• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orange Star's Hyperactive Whiz Kid! - Andy For Smash Ultimate! We'll Live To Fight Another Day...

Favorite Advance Wars Game (Not Including pre-AW and Battalion Wars)

• Total voters

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I don't buy many indie games at all. Not that I have anything against them; I just don't have the time for most of them.

But Wargroove looks pretty good. Could be a good way to bridge the gap to Fire Emblem in the Spring.
TBH this will be one of the very few indie games that I buy. Not that I have anything against indies of course it's just that I never sinked my teeth in to that stuff.

Wargroove is the exception of course. I've been waiting for an Advance Wars-like game for a long time and Wargroove, for the time being is going to fill that void.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Alright, just prepurchased Wargroove. Take the hint IS. Though also it looks good on it's own merit so certainly a good purchase.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Alright, just prepurchased Wargroove. Take the hint IS. Though also it looks good on it's own merit so certainly a good purchase.
Nice! I just Pre-purchased the game earlier today. I looked up the Switch E-Shop's best sellers for digital games and Wargroove is listed among those titles. Then again that might be exclusive to Canada or North America (my region).

Either way though, that's promising for a title that's yet to release.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Would you recommend getting it on Switch to help send the message to Nintendo that people want AW, or does it not really matter what platform?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Would you recommend getting it on Switch to help send the message to Nintendo that people want AW, or does it not really matter what platform?
Basically, yes. As far as I've noticed, some third-party and/or indie games have been shown to sell the most on the Switch compared to any other platform, so buying WarGroove on there in droves should help massively, I think.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So an update to Wargroove's performance on the Switch E-Shop charts, it's now listed among the Top 30 games both digital and physical (competing with the likes of the big hitters) and among digital-only games, it's now in the Top 10 (ranked #9 the last time I checked).

The news only keeps getting better for Wargroove. I wonder how that's going to look like when the game launches this Friday.
Yeah man go for it. I think buying Wargroove on the Switch sends the message that much further that Nintendo's own base wants to see the return of the Advance Wars series that they own. Of course that's not to discourage anyone from buying the game for PC or the X1.
I heard about it before but that's great. It expands the online user base to much higher levels if it were only Switch users you were able to play against.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
The other thing about Wargroove is that it seems like there won't be a physical copy available at launch.

I like physical games way better than getting digital versions, so this is unfortunate, but it won't stop me from buying it

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The other thing about Wargroove is that it seems like there won't be a physical copy available at launch.

I like physical games way better than getting digital versions, so this is unfortunate, but it won't stop me from buying it
True that. There's nothing like having a physical "library" of sorts for games lol.

The way the world is moving, however is shifting towards digital for just about everything. So sooner or later retail copies are going to become like VCR's and MySpace haha.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Wargroove on Switch holds a score of 86 on Metacritic out of 23 reviews so far, with 100% of them being generally favorable.

Not looking too shabby so far

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Most reviews for the game range from the late 80's-mid 90's. That's very impressive for an indie game.

The game is also Top 5 among digital titles on the Switch E-Shop. That number is poised to jump come 2 days from now.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Just popped in to tell you all that I'm excited for Wargroove and I hope we get a new Advance Wars game. Don't see it getting a character now but hope we can see it next time after a series revival.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Just popped in to tell you all that I'm excited for Wargroove and I hope we get a new Advance Wars game. Don't see it getting a character now but hope we can see it next time after a series revival.
I mean without a series revival, I don't see a character so unless IS had some plan to bring the series back a year or two ago, then there's not a chance. Our only chance for Ultimate DLC is if there was a new AW being worked on and a character was added in to promote said game.

Otherwise yeah, it would probably be next game. By then i'm 99.9% sure it'll be revived and will have a character in Smash 6. Wargroove, IMO is going to be the catalyst for a new game that we need. I'm really surprised to see how well the game is doing on the Switch EShop Charts.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
By then i'm 99.9% sure it'll be revived and will have a character in Smash 6.
Wow, that's some confidence; idk if we're quite out of the woods yet no matter how well Wargroove does.

But nonetheless I'm still very hopeful for the series' revival.

--

As a tangentially related note, it seems like a lot of people are beginning to worry about Three Houses as we haven't heard anything since the E3 trailer.

It would not be great if Fire Emblem had to stomach another delay, as that would potentially push back the rest of IS's timeline.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Wow, that's some confidence; idk if we're quite out of the woods yet no matter how well Wargroove does.

But nonetheless I'm still very hopeful for the series' revival.

--

As a tangentially related note, it seems like a lot of people are beginning to worry about Three Houses as we haven't heard anything since the E3 trailer.

It would not be great if Fire Emblem had to stomach another delay, as that would potentially push back the rest of IS's timeline.
Ehh, I don't think there's going to be much of a delay if any. They might just opt to give it a release in June-August and give it 3-5 months of build. They did the same thing for Fates/Echoes in 2015/2017 and it did just fine. It has more to do with just timing and whathave you.

Not only that but it's been Nintendo's MO to do these kinds of things in recent years. Hence the 6 month pre-release cycle for Ultimate.

Whatever's in IS's pipeline, I doubt it's been impacted that much.

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
Wargroove succeeding would just lead to worsening standards. Case in point, a contrast to what I'm complaining about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hwthmq-B3o

Even if you might think I'm nitpicking, the problem is when what I complain about against Wargroove, that the forced movement of the Pikemen is without a doubt suboptimal, pops up in the freaking basic gameplay tutorial level. If you take inspiration from Advance Wars, then understand what it did do right. I need only point to the forced movement Mech in the third Field Training mission in AW1 to showcase a direct contrast from the Pikemen mess; you could actually choose poorly with the City choice, not that anybody would in earnest and that's one reason the developers could have thought to swap the City colors to make it interesting (positioning VS value), but there was some freaking trust. Wargroove? There's no benefit to some idiocy like this:
https://i.postimg.cc/rm4hZLB6/Wargroove-Pike-WTH.png
And do not say that the Pikemen could have 2 Range. They don't. The whole point of that forced movement was to teach about just some damage boost. Shattered Throne, by contrast, is quick to wake you up about flanking and player phase friendliness, and it does so in a more organic manner.

I also get to complain about Wargroove's developers too for siding with the toxicity of the Advance Wars subreddit while being full of hubris telling me I didn't know what I'd be talking about with game balance. If you need details on the AW subreddit's own nonsense, you can look on the Pinned comment for this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoP1L8evwDc
Oh, and yes, I'm quite able to handle the ever infamous Rivals AC, so I can tell you that it's at least having a sense of entertainment in air-to-air warfare playing around the Fog of War. I would still never, EVER downplay Rivals AC's Fake Difficulty, but it doesn't change that I'm the first person on YT to have a single segment Perfect S-Rank run recorded. What does the AW subreddit have to do with this? Why, claim I'm somehow an amateur who was "deadweight" to Shattered Throne's balancing job. Because clearly I totally don't ever do Self Imposed Challenges like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EP6_43G91A

At this point, I know I for one am better off doing things like datamining Game Boy Wars 3. At least that way I can learn how programming goes down in general.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Ehh, I don't think there's going to be much of a delay if any. They might just opt to give it a release in June-August and give it 3-5 months of build. They did the same thing for Fates/Echoes in 2015/2017 and it did just fine. It has more to do with just timing and whathave you.

Not only that but it's been Nintendo's MO to do these kinds of things in recent years. Hence the 6 month pre-release cycle for Ultimate.

Whatever's in IS's pipeline, I doubt it's been impacted that much.
Fates sold well but SoV didn't even get half of Awakening's sales so I'd imagine they are planning to promote TH better than they did for SoV.

And I would bet any other development teams probably get borrowed when a game starts to look like it might have to be delayed so it very well could affect any other projects they're working on. Heck there is quite a bit of speculation in the FEH community that their dev team is getting gutted to help with TH which would explain the lower quality banners we've had lately, if a project as profitable as FEH is losing devs I'd guess anything else IS is working on probably is as well.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Wargroove succeeding would just lead to worsening standards. Case in point, a contrast to what I'm complaining about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hwthmq-B3o

Even if you might think I'm nitpicking, the problem is when what I complain about against Wargroove, that the forced movement of the Pikemen is without a doubt suboptimal, pops up in the freaking basic gameplay tutorial level. If you take inspiration from Advance Wars, then understand what it did do right. I need only point to the forced movement Mech in the third Field Training mission in AW1 to showcase a direct contrast from the Pikemen mess; you could actually choose poorly with the City choice, not that anybody would in earnest and that's one reason the developers could have thought to swap the City colors to make it interesting (positioning VS value), but there was some freaking trust. Wargroove? There's no benefit to some idiocy like this:
https://i.postimg.cc/rm4hZLB6/Wargroove-Pike-WTH.png
And do not say that the Pikemen could have 2 Range. They don't. The whole point of that forced movement was to teach about just some damage boost. Shattered Throne, by contrast, is quick to wake you up about flanking and player phase friendliness, and it does so in a more organic manner.

I also get to complain about Wargroove's developers too for siding with the toxicity of the Advance Wars subreddit while being full of hubris telling me I didn't know what I'd be talking about with game balance. If you need details on the AW subreddit's own nonsense, you can look on the Pinned comment for this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoP1L8evwDc
Oh, and yes, I'm quite able to handle the ever infamous Rivals AC, so I can tell you that it's at least having a sense of entertainment in air-to-air warfare playing around the Fog of War. I would still never, EVER downplay Rivals AC's Fake Difficulty, but it doesn't change that I'm the first person on YT to have a single segment Perfect S-Rank run recorded. What does the AW subreddit have to do with this? Why, claim I'm somehow an amateur who was "deadweight" to Shattered Throne's balancing job. Because clearly I totally don't ever do Self Imposed Challenges like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EP6_43G91A

At this point, I know I for one am better off doing things like datamining Game Boy Wars 3. At least that way I can learn how programming goes down in general.
holy text batman

But in all seriousness, Wargroove isn't 1:1 Advance Wars so it's to be expected that it's not going to replicate everything about the game. The fact that it's one of the few AW inspired indies to faithfully capture the AW charm and it's gameplay innovating from AW is good enough for me. And keep in mind a new Advance Wars made by IS wouldn't even be like Wargroove most likely.
Fates sold well but SoV didn't even get half of Awakening's sales so I'd imagine they are planning to promote TH better than they did for SoV.

And I would bet any other development teams probably get borrowed when a game starts to look like it might have to be delayed so it very well could affect any other projects they're working on. Heck there is quite a bit of speculation in the FEH community that their dev team is getting gutted to help with TH which would explain the lower quality banners we've had lately, if a project as profitable as FEH is losing devs I'd guess anything else IS is working on probably is as well.
That being said, in a recent investor meeting Nintendo confirmed that FE:TH is still Spring 2019-bound. So there doesn't seem to be any big changes.
Now, an article about Chucklefish:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._making_tools_that_turn_players_into_creators

As it happens, Wargroove is their first game that's made in-house.
That's pretty cool. It's awesome to see the love that went in to making this game. Wargroove's success is well earned.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
This is interesting, now CF has launched a level-making contest:

http://www.nintendolife.com/competi..._wargroove_and_win_yourself_a_nintendo_switch
Sweet, I just started playing Wargroove today and it's really good. It has so many features that I think a new Advance Wars could have. Create-A-Campaign is something that left me wondering how IS never implemented that in any AW. That and properties being able to defend themselves IIRC.

Feel free to share your experiences of the game here guys. I'm curious to hear what you guys think of the game so far.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yo I think people might be wanting a new Advance Wars for some reason...

Well, that was fast, they got post-launch support on the mind:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/02/wargroove_will_receive_regular_updates_free_content_and_dlc

And wouldn't you know it, a physical edition is planned. SPEN18 SPEN18 can rejoice.
What I love about indie games is how they release DLC for free. Whereas AAA games charge you almost the full game's price for all their DLC. Super excited to see what CF has planned for their downloadable content.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I saw the game was top of the eShop charts. I think it shows people are hungry for Advance Wars and there is a market there.

I like the game so far. It's solid but the character portraits are pretty awful. Shame because the characters could be cool otherwise. Themes are a little underwhelming but not bad.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I saw the game was top of the eShop charts. I think it shows people are hungry for Advance Wars and there is a market there.

I like the game so far. It's solid but the character portraits are pretty awful. Shame because the characters could be cool otherwise. Themes are a little underwhelming but not bad.
The fact that it so easily topped the charts on launch is very promising. I believe this game is an easy million seller across all platforms if not the Switch alone. And yes, there is a market for TBS games. I wish IS would actually see this and take it in.

Art could be better agreed but the game's aesthetic has it's charm. Characters have funny quirks to them similar to Advance Wars CO's.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I hope we get some real sales figures on Wargrove soon.

Just like how IS better take notes and realize that there is demand for traditional war tactical games like Advance Wars. This serious would really benefit from a come back.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yo anyone else think Hachi is running some shady underground business we don't know about? :confused:

I wonder who exactly deals him all this stuff lol.
I hope we get some real sales figures on Wargrove soon.

Just like how IS better take notes and realize that there is demand for traditional war tactical games like Advance Wars. This serious would really benefit from a come back.
Yeah that's the hope for all of us no doubt. Just waiting for CF to release the results whenever they do that. No doubt they breached the million mark by now.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Here's a thought exercise. Not saying this is likely, but...

What if there are people that notice how far of a shot Andy is and will end up supporting Mercia instead?
Yo I glanced at your post initially and I misread it as "What if Andy ended up supporting Merica?" And I was all like "Well duh, Andy is technically American since Orange Star is based off the US". :lol:

But with that being said, Mercia is a much bigger longshot IMO. Since there's yet to be any indie character in Smash and that would most likely be Shovel Knight or Shantae. Plus, the stigma of sword characters and Mercia looks like an FE character lol. If there was an Advance Wars revival which I honestly believe is inevitable following Wargroove's success, an Advance Wars character is very likely. Hopefully that's Andy even if he has to be an Echo Fighter of whatever new AW protag is added in.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yo I glanced at your post initially and I misread it as "What if Andy ended up supporting Merica?" And I was all like "Well duh, Andy is technically American since Orange Star is based off the US". :lol:

But with that being said, Mercia is a much bigger longshot IMO. Since there's yet to be any indie character in Smash and that would most likely be Shovel Knight or Shantae. Plus, the stigma of sword characters and Mercia looks like an FE character lol. If there was an Advance Wars revival which I honestly believe is inevitable following Wargroove's success, an Advance Wars character is very likely. Hopefully that's Andy even if he has to be an Echo Fighter of whatever new AW protag is added in.
Yeah that is true. Even Quote could get in first.

That being said, I guess the whole "troops supporting their commander" concept is enough to carry the both of them if they somehow both got in, the main difference being their weapons of predilection (in so much as a wrench can be considered a weapon, anyway).

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah that is true. Even Quote could get in first.

That being said, I guess the whole "troops supporting their commander" concept is enough to carry the both of them if they somehow both got in, the main difference being their weapons of predilection (in so much as a wrench can be considered a weapon, anyway).
Plus one hails from a modern setting (Andy) and the other a fantasy setting (Mercia). Given how many fantasy characters we have, a modern character would stand out more and would bring more to the table moveset wise.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
There's a survey "State of Switch" currently going on Reddit. There's a question "Which Nintendo franchise would you most like to see on the Switch?". It's a nice time to get our voice heard, wouldn't it?
I saw that survey and Advance Wars was the series I chose for "what franchise you want to see on the Switch?". I mean that comes to no surprise to anyone here but still lol.

Keep in mind Wars placed #6 on a poll done on rNintendoSwitch last year about which franchises people wanted to see on the system and since then, it's risen to #3 with Smash Bros, Animal Crossing, and Mario Party all confirmed/released. So I expect it to do well here in addition to that poll.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
I already filled out that "State of the Switch" thingy.

Picking between Golden Sun and Advance Wars was very difficult. Ultimately I wrote Golden Sun, but at the end there was a place where you could write in any other comments you wanted, and I mentioned bringing back Advance Wars in there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom