• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orange Star's Hyperactive Whiz Kid! - Andy For Smash Ultimate! We'll Live To Fight Another Day...

Favorite Advance Wars Game (Not Including pre-AW and Battalion Wars)

• Total voters

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I see Advance Wars being more of a series that you just make a new game for, rather than remaking an old one. They've held up very well, and while the OG titles could be remade in 3D, I don't know how well that fits with the series' style (this may just be me though) and I think reviving the series might be enough of a risk that they'd be turned off from spending so much and would rather reboot it in a retro-style game (y'know, like Wargroove). Plus it's not like there's this complex plot like Golden Sun where you'd need the new audience to be familiar before releasing a sequel, the games are more standalone.

But it is a possibility that we get a remake, maybe something more along the vein of the Mario & Luigi remakes. Maybe we could get a remake for Days of Ruin, that I think is the title which would lend itself more towards a 3D realistic style. Or maybe a remake of the older, pre-Advance games, that would allow the creative freedom to introduce a new cast and maybe even the shipping mechanics they want while not alienating fans of the Advance crew.
Yeah I agree def. There's really no need to remake Advance Wars since these games aren't really story-based much like how you wouldn't expect an F-Zero remake. Though I will admit, it would be sweet if there were a Wars World remake with Andy & Co. but I think it's better for the franchise's future to go with a new setting as opposed to reintroducing an old one. So that the new generation who may have never experienced any Advance Wars game before starts with a new story, not having to know anything beforehand. And like you said, introducing all those character-based mechanics without alienating older fans who wouldn't want to see Wars World characters be shipped lol.

Though I would hope both Wars World CO's and DoR CO's get to be included through post-release content (outside the game's story) similar to how Awakening reintroduced the older lords outside the plot. Imagine a comprehensive multiplayer mode featuring new CO's and most of the past ones. All with their own War Room missions to bring with them.

And speaking of which, I hope whatever multiplayer, online mode is the main selling point of the game or at least one of the main selling points. I honestly believe there's potential for Advance Wars as an E-Sport title as well if Nintendo positioned/marketed the game like that. Kind of their own LoL in a way but not exactly if you catch my drift lol.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yeah I agree def. There's really no need to remake Advance Wars since these games aren't really story-based much like how you wouldn't expect an F-Zero remake. Though I will admit, it would be sweet if there were a Wars World remake with Andy & Co. but I think it's better for the franchise's future to go with a new setting as opposed to reintroducing an old one. So that the new generation who may have never experienced any Advance Wars game before starts with a new story, not having to know anything beforehand. And like you said, introducing all those character-based mechanics without alienating older fans who wouldn't want to see Wars World characters be shipped lol.

Though I would hope both Wars World CO's and DoR CO's get to be included through post-release content (outside the game's story) similar to how Awakening reintroduced the older lords outside the plot. Imagine a comprehensive multiplayer mode featuring new CO's and most of the past ones. All with their own War Room missions to bring with them.

And speaking of which, I hope whatever multiplayer, online mode is the main selling point of the game or at least one of the main selling points. I honestly believe there's potential for Advance Wars as an E-Sport title as well if Nintendo positioned/marketed the game like that. Kind of their own LoL in a way but not exactly if you catch my drift lol.
I never thought of the comparison to LoL, but I could totally see something like that. If it happened, it would really be the only one it its league; at least, I don't think I ever saw a TBS be an eSport. If it did it would be a huge win for Nintendo, they've been trying to get into that space.

As for the reboot talk, I do see them making a game set in Wars World. Just make it the start of a new story, maybe have it take place a good while after to the point where very few plot points from the previous games matter and the ones that do can be explained away as backstory.

As for the old crew, I think they'd probably have them cameo as the "Old war veteran" versions of themselves. Maybe something wacky like Andy being president of Orange Star, nothing that requires knowledge of the old games but just as fanservice.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I never thought of the comparison to LoL, but I could totally see something like that. If it happened, it would really be the only one it its league; at least, I don't think I ever saw a TBS be an eSport. If it did it would be a huge win for Nintendo, they've been trying to get into that space.

As for the reboot talk, I do see them making a game set in Wars World. Just make it the start of a new story, maybe have it take place a good while after to the point where very few plot points from the previous games matter and the ones that do can be explained away as backstory.

As for the old crew, I think they'd probably have them cameo as the "Old war veteran" versions of themselves. Maybe something wacky like Andy being president of Orange Star, nothing that requires knowledge of the old games but just as fanservice.
Because of this post, i'll never be able to get the visual image of President Andy out of my head lmao!

That aside, I think having the old CO's cameo outside the game's story is a much better fit than reusing the same setting (and for that matter, fanservice enough seeing those old characters back and playing as them). You gotta remember there's still a lot of people that want to see the DoR CO's make a return as well so the best way to please everyone is to have them all return as I mentioned before. And TBH, I just like the idea of a completly different world than the ones we got used to and have those CO's be the focus. Still hope it's Andy that gets picked should the series get a Smash rep tho.

Yeah which is why I said it would be like LoL but not exactly lol. I mean like a strategy game that could be marketed as a competitve game. Advance Wars has a big multiplayer component to it so why not go all the way with it and have it be an E-Sport of sort? Like, a system where players face off in tournament created maps and each player has like 2-3 minutes to make their turn (also having a waiting phase where they think of a strategy as well). I mean it might not be as exciting as say watching Smash Bros but for strategy lovers like myself, it would be a blast seeing tactics employed by pro players. And there would def be an audience for that (like you said, a first in the E-Sport field).

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Quick reminder for the people here: Wargroove was nominated for Best Strategy Game. I know it's only marginally Wars-related, but if you wanna support the genre, or Wargroove itself, you can still cast your vote!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah, that's pretty much what I wanted to talk about here. Wargroove is up for nomination for "Strategy Game of the Year" and I think it would be helluva badass if it ended up winning.

Of course, it has stiff competition in the form of 3H but we should still try and see how far we can go with this. Even in a close second, we could potentially send a message although an upset would be incredible! One can hope lol.

Below is the link where you can vote for all the categories.

https://thegameawards.com/voting-jury

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/11/langrisser_i_and_ii_lands_a_2020_release_date_in_the_west

You know that classic SRPG gameplay is in vogue again when even Langrisser of all things gets its older games rereleased in the West.
To be fair, Langrisser is apparently the closest thing Fire Emblem has to a rival, at least according to Did You Know Gaming. Then again, that episode got some criticism for apparently downplaying the success of Fire Emblem Heroes, so take that as you will.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/11/langrisser_i_and_ii_lands_a_2020_release_date_in_the_west

You know that classic SRPG gameplay is in vogue again when even Langrisser of all things gets its older games rereleased in the West.
Daaaamn, that's something I never thought I'd see happening.

****, at this point, I think the only company not porting their old games to Switch is Nintendo themselves. I guess it's to avoid devaluing them, but at some point you gotta cash in on that valuable IP you're protecting, right?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

I never played Langrisser before so i'm def interested in trying this out.
To be fair, Langrisser is apparently the closest thing Fire Emblem has to a rival, at least according to Did You Know Gaming. Then again, that episode got some criticism for apparently downplaying the success of Fire Emblem Heroes, so take that as you will.
IIRC, Langrisser made a comeback in recent years right? I heard it was a series that started out in the 90's.

****, at this point, I think the only company not porting their old games to Switch is Nintendo themselves. I guess it's to avoid devaluing them, but at some point you gotta cash in on that valuable IP you're protecting, right?
Methinks they want to omit any kind of Virtual Console service or even ports so that they could have these games on NSO. Which is fine if they're going to have such a huge catelog that you have access to but I wish they added the entire SNES, N64, GBA, DS library.

Okay, so maybe not all of them but like the best hits of the systems lol. And at that, maybe not have it take so long to release new systems on the NSO. Sorry if that comes off as ungrateful but still.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Some sticklers for tradition are a little too stubborn.

At any rate, at least we got SNES games, I guess we'll see if the rest will follow in a few years.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I never played Langrisser before so i'm def interested in trying this out.

IIRC, Langrisser made a comeback in recent years right? I heard it was a series that started out in the 90's.

Methinks they want to omit any kind of Virtual Console service or even ports so that they could have these games on NSO. Which is fine if they're going to have such a huge catelog that you have access to but I wish they added the entire SNES, N64, GBA, DS library.

Okay, so maybe not all of them but like the best hits of the systems lol. And at that, maybe not have it take so long to release new systems on the NSO. Sorry if that comes off as ungrateful but still.
Langrisser did make a comeback, though as far as I can remember it did so as a mobile game. I have played some of the first one and it was really fun, so I'd recommend you give it a try.

As for NSO, that's definitely the culprit. Look, if they want us to pay a subscription fee forever, that's fine, but I wish they'd stop holding their catalogue hostage. I've already played most games on it several times, I want to see the weirder stuff get more focus. When even Disney is opening their legendary Vault, it looks really backwards for Nintendo to have a subscription service and not stack it with their amazing content at its full extent.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Some sticklers for tradition are a little too stubborn.

At any rate, at least we got SNES games, I guess we'll see if the rest will follow in a few years.
Damn that would realy suck if N64/GBA games don't follow suit in the NSO service. I mean, I think they're likely to happen but I would be bummed out if they didn't come to pass.
Langrisser did make a comeback, though as far as I can remember it did so as a mobile game. I have played some of the first one and it was really fun, so I'd recommend you give it a try.

As for NSO, that's definitely the culprit. Look, if they want us to pay a subscription fee forever, that's fine, but I wish they'd stop holding their catalogue hostage. I've already played most games on it several times, I want to see the weirder stuff get more focus. When even Disney is opening their legendary Vault, it looks really backwards for Nintendo to have a subscription service and not stack it with their amazing content at its full extent.
Def!

Disney's releasing their own catelog finally eh? Well that's the shocker of the century lol.

I do think N64/GBA games will likely happen but it would be pretty underwhealming to wait a year/two years for that to pan out. Again, sorry if that's ungrateful lol.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
In any case, just continue to ask about GBA games on Twitter, e-mail et al until they eventually get into the top men's ears.

In the meantime, the Warzone movement's main objective is to see Wargroove win at the VGAs.
I mean that is our goal yes but competing with 3H is anything but an easy task. Especially since it's more widely known than Wargroove and a big 1st party release. That being said, WG was also released on the PS4, X1, and PC so maybe those users voting would help WG's case?

Let's just keep encouraging people to vote for Wargroove. If we win, that would be incredible but even with a strong second place showing we can make our mark.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean that is our goal yes but competing with 3H is anything but an easy task. Especially since it's more widely known than Wargroove and a big 1st party release. That being said, WG was also released on the PS4, X1, and PC so maybe those users voting would help WG's case?

Let's just keep encouraging people to vote for Wargroove. If we win, that would be incredible but even with a strong second place showing we can make our mark.
Probably, if it was just on Switch the audience and supporters would be a tad more limited. There's still plenty of time to leave an impact before the 12th, at least.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Probably, if it was just on Switch the audience and supporters would be a tad more limited. There's still plenty of time to leave an impact before the 12th, at least.
True that.

Of course, another hurdle is getting Operation Warzone off the ground. I was kinda sad to see it not gain that much traction but hopefully we can reverse course eventually.

Like I said, I honestly believe we would serve to benefit if a big content creator gave us a shoutout or something. I tried to reach out to some but to no avail unfortunately.

Any ideas you guys can share would be much appreciated or even if you spread the word around on different social media sites.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
True that.

Of course, another hurdle is getting Operation Warzone off the ground. I was kinda sad to see it not gain that much traction but hopefully we can reverse course eventually.

Like I said, I honestly believe we would serve to benefit if a big content creator gave us a shoutout or something. I tried to reach out to some but to no avail unfortunately.

Any ideas you guys can share would be much appreciated or even if you spread the word around on different social media sites.
Any update on the Nin Nakajima comission? That might help, at least a little.

Also, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but a LOT of people are upset that Three Houses only got one nomination (some even say it deserved GOTY), and seem to be doing whatever they can to ensure that it wins that one award. Calling this an "uphill battle" is an understatement.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Also, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but a LOT of people are upset that Three Houses only got one nomination (some even say it deserved GOTY), and seem to be doing whatever they can to ensure that it wins that one award. Calling this an "uphill battle" is an understatement.
To be fair, Ura would be fine with second best. You can't always beat the champion, just make sure you reach the distance.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

NinN's commision list is gigantic lol. I honestly don't believe he'll get to the request until sometime in Q1 2020. He's a busy guy and he just came back from a hiatus IIRC. That being said, I know his finished work is going to be incredible so it makes the wait worthwhile.

I know dude. It's going to be very difficult which is why i'm hoping for an upset. Or at the very least, a strong 2nd place showing. We're going to try at least.

That reminds me, does TVGA's disclose the vote numbers? I really hope they do so we can see how well Wargroove did.
To be fair, Ura would be fine with second best. You can't always beat the champion, just make sure you reach the distance.

I would prefer "Eye of the Tiger" personally but this works as well. This really is like a Rocky fight lol.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
To my knowledge this has never happened.
That's a bummer. In any case, I hope this year will be an exception or maybe they'll be willing to disclose this info upon request maybe? Unlikely but I wish.

Also, we talked about this subject in the DM's so I thought I would mention it here. Do you guys want to see Fanart of the Day return? Or even Fanart of the Week? It was a series I ran in the Spring last year and I would be happy to do it again provided there's enough engagement here. We could also have AW-related discussions and talk about aspects of the game itself. I think it would be really interesting and a good way to boost this thread's traffic. Let me know what you guys think!

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Very exciting to see Wargroove nominated! Even though it'll probably get bowled over by FE3H despite being much better as a strategy game (and I loved FE3H), the more attention it gets, the better. Hopefully Nintendo is taking notes!

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So I got a little curious about what games Intelligent Systems has made as part of a crazy theory for Fire Emblem Heroes (it's not likely to happen, trust me), which led to me looking into Super Famicom Wars for a bit. As it turns out, there was a fan-translation released back in 2018, and that got me curious if there was any named CO's back then (aside from Samus having an appearance in one of the games, I didn't know exactly when CO's started being treated as characters proper). Well, it turns out, there were... and apparently, one of them is named "Billy Gates", who is the son of a millionare.

I don't know if that was in the original or if it was added in the translation, but it managed to put a smile on my face.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So I got a little curious about what games Intelligent Systems has made as part of a crazy theory for Fire Emblem Heroes (it's not likely to happen, trust me), which led to me looking into Super Famicom Wars for a bit. As it turns out, there was a fan-translation released back in 2018, and that got me curious if there was any named CO's back then (aside from Samus having an appearance in one of the games, I didn't know exactly when CO's started being treated as characters proper). Well, it turns out, there were... and apparently, one of them is named "Billy Gates", who is the son of a millionare.

I don't know if that was in the original or if it was added in the translation, but it managed to put a smile on my face.
That's really cool. I should look into that fan translation, maybe I can actually play a new (for me) Wars game in 2019 after all!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So yeah, i'm curious to know what you guys think about bringing back Fanart of the Day/Week and having discussions about the game itself. I think it could make for interesting topics about our experiences with the series.

Let me know what you think!
Very exciting to see Wargroove nominated! Even though it'll probably get bowled over by FE3H despite being much better as a strategy game (and I loved FE3H), the more attention it gets, the better. Hopefully Nintendo is taking notes!
Prob but never say never. And I hope Wargroove even being nominated gets Nintendo's attention somehow.

Super Famicom Wars had plently of funny CO's. Granted in today age I don't think they would go over very well. I mean "Hetler" would be cause of controversy all over the internet if it happened now. I guess it's just the times and whatnot.

That being said, I would love for Advance Wars to have an FEH kind of deal where all the CO's return in one mobile game and are fully voice acted. It would be really funny how they would handle Billy Gates and Hetler lmao!
That's really cool. I should look into that fan translation, maybe I can actually play a new (for me) Wars game in 2019 after all!
For sure! Most people don't even know Nintendo Wars started before 2001 so they need to see how the series evolved before it became the Advance Wars we all know and love.

Also, I emplore everyone to try out the English patch for Super Famicom Wars. It's going to feel kinda weird going from Advance Wars to that game but it's still good for what it's worth and also has some different unit types not in AW.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So yeah, i'm curious to know what you guys think about bringing back Fanart of the Day/Week and having discussions about the game itself. I think it could make for interesting topics about our experiences with the series.

Let me know what you think!

Prob but never say never. And I hope Wargroove even being nominated gets Nintendo's attention somehow.

Super Famicom Wars had plently of funny CO's. Granted in today age I don't think they would go over very well. I mean "Hetler" would be cause of controversy all over the internet if it happened now. I guess it's just the times and whatnot.

That being said, I would love for Advance Wars to have an FEH kind of deal where all the CO's return in one mobile game and are fully voice acted. It would be really funny how they would handle Billy Gates and Hetler lmao!

For sure! Most people don't even know Nintendo Wars started before 2001 so they need to see how the series evolved before it became the Advance Wars we all know and love.

Also, I emplore everyone to try out the English patch for Super Famicom Wars. It's going to feel kinda weird going from Advance Wars to that game but it's still good for what it's worth and also has some different unit types not in AW.
You had me at "Hetler".

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
You had me at "Hetler".
Yeah, imagine the reaction online to a parody character like Hetler if it were revealed like in a Direct or something. That would really be quite the ****show.

I just want to see all the CO's come together for one game like FEH. We can see how the different styles blend like happy-go-luck Wars World, the dark, grim style of Days of Ruin, and the wackiness of the Super Famicom Wars style. Maybe throw in some Battalion Wars CO's as well somehow? If IntSys were ever willing to reference Kuju Entertainment's work like that.

...or even bring Advance Wars back to start lol.

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Today Nintendo announced what games will go on this month for Nintendo Switch Online NES. Unfortunately Famicom Wars is only on the Japanese version.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Today Nintendo announced what games will go on this month for Nintendo Switch Online NES. Unfortunately Famicom Wars is only on the Japanese version.

Oh well, wouldn't have expected a more text-heavy title like Famicom Wars to get dumped on our NSO anyway. But, y'know, it would be cool if they were willing to put, like, just a small team of translators to localize, maybe one game a month or every other month? Considering we're giving them money for nothing, that would certainly be giving value to the purchase imo.

Though having Star Fox 2 widely available is pretty cool, glad to see them stop sitting on some games after all the years, first Earthbound Zero and now this, makes you wonder what old title is going to become a new Nintendo classic.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Hmm...

> Famicom Wars drops on Dec 12th on the NSO...

> The VGA's are also on Dec 12th...

Y'all know what that means??? :confused::surprised:

It just means i'm reaching lol. Nothing to it.

That being said, with all these mass deconfirmations in the past month, it would be absoutely hilarious if Andy/Sami somehow slipped by without anyone ever considering them as a possibility. The probability of this happening is about 0.0000001% but hot damn it would be the most glorious thing ever lmao!
Oh well, wouldn't have expected a more text-heavy title like Famicom Wars to get dumped on our NSO anyway. But, y'know, it would be cool if they were willing to put, like, just a small team of translators to localize, maybe one game a month or every other month? Considering we're giving them money for nothing, that would certainly be giving value to the purchase imo.

Though having Star Fox 2 widely available is pretty cool, glad to see them stop sitting on some games after all the years, first Earthbound Zero and now this, makes you wonder what old title is going to become a new Nintendo classic.
I mean, is Famicom Wars really that text heavy? It's literally some menu options, some logo's, and a few other things to translate. If it were an Advance Wars-like game with it's own campaign sure but it wouldn't take much effort for FW. Plus with it going to be a while til' GBA games come to the NSO, having a localized Famicom Wars would be nice in the interim.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I mean, is Famicom Wars really that text heavy? It's literally some menu options, some logo's, and a few other things to translate.
Oh, I dunno, I just assumed it would be pretty text-heavy. But still, it is the kind of game that needs menus translated, so if they aren't willing to put in the work then they can't really release it worldwide.

Though Murasame shows that they will do translations of it's not too much work, so who knows.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Oh, I dunno, I just assumed it would be pretty text-heavy. But still, it is the kind of game that needs menus translated, so if they aren't willing to put in the work then they can't really release it worldwide.

Though Murasame shows that they will do translations of it's not too much work, so who knows.
Funny that you mention this because this was an article Nintendo Life put out today in regards to this topic.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/12/hey_nintendo_can_we_please_have_famicom_wars

Unlikely to happen yes but maybe there might be a move to get FW localized in the future one day. I'd like that anyways and there was literally a Three Houses producer who said he wanted to remake Famicom Wars. Which is actually hilarious considering FW has no story and it would essentially be a new game entirely with new characters.

An unrelated topic but if it wasn't for Advance Wars having the 4 Spirits in the base game, I honestly believe it would be a perfect fit for the Fighters Pass. Seeing as how they all fit the theme of historic relevance to gaming history. Persona through SMT, Dragon Quest being the godfather of JRPG's, Banjo-Kazooie being platformer icons of N64, and Fatal Fury/KoF being a legendary fighting game series from the 90's.

Wars was one of the first TBS strategy games ever on a home console IIRC. If it wasn't, it must have been one of the most early ones. It was also the reason FE came to be (FE1 uses the engine from Famicom Wars) and of course, the reason why FE and other complex games were allowed to make it to the West. I feel in that regard and the fact that it's Nintendo's longest running franchise yet to be included in Smash that it would fit like a glove in the FP. It also has over 3 Million in sales across all it's installments so it's not completly in the realm of "literally who" and is one of the most critically acclaimed titles of all time.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Funny that you mention this because this was an article Nintendo Life put out today in regards to this topic.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/12/hey_nintendo_can_we_please_have_famicom_wars

Unlikely to happen yes but maybe there might be a move to get FW localized in the future one day. I'd like that anyways and there was literally a Three Houses producer who said he wanted to remake Famicom Wars. Which is actually hilarious considering FW has no story and it would essentially be a new game entirely with new characters.

An unrelated topic but if it wasn't for Advance Wars having the 4 Spirits in the base game, I honestly believe it would be a perfect fit for the Fighters Pass. Seeing as how they all fit the theme of historic relevance to gaming history. Persona through SMT, Dragon Quest being the godfather of JRPG's, Banjo-Kazooie being platformer icons of N64, and Fatal Fury/KoF being a legendary fighting game series from the 90's.

Wars was one of the first TBS strategy games ever on a home console IIRC. If it wasn't, it must have been one of the most early ones. It was also the reason FE came to be (FE1 uses the engine from Famicom Wars) and of course, the reason why FE and other complex games were allowed to make it to the West. I feel in that regard and the fact that it's Nintendo's longest running franchise yet to be included in Smash that it would fit like a glove in the FP. It also has over 3 Million in sales across all it's installments so it's not completly in the realm of "literally who" and is one of the most critically acclaimed titles of all time.
Now that you mention it, Fire Emblem Gaiden barely had any story, apparently (or at least, most of it was exclusive to the manuel). As a result, when Shadows of Valentia became a thing, they heavily expanded upon the story, adding characters that weren't in the original, and even
revealing the origins of Grima, the main antagonist of Awakening.

Maybe that's the main logic for a Famicom Wars remake: take the original game, and expand upon it. That's just my take, though.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Now that you mention it, Fire Emblem Gaiden barely had any story, apparently (or at least, most of it was exclusive to the manuel). As a result, when Shadows of Valentia became a thing, they heavily expanded upon the story, adding characters that weren't in the original, and even
revealing the origins of Grima, the main antagonist of Awakening.

Maybe that's the main logic for a Famicom Wars remake: take the original game, and expand upon it. That's just my take, though.
I actually had no idea about that. I assumed most of that remake was a 1:1 port of the original mostly so that's interesting. But yeah, any kind of remake of Famicom Wars is essentially going to be a new story of it's own. Given that story based AW's weren't a thing until the GBA. I mean if you're going to do that, it's a much better idea to just do a new game outright with a new setting altogether. Maybe sprinkle some old Famicom Wars elements like the nostalgic sound effects and keep the "Red Star" & "Blue Moon" nations intact but otherwise it's completly new.

It would actually be hilarious if whatever remake is actually a prequel to 2001's Advance Wars but like, the story of Advance Wars is silly enough so why bother lol. In any case, I hope the 3H producer (Masahiro Higuchi) gets his chance to work on AW again because from all the interviews he gives, it sounds like he's really itching to return to the series. Just as much as we are from the sounds of it.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So there's been a bit of an... "event" surrounding Wargroove's DLC (I won't go into much detail, since it's technically off-topic), and now I have a queation to ask: if Advance Wars were to come back, do you think it should have voice acting? If so, who do you want to see voice who?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So there's been a bit of an... "event" surrounding Wargroove's DLC (I won't go into much detail, since it's technically off-topic), and now I have a queation to ask: if Advance Wars were to come back, do you think it should have voice acting? If so, who do you want to see voice who?
This is actually a topic I wanted to talk about with you guys and one that was discussed last year as well.

In regards to voice acting, I hope Advance Wars gets something akin to what FE got with the 3DS/Switch games. And also maybe a mobile title as well akin to FEH. I had a few casting choices in mind assuming AW gets a similar VA pool to the FE one.

Andy - Bryce Papenbrook (Bryce does Red in PKMN Origins & Zidane in Dissidia Final Fantasy so he's my ideal pick for Andy given I imagine him sounding like that).

Sami - Erica Lindbeck (Erica does Celica in FE:SoV as well as Cassie in MK11. I imagine Sami sounding like Cassie but with less sass and more kawaii lol).

Max - Matthew Mercer (Mercer is most recognized for his role as Chrom in FEA and I imagine Max sounding like a more gruff Chrom haha).

Nell - Karen Strassman (Karen does Anna in FE. I imagine Nell sounding like that but maybe the voice is a tad bit deeper).

Olaf - Christopher Sabat (Olaf is a character I imagine Sabat doing well like his role in FMA Brotherhood. Comical but serious at the same time).

Sonja - Stephanie Sheh (Stephanie does Hinata from Naruto so imagine that but more boastful given Sonja's tendency to brag lol).

Eagle - Yuri Lowenthal (Yuri almost fits Eagle to a tee seeing as that's typically the kind of character he voices. Imagine Marth but more cocky sounding).

Hawke - Richard Epcar (Ideally, I would have Hawke voiced by Clancy Brown but Epcar would be great in the role as well. I kinda imagine his Raiden voice for Hawke but obviously in a more darker way).

Sturm - Xander Mobus (Sturm is kinda a Saturday morning cartoon-esque villain so that's not too far off from Master Hand. Xander could play Sturm in that he's intimidating but has an over-the-top, comical sounding voice to him lol).

I haven't really thought about voices for Grit, Kanbei, Drake, Flak, Lash, and Adder. Along with the other CO's from Dual Strike & Days of Ruin. If you guys have any idea for who might be an ideal fit let me know because i'm really curious to hear your casting choices! That goes for the other characters I mentioned here if you think someone else would be better suited to voice them.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
What I'm seeing here is that we now also rooting for a Famicom Wars remake?

Super down with that.

BTW Ura Ura the idea of retrofitting it into an AW prequel is genius. That's how you remake a game while also rebooting a series and bringing in old and new fans alike.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
What I'm seeing here is that we now also rooting for a Famicom Wars remake?

Super down with that.

BTW Ura Ura the idea of retrofitting it into an AW prequel is genius. That's how you remake a game while also rebooting a series and bringing in old and new fans alike.
Ehh, not so much a FW remake than just localizing the NES game for the West. And maybe Super Famicom Wars eventually? Pretty please? :)

In any case, my stance is that a new AW needs to have a new setting outright with older CO's having cameo's in multiplayer mode and the War Room. I feel it's the best way to introduce new players to this series but I guess a few nods here and there to the older games would be fine haha.

Also C chocolatejr9 don't worry about being too off-topic. We could use the activity around here anyways seeing as this place could use some more traffic. Not to mention anything to do with Wargroove is on-topic here given similarties to AW.

Last edited:
Top Bottom