• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orange Star's Hyperactive Whiz Kid! - Andy For Smash Ultimate! We'll Live To Fight Another Day...

Favorite Advance Wars Game (Not Including pre-AW and Battalion Wars)

• Total voters

Sunredo

Smash Apprentice
So a character that was previously an ace-level spirit just got in as a fighter huh?

Vegito Smirk.gif

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So a character that was previously an ace-level spirit just got in as a fighter huh?

View attachment 275631
"Spirits Deconfirm" just got sent to the Shadow Realm today and I couldn't be any happier. :)

Of course, there's still the debate on whether Assist Trophies/Mii Costumes deconfirm but who cares honestly. All Advance Wars had in the base game was 4 Spirits so there's so much content the franchise could bring in it's own Challenger Pack. AW losing it's AT doesn't seem so bad in hindsight lol.

Really hoping our boy comes clutch in this pass. I don't think he's a frontrunner or anything but things are looking less hopeless for us. Maybe one of the later characters like Fighter 9, 10, or 11.

Also, love the DBZ Gif. It works so well here ironically enough lmao.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well, this seems to throw a wrench in those mobile AW speculations: https://comicbook.com/gaming/amp/ne...-from-mobile-games/?__twitter_impression=true
I spoke about this earlier but I guess i'll just post what I said in the previous page.
I wouldn't worry too much TBH. I just see this as a move in response to the Switch performing as well as it did and the likes of AC doing much better on console than it did mobile. Maybe going forward, Mobile will be less of an incentive for Nintendo but it's still a major revenue stream for the company. I don't see them leaving it anytime soon.

And besides, clearly there's more titles coming in the future as stated by Mr. Toto as well as Nintendo's statement from a month & a half ago. Also keep in mind that the selection for for FP2 was locked in before 2020 even started so I don't see this being a big detriment to Andy's chances. If he's not in, it'll likely not have much to do with this.
Also, one interesting tidbit I saw on that article is from Nintendo's mobile partner, DeNA with them basically saying not to expect any new titles revealed until "near the end" of the fiscial year. That lines up pretty well with what I thought beforehand with whatever new mobile game not being revealed until early-2021. More than likely, they'll want a really short reveal-release window especially for a franchise like AW that can't dip from the public eye too quickly.

So a likely scenario in this case would be AW Mobile being revealed in the late-Jan investor conference in 2021 and then releasing in Feb/Mar that year. Quick turnover between it's reveal and it's release. Get everyone hyped about the return of the franchise and have it buzzing on the internet for some weeks and then launch it to widespread interest. At least that's how I think it should go down to ensure it's success.
Basically, we don't need to worry too much. Nintendo not focusing as much on the mobile market isn't as much of a detriment because it's still a major revenue source for them. Also, keep in mind that Nintendo literally just said in their May conference that they intend to announce new mobile titles in the future. One of their partners has more or less confirmed we could be seeing those titles near the end of this fiscial year which is why I think late-Jan makes sense for thr announcement.

Also, keep in mind that whatever project that's been in development had to have been worked on for years now given the trademark back in Dec 2018. In regards to Smash timing, I can't see this being that much of a detriment given the pass was a done deal before 2020 began as I mentioned. Andy's chances of being in Smash aren't really effected that much in light of this. As I said before, if he's not in, it most likely has nothing to do with this.

Worst case scenario, Nintendo nixes their mobile aspirations with this game and reworks it on the Switch. I can't see them investing in a franchise gone for 12 & a half years and getting cold feet because Mobile isn't giving them the returns their looking for.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Well, apparently it's the anniversary of one of the AW games. Plus, this guy brings up a good point:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well, apparently it's the anniversary of one of the AW games. Plus, this guy brings up a good point:

Yeah. The 15th anniversary of Dual Strike already. Time goes by really quickly eh? And on that topic, next year in September will mark the 20th anniversary of Advance Wars releasing in the West. To put that in perspective, AW with it's first Western release only is older than Ice Climber was when it got in Melee. Thats really something to think about.

I agree with Stealth's sentiment. We're seeing so many franchises absent for decades make their returns in recent times. It's not too much of a stretch to think Advance Wars also can't return especially in light of the trademark & mobile rumors. All we gotta do is be patient and wait for things to play out.

hopefully

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...e_lists_multiple_new_skus_for_nintendo_switch

So, 4 new SKUs popped out of nowhere. To me it feels like the likelihood of a Direct on the 20th is all the more stronger.
Interesting stuff indeed. And with all the hooplah about the Direct on the 20th, we can safely assume this rumor is 99% true. It's going to be interesting because this is essentially the replacement for their E3 Direct so it outta be significant.

That being said of course, what are your expectations and hopes going in to this Direct? It's very likely we hear about those Wii U ports and the 3D Mario HD Remasters but I also expect another gameplay trailer of BoTW2. The 2D Metroid rumor has too much going for it to not be real IMO and I think Donkey Kong is due for a new game sooner rather than later (hoping for a 3D game personally). There's also the rumor of Golden Sun getting a remaster of the GBA games which i'm REALLY hoping comes true (some people within NoA have heard about it IIRC). This would also give the AW Mobile rumors more credibility if it's shown that Nintendo is bringing back dead franchises from the DS era.

I don't expect much on the third party front though given Nintendo told it's partners not to send them material and reveal stuff on their own.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Interesting stuff indeed. And with all the hooplah about the Direct on the 20th, we can safely assume this rumor is 99% true. It's going to be interesting because this is essentially the replacement for their E3 Direct so it outta be significant.

That being said of course, what are your expectations and hopes going in to this Direct? It's very likely we hear about those Wii U ports and the 3D Mario HD Remasters but I also expect another gameplay trailer of BoTW2. The 2D Metroid rumor has too much going for it to not be real IMO and I think Donkey Kong is due for a new game sooner rather than later (hoping for a 3D game personally). There's also the rumor of Golden Sun getting a remaster of the GBA games which i'm REALLY hoping comes true (some people within NoA have heard about it IIRC). This would also give the AW Mobile rumors more credibility if it's shown that Nintendo is bringing back dead franchises from the DS era.

I don't expect much on the third party front though given Nintendo told it's partners not to send them material and reveal stuff on their own.
I'm definitely expecting those Mario remasters and 3D World, those have been long overdue, especially seeing as it's Mario's 35th. Pikmin 3, on a lesser note. Metroid Prime Trilogy? Eh, maybe, assuming that one's not bigfoot.

We might hear about the next Smash character or so, seeing as March was allegedly going to be when Min Min made her entrance.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'm definitely expecting those Mario remasters and 3D World, those have been long overdue, especially seeing as it's Mario's 35th. Pikmin 3, on a lesser note. Metroid Prime Trilogy? Eh, maybe, assuming that one's not bigfoot.

We might hear about the next Smash character or so, seeing as March was allegedly going to be when Min Min made her entrance.
Agree on those games aside from the Prime Trilogy. I think Prime Trilogy will release about a year or year and a half before Prime 4 drops on the Switch IMO.

I don't think Min-Min would have dropped in March. More than likely, I think the character might have been revealed in March and MAYBE release in April/May. I don't think the timetable deviated too much really. Although even with that said, I think the Pass will make it's expecting end date of Dec 2021 still.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Agree on those games aside from the Prime Trilogy. I think Prime Trilogy will release about a year or year and a half before Prime 4 drops on the Switch IMO.

I don't think Min-Min would have dropped in March. More than likely, I think the character might have been revealed in March and MAYBE release in April/May. I don't think the timetable deviated too much really. Although even with that said, I think the Pass will make it's expecting end date of Dec 2021 still.
That's what I was saying, Min Min would have been revealed in March. Looks like I'm unnecessarily vague again...:facepalm:

At any rate, I'm certain that the pass will be done before its placeholder date. By a month in advance, at most.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
That's what I was saying, Min Min would have been revealed in March. Looks like I'm unnecessarily vague again...:facepalm:

At any rate, I'm certain that the pass will be done before its placeholder date. By a month in advance, at most.
Haha no worries! I was just a bit confused is all. I also believe the Pass will wrap up nicely around Fall 2021 irrespective of COVID-19.

Andy's best bet for being playable, as I mentioned before are for the Fighter 9, 10, or 11 spot pending the AW Mobile rumors being legit.

And speaking of that topic, it would seem all the hooplah about Nintendo abandoning their mobile business was overblown.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/07/nintendos_mobile_business_is_here_to_stay

Basically, Nintendo's president reaffirmed their commitment to the mobile space and talked about how it's integral for their Switch business (by increasing the amount of people that would come in to contact with their IP). In light of that, it's safe to say that should these rumors end up true, a Switch game is almost inevitable for AW or even developed alongside the mobile title.

A shame we're going to have to wait until Q1 2021 to hear about their mobile announcements since that's when they're planning to reveal their new mobile titles (as per their mobile partner, DeNA).

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I don't know if Battalion Wars qualifies for this hypothetical AW Mobile game, but considering FEH added TMS characters eventually, I thought I'd bring up the possibility. Plus, it gave me an excuse to show another post from that Obscure Nintendo Characters Twitter account.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I don't know if Battalion Wars qualifies for this hypothetical AW Mobile game, but considering FEH added TMS characters eventually, I thought I'd bring up the possibility. Plus, it gave me an excuse to show another post from that Obscure Nintendo Characters Twitter account.

Battalion Wars absoutely qualifies as part of the Wars series. As for it's chances in appearing in whatever Mobile game, it's pretty slim just based on the fact that it's Western developed and IntSys might not want to reference it in their game. That being said, i'd be down to see those BW CO's appearing and having their own custom powers and skills in a turn-based setting.

So this is the worst kept secret but we're very likely going to get a Direct tomorrow. What are you guys hoping to see and expecting? Personally, i'm hoping we get at least one dead franchise revealed whether that's F-Zero or Golden Sun. It would certainly boost the "morale" for Advance Wars returning among most people who see it as a longshot.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yeah, same, I'm in it to learn more about Switch stuff - announced and new - and especially to see if either F-Zero or GS gets something.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
If the Direct is tomorrow morning, then I probably won't be able to watch it live.
And if it's shadow-dropped, I won't be able to save a link in advance and will almost surely get spoiled on something before I see it.

But regardless, I think it can be a good show. There's a chance that they just show the Mario 35th stuff and little else, but more than likely there will be at least one or two things that people didn't expect to see. I don't really have a lot of specific expectations, but the thought of getting an old franchise or two back is pretty intriguing!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
life is suffering

this may or may not be related to the announcement we just got

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Um... apparently Ura Ura has something they want to say about blue Spirits. I was gonna make a joke about summoning them, but I can't quite think of a good one, so I'll just mention them.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Hey all. Just wanted to point out that this week's Spirit event is kinda interesting in that it's an "ice" themed spirit event and yet Olaf is completely missing (or at least as far as we know).

It might not mean much to some and I get it but I just wanted to point out the fact that AW characters were used a lot during Fighters Pass 1 Spirit Events. The Infantry & Tanks were used in the vehicular one, Eagle spirit was used in the capes one, Olaf's was used in the old timers spirit event, and Andy's was used in the shorts event.

So while it's not strong evidence to support Andy being in this Fighters Pass, it is interesting to note nevertheless. Of course, we might find out on Friday that Olaf's spirit is indeed apart of this event and I look silly writing this so yeah lol.

EDIT: This is actually a blue Spirt Event lmao! I'll take the L on this one. Still strange for Olaf to not be apart of it because he still qualifies.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Id trade any Fire Emblem for Andy... a new series is almost always worth it.
Gosh darn it.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Meh, there is no rhyme or reason to filler spirit events, they're just filler. Heck, they left :ultsonic: out for no reason.
Hah, you're probably right. I'm most likely looking farther in to this than I should be. I just thought i'd point it out given AW Spirits have always been apart of Spirit events that fit the theme. But yeah, it's probably nothing and my analysis is wack lol.
Id trade any Fire Emblem for Andy... a new series is almost always worth it.
Gosh darn it.
I def get the sentiment but i'd rather not lament on what's happened in the past too much. I mean, we have evidence from the trademark back in 2018 as well as a few insider rumblings that a Mobile title is likely happening. With that in mind along with the inclusion of Min-Min, I feel as if Andy could have a chance for the pass. A small one but but a better chance than before nevertheless.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Hah, you're probably right. I'm most likely looking farther in to this than I should be. I just thought i'd point it out given AW Spirits have always been apart of Spirit events that fit the theme. But yeah, it's probably nothing and my analysis is wack lol.

I def get the sentiment but i'd rather not lament on what's happened in the past too much. I mean, we have evidence from the trademark back in 2018 as well as a few insider rumblings that a Mobile title is likely happening. With that in mind along with the inclusion of Min-Min, I feel as if Andy could have a chance for the pass. A small one but but a better chance than before nevertheless.
This is true- I just don't understand the sentiment from Intelligent Systems, who create both series, to so prominently push one and not at all the other.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
This is true- I just don't understand the sentiment from Intelligent Systems, who create both series, to so prominently push one and not at all the other.
They don't have unlimited resources. They couldn't even make Three Houses by themselves, having Koei Tecmo co-develop the game.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So depending on whether or not McLeodGaming is doing their annual triple reveal thing in August, we are potentially 7-9 days away from Andy's reveal in SSF2. That's right, single digit days my dudes. Keep you eyes peeled in the coming week to any news from McLeodGaming.
They don't have unlimited resources. They couldn't even make Three Houses by themselves, having Koei Tecmo co-develop the game.
Like Guynamednelson said, resources aren't unlimited and it's very clear that FE is the number one priority for IntSys. It pretty much replaced Paper Mario as the studio's money-making franchise they can rely on. There's also the fact that the cost of making games has increased a ton since the days of the Wii/DS era so there's also that to take in to account.

With that being said, I def agree that there is space for AW to exist in the market. It was a shame that we went the entire 3DS gen without an entry but this series is poised to do very well on the Switch if Wargroove, an indie-inspired title did as well as it did.

I think, given the rumors and trademark that the plan is to re-introduce the franchise on Mobile so the franchise has a lot more eyeballs on it and it gets widespread exposure. All of that would naturally be the setup for a Switch game proper and to elevate the series farther than it's ever been. Conjecture on my part, maybe but it's very easy to see that being the case.

Also, I really do believe that there's space for Advance Wars to exist in the same market as Fire Emblem. We seen a lot of different cases where a studio has two different series in the same genre and maintains them both. I.e. Final Fantasy & Dragon Quest, Persona & Shin Megami Tensai, Mortal Kombat & Injustice. It's not unthinkable IntSys can do the same. I think having more succesful franchises under their belt would really diversify their "portfolio" so to speak.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
What exactly does this have to do with my question?

So depending on whether or not McLeodGaming is doing their annual triple reveal thing in August, we are potentially 7-9 days away from Andy's reveal in SSF2. That's right, single digit days my dudes. Keep you eyes peeled in the coming week to any news from McLeodGaming.

Like Guynamednelson said, resources aren't unlimited and it's very clear that FE is the number one priority for IntSys. It pretty much replaced Paper Mario as the studio's money-making franchise they can rely on. There's also the fact that the cost of making games has increased a ton since the days of the Wii/DS era so there's also that to take in to account.

With that being said, I def agree that there is space for AW to exist in the market. It was a shame that we went the entire 3DS gen without an entry but this series is poised to do very well on the Switch if Wargroove, an indie-inspired title did as well as it did.

I think, given the rumors and trademark that the plan is to re-introduce the franchise on Mobile so the franchise has a lot more eyeballs on it and it gets widespread exposure. All of that would naturally be the setup for a Switch game proper and to elevate the series farther than it's ever been. Conjecture on my part, maybe but it's very easy to see that being the case.

Also, I really do believe that there's space for Advance Wars to exist in the same market as Fire Emblem. We seen a lot of different cases where a studio has two different series in the same genre and maintains them both. I.e. Final Fantasy & Dragon Quest, Persona & Shin Megami Tensai, Mortal Kombat & Injustice. It's not unthinkable IntSys can do the same. I think having more succesful franchises under their belt would really diversify their "portfolio" so to speak.
I'm not an expert on either game... but do they even play that similarly?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'm not an expert on either game... but do they even play that similarly?
The similarities are superficial really. Aside from both being turn-based strategy games, they feel and play a lot different. FE has the medieval, fantasy RPG thing going for it while Advance Wars is all about that sweet metal vibe and crushing foes through superior planning. Plus, there's a big multiplayer component to the Wars series that sets itself apart and could be a big selling point for a new entry.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Didn't realize this but the 32nd anniversary of Famicom Wars is coming up soon. While I don't expect much from Nintendo & IntSys given they did nothing for the 30th anniversary, it'd be really nice if they put up a tweet or something to acknowledge the series.
we
need
switch
wars
now
BRB, i'm on the phone with IntSys and they're telling me that they're making a new AW on the Switch because of this post.

i wish

But I def get the sentiment lol. If nothing else, I fully believe whatever Mobile game that's likely coming out next year will serve as a lead in to a Switch game proper. Like, maybe the Mobile game comes out early next year and we get a Switch game sometime in 2022. I expect IntSys to release an FE remake next year but after that, I think it's very plausible that we get Advance Wars on the Switch finally. We just got to wait and see.
So, Wargroove has finally gotten crossplay on the PS4.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/202..._on_ps4_with_the_launch_of_double_trouble_dlc

It's a wonder that Sony got a change of heart about it.
Sony finally playing nice eh? About time haha.

Speaking of which, I should really get back in to Wargroove. Granted, I have a ton of games on my backlog but I want to really try and complete the game fully along with the bonus content that came out.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So McLeodGaming just posted this statement on their website in regards to the cancellation of Smash Con. There won't be any alternative plans for the event and McLeodGaming won't be streaming anything either. They did mention to stay tuned so maybe like, they're going to shadow drop the reveal trailers for whatever new characters? If not, we could be waiting some time before Andy is officially revealed.
I love how the Brawl in the Family comic has sort of given Andy this perception of being an egotistical, jerkass without any regard for his troops when Andy in Advance Wars Canon is anything but. It's kinda like the Killager meme when they sort of made Villager in to this psychopathic killer which is anything but Villager lmao.

Of course, Rivals from Advance Wars 1 doesn't help this perception at all when Andy & Eagle have a play war just to see who's better at war. I mean, the mission was bad enough with the difficulty but then they added that as well. There's a reason why it's not remembered fondly by people who have played this game lol.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Ura Ura wanted to talk about voice acting in AW, so I'm bumping the thread, though I think they updated the rules about double-posting.

Reactions: Ura

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Thanks for posting! I wanted to share this video I came across that's basically showing how Advance Wars characters would sound if they were voice-acted. Given that we discussed this topic before in this thread, I figured it would be cool to share this with you all.

I think most casting choices here are great sans Nell & Olaf. Of course, getting these VA's would be really expensive and I don't think Nintendo would pay that kind of money TBH. Still, it would be great to have these VA's featured in the rumored mobile Advance Wars game as unlikely as it is.

What do you guys think and also, who would you cast personally?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Andy's being rated on RTC! This is a good chance to spread the Advance Wars love outside this thread, so I hope everyone participates.
I just posted a write up basically. I know the common thought process for most is "Advance Wars is dead FE killed it" so I hope it convinces some people that the franchise has a good chance of returning.

I just can't wait for the Golden Sun Remaster to be announced so people would stop being so pessimistic about the prospects of Advance Wars.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So coming out of this Mario Direct, we pretty much have confirmation that the trademarks Nintendo files actually do mean something. The Mario trademarks they applied for, particularly the Mario Sunshine (filed Jan 2020) & Mario Galaxy (filed Oct 2018) were for the Mario 3D All Star collection. Additionally, it came to my attention that the NES franchises that were trademarked also meant something with the Arcade Archives (a separate retail release that requires a new trademark).

All the more reason to believe the Advance Wars trademark means something and that we're going to be in luck sooner rather than later. I expect bright things for this franchise next year.
I know that you folks aren't particularly fond of this insider, but what she/they/whatever say here could line up with what you've been expecting about Advance Wars for months.

https://twitter.com/HotGirlVideos69/status/1302084341200302080
Honestly, I feel that leaker is more or less in the same category as Markomaro. People who will have a few lucky guesses but otherwise don't know much, are in it for attention. I'd rather we not pay attention to these types personally.

That being said, a lot of dead franchises are poised to make big comebacks so we have that to look forward to.

Last edited:
Top Bottom