• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orange Star's Hyperactive Whiz Kid! - Andy For Smash Ultimate! We'll Live To Fight Another Day...

Favorite Advance Wars Game (Not Including pre-AW and Battalion Wars)

• Total voters

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
A collection would be great, but I think that would be more likely in the next Nintendo Direct and not the VGA’s.
True that. Those kinds of things are more suited for Directs but there was the rumor of the Metroid Prime Trilogy being ported to the Switch. And also Bayo 1 & 2 was announced last year tho that was tied in with Bayo 3's announcement.
Yeah, I doubt AW is big enough a name to justify showing it off at the awards.

Still, a collection would be good, if it can help bolster Andy's chances of support more than poor Isaac.
It might not be but like, Advance Wars is a series beloved by western fans and that's the base TGA appeals to the most so I would think it'd be an ideal time to reach a broader base. But you're right in saying that it would be saved off for something akin to a Direct.

It would not only give the series some attention but also it would be the first thing we get in over a decade. And also a proper way to re-introduce the franchise before the series makes it's big return whenever that might be.

Also, it wouldn't be that costly development wise right? Aside from online infrastructure and what have you.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Didn't they add online features for a lot of the NES games available through Switch Online?

If we got GBA games through that service (I'd prefer straight-up VC but it looks like that's not happening RIP), then I could see them putting in some system for sharing high scores in the War Room and such, maybe even online multiplayer as you suggested (at least it still has local).

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Didn't they add online features for a lot of the NES games available through Switch Online?

If we got GBA games through that service (I'd prefer straight-up VC but it looks like that's not happening RIP), then I could see them putting in some system for sharing high scores in the War Room and such, maybe even online multiplayer as you suggested (at least it still has local).
That was my idea for a new Advance Wars back when I thought it would have a chance to be released early on in the Switch's cycle (like around launch window).

Basically all of AW1 with online multiplayer (think like casual play and ranked play) as well as high scores as you mentioned. Local play would obv still be a thing.

They could prob sell that for $20 and it'd sell really well.

Last edited:

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Yeah, I doubt AW is big enough a name to justify showing it off at the awards.

Still, a collection would be good, if it can help bolster Andy's chances of support more than poor Isaac.
Yeah, they usually go for the bigger names there. Which is why if the SE rep is announced there then it won’t be Geno. So hopefully that isn’t the case.

AW and GS have been dormant for awhile. They’d be announced at Nintendo only events.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah, they usually go for the bigger names there. Which is why if the SE rep is announced there then it won’t be Geno. So hopefully that isn’t the case.

AW and GS have been dormant for awhile. They’d be announced at Nintendo only events.
Well that or E3 of course. Big revivals usually happen at E3 like Golden Sun in 2009 and Metroid in 2017.

Although what i'm saying is that there might be a really slim chance. Not enough to get your hopes up but like Advance Wars is a series western gamers love so it'd make sense as a TGA announcement theoretically speaking.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Well that or E3 of course. Big revivals usually happen at E3 like Golden Sun in 2009 and Metroid in 2017.

Although what i'm saying is that there might be a really slim chance. Not enough to get your hopes up but like Advance Wars is a series western gamers love so it'd make sense as a TGA announcement theoretically speaking.
It does surprise me with the huge success of FE in the last few years that we haven’t gotten any word of a new AW game. Feels like this is the perfect time.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It does surprise me with the huge success of FE in the last few years that we haven’t gotten any word of a new AW game. Feels like this is the perfect time.
Well TBH my thought process back then was that the success of Awakening would translate to a new AW on the 3DS...and that never happened. :(

I dunno when the new AW will happen. I mean I can say with 99.9% confidence there's going to be a new entry before the next console happens but i'm not sure when. My gut feeling tells me 2021 for some reason. I would say 2020 but that's FE's 30th anniversary and there's most likely going to be another FE game that year I bet.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
If we want to see a new Advance Wars we have to support games like it such as Wargroove.

Show IS/Nintendo that
A. There's a market for strategy games like this.
B. Waifus aren't needed in Advance Wars to do well.

Though I wonder if Three Housees including Armies is a homage to Wars.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
If we want to see a new Advance Wars we have to support games like it such as Wargroove.

Show IS/Nintendo that
A. There's a market for strategy games like this.
B. Waifus aren't needed in Advance Wars to do well.

Though I wonder if Three Housees including Armies is a homage to Wars.
Yeah I mentioned that before but we really need to get behind Wargroove and really show the demand for a new Advance Wars is there. Hell, the existence of all these spiritual successors to Advance Wars like Wargroove, Tiny Metal, Into the Breach, Warbits, among countless others is proof that the love for this series is going strong even in it's big absence.

Three Houses I don't believe is taking from Wars in it's gameplay. Some people say that but I honestly don't see it.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So I know I alluded to an "announcement of sorts" last month that I would share in December regarding the "fan-movement" thing I talked about...

I still plan on doing all of that but with the Game Awards happening, Smash Ultimate's release, and of course Christmas, I don't want this thing to get drowned out by all of that. So the timing of this announcement is going to be meticulously set out so it doesn't clash with these things.

Nevertheless stay tuned, this is going to be interesting to say the least.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
So I know I alluded to an "announcement of sorts" last month that I would share in December regarding the "fan-movement" thing I talked about...

I still plan on doing all of that but with the Game Awards happening, Smash Ultimate's release, and of course Christmas, I don't want this thing to get drowned out by all of that. So the timing of this announcement is going to be meticulously set out so it doesn't clash with these things.

Nevertheless stay tuned, this is going to be interesting to say the least.
Thanks for the reminder. I'm looking forward to seeing what we're gonna do for this series moving forward!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So I noticed something weird about the nomenclature of the Advance Wars spirits. The Infantry & Tanks spirit is listed under "Famicom Wars" Series and the artwork IIRC references Game Boy Wars 3.
But then the rest of the spirits (Andy, Eagle, and Olaf) are labeled under "Advance Wars" Series.

I have no idea why they made this distinction given that it is the same series. Unless all this time the Infantry & Tanks AT was supposed to reference Famicom Wars and not Advance Wars?

****'s confusing lol. Either way I hope we get Advance Wars Mii Costume(s) through DLC. Being limited to Spirits isn't doing the series much justice.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
So I noticed something weird about the nomenclature of the Advance Wars spirits. The Infantry & Tanks spirit is listed under "Famicom Wars" Series and the artwork IIRC references Game Boy Wars 3.
But then the rest of the spirits (Andy, Eagle, and Olaf) are labeled under "Advance Wars" Series.

I have no idea why they made this distinction given that it is the same series. Unless all this time the Infantry & Tanks AT was supposed to reference Famicom Wars and not Advance Wars?

****'s confusing lol. Either way I hope we get Advance Wars Mii Costume(s) through DLC. Being limited to Spirits isn't doing the series much justice.
Switch the Language to Japanese, so I can see if the Tanks are labelled within the same series as Advance Wars. I wonder who would get the Mii Outfit, maybe Andy, the Tanks & Infantry are too generic to be Mii outfits.?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Switch the Language to Japanese, so I can see if the Tanks are labelled within the same series as Advance Wars. I wonder who would get the Mii Outfit, maybe Andy, the Tanks & Infantry are too generic to be Mii outfits.?
No this is all done in the same version. The screenshots I posted are from the Spirits Gallery showcasing all the spirits in the game. I & T are listed under Famicom Wars while the CO's are under Advance Wars. I don't see the reason for the distinction.

As for the Mii Costumes, Andy should be a Mii Swordfighter and the Infantry as a Mii Gunner. Maybe also have Will as a Mii Brawler? Days of Ruin didn't get any references even as Spirits so I think it'd be a way to throw that game a bone.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
No this is all done in the same version. The screenshots I posted are from the Spirits Gallery showcasing all the spirits in the game. I & T are listed under Famicom Wars while the CO's are under Advance Wars. I don't see the reason for the distinction.

As for the Mii Costumes, Andy should be a Mii Swordfighter and the Infantry as a Mii Gunner. Maybe also have Will as a Mii Brawler? Days of Ruin didn't get any references even as Spirits so I think it'd be a way to throw that game a bone.
Actually in Japan, the GBA Advance Wars game are called Gameboy Wars Advance, so I can see why Advance Wars and Famicom Wars are separate. This is another era of games after all, probably to bridge the gap between the non-CO games and the CO games. The first DS game of the series in Japan was called Famicom Wars DS but would still go w/Gameboy Wars Advance Series.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Actually in Japan, the GBA Advance Wars game are called Gameboy Wars Advance, so I can see why Advance Wars and Famicom Wars are separate. This is another era of games after all, probably to bridge the gap between the non-CO games and the CO games. The first DS game of the series in Japan was called Famicom Wars DS but would still go w/Gameboy Wars Advance Series.
Well that's fair and all but I don't recall any other distinction like that. It is the same series even despite gameplay differences.

I mean Metroid is all categorized under Metroid right? Otherwise, all the Prime content would be labeled "Metroid Prime" series

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Well that's fair and all but I don't recall any other distinction like that. It is the same series even despite gameplay differences.

I mean Metroid is all categorized under Metroid right? Otherwise, all the Prime content would be labeled "Metroid Prime" series
Screenshot 2018-12-06 at 7.47.19 PM.png
Screenshot 2018-12-06 at 7.42.54 PM.png
When I said changing the Language to Japanese, I mean going to the options menu to this screen and going to the option above which is Japanese. It would then change all of the text to Japanese, along with all of the voices (Such as Mewtwo having those exclusive win quotes). Because if the screenshots you showed earlier was the Language set to Japanese it would match with the text seen for the Spirits seen in the Japanese language.
Screenshot 2018-12-06 at 7.45.50 PM.png
An example would match the text format I've seen with your AW screenshots but they are not the same.

Of course the English and Japanese versions are the same game which can both switch to the JP and ENG language respectively.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
View attachment 181951
View attachment 181949
When I said changing the Language to Japanese, I mean going to the options menu to this screen and going to the option above which is Japanese. It would then change all of the text to Japanese, along with all of the voices (Such as Mewtwo having those exclusive win quotes). Because if the screenshots you showed earlier was the Language set to Japanese it would match with the text seen for the Spirits seen in the Japanese language.
View attachment 181950
An example would match the text format I've seen with your AW screenshots but they are not the same.

Of course the English and Japanese versions are the same game which can both switch to the JP and ENG language respectively.
Nah dude it was all in English. It was taken from a YT video showcasing the Spirits Gallery as I mentioned before.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Hm...the distinction between Famicom and Advance Wars is weird, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. They probably thought it would be weird to put the Advance Wars label on a game that came out before that title was used. It's also very likely that they added the Spirits at different points of development and didn't think twice about coming up with a proper naming convention for the series, especially since it's considered an "Other" series. If Wars had a bigger role in the game with playable representation, they'd probably be united under one series name.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Y'know watching the Persona trailer got me thinking. It's a series that traditionally sells around the 700-800K mark like Advance Wars. Maybe that gives a shred of hope to this series getting a character?

And also DLC is made of characters "fans wouldn't expect". Advance Wars absolutely fills that criteria albeit not being relevant.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Y'know watching the Persona trailer got me thinking. It's a series that traditionally sells around the 700-800K mark like Advance Wars. Maybe that gives a shred of hope to this series getting a character?

And also DLC is made of characters "fans wouldn't expect". Advance Wars absolutely fills that criteria albeit not being relevant.
Pikmin had the level of Sales that Golden Sun had at the time. Though Pikmin was a trophy in Melee while Golden Sun had no representation in that game. Olimar was chosen over Isaac though in Brawl.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord

Well by "characters you wouldn't expect," I unfortunately think he means more third party crossovers, which is a bummer. But it's also just general PR talk, so I wouldn't read too much into it.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Pikmin had the level of Sales that Golden Sun had at the time. Though Pikmin was a trophy in Melee while Golden Sun had no representation in that game. Olimar was chosen over Isaac though in Brawl.
Yeah but Persona has traditionally done AW-like sales numbers in the past which is why I mentioned it. It does inspire a bit of confidence if any.
Well by "characters you wouldn't expect," I unfortunately think he means more third party crossovers, which is a bummer. But it's also just general PR talk, so I wouldn't read too much into it.
There's no indication that Reggie was talking specifically about third parties. It easily applies to first party ones as well.

Though I do agree a lot of what he said was more of a marketing thing. "Unexpected" could easily be a way for fans to be hopeful of their favorite characters who otherwise don't have much of a chance.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Overall I'd say Joker's reveal doesn't change Andy's situation too much. One one hand there's the possibility for more new franchises, but on the other most of those are likely to be third party.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Overall I'd say Joker's reveal doesn't change Andy's situation too much. One one hand there's the possibility for more new franchises, but on the other most of those are likely to be third party.
Yeah i'd agree with that sentiment. Although never say never I guess.

DLC will be 80% third party methinks.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
eah i'd agree with that sentiment. Although never say never I guess.

DLC will be 80% third party methinks
Yep, no matter who gets revealed we just keep showing support for our boy, regardless of his chances

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Persona 5 sold 2 million though, I don’t think we can boast that.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yep, no matter who gets revealed we just keep showing support for our boy, regardless of his chances
Most definitely. Which ties in to what i'll announce later in the month.
Persona 5 sold 2 million though, I don’t think we can boast that.
True that. I was looking at sales figures from VGCHARTZ.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Nah dude it was all in English. It was taken from a YT video showcasing the Spirits Gallery as I mentioned before.
2018120900205300-0E7DF678130F4F0FA2C88AE72B47AFDF.jpg
Well I got the Hawke Spirit, and Switched the Language to Japanese. The spirit of the series its called for the Advance Wars Spirits is called Game Boy Wars Series for the Japanese language.
ゲームボーイウォーズ which is Game Boy Wars

And no, the YT video was only set on the English language it was not in the Japanese language.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
View attachment 182332
Well I got the Hawke Spirit, and Switched the Language to Japanese. The spirit of the series its called for the Advance Wars Spirits is called Game Boy Wars Series for the Japanese language.
ゲームボーイウォーズ which is Game Boy Wars

And no, the YT video was only set on the English language it was not in the Japanese language.
Yeah the YT video I got the screenshots from were in English.

So yeah that's even more confusing given that Advance Wars had the title "Game Boy Wars Advance" for the GBA titles but then reverted back to the "Famicom Wars" naming for Dual Strike and Days of Ruin.

I think going forward, anything entry in the series needs to carry the title "Famicom Wars" in Japan and "Advance Wars" in all other regions. Or better yet, carry the "Advance" naming in all regions for consistency? I think that might be better for the franchise. "Switch Wars" doesn't carry the same feeling to it as some suggest.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Yeah the YT video I got the screenshots from were in English.

So yeah that's even more confusing given that Advance Wars had the title "Game Boy Wars Advance" for the GBA titles but then reverted back to the "Famicom Wars" naming for Dual Strike and Days of Ruin.

I think going forward, anything entry in the series needs to carry the title "Famicom Wars" in Japan and "Advance Wars" in all other regions. Or better yet, carry the "Advance" naming in all regions for consistency? I think that might be better for the franchise. "Switch Wars" doesn't carry the same feeling to it as some suggest.
For the Spirits case, I think they want to separate because one was on Console while the other is on console. The reason its called Famicom Wars for the DS games in Japan was probably because the GBA games were in a compilation (which meant the GBA Wars name was released that way once in Japan), or the Advance part on Game Boy Advance Wars was probably too long for a title.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
If it was up to me I'd just use the Advance Wars name for everything because it sounds just fine, at least in English. "Advance" fits the series even without the context of the GBA.

But more likely, they'll just call it "Wars" if we do get a PC

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
For the Spirits case, I think they want to separate because one was on Console while the other is on console. The reason its called Famicom Wars for the DS games in Japan was probably because the GBA games were in a compilation (which meant the GBA Wars name was released that way once in Japan), or the Advance part on Game Boy Advance Wars was probably too long for a title.
I think it was called "Game Boy Wars Advance" in Japan because it was still apart of the Game Boy-line kind of. But like how Advance Wars didn't change when it made the move to the DS, the series also dropped "Game Boy Wars" shortly after. Even Battalion Wars carries the "Famicom Wars" naming despite it having nothing to do with each other.

But as I mentioned, the series carrying "Advance" in it's name in all of it's releases would help greatly.
If it was up to me I'd just use the Advance Wars name for everything because it sounds just fine, at least in English. "Advance" fits the series even without the context of the GBA.

But more likely, they'll just call it "Wars" if we do get a PC
I don't think they'll just call it "Wars" really. I mean it's possible but chances are they're going to want to adapt the "Advance" title to the game. For people outside Japan, it doesn't even have much ties to the GBA at all given it was the name used in the DS releases.

I think using a similar name in Japan would work well to give consistency. Because a new Advance Wars would likely (and hopefully) release worldwide and giving the name unity in all of it's releases would help strengthen it's brand recognition. And TBH, neither Famicom Wars or Game Boy Wars would work well as much in today's age IMO. Especially Game Boy Wars which has strong ties to the Game Boy-line that was discontinued a long time ago.
It looks like Andy's spirit battle is with Dr Mario]/SPOILER]
Yeah we found out about that some time ago.

Although I gotta say, it's really cool to see so many people reminiscing about Advance Wars after seeing Andy's spirit in game. People are hungry for a new installment of the franchise and it shows.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
It looks like Andy's spirit battle is with Dr Mario]/SPOILER]
Still a little surprised at both how Andy isn't possessing Pit for his Spirit Battle, and how Wars as a whole doesn't have many characters appear as Spirits like Sami, Max, Nell, Jake, Rachel, Will, Isabella, etc.

BTW, semi-unrelated question. Just what IS Battalion Wars' relation to the Wars series?

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Still a little surprised at both how Andy isn't possessing Pit for his Spirit Battle, and how Wars as a whole doesn't have many characters appear as Spirits like Sami, Max, Nell, Jake, Rachel, Will, Isabella, etc.
I think they chose Dr. Mario because Andy's CO power has a healing effect, and the fact that you have to fight an army of them makes sense for Advance Wars.
I agree that the Spirit choices were weird for AW. I like Eagle and Olaf, but the characters you listed are probably more important to the series.
And as for Battalion Wars, I'm not super familiar with it either lol

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah Andy should have possessed Pit instead of Doctor Mario. Granted Doc has a similar niche as Andy (healing and all) but Andy is so similar to Pit that it's a huge wasted opportunity to not have him be his Spirit.
I think they chose Dr. Mario because Andy's CO power has a healing effect, and the fact that you have to fight an army of them makes sense for Advance Wars.
I agree that the Spirit choices were weird for AW. I like Eagle and Olaf, but the characters you listed are probably more important to the series.
Yeah. I figure Sakurai might have liked Eagle and Olaf better or found them more interesting to have then Sami, Max, and Nell. Even the Days of Ruin cast apparently who got no Spirits at all in this game.

Still glad he came true for my boy tho. :)
BTW, semi-unrelated question. Just what IS Battalion Wars' relation to the Wars series?
And as for Battalion Wars, I'm not super familiar with it either lol
It's a Real-Time Strategy game released on the Gamecube and the Wii. It's gameplay differs from Advance Wars obviously but it has a similar charm with it's humor and light-hearted take on war. Also has the same ranking system Advance Wars has (Speed, Power, and Technique).

It is apart of the Wars series even though it's from a different developer and has different branding. "Battalion" I believe was used to make sure consumers didn't buy the game expecting it to be like Advance Wars. As a matter of fact, the initial name for Battalion Wars when it was revealed at E3 2004 was "Advance Wars: Under Fire" but it got changed to Battalion Wars later.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the fact that the Battalion games carry on the "Famicom Wars" branding in Japan. I guess they didn't bother to distinguish the two.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
It's a Real-Time Strategy game released on the Gamecube and the Wii. It's gameplay differs from Advance Wars obviously but it has a similar charm with it's humor and light-hearted take on war. Also has the same ranking system Advance Wars has (Speed, Power, and Technique).

It is apart of the Wars series even though it's from a different developer and has different branding. "Battalion" I believe was used to make sure consumers didn't buy the game expecting it to be like Advance Wars. As a matter of fact, the initial name for Battalion Wars when it was revealed at E3 2004 was "Advance Wars: Under Fire" but it got changed to Battalion Wars later.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the fact that the Battalion games carry on the "Famicom Wars" branding in Japan. I guess they didn't bother to distinguish the two.
So I guess it's kind of like Mystery Dungeon and mainline Pokémon, then? Still the same IP but more of a spinoff than a mainline game?

Top Bottom