• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orange Star's Hyperactive Whiz Kid! - Andy For Smash Ultimate! We'll Live To Fight Another Day...

Favorite Advance Wars Game (Not Including pre-AW and Battalion Wars)

• Total voters

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So I guess it's kind of like Mystery Dungeon and mainline Pokémon, then? Still the same IP but more of a spinoff than a mainline game?
Yeah pretty much. Their both in the same series.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I apologize for bumping the thread again but I wanted to make an interesting observation in light of Joker's reveal from 2 weeks ago. Particularly, the comment Hitagi made about Advance Wars last month and then what he would later go on to say about Joker. And afterwards, I want to talk about a kinda tinfoil-y theory I had in my head for a while.

What Hitagi said last month...

Not that I have ever heard of it, but I don't think an Advance wars character was ever talked about
And what Hitagi said in light of Joker's reveal...

Ya they kept Joker on lock for the longest time. I NEVER heard of him as an actual character. He was never even talked about period. To all those I said I didn't hear anything, I ACTUALLY NEVER HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT Joker. So ya, wow, have fun with Joker
Do you see how similar the wording was for both? Granted in no way am I trying to imply Joker from Persona and Advance Wars are one in the same but the implication is there. Hitagi stated in his post that "Advance Wars was never talked about" and would later go on to say the same thing about Persona. So it seems there's a lot of characters that the leakers don't know about because the info is kept tight-lid. It's not the deconfirm people thought it was a month ago.

Of course, i'm not deluded. As it is right now, there's no way Advance Wars stands a chance in hell of getting a DLC character short of having a revival on the Switch. And that's kinda the theory I wanted to share with you guys. Mind you, this entire theory hinges on Advance Wars getting a new game in 2020 so if that doesn't happen, then it's good as dead. This is also a pretty long post so i'm putting it in spoiler tags.

1) Lack of Representation in Smash Ultimate

This is the most obvious point as we all talked about. Advance Wars is the only noteworthy series to be severely lacking in content outside Spirits (which pretty much every series got). When you think about all the unrepresented Nintendo franchises in Smash (like the noteworthy ones), they all got representation in the form of an Assist Trophy, Mii Costume, or a Music Track. Let me illustrate that more clearly...

AT: Golden Sun, ARMS, Fatal Frame, Dillion's Rolling Western, Art Academy, Mysterious Murasame Castle (Takamaru), Starfy, To Whom the Bell Tolls (Sable Prince), Nintendog (because you never know lol), Swapnote (I guess), Brain Age, Nintendo Badge Arcade
Mii Costume: Golden Sun, Sin & Punishment, Custom, Robo, Panel de Pon, ARMS, Chibi-Robo, Nintedo LABO
Music Track: Rhythm Heaven, Codename STEAM, as well as the carry over tracks Golden Sun & Panel de Pon had before

Notice how Advance Wars is the only one missing? Strange how a series with that much history isn't given any of these 3 things. It's AT was mysteriously cut and unlike the Sin & Punishment AT, the series wasn't given a Mii Costume to compensate. You would think a series like this wouldn't be cast aside like that. Like many others, I was really disappointed at that but maybe there's a method to the madness?

2) Intelligent Systems delaying FE Three Houses among other things

I also brought this up before but I think this is more of a thing to give FE Three Houses it's own release window. Mainly because had it released this year, it would have been completely overshadowed by Smash Ultimate and no one would care. This way, they give it a good 4 months of marketing and all their pre-E3 hype will go towards that game mostly.

But...I think there's a little more to it than that.

You gotta think that Three Houses has been in development for a really long time. The game was announced back in January 2017 and was most likely in development even before that. Sure, there was Echoes on the 3DS but according to the devs themselves, that game would have released in the Fall of 2016 but had to pushed back to not compromise it's quality. Meaning it was most likely done around that time. There was also FEW and WWG Intelligent Systems worked on but in the former's case it was mostly Koei Tecmo and Team Ninja handling development. And then for the latter it was mostly old microgames being ported to the 3DS and probably not even the same dev team. So for the past 2 years or so, Intelligent Systems hasn't been working on much aside from FE Three Houses. What else could they have done in that time?

People will be quick to bring up the May 2017 interview when the producer of Echoes made the infamous "Advance Wars needs FE relationships to succeed" comment which made everyone go crazy and all. But I don't look at that as a hard deconfirm as others would suggest. Well for one, I believe most of that was PR talk even if a lot of it held true. Advance Wars, whether we like it or not is going to to have to have a strong emphasis on character relationships and the story of the individual CO's. And you also gotta remember in the same interview they mentioned a lot of staff at IS is interested in reviving Advance Wars and are hopeful they get to work on the series again. The interest is clearly there from not only the fans but the devs themselves as well.

So what changed since then? Well, namely the influx of Advance Wars-inspired indies that have come out in waves in recent times (we're talking like late-2016/early-2017). Think about all the Advance Wars indies that have been popping up since then. You got Tiny Metal, Wargroove, Into the Breach, among countless others that are being announced left and right in absence of any official Advance Wars title. The demand for a new Advance Wars is clearly there for all these indie developers to continue pumping out Advance Wars-like games. Especially Wargroove which is being published by the same company that did Stardew Valley. Not to mention all the buzz and love Wargroove got and is still getting since it was revealed almost 2 years ago.

I don't doubt for a second that Nintendo/Intelligent Systems isn't taking this all in. They gotta be seeing all this and recognizing the money they could be making releasing a new Advance Wars on the Switch especially given the potential the series has on that platform. I mean the Switch itself is literally what Wars 64 was going to be before it got cancelled way back when. We're talking about the possibility for creating maps, sharing them on the go, and of course battling it out in local multiplayer anywhere. It's something that has a huge marketing pull in addition to online multiplayer on the Switch. And lets not also forget the potential for cutscenes in-game which is something the series never got due to the limitations of the GBA/DS and all systems before that. There's so much more the series has to give and the Switch is said vehicle for that opportunity.

And even if Intelligent Systems was working on a new FE remake game immediately after Three Houses, I don't think it spells the end for Advance Wars. Naturally, 2020 being FE's 30th anniversary would almost guarantee a new game of sorts. Whether that's through a remake, spinoff, or whatever. But at the same time, they're going to have to let the releases "breathe" in a sense that it's not one after the other. I.e. Any FE game that releases in 2020 would have to be late in 2020 to give it distance from Three Houses unless it's a spinoff or what have you and not to eat in to each other's sales. So that leaves the door open to a potential Advance Wars revival early on in 2020. Especially if it started development in 2017 or 2018. Some things to consider here and why there might exist a chance for Advance Wars. At least a better outlook than the past couple of years.

So naturally, that's why I think there exists the possibility of Advance Wars not only getting revived but if it happens there also being a DLC character in Smash Ultimate. It's not something to put stock in but as I said, a lot of things to take in. If there was a new game, then certianly there would be a character to represent the franchise to promote it's release. Whether that be Andy or a new Advance Wars protag.

And regarding my announcement, i'll share info on that about a week from now. Rest assured, I haven't forgotten.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, it seems insiders are getting a track record of dismissing characters that are a sure thing (case in point, Verge with :ultkrool:), so you're probably on to something. We'll see what happens by a couple of years though, it might be cool.

What is undeniable is that AW sure lacks logical spirits (no Max or Sami, yet Eagle and Olaf are around) and even a returning AT. That feels a bit off.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well, it seems insiders are getting a track record of dismissing characters that are a sure thing (case in point, Verge with :ultkrool:), so you're probably on to something. We'll see what happens by a couple of years though, it might be cool.

What is undeniable is that AW sure lacks logical spirits (no Max or Sami, yet Eagle and Olaf are around) and even a returning AT. That feels a bit off.
I mean in this case if said new AW doesn't happen by 2020 or there's no new announcement by E3, then the theory is as good as dead as I mentioned. There's no guarantee of Wave 2 DLC for Smash Ultimate and I think Sakurai will work on a new project after DLC. Of course he could always let his team continue working on the game but that's something I don't see him doing.

Leakers do have their cred but they're not always 100% right. If their sources get bad, misleading info, then naturally they won't know of something. Hence why I didn't think Hitagi's comment on AW was a deconfirm in that sense.

AW is missing a lot of Spirits like Sami, Max, Nell, and for that matter anyone from DoR. The AT disappearing is even more bizarre.

Of course, if Andy were to be added as DLC, they could always use his AW1 design as his Fighter Spirit seeing as his AW2 design is used for the Spirit Battle.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
What Hitagi said last month...

And what Hitagi said in light of Joker's reveal...

Do you see how similar the wording was for both? Granted in no way am I trying to imply Joker from Persona and Advance Wars are one in the same but the implication is there. Hitagi stated in his post that "Advance Wars was never talked about" and would later go on to say the same thing about Persona. So it seems there's a lot of characters that the leakers don't know about because the info is kept tight-lid. It's not the deconfirm people thought it was a month ago.
Well, with Hitagi retracting a lot of their statements and Joker being revealed (IIRC Hitagi straight-up said no Atlus rep), I don't think that they're a reliable source for Smash. Doesn't mean they are wrong about everything, and there's still strong evidence that they do have some real industry sources, but I wouldn't put too much stock in what they say at this point.

As for the theory:

For point 1, we've learned from Isaac that mysteriously missing content doesn't necessarily mean anything. But I agree that it is strange that AW would get even less than its IS breathren Panel de Pon and Codename: STEAM, which are both smaller series than AW. Unfortunately, it seems that the horrendous mishandling of the AW series in Japan is the most likely reason for the lack of content.

As for Three Houses, it has indeed been in development for quite some time, but that just makes it harder to gauge what IS is doing. The simplest answer is that Three Houses has taken a lot of work to develop, as it is the first console FE since Radiant Dawn. Having just Warriors and WarioWare between SoV and TH is not that much, but TH was supposed to be done this year, so given that SoV was released in the first half of 2017, it isn't that much time between FE games. It is likely, however, that IS already has at least a handle on what their next FE project will be since TH is probably nearing completion. As for what games could be released between now and the next FE game, there's actually a decent number of possibilities. It's almost certain that the next FE game after TH will be on Switch and use the same engine as TH, so yes, there is time for an AW game by 2020, or at least by 2021. Whether or not that's what they're doing is uncertain, though. They might instead do a couple of smaller projects like bringing WarioWare to Switch, which I'm sure a lot of people would like, or they could be making another smaller game like Pushmo. Basically, IS is almost certainly gonna release at least one game between TH and the next FE game, so we gotta hold out hope that AW is the franchise that they'd pick.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well, with Hitagi retracting a lot of their statements and Joker being revealed (IIRC Hitagi straight-up said no Atlus rep), I don't think that they're a reliable source for Smash. Doesn't mean they are wrong about everything, and there's still strong evidence that they do have some real industry sources, but I wouldn't put too much stock in what they say at this point.

As for the theory:

For point 1, we've learned from Isaac that mysteriously missing content doesn't necessarily mean anything. But I agree that it is strange that AW would get even less than its IS breathren Panel de Pon and Codename: STEAM, which are both smaller series than AW. Unfortunately, it seems that the horrendous mishandling of the AW series in Japan is the most likely reason for the lack of content.

As for Three Houses, it has indeed been in development for quite some time, but that just makes it harder to gauge what IS is doing. The simplest answer is that Three Houses has taken a lot of work to develop, as it is the first console FE since Radiant Dawn. Having just Warriors and WarioWare between SoV and TH is not that much, but TH was supposed to be done this year, so given that SoV was released in the first half of 2017, it isn't that much time between FE games. It is likely, however, that IS already has at least a handle on what their next FE project will be since TH is probably nearing completion. As for what games could be released between now and the next FE game, there's actually a decent number of possibilities. It's almost certain that the next FE game after TH will be on Switch and use the same engine as TH, so yes, there is time for an AW game by 2020, or at least by 2021. Whether or not that's what they're doing is uncertain, though. They might instead do a couple of smaller projects like bringing WarioWare to Switch, which I'm sure a lot of people would like, or they could be making another smaller game like Pushmo. Basically, IS is almost certainly gonna release at least one game between TH and the next FE game, so we gotta hold out hope that AW is the franchise that they'd pick.
Yeah Golden Sun got the rough end of things in Smash 4 even more so 3DS where there was absolutely no Golden Sun content whatsoever. And as a small rebuttal, Codename STEAM flopped in Japan (as well as everywhere for that matter) and yet it got like 4 tracks in this game. IDK what's up for that to happen.

And yeah I agree with what you said. There's a lot of routes IS could take after TH. There's def going to be some sort of FE game(s) in 2020 and of course the inevitable Paper Mario in 2020/2021. Just gotta hope Advance Wars can be squeezed in somewhere in all of that. Hopefully no later than 2021 because then they're just wasting a huge opportunity by that point.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
And yeah I agree with what you said. There's a lot of routes IS could take after TH. There's def going to be some sort of FE game(s) in 2020 and of course the inevitable Paper Mario in 2020/2021. Just gotta hope Advance Wars can be squeezed in somewhere in all of that. Hopefully no later than 2021 because then they're just wasting a huge opportunity by that point.
I can see them doing some smaller projects, like remaking the Ike games, porting Paper Mario or WarioWare Switch. Especially the PM Color Splash port seems pretty likely to me, so that series would be outta the way then. Assuming that WW and FE remakes won't take too much effort, I guess there could be something Wars related within the next 2-3 years.

Or they may simply ditch WarioWare for 1-2 Switch and develop WarioWars instead.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I can see them doing some smaller projects, like remaking the Ike games, porting Paper Mario or WarioWare Switch. Especially the PM Color Splash port seems pretty likely to me, so that series would be outta the way then. Assuming that WW and FE remakes won't take too much effort, I guess there could be something Wars related within the next 2-3 years.

Or they may simply ditch WarioWare for 1-2 Switch and develop WarioWars instead.
Oh yeah I def think porting Ike's games is something they would do especially since they mentioned after Echoes that their wouldn't be any plans for remakes in the near future. Granted, I thought it was only for that particular time (like before Three Houses) but the more I think about it, I don't think they'll be diving in to that anytime soon outside new titles and sequels. But porting the Tellius games to the Switch would make sense given that those games flopped hard for different reasons and that they're not remakes. It'd be nice if they got their fair shake this time.

And if that were the case, that would def open the door to a new Advance Wars by that specific team within Intelligent Systems (the one that does turn-based strategy games so I hear). I don't necessarily think a new/old Paper Mario would get in the way of that but then again a lot of staff in IS shifts between projects. WarioWare Switch may or may not happen. WarioWare Gold didn't do too well but that's to be expected given that everything on the 3DS doesn't do well. My guess is that it happens but maybe not within another 2-3 years.

Lastly as an aside, I think it would be a colossal waste of time to be holding off on a Wars game for longer than 2021 as I mentioned. Coming off the heels of Wargroove and others, the demand for a new Advance Wars is there. Intelligent Systems waiting on a new entry like this isn't a smart business move and likewise would be a better idea to release a game early on in 2020 provided said game was in development in 2017/2018 as I mentioned before.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Am I the only one that thinks they just won’t make Paper Mario anymore? I get the feeling that it’s just dead.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Am I the only one that thinks they just won’t make Paper Mario anymore? I get the feeling that it’s just dead.
I doubt it personally. I mean Color Splash didn't do well but that was a Wii U title and the tail end of the Wii U's life nonetheless.

According to VGChartz, the game did just under 900K units. Which is actually kinda impressive given what I mentioned above. That being said, most of it's sales came from North America and Europe. In Japan, the game flopped almost as hard as Codename STEAM did (doing only ~80K units). So for that reason alone, I can see IS not being eager to make a new entry so quickly.

But if they did discard the franchise, then it would have welcome company with other neglected IS franchises like Advance Wars, Panel de Pon, and Codename STEAM. We could always use some more friends. :bee:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Actually, I don't think remakes or ports of the Tellius games are very likely. They probably would have to be more than just ports; the cutscenes and graphics still look good but would likely require a fair bit of touching up. Radiant Dawn in particular is also decently long for a Fire Emblem game. Also, the games are aging but are not so old that a remake would look super amazing compared to the original. They gave SoV a complete makeover, and I don't see something that drastic in the works yet for Tellius. IMO the most likely games for remakes are FE4 and FE6; they'd be like completely new games for many in the West and have a lot of room for improving on the mechanics. FE4 in particular fits well with the Fateswakening relationship stuff, whereas FE6 would seek to capitalize on Roy's SSB Fame.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Actually, I don't think remakes or ports of the Tellius games are very likely. They probably would have to be more than just ports; the cutscenes and graphics still look good but would likely require a fair bit of touching up. Radiant Dawn in particular is also decently long for a Fire Emblem game. Also, the games are aging but are not so old that a remake would look super amazing compared to the original. They gave SoV a complete makeover, and I don't see something that drastic in the works yet for Tellius. IMO the most likely games for remakes are FE4 and FE6; they'd be like completely new games for many in the West and have a lot of room for improving on the mechanics. FE4 in particular fits well with the Fateswakening relationship stuff, whereas FE6 would seek to capitalize on Roy's SSB Fame.
Maybe. The last comment IS made in 2017 was that they had no plans for any FE remake at that point of time. Granted it was only a year and a half ago, I doubt they're in any serious plans of making a new remake or whatever.

Higuchi: We don’t have concrete plans for any more remakes, but if the opportunity arises, I’d love to do a remake of Famicom Wars.
And thankfully, he mentioned Wars in that interview as a potential remake he'd want to do. Granted it was Famicom Wars but if they tweaked a lot of the game it could be great. Anything to get back the Wars series.

Goodness gracious Intelligent Systems, let these guys do a new Advance Wars already.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Given that other people are/have been making Advance Wars-style games (WarGroove, Tiny Metal, Into the Breach), Nintendo probably would be accused of ripping those off somehow if they put out a new AW, since some new journalists and gamers likely wouldn't bother to do much research.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
https://mynintendonews.com/2018/12/25/nintendo-trademarks-advance-wars/

Advanced Wars got a trademark renewal it seems standard so it's probably nothing but nice to see Nintendo remembers it at least.
We exist.exe

Man I want this to amount to something but I honestly doubt it. Just happy that the trademark was renewed finally.

Who knows tho, Stranger things have happened. I would still be super hyped for an Advance Wars collection or whatever.
Given that other people are/have been making Advance Wars-style games (WarGroove, Tiny Metal, Into the Breach), Nintendo probably would be accused of ripping those off somehow if they put out a new AW, since some new journalists and gamers likely wouldn't bother to do much research.
Trust me, for as click-baity all those news sites and articles are, they're not that dense to make stupid accusations like that. Everyone would collectively roast them if they tried to make that assertion and rightfully so.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
We exist.exe

Man I want this to amount to something but I honestly doubt it. Just happy that the trademark was renewed finally.

Who knows tho, Stranger things have happened. I would still be super hyped for an Advance Wars collection or whatever.

Trust me, for as click-baity all those news sites and articles are, they're not that dense to make stupid accusations like that. Everyone would collectively roast them if they tried to make that assertion and rightfully so.
Well, that's fair.

In any case, a difference must be made in order for the AW fans to be noticed someday, ballot or no ballot.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well, that's fair.

In any case, a difference must be made in order for the AW fans to be noticed someday, ballot or no ballot.
We will regardless of what happens. Wargroove's sales will hopefully send said message.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Merry Xmas, guys.
Hope you're all having a good time.
Hopefully we get AW something going into the new year.
Happy Holidays to you and everyone else here. Hope your all having a great one.

I wish there would be some kind of Advance Wars release either a new game or a collection of sorts. Or just port AW1 to the Switch as I mentioned with online capabilities. It's the least we could get in lieu of a new entry.

Or better yet, a miracle scenario where we get that announced along with a new entry on the Switch sometime in 2020.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Considering most sites reported on those games as ‘Advance Wars-style game’ I think we’re safe on that front. Although we might have some dumb Youtubers and the children that watch them spouting stupidity for a short bit.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
https://mynintendonews.com/2018/12/25/nintendo-trademarks-advance-wars/

Advanced Wars got a trademark renewal it seems standard so it's probably nothing but nice to see Nintendo remembers it at least.
It has a bit of meaning.

The trademark was made for “video game program”, “downloadable video game program” and “program for smartphones”.

Now I could’ve have shrugged it off a bit since the first two I suppose are pretty standard, but the last one is the most interesting one. What does Advance Wars have to with smartphones?

I don’t want to get false hopes up, but maybe they’re planning to do something for the series? After the statement that the team were still interested in working with AW, and seeing how it seems that IS doesn’t really have a lot going on other than finishing the development of Three Houses, maybe they were able to squeeze AW in? And if that were the case, the other two would also make sense.

So far, Nintendo seems to still want to keep a hold of the series at least.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It has a bit of meaning.

The trademark was made for “video game program”, “downloadable video game program” and “program for smartphones”.

Now I could’ve have shrugged it off a bit since the first two I suppose are pretty standard, but the last one is the most interesting one. What does Advance Wars have to with smartphones?

I don’t want to get false hopes up, but maybe they’re planning to do something for the series? After the statement that the team were still interested in working with AW, and seeing how it seems that IS doesn’t really have a lot going on other than finishing the development of Three Houses, maybe they were able to squeeze AW in?
I'm pretty sure Golden Sun had that "smartphone" tidbit in it's trademark as well. The other ones also had that info in it's trademark though i'm curious if the Savvy Stylist one had it as well.

That's the hope for all of us but i'm pretty mixed on that. I want to believe it to be true as I stated in my theory at the top of the page but I dunno. There has been a lot of AW-indies out there so maybe that was the wake up call to get started on a new game. I can't say for sure.

My dream scenario for E3 or any Direct this year is for both Advance Wars and Golden Sun to be announced in the same event. That would be a dream come true to have both of those series back.
Considering most sites reported on those games as ‘Advance Wars-style game’ I think we’re safe on that front. Although we might have some dumb Youtubers and the children that watch them spouting stupidity for a short bit.
Well yeah a lot of YT'ers have the most dumb, cringeworthy titles that are obviously meant to rile people up or otherwise click on their videos. We should never in any scenario take these people seriously.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
My dream scenario for E3 or any Direct this year is for both Advance Wars and Golden Sun to be announced in the same event. That would be a dream come true to have both of those series back.
Yeah that would probably be the best Nintendo Direct I've ever seen. Golden Sun and Advance Wars are both among my favorite game franchises.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah that would probably be the best Nintendo Direct I've ever seen. Golden Sun and Advance Wars are both among my favorite game franchises.
Same. I place them in my Top 10 games i've played.

Although i've been debating whether I like AW1 better or AW2. AW2 has a lot of neat features that really up'd it's predecessor but AW1 had this artstyle/aesthetic that gave it such a unique charm. Like the CO's reaction in game when there would be a skirmish. The artstyle in that game aged so well that you could sell it in 2018/2019 and it would look just as great. AW2 unfortunately lacks that despite it's improvements.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Although i've been debating whether I like AW1 better or AW2. AW2 has a lot of neat features that really up'd it's predecessor but AW1 had this artstyle/aesthetic that gave it such a unique charm. Like the CO's reaction in game when there would be a skirmish. The artstyle in that game aged so well that you could sell it in 2018/2019 and it would look just as great. AW2 unfortunately lacks that despite it's improvements.
I guess I like AW1 better by default because it's the one I've played the most over the years and the one that got me into the series. But I do like a lot of the AW2 COs, and AW2 does have a pretty sizeable amount of content.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I guess I like AW1 better by default because it's the one I've played the most over the years and the one that got me into the series. But I do like a lot of the AW2 COs, and AW2 does have a pretty sizeable amount of content.
It does. And TBH, I think AW2 is a lot better for newer players. Well I mean Dual Strike is the easiest to get in to but AW2 is relatively easier than it's predecessor. I dunno why they kept lowering the difficulty tho methinks it has to do with AW1's grueling Advance Campaign lol. Even I have troubles doing that in my replays.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Happy New Year folks. Here's hoping this is the year where Advance Wars makes it's big return. E3 maybe? I at least hope so.

To celebrate, here are some sweet Advance Wars pins created by Twitter user V-James.

Man I want me these pins. They look so good lol.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Ura Ura are you still working on that plan for Advance Wars advocacy?
Yeah it's still in the works. Trying to brainstorm ways in which said movement can reach a broad audience and not just a couple people.

I'm also thinking of timing this with the release of Wargroove where fan interest will be at an all time high.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Look what I just found in the shop

Nice find dude. I've been looking all over for a used copy of Advance Wars but I never seem to find it anywhere. I guess the used game shops around me just suck lol.

Still trying to snag a used copy of Days of Ruin since it's not going to be released on the Wii U E-Shop anytime soon. Most used copies are running for like 40-50+ dollars which is a bit too much IMO.

Last edited:

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
Oh sweet, how much did it set you back?
Was £12.

Looking back on older games, I got Order of Ecclesia for £50 so I think this was definitely a dope deal.

Nice find dude. I've been looking all over for a used copy of Advance Wars but I never seem to find it anywhere. I guess the used game shops around me just suck lol.

Still trying to snag a used copy of Days of Ruin since it's not going to be released on the Wii U E-Shop anytime soon. Most used copies are running for like 40-50+ dollars which is a bit too much IMO.
Yeah, I was kinda on a spree when I spent that much on older games; I don't think I could rationalize spending that much now lol
Guess it depends on how likely you are to see that game again.

Saw an older Harvest Moon a friend wanted and when I went into the store the next day it was gone :[

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So I had a thought yesterday pertaining to how the future of Advance Wars post-Days of Ruin could have been if certain circumstances were different. And it's a question i'd like to pose to you guys as well.

What do you think would have happened if FE Awakening was a commercial failure and Intelligent Systems went along and killed the franchise?

At a surface level, one might think it would be a good thing for Wars but I actually thought about it some more and maybe that isn't the case. For one, I think Intelligent Systems would have lost faith in any turn-based strategy game succeeding and might have done away with both. At the same time FE Awakening was happening, Paper Mario was still doing big numbers for Intelligent Systems. This leads me to believe that if a scenario like this happened, Intelligent Systems would have spent all of 2012-2017 (possibly even longer) milking the hell out of Paper Mario. Codename STEAM probably still would have happened but likewise it would have failed regardless as well.

Of course Color Splash was bound not to do well after Sticker Star so that might have muddied things. Maybe they would have returned to Advance Wars early on in the Switch's life after that? It's something to think about I guess.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
So I had a thought yesterday pertaining to how the future of Advance Wars post-Days of Ruin could have been if certain circumstances were different. And it's a question i'd like to pose to you guys as well.

What do you think would have happened if FE Awakening was a commercial failure and Intelligent Systems went along and killed the franchise?

At a surface level, one might think it would be a good thing for Wars but I actually thought about it some more and maybe that isn't the case. For one, I think Intelligent Systems would have lost faith in any turn-based strategy game succeeding and might have done away with both. At the same time FE Awakening was happening, Paper Mario was still doing big numbers for Intelligent Systems. This leads me to believe that if a scenario like this happened, Intelligent Systems would have spent all of 2012-2017 (possibly even longer) milking the hell out of Paper Mario. Codename STEAM probably still would have happened but likewise it would have failed regardless as well.

Of course Color Splash was bound not to do well after Sticker Star so that might have muddied things. Maybe they would have returned to Advance Wars early on in the Switch's life after that? It's something to think about I guess.
I think I could see one of two things happening,

1 - Similar to how the SMT series got a huge boost in popularity with the spinoff series Persona, I could almost see them attempting to "water down" the Fire Emblem elements or even drop them altogether and try to follow the success of Persona coming out with a Fire Emblem spinoff.
2 - Similar to how Camelot ended up, they start doing sports/party/casual games and never do anything else. (not saying that Camelot is doing those because their games were flops but its hard to deny the sports games sell better)

I kinda don't think either scenario would have done anything for Advanced Wars other than possibly if there is now a tactical-RPG hole in the market it could maybe go there but if IS couldn't get Fire Emblem to fill it I don't know if they would be eager to try with a different franchise.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I think if Fire Emblem failed Intelligent Systems would have become the Paper Mario factory, much like how Camelot became the Mario Sports factory after Dark Dawn’s failure.

Pushmo would have probably still happened but I don’t think Codename Steam would.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I think I could see one of two things happening,

1 - Similar to how the SMT series got a huge boost in popularity with the spinoff series Persona, I could almost see them attempting to "water down" the Fire Emblem elements or even drop them altogether and try to follow the success of Persona coming out with a Fire Emblem spinoff.
2 - Similar to how Camelot ended up, they start doing sports/party/casual games and never do anything else. (not saying that Camelot is doing those because their games were flops but its hard to deny the sports games sell better)

I kinda don't think either scenario would have done anything for Advanced Wars other than possibly if there is now a tactical-RPG hole in the market it could maybe go there but if IS couldn't get Fire Emblem to fill it I don't know if they would be eager to try with a different franchise.
Don't know much about SMT/Persona but I don't see how doing something like that would help FE. Wouldn't that just be Fates X 10?

In any case, FE would be dead after Awakening's failure. I don't think it would have another chance. Advance Wars might have been even further down the drain as well unless Intelligent Systems was willing to give that series another chance which I don't think is likely.
I think if Fire Emblem failed Intelligent Systems would have become the Paper Mario factory, much like how Camelot became the Mario Sports factory after Dark Dawn’s failure.

Pushmo would have probably still happened but I don’t think Codename Steam would.
STEAM would have def still happened but regardless of the circumstance, it was bound to fail. And I think that might have been the point where IS gives up on anything strategy related and does what Camelot does. Except that they would have Paper Mario to do in addition to being given other Mario spinoffs.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
STEAM would have def still happened but regardless of the circumstance, it was bound to fail. And I think that might have been the point where IS gives up on anything strategy related and does what Camelot does. Except that they would have Paper Mario to do in addition to being given other Mario spinoffs.
But its not like Paper Mario is exactly selling gang-busters either so if they didn't have anything else successful coming out its not like that would prop them up.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
But its not like Paper Mario is exactly selling gang-busters either so if they didn't have anything else successful coming out its not like that would prop them up.
At the time of Awakening, Sticker Star was doing really big numbers. I don't doubt that IS would be chugging out Paper Mario after Paper Mario until that started to go on the decline. In which case IDK what would happen after. Maybe IS would request to start doing Mario sports spinoffs to keep their company afloat, following the Camelot model.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Yeah, I think most groups came out ahead with Awakening's success. FE failing would probably be the end for AW as well. Idk what IS would do without FE, so it's probably a good thing that they poured everything into Awakening and it mostly worked.

Awakening is not my favorite FE game, but I enjoyed it. Some pieces of Awakening irked me; I'm not a huge fan of time traveling stories except for particular cases, I thought the Pair Up system was creative but poorly balanced, and the relationship stuff wasn't up my alley. But I ended up spending quite a bit of time with it, and there were enough characters and interesting maps that I liked.

Top Bottom