• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orange Star's Hyperactive Whiz Kid! - Andy For Smash Ultimate! We'll Live To Fight Another Day...

Favorite Advance Wars Game (Not Including pre-AW and Battalion Wars)

• Total voters

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If IntSys can keep developing games and showing them off to Sakurai mid-development, who knows? Maybe they're working on a new AW and Andy is Fighter 11. Stranger things have happened.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
If Advance Wars had 8 reps who would you choose to represent?

I’d pick Andy, Sami, Max, Nell, Eagle, Will, Lin, and Sturm.
IMO...

1. Andy
2. Sami
3. Max
4. Hawke
5. Sturm
6. Rachel
7. Will
8. Lin

Although as much as an AW fanboy I am, i'll admit 8 characters is really overdoing it lmao. Honestly, i'd be fine with just Andy & Sami. Andy with the composite AW moveset incorporating everything and Sami as a Snake semi-clone.
If IntSys can keep developing games and showing them off to Sakurai mid-development, who knows? Maybe they're working on a new AW and Andy is Fighter 11. Stranger things have happened.
That's exactly what I thought of and mentioned last page. You gotta think whatever AW Mobile game has been in the works for a pretty long time now. If that old Dec 2017 rumor is actually true, a new Advance Wars of any kind has been in the works for over two years now. Granted if what markomaro said about development shifting from console to mobile is true, then I could see that being a reason why Andy wasn't on this pass and is instead planned to release 2021 closer to that hypothetical game.

Of course, we need official confirmation about this game's existence which unfortuantely might not happen until late this month or late April (in Nintendo's shareholder meeting). If this turns out to be legit, then our chances for DLC gets a major boost as I mentioned before.

Also something going in Andy's favor is that Sakurai is fine with ending the pass even wihout a heavy hitter as seen today. So Andy could very well be Fighter 10 or 11 and release close to said rumored game. Of course, he might end up a salt magnet but people respect the Wars series too much to crucify Andy lmao. :bee:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Although as much as an AW fanboy I am, i'll admit 8 characters is really overdoing it lmao.
I'd imagine a nonzero amount of Fire Emblem fans feel the same way right now lol.

Honestly, i'd be fine with just Andy & Sami. Andy with the composite AW moveset incorporating everything and Sami as a Snake semi-clone.
This would honestly be my ideal as well. The 8 characters thing was more of a jest than anything else.

Last edited:

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
If Advance Wars had 8 reps who would you choose to represent?

I’d pick Andy, Sami, Max, Nell, Eagle, Will, Lin, and Sturm.
Sami, Sami in her alternate outfit from Dual Strike, Grit, Eagle, Hawke, Jess, Nell and Hachi. Hachi gets the whip sword. Dark Andy is a boss character. DO NOT AT ME.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So our chances pretty much hinge on Nintendo making a push for an Advance Wars character in the event of a new Mobile/Switch game huh? As sad as it is to say it, I don't ever see Sakurai making a play for this franchise if he has no reason to do it. Any chance for this to happen has to come from Nintendo directly.

A silver lining I didn't even see in the Presentation was that the deadline for the next Pass is Dec 2021. If AW Mobile happens to be early/mid 2021, then we're potentially in the clear to have a character in the game. Especially considering 3H was decided on sometime in 2018 meaning a full year before that game came out. And given it's a pre-exisiting character like Andy, it makes it that much easier to draw out a moveset.
Sami, Sami in her alternate outfit from Dual Strike, Grit, Eagle, Hawke, Jess, Nell and Hachi. Hachi gets the whip sword. Dark Andy is a boss character. DO NOT AT ME.
I think you mean Clone Andy from the AW1 Campaign lol.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Well, I know this isn't much, but a Youtuber I watch named RabbidLuigi put Wargroove on his list of the 10 Best Games of 2019. Granted, it wasn't that high on the list, but it's something.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Ah, good timing with the thread bump Jr. I was hoping it would be bumped around this time because this is the week of the Nintendo Investor meeting that happens every 3 months.

Usually in the past, we've seen mobile games be announced at this event like AC/FE Mobile along with some others. Given the rumors for AW Mobile are out there, there's a possibility we might see these rumors come to pass 4 days from now.

Of course, this isn't the Fiscial Year End investor meeting Nintendo has. That's the one they have in late-April where they talk about their plans for the whole fiscial year (April through March). So if AW Mobile doesn't happen this week, there's still a good chance it could be revealed there. Or better yet, in a Nintendo Direct but that would only be for a hypothetical Switch entry.

Either way, we should be on the lookout either this Thursday or 3 months from now.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Currently replaying the first AW! Was looking for some random old game I could play, and figured why not replay the series. I'm very very rusty, but damn it's an addictive game.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Currently replaying the first AW! Was looking for some random old game I could play, and figured why not replay the series. I'm very very rusty, but damn it's an addictive game.
Funny you say that because I was replaying AW2's War Room missions a few weeks ago. In particular, I was trying to see how many CO's I could use to beat the mission "Risky Vale". I could only do it with Sami, Sturm, and Kanbei.

Basically with that mission, you're enclosed in a small mountain area with nothing but some cities and bases to help fend off Max and Kanbei's direct assault. Max is kind of a pushover but Kanbei really packs the punch and his units are stupid hard to beat because of his +30% defense & firepower (even worse with his Super activated).

There wasn't much I was able to do other then cheese the mission with cheap tactics lol. Sami thanks to her quick capturing and Mech output, Sturm because he's broken as all hell (seriously +20% firepower & defense and zero terrain cost?), and Kanbei because the only thing that beats Kanbei is Kanbei lmao.

If anyone has experience playing this War Room mission, please share it here. I'm looking to try to do this mission with every CO even if some are impossible to do. There's an easier version of this map in Dual Strike that gives you the surrounding properties right off the bat so I don't count that one lol.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So, um... did Nintendo mention anything about their mobile projects at the fiscal thing?
No, not at the moment. They covered their financials for Q4 as well as sales figures for games but no announcements. I believe their conference is slated to happen tonight and the English translation will be posted tomorrow.

As for the possibility of AW Mobile being announced here, it could happen but if it doesn't then no sweat. Whatever mobile game would likely be announced at the April investors meeting when they cover the entire year going forward rather than just 1 quarter.

Especially if the next Direct has some older franchises being revived (i.e. Golden Sun, Wario Land, what have you) then the announcement of AW Mobile would fit like a glove when Nintendo talks about their strategy bringing back their old franchises.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Out of curiosity, what would you all say/do if Rachel was the AW rep? I'm just wondering, cause I barely (if ever) see anyone talking about her on here. By the way, is she related to Sami or Nell? I kind of forgot.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Out of curiosity, what would you all say/do if Rachel was the AW rep?
I'd be a bit confused, but hey it's still an AW rep.

Wouldn't give up on Andy, though. It'd be like continuing to root for Lyn despite having a bunch of other FE characters.

P47

Smash Apprentice
Out of curiosity, what would you all say/do if Rachel was the AW rep? I'm just wondering, cause I barely (if ever see anyone talking about her on here). By the way, is she related to Sami or Nell? I kind of forgot.
It'd be a weird pick but I'd still celebrate like mad for her or any other AW character (even from DoR). Also she's related to Nell iirc

We'd be guaranteed a remix of her theme which is pretty sweet

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Out of curiosity, what would you all say/do if Rachel was the AW rep? I'm just wondering, cause I barely (if ever see anyone talking about her on here). By the way, is she related to Sami or Nell? I kind of forgot.
It would be weird seeing Rachel be the AW rep over the likes of Andy, Sami, or Will but anything is better than nothing. The chances of that happening is pretty much 0% though given Dual Strike is the worst-selling Advance Wars game and Andy/Sami have much more reason to be included or Will if IntSys ever continued the DoR storyline.

And yeah, Rachel is Nell's younger sister. I'll admit I would much rather prefer her over the cringe kid from Dual Strike, i.e. Wangster Andy (Jake).
  • Andy
  • Eagle
  • Grit
  • Sturm
  • Hawke
  • Sami
  • Grimm
  • Will
Low-key, Grimm would be insanely broken if he were ever in. Think about it. A true glass cannon that can bull-doze through anyone and can camp using long-range units if he has the same Unit Summoning gimmick as Andy.

If nothing else, it would be hilarious seeing competitive players complain about someone like Grimm lmao.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So, remember those rumors about a real-time strategy Nintendo game being ported?

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...l_101_on_switch_teased_again_by_platinumgames

It might actually be W101, instead of Pikmin 3.
I'm... still confused about this. Doesn't Nintendo own the IP? Why would it be coming to PS4? Not like it would help sales, given the Switch's dominance at the moment (no offense). I've heard people say Nintendo may have sold the rights to Platinum, but with how much they like keeping things to themselves, I honestly can't see them doing that. Plus, they used an anonymous 4chan post as a reference. That's never a good idea.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, here's the thing: Platinum was given funding from a separate company recently. They are pushing more and more to go in an indie direction, and Nintendo seems to respect that (seeing how much Nintendo welcomed indies with open arms for the Switch).

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...self-publishing-plans-with-tencent-investment

Even without 4Chan, there are sources from both Gamexplain and Nintendo Life that seem to believe that there are indeed plans to have W101 go multiplat.

Also, this isn't the first time we've had a weird character IP ownership situation regarding Platinum. :ultbayonetta:

Edit:

The closer we get to the killswitch, the weirder this story is getting.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So you guys probably heard the rumors floating around of Fighter 6 possibly using Bayonetta's assets or what have you given a glitch that occurs in the Ver 7.0 version.

This isn't unheard of. IIRC, there was a glitch in Ver 2.0 that made both :ultswordfighter::ultduckhunt: delete save data possibly hinting at :ulthero::ultbanjokazooie: becoming playable (which was the case 4 months later).

All that got me thinking. What kind of character could be used as Andy's base that would cause the game to glitch if used? The easy choices are :ultness::ultyounglink::ultvillager: given their similar height but I don't think it fits really well given Andy would have next to nothing in common with how he plays compared to them.

Personally, I think it's more likely to be :ultpit:or :ultolimar: used as Andy's base. :ultpit:because his dual blades would have a similar function to Andy's wrench attacks and :ultolimar: because his function summoning Pikmin would be a little bit similar to Andy's Unit Purchasing system.

Of course if they wanted to be super meta about it, they should have Andy's base be :ultsnake: given the amount of people that asked for Andy/Sami to take Snake's moveset pre-Ultimate lmao.
Well, here's the thing: Platinum was given funding from a separate company recently. They are pushing more and more to go in an indie direction, and Nintendo seems to respect that (seeing how much Nintendo welcomed indies with open arms for the Switch).

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...self-publishing-plans-with-tencent-investment

Even without 4Chan, there are sources from both Gamexplain and Nintendo Life that seem to believe that there are indeed plans to have W101 go multiplat.

Also, this isn't the first time we've had a weird character IP ownership situation regarding Platinum. :ultbayonetta:

Edit:

The closer we get to the killswitch, the weirder this story is getting.
Nice. Platinum going full on 3rd party sounds good to me.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So you guys probably heard the rumors floating around of Fighter 6 possibly using Bayonetta's assets or what have you given a glitch that occurs in the Ver 7.0 version.
This isn't unheard of. IIRC, there was a glitch in Ver 2.0 that made both :ultswordfighter::ultduckhunt: delete save data possibly hinting at :ulthero::ultbanjokazooie: becoming playable (which was the case 4 months later).
You forgot about :ultbowserjr: accidentally causing a severe glitch as well, in relation to :ultpiranha: being there at launch, which was backed up by that one 4Chan post of the latter seemingly being in a kart before they were finished.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
You forgot about :ultbowserjr: accidentally causing a severe glitch as well, in relation to :ultpiranha: being there at launch, which was backed up by that one 4Chan post of the latter seemingly being in a kart before they were finished.
Oh yeah true that. IIRC, there was rumors of :ultsimon::ultrichter:glitching the game hinting at Byleth but I never heard of any rumor like that between Nov 6th-Jan 28th. Also not sure if a similar glitch occurred with :ult_terry: using :ultryu::ultken: as a base.

In any case, do you have any guesses as to who said base character could be used for Andy? I'm curious to hear what people think.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh yeah true that. IIRC, there was rumors of :ultsimon::ultrichter:glitching the game hinting at Byleth but I never heard of any rumor like that between Nov 6th-Jan 28th. Also not sure if a similar glitch occurred with :ult_terry: using :ultryu::ultken: as a base.

In any case, do you have any guesses as to who said base character could be used for Andy? I'm curious to hear what people think.
I honestly don't know, this feels like such an odd duck situation, so he could use multiple characters as a base, since people reported that :ultjoker: used a few moves from other characters.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I honestly don't know, this feels like such an odd duck situation, so he could use multiple characters as a base, since people reported that :ultjoker: used a few moves from other characters.
True. I see Andy borrowing from :ultpit::ultolimar::ultduckhunt::ultsnake: to some degree although he would be mostly original in how he plays. Given the Unit Purchasing/Summoning system is a niche that's never been explored in Smash Bros ever and would make Andy very marketable in that regard.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The easy choices are :ultness::ultyounglink::ultvillager: given their similar height but I don't think it fits really well given Andy would have next to nothing in common with how he plays compared to them.
While Project M used movesets to consider additional fighters' bases, the official Smash devs use body shapes, or other necessities for their skeleton like Duck Hunt and Banjo-Kazooie having bird partners or in PP's case, the fact that Bowser Jr. sits in something. So I think it would be Young Link.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
While Project M used movesets to consider additional fighters' bases, the official Smash devs use body shapes, or other necessities for their skeleton like Duck Hunt and Banjo-Kazooie having bird partners or in PP's case, the fact that Bowser Jr. sits in something. So I think it would be Young Link.
Well now that you mention it, I envision Andy being really fast & nimble like Young Link so it does add up. I would think Andy would be a bit taller tho which was the case with Banjo/DH and Hero/Mii Swordfighter.
Now, to frantically use :ultyounglink:in All-Star Smash from now until Ver 10.0 until it glitches the game and Andy is confirmed. :bluejump:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...inum4_website_and_no_one_knows_whats_going_on

It'll be a matter of days, hours or something before this mystery's solved.
Hmm... the static effect and the site's colors remind me of Nier Automata, but the font the 4 is written in looks different.

It's also interesting that this "Platinum4" site went live on the 3rd. Is it a countdown... or is it gonna count up?

Regardless, I'm excited for what Platinum has in store.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...inum4_website_and_no_one_knows_whats_going_on

It'll be a matter of days, hours or something before this mystery's solved.
I've seen a lot of people compare this to the "Capcom 5" incident, which would mean they are about to announce 4 games. Still, we don't even have gameplay of Bayonetta 3 yet, so I don't know if that would fit in. Though it could also be their new self-publishing division that they are apparently working on, though I don't have a source on that, so don't quote me.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I saw someone mentionning Drakengard, a serie that has already 3 games, and that is the (spiritual?) prequel of Nier.
Yeah. I looked at Drakengard's logos and the numbers, at least on Drakengard 3, look similar to the 4 on the sits, like it's the same font, or at least a somewhat similar one.

Maybe they'll reveal it tomorrow, on the 4th...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah. I looked at Drakengard's logos and the numbers, at least on Drakengard 3, look similar to the 4 on the sits, like it's the same font, or at least a somewhat similar one.

Maybe they'll reveal it tomorrow, on the 4th...
Yeah, possibly. Or 4 PM. Or in 4 days. The number could mean anything, honestly.

Meanwhile, there are rumors of Directs (yes, plural) coming this month. Presumably, one of those will be for Animal Crossing. :ultvillager::ultisabelle:

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Just wanted to add in my two cents by saying that if Andy were to be added, I personally feel that :ultpit: (via body build), :ultsnake: (weapons), and :ultolimar: (summoning gimmick) would cause the game to glitch.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
tfw when you realize we could have a new Advance Wars crowdfunded by the fans and the goal would be reached on the same day.

IntSys plz... :cry:

That aside, good on the W101 fans for surpassing their goal.
Just wanted to add in my two cents by saying that if Andy were to be added, I personally feel that :ultpit: (via body build), :ultsnake: (weapons), and :ultolimar: (summoning gimmick) would cause the game to glitch.
While that's true and all, I don't think Andy would borrow that many moves from Snake. I
The Mech Rocket I could see Andy having a modified version of and maybe Andy's T-Copter function's similar to Snake's Up B with a longer duration. Aside from that, I don't see Andy using Grenades and C4's lol.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
tfw when you realize we could have a new Advance Wars crowdfunded by the fans and the goal would be reached on the same day.

IntSys plz... :cry:

That aside, good on the W101 fans for surpassing their goal.

While that's true and all, I don't think Andy would borrow that many moves from Snake. I
The Mech Rocket I could see Andy having a modified version of and maybe Andy's T-Copter function's similar to Snake's Up B with a longer duration. Aside from that, I don't see Andy using Grenades and C4's lol.
To be fair, this situation is a bit complicated. Nintendo still owns the IP apparently, but they didn't want to publish for rival platforms, so Platinum had to resort to Kickstarter in order to self-publish. Plus, there's always the possibility that, should this remaster succeed and warrent a sequal, it would be Switch-exclusive a la Bayonetta 2. This IS business at the end of the day.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
To be fair, this situation is a bit complicated. Nintendo still owns the IP apparently, but they didn't want to publish for rival platforms, so Platinum had to resort to Kickstarter in order to self-publish. Plus, there's always the possibility that, should this remaster succeed and warrent a sequal, it would be Switch-exclusive a la Bayonetta 2. This IS business at the end of the day.
Yeah, sort of a Bayonetta situation in reverse.

Platinum's push to become indie, I believe, is so that they can finally own the creations they make, for once, and do whatever they want with them (or at least just the latter). They already no longer have access to their early ones from their days at Capcom as Clover (not to mention anything related to MadWorld).

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah. I was more so lamenting how easy it would be for IntSys to go "hey guys wanna new Advance Wars on the Switch?" on any random Monday in the year and for the money to pratically come crashing through the roof.

Of course, the cost for making a new game VS porting an old one is a major difference but I bet we could fund a good chunck of that lmao.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's the perks of Platinum being third-party.

Anywho, it's finally here.

Top Bottom