• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orange Star's Hyperactive Whiz Kid! - Andy For Smash Ultimate! We'll Live To Fight Another Day...

Favorite Advance Wars Game (Not Including pre-AW and Battalion Wars)

• Total voters

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yo we're officially in the 1,000 post territory guys! This is a milestone because none of the previous Andy threads from the Brawl/Smash 4 days have ever made it close to this. Hell, Andy's Smash 4 page didn't even last 10 pages.

And on that note, we're in the Top 15 threads. Top 10 if you want to exclude deconfirmed characters.
Do you have the source for this?

I cannot find its origin either; what a mystery
It was on Google Drives along with all the other leaked spirits but I can't seem to get to that page anymore for some reason.

If you search around for it long enough I think you'll come across it.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
It was on Google Drives along with all the other leaked spirits but I can't seem to get to that page anymore for some reason.

If you search around for it long enough I think you'll come across it.
Well, I have heard that Nintendo likes to employ ninjas as security...

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well, I have heard that Nintendo likes to employ ninjas as security...
Oh yes of course. The ninjas always find their way around to the leakers lol.

Although it's funny that the leaked WoL cutscenes are still up from what I last checked.
Welp I'm honored to have post #1000.

Didn't even notice it lol!
TBH I was really looking forward to this moment because there's never been a thread that lasted as long as this one. Most of them were like really inactive, having 7-8 posts every couple of months or so before vanishing in to obscurity. Glad we're not letting the same happen here. I have y'all to thank for that lol.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh yes of course. The ninjas always find their way around to the leakers lol.

Although it's funny that the leaked WoL cutscenes are still up from what I last checked.
Maybe the music included some tracks that would hint at upcoming characters, which may be why the uploaded OST got taken down after the 600+ mark.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah there was a Banjo track that was taken down from YT which is suspect given that other fan remixes didn't get taken down. I mean they outta' know that them taking down only of the fan remixes was going to lead to some questions.

I'm hoping that means good things for Banjo personally even though i'm doubtful of his chances due to some remarks from insiders.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah there was a Banjo track that was taken down from YT which is suspect given that other fan remixes didn't get taken down. I mean they outta' know that them taking down only of the fan remixes was going to lead to some questions.

I'm hoping that means good things for Banjo personally even though i'm doubtful of his chances due to some remarks from insiders.
Even the insiders aren't sure what the flying hell is going on anymore, so who knows what'll happen.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Even the insiders aren't sure what the flying hell is going on anymore, so who knows what'll happen.
That's true. Verge said he heard of a Minecraft boss that wasn't found in the game's files and Hitagi is saying Steve is outright a fighter. Of course while I believe both are in the know on a lot of Smash stuff, they have backpedaled before so it's not like their info is always 100% correct. Case in point, Katlina and the "reshuffling" of rumored characters they heard about.

I guess the optimistic side of me just wants to believe Banjo will be in lol. Funny to think both Banjo and Advance Wars haven't seen a new game since 2008 lol.
Despite everything, we kept on chugging past 1000 posts. Good job lads.
Ain't nothing gonna bring us down. We refuse to die lol.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's true. Verge said he heard of a Minecraft boss that wasn't found in the game's files and Hitagi is saying Steve is outright a fighter. Of course while I believe both are in the know on a lot of Smash stuff, they have backpedaled before so it's not like their info is always 100% correct. Case in point, Katlina and the "reshuffling" of rumored characters they heard about.

I guess the optimistic side of me just wants to believe Banjo will be in lol. Funny to think both Banjo and Advance Wars haven't seen a new game since 2008 lol.
The only thing we have to go on from Verge right now is that one character "has had the most work done into them". Whoever that will be should be made clear in the following months, if anyone.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The only thing we have to go on from Verge right now is that one character "has had the most work done into them". Whoever that will be should be made clear in the following months, if anyone.
Was that the Square Enix character all the insiders have been talking about? Or someone different?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So far it's leaning towards SE character. Although I think it could just as easily be someone else.

And some paranoid Chicken Little folks assume it'd be a Style Savvy character with 8 different alts.
Obv it means an Advance Wars character sillies.

Right? :lol:

*really wants to believe it true*

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Ooh new stuff from Verge?
I didn't see that yet.

But could it also be related to the alleged "cut first party character" found by the data mine?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Ooh new stuff from Verge?
I didn't see that yet.

But could it also be related to the alleged "cut first party character" found by the data mine?
I don't know either which is why I asked the thread. I was thinking it might be the SE character he and the others were talking about.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord

I think they just removed a bunch of content because a Golden Sun remix was taken down too.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
don't know either which is why I asked the thread. I was thinking it might be the SE character he and the others were talking about.
It very well could be the Square character.

But there was some leaker saying that Cloud was one of the last characters to be added (can't remember who it was or how credible they were), so if this true then I doubt a second Square character would've had significant development done one them. Also the alleged cut first party character lines up with Verge saying that one character is ahead of the others in development; being cut from base would explain why they're further along. But at the same time, Sakurai said the DLC wasn't started yet (IIRC; correct me if I'm wrong). So who knows.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I think they just removed a bunch of content because a Golden Sun remix was taken down too.
Yeah there's a chance they might have went on a killing spree on most of the videos without regard of which ones were leaked and which ones were fan-made lol. Still want to believe tho.
It very well could be the Square character.

But there was some leaker saying that Cloud was one of the last characters to be added (can't remember who it was or how credible they were), so if this true then I doubt a second Square character would've had significant development done one them. Also the alleged cut first party character lines up with Verge saying that one character is ahead of the others in development; being cut from base would explain why they're further along. But at the same time, Sakurai said the DLC wasn't started yet (IIRC; correct me if I'm wrong). So who knows.
Can you give me a source where Verge says a first party character was cut? I'd love to see that.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Can you give me a source where Verge says a first party character was cut? I'd love to see that.
The alleged cut character is not from Verge. Sorry if my wording was weird.

The cut character is speculated based on the datamine, so not 100% confirmed, and not directly related to Verge.

But if Verge said one character is further along in development than the others, it could line up with a character being cut.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The alleged cut character is not from Verge. Sorry if my wording was weird.

The cut character is speculated based on the datamine, so not 100% confirmed, and not directly related to Verge.

But if Verge said one character is further along in development than the others, it could line up with a character being cut.
So where's the source for the cut character? I mean there was the datamine but did anyone explicitly say it?

Just wondering because this could be huge if a credible source backed that up. Aside from the guy that said Chun-Li was cut.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
So where's the source for the cut character? I mean there was the datamine but did anyone explicitly say it?

Just wondering because this could be huge if a credible source backed that up. Aside from the guy that said Chun-Li was cut.
https://twitter.com/steveng86/status/1066848921153126400

Not sure where their credibility comes from, but there were also people talking about it I think in the General Thread of these Boards.

Ignore the MH part; people later confirmed that if this points to a character being cut it would certainly be first party. This is due to it being between Inkling and Incineroar, with the way the characters were organized.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
https://twitter.com/steveng86/status/1066848921153126400

Not sure where their credibility comes from, but there were also people talking about it I think in the General Thread of these Boards.

Ignore the MH part; people later confirmed that if this points to a character being cut it would certainly be first party. This is due to it being between Inkling and Incineroar, with the way the characters were organized.
It could be but it could also just have been a placeholder for whatever character they wanted.

And also this would go against what Sakurai said of them not cutting any fighters right? He mentioned that in a recent interview.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
It could be but it could also just have been a placeholder for whatever character they wanted.

And also this would go against what Sakurai said of them not cutting any fighters right? He mentioned that in a recent interview.
Yeah that's why I'm skeptical of it. Just thought it was worth mentioning because it lined up with what you guys were saying about Verge.

Sakurai's comments seemed to suggest that there were no cut fighters, although it wasn't outright saying that.

"We decide on the fighters from the very early planning stage, and from there, we calculate and begin production. We don’t add or remove any characters during the project. " - Sakurai

Seems like a very general blanket statement. I think he's mostly saying that the roster is pretty much decided from the start, as we know. When he says "we don't add or remove any character during the project" I interpret it more like "we don't plan on changing the roster during development.

Of course, you could interpret it as Sakurai saying that there were no cut characters in this particular game, but the interviewer's question was also very general: "While every character in Super Smash Bros. history is in this game, several new characters have also been added. What is the process of deciding new characters to add to the roster? "

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah that's why I'm skeptical of it. Just thought it was worth mentioning because it lined up with what you guys were saying about Verge.

Sakurai's comments seemed to suggest that there were no cut fighters, although it wasn't outright saying that.

"We decide on the fighters from the very early planning stage, and from there, we calculate and begin production. We don’t add or remove any characters during the project. " - Sakurai

Seems like a very general blanket statement. I think he's mostly saying that the roster is pretty much decided from the start, as we know. When he says "we don't add or remove any character during the project" I interpret it more like "we don't plan on changing the roster during development.

Of course, you could interpret it as Sakurai saying that there were no cut characters in this particular game, but the interviewer's question was also very general: "While every character in Super Smash Bros. history is in this game, several new characters have also been added. What is the process of deciding new characters to add to the roster? "
Huh? I guess it's a "wait and see" kind of thing. The rumor mill is going to be spilling a bunch of different stuff in the weeks/months to come methinks.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Huh? I guess it's a "wait and see" kind of thing. The rumor mill is going to be spilling a bunch of different stuff in the weeks/months to come methinks.
Yeah almost everything we've seen so far has been stuff that can really go either way.

Like do Spirits disconfirm characters? Do ATs? Lol I dunno.

And Hitagi was looking pretty reliable but he's since retracted the vast majority of his statements. Verge also hasn't given much concrete info to go on besides the Square rep (which is a bit surprising given how uncooperative Square has seemed to be so far) and the Minecraft boss (which Verge himself is still confused about). And then this recent comment about one character being further into development than the others, which is vague at best. Datamined stuff is still mainly speculation (in terms of trying to determine DLC chars), though it could maybe turn out to be something.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah almost everything we've seen so far has been stuff that can really go either way.

Like do Spirits disconfirm characters? Do ATs? Lol I dunno.

And Hitagi was looking pretty reliable but he's since retracted the vast majority of his statements. Verge also hasn't given much concrete info to go on besides the Square rep (which is a bit surprising given how uncooperative Square has seemed to be so far) and the Minecraft boss (which Verge himself is still confused about). And then this recent comment about one character being further into development than the others, which is vague at best. Datamined stuff is still mainly speculation (in terms of trying to determine DLC chars), though it could maybe turn out to be something.
AT's probably do but Spirits i'm thinking prob not since Sakurai referred to them as a replacement for Trophies.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
I find it weird that Japan at one point asked for Infantry & Tanks to be in Brawl but not specifically a CO from the GBA/DS era of games. Beyond that, I've never seen Infantry & Tanks asked in Japan ever again. In Japan, the series did not start with any CO which means the series wasn't initially identified with characters. It seems that asking for a CO to be in Smash is more specifically a non-Japanese voted choice.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I find it weird that Japan at one point asked for Infantry & Tanks to be in Brawl but not specifically a CO from the GBA/DS era of games. Beyond that, I've never seen Infantry & Tanks asked in Japan ever again. In Japan, the series did not start with any CO which means the series wasn't initially identified with characters. It seems that asking for a CO to be in Smash is more specifically a non-Japanese voted choice.
Was that the Brawl fan poll they did? I recall something of that nature happening around 2006-ish.

I think Infantry & Tanks did get some support but yeah I think Advance Wars having a bad break there multiple times over caused it to not get much support. And that Japan would be more nostalgic for the 6 games that came before Advance Wars.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Was that the Brawl fan poll they did? I recall something of that nature happening around 2006-ish.

I think Infantry & Tanks did get some support but yeah I think Advance Wars having a bad break there multiple times over caused it to not get much support. And that Japan would be more nostalgic for the 6 games that came before Advance Wars.
Yeah it was an old poll, no COs in the poll, but its the closest thing to what Japan wants for Wars representation in Smash.
https://smashboards.com/threads/characters-on-sakurais-poll.71872/

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah it was an old poll, no COs in the poll, but its the closest thing to what Japan wants for Wars representation in Smash.
https://smashboards.com/threads/characters-on-sakurais-poll.71872/
Well at least they asked for something from the franchise period. It amazes me that they even asked for that given how nothing after Game Boy Wars 3 caught on there.

Y'know that's going to be a huge sticking point for any new Advance Wars. If it doesn't do well in Japan, then it's going to fade in to obscurity again. The only way to get around that hurdle is if it did crazy well in the West like Metroid but that's a special exception given how popular it is.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Yeah Golden Sun has the same problem to a lesser degree. Both franchises seem to appeal a bit more to Westerners.

IDK how they would make the series appeal more to Japan, though. Any ideas?

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Yeah Golden Sun has the same problem to a lesser degree. Both franchises seem to appeal a bit more to Westerners.

The only thing I can think of is add more Japanese references, as Advance Wars honestly feels to me like it was created with the West in mind, whether intentional or not.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

The only thing I can think of is add more Japanese references, as Advance Wars honestly feels to me like it was created with the West in mind, whether intentional or not.
Anime yo. It sells. :shades:

But for realzies, I think an aesthetic similar to Valkyrie Chronicles would really help for a new Advance Wars. I mean it's not what I would want ideally but I think something like that would appeal to a broader range of people. And it's not like it would have to lose it's "Advance Wars-feel". You can still have all the silliness associated with the franchise but like in a more anime way lol.

That and well, a more character driven game I think. Going back to the big discussion of how to make CO's more integral to the story and gameplay we had in this thread. More focus on the world and the characters/nations of the game.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Anime yo. It sells. :shades:

But for realzies, I think an aesthetic similar to Valkyrie Chronicles would really help for a new Advance Wars. I mean it's not what I would want ideally but I think something like that would appeal to a broader range of people. And it's not like it would have to lose it's "Advance Wars-feel". You can still have all the silliness associated with the franchise but like in a more anime way lol.

That and well, a more character driven game I think. Going back to the big discussion of how to make CO's more integral to the story and gameplay we had in this thread. More focus on the world and the characters/nations of the game.
Yeah I haven't got my mind set on any particular art style.

And in my last post I was gonna say that all this "appealing to JP" talk was making me try to picture Andy anime-style. Anyone got fan art of that?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah I haven't got my mind set on any particular art style.

And in my last post I was gonna say that all this "appealing to JP" talk was making me try to picture Andy anime-style. Anyone got fan art of that?
Well Andy himself is like one foot in the door cartoon and the other foot in the door anime right? Unless you're talking like FE/Xenoblade kind of anime in which case that's basically Rex from XC2 lol.

There was also this fanart of Andy in the style of Puyo Puyo as well I posted a while ago.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Well Andy himself is like one foot in the door cartoon and the other foot in the door anime right? Unless you're talking like FE/Xenoblade kind of anime in which case that's basically Rex from XC2 lol.
Lol I don't even watch anime, so when I say "anime" I pretty much just mean FE/Xeno :/

But yeah Andy is kinda halfway there

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So I know it's highly unlikely and all that stuff...

But what if somehow an Advance Wars Collection got announced at The Game Awards? I would really like that and it'd be something for the franchise in lieu of a new game. And that would give new fans a way to experience the franchise without having to have a Wii U or spending money on a used GBA/Advance Wars cartridge.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
I mean, the series is so perfect for the Switch so I'd take it.

I'd really be digging it if they just did a full-on GBA Classic or at least added GBA games to Nintendo Switch Online, though that's a long shot.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I mean, the series is so perfect for the Switch so I'd take it.

I'd really be digging it if they just did a full-on GBA Classic or at least added GBA games to Nintendo Switch Online, though that's a long shot.
Yeah I even pitched the idea of just porting AW1 to the Switch with online play and that'd make for an awesome E-Shop exclusive. The game aged so well that'd it'd look super clean even 18 years later.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
So I know it's highly unlikely and all that stuff...

But what if somehow an Advance Wars Collection got announced at The Game Awards? I would really like that and it'd be something for the franchise in lieu of a new game. And that would give new fans a way to experience the franchise without having to have a Wii U or spending money on a used GBA/Advance Wars cartridge.
A collection would be great, but I think that would be more likely in the next Nintendo Direct and not the VGA’s.

Top Bottom