• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orange Star's Hyperactive Whiz Kid! - Andy For Smash Ultimate! We'll Live To Fight Another Day...

Favorite Advance Wars Game (Not Including pre-AW and Battalion Wars)

• Total voters

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I do wish they had more Advance Wars info in today's direct, does anyone who watched the Japanese Direct know if they at least revealed it there?
No they haven't yet which is maddening. They had no issue releasing FDC in the West but for some reason, it's a major issue for them to release AW in Japan because of one DS game from 2005. Like, give me a friggin break that was 16 years ago. We live in a different time now ffs.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Yeah that's pretty frustrating in terms of not revealing it in Japan since that has an impact on the series health internationally as well, like do they not have confidence in Wayforward or something? I would think there's plenty of reason to have confidence there considering Shantae was received pretty positively in Japan.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Realistically I can see that there's not much to show for AW1+2, we know what it looks like and it's hard to say whether we should expect anything more than a remake of the originals in the new graphic style, but I agree that there's value in reminding people in the big showcase. Disappointed to not see a new trailer that just throws in some AW2 content and that shows an online multiplayer match to point out that it's a part of the game that will provide continued value to people who buy it. But again, this is stuff that has been stated to be in the game so it's not news that they need to get out any more than they need to advertise in general (which, again they really do need to advertise it).

I just hope to see a few more ads put out online in the 2 1/2 months left, closer to release.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Realistically I can see that there's not much to show for AW1+2, we know what it looks like and it's hard to say whether we should expect anything more than a remake of the originals in the new graphic style, but I agree that there's value in reminding people in the big showcase. Disappointed to not see a new trailer that just throws in some AW2 content and that shows an online multiplayer match to point out that it's a part of the game that will provide continued value to people who buy it. But again, this is stuff that has been stated to be in the game so it's not news that they need to get out any more than they need to advertise in general (which, again they really do need to advertise it).

I just hope to see a few more ads put out online in the 2 1/2 months left, closer to release.
You said it yourself, all they had to do was throw in another trailer featuring the Advance Wars 2 portion of the game alongside some of the other features we haven't seen like the Map Editor and the War Room and that's about it. You want to market to the largest audience so your game has the best chance of being successful and not being treated like an afterthought. Really not a tall order for Nintendo.

Anyways, my hopes for Advance Wars getting the Fighter 11 spot are shot now. I'll still be watching the stream of course but my optimism is officially dead. Let's all pray that this remake somehow does well and we just manage to get a spot in the next Smash game.
Yeah that's pretty frustrating in terms of not revealing it in Japan since that has an impact on the series health internationally as well, like do they not have confidence in Wayforward or something? I would think there's plenty of reason to have confidence there considering Shantae was received pretty positively in Japan.
And like, they could have easily released the game in Japan on time. AW is not text heavy and they were willing to release FDC in the West. It's just, absurd. I can't describe it any other way.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
...It's always the same on these boards. Bitterness always wins out in the end.
I'm sorry you feel that way but please consider the fact that a lot of us are bummed out right now after getting slighted like this. And TBH, there's nothing wrong with just speaking our minds about how we really feel.

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
And like, they could have easily released the game in Japan on time. AW is not text heavy and they were willing to release FDC in the West. It's just, absurd. I can't describe it any other way.
I just remembered that data miners found that Days of Ruin had a complete Japanese localization in its code, YET NINTENDO DIDN'T BOTHERED RELEASING THE GAME IN JAPAN! It's really hard to be optimistic. . .

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm sorry you feel that way but please consider the fact that a lot of us are bummed out right now after getting slighted like this. And TBH, there's nothing wrong with just speaking our minds about how we really feel.
And there we go. "Slighted", even though nothing was promised.

I'm out.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I just remembered that data miners found that Days of Ruin had a complete Japanese localization in its code, YET NINTENDO DIDN'T BOTHERED RELEASING THE GAME IN JAPAN! It's really hard to be optimistic. . .
True that. And like, this is a different time. Metroid, a franchise that has traditionally seen bad luck in Japan sold like hotcakes when it went up for pre-orders on Amazon. Nintendo needs to stop thinking it's the 2000's and give Advance Wars the proper chance it deserves to succeed in Japan.
And there we go. "Slighted", even though nothing was promised.

I'm out.
Slighted in the sense that they're not even bothering to market in one of their biggest showcases of the year and when their consumers are paying the most attention. And this is a franchise that's been dead for 14 years, many of us have been waiting so many years for this franchise to finally get another chance only for this to happen.

Sorry you had to go, I won't hold any negative feelings about it. Just at least consider where myself and other longtime fans of this franchise are coming from in all of this.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
This was a surprising and disappointing outcome for sure, so I understand if some of us need some time to vent frustrations. It did seem like a done deal that there would be a trailer in this Direct and, uh, that didn't pan out.

Personally, I don't think this is something to be worried about yet. This was a smaller Direct and as was mentioned was aimed towards more immediate releases, with some far off 2022 biggies to get people excited, so AW was in an awkward middle ground. Plus, given the tons of marketing Nintendo gave to titles like FDC, WarioWare GIT and Dread, I think they might have learned their lesson regarding their nicher games and are just waiting for the right time for AW's marketing blitz.

Think about it. After Dread, what is Nintendo going to promote? They have Mario Party at the end of October, and then there's nothing until AW in December. And considering we already know most of what there is to know about Mario Party, I expect that most of their advertising efforts post-Dread will be focused on AW. Sure, they did miss a great venue with tons of eyes to advertise it which sucks and there's still no Japanese release date which also sucks, but I'm not seeing a lost cause yet.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
There will definitely be some more marketing, but there probably won't be another Direct between now and the AW launch, so it's a bummer for sure. There isn't much to show those of us posting here that we wouldn't already know, but there is a lot to show the people who haven't actually played Advance Wars before and don't know what to expect. Let's hope that the efforts in the next few weeks are a little better!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
There will definitely be some more marketing, but there probably won't be another Direct between now and the AW launch, so it's a bummer for sure. There isn't much to show those of us posting here that we wouldn't already know, but there is a lot to show the people who haven't actually played Advance Wars before and don't know what to expect. Let's hope that the efforts in the next few weeks are a little better!
This is exactly the point people are missing. Like, I had some people insulating that "oh you're just being entitled" and like, no you're missing the point completely. It isn't just me wanting to see more of the game (as nice as that would be). The issue is the poor communication Nintendo/WayForward in marketing this game and ensuring this game will be a success. Because like, why would you miss out on the big 3 presentations of the year to market this game to the largest audience possible?

And even if they were to drop a gameplay trailer in the coming weeks, the message that sends (intentional or not) is that this game wasn't important enough to show off in their main presentation and that you average Joe needn't be invested with this game. And that's like, really bad. A lot worse than what people understand. It's pretty much like Nintendo telling Advance Wars to go play in the kiddie pool away from the grown up's. That's my sort of issue with them dropping random trailers or having it just be apart of a throwaway Mini-Direct in November.

But of course, people have a penchant for misrepresenting me and putting words in my mouth. Believe me, it's not entitlement to just want this game to be marketed properly. And it wouldn't have hurt Nintendo to throw in a 1 minute trailer for this game in the Direct lmao.
This was a surprising and disappointing outcome for sure, so I understand if some of us need some time to vent frustrations. It did seem like a done deal that there would be a trailer in this Direct and, uh, that didn't pan out.

Personally, I don't think this is something to be worried about yet. This was a smaller Direct and as was mentioned was aimed towards more immediate releases, with some far off 2022 biggies to get people excited, so AW was in an awkward middle ground. Plus, given the tons of marketing Nintendo gave to titles like FDC, WarioWare GIT and Dread, I think they might have learned their lesson regarding their nicher games and are just waiting for the right time for AW's marketing blitz.

Think about it. After Dread, what is Nintendo going to promote? They have Mario Party at the end of October, and then there's nothing until AW in December. And considering we already know most of what there is to know about Mario Party, I expect that most of their advertising efforts post-Dread will be focused on AW. Sure, they did miss a great venue with tons of eyes to advertise it which sucks and there's still no Japanese release date which also sucks, but I'm not seeing a lost cause yet.
I like that you have an optimistic take on this which I really respect. After yesterday unfortunately, my morale is in the toilet and I really worry for this game's prospects. As is, I completely lost hope for Advance Wars getting the last spot in Smash Ultimate. My hope now is just for Re-Boot Camp to do very well sales-wise so that puts Nintendo (and possibly Sakurai if he returns for the next Smash game) in a situation where they have to include an Advance Wars character in the next Smash game. And of course, a situation where it makes so much money that Nintendo is itching to pump out as many Advance Wars games as they can in the coming years. With a bigger budget at that.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I'm still pretty optimistic about Reboot Camp's prospects, if it's a well-made, well-polished remake. Word of mouth spreads much faster and more effectively in 2021 than it did in 2005. Given that we already know the gameplay side of AW1/AW2 is excellent, if the technical and aesthetic execution of the remake is of sufficient quality, I am confident it will find success even if not marketed as well as it could be prior to launch. But, of course, it's hard to be confident in the presence of that quality when Nintendo won't let WF show us anything! 😉

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
This is exactly the point people are missing. Like, I had some people insulating that "oh you're just being entitled" and like, no you're missing the point completely. It isn't just me wanting to see more of the game (as nice as that would be). The issue is the poor communication Nintendo/WayForward in marketing this game and ensuring this game will be a success. Because like, why would you miss out on the big 3 presentations of the year to market this game to the largest audience possible?

And even if they were to drop a gameplay trailer in the coming weeks, the message that sends (intentional or not) is that this game wasn't important enough to show off in their main presentation and that you average Joe needn't be invested with this game. And that's like, really bad. A lot worse than what people understand. It's pretty much like Nintendo telling Advance Wars to go play in the kiddie pool away from the grown up's. That's my sort of issue with them dropping random trailers or having it just be apart of a throwaway Mini-Direct in November.

But of course, people have a penchant for misrepresenting me and putting words in my mouth. Believe me, it's not entitlement to just want this game to be marketed properly. And it wouldn't have hurt Nintendo to throw in a 1 minute trailer for this game in the Direct lmao.

I like that you have an optimistic take on this which I really respect. After yesterday unfortunately, my morale is in the toilet and I really worry for this game's prospects. As is, I completely lost hope for Advance Wars getting the last spot in Smash Ultimate. My hope now is just for Re-Boot Camp to do very well sales-wise so that puts Nintendo (and possibly Sakurai if he returns for the next Smash game) in a situation where they have to include an Advance Wars character in the next Smash game. And of course, a situation where it makes so much money that Nintendo is itching to pump out as many Advance Wars games as they can in the coming years. With a bigger budget at that.
Yeah, that's fair. Skipping a Direct altogether is not the type of marketing you give to a game if you're about to unveil the crown jewel of promotion that is a Smash fighter. But I wouldn't worry about it devaluing the project because remember: it debuted at E3. That has lots more eyes on it than just a regular Direct, and it was seen as one of the highlights in a fantastic presentation. So I'd say AW's stock is still pretty high reputation-wise.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'm still pretty optimistic about Reboot Camp's prospects, if it's a well-made, well-polished remake. Word of mouth spreads much faster and more effectively in 2021 than it did in 2005. Given that we already know the gameplay side of AW1/AW2 is excellent, if the technical and aesthetic execution of the remake is of sufficient quality, I am confident it will find success even if not marketed as well as it could be prior to launch. But, of course, it's hard to be confident in the presence of that quality when Nintendo won't let WF show us anything! 😉
Yeah, that's fair. Skipping a Direct altogether is not the type of marketing you give to a game if you're about to unveil the crown jewel of promotion that is a Smash fighter. But I wouldn't worry about it devaluing the project because remember: it debuted at E3. That has lots more eyes on it than just a regular Direct, and it was seen as one of the highlights in a fantastic presentation. So I'd say AW's stock is still pretty high reputation-wise.
Great points. I also have cautious optimism that this game will perform well come December 3rd. After all, it did perform well on the Amazon charts during E3 week and it was on GameSpot's Top 10 best selling Switch games for the month of June. Word of mouth is another thing. People like ourselves swear by the Advance Wars series and how great it's gameplay & characters are. There is, of course also the negative word of mouth like complaints with the artstyle and the price tag some say isn't worth it. That's why Nintendo has to do a much better job marketing this game because they need to communicate to their consumer base that this game is worth the price tag and it's worth their attention. Omitting that from you major presentation sends the exact opposite message.

Marketing is one thing but the other thing is that there's still complete radio silence on them releasing this game in Japan. Are they literally going to wait for November to announce that this game will be releasing there? Because otherwise, they're either going to release it there in 2022 or not release it at all there and both are terrible options. And with this in mind, I just can't bring myself to have any optimism for Andy/Sami as Fighter 11. Which sucks because I was riding on a high post-E3 and I legit thought we could have been in luck.

I threw out a wild conspiracy-esque idea on AW news possibly being held off for a Fighter 11 reveal but i'm pretty embarrassed to have even put that idea out there.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

I mean, it's not happening and i'm 99.9% sure of that but hey, I thought I would just throw that out there to make us feel a tad bit better lol.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Hope never dies! (I guess?)
Andy is number 14 and has a 44.3% chance according to this account.
Uhh, pretty sure that's a meaningless poll lol. The data there isn't relevant.

That being said, barring my crackpot theory about Nintendo's "big brain" plan to kickstart Advance Wars marketing for December, I can't see Andy being Fighter 11 but hey i'd love to be wrong. Besides, no one outside people in this thread thought Advance Wars would ever return pre-June 15th.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I thought sami should have been in in smash 4 when snake was cut i could have seen snake's moveset working on sami and i feel like it was a waste to not have his moveset in at all.
I saw this sentiment a lot, but as the guy who ran the Sami thread for SSB4, I never really agreed with it, to be honest. MGS and AW are two very different series. Slapping a MGS moveset onto Sami just wouldn't capture the essence of Advance Wars in the way Sakurai tries to do with Smash characters these days. Snake's normals would work fine for Sami, but any Advance Wars CO added to Smash would need special moves that properly rep Advance Wars with stuff like summoning units, things like that.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I saw this sentiment a lot, but as the guy who ran the Sami thread for SSB4, I never really agreed with it, to be honest. MGS and AW are two very different series. Slapping a MGS moveset onto Sami just wouldn't capture the essence of Advance Wars in the way Sakurai tries to do with Smash characters these days. Snake's normals would work fine for Sami, but any Advance Wars CO added to Smash would need special moves that properly rep Advance Wars with stuff like summoning units, things like that.
Pretty much this but I had an idea where Sami would use assets from both Snake and Zero Suit Samus. As in, she would share similar melee attacks as them but her specials would be different.

amageish

Smash Master
Hope never dies! (I guess?)
Andy is number 14 and has a 44.3% chance according to this account.
I'm not a mathematician, but I am fairly certain that, with one character left, the odds of every character combined should add up to 100%? As... there is only one character left?

But, uh, glad some people are optimistic about Andy, I suppose haha.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
There isn't anything in the way of new news or anything but there was this poll on Twitter with 261 votes asking which character they want to see as Fighter 11. Nice to say Advance Wars doing well on this poll.

I'm not a mathematician, but I am fairly certain that, with one character left, the odds of every character combined should add up to 100%? As... there is only one character left?

But, uh, glad some people are optimistic about Andy, I suppose haha.
Wonder what kind of math they did to come to this conclusion lol.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Weirdly enough AW trio is only losing to “nonspecific action figure” which is clearly a joke that I don’t get.
Think it has something to do with some sort of running gag from the old-era of Nintendo Directs. Like, I recall seeing that in the old 2012-2013 Nintendo Directs from way back then.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I know we've been bummed out by Re-Boot Camp's absence from last week's Direct so I wanted to share this video showcasing people's reactions to the game's announcement from E3. It's nice to reminisce about June 15th and the excitement we all had that day. I was literally in denial when the first trailer hit, I legit could not believe what I was seeing.

Volume warning BTW

I hope Nintendo gives AW a Direct. Yes, the game has an in-depth tutorial but only those who buy the game will see it.
Hopefully, we can get something like this in November or something. Because there's a lot that hasn't been shown off yet.
Make sure to check out this AW animation!
I remember this channel because they did a Wargroove X Advance Wars animation 2 years ago. Love how they're close to 1M subs and doing Advance Wars content.

Also weird how Sturm's hand looks like. I mean, we have no idea how he looks like without his trench coat but I always imagined he had bionic arms or something lol.

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
Also weird how Sturm's hand looks like. I mean, we have no idea how he looks like without his trench coat but I always imagined he had bionic arms or something lol.
I think Sturm is just an alien using metallic armor to protect himself from whatever his species consider toxic in Wars World (Earth).
1633046254517.png

Even "his" metallic face resembles the Black Hole Army's infantry units.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I think Sturm is just an alien using metallic armor to protect himself from whatever his species consider toxic in Wars World (Earth).
View attachment 332272
Even "his" metallic face resembles the Black Hole Army's infantry units.
Funny enough, I had a weird headcanon before where Sturm is a human like the other 4 Black Hole CO's just using armor. I always wondered how he would look like without it. Sorta like when Darth Vader was unmasked.

Low-key hyped to see how he looks in Re-Boot Camp. Maybe WayForward redesigned him a bit.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I know we've been bummed out by Re-Boot Camp's absence from last week's Direct so I wanted to share this video showcasing people's reactions to the game's announcement from E3. It's nice to reminisce about June 15th and the excitement we all had that day. I was literally in denial when the first trailer hit, I legit could not believe what I was seeing.

Volume warning BTW

Hopefully, we can get something like this in November or something. Because there's a lot that hasn't been shown off yet.

I remember this channel because they did a Wargroove X Advance Wars animation 2 years ago. Love how they're close to 1M subs and doing Advance Wars content.

I have a lot of respect for the people who recognized that it was AW solely based off of the movement sound and capture stomp sound while the screen was still black, haha. Those are the real OGs.

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

TheTuninator

Smash Champion

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I think we finally got the box art for AW Re-Boot Camp!
I think it's fine. Granted there's some visual touch up's i'd like to see done. Andy doesn't look as expressive as he does in the GBA boxart and Max is looking kinda...weird? But yeah it's fine. I wish Nintendo/WayForward would flipping release these remakes in Japan but i've ranted enought about that.

Would have been real nice for Nintendo to have shown off this new boxart in the past Direct but i've talked enough about that as well. Hard to believe this came from an outside source and not from Nintendo themselves.

Can't wait for December 3rd regardless!
Well, if the leak is claiming Sami's being redesigned to be more serious, the boxart certainly isn't showing that with her being happier then on the original boxart...
Yeah, I noticed that too. Perhaps this was a last minute change they made (like, a few months before E3 even) and there wasn't enough time for it to be reflected in the boxart. Either way, Sami looking more kawaii than she's ever been before lol.
I have a lot of respect for the people who recognized that it was AW solely based off of the movement sound and capture stomp sound while the screen was still black, haha. Those are the real OGs.
I mean, I would but I was in disbelief when it was happening. I sorta mentally conditioned myself to believe Advance Wars had no chance of returning for so long that my brain sorta not computing what I was seeing. It wasn't until Nell flashed on the screen when it was all like "holy ****ing **** this is actually happening" lol.

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
It appears that it was Amazon Canada who leaked the box art. I checked other websites to see if they also had the box art, but they didn't, not even Amazon itself. I guess this pretty much forces Nintendo to show the box art themselves. Maybe they were saving the box art for whenever their marketing campaign for AW kicked in.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It appears that it was Amazon Canada who leaked the box art. I checked other websites to see if they also had the box art, but they didn't, not even Amazon itself. I guess this pretty much forces Nintendo to show the box art themselves. Maybe they were saving the box art for whenever their marketing campaign for AW kicked in.
Yep, can confirm. Below are the results for searching for Advance Wars: Re-Boot Camp on both the Canadian and American Amazon websites.

Canadian

1633134768670.png

American

1633134829637.png

With this in mind, we can say without question that Nintendo did not intend for this boxart to release at this time. Makes you wonder when exactly they wanted the boxart to go up officially? So far, Nintendo has made no mention of the official boxart on their social media.

Well, it's either that or us Canadians are the only ones who will get an official boxart lol.

Top Bottom