• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orange Star's Hyperactive Whiz Kid! - Andy For Smash Ultimate! We'll Live To Fight Another Day...

Favorite Advance Wars Game (Not Including pre-AW and Battalion Wars)

• Total voters

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
That sounds pretty shady to me IMO. I mean doing a Kickstarter and then being all like "SIKE this was going to happen anyways!". I just hope that KS money goes to good use.

Anyways, how are we all feeling about a Direct this week or next week? I think there's a chance but honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if we're waiting until April or even E3 for that at this point.
At this point, the sooner the better. I think I've officially developed "Direct Withdrawl Syndrome".

Though on the bright side, the chances of Fighter 6 being at least teased is more likely now, given its been about a month or so since Byleth's release.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That sounds pretty shady to me IMO. I mean doing a Kickstarter and then being all like "SIKE this was going to happen anyways!". I just hope that KS money goes to good use.

Anyways, how are we all feeling about a Direct this week or next week? I think there's a chance but honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if we're waiting until April or even E3 for that at this point.
It's Kamiya, to him being a rude troll is like breathing air. Few game devs can do something bold and anarchic and get away with that.

But yeah, first half of this year is looking dead so far. At least we got the FF7 remake demo out, and Animal Crossing will keep people busy taking care of their island resorts for a while. If it happens, it happens, if not, I still got CTR Nitro-Fueled waiting for me (not to mention that it gets updates every month).

Only Direct I'm expecting right now is the mid-month Nindies one that was rumored a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
At this point, the sooner the better. I think I've officially developed "Direct Withdrawl Syndrome".

Though on the bright side, the chances of Fighter 6 being at least teased is more likely now, given its been about a month or so since Byleth's release.
Yeah, those are my thoughts exactly. The chances for Fighter 6's reveal go way up and if we're waiting til' April, then there's a chance we might actually get a gameplay trailer.
It's Kamiya, to him being a rude troll is like breathing air. Few game devs can do something bold and anarchic and get away with that.

But yeah, first half of this year is looking dead so far. At least we got the FF7 remake demo out, and Animal Crossing will keep people busy taking care of their island resorts for a while. If it happens, it happens, if not, I still got CTR Nitro-Fueled waiting for me (not to mention that it gets updates every month).

Only Direct I'm expecting right now is the mid-month Nindies one that was rumored a few weeks ago.
Ehh, still doesn't pass IMO. I just don't like anyone doing that.

Can't say there's much that peaked my interest but I guess I have a huge backlog I can go through. And TBH, i'm not antsy about Directs like I was in the past. If we're waiting til' E3 for news then it's like okay sure lol. Though more likely than not, we get a Direct by April I feel.

I guess the only reason why I would be keen on having a Direct sooner or later is to see if the rumor mill was right. Especially the rumors of remakes for Golden Sun, Wario Land, and Earthbound. Even if we only got one of them in the next Direct, my confidence for Advance Wars Mobile would go over the roof.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'm currently way too swamped in new games to care about a Direct, Ring Fit, Mario Maker 2 and Animal Crossing (when it comes out) will probably keep me entertained for a long time and college starts in a week. But honestly, it's ridiculous to be going this far into the year while still knowing nothing about Nintendo's offerings. So I'll always say that a Direct has to happen soon, but Nintendo can be pretty stupid so if it doesn't happen I'm not gonna be surprised.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
There's probably a reason for being so quiet this time around. It's not just them, I've noticed that game devs besides Nintendo overall are being super-secretive right now this year, for some reason. Hell, Yacht Club went as far as blurring development footage in their presentation, just so no one knows about their upcoming projects besides that Shovel Knight puzzler thing, and the rest of the runtime was dedicated to trivia for their games.

I haven't the foggiest clue what is going on. Game industry right now be like

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
There's probably a reason for being so quiet this time around. It's not just them, I've noticed that game devs besides Nintendo overall are being super-secretive right now this year, for some reason. Hell, Yacht Club went as far as blurring development footage in their presentation, just so no one knows about their upcoming projects besides that Shovel Knight puzzler thing, and the rest of the runtime was dedicated to trivia for their games.

For other devs it makes sense, there's two new console launches at the end of the year and so they can't really be revealing stuff for those too far in advance (especially Japanese devs and those aligned with Sony, as the PS5 hasn't even been formally unveiled yet). But Nintendo, basically the only company whose plans aren't in anyway tied to the new consoles, has no reason to be as quiet, unless they've lied about there not being a Switch Pro this year or something.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
For other devs it makes sense, there's two new console launches at the end of the year and so they can't really be revealing stuff for those too far in advance (especially Japanese devs and those aligned with Sony, as the PS5 hasn't even been formally unveiled yet). But Nintendo, basically the only company whose plans aren't in anyway tied to the new consoles, has no reason to be as quiet, unless they've lied about there not being a Switch Pro this year or something.
I'm talking more of devs overall, not just the console makers. Other examples:

- 30th anniversary of WayForward, yet still no peep about when in Spring that Shantae and the Seven Sirens is supposed to come out
- Still no news about the next Crash Bandicoot game, with the existence of a standalone mobile game leak puzzling people, and Activision hasn't even shown any teases for the VGAs last year
- PlatinumGames having shown so little details over Bayonetta 3 beyond "it's coming", to the point they have to reassure their fans it's not cancelled

For Nintendo, they probably are getting finishing touches for their upcoming games ready. Which is fair, considering what happened with Metroid Prime 4. Also, the obligatory "Fighter Pass reveals will start at E3" supposition. Finally, they've been aggressive with leakers lately.

It's so quiet right now that the silence is deafening. It seems to me like the majority of devs want this year's E3 to be memorable and are preparing for it.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'm talking more of devs overall, not just the console makers. Other examples:

- 30th anniversary of WayForward, yet still no peep about when in Spring that Shantae and the Seven Sirens is supposed to come out
- Still no news about the next Crash Bandicoot game, with the existence of a standalone mobile game leak puzzling people, and Activision hasn't even shown any teases for the VGAs last year
- PlatinumGames having shown so little details over Bayonetta 3 beyond "it's coming", to the point they have to reassure their fans it's not cancelled

For Nintendo, they probably are getting finishing touches for their upcoming games ready. Which is fair, considering what happened with Metroid Prime 4. Also, the obligatory "Fighter Pass reveals will start at E3" supposition. Finally, they've been aggressive with leakers lately.

It's so quiet right now that the silence is deafening. It seems to me like the majority of devs want this year's E3 to be memorable and are preparing for it.
Again, devs that are multiplat probably have their release plans somewhat dependant on the new consoles. For example, Activision in general and Crash in particular are heavily Sony-affiliated, so I would expect any reveals to happen during a PlayStation event. And since PlayStation is not doing events until they're ready to announce PS5, all the devs that have their reveals aligned with them are on hold as well.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So y'all heard about the Direct playlist being updated? It might be a sign of the Direct coming next week but I heard this has happened before without anything happening. Also, it could very well be that Nindies thing Sabi mentioned last month.

I won't expect anything but who knows really.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So y'all heard about the Direct playlist being updated? It might be a sign of the Direct coming next week but I heard this has happened before without anything happening. Also, it could very well be that Nindies thing Sabi mentioned last month.

I also heard of some kind of physical envelope being released this month, and that the last time that happened was the same day Joker was announced. Though I don't know the exact details on that.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Not related to any discussion here but I found this gem whilst doing some Googling and I found this site featuring a ton of Advance Wars fanart. Check out it here.

It's so cool to see people making AW fanart in the year 2020. And if that mobile rumor is true, we're going to see even more of that.
I also heard of some kind of physical envelope being released this month, and that the last time that happened was the same day Joker was announced. Though I don't know the exact details on that.
For what it's worth, there was that ResetERA guy who said he thought there's a possibility of a Direct this week. It was more speculative than anything else but hey who knows. I still feel that a Nindies is more likely this week and the Direct proper happens in early-April.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, looks like the Roman emperor doggo is making a special appearance in Tiny Metal.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...l_metal_rumble_in_free_dlc_campaign_out_today

Granted, indie crossovers between each other aren't anything new, but it's cool to see it happen in the same genre.

Not related to any discussion here but I found this gem whilst doing some Googling and I found this site featuring a ton of Advance Wars fanart. Check out it here.

It's so cool to see people making AW fanart in the year 2020. And if that mobile rumor is true, we're going to see even more of that.

For what it's worth, there was that ResetERA guy who said he thought there's a possibility of a Direct this week. It was more speculative than anything else but hey who knows. I still feel that a Nindies is more likely this week and the Direct proper happens in early-April.
I heard about a fellow called Jeff Grubb, who went as far as saying that a Nindies will likely happen on the 18th, and a Direct on the 26th: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...tions_expected_to_air_before_the_end_of_march

This might be more concrete than anything we've had until this point.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Well, looks like the Roman emperor doggo is making a special appearance in Tiny Metal.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...l_metal_rumble_in_free_dlc_campaign_out_today

Granted, indie crossovers between each other aren't anything new, but it's cool to see it happen in the same genre.

I heard about a fellow called Jeff Grubb, who went as far as saying that a Nindies will likely happen on the 18th, and a Direct on the 26th: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...tions_expected_to_air_before_the_end_of_march

This might be more concrete than anything we've had until this point.
Considering even GameXplain made a video about it... yeah, we might have a winner.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Bumping this thread. :bluejump:

So if the rumors of the March 26th Direct are true, then that would mean we're less than 48 hours away from the Direct. Exciting to think about yeah barring any COVID-19 insanity.

What are you guys expecting and hoping to see? Personally, i'm hoping to see a lot of dormant franchises or at least some announced in this Direct. There's already been a few in the rumor mill so having something like Golden Sun, Wario Land, etc. shown off would really be encouraging heading in to the Fiscial-Year End Meeting (where Advance Wars Mobile would likely be announced).

Assuming there's even an Investors meeting with COVID-19 haha. If there's no meeting (which is to be expected given circumstances) then I would expect the usual Powepoint presentation that they do annoucing all their stuff.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mostly just want to see a Super Mario 3D World port. It's weird to go in a year without any new Marioverse releases. I mean, it's not too much to ask for, right?

Considering even GameXplain made a video about it... yeah, we might have a winner.
Sure enough, Indie World happened. All that's left is to see if Jeff doesn't get the rug pulled from under him this week...

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Bumping this thread. :bluejump:

So if the rumors of the March 26th Direct are true, then that would mean we're less than 48 hours away from the Direct. Exciting to think about yeah barring any COVID-19 insanity.

What are you guys expecting and hoping to see? Personally, i'm hoping to see a lot of dormant franchises or at least some announced in this Direct. There's already been a few in the rumor mill so having something like Golden Sun, Wario Land, etc. shown off would really be encouraging heading in to the Fiscial-Year End Meeting (where Advance Wars Mobile would likely be announced).

Assuming there's even an Investors meeting with COVID-19 haha. If there's no meeting (which is to be expected given circumstances) then I would expect the usual Powepoint presentation that they do annoucing all their stuff.
At this point it's been so long that my expectations are almost zero and I'd be surprised with almost anything. But I think 2020 is when we see at least one dormant franchise come back. Whether that is in this upcoming Direct, E3 week, or later, I dunno.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
...and just like that, ARMS is confirmed for Fighter 6.

Wow, I legit never saw this coming. It's nice to see Fighter 6 be someone we weren't expecting at all and someone who hasn't been discussed to death already.

And I must say, with the tone being set for FP2 with a promotion already, i'm feeling helluva more hopeful for Andy than i've ever been should the Advance Wars Mobile rumor come true. Especially considering ARMS wasn't super duper requested on the level of Isaac & Geno. That Investor Briefing can't come soon enough.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, we got a lesser-known property coming back alright. Clubhouse Games, of all things.

Honestly I'm not sure if anyone from ARMS would be promoted, the final pick could be a wild card like Min Min's underdog competition win a while back, for ARMS' post-base support.

Anyway, back on topic, Andy's chances are slightly slimmer now that there's five slots remaining. Not that I'm especially confident about his chances, but the Advance Wars rumors would need to pan out, first and foremost.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well, we got a lesser-known property coming back alright. Clubhouse Games, of all things.

Honestly I'm not sure if anyone from ARMS would be promoted, the final pick could be a wild card like Min Min's underdog competition win a while back, for ARMS' post-base support.

Anyway, back on topic, Andy's chances are slightly slimmer now that there's five slots remaining. Not that I'm especially confident about his chances, but the Advance Wars rumors would need to pan out, first and foremost.
On the ARMS discussion, I think it's pretty likely that someone is promoted. I mean the mascots, Spring Man and Ribbon Girl would be the obvious choices and then there's the fan-favorite Min-Min who would make sense to promote. The only other alternative being whatever main character from ARMS 2 as the playable character but even that's a stretch (haha stretch).

Any way you look at it, a promotion is very likely because it's either one of the afformentioned 3 or a composite character for most of them. And that helps all the base-game Spirits in that they're all fair game with the Pass kicking off with a promotion.

I do agree that we need the rumor to pan out before anything else. Which is why this is literally a make it or break it moment for Andy. New Nintendo franchises are fair game for DLC which is something people strongly doubted beforehand. The Wars series has the legacy and critical acclaim needed for inclusion in Smash (and at that, the last long-running Nintendo franchise from the NES-era not in Smash). All that's really needed is relevancy on Andy's side and he can end up a winner considering ARMS wasn't a really popular fan request the way Isaac is.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think ARMS being the first reveal bodes well for a first party only Pass, or at least a majority of it. If we are getting a new game, and I think that's very much in the cards, then that's very good news for Andy's prospect in Smash.

I think Nintendo's offerings this year will be more focused on remakes and smaller titles. A mid-budget AW reboot/remake could be one of those.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Normally they tend to be at the end of april, but this year it'll be probably at May 8th (they'll release the results of the fiscal year at May 7th, and normally the next day they do the meeting).
Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/schedule/index.html
I actually had no idea it was in May instead of April. Interesting.

I think there's a possibility that whatever announcement for this meeting might be held back in light of their not being a full Direct in the first 4 months of 2020. COVID-19 most likely caused Nintendo to have a smaller-scale, mini-Direct for games they were confident would be releasing soon. So in that regard, announcing AW Mobile would wound up looking awkward with no full Direct with other franchise revivals.

With that being said, I could see this Mobile game being announced at the psuedo-E3 Direct in June or the July Investor meeting when COVID-19 becomes less of an issue. And TBH, it would make more sense for that to happen in light of all of this.
I think ARMS being the first reveal bodes well for a first party only Pass, or at least a majority of it. If we are getting a new game, and I think that's very much in the cards, then that's very good news for Andy's prospect in Smash.

I think Nintendo's offerings this year will be more focused on remakes and smaller titles. A mid-budget AW reboot/remake could be one of those.
If nothing else, I would hope a new Switch Advance Wars using the engine from 3H could compliment the rumored mobile game. I figure it could happen but whatever Mobile game would have to be proven a success before that happens most likely.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The mini was barely small for its length, the only thing that really got cut was somebody presenting the games in person.

That being said, there are rumors about Flipnote getting a remake.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The mini was barely small for its length, the only thing that really got cut was somebody presenting the games in person.

That being said, there are rumors about Flipnote getting a remake.

Huh? We're already seeing some old franchises coming back huh? Well between this, the out of left field Famicom Detective Club remake, and all the Golden Sun remake rumors. I would think that bodes pretty well for us along with the trademark/mobile rumor I mentioned before.

Basically, my point with the Mini was that they were focusing on stuff releasing not that far in the future or things they already announced. Which is the reason we didn't see all those rumored stuff come to pass like the Wii U ports, Paper Mario, and the 2D Metroid. There would be no reason to hold those back especially considering they're all likely 2020 bound. Bottom line is COVID-19 really screwed the world over and it makes sense why Nintendo would defer their announcements at a time like this.

Come June, things are likely to calm down a bit and I think society will have a better handle on the situation which is why it's a better time for announcements of all kinds. Hence why I believe whatever rumored AW Mobile game could very well be announced in June or July even if it was intended to be announced in the Spring.

Last edited:

Sunredo

Smash Apprentice
Crash is Orange.
Andy is Orange Star.
Fellas? I think it’s our time.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Crash is Orange.
Andy is Orange Star.
Fellas? I think it’s our time.
Ironically enough, both are my most wanted third party & first party characters for Smash. :bluejump:

The question remains however, when do we get WarsBoards? :confused: Would give EmblemBoards a run for it's money that's for sure. ;)

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

Something I've been wondering lately, now that a lot of game companies will be having their staff work from home....I wonder if that means it'll now be a lot harder for them to keep information from leaking?

Also to be honest I've started to lose my sense of place on the forum today and it's harder to recognize people, every thread just looks like a Crash Bandicoot support thread now. If I was passing this thread on the street I wouldn't know a thing, sorry to this thread.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Something I've been wondering lately, now that a lot of game companies will be having their staff work from home....I wonder if that means it'll now be a lot harder for them to keep information from leaking?

Also to be honest I've started to lose my sense of place on the forum today and it's harder to recognize people, every thread just looks like a Crash Bandicoot support thread now. If I was passing this thread on the street I wouldn't know a thing, sorry to this thread.
That's something Sakurai mentioned in the column where he talks about coronavirus. Since Smash stuff is secret and super sensitive, they don't let employees take work home to prevent leaks, which is what's holding up development so much.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I was wondering about that, it would explain the recent Mario leaks that still haven't been disproven.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah I def think progress on whatever's in development is being halted for some time at least. Which is reasonable and to be expected in time's like these. That being said, I don't see it being an overly large hiatus or anything. Maybe 3 months of work gets halted causing whatever's in the pipeline to release in the Quarter after (i.e. Q4 games in Q1 2021). So in that regard, I could see something like BoTW2 being early-2021 bound rather than Holiday this year. Interesting to see what could happen to the rumored AW Mobile title in light of this depending on how far it was in development.

As for things leaking, I kinda doubt it personally. I mean, not any more or less than things would normally leak in any given year.
When Crash gets into the game first. :4pacman:

You can't just force causality, you know.
Bruh, we're going to have an Orange Revolution on our hands here.

And y'all thought Color Theory was dead? Silly.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Well, I don't know if it matters much, but I saw a bunch of Advance Wars discussion on the General Newcomer thread. It seems a lot of people agree that the lack of representation is incredibly odd, especially for a first-party series.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well, I don't know if it matters much, but I saw a bunch of Advance Wars discussion on the General Newcomer thread. It seems a lot of people agree that the lack of representation is incredibly odd, especially for a first-party series.
I mean it's a common sentiment I find. And it really adds up when you consider that the Wars series is Nintendo's last long-running franchise from the NES-era without a playable character and a franchise with 12 entries under it's belt. It had a perfect attendance as well on Nintendo platforms prior to the Wii U/3DS era barring the Virtual Boy & N64 (64 Wars was a thing that got cancelled). Basically, it's a franchise that many believe would have been a natural inclusion in the Brawl-era.

As for the outlook for this franchise, I honestly believe there's hope in light of all the things I mentioned in this thread. I still maintain that something in the Wars series is going to come within the next year (or two if COVID-19 continues to be an issue for society) between the trademark from Dec 2018 not relating to any renewal and the other Mobile rumors. Even if there's no Mobile game, I feel as if something could still happen like a smaller-scale game on the Switch or a full-budget game outright (latter being more unlikely but who's to say).

If that were to come to pass and the "flavor" of FP2 really is 1st party themed, then Andy actually has a viable chance for DLC especially with the introduction of a new, 1st party franchise. And one that already had prior representation in the base game at that. Not that I would actively hold my breath for Andy to show up of course but there's a greater than non-zero chance for that to happen IMO.

Last edited:

Sunredo

Smash Apprentice
So here’s something interesting; Advance Wars is trending on Twitter!

The reason it’s trending is due to this tweet, an image of 19 franchises with the caption “You may resurrect 5 video game franchises for the remainder of this year. Choose Wisely.” So many people had AW in their top 5 it ended up on trending as well as some other franchises like Jet Set Radio and Golden Sun.

Funny how this happened a night after the newcomer thread talked about wanting AW back as well. I’m genuinely glad to see that there actually is demand for an AW revival from the general audience and that we’re not alone in wanting one.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

The reason it’s trending is due to this tweet, an image of 19 franchises with the caption “You may resurrect 5 video game franchises for the remainder of this year. Choose Wisely.” So many people had AW in their top 5 it ended up on trending as well as some other franchises like Jet Set Radio and Golden Sun.

Funny how this happened a night after the newcomer thread talked about wanting AW back as well. I’m genuinely glad to see that there actually is demand for an AW revival from the general audience and that we’re not alone in wanting one.
Yeah, even Billy Hatcher was trending because of that, and he only had one game! A really good game, mind you, but still, I never thought I'd live to see the day...

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Yeah, I saw that to. I see those kinds of "what dead franchises do you want to see come back" kind of things on Twitter and it's always cool to see people expressing their support for Advance Wars coming back. Of course it's not going to kickstart a new game outright but like, it's a good sign that the franchise is missed in it's 12-year hiatus. One that will come to an end sooner or later I feel.

On a related topic, I believe the Investor Meeting thing is going to be held 3 weeks from now. I don't expect there to be any physical meeting of course but I think they might do a standard Powerpoint slide going over some stuff and talking about the next fiscial year (maybe with some bigger announcements).

Despite that, I don't feel whatever rumored AW Mobile game will be announced there because it would be a horrible time to do so in the climate we're living in. If the rumor comes to pass, I feel like it would be announced alongside whatever June Direct they have or their July meeting when COVID-19 becomes a bit less serious than it is now.

Top Bottom