• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orange Star's Hyperactive Whiz Kid! - Andy For Smash Ultimate! We'll Live To Fight Another Day...

Favorite Advance Wars Game (Not Including pre-AW and Battalion Wars)

• Total voters

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I've had a few stage ideas of my own.

1: Headquarters
I know, it'd probably feel like a New Donk City re-tread. But what if the stage was set at an Orange Star headquarters? It's a weird idea, and perhaps even gives rise to possible CO cameos from the windows (like Green Hill).

2: Black Factory
This stage takes place near a Black Factory with Piperunners patrolling the perimeter. The piperunners occasionally fire upon the fighters. Also, units will be produced from the factory at regular intervals.

3: Great Owl
I know this veers into Days of Ruin territory, which fits Andy by 0%. But hear me out- if an entire mission can take place on board one wing of the Great Owl, so can a game of Smash. Of course, the problems come when the fans declare it to just be a second Corneria...
All these stages are great ideas. I had a City-like stage in mind myself but alas, New Donk City is very similar to what I envisioned in my head. Maybe if it was more chaotic and action-packed it could standout more along with a more "Advance Wars-like" setting with an all out war in the background.

Black Factory is a great idea. Having Black Hole units continuously spawn as a stage hazard is really unique and different from other stages. I would go one step further and add the Death Ray from AW2's last mission. I guess it would kinda be similar to the Halberd stage but a lot more powerful, essentially a OHKO regardless of damage percent.

I'm not too familiar with the Great Owl so forgive me on that. I do think any stage would be in a Wars World setting unless it wasn't Andy or Sami playable . In that case, it would be a stage from whatever new Advance Wars game comes out in the future with that game's main protag as a playable character.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don't know how I never thought of Black Factory, that idea's genius. It would really stand out and sell what AW is all about.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So just a little update for you guys in regards to the Andy commission. NinNakijima has officially given me confirmation of the payment being processed and Andy's commission is going to be on the waiting list.

...unfortunately said list is also crazy big so it could be months until we see Andy drawn in his incredible artstyle. So please stay tuned!
I don't know how I never thought of Black Factory, that idea's genius. It would really stand out and sell what AW is all about.
Def. I would also like for a bunch of CO's to cameo on the stage. Or even better, have them use their CO Powers to aid players like Olaf freezing the stage and Eagle calling in for an air strike.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
https://twitter.com/NoponDigi/status/1178077012449206272
I think you can relate to the ARMS fans now. The IP's been treated like a flavor of the month. It doesn't help that the Dark Horse comic still hasn't come out (might as well be a myth at this point).
Wtf?? How is this happening? It's gotta be some kind of mistake, I really can't see them dropping Arms like that in favor of flipping 1-2 Switch.
IIRC, BoTW also had it's site removed and links to 1-2 Switch as well. It could just be old websites being removed than anything else. ARMS did 2Mil copies IIRC so it's good IMO.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
IIRC, BoTW also had it's site removed and links to 1-2 Switch as well. It could just be old websites being removed than anything else. ARMS did 2Mil copies IIRC so it's good IMO.
Yeah, though the active community for it pretty much died after the DLC was wrapped up, since Splatoon 2 took the spotlight afterwards. I just wish I knew what's happening with the Dark Horse comic...

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Sorry if I am interrupting anything, but the AssistAlliance is streaming Advance Wars now, which one of you want to be on the voice chat?

Sadly I can’t since strep throat prevents me from talking right. Fluffy been asking for some help.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah, though the active community for it pretty much died after the DLC was wrapped up, since Splatoon 2 took the spotlight afterwards. I just wish I knew what's happening with the Dark Horse comic...
True but even still, anything compared to Splatoon is doomed to die a death lol. It's not really surprising and even then, ARMS did fairly well for itself. Not like ARMS and Splatoon even have similar niches. I expect a sequel in a year or two even.
Sorry if I am interrupting anything, but the AssistAlliance is streaming Advance Wars now, which one of you want to be on the voice chat?

Sadly I can’t since strep throat prevents me from talking right. Fluffy been asking for some help.
Sorry I couldn't join dude. I've been pretty busy and all.

That being said, i'm open to answering any Advance Wars questions anyone has here so please ask away! :)

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Wow, this is a big thread! Great to see. Well, as you can probably guess from my avatar, I'd love to have an AW rep in Smash! I ran a Sami support thread back in SSB4, but I'd be just as ecstatic to see Andy (and, of course, he's the likelier inclusion). Sadly, an AW rep through DLC feels like a pipe dream, but you never know. Wars has to be by far the most neglected first-party franchise when it comes to Smash at this point. Makes me sad. I'm hopeful that Wargroove at least managed to demonstrate to Nintendo that interest in Advance Wars is still alive and well.

As far as stage ideas, I really like the pipeline battle/Black Hole Factory as a stage idea. It's easily one of the most iconic parts of the actual games, as well as offering a ton of cool visual potential. I'll repost my old stage idea from SSB4 for the heck of it.

The platform floats above a scene of pandemonium. Jutting upward in the background is an imposing black fortress, bristling with minicannons, death rays, and lasers. Groups of Black Hole and Allied Nation units run, drive, and fly around exchanging fire in the background.

At regular intervals, much like the Arwing strafing runs on Corneria, a CO power will be selected and affect the stage as the battle against Black Hole bleeds over into the players' fight. The background of the stage will briefly transform into the traditional Advance Wars flame-backed power name screen when a hazard activates. These COs and powers may be as follows:

Rachel - Covering Fire: Three silo missiles are targeted at points on the stage and fire, exploding for damage and knockback.

Olaf - Blizzard: Thick snow falls on the stage, reducing players' running speeds significantly.

Sensei - Airborne Assault: T-Copters drop off an infantry squad, which runs around shooting the players. If items are on, the T-Copters will drop "supplies".

Eagle - Lightning Strike: A squadron of bombers carpet-bombs a segment of the stage.

Sturm - Meteor Strike: A large meteor impacts a point on the stage for massive damage and knockback in a sizable AoE. Players will be warned of the impact point before impact occurs. [/collapse]

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Wow, this is a big thread! Great to see. Well, as you can probably guess from my avatar, I'd love to have an AW rep in Smash! I ran a Sami support thread back in SSB4, but I'd be just as ecstatic to see Andy (and, of course, he's the likelier inclusion). Sadly, an AW rep through DLC feels like a pipe dream, but you never know. Wars has to be by far the most neglected first-party franchise when it comes to Smash at this point. Makes me sad. I'm hopeful that Wargroove at least managed to demonstrate to Nintendo that interest in Advance Wars is still alive and well.

As far as stage ideas, I really like the pipeline battle/Black Hole Factory as a stage idea. It's easily one of the most iconic parts of the actual games, as well as offering a ton of cool visual potential. I'll repost my old stage idea from SSB4 for the heck of it.

The platform floats above a scene of pandemonium. Jutting upward in the background is an imposing black fortress, bristling with minicannons, death rays, and lasers. Groups of Black Hole and Allied Nation units run, drive, and fly around exchanging fire in the background.

At regular intervals, much like the Arwing strafing runs on Corneria, a CO power will be selected and affect the stage as the battle against Black Hole bleeds over into the players' fight. The background of the stage will briefly transform into the traditional Advance Wars flame-backed power name screen when a hazard activates. These COs and powers may be as follows:

Rachel - Covering Fire: Three silo missiles are targeted at points on the stage and fire, exploding for damage and knockback.

Olaf - Blizzard: Thick snow falls on the stage, reducing players' running speeds significantly.

Sensei - Airborne Assault: T-Copters drop off an infantry squad, which runs around shooting the players. If items are on, the T-Copters will drop "supplies".

Eagle - Lightning Strike: A squadron of bombers carpet-bombs a segment of the stage.

Sturm - Meteor Strike: A large meteor impacts a point on the stage for massive damage and knockback in a sizable AoE. Players will be warned of the impact point before impact occurs. [/collapse]
Welcome to the thread man! I think I saw your post from way back in the Smash 4 days so it's a long time coming. And yeah, this thread has far surpassed all the previous Andy threads that only lasted like 9 pages in Smash 4 and like 2 for Brawl. :(

An Advance Wars character does seem like a pipe dream and i'm not very optimistic about our chances but never say never I suppose. We have to sort of hope that Wargroove's success will somehow translate to a new game after 3H or at least IntSys will consider doing a new AW after whatever FE4/5 remake drops off in sales relative to 3H. If we somehow got that to happen, we could feasibly get Andy as DLC provided Smash Ultimate DLC runs that long. Even without Andy being featured in whatever new AW game comes out.

Also, I love your stage concept. It's kinda similar to a lot of one's we brainstormed but the CO Powers are much more fleshed out I must say. My idea was more or less a composite stage of all the locations you would expect to see on an Advance Wars map like a transitioning stage between the city, the sea, and the sky.
Good news, Wargroove will let you play as an additional character via DLC.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...s_free_dlc_commander_coming_soon_to_wargroove
Free DLC sounds good to me! Can't wait for this to release and it's great to see WarGroove supported months after it's release. Must have done pretty well to get this free content.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Glad you liked the stage idea! And it's definitely great to see Wargroove getting more support. The better it does, the better the case for Nintendo to throw Intelligent Systems at a new AW game.

aztimh

Smash Rookie
Hm I never really thought about an advance wars stage until now. To best represent the games I think rather than just a single location, the stage could be part of a greater battlefield with different terrain running through the actual 2D platforming section you are in. Like river, mountain, city, trees, etc.

It would be the only stage where the terrain affects your defence as it does in the games. Also I would see it being like a Star Fox type stage where you get cameos from units like artillery, B copters, etc. perhaps even if you controlled the city part of the stage it would become captured and you heal while standing there.

They could even cameo other COs as stage hazards when they use their CO powers (as was suggested above :) )

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Glad you liked the stage idea! And it's definitely great to see Wargroove getting more support. The better it does, the better the case for Nintendo to throw Intelligent Systems at a new AW game.
It was definitely fleshed out and really well thought out. On par with the one Good Guy Giygas Good Guy Giygas did last December.

Wargroove's success will definitely help for sure. Ultimately, it comes down to the decision of Nintendo and IntSys for what happens. They might opt to go the route of an FE4/5 remake next given how successful 3H was (also having the same engine to use) but as I mentioned before, a game like that is almost certain to drop off quite a bit sales-wise relative to 3H so maybe that might be the incentive for IntSys to return to Advance Wars.

Even better would be for IntSys to do Advance Wars next after 3H if they wanted to give FE a little break between mainline releases. Obviously, it's not like they're going to stop FE to do AW given how successful the former is but there is merit to giving releases breathing room. Like, given these titles are 59.99 (79.99 in Canada) it doesn't make sense to keep pumping out mainline entries like that especially closer to releases.

Of course, AW didn't see that kind of luck in the 3DS-era, but this was at a time IntSys hit gold with FE and wanted to do everything to make it the success it is right now. Couple that in with Advance Wars being unproven before Wargroove and it kinda adds up to why we missed out on a 3DS entry. The Switch-era is a whole new ballgame and a new opportunity for those franchises that missed out on the Wii U/3DS era (here's looking at you Golden Sun & F-Zero).
Hm I never really thought about an advance wars stage until now. To best represent the games I think rather than just a single location, the stage could be part of a greater battlefield with different terrain running through the actual 2D platforming section you are in. Like river, mountain, city, trees, etc.

It would be the only stage where the terrain affects your defence as it does in the games. Also I would see it being like a Star Fox type stage where you get cameos from units like artillery, B copters, etc. perhaps even if you controlled the city part of the stage it would become captured and you heal while standing there.

They could even cameo other COs as stage hazards when they use their CO powers (as was suggested above :) )
Def. A stage that covers all kinds of AW terrains would be ideal. I also love the capturing aspect of the concept. So many great ideas being brought to this thread!

How about this for an idea guys? What if on whatever AW stage, you could have an army fight on your behalf? Think of Find Mii, the 3DS Mother stage, and Wily's Castle among other stages that give you a CPU ally upon a certain condition. So capturing a building in this case will grant you your own army and what have you. The more properties you capture, the more units will come to fight for you and potentially overflood the stage. I think it would make for really fun 4-player battles don't you think?

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It was definitely fleshed out and really well thought out. On par with the one Good Guy Giygas Good Guy Giygas did last December.

Wargroove's success will definitely help for sure. Ultimately, it comes down to the decision of Nintendo and IntSys for what happens. They might opt to go the route of an FE4/5 remake next given how successful 3H was (also having the same engine to use) but as I mentioned before, a game like that is almost certain to drop off quite a bit sales-wise relative to 3H so maybe that might be the incentive for IntSys to return to Advance Wars.

Even better would be for IntSys to do Advance Wars next after 3H if they wanted to give FE a little break between mainline releases. Obviously, it's not like they're going to stop FE to do AW given how successful the former is but there is merit to giving releases breathing room. Like, given these titles are 59.99 (79.99 in Canada) it doesn't make sense to keep pumping out mainline entries like that especially closer to releases.

Of course, AW didn't see that kind of luck in the 3DS-era, but this was at a time IntSys hit gold with FE and wanted to do everything to make it the success it is right now. Couple that in with Advance Wars being unproven before Wargroove and it kinda adds up to why we missed out on a 3DS entry. The Switch-era is a whole new ballgame and a new opportunity for those franchises that missed out on the Wii U/3DS era (here's looking at you Golden Sun & F-Zero).

Def. A stage that covers all kinds of AW terrains would be ideal. I also love the capturing aspect of the concept. So many great ideas being brought to this thread!

How about this for an idea guys? What if on whatever AW stage, you could have an army fight on your behalf? Think of Find Mii, the 3DS Mother stage, and Wily's Castle among other stages that give you a CPU ally upon a certain condition. So capturing a building in this case will grant you your own army and what have you. The more properties you capture, the more units will come to fight for you and potentially overflood the stage. I think it would make for really fun 4-player battles don't you think?
The idea of getting armies to fight for you is interesting, though how would it play out? Would it functionally be like getting the Infantry & Tanks AT, but color-coded? Anything more than that seems like it could get crowded.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The idea of getting armies to fight for you is interesting, though how would it play out? Would it functionally be like getting the Infantry & Tanks AT, but color-coded? Anything more than that seems like it could get crowded.
I mean, they could go the route of using those pixelated units from the AT but as I mentioned when I talked about Andy's moveset, I would want the GBA sprites from the battle animations to be used VS the ones used on the overworld like the old AT.

Essentially, you would capture a property (be it a City, Base, etc.) and you get a set number of units to fight for you. If they want, they could make it exactly like AW where capturing a base gets you land units, a port sea units, and an airport air units. Might be a bit too much to program for a stage but at least having some units available for the player upon capturing a property.

It will get crowded after a certain point of time but hence the reason why I think it makes for very fun 4-player battles. The kind of stage you go to when you're playing with a bunch of people over. Thankfully, Ultimate introduced the hazard toggle feature so if it's too much for players they could always do that.

Alternatively, they could cap the number of units you have but like, I want to go crazy with this stage concept and really make it as chaotic as possible lol. I'd be fine either way.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Thread's been collecting dust so I thought I would bump it.

Anyone here think we get Fighter 5 revealed with Terry? I think that happens or maybe we get two reveals in December, one for Fighter 5 and the other for the first post-pass character.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Anyone here think we get Fighter 5 revealed with Terry? I think that happens or maybe we get two reveals in December, one for Fighter 5 and the other for the first post-pass character.
I mean we could but the alternative is what happened in 2015 with the Direct announced for December. Maybe we get that and November is straight up Terry's showcase, IDK.

Although i'm kinda thinking TVGA is unlikely for any reveal this year.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I feel like we'll probably get the next trailer with Terry as well. Now that we know there's more DLC, it makes sense to keep the hype train rolling, right? No reason to wait too long. I also agree that they're probably not likely to do another reveal at TVGA, since they wouldn't be able to get the same surprise factor this time.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

I may be in the minority on this, but I think we'll get SOMETHING at the Game Awards again this year. I mentioned this on the Elma thread, but I think either A) we get Terry and get the announcement of Fighter 5 at the Game Awards, or B) we get Terry and the announcement of Fighter 5, and then we get the first post-Fighter Pass character at the Game Awards (note that B isn't as likely as A). That being said, I'm mostly basing this on the fact that Joker was announced last year, and was the biggest reveal of the event. I can't really say how they could top it, either.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Well, this certainly put me in a good mood.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Wait, has Baton Kaitos been established as a Nintendo IP? I thought the situation with that was needlessly complicated.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

That also put me in a pretty good mood as well. Granted the Mother series is pretty much finished as opposed to "dead" so virtually Advance Wars is in the Top 3. Which adds up. When the conversation becomes "which dormant series do you want to see return?", the 3 series people always name drop are F-Zero, Golden Sun, & Advance Wars.

Of course with that being said, we can't get too carried away. This is a poll of maybe ~2K so it's not indicative of a larger audience but even so, it's encouraging to see Advance Wars poll this well in any kind of poll. Between this poll and the Reddit poll conducted last year, the Advance Wars love is very apparent.

Maybe that's a somewhat good sign for Andy's Smash prospects? :)
I may be in the minority on this, but I think we'll get SOMETHING at the Game Awards again this year. I mentioned this on the Elma thread, but I think either A) we get Terry and get the announcement of Fighter 5 at the Game Awards, or B) we get Terry and the announcement of Fighter 5, and then we get the first post-Fighter Pass character at the Game Awards (note that B isn't as likely as A). That being said, I'm mostly basing this on the fact that Joker was announced last year, and was the biggest reveal of the event. I can't really say how they could top it, either.
I'm thinking Terry drops Tuesday or Wednesday with the announcement of a December Smash Direct like 2015. In it, I think CP5 is dropped the same day and the first post-pass character is revealed.

Speaking of CP5, who do you guys think might be the past character on the Pass? I've heard a bunch of names rumored from Kos-Mos to Arle Naja to Lloyd to Phoenix Wright. It seems the rumor mill spits something out every other day.

My money is on a Resident Evil character personally. Kinda adds up if Sakurai thought the FP would be the extent of Ultimate's DLC he would go for one of the largest franchises you could possibly try and get. We'll see soon enough though. I'd be fine with most of the rumored characters anyway.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
That also put me in a pretty good mood as well. Granted the Mother series is pretty much finished as opposed to "dead" so virtually Advance Wars is in the Top 3. Which adds up. When the conversation becomes "which dormant series do you want to see return?", the 3 series people always name drop are F-Zero, Golden Sun, & Advance Wars.

Of course with that being said, we can't get too carried away. This is a poll of maybe ~2K so it's not indicative of a larger audience but even so, it's encouraging to see Advance Wars poll this well in any kind of poll. Between this poll and the Reddit poll conducted last year, the Advance Wars love is very apparent.

Maybe that's a somewhat good sign for Andy's Smash prospects? :)

I'm thinking Terry drops Tuesday or Wednesday with the announcement of a December Smash Direct like 2015. In it, I think CP5 is dropped the same day and the first post-pass character is revealed.

Speaking of CP5, who do you guys think might be the past character on the Pass? I've heard a bunch of names rumored from Kos-Mos to Arle Naja to Lloyd to Phoenix Wright. It seems the rumor mill spits something out every other day.

My money is on a Resident Evil character personally. Kinda adds up if Sakurai thought the FP would be the extent of Ultimate's DLC he would go for one of the largest franchises you could possibly try and get. We'll see soon enough though. I'd be fine with most of the rumored characters anyway.
My money's on a Capcom character. I'm hoping for Phoenix, but I think there's a chance it could be Leon or maybe Jill instead.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
My money's on a Capcom character. I'm hoping for Phoenix, but I think there's a chance it could be Leon or maybe Jill instead.
I don't think it's an either or situation but I feel RE is more likely to close the pass for what I said before. Maybe they could do a deal where Leon, Jill, and Chris are alts of each other like Hero?

That being said, Wright is my preferred Capcom choice but both would be great IMO.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don't think it's an either or situation but I feel RE is more likely to close the pass for what I said before. Maybe they could do a deal where Leon, Jill, and Chris are alts of each other like Hero?

That being said, Wright is my preferred Capcom choice but both would be great IMO.
I really doubt they'd do a Hero thing. For one they all have very different builds and personalities, and it would be a disservice to such iconic characters to reduce them to a generic person with guns and one-size-fits-all animations. The second reason is that nobody likes Chris and I don't think they'd do that for just two characters.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I really doubt they'd do a Hero thing. For one they all have very different builds and personalities, and it would be a disservice to such iconic characters to reduce them to a generic person with guns and one-size-fits-all animations. The second reason is that nobody likes Chris and I don't think they'd do that for just two characters.
Yeah for sure. Maybe they could do an Echo Fighter deal with Leon & Jill then? Should work theoretically speaking given Marth/Lucina. I think most people would like that given the demand for a female fighter.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yeah for sure. Maybe they could do an Echo Fighter deal with Leon & Jill then? Should work theoretically speaking given Marth/Lucina. I think most people would like that given the demand for a female fighter.
I'd be very happy with that. Those two guys really deserve to be in.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Y'all see the supposed "leak" today?

****'s crazy! I would be pretty hyped for those 2 characters for real.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Y'all see the supposed "leak" today?

****'s crazy! I would be pretty hyped for those 2 characters for real.
Hard to say. I honestly don't have an attachment to either of them, but then again, I don't have much of an attachment to Andy either, yet I'd be okay with him getting in. I'm sure they can win me over somehow.

By the way, they just confirmed a Terry presentation for the 6th, and it's gonna be 45 minutes long, longer than the previous presentations. However, it was ALSO confirmed that there won't be any news on the next fighter, so... why's it so long? That can't JUST be Terry and the obligoratory Mii Costumes, right? Plus, Sakurai already confirmed Home-Run Contest would be the last new mode. Something is going on, but I can't tell what.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
If they reveal a metric ton of Mii costumes, it would go a long way towards explaining the length. Even a newcomer reveal (or multiple!), which isn't happening now that they've deconfirmed the possibility, would still only fill a couple of minutes.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Hard to say. I honestly don't have an attachment to either of them, but then again, I don't have much of an attachment to Andy either, yet I'd be okay with him getting in. I'm sure they can win me over somehow.

By the way, they just confirmed a Terry presentation for the 6th, and it's gonna be 45 minutes long, longer than the previous presentations. However, it was ALSO confirmed that there won't be any news on the next fighter, so... why's it so long? That can't JUST be Terry and the obligoratory Mii Costumes, right? Plus, Sakurai already confirmed Home-Run Contest would be the last new mode. Something is going on, but I can't tell what.
45 Minutes for the livestream is very confusing for me as well. Granted, I won't underestimate Sakurai's love for the SNK brand and I bet he'll spend like 10 minutes talking about SNK games and another 5-10 on their characters.

That being said, I do honestly believe we're going to hear something about future DLC tomorrow. Obviously not a character reveal but I think there's a good chance for a Smash Direct in December (assuming the leak is real) or at least plans for how Sakurai is going to handle DLC after the Fighter's Pass.

Regardless of what happens, I want to do a write-up sometime soon about Andy and any kind of additional representation for Advance Wars. Especially in light of rumors from the past month.
If they reveal a metric ton of Mii costumes, it would go a long way towards explaining the length. Even a newcomer reveal (or multiple!), which isn't happening now that they've deconfirmed the possibility, would still only fill a couple of minutes.
Am I wrong for thinking that the only reason Banjo had unrelated Mii Costumes was due to being owned by a rival company? I'm thinking this goes more the way of what we had before with Joker and Hero. Lots of SNK Mii Costumes and maybe Heihachi/Akira/Jackie's Mii Costumes return to fit the fighting-game theme.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if they deadass dropped a Scorpion Mii Costume tomorrow and Terry is once again made an afterthought. :)

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Thread's been dead for a bit so I wanted to share something I posted in the Isaac thread.

https://www.thenintendovillage.com/articles/2019/11/11/nintendo-actively-exploring-more-remakes

Obviously, this pertains more to remakes but it was interesting to note how Furwakawa stated that Nintendo is looking at past titles as a whole and also interested in new titles to bring to the Switch Lite.

With that in mind, perhaps this bodes better for the future of Advance Wars? A series that can appeal greatly to the Switch Lite audience especially in light of Wargroove's success.

If nothing else, there's merit to Nintendo having IntSys do an AW alongside whatever FE they're doing given Paper Mario is on ice and Codename STEAM bombed pretty badly. Except for the rumored WarioWare Switch game which will prob be out sometime next year.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Thread's been dead for a bit so I wanted to share something I posted in the Isaac thread.

https://www.thenintendovillage.com/articles/2019/11/11/nintendo-actively-exploring-more-remakes

Obviously, this pertains more to remakes but it was interesting to note how Furwakawa stated that Nintendo is looking at past titles as a whole and also interested in new titles to bring to the Switch Lite.

With that in mind, perhaps this bodes better for the future of Advance Wars? A series that can appeal greatly to the Switch Lite audience especially in light of Wargroove's success.

If nothing else, there's merit to Nintendo having IntSys do an AW alongside whatever FE they're doing given Paper Mario is on ice and Codename STEAM bombed pretty badly. Except for the rumored WarioWare Switch game which will prob be out sometime next year.
Why'd you have to remind me Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. bombed? I'm still upset about that...

As for what this means for Advance Wars... it depends. As we all know by this point, Fire Emblem is IntSys's main franchise, so it's hard to say if they would consider bringing back Advance Wars. Not saying they can't co-exist (in fact, I think they DID co-exist for awhile), but with Three Houses quickly becoming the best-selling FE game, it may be hard to justify, even with Wargroove's success. I've mentioned this before, but they may need to change up the formula somehow in order for it stand on its own. This is assuming that what was said about character-likability is still a problem, of course. Still, I don't think it's impossible.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Oh good, looks like I won't need to bump.

I forgot to mention, but I actually saw a physical copy of Wargroove in the wild, at EB Games. I wonder if there are other stores that carry the game.
Yeah, Wargroove got a big physical release not too long ago for Switch & PS4 which really bodes well for how well that game did. I've been meaning to look in to a physical copy even tho I own digital.
Why'd you have to remind me Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. bombed? I'm still upset about that...

As for what this means for Advance Wars... it depends. As we all know by this point, Fire Emblem is IntSys's main franchise, so it's hard to say if they would consider bringing back Advance Wars. Not saying they can't co-exist (in fact, I think they DID co-exist for awhile), but with Three Houses quickly becoming the best-selling FE game, it may be hard to justify, even with Wargroove's success. I've mentioned this before, but they may need to change up the formula somehow in order for it stand on its own. This is assuming that what was said about character-likability is still a problem, of course. Still, I don't think it's impossible.
It was the best selling game but even then, the law of diminishing returns applies still. Sure, they could pull out another FE game (most likely a remake) using the TH engine but it would lead to a sales decline for each passing installment and eventually, a new AW would be on the table. And like I mentioned, there's merit to doing AW alongside FE given IntSys other properties aren't exactly lighting the world on fire and the demand for AW-like games is hot now (something that didn't exist before 2019 I would argue). Given the fundemental gameplay differences between the two, it's feasible it could happen provided Nintendo and IntSys can overcome their hangup with the character relationship thing.

And sorry for reminding you about STEAM but I just wanted to illustrate my point lol.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I see Advance Wars being more of a series that you just make a new game for, rather than remaking an old one. They've held up very well, and while the OG titles could be remade in 3D, I don't know how well that fits with the series' style (this may just be me though) and I think reviving the series might be enough of a risk that they'd be turned off from spending so much and would rather reboot it in a retro-style game (y'know, like Wargroove). Plus it's not like there's this complex plot like Golden Sun where you'd need the new audience to be familiar before releasing a sequel, the games are more standalone.

But it is a possibility that we get a remake, maybe something more along the vein of the Mario & Luigi remakes. Maybe we could get a remake for Days of Ruin, that I think is the title which would lend itself more towards a 3D realistic style. Or maybe a remake of the older, pre-Advance games, that would allow the creative freedom to introduce a new cast and maybe even the shipping mechanics they want while not alienating fans of the Advance crew.

Top Bottom