 2's latest trailer is in Japanese and premiered at Tokyo Game Show... I wouldn't be too surprised if it was stuff like River City Girls, where Wayfoward took a Japanese IP and managed to both modernize it while respecting its legacy, that caused Nintendo have confidence in this project.

That said, yeah, we'll see when we get news about the game next!
Well, that's a big disconnect for me i'm sorry. Because this series being stagnant existing in the same niche it was in the GBA-era is a complete turn-off for me. It's been my dream for years for Advance Wars to become a lot more popular in the gaming mainstream and for people to take notice of this franchise. I've always wanted Advance Wars to have it's own FE Awakening moment where it breaks out of it's niche and it's audience is expanded to just people who enjoy playing games in general. Because as is, it only exists in a certain niche and I really, really hate that it doesn't get it's proper recognition from the wider gaming audience. AW deserves to be up there with the likes of Metroid as a franchise your average joe or at least someone with an interest in gaming can easily recognize it.

It doesn't even need to be 1:1 with Three Houses. Like, give Advance Wars it's own stylistic design that sets itself apart from FE. Like it could still be more cartoony and lighthearted compared to it's sister series but still having a bigger budget and emphasis on it's story, characters, setting, etc. I mean hey, for as much flak Days of Ruin gets it at least had the right idea in mind. Having a more story based Advance Wars and having people interested not only in it's gameplay mechanics but also it's characters it what it really needs. And with that, a better looking game to get people interested even if they were never interested in Advance Wars. Think something like Days of Ruin but not as dark and on a bigger scale. That's what new Advance Wars should be, IMO.

Sure, WayForward has published games with appeal to that region which makes it even more crazy that Nintendo would omit releasing the game over there. I just can't agree with the approach Nintendo has taken with these remakes and I hope a new entry in this franchise expands it's scope.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
We don't know everything, but i'm like to believe that it's Wayforward who asked to use Advance Wars IP to Nintendo first, and not the opposite. Thinking like that would insinuate that AW got another chance thanks to WF's will first.

Top Bottom