• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orange Star's Hyperactive Whiz Kid! - Andy For Smash Ultimate! We'll Live To Fight Another Day...

Favorite Advance Wars Game (Not Including pre-AW and Battalion Wars)

• Total voters

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
On the subject of people with actual track records, Jeff Grubb recently name dropped Super Mario RPG. Without elaborating any further.

So we may have to keep that in the back of our minds, just in case.
A bunch of insiders have been teasing SMRPG as of late so it's pretty odd lol. Granted, I already expect Geno to most likely be Fighter 7.

As an aside, Grubb is a huge Advance Wars fan which I find very cool.

Maybe once we're closer to the reveal of Advance Wars Mobile, we might get some teases from Grubb about it? That would be pretty cool if he was in the know about it.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
A bunch of insiders have been teasing SMRPG as of late so it's pretty odd lol. Granted, I already expect Geno to most likely be Fighter 7.

As an aside, Grubb is a huge Advance Wars fan which I find very cool.

Maybe once we're closer to the reveal of Advance Wars Mobile, we might get some teases from Grubb about it? That would be pretty cool if he was in the know about it.
More fuel for the Geno fans, huh? Those guys can be something else sometimes...

At least we have another known AW backer, even if he isn't currently saying it's actually coming back.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Say, remember that tank game from the Partner Showcase? Weelllll...

Wanna add that to the list of AW supporters?
That's pretty funny considering I made the joke about a tank'related game being shown off before but it not being Advance Wars. Nice to see a bunch of different studios wanting to see the return of Advance Wars.
Never did formally post here, but support. Would make for a great moveset. Would also be neat if Andy came packed with content from older Wars Games as well, Super Famicom Wars has done great music
Thanks for the support!

I think Andy having at least one track from the Famicom Wars-era of the Wars series is a given. Maybe a medley of sorts of some of the remixes from those games? To showcase the franchise's history and all.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I pledge my support! After digging into him for RTC, I'm interested in Advance Wars (Or Famicom Wars, or Nintendo Wars, or just Wars. Whatever we're calling it now). Plus, I'll need some pointers for designing his moveset in my own Smash project, and this seems like the place for Andy info.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I pledge my support! After digging into him for RTC, I'm interested in Advance Wars (Or Famicom Wars, or Nintendo Wars, or just Wars. Whatever we're calling it now). Plus, I'll need some pointers for designing his moveset in my own Smash project, and this seems like the place for Andy info.
If it helps you any, apparently SSF2 is planning on adding Andy at some point, if you need reference material. We don't know when, though...

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Thanks for the support! If you want ideas for your Andy moveset, feel free to ask around because we all pitched in ideas for our Andy movesets.

And speaking of which, I haven't taken the time to write Andy's moveset in complete detail yet which I should really get to. And by moveset I mean the complete Challenger Pack and how I would present Andy in Smash.
If it helps you any, apparently SSF2 is planning on adding Andy at some point, if you need reference material. We don't know when, though...
Oh yeah, i'm really curious to see what SSF2's take on Andy will be. Granted, I thought their Isaac could have been better but hopefully they get Andy's moveset down to a tee.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Thanks for the support! If you want ideas for your Andy moveset, feel free to ask around because we all pitched in ideas for our Andy movesets.

And speaking of which, I haven't taken the time to write Andy's moveset in complete detail yet which I should really get to. And by moveset I mean the complete Challenger Pack and how I would present Andy in Smash.

Oh yeah, i'm really curious to see what SSF2's take on Andy will be. Granted, I thought their Isaac could have been better but hopefully they get Andy's moveset down to a tee.
Speaking of movesets, anyone here watch a Youtuber named Brawlfan1? He has a series called "What If They Were In Smash?", in which he talks about potential movesets for characters that could be added. He picks the characters based on how many requests they get, so we could try and start now. Though I should mention, in order to make the movesets in question, he has to take the time to play the game(s) that character appears in, so there's no guarantee he'd do it right away (case in point, ever since The Henry Stickmin Collection came out, people have been wanting him to make a moveset for Henry, but he needs time to actually play the game first).

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Speaking of movesets, anyone here watch a Youtuber named Brawlfan1? He has a series called "What If They Were In Smash?", in which he talks about potential movesets for characters that could be added. He picks the characters based on how many requests they get, so we could try and start now. Though I should mention, in order to make the movesets in question, he has to take the time to play the game(s) that character appears in, so there's no guarantee he'd do it right away (case in point, ever since The Henry Stickmin Collection came out, people have been wanting him to make a moveset for Henry, but he needs time to actually play the game first).
That would be pretty cool if he were to make a moveset and all. The more eyeballs on Andy the better lol.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Given what happened with :ultsimon:'s release timing for SSF2, I'm willing to bet that the staff is waiting out the majority of Fighter Pass 2's release windows, just in case Andy isn't in Ultimate and that their portrayal of his moveset doesn't clash with any official take.
Yeah good point. It was really something seeing Simon revealed in Ultimate and then two days later, being revealed for SSF2. I feel we could potentially have a similar situation with Andy if he were in the Pass and then SSF2 reveals Andy in the same year.

Of course, I am curious to see what SSF2's take on Andy would be so i'm low-key hoping they reveal Andy first (if Andy were in this Pass). They could always change the moveset later like they did with Megaman & Pit.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

There's been a sudden spike in Advance Wars discussion on my Twitter. Not that that's a bad thing, mind yoi.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

There's been a sudden spike in Advance Wars discussion on my Twitter. Not that that's a bad thing, mind yoi.
Stealth has always been a big supporter for Advance Wars returning which is really cool.

I mean for that matter, there's a lot of notable people that are big fans of this franchise. Most notably, Reggie & Bill.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I remember about a year ago GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 mentioned something among the lines of a new Advance Wars game set decades in to the future after the Wars World games. He mentioned how it could have fun cameos of old CO's showing up in the story like Andy being the President of Orange Star.

It's funny because I came across this funny mock-up on the Advance Wars sub-reddit that's basically that.

President Andy has my vote, just saying lol.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I remember about a year ago GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 mentioned something among the lines of a new Advance Wars game set decades in to the future after the Wars World games. He mentioned how it could have fun cameos of old CO's showing up in the story like Andy being the President of Orange Star.

It's funny because I came across this funny mock-up on the Advance Wars sub-reddit that's basically that.

President Andy has my vote, just saying lol.
It's good to see when people with artistic talent put ideas that you had to paper.

Reactions: Ura

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It's good to see when people with artistic talent put ideas that you had to paper.
Yeah I had a few fanon ideas before for other series in my head until someone actually did a mock-up of it and it's like "wow that's really neat" lol.

In other news, the guy who did the "What if Advance Wars CO's were Voice Acted" did a follow up for the sequel, Black Hole Rising. Check it out below.

Solid casting choices once again. Low-key wish he would use Clancy Brown as the voice for Hawke (think his Lex Luthor voice) but otherwise it's a really solid line-up. Never thought of Mike Pollock doing the voice for Olaf but it's actually a really good fit. Here's hoping Pollock is contacted to do the voice for Olaf whenever that mobile Advance Wars comes to light.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So most of you probably heard of the news from the Nintendo investor meeting thing or whatever but they re-affirmed something that we talked about here. That being, how their Mobile business (among other things) serves to support their core Switch business.

1600293903143.png

1600294388390.png

This ties in to what I've been talking about for a while now with the Advance Wars Mobile rumor and how this could lead to a Switch game proper. Now, we have confirmation outright that their mobile business is supposed to prop up their Switch business which supports this idea. Given the trademark from Dec 2018 (I explained this before many times in this thread but I would be happy to do so again for anyone interested in particulars), it's safe to say that something Advance Wars is coming next year. So essentially, the two scenarios here are either...

A) Just a Switch entry
B) A mobile entry followed by a Switch entry

And given all the rumors surrounding the franchise, it's safe to say Scenario B is the more likely one.

Suffice to say, we're going to be in luck next year. Mark my words.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah, given their strategy, I wouldn't expect an AW mobile game to be a one and done. If one's in the works, I assume that there are plans to give the series a proper comeback as well.
Oh yeah just think about the amount of Advance Wars games we could be getting in 2021.

• Advance Wars Mobile
  • Advance Wars Switch
  • Advance Wars games on Nintendo Switch Online (hopefully, GBA games make their way in a year's time)

Also if Nintendo went all in with this IP, there could potentially be things like Advance Wars figurines & a Manga for the franchise. Remember the idea I pitched about an Advance Wars anime/manga? Well if this holds up true, that could very well come to light.

That aside, if the three things I mentioned come to light, it would def give Andy a good shot at being in the Fighters Pass if Nintendo were willing to do that for the franchise.

It's funny how the discussion about Advance Wars can so easily shift from "Anyone here remember Advance Wars?" to "Anyone here remember the time when Advance Wars was dead" so quickly. And i'd love every second of that.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Here's a random minor tidbit. Apparently, Dual Strike had a limited edition DS-themed kit made for it.

Yep, I remember reading up on this some years ago. It makes me wonder if Nintendo/IntSys had big plans for this franchise or had higher hopes for the series to have made custom AW-designed DS'. It kinda adds up given the company was really impressed by AW1's performance so much so that a sequel was greenlit almost right after and AW2 did almost as well.

This really reinforces the point that Dual Strike was the critical point for the franchise and it's commercial failure really hurt this franchise. Sure, DoR had a rebound from what Dual Strike did but man the damage was done already. Like I said many times in this thread, bad marketing really hurt Dual Strike really badly.
I cannot see Andy and not think, "Wow, if only the company put him in instead of any one of the FE characters."
Woulda been something.
I def agree but it's like, it's done already and I can only hope for the future. As much of a small chance it might be, i'm keeping hope alive for Andy in this Pass. And if nothing else, Andy being in SSF2 is something to look forward to.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Y'know, Steve's reveal today has given me hope that characters with more complexed moveset designs can make it in as DLC. Considering the work done needed to implement Andy's units and all.

Of course, it's without question that Steve is a bigger deal than Andy which is why the devs would give him more attention but at least there's precedent. Between this and Min-Min, i'd say Andy has a shot for this Pass albeit not a particularly great chance.

EDIT: Here's a tweet from Stealth40K that put it best. An emphasis on unique movesets/mechanics def helps Andy's case given how unique he would be from the entire cast.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
After mulling it over for a few days, I'm now surprisingly more confident in Andy's chances. Marginally, sure, but I think the fact that they seem to be going for more complex additions, moveset and otherwise (they made a Mii Costume with palette swaps!) means I could actually see a moveset like Andy should get making the cut.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
After mulling it over for a few days, I'm now surprisingly more confident in Andy's chances. Marginally, sure, but I think the fact that they seem to be going for more complex additions, moveset and otherwise (they made a Mii Costume with palette swaps!) means I could actually see a moveset like Andy should get making the cut.
Yep. The trend in this Pass with characters with complexed movesets & mechanics made me more hopeful for Andy.

Of course I mentioned before that Steve is a much bigger deal than Andy which would stand to reason why he would get that much development time & focus (in addition to possibly being worked on before 2018 even) but it still paints a good picture for Andy. And hey, Min-Min was given quite some time in development so the same thing could very well happen with Andy too.

Always found it odd that this Pass had a finish date of December 31st, 2021 but if most of the characters are going to be as complexed as Min-Min/Steve, it adds up and like I said before gives Andy a better shot.

Of course for Andy to get in, I feel there has to be a desire from Nintendo internally to give this franchise a big push for it's return and for Sakurai/the dev team to find the moveset/concept interesting enough to want to tackle it. We'll see soon enough but i'm confident that we're going to see the Mobile game get revealed in Feb/Mar 2021 and by proxy, a Switch game in 2021/2022.

If you're wondering why I threw out the Feb/Mar 2021 date, it's because that's when Nintendo is set to reveal their new mobile games as per their mobile partner, DeNA (see my post from a page or two ago). Given the trademark from Dec 2018, this game had go be in development for at least 2 years if not longer.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
This isn't exactly related to Smash, but I saw Advance Wars on this tier list and it made me laugh.

I saw that a few months ago too.

It's a good thing Advance Wars will be rising from the dead soon enough and won't be mentioned in the past tense anymore. :)

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Well, this is quickly becoming my "thing", but here's another "Obscure Nintendo Character" post:

For what it's worth, I saw one quote retweet saying they would get into Advance Wars because of her, and another saying she made them uncomfortable. The duality of man, am I right?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So I know it's kinda dumb to pay too much attention to the Spirit events and all that jazz but I noticed the surprising omission of the Tank & Infantry spirit in the latest event focused on guns & cannons.

I know we're not supposed to over analyze these events but it comes as interesting to me seeing as Olaf wasn't involved in the Blue Spirit event this past Summer and the lack of any AW spirit involved in any 2020 events (some that would have perfectly fit the theme).

It should be noted that there was no ARMS spirit involved in any event post-April 2019 when it was likely decided around the Summer last year that Min-Min/ARMS would be included the 2nd Fighters Pass. So yeah, take it for what it's worth even if nothing comes out of it.
Well, this is quickly becoming my "thing", but here's another "Obscure Nintendo Character" post:

For what it's worth, I saw one quote retweet saying they would get into Advance Wars because of her, and another saying she made them uncomfortable. The duality of man, am I right?
I mean to be fair, Kindle does come across that way in my Dual Strike playthroughs so I get that lol. Although Lash takes the cake for being the psycho crazy of this franchise easily.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So this is not related to any news or anything but someone sent a letter to Nintendo of America regarding Advance Wars and this is what the Customer Service Representative had to say. Of course, it doesn't mean anything for or against a new Advance Wars happening but I thought this was pretty cool and I wanted to share this with all of you.

I always love these types of fan letters and that people would actually write in to Nintendo for a series they like. Maybe we should take a page from Operation Sunrise and flood NoA's mailbox with Advance Wars fan mail? :confused::demon:

Last edited:

Max Hamm

Smash Rookie
Hello Andy fans. I haven't commented on this thread before, but I really want to see Andy and Advance Wars in general get into Smash. Here's a mockup I did for what Andy's moveset could be.

I also made a video to go alongside it, where I go a bit more in depth, but it's obscenely long, so I don't blame you if you don't have time to see it. Here's a link if you're interested. Let me know what you think.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hello Andy fans. I haven't commented on this thread before, but I really want to see Andy and Advance Wars in general get into Smash. Here's a mockup I did for what Andy's moveset could be.

I also made a video to go alongside it, where I go a bit more in depth, but it's obscenely long, so I don't blame you if you don't have time to see it. Here's a link if you're interested. Let me know what you think.
Dang this is hella good

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

First thing is first before I get in to the moveset. This is an amazing design with the way everything laid out and how you actually drew out all the animations and such. I'm really happy given there's not much of that for our boy on our web so thank you. I also hope you don't mind that I have the FInal Smash animation as my avi now lol.

As for the moveset, I think it's great and doesn't rely on too many gimmicks as SPEN18 SPEN18 said. I just would have more units incorporated in to the moveset. i.e. Instead of Andy having all wrench attacks for his melee attacks, I would mix it up like having a Tank Side Smash for that sudden, quick knockout move Andy could have as a mix-up and even an Anti-Air Up Smash that deals heavy damage to airbound foes. Love the touch of Andy having an APC as his dash attack, maybe his dash attack could cycle from an APC to a Recon? Food for thought. My idea for an Andy Final Smash was to have either a full on Air Assault or for Andy to call in Max with a big ass Megatank and goes trigger happy on fools. Your idea is still good and all but my personal preference would be a quick and effective Final Smash seeing as so many characters on the roster have cinematic Final Smashes and they kind of get repetitive lol.

If there's one major gripe I have with this concept is that Andy is missing his signature Peace Sign taunt which is sacrilege in my book lol. It's his most iconic pose from Advance Wars and all so I would not omit it. One other taunt I would have is Andy pulling out a GBA and playing Advance Wars. I think it would be a neat "breaking the 4th wall" kind of deal which i'm a sucker for.

Again, amazing concept art and moveset and it's really cool that you took the time to craft this all. I know i've said this a million times and all but I need to get my own Andy Challenger Pack concept out and all. My idea for Andy's moveset is a Fund-based system where Andy purchases units and is able to fix them (a bit different from your concept but the premise is the same). I'll def share with you once I finally get around that haha.

Last edited:

Max Hamm

Smash Rookie
First thing is first before I get in to the moveset. This is an amazing design with the way everything laid out and how you actually drew out all the animations and such. I'mreally happy given there's not much of that for our boy on our web so thank you. I also hope you don't mind that I have the FInal Smash animation as my avi now lol.

As for the moveset, I think it's great and doesn't rely on too many gimmicks as SPEN18 SPEN18 said. I just would have more units incorporated in to the moveset. i.e. Instead of Andy having all wrench attacks for his melee attacks, I would mix it up like having a Tank Side Smash for that sudden, quick knockout move Andy could have as a mix-up and even an Anti-Air Up Smash that deals heavy damage to airbound foes. Love the touch of Andy having an APC as his dash attack, maybe his dash attack could cycle from an APC to a Recon? Food for thought. My idea for an Andy Final Smash was to have either a full on Air Assault or for Andy to call in Max with a big ass Megatank and goes trigger happy on fools. Your idea is still good and all but my personal preference would be a quick and effective Final Smash seeing as so many characters on the roster have cinematic Final Smash and they kind of get repetitive lol.

If there's one major gripe I have with this concept is that Andy is missing his signature Peace Sign taunt which is sacrilege in my book lol. It's his most iconic pose from Advance Wars and all so I would not omit it. One other taunt I would have is Andy pulling out a GBA and playing Advance Wars. I think it would be a neat "breaking the 4th wall" kind of deal which i'm a sucker for.

Again, amazing concept art and moveset and it's really cool that you took the time to craft this all. I know i've said this a million times and all but I need to get my own Andy Challenger Pack concept out and all. My idea for Andy's moveset is a Fund-based system where Andy purchases units and is able to fix them (a bit different from your concept but the premise is the same). I'll def share with you once I finally get around that haha.

Thanks so much.

You're right about the peace sign taunt. Definitely a dropped ball on my part. I'd probably swap out either the binoculars or salute for that. Also totally get the cutscene final smash fatigue, especially seeing as every character after Piranha Plant has had one. I think one of the great things about Advance Wars is that because it's about literal armies and war machines there's so so many options for a final smash and so many directions you could take.

As for the avi, I'm super flattered. Feel free to use any of this stuff as you see fit.

Fund based repairs for a moveset makes a lot of sense and sounds really cool. Definitely interested to see where you'd go with that.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Thanks so much.

You're right about the peace sign taunt. Definitely a dropped ball on my part. I'd probably swap out either the binoculars or salute for that. Also totally get the cutscene final smash fatigue, especially seeing as every character after Piranha Plant has had one. I think one of the great things about Advance Wars is that because it's about literal armies and war machines there's so so many options for a final smash and so many directions you could take.

As for the avi, I'm super flattered. Feel free to use any of this stuff as you see fit.

Fund based repairs for a moveset makes a lot of sense and sounds really cool. Definitely interested to see where you'd go with that.
Thanks! I'll definitely try to get it out by this weekend. I feel inspired after reading your concept lol.

If you don't mind, maybe you can do some artwork for the moveset I have in mind? That would be double awesome because it's better to see what I have visualized in my mind VS just a text description. If you have the time of course haha.

Regardless, i'm getting out my Challenger Pack concept done within 48 hours. That's a promise. No more procrastination **** lol.

Max Hamm

Smash Rookie
Thanks! I'll definitely try to get it out by this weekend. I feel inspired after reading your concept lol.

If you don't mind, maybe you can do some artwork for the moveset I have in mind? That would be double awesome because it's better to see what I have visualized in my mind VS just a text description. If you have the time of course haha.

Regardless, i'm getting out my Challenger Pack concept done within 48 hours. That's a promise. No more procrastination **** lol.

I don't have that much free time, but individual Andy poses don't take that long to make. If there's 3-4 key moves/poses that you think would sell the idea of your moveset, I could find time to draw those up. You're the first person to ask for something like this, so I'll try to find time to help out.

Top Bottom