• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orange Star's Hyperactive Whiz Kid! - Andy For Smash Ultimate! We'll Live To Fight Another Day...

Favorite Advance Wars Game (Not Including pre-AW and Battalion Wars)

• Total voters

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
In regards to that subject matter, it's got me thinking. Do you guys think this might be time when the series gets revived? I mean FE:TH is only releasing next week so I doubt they're going to release a new FE right away (unless it's a spinoff title or something) and the team that made Advance Wars in the past (the B-Team that made SoV a few years ago) haven't been heard from as of late.
I think it's our best shot. If nothing is announced between now and 2021 I'd lose hope, but as long as Fire Emblem isn't putting out a new title a year there's a chance.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I put the link on Twitter, but I don't know if he's noticed it or not. It doesn't help that said Youtuber is at a bit of a crossroads with his channel at the moment in terms of content.
Ahh well, it was worth trying I guess. I heard his name floated around here sometimes. Would have been nice to get some exposure but even then I bet a lot would doubt haha.
I think it's our best shot. If nothing is announced between now and 2021 I'd lose hope, but as long as Fire Emblem isn't putting out a new title a year there's a chance.
Yeah that's the timeframe I imagined as well. I mean a new announcement would have to happen really soon. Like in this year's September Direct or the start of the year Direct. And if the series is going to have any hope for Smash, it has to be in the September Direct to cross-promote. i.e. Series revival being announced in tandem with Andy being in Smash Ultimate.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Awesome sauce! I heard Tiny Metal was getting a sequel and i've been hearing mostly positive things about it. Is the game any good? I remember the 1st game was met with mixed reception and of course, there was a big stink about the GoFundMe controversy. Wargroove ended up being the AW-like game of choice for most such as myself but if this game improved from the first game, I would be interested in checking it out.

Also, have you guys seen the theory I posted in my previous post? I'm really curious to know what you guys think. Even if you don't think it means anything.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Now that Three Houses is out it seems that Koei Tecmo has contributed more to the game than previously thought. This is good news for a potential larger project being worked on by IS. Of course it could just be Paper Mario or something, or it could be nothing, so don't get too excited about it.

GlitchWarrior

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3540-4749-2681
At this point, the only thing that would excite me more than Andy for Smash is AW for SWITCH.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Funny that you guys bring this up because there was a recent interview where Intelligent Systems was asked about a new Advance Wars and this is what they had to say...

https://ca.ign.com/articles/2019/07...f-theyve-thought-about-an-advance-wars-sequel

“While we can say that we’re working on the DLC and there’s going to be a lot of content [for Fire Emblem], we really don’t even have the time to even think about what we’re going to be doing afterward," Kusakihara said via translation. "We will be pretty busy, but we’ll keep working with Intelligent Systems and Koei Tecmo on all of this content that’s coming.”
So on the surface level that might not sound encouraging (given the "we don't have time to think about what we're doing next" comment), it's still more encouraging in recent years where they outright denied doing a new game or gave some sort of platitude statement instead.

Remember, these was the last comments made by both Nintendo & Intelligent Systems the last time they were asked about a new Advance Wars in 2017.

“Personally, I'd love to do Advance Wars,” Yamagami told Eurogamer, “but since it's harder to create relationships between its characters compared to Fire Emblem, I don't have a clear idea of what kind of setting it could have." [From Nintendo]
"The Advance Wars series is one that I personally have a lot of interest in," Higuchi said. "I hear some of the staff here saying that they want to make one too, so if we have a chance it's something I'd like to do!" [From Intelligent Systems]
So instead of outright saying "No we're not going to do that now", they gave a more generic PR answer of "We can neither confirm nor deny" & "Buy our new Three Houses game".

I also don't buy "we really don't have enough time to think about what we'll do next" given how big the studio at Intelligent Systems is and the skeleton crew who worked on Three Houses. They've been doing a lot of other projects since then (including the rumored WarioWare on the Switch) and of course they're going to have a good idea of what they'll do next given they forecast these kinds of things well in advance. It seems more like PR fluff regardless on whether or not a new game is happening.

I would say this has probably been the most encouraging thing to come out from them in years and the first time in a long time when they just didn't outright say "we'd love to do Advance Wars if given the chance". Well this along with the success of AW-indies in the market as i've mentioned and maybe things are on the up for us finally.

Anyways, i'd liked to hear your thoughts about this. I know everyone is really hyped for Hero's release later today and all but it would be nice to get some discussion going on here.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
That comment is interesting. I haven't looked at it myself, but people have been saying that only 17 IS employees are listed in the TH credits. Most likely, Koei Tecmo did all the programming while IS designed the game. It could be that the programmers at IS (not sure how many of those they employ) are making an engine for something else. If it's true that so few IS employees worked on TH, then one would think they must have been making something else, too.

But either way, I don't think that Kusakihara's comments confirm or deny the possibility of a new AW

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
As someone who's been playing Three Houses (Black Eagles is best house, don't @ me), I think the Battalion system, where you hire nameless mooks to help with certain attacks, could theoretically work for an Advance Wars game. I mentioned in my pitch way back when that a possible solution to the "relatable characters" problem would be to get them directly involved. Perhaps we can get them a sort of personal army that could assist them in conflict? It would probably have to be a bit more complex than what we get in Three Houses, though.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I heard that Three Houses somewhat moved away from the whole romance aspect of the series (pls no spoilers I plan on getting it) so I think that actually helps the case for AW in the post-Awakening era.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
That comment is interesting. I haven't looked at it myself, but people have been saying that only 17 IS employees are listed in the TH credits. Most likely, Koei Tecmo did all the programming while IS designed the game. It could be that the programmers at IS (not sure how many of those they employ) are making an engine for something else. If it's true that so few IS employees worked on TH, then one would think they must have been making something else, too.

But either way, I don't think that Kusakihara's comments confirm or deny the possibility of a new AW
Exactly. While IS may have been responsible for the game's design and what have you, the game was; by all accounts heavily Koei Tecmo developed. Looked at the credits, it's amazing to see how much of this was lead by Koei Tecmo. The amount of employees on the Koei Tecmo side is like 4-5X bigger than the IS crew involved. Not only that...
As someone who's been playing Three Houses (Black Eagles is best house, don't @ me), I think the Battalion system, where you hire nameless mooks to help with certain attacks, could theoretically work for an Advance Wars game. I mentioned in my pitch way back when that a possible solution to the "relatable characters" problem would be to get them directly involved. Perhaps we can get them a sort of personal army that could assist them in conflict? It would probably have to be a bit more complex than what we get in Three Houses, though.
There was also this. The engine is seemingly pretty AW-like with how some of the gameplay works. Obviously, it's hardly anything how AW plays but the way the engine is modeled would make it really easy to make a new AW game.

And TBH, I could see this being the reason why Nintendo/IS changes their mind on AW and finally gives it a chance. They would finally have a way around the hangup they had for so long. If this was a decision done in late-2017/early-2018, I could totally see this happening.
I heard that Three Houses somewhat moved away from the whole romance aspect of the series (pls no spoilers I plan on getting it) so I think that actually helps the case for AW in the post-Awakening era.
Even more going in our corner. I'm sure Nintendo is going to want some relationship stuff in a new AW but for the most part I don't think they'll over do it too much given Three Houses. The Wars series has enough strategic depth to not need much of that anyways.

I haven't played TH myself but from what I heard, it was a major step up from the FE's of the 3DS era. Intelligent Systems seems to finally be listening to it's fans now. Hopefully, that means they'll work on a new AW now. Whether or not a new game is in development right now.

So yeah. All in all with IS's comments coming off as "PR fluff" of sorts and all the revelations here, I would say AW's chances have gone up quite significantly. If there was a new AW game in development in the timeframe I mentioned (late-2017/early-2018), I could very well see Andy as DLC to promote the return of the series.

Lets all pray to the Smash Gods for this to happen! :)

SPEN18

Smash Lord
without saying too much, I can say that there's a lot to like about Three Houses from what I've played so far

even with all the new features it feels more like classic FE than Awakening and Fates, especially playing on Hard/Classic

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
without saying too much, I can say that there's a lot to like about Three Houses from what I've played so far

even with all the new features it feels more like classic FE than Awakening and Fates, especially playing on Hard/Classic
That's great! I was worried that with the whole school setting they would veer further into Fates territory, I felt that game got really cringey with its characters.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

This fanart is amazing. My top two requested characters in the same fanart. Given how Advance Wars & Golden Sun were the must haves for the GBA as well as the crossover between Andy & Isaac fans, this is awesome on so many levels.

Even more so considering this is coming from a Japanese artist. Advance Wars has struggled there in the past so it's really cool to see AW getting love in that region.

That's great! I was worried that with the whole school setting they would veer further into Fates territory, I felt that game got really cringey with its characters.
Pretty much why I think IS has reconsidered in recent years. Becoming less tone deaf to what their fans want and what have you.

It also stands to reason why in the interview they gave, they didn't go the route of "we'd love to make Advance Wars if given the chance" as they've done for the past 6+ years. Instead of saying that, they were all like "we can't talk about anything but please buy Three Houses". I don't know about you guys but i'm feeling more optimistic than usual for a new Advance Wars around the horizon. Lets hope so!

CboyC95

Smash Apprentice
What I am looking forward to is a new Battalion Wars game or a game with similar mechanics.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
What I am looking forward to is a new Battalion Wars game or a game with similar mechanics.
I would say Battalion Wars could see a return if Advance Wars came back and did strong numbers. The bigger the Wars series is, the better. Of course, finding a developer for the series might be a challenge. I don't think Kuju Entertainment is interested in doing another game. They seem to be doing more Art Academy these days. Tell me if i'm wrong on this.

Speaking of which, what are your guys thoughts on Battalion Wars? I haven't played it much but i've watched the Campaign on Youtube. It looks pretty fun to play and it would be a great compliment to the core Advance Wars series should they both return.

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
A little birdy told me to come here.

I've only played the first game in the series, and I'm not a huge fan of strategy games, but I love the designs of the characters and all their connections with each other. I think this series has definitely gotten way less than it deserves in Ultimate. I don't think a rep is particularly likely for DLC, but I would love to see some mii fighter costumes for the series. If Sami got in as a Gunner costume, I would use the hell out of that. Andy as a swordfighter (with a wrench as a sword) and Max as a brawler would also be pretty dope.

Greetings from the Geno thread by the way :y

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
A little birdy told me to come here.

I've only played the first game in the series, and I'm not a huge fan of strategy games, but I love the designs of the characters and all their connections with each other. I think this series has definitely gotten way less than it deserves in Ultimate. I don't think a rep is particularly likely for DLC, but I would love to see some mii fighter costumes for the series. If Sami got in as a Gunner costume, I would use the hell out of that. Andy as a swordfighter (with a wrench as a sword) and Max as a brawler would also be pretty dope.

Greetings from the Geno thread by the way :y
Welcome Geno Gang! We really need the activity here haha.

I agree with you in that we're not likely for DLC. But as I mentioned in the Geno thread, there's a small bit of hope for Andy given the Infantry & Tanks AT is mysteriously gone and there wasn't a Mii Costume to compensate like Saki/Ray. Unless they plan to give AW a Mii Costume as DLC which I really doubt.

The designs of AW are very out there I agree. That's apart of the series charm. Like Andy being some 12-13 year old kid as a military commander and Max having muscles bigger than his head lol. All of this in thanks to Ryo Hirata, who got his start in the video game/anime/manga business doing Advance Wars as his first project. You should check his Twitter out because there's a lot of good stuff there.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Hello everyone! I am new to this thread and have really only read the OP and some comments here and there. I found the OP very informative and interesting. I am not an AW rep supporter per se because I haven't really gotten into the games. But it was suggested by someone on the Geno thread that I come and check out this thread.

I thought that Smrpg and AW are in similar but certainly not identical spots with being neglected by Nintendo so it would be a good idea to come say hi. I do like the movesets outlined in the OP and the aesthetic of AW so in that respect I would be happy to see an AW rep in Smash.

So I guess I'm just here to say that I support you guys in your fight for representation and appreciation from Nintendo because I totally get it being someone who has wanted a new SMRPG and Geno in Smash since Melee.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hello everyone! I am new to this thread and have really only read the OP and some comments here and there. I found the OP very informative and interesting. I am not an AW rep supporter per se because I haven't really gotten into the games. But it was suggested by someone on the Geno thread that I come and check out this thread.

I thought that Smrpg and AW are in similar but certainly not identical spots with being neglected by Nintendo so it would be a good idea to come say hi. I do like the movesets outlined in the OP and the aesthetic of AW so in that respect I would be happy to see an AW rep in Smash.

So I guess I'm just here to say that I support you guys in your fight for representation and appreciation from Nintendo because I totally get it being someone who has wanted a new SMRPG and Geno in Smash since Melee.
Hey, thanks! A lot of people have been dropping by from the Geno thread, I wonder what spurred that?

But yeah, I think the two are in similar situations. They're classics, even if you wouldn't think so with how underappreciated they are.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Thanks for stopping by! Added you to the support list.

You should try out the series. It's a bit harder to come by now that the Wii U is becoming more obsolete but if you happen to have a Wii U, you can purchase the first Advance Wars (localized internationally that is) along with it's sequel and Dual Strike (the DS installment of the franchise). Unfortunately, Days of Ruin (another DS entry and the last game released) isn't on there so you'll have to look second hand for that one. Other than that, Wargroove is a great way to experience the classic feel of Advance Wars. It was a best-seller on the E-Shop for a long time so it's pretty popular.

wow that was a pretty big write-up lmao

Anyways yeah, you're absolutely right. It's amazing to see the parallels between Advance Wars and SMRPG. I mean those series along with Golden Sun which is even more similar to AW's situation. For the longest time, we've been treated pretty poorly in the recent age and this series has seen a lot of rotten luck particularly in the 2010's. I'm hoping for a multitude of reasons (Wargroove's success, increased fan demand, etc.) that the 2020's will be the comeback decade for the series much like the 2010's were for Fire Emblem.
Hey, thanks! A lot of people have been dropping by from the Geno thread, I wonder what spurred that?
*sweats nervously*
Someone brought up the topic of underused GBA characters on the Geno thread, one thing led to another, and here we are now.
Darn it! You blew by cover lol.

Well not really but PokéfreakofBACON PokéfreakofBACON asked me where my avi came from and that brought up the GBA discussion. It is something pretty unrepresented in Smash so it deserves more love.

Also for those new here, let me know if you wish to be added to the support list. The more the merrier!

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Thanks for stopping by! Added you to the support list.

You should try out the series. It's a bit harder to come by now that the Wii U is becoming more obsolete but if you happen to have a Wii U, you can purchase the first Advance Wars (localized internationally that is) along with it's sequel and Dual Strike (the DS installment of the franchise). Unfortunately, Days of Ruin (another DS entry and the last game released) isn't on there so you'll have to look second hand for that one. Other than that, Wargroove is a great way to experience the classic feel of Advance Wars. It was a best-seller on the E-Shop for a long time so it's pretty popular.

wow that was a pretty big write-up lmao

Anyways yeah, you're absolutely right. It's amazing to see the parallels between Advance Wars and SMRPG. I mean those series along with Golden Sun which is even more similar to AW's situation. For the longest time, we've been treated pretty poorly in the recent age and this series has seen a lot of rotten luck particularly in the 2010's. I'm hoping for a multitude of reasons (Wargroove's success, increased fan demand, etc.) that the 2020's will be the comeback decade for the series much like the 2010's were for Fire Emblem.

*sweats nervously*

Darn it! You blew by cover lol.

Well not really but PokéfreakofBACON PokéfreakofBACON asked me where my avi came from and that brought up the GBA discussion. It is something pretty unrepresented in Smash so it deserves more love.

Also for those new here, let me know if you wish to be added to the support list. The more the merrier!
Yeah I do have Wargroove I just haven't finished it. I do like it though. Maybe I can find an advance wars lot on eBay or something. But that'll have to wait (saving up for an engagement ring for my girlfriend). I agree that Golden Sun and AW are more similar but those as well as SMRPG have certainly all been neglected for far too long and have some really great potential for Smash. And Smash certainly has overlooked gems GBA candidates.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah I do have Wargroove I just haven't finished it. I do like it though. Maybe I can find an advance wars lot on eBay or something. But that'll have to wait (saving up for an engagement ring for my girlfriend). I agree that Golden Sun and AW are more similar but those as well as SMRPG have certainly all been neglected for far too long and have some really great potential for Smash. And Smash certainly has overlooked gems GBA candidates.
That's awesome! Wargroove has captured a lot of that AW charm and Chucklefish came up with something really awesome in lieu of any new Advance Wars. And to think of all the other AW-like games that have popped out since then. There's a market for this kind of game and all these devs are getting in on that while Nintendo continues to stall. Hope that changes soon.

And hey trust me, your engagement is more important than buying any Advance Wars game. I don't think anyone will dispute that lmao. Congrats man!

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Lol yeah engagement is definitely>video games. But I don't want to take up space on the thread with nonvideo game related chatter so I'll try to refocus the conversation back to Smash/AW here. As someone unfamiliar with the AW series are there any awesome music tracks you'd really recommend I check out?

And another question just smash related (there's a thread for this but I find it really interesting): how do you guys feel about Piranha Plant? Do you think that it's interesting that the door is potentially open now to more generic characters? If we got another generic enemy or character who would you want? Or do you not like this concept?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
By the way, both DS installments made it on this: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/08/feature_best_nintendo_ds_games

And another question just smash related (there's a thread for this but I find it really interesting): how do you guys feel about Piranha Plant? Do you think that it's interesting that the door is potentially open now to more generic characters? If we got another generic enemy or character who would you want? Or do you not like this concept?
There are only two that I would want. Slime, and...

This guy :shyguy:, my favorite race of Marioverse enemies.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Lol yeah engagement is definitely>video games. But I don't want to take up space on the thread with nonvideo game related chatter so I'll try to refocus the conversation back to Smash/AW here. As someone unfamiliar with the AW series are there any awesome music tracks you'd really recommend I check out?

I feel very, very strongly against Piranha Plant. Generic monsters shouldn't be in Smash.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So, uh, regarding the conversation Ura Ura and I had about Andy being in a tank the other day (it was here), I actually started playing AW the other day to have a better judgement of moveset possibilities and, uh...

Much to their chagrin, I think I'm even more convinced about the tank idea now. I hope you'll accept my support regardless. :laugh:

That said... why is it that there is so little content from this series in Ultimate? You'd think it would at least have as many Spirits as Rhythm Heaven or something.

I'm not even that far into the first game and I can already see this could be one of those really good niche IPs for a company to have. Shame Nintendo stopped making these at a time where their niche franchises were easily discarded...

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Literally the entire OST lol. There's so many jammers with all the unique CO themes that all capture a certain feel and groove. I.e. You got the intense, high-energy theme for Max which really brings to life his "in your face" playstyle VS the slow, chill groove for Grit which captures his methodical, "strike from a distance" strategy. Honestly, the music of this franchise is one of it's many highlights and a big reason why it's held in such high regard.

As for how I feel about the Plant, i'm mostly indifferent. Thought it was dumb back in November but i've grown to not care that much. His moveset is pretty stiff & rigid for me to take a liking to. And no more generic characters for me personally.
There are only two that I would want. Slime, and...

This guy :shyguy:, my favorite race of Marioverse enemies.
My guy Advance Wars already has a Sniffit don't y'know?
So, uh, regarding the conversation Ura Ura and I had about Andy being in a tank the other day (it was here), I actually started playing AW the other day to have a better judgement of moveset possibilities and, uh...

Much to their chagrin, I think I'm even more convinced about the tank idea now. I hope you'll accept my support regardless. :laugh:

That said... why is it that there is so little content from this series in Ultimate? You'd think it would at least have as many Spirits as Rhythm Heaven or something.

I'm not even that far into the first game and I can already see this could be one of those really good niche IPs for a company to have. Shame Nintendo stopped making these at a time where their niche franchises were easily discarded...
Hey you do you my guy. The more people in to AW representation the better even if i'm repulsed by the Tank moveset lol.

It also baffles me why there's so little content. And it also gives me a little bit of hope for Andy in the Fighters Pass as a result despite the 4 Spirits in game. I see no reason for the removal of the Infantry & Tanks AT not to mention not having any Mii Costume as compensation for the AT removal (see Saki). And the Spirit selection doesn't even cover the most important characters in the game like Sami & Max.

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Personally I enjoy playing as Piranha Plant and think it fills a niche that had been untouched in smash gameplay-wise. I can understand why people wouldn't want generic characters but I actually think as long as the moveset potential is there it could be really fun.

There is a Chozo thread on Smashboards with cool ideas for that generic character. I personally like generic Space Pirate from Metroid myself. And I have a soft spot for Black Mage from Final Fantasy. I also think a Koopa Bros kind of thing would be cool they could incorporate the paratroopers for up special, hammers and boomerangs in moves ,etc and have a dry Bones alt of course. Shy Guy is cool I don't how that moveset would look but I feel they could pull a lot from Mario & Luigi games.

But I'm not sure I would want any beyond stuff like that. Slime might be cool tho. I think as long as it fills a new niche like Piranha Plant did and it's a very recognizable character like a lot of Mario enemies it's ok. Don't get me wrong I'd still prefer actual characters I just think having the door open for these kind of generic characters is actually kind of cool and interesting.

Also, I'll have to look into the music for AW then, Ura. Sounds like it will definitely be worth my while.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Today is officially the 31st anniversary of the Wars series my dudes! Here's hoping it's not too much longer before we get the return of the series, preferably in a year or two.

And maaaaaybe some sweet Smash DLC to go along with that right? :bluejump:
Personally I enjoy playing as Piranha Plant and think it fills a niche that had been untouched in smash gameplay-wise. I can understand why people wouldn't want generic characters but I actually think as long as the moveset potential is there it could be really fun.

There is a Chozo thread on Smashboards with cool ideas for that generic character. I personally like generic Space Pirate from Metroid myself. And I have a soft spot for Black Mage from Final Fantasy. I also think a Koopa Bros kind of thing would be cool they could incorporate the paratroopers for up special, hammers and boomerangs in moves ,etc and have a dry Bones alt of course. Shy Guy is cool I don't how that moveset would look but I feel they could pull a lot from Mario & Luigi games.

But I'm not sure I would want any beyond stuff like that. Slime might be cool tho. I think as long as it fills a new niche like Piranha Plant did and it's a very recognizable character like a lot of Mario enemies it's ok. Don't get me wrong I'd still prefer actual characters I just think having the door open for these kind of generic characters is actually kind of cool and interesting.

Also, I'll have to look into the music for AW then, Ura. Sounds like it will definitely be worth my while.
Well we each have our preference I guess. Generic enemies aren't my things. More in to the main/side characters for franchises. Black Mage would be sick tho, I recall he was seen as somewhat likely in the Smash 4 DLC days before Cloud killed his chances. :(

For sure! Youtube has the whole library of AW tracks. Search around hard enough and you'll come across some sweet remixes as well.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
If I had a choice between a soldier and a CO being playable, I would take a CO any day. At least they are characters or at least people with the most dialogue in the games.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So an idea I thought of...

Given that Spirits are the most basic representation for a series to have, do you guys think that we would have got an Andy Spirit regardless of him being DLC or not? I'm of the opinion that he would be in regardless given he's the face of the franchise and Advance Wars needs some representation on the Base Roster DLC or not. It would be completely off for Ultimate to feature pretty much every series in existence but to omit the Wars series. Hence why I believe those four Spirits aren't as much of a "death blow" as some may think. Even more so with the noticeable ommission of Sami & Max.

It's also the reason why the lack of any AT or Mii Costume is very odd (or a music track for that matter). I think people should focus on that more than Andy being a Spirit. It really has no reason to miss that kind of content in Ultimate where as an effort was made to give almost every single niche franchise something of worth like the three I mentioned. I talked about this before but it's annoying when people ignore this and fixate on "Andy's a Spirit he can't get in". Just saying.
If I had a choice between a soldier and a CO being playable, I would take a CO any day. At least they are characters or at least people with the most dialogue in the games.
Exactly. I've seen some concept designs for Infantry & Tanks as a fighter but really it doesn't feel right without a CO leading the charge and having their own identity. Not to mention the CO's are the ones who have fleshed out personalities as shown in the in-battle animations and their theme songs that bring them to life.

I also feel that Infantry & Tanks on their own make them sort of generic gunner fighters whereas a CO combining their own unique traits (i.e. Andy with his Wrenches or Sami with her Machine Gun) with a summoning mechanic would make for a much more "inspired" moveset so to speak.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So an idea I thought of...

Given that Spirits are the most basic representation for a series to have, do you guys think that we would have got an Andy Spirit regardless of him being DLC or not? I'm of the opinion that he would be in regardless given he's the face of the franchise and Advance Wars needs some representation on the Base Roster DLC or not. It would be completely off for Ultimate to feature pretty much every series in existence but to omit the Wars series. Hence why I believe those four Spirits aren't as much of a "death blow" as some may think. Even more so with the noticeable ommission of Sami & Max.

It's also the reason why the lack of any AT or Mii Costume is very odd (or a music track for that matter). I think people should focus on that more than Andy being a Spirit. It really has no reason to miss that kind of content in Ultimate where as an effort was made to give almost every single niche franchise something of worth like the three I mentioned. I talked about this before but it's annoying when people ignore this and fixate on "Andy's a Spirit he can't get in". Just saying.

Exactly. I've seen some concept designs for Infantry & Tanks as a fighter but really it doesn't feel right without a CO leading the charge and having their own identity. Not to mention the CO's are the ones who have fleshed out personalities as shown in the in-battle animations and their theme songs that bring them to life.

I also feel that Infantry & Tanks on their own make them sort of generic gunner fighters whereas a CO combining their own unique traits (i.e. Andy with his Wrenches or Sami with her Machine Gun) with a summoning mechanic would make for a much more "inspired" moveset so to speak.
To be honest I don't think Andy having a Spirit has any bearing on whether he gets in or not, I don't think he'll get in but he theoretically could. It's just that I think it's clear the plan from the start was to do all third-parties and so they gave every first party they could think of a Spirit because there wouldn't be any issue.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
The Geno thread has been debating spirits a lot lately. Many have pointed out the inconsistencies in the spirit argument. Of course we won't know until we know, but I wouldn't get hung up on the spirits issue as there is no way to substantiate the argument even though all the dlc so far has had no representation in Smash including spirits.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
To be honest I don't think Andy having a Spirit has any bearing on whether he gets in or not, I don't think he'll get in but he theoretically could. It's just that I think it's clear the plan from the start was to do all third-parties and so they gave every first party they could think of a Spirit because there wouldn't be any issue.
I mean I was speaking in a general sense of "Andy wouldn't have a Spirit in game if he were DLC" because that's simply not true. The Wars series is one of the longest running 1st party series so naturally the face of the franchise and his series would have to have some content in the base game. Given Spirits are the most basic form of representation, it made sense to have those 4 Spirits in DLC or not.

As for the "DLC will all be 3rd Party thing", I don't subscribe to that personally. I mean it could very well happen but it doesn't mean it has to be true. I got no doubts the Pass will be predominantly 3rd party anyways but like, it doesn't have to be 100% 3rd party. They could easily justify a 1st Party in to lower development costs for the Pass and use the leverage they're getting from all these new buyers to promote a franchise like AW and get all these new eyeballs on this franchise if they intend to bring it back at some point (see below). And also, the unique moveset a character like Andy would bring would help broaden the appeal of the Pass even if he's not the most well known.

See what I said about things going in favor for Andy's inclusion. I mean even if it's a coincidence, I don't see how AW's AT mysteriously vanishes for no reason and we're left without a Mii Costume unlike all the other smaller franchises that were given that. Or even a track from one of the GBA/DS games to compensate for the lack of anything really.

When you couple these things (along with other things I said in the Doc and in this thread), things are very questionable to say the least. Even more so now given the news of only 17 IS employees were working on 3H. Could it be possible that a new game is in development and Andy is being made DLC to promote the return of the series? Or alternatively, a new game isn't in development but Andy is being made DLC to promote the return of the franchise once IS finishes work on 3H? In this case, maybe they had advance knowledge of this and made the decision to promote the series in Smash before it formally returns?

Remember, the statement from IS was "we don't have time to think about what we'll do next" VS outright saying "we really don't know what we'll be doing next". That shows that they most likely know what they're doing next or even have something in development even if it's going to be in the back-burner until 3H DLC is done given that's their priority for now.
The Geno thread has been debating spirits a lot lately. Many have pointed out the inconsistencies in the spirit argument. Of course we won't know until we know, but I wouldn't get hung up on the spirits issue as there is no way to substantiate the argument even though all the dlc so far has had no representation in Smash including spirits.
Yeah that's my thing as well. Spirits are a highly debated topic in the Smash Community and all but like...no one really knows for sure other than educated guesses. It could very well be the death blow for characters or on the flip side, it could be the community jumping to their own conclusions based off patterns. Either way, I don't believe a Spirit is as damning as say, having a Mii Costume, music track, or the most obvious, having an Assist Trophy.

Speaking of which, there's a lot of rumors going out there for Geno and that he might be in outside the Fighters Pass. I really hope it's true personally. For one, I want to see the fan base hyped and all but selfishly, I want to see the "Spirits deconfirm" rule go down in ashes.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...deluxe_physical_edition_on_switch_this_autumn

Physical edition, ho!

In all seriousness though, I could actually consider buying this.

As for the "DLC will all be 3rd Party thing", I don't subscribe to that personally. I mean it could very well happen but it doesn't mean it has to be true. I got no doubts the Pass will be predominantly 3rd party anyways but like, it doesn't have to be 100% 3rd party. They could easily justify a 1st Party in to lower development costs for the Pass and use the leverage they're getting from all these new buyers to promote a franchise like AW and get all these new eyeballs on this franchise if they intend to bring it back at some point (see below). And also, the unique moveset a character like Andy would bring would help broaden the appeal of the Pass even if he's not the most well known.
The fanbase tends to be quite literally-minded, so it's no wonder why Reggie's comment at the VGAs got grossly misinterpreted to mean "the pass only has new series" instead of "all the characters in the pass are newcomers".

Honestly not sure about AW, but there will be a first party sneaked in there somewhere, guaranteed. Even if it's from IS forcing their hand for Fire Emblem.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...deluxe_physical_edition_on_switch_this_autumn

Physical edition, ho!

In all seriousness though, I could actually consider buying this.
I might actually seriously consider double dipping. I mean I did buy the game last Winter but I also really want to support Wargroove and the AW-genre so to speak. At the end of the day, it's all about sending the message to Nintendo & Intelligent Systems in that we want to see the return of this franchise.
The fanbase tends to be quite literally-minded, so it's no wonder why Reggie's comment at the VGAs got grossly misinterpreted to mean "the pass only has new series" instead of "all the characters in the pass are newcomers".

Honestly not sure about AW, but there will be a first party sneaked in there somewhere, guaranteed. Even if it's from IS forcing their hand for Fire Emblem.
Well to be fair, I think the Pass itself is sort of a soft deconfirm for pre-existing series. I mean the ones that already have fighters, tracks, and what have you. Given that there's emphasis on the new stage & new tracks, it seems to go in favor for franchises that never had this kind of representation before. In that regard, I don't think Fire Emblem is likely to happen on the Pass unless it's sold individually or on another Fighters Pass which I have my doubts for.

With something like Advance Wars, it's easier to see happening. It would be an entirely new franchise added in to the game (asides from like 4 Spirits that could be integrated in the DLC Spirit Board) and there's really nothing for it (base game wise) in regards to the content I mentioned above. Whether intentional or unintentional, things are set up in a way where the franchise could feasibly become DLC. The only hurdle is if Nintendo/IS was willing to revive the franchise and that's what really makes or breaks Andy's chances. As I said before, I find it really odd that only 17 employees were on board for 3H and the official comment from IS was that they "don't have time to think next" VS "having not thought of anything at all".

And of course, the absence of the more important AW CO's like Sami, Max, Nell, Hawke, Sturm, Jake, Rachel, Will, etc is incredibly sus. One would think these characters would have priority over side characters like Eagle & Olaf as Spirits. As it stands right now, AW is the only franchise that has this weird distinction whereas every series out there is covered for it's more important characters. Almost like they were holding them back for later? Food for thought.

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I wrote a moveset for Andy, mostly because I was feeling inspired. I based it more around the idea of the CO's working together to command their troops, just with Andy being the troop in this case. He uses his wrenches instead of guns or whatever, mostly because it felt cooler. I'd love feedback if you have any <3

Concept:
In Advance Wars, the Commanding Officers (AKA the only actual characters) never truly fight, at least not really. They command an army and send out troops. So, while this moveset is for Andy, it will focus on CO's offering their help to their troops, with Andy being the troop in this case. This same moveset COULD theoretically work for a generic infantry unit, if not for the fact that Andy's wrenches will be used as weapons in this moveset.

Stats:
Below average movement on the ground and in the air, slightly lighter than Mario, only one double jump, average aerial aceleration, average dodge frame data, etc etc. Andy is specifically an all-around jack-of-all-trades in AW, so his stats will reflect that, but be slightly worse than average. This is because his special moves will allow him to be above average.

Normals:
Most of his normals will be fairly standard attacks, about what you'd expect for a guy holding two wrenches. They'll have small disjoints, but be quick and do decent damage. Comparable to Joker's daggers, but slightly slower and slightly stronger.

Jab- Classic 1 2 punch with an uppercut finisher, just with the wrenches in his hands for extra weight.
F-Tilt/U-Tilt- Andy holds one wrench out in the held direction and spins it for a moment, multihit disjoint.
D-Tilt- A two-hit move like some F-Tilts, a leg sweep followed by a step forward while swinging the wrench underhand.
Dash-Attack- A small tank appears and Andy rides it for a moment before hopping out. The tank disappears after the move finishes. Somewhat of a reference to the AW1 title screen/boxart.

N-Air- A horizontal spin with arms outstretched.
F-Air/B-Air- A quick swing of one wrench forward/backward, covering a decent amount of space.
U-Air- Lifts up both wrenches like his AW1 art, good juggling tool.
D-Air- Andy flips upside down and hits below him once with each wrench. Second hit spikes. Slow move overall, long landing lag.

Andy puts away his wrenches for his smash attacks and summons units from the games, in their pixel art forms.
F-Smash- He points forward, summoning an infantry unit that fires a machine gun multhihit attack. Functions like Mii Gunner F-Smash, lower to the ground.
U-Smash- He points upward, and two Anti-Air units shoot above him in an X pattern, similar multihit to F-Smash.
D-Smash- He puts his hand to his mouth to whistle, and a Bomber flies above him dropping bombs from behind to in front of him to cover both sides. Drops 5 bombs total.

Generic grab/pummel/throws.

Specials:
Up/Side/Down special all have another CO appear to help Andy. These moves have very little startup and endlag, with the other CO doing the move itself. However, he can't use these moves again until after the CO has left, making them impossible to use in quick succession.

Up Special- Eagle's Lightning Drive
Eagle appears behind Andy, grabbing him as they both fly up with a trail of lightning behind them. Can be angled a bit left/right. Functions like Pit's Up B but with a strong hitbox reminiscent of Lucas's PK Thunder 2.

Side Special- Grit's Snipe Attack
Grit appears behind Andy and fires a bazooka forward. It travels quickly and does more damage the farther it travels.

Down Special- Sonja's Counter Break
Sonja Appears in front of Andy as a "shield" of sorts. If she gets attacked, she'll either counter normal attacks or reflect projectiles. If she succeeds, she salutes before leaving. If she does nothing, she shrugs before disappearing.

Neutral Special- CO Meter Charge/CO Power/Super CO Power
Andy will have a CO meter above his portrait, that charges up every time he lands a successful attack. Neutral Special can also charge the meter, as long as it isn't fully charged. When a CO Power is available, this move functions similarly to Shulk's Monado Arts, allowing you to choose between Andy, Max, and Sami's CO powers, which will be signified with the character's head. The meter can be charged further past that, allowing you to use Super CO Powers when the meter can't be charged anymore.

Andy CO Power- Hyper Repair/Hyper Upgrade
Activating Andy's CO Power will heal Andy 10% (20% with super CO power) and make him heavier for 20 seconds. This option is best for when you want to stay alive, since the CO Meter obviously won't stay with you when you die.

Max CO Power- Max Force/Max Blast
Activating Max's CO Power will create a small (larger with super CO) explosion that has decent kill power, and then make all of Andy's attacks deal more damage/knockback for 20 seconds. Best for finishing off opponents that are at high percents, or potentially getting early kills.

Sami CO Power- Double Time/Victory March
Activating Sami's CO Power will let you start with a small amount of meter instead of none of it once the effect wears off, (slightly more with super CO) and then increase Andy's speed/air speed/fall speed for 20 seconds.

Nell CO Power- Lucky Star/Lady Luck
Whenever you activate a CO Power, it has a small chance (~15%) to be replaced by Nell's CO power instead. Nell's CO Power has no special effect upon activation, but will give you the buffs of all the other three powers (weight, damage/knockback, speed) for 10 seconds.

Final Smash- Meteor Strike
Andy manages to get help from Sturm, calling a meteor in to crash into the battlefield in front of him, potentially taking out several opponents.

Last edited:
Top Bottom