• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orange Star's Hyperactive Whiz Kid! - Andy For Smash Ultimate! We'll Live To Fight Another Day...

Favorite Advance Wars Game (Not Including pre-AW and Battalion Wars)

• Total voters

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
At the time of Awakening, Sticker Star was doing really big numbers. I don't doubt that IS would be chugging out Paper Mario after Paper Mario until that started to go on the decline. In which case IDK what would happen after. Maybe IS would request to start doing Mario sports spinoffs to keep their company afloat, following the Camelot model.
And then we'd end up with Paper versions of the usual Mario sports games. :4pacman:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah, I think most groups came out ahead with Awakening's success. FE failing would probably be the end for AW as well. Idk what IS would do without FE, so it's probably a good thing that they poured everything into Awakening and it mostly worked.

Awakening is not my favorite FE game, but I enjoyed it. Some pieces of Awakening irked me; I'm not a huge fan of time traveling stories except for particular cases, I thought the Pair Up system was creative but poorly balanced, and the relationship stuff wasn't up my alley. But I ended up spending quite a bit of time with it, and there were enough characters and interesting maps that I liked.
It's a really ****ty thing to think about. That Advance Wars would have been screwed regardless of Fire Emblem failing or succeeding. This is the worst Catch 22 ever.
And then we'd end up with Paper versions of the usual Mario sports games. :4pacman:
That's fine and all but when do we get Paper Andy? :confused:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's a really ****ty thing to think about. That Advance Wars would have been screwed regardless of Fire Emblem failing or succeeding. This is the worst Catch 22 ever.

That's fine and all but when do we get Paper Andy? :confused:
After paper Marth's adventures, obviously.

All jesting aside, this is more of a Morton's Fork situation, if anything.

In any case, those AW successors really ought to help people get into asking for the series again, assuming Wargroove does come out safely, in particular.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
After paper Marth's adventures, obviously.

All jesting aside, this is more of a Morton's Fork situation, if anything.

In any case, those AW successors really ought to help people get into asking for the series again, assuming Wargroove does come out safely, in particular.
Oh yeah of course, gotta wait for that Paper FE game to happen lol. Maybe just maybe we'll get Paper AW afterwards. not

Well that's the hope for all of us and fan interest in the game seems to be really high, even accounting for the numerous delays. Wargroove is poised to be really great and IS could look to that game for inspiration in a new title. Wargroove blends some FE elements alongside classic Wars gameplay and is something IS could do given that they want to implement relationship mechanics to AW.

Last edited:

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Add me to the support list if you could. Advance Wars was second in series I think deserve a rep.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Add me to the support list if you could. Advance Wars was second in series I think deserve a rep.
Welcome aboard Tetrin!

And with that, you become the 100th supporter in this thread. A great milestone indeed!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Is anyone familiar with the indie game"Axiom Verge"? Apparently, it was a Metroid-inspired indie that was made during Metroid's hiatus from 2010-2015/2016.

Which brings me to something I thought about. Do you guys think that the amount of Metroid-styled indies was a big factor in the return of that franchise? IIRC, there were a lot of Metroid-styled games in the lieu of any official releases the same way there's been plenty of Advance Wars-like games since around post-2016.

Maybe that's a sign that the devs might be swayed in to bringing back the franchise? Usually when there's a lot of indie games based on a dormant franchise, it increases the likelihood of that series returning given that the devs see the market for that game.

I mean between the releases of Wargroove, Tiny Metal, Into the Breach, Warbits, and a whole others, they got to know how much people want this series to return. So maybe all these things happening around the same time frame might have had some effect?
Wow, 100 supporters?

That’s way more than I expected. Way to go, guys!
Yeah, only a year ago we were sitting at 60-ish supporters so that's impressive. Hopefully that number will continue to increase and more people discover this franchise.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Is anyone familiar with the indie game"Axiom Verge"? Apparently, it was a Metroid-inspired indie that was made during Metroid's hiatus from 2010-2015/2016.

Which brings me to something I thought about. Do you guys think that the amount of Metroid-styled indies was a big factor in the return of that franchise? IIRC, there were a lot of Metroid-styled games in the lieu of any official releases the same way there's been plenty of Advance Wars-like games since around post-2016.

Maybe that's a sign that the devs might be swayed in to bringing back the franchise? Usually when there's a lot of indie games based on a dormant franchise, it increases the likelihood of that series returning given that the devs see the market for that game.

I mean between the releases of Wargroove, Tiny Metal, Into the Breach, Warbits, and a whole others, they got to know how much people want this series to return. So maybe all these things happening around the same time frame might have had some effect?

Yeah, only a year ago we were sitting at 60-ish supporters so that's impressive. Hopefully that number will continue to increase and more people discover this franchise.
I am a not-so-proud owner of Axiom Verge. Bought it on a whim after Samus Returns left me hungering for more Metroidvania. Regretted it.

While I think that Axiom Verge’s success and AM2R’s development might have impacted Metroid’s return, were there other Metroidvanias around that time that might have made an impact? (Besides I guess Bloodstained being announced, but that was in development for way too long and is definitely more Vania than Metroid).

If ‘in-the-vein-of’ games are related to a franchise’s return, then I’d say we are in a much better place than Metroid was.

F-Zero has FAST RMX and that seems more likely to return, so maybe the less homages the more chance to return?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I am a not-so-proud owner of Axiom Verge. Bought it on a whim after Samus Returns left me hungering for more Metroidvania. Regretted it.

While I think that Axiom Verge’s success and AM2R’s development might have impacted Metroid’s return, were there other Metroidvanias around that time that might have made an impact? (Besides I guess Bloodstained being announced, but that was in development for way too long and is definitely more Vania than Metroid).

If ‘in-the-vein-of’ games are related to a franchise’s return, then I’d say we are in a much better place than Metroid was.

F-Zero has FAST RMX and that seems more likely to return, so maybe the less homages the more chance to return?
F-Zero has FAST RMX and Wipeout so maybe that's not the best example lol.

Lets just hope we're more on the Metroid side of things on this account. :)

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
F-Zero has FAST RMX and Wipeout so maybe that's not the best example lol.

Lets just hope we're more on the Metroid side of things on this account. :)
Wipeout’s been around for a long while though. So long that it too needs a miracle to come back.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I dunno about F-Zero, seeing as even Mario Kart is trying to be it now.

Wipeout’s been around for a long while though. So long that it too needs a miracle to come back.
Thank god for that collection of its most recent entries, though.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Oh crap I didn't even realize that lol. I only remember getting Wipeout through the PSN free giveaway after Sony got hacked in 2011.
I dunno about F-Zero, seeing as even Mario Kart is trying to be it now.
Yeah and I think that's the biggest difference between F-Zero and Advance Wars.

Whereas Mario Kart could easily implement F-Zero mechanics and cannibalize that series, it's impossible for FE to do the same to Wars without compromising it's identity. Wars is fundamentally different enough from FE to stand on it's own despite both being turn-based series.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Bumping this thread as I didn't even realize it's the 11th anniversary of Advance Wars: Days of Ruin today.

EDIT: Pic is dead so i'm linking the image

I always had mixed feelings on this game. I mean the game is great gameplay-wise and in terms of storytelling/narrative, it was the right direction for the series to go. The tone shift is what really made it feel like it was from a different series and it lost a lot of the classic "Advance Wars charm" that we all came to know and love.

I think a future Advance Wars can expand on the storytelling elements Days of Ruin introduced while giving us a more classic AW experience. Even if it is a bit darker than the Wars World games. Just not something like DoR IMO. Well that and all the previous CO's should return outside the main game's story like what FE Awakening did with the previous lords.

Last edited:

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Bumping this thread as I didn't even realize it's the 11th anniversary of Advance Wars: Days of Ruin today.

EDIT: Pic is dead so i'm linking the image

I always had mixed feelings on this game. I mean the game is great gameplay-wise and in terms of storytelling/narrative, it was the right direction for the series to go. The tone shift is what really made it feel like it was from a different series and it lost a lot of the classic "Advance Wars charm" that we all came to know and love.

I think a future Advance Wars can expand on the storytelling elements Days of Ruin introduced while giving us a more classic AW experience. Even if it is a bit darker than the Wars World games. Just not something like DoR IMO. Well that and all the previous CO's should return outside the main game's story like what FE Awakening did with the previous lords.
I've always liked this game. I just wish it had more content, both playable CO-wise (why is The Beast not playable despite having his own theme?) and game mode-wise. Design Maps was a huge step-up from the one in the Wars World versions, but no Hard Campaign sucks. Trial Maps just weren't it either, as some were either incredibly short or old multiplayer maps from the earlier games (one of the, if not the, worst multiplayer maps, Tatter River, is a Trial Map). You also can't choose your own CO in Trial Maps if you want a rank too.

Gameplay-wise the COs are too different from the Wars World COs that I think combining them in the same game, even if it's just in a mode, wouldn't really work. Although I guess they could always change/retcon the abilities from one generation of COs to make their abilities match the other generation.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I've always liked this game. I just wish it had more content, both playable CO-wise (why is The Beast not playable despite having his own theme?) and game mode-wise. Design Maps was a huge step-up from the one in the Wars World versions, but no Hard Campaign sucks. Trial Maps just weren't it either, as some were either incredibly short or old multiplayer maps from the earlier games (one of the, if not the, worst multiplayer maps, Tatter River, is a Trial Map). You also can't choose your own CO in Trial Maps if you want a rank too.

Gameplay-wise the COs are too different from the Wars World COs that I think combining them in the same game, even if it's just in a mode, wouldn't really work. Although I guess they could always change/retcon the abilities from one generation of COs to make their abilities match the other generation.
If they were to combine the CO's in one game, I think it would be in a new one however that would look. Like a deal where they bring back most of the old CO's in one game in addition to new ones from a new game (and by proxy, the new gameplay mechanics). So maybe classic CO's have their CO Abilities/Powers buffed/nerfed to accommodate whatever new system is in place as you mentioned.

And as for DoR, I believe it introduced a lot of features that could have been expanded on a lot more because they weren't perfectly implemented. But as I said, the storytelling elements introduced was the way to go for the series. It's a huge shame we never got to see those ideas expanded on especially with the potential of cutscenes on the 3DS like FEA. Although I would argue the Wars series is a huge creative gold mine that's yet to be fully tapped in to.
Not much relevance, but the Masaya strategy RPG Vixen 357 has been targeted next by Super Fighter Team.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...rive_classic_thats_hitting_the_west_this_year
That's just a re-release though right? And from the looks of it it's being re-released on a system that's been long outdated with no plans of being released on the Switch. I doubt it means anything for Advance Wars.
Why does this thread is named like that ?
Uhh well it's a meme that usually ends with "(insert name here) B O Y Z". Sorry if that's weird to some lol.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
And as for DoR, I believe it introduced a lot of features that could have been expanded on a lot more because they weren't perfectly implemented. But as I said, the storytelling elements introduced was the way to go for the series. It's a huge shame we never got to see those ideas expanded on especially with the potential of cutscenes on the 3DS like FEA. Although I would argue the Wars series is a huge creative gold mine that's yet to be fully tapped in to.

That's just a re-release though right? And from the looks of it it's being re-released on a system that's been long outdated with no plans of being released on the Switch. I doubt it means anything for Advance Wars.
Yeah, but it's more proof that there's still an audience for military strategy RPGs.

As for Days of Ruin, the whole cast and tonal change must be what contributed to the audience not caring as much for that game at the time, more than anything.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah, but it's more proof that there's still an audience for military strategy RPGs.

As for Days of Ruin, the whole cast and tonal change must be what contributed to the audience not caring as much for that game at the time, more than anything.
I mean yeah for sure but it's being released on a system from the 90's. So hardly anyone is going to be able to play it lol.

If they want to have their game featured to a large audience, they need to have it on the Switch EShop and other places.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean yeah for sure but it's being released on a system from the 90's. So hardly anyone is going to be able to play it lol.

If they want to have their game featured to a large audience, they need to have it on the Switch EShop and other places.
Tell that to them. They released three other old games before this, so clearly it's working for them. Never underestimate the aftermarket for any console.

Much less of a risk than making a brand-new game for said old systems, especially since Watermelon is suffering from Paprium's development seemingly falling apart at the seams...

So anyway, if AW has to be brought back, the cheery atmosphere from pre-DoR games is a must to bring players on board again.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Tell that to them. They released three other old games before this, so clearly it's working for them. Never underestimate the aftermarket for any console.

Much less of a risk than making a brand-new game for said old systems, especially since Watermelon is suffering from Paprium's development seemingly falling apart at the seams...

So anyway, if AW has to be brought back, the cheery atmosphere from pre-DoR games is a must to bring players on board again.
Fair enough I guess. Just wish the game was available on a system most people own lol.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Hello AW fans. Long time, so see. It's been a while. I am here to inform you on a new movement that could help benefit you and other deconfirmed characters a lot. It's called #UpgradeAssists and it's been getting bigger as of late. The idea is that we would bring up arguments as to why that character should be playable or just talking about them with the hashtags #UpgradeAssist and #AssistAlliance. Even if you don't have a Twitter, you can join the server listed below to learn aways of how to push your character. And this is about the idea of support any AW character for Smash, not the tanks. So we need more hardcore fans like you.

It's a server and Twitter community all about supporting the idea of AT's and deconfirmed characters being promoted to playable or just still talking about them for the future to come. I advise all of you to join this server and help fight for their cause. It could benefit us for future Smashes if we do everything they say. See you all there.

https://discord.gg/pHF5jgf
That's great and all but unfortunately Advance Wars couldn't even be afforded an Assist Trophy for this iteration of Smash lol.

Unless this extends to all AT's from past Smash games?

SPEN18

Smash Lord
The weird thing about an Advance Wars game with all-new COs is that the current COs cover a lot of the key aspects of the game; for example, any Advance Wars game would probably want at least one CO to be a generalist like Andy, and you'd probably want some specializing in direct/indirect combat and air/naval/vehicles. So a lot of the new COs would kind of feel like next-gen clones of the old ones. Unless they made it like FE where there are certain archetypes of COs, idk.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The weird thing about an Advance Wars game with all-new COs is that the current COs cover a lot of the key aspects of the game; for example, any Advance Wars game would probably want at least one CO to be a generalist like Andy, and you'd probably want some specializing in direct/indirect combat and air/naval/vehicles. So a lot of the new COs would kind of feel like next-gen clones of the old ones. Unless they made it like FE where there are certain archetypes of COs, idk.
I can think of a few archetypes that haven't been done yet. Like a CO who has increased defense but reduced firepower, a movement specialist (not just for foot soldiers/transport units like Sami), and one that I thought of and really like; a CO that can reduce or outright nullify opposing CO Power Meter's and can charge CO Powers of his allies. I also think that a "poison-like" CO Power would be really cool. Like a CO who casts a sort of "poison" effect that takes 1 or 2HP off all the opponents's units until they're destroyed or something like that.

Although I do expect some new CO's to have modified versions of previous CO abilities. As you mentioned, there could be another generalist like Andy but instead said CO increases firepower/defense rather than healing units.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
I can think of a few archetypes that haven't been done yet. Like a CO who has increased defense but reduced firepower, a movement specialist (not just for foot soldiers/transport units like Sami), and one that I thought of and really like; a CO that can reduce or outright nullify opposing CO Power Meter's and can charge CO Powers of his allies. I also think that a "poison-like" CO Power would be really cool. Like a CO who casts a sort of "poison" effect that takes 1 or 2HP off all the opponents's units until they're destroyed or something like that.

Although I do expect some new CO's to have modified versions of previous CO abilities. As you mentioned, there could be another generalist like Andy but instead said CO increases firepower/defense rather than healing units.
Some of those are actually really good ideas. "Poison" would probably be a nightmare to balance, but could be cool if they could do it right.

So I guess it's possible to have a new set of COs without too much overlap, but there probably will have to be a few new COs that are kind of like slight variants of some of the old ones. Things like air vs. naval and direct vs. indirect are important mechanics to fully explain to the player and having specialist COs in these areas is a really good way to reinforce their importance to the player.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Some of those are actually really good ideas. "Poison" would probably be a nightmare to balance, but could be cool if they could do it right.

So I guess it's possible to have a new set of COs without too much overlap, but there probably will have to be a few new COs that are kind of like slight variants of some of the old ones. Stuff like air vs. naval and direct vs. indirect are important mechanics to fully explain to the player and having specialist COs in these areas is a really good way to reinforce their importance to the player.
You know, that's actually a really good find. I never thought of it that way but specialist CO's really help introduce the players to the different kinds of units in game and the situations they can find themselves during gameplay. Of course their primary purpose is to have a variety of characters who bring something different gameplay wise (as well as different strategies) but that's also a key aspect for CO's to have.

Poison would be a nightmare especially on pre-deployed maps (that's basically the easy way to win lol) but if they balanced it right then maybe it could work. Like a normal CO Power that only lasts temporarily and a Super that's unremovable (barring special circumstances) but takes a very long time to charge up.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
That's great and all but unfortunately Advance Wars couldn't even be afforded an Assist Trophy for this iteration of Smash lol.

Unless this extends to all AT's from past Smash games?
Yes. All of them, past ones too. And characters who are spirits

So if you want to support your man Andy, better grab your other AW fans and show your support.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yes. All of them, past ones too. And characters who are spirits

So if you want to support your man Andy, better grab your other AW fans and show your support.
Sweet! I'll def join later. Sounds like a good cause for characters who missed their chance big time for Ultimate. Looking at Isaac and Shadow.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Sweet! I'll def join later. Sounds like a good cause for characters who missed their chance big time for Ultimate. Looking at Isaac and Shadow.
Sounds good, it really is a good cause since it will benefit all of us.

And we got a few AW fans there waiting to chat with more who likes the games. See you there.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
For anyone interested, Wargroove just got a February 1st release date. That's pretty cool. :)
I'm really excited to play the game come Feb 1st. And that animated trailer was really good.

Hopefully the game does really well as I said before. This game doing well could be the wake-up call Nintendo/Intelligent Systems needs to finally return to the series.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm really excited to play the game come Feb 1st. And that animated trailer was really good.

Hopefully the game does really well as I said before. This game doing well could be the wake-up call Nintendo/Intelligent Systems needs to finally return to the series.
Not only that, but mend the reputation of Kickstarter, as some projects got delayed or turned out to be half-baked.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Not only that, but mend the reputation of Kickstarter, as some projects got delayed or turned out to be half-baked.
Wargroove wasn't Kickstarter backed tho? Unless you're referring to Tiny Metal? Because that was a controversy of it's own a year and a half ago.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Hey Advance Wars/Andy fans! Don't know why I didn't think of sharing this here before, but here's a stage I created for Andy if he ended up being playable:
https://smashboards.com/threads/sup...-anything-goes-2.452851/page-43#post-22819644

So I made this stage awhile back for the final round of the psb123's Stage Creation Contest, and it was kind of my interpretation of how an Advance Wars stage might translate if it were added to Smash. I'd be interested in hearing what you guys think!

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Hey Advance Wars/Andy fans! Don't know why I didn't think of sharing this here before, but here's a stage I created for Andy if he ended up being playable:
https://smashboards.com/threads/sup...-anything-goes-2.452851/page-43#post-22819644

So I made this stage awhile back for the final round of the psb123's Stage Creation Contest, and it was kind of my interpretation of how an Advance Wars stage might translate if it were added to Smash. I'd be interested in hearing what you guys think!
Yeah I saw from back in December. It was really well done and also very innovative. My idea for an Advance Wars stage is a bit similar though I envisioned it to be a lot more chaotic with action going on everywhere in the background. And much like yours it would go through 3 transitions between the city, sea, and the air.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
I don't buy many indie games at all. Not that I have anything against them; I just don't have the time for most of them.

But Wargroove looks pretty good. Could be a good way to bridge the gap to Fire Emblem in the Spring.

Top Bottom