• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orange Star's Hyperactive Whiz Kid! - Andy For Smash Ultimate! We'll Live To Fight Another Day...

Favorite Advance Wars Game (Not Including pre-AW and Battalion Wars)

• Total voters

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Well I mean in the event that Andy was planned, the whole Smash community is going to be buzzing about it and we would see an influx of Andy/Advance Wars related fanart, fan-movesets, as well as increased speculation of an Advance Wars revival.

And if that were the case, then would be a better time than ever to do something of that nature. Even without we still outta' try something. Like the Twitter account thing I mentioned.
Of course with Isaac, he's a lot more popular than Andy and his deconfirmation led to the spike in interest of seeing Golden Sun return and himself in Smash.
Yeah the thing is that Andy isn't yet considered to be a big-time popular request for Smash. A new AW game is probably the best chance of getting representation, but like you said we can't count on that to happen by itself. There's also the chance he comes in as a surprise or "retro" pick as you have theorized before. But rallying the Advance Wars fans is gonna be a difficult task; it would be really nice if we got something to break our way, such as Andy being in the game's code.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah the thing is that Andy isn't yet considered to be a big-time popular request for Smash. A new AW game is probably the best chance of getting representation, but like you said we can't count on that to happen by itself. There's also the chance he comes in as a surprise or "retro" pick as you have theorized before. But rallying the Advance Wars fans is gonna be a difficult task; it would be really nice if we got something to break our way, such as Andy being in the game's code.
Exactly. Hence why a datamine (if it were to happen) is our only way to gain serious traction in the Smash community for Advance Wars representation. Unfortunately, the series isn't talked about as much in a Smash capacity (compared to fellow niche series like Golden Sun and Custom Robo) as I mentioned before which needs to change.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Exactly. Hence why a datamine (if it were to happen) is our only way to gain serious traction in the Smash community for Advance Wars representation. Unfortunately, the series isn't talked about as much in a Smash capacity (compared to fellow niche series like Golden Sun and Custom Robo) as I mentioned before which needs to change.
Okay, so what if a datamine happens and we find no extra Advance Wars content lying around?

Yes, it would be amazing for us if Andy was found in the dark depths of the game's code, but we shouldn't be counting exclusively on that. We need to think of some other ways to bring Advance Wars to the forefront of Smash speculation, so that if this one particular strand of hope happens to snap, we'll still have plenty of others.

I think a big first step is convincing more people that a CO would not only be a feasible fighter, but also an interesting and fun fighter. We already have plenty of great ideas in this thread about that, but we need some kind of platform for sharing it.

As both of us have said, we could use a break. Something like Andy being in the code or Rathalos Tweet 2.0. But is there something we can do to help us get that break?

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Okay, so what if a datamine happens and we find no extra Advance Wars content lying around?

Yes, it would be amazing for us if Andy was found in the dark depths of the game's code, but we shouldn't be counting exclusively on that. We need to think of some other ways to bring Advance Wars to the forefront of Smash speculation, so that if this one particular strand of hope happens to snap, we'll still have plenty of others.

I think a big first step is convincing more people that a CO would not only be a feasible fighter, but also an interesting and fun fighter. We already have plenty of great ideas in this thread about that, but we need some kind of platform for sharing it.

As both of us have said, we could use a break. Something like Andy being in the code or Rathalos Tweet 2.0. But is there something we can do to help us get that break?
We spread the lie that Andy was found in a datamine.

If we do it well, Andy’ll have a ton more support by the time people figure out it’s fake.

I’m joking, of course.

SPEN18

Smash Lord

If we do it well, Andy’ll have a ton more support by the time people figure out it’s fake.

I’m joking, of course.
I mean, we could spread Ura's theory of why he could potentially show up in the datamine...but I doubt it'd catch on ;(

DogManStar

Smash Ace
Isaac's AT being missing from Smash 4 created a lot of buzz for the character. With the Advance Wars AT being gone, I think we could use that to our advantage again to make people consider an AW character.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Yeah I just think there's a possibility for that based on the missing AT and Andy missing as a Spirit so far. If there isn't, then we really need to step up our game and think of something to get this series talked about.

I recall there was some discussion based on the Wrench logo in the Smash Invitational this year but it was quickly dismissed as the Custom Icon from Smash 4. We could have something like that but we need something major as well like a datamine. I'm not going to count on it happening but man that would be a huge victory for us.

I've seen a lot of Andy movesets pitched on places like r/smashbros and others. Of course just that alone I think isn't enough though it's great that people are contributing.

I’m joking, of course.
I mean, we could spread Ura's theory of why he could potentially show up in the datamine...but I doubt it'd catch on ;(
Something something Ridley's shadow. :bee:

Ehh, that'll go over like a wet fart lol.
Isaac's AT being missing from Smash 4 created a lot of buzz for the character. With the Advance Wars AT being gone, I think we could use that to our advantage again to make people consider an AW character.
Well back then people weren't as cynical about DLC and had confidence in Isaac being in the game. I think a lot of people that would want to see Advance Wars representation in Smash Bros are disheartened with it's chances which is why they don't talk about it as much. And I can't say I blame them too much.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Thread's been dead for a bit so I thought i'd share this sweet Sami fanart with y'all.

I'm crushing no lie :lol:. I think Sami was every AW player's crush tho lol.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Nah, Sonja's cuter

But lol we need more AW fanart (althought that's been said a lot around here)
Advance Wars is underrated in the waifu department lol.

There's tons of AW fanart and really surprising to see for a franchise that's been out for so long. Always makes me happy when I come across Advance Wars releated fanart and what have you. It's proof that the series left it's mark even in it's long absence.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Say, is the Sami for Smash Ultimate thread still open?
Yeah but it hasn't been bumped for like 3-4 months lol.

Suffice to say, this thread has been a general hub for all things Advance Wars related. Whereas before both the Andy & Sami threads were active.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Yeah but it hasn't been bumped for like 3-4 months lol.

Suffice to say, this thread has been a general hub for all things Advance Wars related. Whereas before both the Andy & Sami threads were active.
Yeah I think we ought to make it like the Isaac thread where people are able to discuss Matthew, Felix, and any other Golden Sun stuff. We can't really afford to split off at this point.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah I think we ought to make it like the Isaac thread where people are able to discuss Matthew, Felix, and any other Golden Sun stuff. We can't really afford to split off at this point.
Which is great. I mean I would like Sami as a Snake Echo Fighter or semi-clone but Andy has to be our main priority in getting in to Smash. Well either Andy or a new Advance Wars protag who i'd see being more likely given that Advance Wars' best chance of representation in Smash is through a new game.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Which is great. I mean I would like Sami as a Snake Echo Fighter or semi-clone but Andy has to be our main priority in getting in to Smash. Well either Andy or a new Advance Wars protag who i'd see being more likely given that Advance Wars' best chance of representation in Smash is through a new game.
Or as part of a Pokémon Trainer style tag team with Andy, Sami, and Max, where you can switch between the three to change the attributes of the units you purchase. They'd never put that much work into an Advance Wars rep...

But yeah, Andy should be the focus right now. He's the main character.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Or as part of a Pokémon Trainer style tag team with Andy, Sami, and Max, where you can switch between the three to change the attributes of the units you purchase. They'd never put that much work into an Advance Wars rep...

But yeah, Andy should be the focus right now. He's the main character.
TBH I never liked moveset ideas that incorporate Andy, Sami, and Max all fighting together or even worse, fighting in one tank. The spotlight needs to be on the main character and the main character alone. Which in this case is Andy or a hypothetical new Advance Wars protag.

Although that creates another hurdle in to getting Smash representation lol. Don't have a new game? Too bad no Smash character for you. Your series is dead? Too bad you can't be revived unless you have Smash Bros exposure.

We've been Catch 22'd in to oblivion lol.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
TBH I never liked moveset ideas that incorporate Andy, Sami, and Max all fighting together or even worse, fighting in one tank. The spotlight needs to be on the main character and the main character alone. Which in this case is Andy or a hypothetical new Advance Wars protag.

Although that creates another hurdle in to getting Smash representation lol. Don't have a new game? Too bad no Smash character for you. Your series is dead? Too bad you can't be revived unless you have Smash Bros exposure.

We've been Catch 22'd in to oblivion lol.
That's fair. TBH I'd rather just have one rep myself as well, though I'd be okay with something like that.

And yeah, I think the idea of "characters from Nintendo's history" needs to expand beyond just "characters from the 80s". The number of people that are nostalgic for the NES is decreasing, and most people who are nostalgic for the early 2000s have reached adulthood.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
That's fair. TBH I'd rather just have one rep myself as well, though I'd be okay with something like that.

And yeah, I think the idea of "characters from Nintendo's history" needs to expand beyond just "characters from the 80s". The number of people that are nostalgic for the NES is decreasing, and most people who are nostalgic for the early 2000s have reached adulthood.
Well the SNES hardly has anything for it aside from K. Rool so it's basically just the NES that Sakurai considers to be "retro". Which is a shame because there's so much from the N64/GCN era that goes ignored by modern Nintendo let alone Sakurai.

And on that note, it's like anything after the NES/SNES era and before the Wii era isn't important to them. Hence the status of Advance Wars, Golden Sun, Custom Robo, Sin & Punishment, and others.

Which is why I thought all the series stood to gain from Isaac's inclusion. It'd bring the attention on these franchises that are sort of in the "weird, in-between period" Nintendo likes to ignore.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Well the SNES hardly has anything for it aside from K. Rool so it's basically just the NES that Sakurai considers to be "retro". Which is a shame because there's so much from the N64/GCN era that goes ignored by modern Nintendo let alone Sakurai.

And on that note, it's like anything after the NES/SNES era and before the Wii era isn't important to them. Hence the status of Advance Wars, Golden Sun, Custom Robo, Sin & Punishment, and others.

Which is why I thought all the series stood to gain from Isaac's inclusion. It'd bring the attention on these franchises that are sort of in the "weird, in-between period" Nintendo likes to ignore.
SNES does have Earthbound, F-Zero, and Star Fox. But yeah, not nearly as much as the NES.

And yeah, Isaac being in the game would have meant so much...for not just himself but his whole series and all these other series in a similar position. He made so much sense to add in this game; I think with a couple more character slots he might have been in. Huge letdown. Sakurai really dropped the ball by adding only one new Nintendo franchise.

In contrast, Incineroar being playable does almost nothing for anybody, except for the small group of people who have him in their top however-many favorite Pokémon. "Relevancy" being the main reason he got in is so laughable because he's gonna be almost completely irrelevant in a year when Gen 8 comes out. Sure, he's a fiery wrestler and people may think he's cool and all, but just being cool isn't enough for me. Plenty of characters are cool. Only a few get into Smash.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
SNES does have Earthbound, F-Zero, and Star Fox. But yeah, not nearly as much as the NES.

And yeah, Isaac being in the game would have meant so much...for not just himself but his whole series and all these other series in a similar position. He made so much sense to add in this game; I think with a couple more character slots he might have been in. Huge letdown. Sakurai really dropped the ball by adding only one new Nintendo franchise.

In contrast, Incineroar being playable does almost nothing for anybody, except for the small group of people who have him in their top however-many favorite Pokémon. "Relevancy" being the main reason he got in is so laughable because he's gonna be almost completely irrelevant in a year when Gen 8 comes out. Sure, he's a fiery wrestler and people may think he's cool and all, but just being cool isn't enough for me. Plenty of characters are cool. Only a few get into Smash.
Oh yeah SNES does have a lot of it's franchises in. I guess you could argue Animal Crossing is technically N64 as well but it's an abnormality in terms of how big it is. And people associate AC with the Gamecube anyways along with Pikmin as we mentioned before.

I mean every Smash has a Pokemon character in it so I wasn't really surprised by Incineroar. I'm digging his wrestler niche in the roster but yeah I would have much preferred someone like Isaac on the roster. That being said I am looking forward to playing as Incineroar once the game comes out.

BTW there was a big theory someone made in the Isaac thread about him possibly being DLC. A lot of it was reaching as you'd expect but there was some interesting points made there that hints at something Golden Sun related in the future. Given that most people here frequent the Isaac thread, i'm pretty sure most of you guys saw it. I'm hoping it's true somehow.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
BTW there was a big theory someone made in the Isaac thread about him possibly being DLC. A lot of it was reaching as you'd expect but there was some interesting points made there that hints at something Golden Sun related in the future. Given that most people here frequent the Isaac thread, i'm pretty sure most of you guys saw it. I'm hoping it's true somehow.
Yeah I've seen that. Tbh I'm not fully on board with most of the arguments made, but I still think the Rathalos pic and early trademark renewal are worth following. Something is definitely up with Golden Sun. And Camelot just finished Mario Tennis; the only other project I could see them doing on Switch is another Mario sports game, but after that? They release a game every one or two years and I think the Switch still has a good number of years left. So there's definitely time for GS to come to the Switch, conspiratorial theories or no. The main question for me is if they have the resources and staff to make a big, high-quality RPG like GS (but as some have suggested, Nintendo could supply help from other companies).

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah I've seen that. Tbh I'm not fully on board with most of the arguments made, but I still think the Rathalos pic and early trademark renewal are worth following. Something is definitely up with Golden Sun. And Camelot just finished Mario Tennis; the only other project I could see them doing on Switch is another Mario sports game, but after that? They release a game every one or two years and I think the Switch still has a good number of years left. So there's definitely time for GS to come to the Switch, conspiratorial theories or no. The main question for me is if they have the resources and staff to make a big, high-quality RPG like GS (but as some have suggested, Nintendo could supply help from other companies).
I think there's a very good chance for a new Golden Sun in 2020. Given how Nintendo's been pushing so many RPG's on that platform, it's only a matter of time before Golden Sun is on there. Which is why I think the Isaac theory that was posted in his thread holds some ground (no pun intended lol).

And yeah I believe in this case Nintendo would supply a lot of resources to Camelot in development for Golden Sun 4. Maybe get some staff from Monilth Soft and other studios to assist development.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think Advance Wars has a much, much better chance of staging a comeback than Golden Sun. If Golden Sun comes back, it’ll be solely on the shoulders of fans being vocal. Advance Wars would just fulfill a niche (but hey, getting vocal can’t hurt).

Though to be fair, Golden Sun would also fulfill a niche. Just one that I don’t think Nintendo cares about (for whatever reason)

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I think Advance Wars has a much, much better chance of staging a comeback than Golden Sun. If Golden Sun comes back, it’ll be solely on the shoulders of fans being vocal. Advance Wars would just fulfill a niche (but hey, getting vocal can’t hurt).

Though to be fair, Golden Sun would also fulfill a niche. Just one that I don’t think Nintendo cares about (for whatever reason)
Well I mean the past decade hasn't really given much hope to that idea, just saying lol. TBH I think the only thing that can bring Advance Wars back short of a new game miraculously being announced is for the fans to be helluva vocal.

With Golden Sun, it has the benefit of returning to a console that's a haven for RPG's. Which, thanks to Isaac's immense popularity as a Smash character the franchise gets a lot of exposure it wouldn't normally have.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well I mean the past decade hasn't really given much hope to that idea, just saying lol. TBH I think the only thing that can bring Advance Wars back short of a new game miraculously being announced is for the fans to be helluva vocal.

With Golden Sun, it has the benefit of returning to a console that's a haven for RPG's. Which, thanks to Isaac's immense popularity as a Smash character the franchise gets a lot of exposure it wouldn't normally have.
A war-themed SRPG with a focus on unit and resource management and a cheery and colorful tone? I dunno, I think Nintendo and IS know what they’ve got. Whereas sadly I can see Nintendo looking at Golden Sun and going ‘Huh, why are people asking for a Fantasy RPG? They got Xenoblade and Fire Emblem! How many more magical waifus do they want?’

(For the record I love all Xenoblade and Fire Emblem, except Fates and Heroes)

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
A war-themed SRPG with a focus on unit and resource management and a cheery and colorful tone? I dunno, I think Nintendo and IS know what they’ve got. Whereas sadly I can see Nintendo looking at Golden Sun and going ‘Huh, why are people asking for a Fantasy RPG? They got Xenoblade and Fire Emblem! How many more magical waifus do they want?’
The other dimension to it is that both AW and GS are not primarily developed internally by Nintendo, but by Intelligent Systems and Camelot respectively (as I'm sure you know). So while Nintendo would have to greenlight a project most likely, if IS and Camelot really wanna make AW and/or GS, idk if Nintendo would say no so long as they already got their fair share of FE and Mario sports titles. There's a lot of debate about this within the GS community, whether it's Nintendo or Camelot or both that's been preventative of making a new GS.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

(For the record I love all Xenoblade and Fire Emblem, except Fates and Heroes)
Advance Wars isn't remotely an RPG. It's strictly a pure-tactics TBS where as Fire Emblem is a SRPG TBS. And Golden Sun's niche lies within a completely different niche than both Fire Emblem and Xenoblade. GS is turn based whereas Xeno is action based and FE strategy based. The closest thing to Golden Sun on the Switch would be Octopath Traveler.

Advance Wars faces a big hurdle in Fire Emblem (which is very unfair mind you given how different the two are) whereas Golden Sun doesn't face that same challenge. Hopefully IS changes their minds on that and releases a new Advance Wars after Three Houses.
The other dimension to it is that both AW and GS are not primarily developed internally by Nintendo, but by Intelligent Systems and Camelot respectively (as I'm sure you know). So while Nintendo would have to greenlight a project most likely, if IS and Camelot really wanna make AW and/or GS, idk if Nintendo would say no so long as they already got their fair share of FE and Mario sports titles. There's a lot of debate about this within the GS community, whether it's Nintendo or Camelot or both that's been preventative of making a new GS.
Yeah in cases like these it's hard to tell whether or not it's a Nintendo call or an Intelligent Systems/Camelot call. I'm not sure who's to blame for these series going out for so long.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Advance Wars isn't remotely an RPG. It's strictly a pure-tactics TBS where as Fire Emblem is a SRPG TBS. And Golden Sun's niche lies within a completely different niche than both Fire Emblem and Xenoblade. GS is turn based whereas Xeno is action based and FE strategy based. The closest thing to Golden Sun on the Switch would be Octopath Traveler.

Advance Wars faces a big hurdle in Fire Emblem (which is very unfair mind you given how different the two are) whereas Golden Sun doesn't face that same challenge. Hopefully IS changes their minds on that and releases a new Advance Wars after Three Houses.

Yeah in cases like these it's hard to tell whether or not it's a Nintendo call or an Intelligent Systems/Camelot call. I'm not sure who's to blame for these series going out for so long.
I guess the distinction for you would be that units don’t level up? For saying AW is not an RPG, I mean.

And I completely agree that GS fulfills a completely different niche than Xenoblade and Fire Emblem do, it’s just that I think Nintendo (and to be fair, the entire gaming industry for around two generations) doesn’t really see the difference between an Action RPG and a turn-based RPG. I guess some people see them as the evolution of the genre rather than a whole new one.

Plus, to the untrained eye, you look at AW and FE and see two completely different games, while if you look at GS and Xeno, you see some similarities (in regards to tone and setting and tropes, obviously not graphics or gameplay or story, heh). I know it sounds like I’m giving way too little credit, but we are speaking about the company that felt that fast Mario Kart was the same as F-Zero and that Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi couldn’t coexist.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
I guess the distinction for you would be that units don’t level up? For saying AW is not an RPG, I mean.

And I completely agree that GS fulfills a completely different niche than Xenoblade and Fire Emblem do, it’s just that I think Nintendo (and to be fair, the entire gaming industry for around two generations) doesn’t really see the difference between an Action RPG and a turn-based RPG. I guess some people see them as the evolution of the genre rather than a whole new one.

Plus, to the untrained eye, you look at AW and FE and see two completely different games, while if you look at GS and Xeno, you see some similarities (in regards to tone and setting and tropes, obviously not graphics or gameplay or story, heh). I know it sounds like I’m giving way too little credit, but we are speaking about the company that felt that fast Mario Kart was the same as F-Zero and that Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi couldn’t coexist.
I agree that your average marketing or business person could totally see GS and Xeno as occupying a similar spot in the market. Or the same for AW and FE.
But again, if Camelot wants to take a break from Mario sports for a bit and they really wanna make another RPG, is Nintendo gonna stop them? We don't know. No matter how similar GS and Xeno are, the fact that GS and Xeno are both externally developed by Camelot and Monolith respectively means that they may (or may not) have slightly more autonomy over what projects they do. Also, Xeno games take quite a bit of time to make, so if GS was a game that could fit in between those release years, perhaps on a significantly lower budget, it could still work even if Nintendo considers them to be essentially the same.

This applies to AW and FE as well. Maybe they give AW a lower budget or wedge it in between major FE releases to make it more feasible and less in competition with another product from the same company.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
So someone in the Smash General thread pointed a huge detail in the Japanese Direct that wasn't included in the English one.

Apparently all 5 DLC characters were characters that couldn't make the base roster.

Do you guys think Andy might have been intended to make the base roster with the Infantry & Tanks in his moveset? Like a psuedo-retro as I mentioned many times before.

I mean it's possible given how jarring the removal of the Infantry & Tanks is and how the AT had perfect attendance before.

Don't want to get everyone's hopes up but I think there's a chance.
WHHHAAAAAAATTTTTTT

This is big news pal. Where did you get this?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Yeah Advance Wars has no RPG elements to it with the exception of Dual Strike's CO Ability system. Completely different from Fire Emblem's RPG mechanics.

Well with the success of Octopath Traveler and Golden Sun never being action based, said comparison is null basically. Anyone who thinks the two are the same really has no idea what they're talking about to be frank. And really, with the amount of RPG's on the Switch it's laughable to think of any imaginary quotas existing for RPG's. The Switch is RPG heaven for fans of the genre.

But yeah, I heard where they said RPG Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi couldn't co-exist. As well as Mario Kart (the newer system as of MK8) along with F-Zero. Certain series have it bad where there exists another that's very fundamentally similar. Advance Wars is really lucky to be fundamentally different enough from Fire Emblem where it's impossible for the latter to cannibalize the former unless it compromised it's identity.
This applies to AW and FE as well. Maybe they give AW a lower budget or wedge it in between major FE releases to make it more feasible and less in competition with another product from the same company.
Lower budget AW doesn't sit right with me. I mean Advance Wars really needs to distinguish itself from FE but hopefully not where the game looks low rent where the devs don't care much about it. Advance Wars needs to comeback and it needs to do so in a huge way. Not to just fiddle with it's thumb.
WHHHAAAAAAATTTTTTT

This is big news pal. Where did you get this?
That was old info put out in the Smash General thread but people were quick to point out these claims were unfounded and baseless. I even watched both the English and Japanese versions of the Direct and couldn't find any differences.

No doubt the DLC characters have been decided on but I would think it would be as recent as this year VS being decided on with the base roster.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Lower budget AW doesn't sit right with me. I mean Advance Wars really needs to distinguish itself from FE but hopefully not where the game looks low rent where the devs don't care much about it. Advance Wars needs to comeback and it needs to do so in a huge way. Not to just fiddle with it's thumb.
I mean, I'll take a lower budget AW over no AW. But yeah, if they're gonna revive the series you'd want it to be in full force, with full conviction. I do think a lower budget AW game could still be good, though. If it sticks mainly to its roots, adds in a few interesting mechanics (like new units, online play, and some of the other things we've mentioned in this thread), and has really solid core gameplay (as we know AW is definitely capable of having) then it should succeed with proper marketing. Of course, a bigger budget would help but if they can get off one really solid game to get the series back on its feet I think it could work out alright. Lots of big money triple A games flop, and some lower budget stuff like Minecraft are commercial successes (oof hate to bring up MC).

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I mean, I'll take a lower budget AW over no AW. But yeah, if they're gonna revive the series you'd want it to be in full force, with full conviction. I do think a lower budget AW game could still be good, though. If it sticks mainly to its roots, adds in a few interesting mechanics (like new units, online play, and some of the other things we've mentioned in this thread), and has really solid core gameplay (as we know AW is definitely capable of having) then it should succeed with proper marketing. Of course, a bigger budget would help but if they can get off one really solid game to get the series back on its feet I think it could work out alright. Lots of big money triple A games flop, and some lower budget stuff like Minecraft are commercial successes (oof hate to bring up MC).
True that. To be honest, even if there were a 3DS game i'd be fine with that. Most people here and on the internet would hate it but i'd just be happy to get anything Advance Wars related in such a huge amount of time.

I'm just saying when the series returns on the Switch for it's big comeback game, it needs to do so in a huge way and be the franchise's "FE Awakening" where it goes from a low-level niche series to one of Nintendo's upper-tier franchises; a bonafide million seller. To that end, it's marketing has to be done well or else it's going to fall to the wayside of it's predecessors. Although having a relatively lower budget game initially might be the gateway to getting much higher quality games in the future.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So someone in the Smash General thread pointed a huge detail in the Japanese Direct that wasn't included in the English one.

Apparently all 5 DLC characters were characters that couldn't make the base roster.

Do you guys think Andy might have been intended to make the base roster with the Infantry & Tanks in his moveset? Like a psuedo-retro as I mentioned many times before.

I mean it's possible given how jarring the removal of the Infantry & Tanks is and how the AT had perfect attendance before.

Don't want to get everyone's hopes up but I think there's a chance.

Not sure if I commented on this before, but this is a significant development. I wonder if this would give legroom to a second fighter pass in the future.

Thread's been dead for a bit so I thought i'd share this sweet Sami fanart with y'all.

I'm crushing no lie :lol:. I think Sami was every AW player's crush tho lol.
Personally, I prefer Nell.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Not sure if I commented on this before, but this is a significant development. I wonder if this would give legroom to a second fighter pass in the future.
But like I said, I couldn't find any info that supports that claim so i'm leaning towards fake. Regardless tho I think with Smash Ultimate breaking new records with it's pre-orders it's likely that we'll see a Season 2 for DLC.
Personally, I prefer Nell.
Sasha best girl yo.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
To be clear, a "lower budget" Advance Wars wouldn't necessarily mean "dirt cheap" Advance Wars.

--

I'm not too sure about Season 2 of DLC. Could depend on what the state of the Switch is after Season 1 is over and of course how well Season 1 sells. It might also be that Sakurai wants to work on another project.
Still, we can't shut the door on the possibility.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
To be clear, a "lower budget" Advance Wars wouldn't necessarily mean "dirt cheap" Advance Wars.

--

I'm not too sure about Season 2 of DLC. Could depend on what the state of the Switch is after Season 1 is over and of course how well Season 1 sells. It might also be that Sakurai wants to work on another project.
Yeah I don't think another season of DLC is a lock but I do think it's pretty likely to happen given how successful this game is. If Sakurai wants to work on another project, then I could see Nintendo having someone else serve as the director for that season.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

--

Yeah. Also, it's likely that he might want to promote his secret project via said DLC. Anything could happen, really.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah. Also, it's likely that he might want to promote his secret project via said DLC. Anything could happen, really.
That would be interesting. Seeing as most DLC characters are used to promote something, it's in the realm of possibility.

*secretly wishes Sakurai's next project is Advance Wars*

Top Bottom