• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orange Star's Hyperactive Whiz Kid! - Andy For Smash Ultimate! We'll Live To Fight Another Day...

Favorite Advance Wars Game (Not Including pre-AW and Battalion Wars)

• Total voters

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I wrote a moveset for Andy, mostly because I was feeling inspired. I based it more around the idea of the CO's working together to command their troops, just with Andy being the troop in this case. He uses his wrenches instead of guns or whatever, mostly because it felt cooler. I'd love feedback if you have any <3

Concept:
In Advance Wars, the Commanding Officers (AKA the only actual characters) never truly fight, at least not really. They command an army and send out troops. So, while this moveset is for Andy, it will focus on CO's offering their help to their troops, with Andy being the troop in this case. This same moveset COULD theoretically work for a generic infantry unit, if not for the fact that Andy's wrenches will be used as weapons in this moveset.

Stats:
Below average movement on the ground and in the air, slightly lighter than Mario, only one double jump, average aerial aceleration, average dodge frame data, etc etc. Andy is specifically an all-around jack-of-all-trades in AW, so his stats will reflect that, but be slightly worse than average. This is because his special moves will allow him to be above average.

Normals:
Most of his normals will be fairly standard attacks, about what you'd expect for a guy holding two wrenches. They'll have small disjoints, but be quick and do decent damage. Comparable to Joker's daggers, but slightly slower and slightly stronger.

Jab- Classic 1 2 punch with an uppercut finisher, just with the wrenches in his hands for extra weight.
F-Tilt/U-Tilt- Andy holds one wrench out in the held direction and spins it for a moment, multihit disjoint.
D-Tilt- A two-hit move like some F-Tilts, a leg sweep followed by a step forward while swinging the wrench underhand.
Dash-Attack- A small tank appears and Andy rides it for a moment before hopping out. The tank disappears after the move finishes. Somewhat of a reference to the AW1 title screen/boxart.

N-Air- A horizontal spin with arms outstretched.
F-Air/B-Air- A quick swing of one wrench forward/backward, covering a decent amount of space.
U-Air- Lifts up both wrenches like his AW1 art, good juggling tool.
D-Air- Andy flips upside down and hits below him once with each wrench. Second hit spikes. Slow move overall, long landing lag.

Andy puts away his wrenches for his smash attacks and summons units from the games, in their pixel art forms.
F-Smash- He points forward, summoning an infantry unit that fires a machine gun multhihit attack. Functions like Mii Gunner F-Smash, lower to the ground.
U-Smash- He points upward, and two Anti-Air units shoot above him in an X pattern, similar multihit to F-Smash.
D-Smash- He puts his hand to his mouth to whistle, and a Bomber flies above him dropping bombs from behind to in front of him to cover both sides. Drops 5 bombs total.

Generic grab/pummel/throws.

Specials:
Up Special- Eagle's Lightning Drive
Eagle appears behind Andy, grabbing him as they both fly up with a trail of lightning behind them. Can be angled a bit left/right. Functions like Pit's Up B but with a strong hitbox reminiscent of Lucas's PK Thunder 2.

Side Special- Grit's Snipe Attack
Grit appears behind Andy and fires a bazooka forward. It travels quickly and does more damage the farther it travels.

Down Special- Sonja's Counter Break
Sonja Appears in front of Andy as a "shield" of sorts. If she gets attacked, she'll either counter normal attacks or reflect projectiles. If she succeeds, she salutes before leaving. If she does nothing, she shrugs before disappearing. Once she's summoned, Andy can move while she's still there for a moment.

Neutral Special- CO Meter Charge/CO Power/Super CO Power
Andy will have a CO meter above his portrait, that charges up every time he lands a successful attack. Neutral Special can also charge the meter, as long as it isn't fully charged. When a CO Power is available, this move functions similarly to Shulk's Monado Arts, allowing you to choose between Andy, Max, and Sami's CO powers, which will be signified with the character's head. The meter can be charged further past that, allowing you to use Super CO Powers when the meter can't be charged anymore.

Andy CO Power- Hyper Repair/Hyper Upgrade
Activating Andy's CO Power will heal Andy 10% (20% with super CO power) and make him heavier for 20 seconds. This option is best for when you want to stay alive, since the CO Meter obviously won't stay with you when you die.

Max CO Power- Max Force/Max Blast
Activating Max's CO Power will create a small (larger with super CO) explosion that has decent kill power, and then make all of Andy's attacks deal more damage/knockback for 20 seconds. Best for finishing off opponents that are at high percents, or potentially getting early kills.

Sami CO Power- Double Time/Victory March
Activating Sami's CO Power will let you start with a small amount of meter instead of none of it once the effect wears off, (slightly more with super CO) and then increase Andy's speed/air speed/fall speed for 20 seconds.

Nell CO Power- Lucky Star/Lady Luck
Whenever you activate a CO Power, it has a small chance (~15%) to be replaced by Nell's CO power instead. Nell's CO Power has no special effect upon activation, but will give you the buffs of all the other three powers (weight, damage/knockback, speed) for 10 seconds.

Final Smash- Meteor Strike
Andy manages to get help from Sturm, calling a meteor in to crash into the battlefield in front of him, potentially taking out several opponents.
That's a really creative take, I've never seen a moveset where Andy gets help from other COs; I quite like it, it displays a lot of variety and shows off the amount of colorful COs and their different powers, while still feeling like a strategic kind of fighter.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
That's a really creative take, I've never seen a moveset where Andy gets help from other COs; I quite like it, it displays a lot of variety and shows off the amount of colorful COs and their different powers, while still feeling like a strategic kind of fighter.
Thanks! That means a lot. The special moves requiring the other CO's is especially important for making it feel strategic, because while Andy wouldn't have much lag, he can't spam them because the other CO's have to leave before he can use them again. (I just realized I never explained that in the moveset itself, whoops.)

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I wrote a moveset for Andy, mostly because I was feeling inspired. I based it more around the idea of the CO's working together to command their troops, just with Andy being the troop in this case. He uses his wrenches instead of guns or whatever, mostly because it felt cooler. I'd love feedback if you have any <3

Concept:
In Advance Wars, the Commanding Officers (AKA the only actual characters) never truly fight, at least not really. They command an army and send out troops. So, while this moveset is for Andy, it will focus on CO's offering their help to their troops, with Andy being the troop in this case. This same moveset COULD theoretically work for a generic infantry unit, if not for the fact that Andy's wrenches will be used as weapons in this moveset.

Stats:
Below average movement on the ground and in the air, slightly lighter than Mario, only one double jump, average aerial aceleration, average dodge frame data, etc etc. Andy is specifically an all-around jack-of-all-trades in AW, so his stats will reflect that, but be slightly worse than average. This is because his special moves will allow him to be above average.

Normals:
Most of his normals will be fairly standard attacks, about what you'd expect for a guy holding two wrenches. They'll have small disjoints, but be quick and do decent damage. Comparable to Joker's daggers, but slightly slower and slightly stronger.

Jab- Classic 1 2 punch with an uppercut finisher, just with the wrenches in his hands for extra weight.
F-Tilt/U-Tilt- Andy holds one wrench out in the held direction and spins it for a moment, multihit disjoint.
D-Tilt- A two-hit move like some F-Tilts, a leg sweep followed by a step forward while swinging the wrench underhand.
Dash-Attack- A small tank appears and Andy rides it for a moment before hopping out. The tank disappears after the move finishes. Somewhat of a reference to the AW1 title screen/boxart.

F-Air/B-Air- A quick swing of one wrench forward/backward, covering a decent amount of space.
D-Air- Andy flips upside down and hits below him once with each wrench. Second hit spikes. Slow move overall, long landing lag.

Andy puts away his wrenches for his smash attacks and summons units from the games, in their pixel art forms.
F-Smash- He points forward, summoning an infantry unit that fires a machine gun multhihit attack. Functions like Mii Gunner F-Smash, lower to the ground.
U-Smash- He points upward, and two Anti-Air units shoot above him in an X pattern, similar multihit to F-Smash.
D-Smash- He puts his hand to his mouth to whistle, and a Bomber flies above him dropping bombs from behind to in front of him to cover both sides. Drops 5 bombs total.

Specials:
Up/Side/Down special all have another CO appear to help Andy. These moves have very little startup and endlag, with the other CO doing the move itself. However, he can't use these moves again until after the CO has left, making them impossible to use in quick succession.

Eagle appears behind Andy, grabbing him as they both fly up with a trail of lightning behind them. Can be angled a bit left/right. Functions like Pit's Up B but with a strong hitbox reminiscent of Lucas's PK Thunder 2.

Grit appears behind Andy and fires a bazooka forward. It travels quickly and does more damage the farther it travels.

Sonja Appears in front of Andy as a "shield" of sorts. If she gets attacked, she'll either counter normal attacks or reflect projectiles. If she succeeds, she salutes before leaving. If she does nothing, she shrugs before disappearing. Once she's summoned, Andy can move while she's still there for a moment.

Andy will have a CO meter above his portrait, that charges up every time he lands a successful attack. Neutral Special can also charge the meter, as long as it isn't fully charged. When a CO Power is available, this move functions similarly to Shulk's Monado Arts, allowing you to choose between Andy, Max, and Sami's CO powers, which will be signified with the character's head. The meter can be charged further past that, allowing you to use Super CO Powers when the meter can't be charged anymore.

Activating Andy's CO Power will heal Andy 10% (20% with super CO power) and make him heavier for 20 seconds. This option is best for when you want to stay alive, since the CO Meter obviously won't stay with you when you die.

Activating Max's CO Power will create a small (larger with super CO) explosion that has decent kill power, and then make all of Andy's attacks deal more damage/knockback for 20 seconds. Best for finishing off opponents that are at high percents, or potentially getting early kills.

Activating Sami's CO Power will let you start with a small amount of meter instead of none of it once the effect wears off, (slightly more with super CO) and then increase Andy's speed/air speed/fall speed for 20 seconds.

Whenever you activate a CO Power, it has a small chance (~15%) to be replaced by Nell's CO power instead. Nell's CO Power has no special effect upon activation, but will give you the buffs of all the other three powers (weight, damage/knockback, speed) for 10 seconds.

Andy manages to get help from Sturm, calling a meteor in to crash into the battlefield in front of him, potentially taking out several opponents.
Awesome sauce dude! I haven't read the entire thing since i'm going to bed soon but i'll give a detailed write-up tomorrow.

I gotta say though. The CO's being implemented in the moveset sounds really creative. I legit never thought of that idea until now. I mean I thought of a Fund system and a CO Power Meter but like...not the actual CO's coming in to help Andy lol.

Also, Sturm helping Andy in his FS. That's helluva OoC but I love it lmao. Personally, I imagined Sturm as a stage hazard on an AW stage that could be summoned and throwing a big ass meteor on the stage.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Awesome sauce dude! I haven't read the entire thing since i'm going to bed soon but i'll give a detailed write-up tomorrow.

I gotta say though. The CO's being implemented in the moveset sounds really creative. I legit never thought of that idea until now. I mean I thought of a Fund system and a CO Power Meter but like...not the actual CO's coming in to help Andy lol.

Also, Sturm helping Andy in his FS. That's helluva OoC but I love it lmao. Personally, I imagined Sturm as a stage hazard on an AW stage that could be summoned and throwing a big *** meteor on the stage.
It's definitely out of character, but it'd be badass. The alternative would be something like Mega Man or Hero's final smash where all the COs team up to do a strong attack... but that's boring. Giant meteor time.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It's definitely out of character, but it'd be badass. The alternative would be something like Mega Man or Hero's final smash where all the COs team up to do a strong attack... but that's boring. Giant meteor time.
Yeah, Mega Man FS is cool but I think it's become a very easy and kind of cheap way to get fanservice points.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, Mega Man FS is cool but I think it's become a very easy and kind of cheap way to get fanservice points.
Everything has to be done fast so that battles end faster, because Ultimate is fast. And in fairness having all the DQ heroes as alts would have been impossible...

Anyway, I assume the meteor could be executed like a combination of PK Starstorm (but diagonally) and a Smart Bomb item.

If Andy has to borrow abilities from his friends, there's nothing that can stop them from doing that. :ultness::ultlucas:

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Alright, since I never actually beat Advance Wars (I just got to the final boss and gave up because I'm terrible at strategy games) I'm gonna replay it from the beginning with a guide on-hand so I can experience everything it has finally. Wish me luck.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Concept:

Stats:

Normals:

Specials:
Up/Side/Down special all have another CO appear to help Andy. These moves have very little startup and endlag, with the other CO doing the move itself. However, he can't use these moves again until after the CO has left, making them impossible to use in quick succession.

Okay! As promised, here's my detailed review for the moveset.

- Advance Wars CO's aren't showed fighting but it's inferred that they do fight on the battlefield. This is evident with a lot of concept art and of course, the boxart with Andy, Sami, & Max riding in a tank.

- Yeah Andy being the standard for all units in Advance Wars should be carried over to Smash. So having stats akin to Mario would work although he should be lighter.

- Nice takes for the wrench attacks! Andy having innovative offense using his wrenches is what I envisioned myself. With the summoner moveset, he'd be able to repair his units as well.

- Andy having a dash attack where he briefly rides in a tank is really neat! Reminds me of my old moveset that had Andy riding in a Tank as his down special. Suffice to say, it didn't age well lol.

- I personally think the Infantry F-Smash might be a bit too slow as a Smash attack but it's fine. I would rather have most of the units be summonable but that's the moveset I envisioned.

- Love the Anti-Air U-Smash. Although I think a neat touch would be to have it do twice the normal damage to airbound foes referencing how lethal the units are against air units in Advance Wars. RIP :ultjigglypuff:lmao.

- Having a hard time envisioning the Bomber D-Smash. The animation in my head looks a bit awkward but it sounds neat. I had a Bomber special as Andy's Up Special at one point.

- Again, I think your CO idea of them coming to aid Andy is really unique and different but I would keep it to a minimum maybe. Like maybe having it be a Neutral Special only if at all. I need to consider the implementation of this better,

- Eagle's special seems really funny to imagine. That being said, I like the T/B-Copter idea better since it would give Andy great recovery tools and would look less silly lol.

- Sturm being Andy's FS I can't see happening nor do I really want to see it but it does sound really funny thinking about it haha. I like the Megatank Final Smash idea better with Max coming in and laying waste to everyone.

So all in all, that was a great moveset. Some things I thought could be done better but those are personal gripes. I just prefer the summoner moveset better myself. And speaking of which, I need to get to work on my updated moveset.
Alright, since I never actually beat Advance Wars (I just got to the final boss and gave up because I'm terrible at strategy games) I'm gonna replay it from the beginning with a guide on-hand so I can experience everything it has finally. Wish me luck.
The last mission of AW1 is actually easy when you get the pattern. Basically, the mission's difficulty depends on the CO's you have. Ideally you want to have Max on the left side and either Kanbei or Eagle on the right. Of course, having Eagle on the right means you have to go through the dreaded Rivals mission which any AW fan will tell you is the absolute worst! :mad:

And the CO's other than Andy are decided depending on the routes you took on the Campaign. i.e. Taking an Andy route in one of the Olaf missions will get you either Max or Olaf in the final mission but going the Max route will get you Grit in the last mission. Likewise, doing all the Green Earth missions with Andy will get you Drake and doing them all with Sami will get you Eagle. There's more to it than this so be sure to check out a guide.

I have both GBA games memorized in my mind so it's like no sweat for me haha.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
There are also two tricks you can do to make that mission easier. It's somewhat cheating the system/AI, so not everyone likes to use them:
- For the first two Meteor Strikes, stick the Rockets, Missiles and one small Tank from one of your partners together. Meteor Strike always goes for the most expensive 3x3 diamond.
- Let Sturm capture that neutral airport in your base. He may use it to build a Fighter or Bomber with it and if you have a 10HP Missile in range, he wastes 20k that turn.

Man, The Final Battle was such a good 'final' map. It looks like you're about to lose against a stronger opponent, but eventually you manage to turn the tides and you beat Sturm.
It's a little disappointing the other three games turned their campaign's final mission into a 'destroy this thing in x days' map.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
There are also two tricks you can do to make that mission easier. It's somewhat cheating the system/AI, so not everyone likes to use them:
- For the first two Meteor Strikes, stick the Rockets, Missiles and one small Tank from one of your partners together. Meteor Strike always goes for the most expensive 3x3 diamond.
- Let Sturm capture that neutral airport in your base. He may use it to build a Fighter or Bomber with it and if you have a 10HP Missile in range, he wastes 20k that turn.

Man, The Final Battle was such a good 'final' map. It looks like you're about to lose against a stronger opponent, but eventually you manage to turn the tides and you beat Sturm.
It's a little disappointing the other three games turned their campaign's final mission into a 'destroy this thing in x days' map.
You know, that airport strat is legit something I never thought about until now. In all my previous runs, I either got Andy to quickly capture that Airport closest to him or I would routinely block anything from being built there if Sturm managed to capture it. Of course the setback being that Andy gets pummeled really hard in the early goings of the mission and it's not until Day 5-7ish that he's able to mount a comeback.

If one were to have someone like Grit or Sami in that mission (who are less effective CO's for the last mission), they could be used as Meteor fodder for Sturm and will allow for Andy to not have his momentum destroyed as easily. Of course, I would never want Grit for this mission because his long-range units are too slow to produce and when they do get there, they're never in position to fire or alternatively, they're fodder for Sturm before they do anything worthwhile lol.

Max/Kanbei are by far the best combination. Max can produce smaller tanks that are relatively cheaper and once he has the airport in his section, Sturm is royally screwed haha. And double so given how broken AW1 Max is and how Sturm has reduced defense power in the first game (the second game? you wish lmao). I would say Eagle is the best CO to have on the right side and technically he is given how effective his air units/CO Power is but as I said before, the Rivals mission is the dread for any AW player and that comes after the last mission should you have Eagle. Kanbei is still very effective so I consider him just as valuable. But getting him means doing the Sonja bonus missions and doing that on Hard mode is a nightmare. Shouldn't be a problem for the Normal Campaign though.

In a way, this really makes it seem like the game rewarding you through going through harder missions right? Getting the better CO's by doing certain requirements and if you took the cheap, easy route you're left with the pushovers for the mission. And even more so given you have to play all the different routes to unlock all the CO's meaning you'll replay Campaign at least 4 times. This is really unpractical and i'm glad the follow up sequel; Black Hole Rising made unlocking CO's a lot more streamlined and easy to get. Doing the Campaign once will unlock you 90% of the cast in AW2 IIRC.

The follow up games did have pretty generic "do this in X amount of time" so I do appreciate AW1's last boss more so in that regard. I still loved the setup for the last mission in AW2 and the whole "this missile will wipe out half of humanity" thing. Even if the mission is easy and whatnot, the ending sequence where Andy doesn't back down to Sturm is easily my favorite in the series. It showed how much balls the kid has and is easily why he's my favorite CO in the game. Even for a game that's light on story elements and more renowned for it's gameplay.

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Okay! As promised, here's my detailed review for the moveset.

- Advance Wars CO's aren't showed fighting but it's inferred that they do fight on the battlefield. This is evident with a lot of concept art and of course, the boxart with Andy, Sami, & Max riding in a tank.
Yeah I know, I was just saying we never SEE them fight, as in there's no attacks they use in-game that you can steal, really.

- Andy having a dash attack where he briefly rides in a tank is really neat! Reminds me of my old moveset that had Andy riding in a Tank as his down special. Suffice to say, it didn't age well lol.
I really wanted him to have a tank in his moveset, but it didn't feel right making it one of his smash attacks, so I basically just made Bowser Jr's side b into a dash attack, lmao.

- I personally think the Infantry F-Smash might be a bit too slow as a Smash attack but it's fine. I would rather have most of the units be summonable but that's the moveset I envisioned.
It wouldn't have to be slow at all, I was imagining that the infantry unit would appear immediately (I.E. on frame 1) and then the only start-up is the time it takes Andy to point. The unit would fire like 3 or 4 frames after the pointing finishes.

- Love the Anti-Air U-Smash. Although I think a neat touch would be to have it do twice the normal damage to airbound foes referencing how lethal the units are against air units in Advance Wars. RIP :ultjigglypuff:lmao.
Considering it goes straight upwards, the only way it could really hit grounded opponents is if they were on a platform or right next to Andy, but that would be a fun reference.

- Having a hard time envisioning the Bomber D-Smash. The animation in my head looks a bit awkward but it sounds neat. I had a Bomber special as Andy's Up Special at one point.
Here, I made a (terribly drawn) visualization, if it helps!

[gif]

- Again, I think your CO idea of them coming to aid Andy is really unique and different but I would keep it to a minimum maybe. Like maybe having it be a Neutral Special only if at all. I need to consider the implementation of this better,
Neutral Special doesn't have the other CO actually appear on screen, since it works mostly like Shulk's Monado arts (just with a charge meter before you can use it.) I think having the COs show up on-screen for his other attacks just make it feel more complete.

- Eagle's special seems really funny to imagine. That being said, I like the T/B-Copter idea better since it would give Andy great recovery tools and would look less silly lol.
Eagle and Andy give each other a bro hug before flying straight upwards. Definitely completely serious and not silly at all. Advance Wars, at least from my experience, isn't exactly a very serious game, though. The dialogue is really funny and slapstick at times. It fits, if you ask me.

- Sturm being Andy's FS I can't see happening nor do I really want to see it but it does sound really funny thinking about it haha. I like the Megatank Final Smash idea better with Max coming in and laying waste to everyone.
What if the way he gets Sturm to "help" is by tricking him, like placing a bunch of valuable units on the battlefield to bait Sturm into sending the meteor? It'd add another clever reference to game mechanics while also feeling more in character. I just didn't want his FS to be generic.

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Yeah I know, I was just saying we never SEE them fight, as in there's no attacks they use in-game that you can steal, really.

I really wanted him to have a tank in his moveset, but it didn't feel right making it one of his smash attacks, so I basically just made Bowser Jr's side b into a dash attack, lmao.

It wouldn't have to be slow at all, I was imagining that the infantry unit would appear immediately (I.E. on frame 1) and then the only start-up is the time it takes Andy to point. The unit would fire like 3 or 4 frames after the pointing finishes.

Considering it goes straight upwards, the only way it could really hit grounded opponents is if they were on a platform or right next to Andy, but that would be a fun reference.

[gif]

Neutral Special doesn't have the other CO actually appear on screen, since it works mostly like Shulk's Monado arts (just with a charge meter before you can use it.) I think having the COs show up on-screen for his other attacks just make it feel more complete.

Eagle and Andy give each other a bro hug before flying straight upwards. Definitely completely serious and not silly at all. Advance Wars, at least from my experience, isn't exactly a very serious game, though. The dialogue is really funny and slapstick at times. It fits, if you ask me.

What if the way he gets Sturm to "help" is by tricking him, like placing a bunch of valuable units on the battlefield to bait Sturm into sending the meteor? It'd add another clever reference to game mechanics while also feeling more in character. I just didn't want his FS to be generic.
Wow I thought your movesets were really inspiring, but that gif...now that's art! But seriously I'm really impressed with the movesets I've seen from you. I don't have very much knowledge of AW but I can see how much effort you put into making characters balanced, unique, and represented properly while also properly representing their franchise. Keep up the good work! I know making these isn't as easy as it might seem. The level of thought and care that goes into these shows especially when you're able to address concerns that others have about your movesets.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Wow I thought your movesets were really inspiring, but that gif...now that's art! But seriously I'm really impressed with the movesets I've seen from you. I don't have very much knowledge of AW but I can see how much effort you put into making characters balanced, unique, and represented properly while also properly representing their franchise. Keep up the good work! I know making these isn't as easy as it might seem. The level of thought and care that goes into these shows especially when you're able to address concerns that others have about your movesets.
You have no idea how happy this post makes me. Thank you so much <3

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So I know this idea is even more pie in the sky than Andy being in Smash but what if...

Both Andy & Sami were included in the Fighters Pass as a 2 in 1 deal? Like, both apart of Challenger Pack 4?

I know that sounds super unlikely and all but imagine if they both had a summoner moveset with Andy fighting with his wrenches and Sami being an in-between of :ultsnake:&:ultzss:?

While it seems really unlikely and it probably is, I don't think it's completely out of the realm of possibility. I know I talked about at length about Advance Wars possibly having a chance at DLC (see previous pages for that) but at the same time, I believe Andy and/or Sami can be put in to promote the return of this series if there was a plan to bring it back. As in, Intelligent Systems planned to make Advance Wars their next project after 3H or alternatively, it was being developed in-house Intelligent Systems around late-2017/early-2018 and it's going to be launched next year.

As I mentioned before, both with have a unique moveset to add to the Fighters Pass rather than having to sell on their own and on top of that, Sami has a look & aesthetic that would make her very marketable to female audiences. Something Nintendo wants to do with Smash DLC and appealing to broader demographics. Not super likely but it's something I really hope is the case and something I hope Nintendo can see the benefit of doing.

[gif]

Skimmed through these points, promise i'll get back to them sometime later. :)

Andy baiting Sturm is also super duper OoC lol. As Sami once said in the AW1 Campaign, Andy spends his whole day not thinking about things haha. Now if this were someone like Sami or Sonja, I could def see this happening.

But regardless, great moveset all in all.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So I know this idea is even more pie in the sky than Andy being in Smash but what if...

Both Andy & Sami were included in the Fighters Pass as a 2 in 1 deal? Like, both apart of Challenger Pack 4?

I know that sounds super unlikely and all but imagine if they both had a summoner moveset with Andy fighting with his wrenches and Sami being an in-between of :ultsnake:&:ultzss:?

While it seems really unlikely and it probably is, I don't think it's completely out of the realm of possibility. I know I talked about at length about Advance Wars possibly having a chance at DLC (see previous pages for that) but at the same time, I believe Andy and/or Sami can be put in to promote the return of this series if there was a plan to bring it back. As in, Intelligent Systems planned to make Advance Wars their next project after 3H or alternatively, it was being developed in-house Intelligent Systems around late-2017/early-2018 and it's going to be launched next year.

As I mentioned before, both with have a unique moveset to add to the Fighters Pass rather than having to sell on their own and on top of that, Sami has a look & aesthetic that would make her very marketable to female audiences. Something Nintendo wants to do with Smash DLC and appealing to broader demographics. Not super likely but it's something I really hope is the case and something I hope Nintendo can see the benefit of doing.

Skimmed through these points, promise i'll get back to them sometime later. :)

Andy baiting Sturm is also super duper OoC lol. As Sami once said in the AW1 Campaign, Andy spends his whole day not thinking about things haha. Now if this were someone like Sami or Sonja, I could def see this happening.

But regardless, great moveset all in all.
I really, really doubt this would happen. Even if AW were to make a comeback and even if they decided to include characters to promote it, I don't really see why they would go with two unique characters rather than just the one. Would probably get a lot of hate too.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I really, really doubt this would happen. Even if AW were to make a comeback and even if they decided to include characters to promote it, I don't really see why they would go with two unique characters rather than just the one. Would probably get a lot of hate too.
Well, I mean Sami would kind of be a :wolf:esque clone in that she borrows a lot from a lot of characters. Borrowing from :ultsnake: and :ultzss:' melee attacks and sharing the same purchasing system & Final Smash as Andy. She would only have a unique Machine Gun special and maybe slightly different animations but that's it.

So it's not too much of a hard sell IMO. People genuinely love Advance Wars and it's not like a :4corrin:situation where the series had so many characters beforehand. Honestly, I don't see anyway anyone could complain of "Advance Wars bias" because that's unironically the funniest thing to me lmao.

I think she would be in (hypothetically speaking) to broaden the appeal. A cool looking female character would make that Challenger Pack more marketable than say just Andy not to mention she could borrow a lot from the characters I mentioned. I gave it some thought and I honestly can see this as a possibility. Albeit a small one.

Also PokéfreakofBACON PokéfreakofBACON will get to your post later promise.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well, I mean Sami would kind of be a :wolf:esque clone in that she borrows a lot from a lot of characters. Borrowing from :ultsnake: and :ultzss:' melee attacks and sharing the same purchasing system & Final Smash as Andy. She would only have a unique Machine Gun special and maybe slightly different animations but that's it.

So it's not too much of a hard sell IMO. People genuinely love Advance Wars and it's not like a :4corrin:situation where the series had so many characters beforehand. Honestly, I don't see anyway anyone could complain of "Advance Wars bias" because that's unironically the funniest thing to me lmao.

I think she would be in (hypothetically speaking) to broaden the appeal. A cool looking female character would make that Challenger Pack more marketable than say just Andy not to mention she could borrow a lot from the characters I mentioned. I gave it some thought and I honestly can see this as a possibility. Albeit a small one.

Also PokéfreakofBACON PokéfreakofBACON will get to your post later promise.
Well, having a long-dead series get not one but two unique newcomers because it's getting a new game is the best way to get called a shill pick.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well, having a long-dead series get not one but two unique newcomers because it's getting a new game is the best way to get called a shill pick.
Well, I mean maybe you'll get like a pocket of those people but the vast majority wouldn't care. Like, not even a fraction of the controversy Corrin had in Smash 4. And anyone with that reaction will most likely come around in a week or two after release.

At least that's my take. I can't see why people would be too upset about that lol. But I do get where you're coming from don't get me wrong. Just that a two-in-one deal would be very attractive to the casual fan that's never heard of Advance Wars before.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Remember that WIP Andy model that was posted here? The 3D artist is finished with him.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Advance_Wars/comments/cwymoi/3d_andy_ive_been_workin_on/
Are you sure he's done with it? He just said he's been working on it but I don't recall him saying he was done.

In any case, i'm going to upload the image here for people who don't want to use the Reddit link.

Do you guys think we could see PM mods using this model in the future?

[gif]

Okay as promised, i'll go over what you said...

- True. I was just speaking more to the perception people have with Andy or any other AW character.

- My idea was to have most ground units purchasable but that's a clever idea as well.

- IDK I guess. It just seemed slow envisioning it in my mind but perhaps it could work out haha. From a competitive standpoint, I just think it might be a tad bit too predictable once the opponent see's the Infantry unit animation startup. I could be really wrong here though lol.

- I mean on stages where there isn't as many platforms, then yeah it is something to consider. The opponent; upon seeing an Anti-Air in play would know better than to not attack airbound so it's a consideration I suppose. It would also be the bane of every aerial based fighter in game or floaty, campy character in general lol.

- Ahh well that helps. I suppose that would be a really neat way of incorporating the Bomber unit. I envisioned it both as an Up B and as a Final Smash at different points before I just omitted it completely lol.

- I see. Well I suppose agree to disagree. CO concept is really neat & unique but I probably wouldn't use too much of that in my moveset personally.

- Andy & Eagle are actually rivals in AW1 and Eagle detests him for most of the story because he was tricked by Sturm in to believing Andy attacked Green Earth (along with the other nations). They do patch things up at the end of the story but it's weird thinking of them doing a bro hug lol. I still respect the creativity behind that idea though don't me wrong.

- I mean it's not like Andy's character is being really sly and cunning lol. I don't see how that would happen but it is a really neat move no lie. Just would rather have Sturm be a Stage Hazard. Personally, i'm much more in to the idea of Andy calling in Max to use a Megatank as his FS and everyone on stage gets blasted on the spot.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Chief...

This ain't it.

Ugh. These accounts remind me a lot of the horror stories ex-NRS employees had working on MK titles. From what I hear, it seems to be a very common occurrence in the gaming industry. I don't know if anything's likely to change but I hope there's some kind of serious reform in the industry so we'll start hearing less and less of these stories. The devs don't deserve to be overworked like that. Hell, even Undertale creator Toby Fox was victim to this manipulative practice. Something has to be done.

That being said, I wholeheartedly respect the time & effort the devs behind Wargroove put in for making such a kickass game. Even if shady things were happening behind the scenes in Wargroove's development, they have my appreciation along with everyone else grateful for keeping the Advance Wars spirit alive. It's thanks to them that we can point out, contrary to what some may think that Advance Wars can sell in the present age and that IntSys needs to give the franchise another go.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So as an aside, y'all probably heard the SNK news. What's your opinion on it? Personally, i'm kinda indifferent but i'll wait and see what kind of moveset said character brings. Based of the Milk-BOTASU rumor from last June, i'm thinking it's Nakoruru but then again I don't know much about SNK really lol.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Chief...

This ain't it.

Ugh. These accounts remind me a lot of the horror stories ex-NRS employees had working on MK titles. From what I hear, it seems to be a very common occurrence in the gaming industry. I don't know if anything's likely to change but I hope there's some kind of serious reform in the industry so we'll start hearing less and less of these stories. The devs don't deserve to be overworked like that. Hell, even Undertale creator Toby Fox was victim to this manipulative practice. Something has to be done.

That being said, I wholeheartedly respect the time & effort the devs behind Wargroove put in for making such a kickass game. Even if shady things were happening behind the scenes in Wargroove's development, they have my appreciation along with everyone else grateful for keeping the Advance Wars spirit alive. It's thanks to them that we can point out, contrary to what some may think that Advance Wars can sell in the present age and that IntSys needs to give the franchise another go.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So as an aside, y'all probably heard the SNK news. What's your opinion on it? Personally, i'm kinda indifferent but i'll wait and see what kind of moveset said character brings. Based of the Milk-BOTASU rumor from last June, i'm thinking it's Nakoruru but then again I don't know much about SNK really lol.
I've been told that the game industry needs a "union" of some kind, but I'm a little confused about what that means. However, it would apparently help workers, so it should be good.

As for SNK, I only know a few names, those being Terry Bogard, Athena, and Mai Shiranui. Other than that, I got nothing.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Chief...

This ain't it.

The milk thing is total bullcrap, the rest I'm iffy on. If real my money's on Terry. If fake then business as usual.

I've been told that the game industry needs a "union" of some kind, but I'm a little confused about what that means. However, it would apparently help workers, so it should be good.

As for SNK, I only know a few names, those being Terry Bogard, Athena, and Mai Shiranui. Other than that, I got nothing.
Is this sarcasm or do you actually not know what a union is?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
The milk thing is total bullcrap, the rest I'm iffy on. If real my money's on Terry. If fake then business as usual.

Not really. I hear Jim Sterling talking about it a lot, but I haven't taken the time to fully into it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Chief...

This ain't it.

Seeing how unlikely it is that it's anyone other than a "main" character (see Ryu), I have a hunch it could be one of the alts for Marco from Metal Slug.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Not really. I hear Jim Sterling talking about it a lot, but I haven't taken the time to fully into it.
Well, a union is basically workers uniting under a single banner, to be able to have a position of leverage when negotiating things like benefits, raises and stuff. So if something exploitative happens, the union can call for strikes and stuff like that.

I don't think it can solve problems like crunch but other stuff like discrimination sure.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Is there any reason why the Milk-BOTASU thing is fake? Because they predicted a female fighting character using a flying weapon. I think that could point to Nakoruru or Mai.

Then again, Terry is the face of SNK so it would probably be him I think. Of course this is information I hear others saying and I don't know jack about SNK lol.

Also, IIRC the Milk-BOTASU claim also stated that a fighter that "already appeared" would be in as well. That's pretty interesting.
Seeing how unlikely it is that it's anyone other than a "main" character (see Ryu), I have a hunch it could be one of the alts for Marco from Metal Slug.
Selfishly, I don't want a Metal Slug character because it would be too Advance Wars-ish lol. I mean Sami would most likely lose her niche so hard pass on that.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Is there any reason why the Milk-BOTASU thing is fake? Because they predicted a female fighting character using a flying weapon. I think that could point to Nakoruru or Mai.
It was just some rando on Twitter jerking people around. Didn't have anything to stand on. No more worth considering than any other riddle leak.
Also, IIRC the Milk-BOTASU claim also stated that a fighter that "already appeared" would be in as well. That's pretty interesting.
I think that was a different leak.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It was just some rando on Twitter jerking people around. Didn't have anything to stand on. No more worth considering than any other riddle leak.

I think that was a different leak.
I believe it was the same leak.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/510954966253436931/617820105463693441/unknown.png https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/510954966253436931/617820186895974429/unknown.png https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/510954966253436931/617820254885642242/unknown.png

I give it more credibility because it got things like all the DQ Heroes being male (no female alts) right, predicting Banjo, and predicting the VR mode thingy. And with all the SNK buzz, I could see this very well being right.

The thing is, i'm not too sure if "already appearing" is supposed to be a character that appeared before or a company represented in Smash already.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I believe it was the same leak.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/510954966253436931/617820105463693441/unknown.png https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/510954966253436931/617820186895974429/unknown.png https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/510954966253436931/617820254885642242/unknown.png

I give it more credibility because it got things like all the DQ Heroes being male (no female alts) right, predicting Banjo, and predicting the VR mode thingy. And with all the SNK buzz, I could see this very well being right.

The thing is, i'm not too sure if "already appearing" is supposed to be a character that appeared before or a company represented in Smash already.
Oh yeah then it's the same.

Keep in mind Banjo had already leaked when this person said Banjo. I don't think the rest is strong enough, especially when the remaining things are so vague they could be anything.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I'll be honest: I really don't trust the Milk-BOSATSU leak. There are a lot of weird things about that one. Plus, I think this leaker has nothing unique to their name (if he only leaked VR, then others have leaked it too. Hero with no female alts is... not impossible to guess, really).

I think a lot of people are giving it more credit than it deserves. With how long it has been between the post and now, I feel like the guy would have given us a name at this point. This is why I think most of these riddle leaks have nothing going for them, really.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'll be honest: I really don't trust the Milk-BOSATSU leak. There are a lot of weird things about that one. Plus, I think this leaker has nothing unique to their name (if he only leaked VR, then others have leaked it too. Hero with no female alts is... not impossible to guess, really).

I think a lot of people are giving it more credit than it deserves. With how long it has been between the post and now, I feel like the guy would have given us a name at this point. This is why I think most of these riddle leaks have nothing going for them, really.
Also, if he was implying a female SNK character, that's bunk because they'd either be an alt or be skipped over for the "main" character. As far as I'm concerned, any SNK fighting lead is fine as long as it isn't Ash Crimson.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So y'all heard the news. A Direct is happening tomorrow and it's most likely going to have Terry from SNK as a Smash reveal. Hayabusa is also gaining a lot of traction as Fighter 5 but i'm hoping for a curveball personally.

In regards to Advance Wars, I just hope anything related to the series gets announced tomorrow. Like, anything to do with the series whether that be...

- A new Switch game proper
- An Advance Wars collection or just a port of GBA AW on the EShop
- A mobile game of sorts
- A budget title exclusive to the EShop
- We get swerved big time and Fighter 5 is actually Andy (unlikely at this point but a man can dream)

Maybe just maybe one of these things will happen tomorrow.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
In regards to Ryu, it seems the leaker regarding that actually may have mixed things up and leaked him...for Warriors Orochi 4 Ultimate.
Was it really? I recall someone saying Hayabusa regularly shows up in Warriors games so maybe not?

But in any case, i'm still hoping for a Hitagi situation lol.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well I don't know. The 5Chan leak from ages ago claimed Ryu in its DLC roster, and there's barely anything from it that was proven right at all at this point. It'd have to be a lucky coincidence.
True that but then again Fatmanonice Fatmanonice has said he's heard Hayabusa's name being mentioned across several insiders. And Shifty has doubled down on his claims although it looks like he was wrong about Hayabusa being #4. I guess tomorrow is going to change the speculation scene for better or worse.

Top Bottom