• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orange Star's Hyperactive Whiz Kid! - Andy For Smash Ultimate! We'll Live To Fight Another Day...

Favorite Advance Wars Game (Not Including pre-AW and Battalion Wars)

• Total voters

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Olaf Spirit in action:

As expected Olaf possesses the Ice Climbers on Battlefield Mode Summit. The floor makes the player freeze every few seconds.
Earlier in the video you can also see Eagle on the Spirits Board, but he didn't choose that one unfortunately. Still no new AW-spirits spotted, though.

He's talking through it, so I unfortunately can't hear what music is playing during the Olaf Spirit match. If it's even Smash music that's playing, that is.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Olaf Spirit in action:

As expected Olaf possesses the Ice Climbers on Battlefield Mode Summit. The floor makes the player freeze every few seconds.
Earlier in the video you can also see Eagle on the Spirits Board, but he didn't choose that one unfortunately. Still no new AW-spirits spotted, though.

He's talking through it, so I unfortunately can't hear what music is playing during the Olaf Spirit match. If it's even Smash music that's playing, that is.
I tried to have a listen and I couldn't make out the track in the video. It doesn't sound Advance Wars to me although it's something I never heard before.

If anyone has a better idea of what it is let me know.

EDIT: The more I listen to it the more it sounds like it could be a different take on Olaf's Theme. Like a more "jovial, lighthearted" version of the track we know from the game. It still has the "wintery" feel to it which makes me think that.

Given how a lot of tracks in this game are different takes on classic tracks, I wouldn't be surprised.

Double EDIT: Actually it sounds more "Pokemon/FE" the more I listen to it. I'd be very surprised but also delighted if it were an Advance Wars remix.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
it could be a different take on Olaf's Theme
lol if they decided to remix Olaf's Theme of all things then I think we'd be in for a pretty decent number of AW tracks

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
lol if they decided to remix Olaf's Theme of all things then I think we'd be in for a pretty decent number of AW tracks
Yeah I listened to it again and I think it's pretty unlikely to be Olaf's theme. Like I had to turn up the volume up really high because of the guy talking in the video and it sounds completely unrecognizable. Unless this remix was a major deviation from the Olaf theme we know of, I can't see it being that. Of course, here's hoping still.

That being said though, it is the Ice Climber stage and IDK what other theme it could be. All the other Misc. themes play there so it's possible it could come from a series not represented with a playable character.

What did you make out of the track BTW? It sounds kinda Pokemon-ish doesn't it? Trying to put my finger on it. It has a winter vibe to it kinda but it's really hard to tell.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
That’d be great.

Edit:
Yeah I listened to it again and I think it's pretty unlikely to be Olaf's theme. Like I had to turn up the volume up really high because of the guy talking in the video and it sounds completely unrecognizable. Unless this remix was a major deviation from the Olaf theme we know of, I can't see it being that. Of course, here's hoping still.

That being said though, it is the Ice Climber stage and IDK what other theme it could be. All the other Misc. themes play there so it's possible it could come from a series not represented with a playable character.

What did you make out of the track BTW? It sounds kinda Pokemon-ish doesn't it? Trying to put my finger on it. It has a winter vibe to it kinda but it's really hard to tell.
Aw.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
That’d be great.

Edit:
Aw.
Well I didn't say it wasn't but I just think listening to it, it hardly resembles the theme we all remember about. Just has a "wintery" feel which I guess is obviously to be expected given it's Olaf and the Ice Climbers lol.

I also posed the question what you guys think it might be. Someone might be more familiar with the track than I am.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Actually, it doesn't sound like Pokémon at all to me. It sounds a lot like one of the FE victory themes but I cannot put my finger on which one it would be. Not 100% on it tho.

Edit: try comparing it to the actual Ice Climbers theme. It gives me that same sort of bouncy vibe that the song in the video does but I have no idea if it's the same. Also an FE track would be weird to have on the IC stage

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Actually, it doesn't sound like Pokémon at all to me. It sounds a lot like one of the FE victory themes but I cannot put my finger on which one it would be. Not 100% on it tho.

Edit: try comparing it to the actual Ice Climbers theme. It gives me that same sort of bouncy vibe that the song in the video does but I have no idea if it's the same. Also an FE track would be weird to have on the IC stage
IDK what Ice Climber track that would be but maybe. I don't know anything about that game's OST lol.

As for the Eagle Spirit, i'm willing to bet it's going to take place on the Pilotwings stage and will have the player constantly fight in the air or else they'll lose.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
IDK what Ice Climber track that would be but maybe. I don't know anything about that game's OST lol.

As for the Eagle Spirit, i'm willing to bet it's going to take place on the Pilotwings stage and will have the player constantly fight in the air or else they'll lose.
just google "Ice Climber theme". The OST for Ice Climber is all of one song lol

And what character would you fight for Eagle?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
just google "Ice Climber theme". The OST for Ice Climber is all of one song lol

And what character would you fight for Eagle?
I'm thinking probably :ultjigglypuff:or :ultpit:given both are exceptional at air-based combat.

Alternatively, they could choose :ultrobin:or:ultcorrin:for having the same hair color lol.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
I'm thinking probably :ultjigglypuff:or :ultpit:given both are exceptional at air-based combat.

Alternatively, they could choose :ultrobin:or:ultcorrin:for having the same hair color lol.
What about Falco lol? He's almost an Eagle

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
What about Falco lol? He's almost an Eagle
**** I knew there was an obvious character I was forgetting lol. He would 100% be Eagle's spirit fight.

As for Andy if he were a spirit, I think it would be :ultpit: given how similar the two are in personality.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
As for Andy if he were a spirit, I think it would be :ultpit: given how similar the two are in personality
Lol now I'm just imagining a Smash game where instead of Pit & Palutena bantering about characters it's Andy just asking great questions like "what's an airport?"
His personality is so fitting for some comedic codec-like conversations

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Lol now I'm just imagining a Smash game where instead of Pit & Palutena bantering about characters it's Andy just asking great questions like "what's an airport?"
His personality is so fitting for some comedic codec-like conversations
I actually brought up the idea of there being Andy codecs where he talked to Max, Sami, and Nell about who he's facing in an old thread. Have Andy/Nell conversing with Pit/Palutena seeing how similar both relationships are.

Or even have all the CO's make cameo's to talk about the characters.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
I actually brought up the idea of there being Andy codecs where he talked to Max, Sami, and Nell about who he's facing in an old thread. Have Andy/Nell conversing with Pit/Palutena seeing how similar both relationships are.

Or even have all the CO's make cameo's to talk about the characters.
lol if only Sakurai had made Advance Wars his pet project instead of Kid Icarus

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So with the Nintendo Live coming up on the 23rd/24th, I think it's likely that we'll see something related to Advance Wars there. Probably some more Spirits and a Mii Costume (s).

I also believe we'll see Andy's spirit shown off somewhere or his track played on a stage.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Y'all probably know this by now but the game is leaking like crazy now due to a store in Mexico selling the game early.

I'm so nervous about Advance Wars potentially not having a track in game. It would really be disheartening to find out there's no remix or even track from that game in Smash. Especially given all the other smaller series with a track in game.

EDIT: I'm looking through the tracks and I couldn't even find a single track from this franchise. **** me if Sakurai couldn't even afford to give this franchise ONE stinking track in the game. He literally can't hate this franchise so much that he gives it no tracks in game and takes out it's Assist Trophy, the only significant form of representation it had before Ultimate.

Last edited:

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Yeah, it sucks. I had hoped to get a track, even if it were just a port of a song.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah, it sucks. I had hoped to get a track, even if it were just a port of a song.
And what really pisses me off even more is how he could have easily ripped a GBA/DS track and called it a day. That would have been A-OK with me. At least there's something of substance that way.

Instead he just said "nah I won't even bother".

I feel very slighted by this.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Yeah haven't been able to find any Advance Wars music.
This is trash. They couldn't have given us even one track? It would have been the smallest of bones to throw.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
This really sucks, considering the breadth of titles music was taken from and the fact that Spirit fights against AW characters were in freaking advertising. Golden Sun got the same raw deal.

Sometimes it really feels like there’s no hope.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah haven't been able to find any Advance Wars music.
This is trash. They couldn't have given us even one track? It would have been the smallest of bones to throw.
This really sucks, considering the breadth of titles music was taken from and the fact that Spirit fights against AW characters were in freaking advertising. Golden Sun got the same raw deal.

Sometimes it really feels like there’s no hope.
Yeah I went on a pretty big tangent about that in the main Smash thread. That really filled me with dread and despair knowing that not only will this series lose it's Assist Trophy but it also won't get any tracks in game. It's very discouraging.

That being said of course, this is almost business as usual at this point for anything Advance Wars related. It sounds very cynical but i'm used to being let down like this.

As I mentioned before, we need to make our voices heard. We need to create something that's...

A) Going to get the attention of fans as well as Nintendo/Intelligent Systems
B) Is going to last and not be a fad (as with many other movements before people stop caring)
C) Have support from many channels so it's not like some run-of-the mill petition you'd find on Change.org

Hopefully, i'll have more info for you guys about this in December when I hope to get this thing started. You might say it's something of a Warzone.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: Editing the post because there's a major revelation. There was a stream that datamined all the Spirits in Ultimate.

In addition to Eagle and Olaf, Andy as well as Infantry & Tanks are confirmed as Spirits. So it looks like it's the end of any chance for Andy being a DLC character, Kinda knew this was going to happen but at least Andy will be in this game in some limited capacity.

Also it appears there's no Spirits for Days of Ruin for some reason.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well, at least Andy didn’t get treated like a second-class citizen. Though for one of Nintendo’s biggest franchises, I expected better treatment than the same thing Hotel Dusk got.

(Before anyone misunderstands, I love Hotel Dusk, but, I mean, c’mon)

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Quick-time. Mii Costumes just got datamined.

Was Andy and/or the Infantry spotted as one of the Mii Costumes?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Sadly it looks like Advance Wars didn't get a Mii costume too. Weirdly enough Vince from Art Academy has a Mii costume by the looks of it. I found a full list here
https://pastebin.com/ZmAnrQJh
Honestly, the only thing that can justify so little Advance Wars content is if it were DLC.

The fact that it goes without an Assist Trophy, any tracks, or any Mii Costumes is beyond ridiculous.

Something has to change.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
We got swindled.
Well I mean I had a pretty good feeling Andy wasn't going to make it in but the fact that there was no Assist Trophy, Mii Costume, or music track is what hurts the most. It's almost as if the series is non-existent in the game. The only silver lining being that Andy will have a Spirit battle in game meaning he and a few others will still have very limited presence in the game.

We were def swindled with Isaac tho. He was a character they should have shown off in the very beginning instead of teasing fans the way they did. Like what did you expect people to think about the Rathalos tweet?

Also, this is the first time i'm seeing you on this thread so may I add you to the support list?

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
Well I mean I had a pretty good feeling Andy wasn't going to make it in but the fact that there was no Assist Trophy, Mii Costume, or music track is what hurts the most. It's almost as if the series is non-existent in the game. The only silver lining being that Andy will have a Spirit battle in game meaning he and a few others will still have very limited presence in the game.

We were def swindled with Isaac tho. He was a character they should have shown off in the very beginning instead of teasing fans the way they did. Like what did you expect people to think about the Rathalos tweet?

Also, this is the first time i'm seeing you on this thread so may I add you to the support list?
Yah, sure, man.
I thought I posted a while ago, before the Direct but I might have forgotten to post.

Having a Spirit battle is definitely better than just being a standard spirit but man, even though the AT was kinda ehh to me, it still feels like they cut a face of AW from Smash. Was really hoping we'd get to see more niche series get some recognition this entry but oh well.
I can hope Advance Wars, Golden Sun and less mainstream series get a sort of revival before the next game.

Sami is my third most wanted after Isaac and Elma.
Also nice avatar; where's is it from?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yah, sure, man.
I thought I posted a while ago, before the Direct but I might have forgotten to post.

Having a Spirit battle is definitely better than just being a standard spirit but man, even though the AT was kinda ehh to me, it still feels like they cut a face of AW from Smash. Was really hoping we'd get to see more niche series get some recognition this entry but oh well.
I can hope Advance Wars, Golden Sun and less mainstream series get a sort of revival before the next game.

Sami is my third most wanted after Isaac and Elma.
Also nice avatar; where's is it from?
Welcome aboard dude!

I wasn't fond of the Infantry & Tanks AT that much and I wanted a CO-related AT to replace it but it was better than nothing. Better than not having an Assist Trophy at all like it does now. I'm really hoping for Advance Wars and Golden Sun revivals sometime in 2020/2021 or early on in the 2020's because that's the only way it ever gets Smash representation. And hopefully there's still Smash DLC going on at the same time. A longshot but still.

I prefer Andy over Sami but hey if she was somehow saved for DLC i'd welcome that lol. I got the avatar from this Twitter account.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Idk about you guys, but I think it's really strange they picked Olaf and Eagle as the Spirits over Sami. Not that I don't like Olaf and Eagle, and Sami isn't even one of my favorite characters from the series, but she's in general pretty popular among Advance Wars fans. Kinda weird she didn't get one.

On a completely unrelated note, I got to play a bit of AW1 over the weekend; missed S Rank on Egg Islands by 3 points lol.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Oh yeah, we finally get to see Andy’s spirit.

9D00624B-3281-48A6-BF13-6B3ECFC770BD.jpeg

He’s a Primary Two-Star spirit. He improves on the player’s grab game.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Oh yeah, we finally get to see Andy’s spirit.

View attachment 179758

He’s a Primary Two-Star spirit. He improves on the player’s grab game.
Lol at Andy having "Advanced" in his title.

As for his Spirit Battle, Andy posses Dr. Mario (his red alt) and you face off against mini-Snake's who Dr. Mario (possessed by Andy) can heal when at high percents. Really sucks that they couldn't have Andy be an Assist Trophy at the least.

Also it's odd that there's no Days of Ruin characters as Spirits. I would have figured there would be Will in Spirits.
Idk about you guys, but I think it's really strange they picked Olaf and Eagle as the Spirits over Sami. Not that I don't like Olaf and Eagle, and Sami isn't even one of my favorite characters from the series, but she's in general pretty popular among Advance Wars fans. Kinda weird she didn't get one.

On a completely unrelated note, I got to play a bit of AW1 over the weekend; missed S Rank on Egg Islands by 3 points lol.
Sami, Max, and Nell not appearing is puzzling to me but hey at least they didn't leave my boy hanging so they did that much right.

I forgot which War Room mission is that? Because I went through the War Room for several different versions of the games and they have different CO's

Suffice to say tho, a lot of them are hard to S-Rank unless you're using a top-tier CO. I mean I could prob do that but it takes a lot of planning ahead and exploiting the AI.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
I forgot which War Room mission is that? Because I went through the War Room for several different versions of the games and they have different CO's

Suffice to say tho, a lot of them are hard to S-Rank unless you're using a top-tier CO. I mean I could prob do that but it takes a lot of planning ahead and exploiting the AI.
Egg Islands is the one that's shaped like Australia; I did the version in Advance Wars 1. And I did it with Andy IIRC

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Egg Islands is the one that's shaped like Australia; I did the version in Advance Wars 1. And I did it with Andy IIRC
Oh yeah that one.

I remember playing that map on the AW2 version where you face Kanbei. And my god that mission is horrible given how broken Kanbei is in AW2; accounting for his increased firepower and defense. And by the time there's any kind of skirmish going on, Kanbei will have captured enough properties to overcome his expensive unit weakness meaning he's throwing OP units at you like crazy. Luckily, I was able to use Sami and Mech spam my way to victory lol.

The two War Room maps that make me want to pull out my hair are Last Mission and Risky Valve. Especially the latter which is almost impossible to do with some CO's.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Lol at Andy having "Advanced" in his title.

As for his Spirit Battle, Andy posses Dr. Mario (his red alt) and you face off against mini-Snake's who Dr. Mario (possessed by Andy) can heal when at high percents. Really sucks that they couldn't have Andy be an Assist Trophy at the least.

Also it's odd that there's no Days of Ruin characters as Spirits. I would have figured there would be Will in Spirits.

Sami, Max, and Nell not appearing is puzzling to me but hey at least they didn't leave my boy hanging so they did that much right.

That Spirit fight sounds awesome.

Also, I’d remind to spoiler-mark, but I think all four of us already read this.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Recently I saw the player icons, and I'm really surprised that Advance Wars has none, especially when Lip was one of the select uncategorized spirits selected (not assist or fighter). The other 4 are Shantae, Diskun, Devilish Kawashima, Chorus Kids.
Lip isn't nearly as recognizable as them outside of Japan, which is another character coming from a dormant Intelligent Systems IP.
AW has none only because Tanks & Infantry was removed as an assist, this also applies to Saki and Ray MK III.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So IDK if you guys saw this or not but the Spirit for Infantry & Tanks seems to come from one of the earlier Wars games as it looks nothing like the one from the Advance-era of the Wars series.

Maybe it comes from one of the Game Boy Wars games? That's the only thing I can think of. The artstyle is very Megaman-ish which is surprising.
Recently I saw the player icons, and I'm really surprised that Advance Wars has none, especially when Lip was one of the select uncategorized spirits selected (not assist or fighter). The other 4 are Shantae, Diskun, Devilish Kawashima, Chorus Kids.
Lip isn't nearly as recognizable as them outside of Japan, which is another character coming from a dormant Intelligent Systems IP.
AW has none only because Tanks & Infantry was removed as an assist, this also applies to Saki and Ray MK III.
Yeah like I said the lack of much Advance Wars content in this game outside the four spirits is criminal. We as a community need to make our voices heard and I have an idea i'd like to share around mid-late December-ish (when the hype for Ultimate dies down a bit).
That Spirit fight sounds awesome.

Also, I’d remind to spoiler-mark, but I think all four of us already read this.
Yeah well it's not much of a big spoiler TBH lol. Nothing that'll make the player think "damn now I won't be able to enjoy this anymore.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
So IDK if you guys saw this or not but the Spirit for Infantry & Tanks seems to come from one of the earlier Wars games as it looks nothing like the one from the Advance-era of the Wars series.
Do you have the source for this?

I cannot find its origin either; what a mystery

Top Bottom