• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orange Star's Hyperactive Whiz Kid! - Andy For Smash Ultimate! We'll Live To Fight Another Day...

Favorite Advance Wars Game (Not Including pre-AW and Battalion Wars)

• Total voters

SPEN18

Smash Lord
In some cases i'd argue having an AT is better than nothing.
yeah, AT is definitely better than nothing. Just not even close to the excitement of being playable, which is where the diappointment comes from, especially when there's a perceived decrease in the chances for DLC.

fwiw, I think a Brain Age rep would be great. no idea how it would work, but I think Sakurai could do it if he really tried.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
yeah, AT is definitely better than nothing. Just not even close to the excitement of being playable, which is where the diappointment comes from, especially when there's a perceived decrease in the chances for DLC.

fwiw, I think a Brain Age rep would be great. no idea how it would work, but I think Sakurai could do it if he really tried.
Well after :ultpiranha:i'd be hard pressed to think of any character Sakurai can't come up with lol.

I think literally every gaming character can have a moveset made for them now. So "no realizable moveset" might not be a sticking point against certain characters anymore lol.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Well after :ultpiranha:i'd be hard pressed to think of any character Sakurai can't come up with lol.

I think literally every gaming character can have a moveset made for them now. So "no realizable moveset" might not be a sticking point against certain characters anymore lol.
Another thing is that I think that "realizable moveset" scales somewhat with how important a character is in Sakurai's eyes. For example, even though Ridley was previously excluded because Sakurai couldn't get him to work, eventually he got in because he is a very important and popular character within his franchise, which was already considered to be underrepped by many. If Ridley was a less notable character, I doubt Sakurai would've tried as hard to get him in the game.

I think I mentioned this a few posts ago but it got lost: would it be a good idea to have a cheaper naval unit? Most of the naval units (landers aside) are pretty expensive.

Edit: Villager is basically the same case as Ridley. Excluded for reasons related to feasibility, but those technicalities were eventually overcome by demand and notability.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Another thing is that I think that "realizable moveset" scales somewhat with how important a character is in Sakurai's eyes. For example, even though Ridley was previously excluded because Sakurai couldn't get him to work, eventually he got in because he is a very important and popular character within his franchise, which was already considered to be underrepped by many. If Ridley was a less notable character, I doubt Sakurai would've tried as hard to get him in the game.

I think I mentioned this a few posts ago but it got lost: would it be a good idea to have a cheaper naval unit? Most of the naval units (landers aside) are pretty expensive.

Edit: Villager is basically the same case as Ridley. Excluded for reasons related to feasibility, but those technicalities were eventually overcome by demand and notability.
Yeah I agree. Though the way Sakurai views that I think might be "skewed" in some areas i'd argue but that's for another day.

Cheper Naval units in a new Advance Wars would be very welcome. Naval units are really expensive to purchase and they're usage is limited a lot in some maps. I thought it would have been a nice touch to have Drake get a 50% discount on all his naval units to really give him the edge over others in addition to having more powerful sea units. And also have naval units that can attack land units directly. I think it would be a neat touch and would create "danger zones" for players to pressure their opponent.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Yeah I agree. Though the way Sakurai views that I think might be "skewed" in some areas i'd argue but that's for another day.

Cheper Naval units in a new Advance Wars would be very welcome. Naval units are really expensive to purchase and they're usage is limited a lot in some maps. I thought it would have been a nice touch to have Drake get a 50% discount on all his naval units to really give him the edge over others in addition to having more powerful sea units. And also have naval units that can attack land units directly. I think it would be a neat touch and would create "danger zones" for players to pressure their opponent.
Maybe a Destroyer as a sort of naval recon unit? They could be cheap with high movement and vision, but with low damage output.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
First, there’s the fact that you can play as them! The most important part of an interactive medium as are video games.
But you've just said that their gameplay doesn't matter. If their gameplay doesn't matter to you (AKA, the unique part about being a playable character) then how can you claim that it's important?

I mean this just goes against your previous statements:

You can make every swordfighter ever a Marth clone, I’d still be excited if I think the character deserves to be in the game.
Takamaru, a character that could definitely be playable: while in his original game he has lots of skills, including becoming invisible, lightning and fire attacks, as an AT he throws projectiles and slashes with a sword
Like...that's literally a straight up contradiction. Either you're happy for them to simply be there, as you said before, which is what I said made 0 sense to me vs being an AT, or being a playable character means a more expansive and expressive moveset, which is something I entirely agree with, but not at all what you were saying before.

Characters, especially characters from new (unrepresented) series, come with stages, music, items, Assist Trophies, regular trophies/stickers/Spirits
This I agree with, and I do wish that we got more new franchises this time. 2 really is a shame, especially with other new reps like K Rool, Ridley/Dark Samus, Isabelle and

Sorry, I want to drop the convo like others have said...but most of your rebuttal was a straight up 180° on what you'd just said.

I guess just as a general point, just because "rank" doesn't always line up with level of representation doesn't mean it shouldn't when it can, if that makes sense.

But yeah, certainly no hard feelings. We're not trying to be negative just for the sake of it, just getting our opinions out on what we think of the game and what we're expecting for DLC.
That's fair, like I said I think that Bomberman could be more, but I'm still genuinely happy he's in as an AT considering the limbo that he'd been in until R came out, especially given the few years of worry about what Konami was planning for the future.

Same about no hard feelings, I understand disappointment, I just personally dislike being negative about things that we don't even know are going to happen.

I said I wanted to drop the subject but I think this is an important thing to remember. If you're not satisfied with something, just don't bother at all. Everyone has the ability to vote with their wallet and have their say.
Of course, I definitely agree. I don't even know yet if I'll buy the fighter bundle and my priority is just having more fun regardless of who it is. I'm just not really a fan of pre-orders.

For others like Isaac, Shadow, Bomberman, Shovel Knight, and Krystal (among others), it might feel like a tease to have them in the game but not playable. I mean I think it's better than nothing and there's nothing outright saying they can't be added in as DLC later on (at least in theory) but people who want those characters are going to feel let down. To each their own I think.

Personally, I just wish there was a mode where you got to play as an Assist Trophy somehow. That'd be really neat lol.
I just think that there's only so much development time, and only so many characters you can really put in the game, innevitably you can't please everyone. As for whether some characters deserve it more than others? I don't really feel like that's a productive argument since at the end you're asking for someone else's wishes to be crushed.

As for the second part: That's why I'm actually super excited for Spirits mode, I can't wait to see how my favourite Spirits are going to be represented by what's currently in the game. Also why I'm such a big fan of Mii costumes, and kinda wish that they'd expand the Mii Fighter roster. At very least you need Mii Mage; playing as Lip, Ashley and Viridi by whacking people with a stick is just a disservice.

TBF, Piranha Plant's have actually done a variety of things, which kinda happens when you're a staple enemy in a franchise that's continuously put out games for over 30 years, and Sakurai's even gone through Paper Mario in order to get some of the stuff.

As for the Naval stuff: The issue is how map dependant it would all be. I'd say one solution would simply be to have 2 levels of Port, maybe Port and Harbour or something, so that the prices of units can be dependant on the map that they're used in (while also introducing a way to make water maps more interesting, having a valuable Harbour in a riskier position). If you're just after a cheaper Recon level unit then I guess a Patrol Boat, like those military dinghy's, but a step up.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Maybe a Destroyer as a sort of naval recon unit? They could be cheap with high movement and vision, but with low damage output.
As for the Naval stuff: The issue is how map dependant it would all be. I'd say one solution would simply be to have 2 levels of Port, maybe Port and Harbour or something, so that the prices of units can be dependant on the map that they're used in (while also introducing a way to make water maps more interesting, having a valuable Harbour in a riskier position). If you're just after a cheaper Recon level unit then I guess a Patrol Boat, like those military dinghy's, but a step up.

Oh yeah def. Having a "recon-like" sea unit would definitely be for the better in maps with Fog of War and ones that emphasize naval combat. Gives more depth to that area which I feel Advance Wars could have used more of.

So to summarize some of the ideas we came up with so far,

- Naval units that act as recon units, forcing the opponent to be more strategic with how they move their sea units.
- Naval units that attack land units directly and are akin to what an Anti-Air would do to an Air unit. Also pressures the opponent to move their units away from the shores and sort of "boxes them in".
- Air units that use long range attacks similar to what Rockets/Missiles and Battleships are for land/sea units respectively. Maybe it's firepower nerfed a bit given the movement capabilities it would have in the air.
- Tank units that are effective in destroying naval units. And by that I mean they specialize in taking out those kinds of units and are otherwise weak against most other units.
- Infantry who specialize in taking out air units. Similar to how Mechs can take out Tanks, these units would be able to have similar capabilities against B Copters, Fighters, Bombers, and what have you.

I bet we can come up with a lot more. Of course balancing them and finding the right price is important. Something that Advance Wars didn't balance well with it's naval units IMO.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
I understand disappointment, I just personally dislike being negative about things that we don't even know are going to happen.
It's true that the DLC could still be pretty good. Out of the possible third party characters, I'd be happy to see Lloyd, Banjo, or Rayman, and all three seem to have at least a decent shot. I've soured on Banjo's chances after hearing all this talk of Minecraft content, but Banjo is definitely still a possibility.

On the first party side, though, it doesn't look too good for most of the popular picks, unfortunately. But it's not impossible we get Andy or even Isaac, so I guess we have to just wait and see.

I don't like to trust leakers, as somebody had to break NDA to get info, but Verge's comments make me nervous. I think after the first character reveal we'll have a much better idea of where it's going.

The issue is how map dependant it would all be. I'd say one solution would simply be to have 2 levels of Port, maybe Port and Harbour or something, so that the prices of units can be dependant on the map that they're used in (while also introducing a way to make water maps more interesting, having a valuable Harbour in a riskier position). If you're just after a cheaper Recon level unit then I guess a Patrol Boat, like those military dinghy's, but a step up.
Interesting idea. I suppose that if they did this they'd do something similar for land and air units as well, as it would be weird to have two levels of Port but not two levels of Base and Airport.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Interesting idea. I suppose that if they did this they'd do something similar for land and air units as well, as it would be weird to have two levels of Port but not two levels of Base and Airport.
And on that note, there could be two levels for Bases as well.

What if there was a Base that specialized in different Infantry units and the other Vehicular units? That way you can introduce a bunch of new foot soldiers.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
And on that note, there could be two levels for Bases as well.

What if there was a Base that specialized in different Infantry units and the other Vehicular units? That way you can introduce a bunch of new foot soldiers.
What kinds of foot soldiers? If there are too many things could get unnecessarily complicated, as they'd likely all be around the same price point.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
What kinds of foot soldiers? If there are too many things could get unnecessarily complicated, as they'd likely all be around the same price point.
Like I mentioned before, foot soldiers that specialize in taking out air units or even ones with long-range capabilities. They wouldn't be as powerful as their vehicular counterparts but they'd be priced cheaper (around 3000-5000).

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Like I mentioned before, foot soldiers that specialize in taking out air units or even ones with long-range capabilities. They wouldn't be as powerful as their vehicular counterparts but they'd be priced cheaper (around 3000-5000).
Okay, the way you worded it just made it sound like it was way more than 2. What would you name them?

A base that where you could only buy foot soldiers would be interesting, but probably not super useful in the lategame.

And since we've already talked about cheaper naval units, what about cheaper air units? We have T-Copters already, and B-Copters aren't that expensive, so maybe there isn't as much of a need.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Well the other 2 aren't really as map dependent, air is always useful and ground is needed for capture and has all the 'tech' units (aka, the 'counter' cards like antiaircraft, the zoning power in artillery, the 'niche/specific purpose) units).

Speaking of:
I think SPEN18 is right here, not every type of unit needs to have every tool available and adding it all is over complicating not just a 'simple formula' but also over complicating the dynamics of what different types of units are used for. Like you've just created a capturing unit that's designedly to take out the counters to capturing units.

That said I don't mind the idea of infantry only bases that sort of dedicate yourself to the idea of 'quick expansion' over building up economy and better late game units.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Okay, the way you worded it just made it sound like it was way more than 2. What would you name them?

A base that where you could only buy foot soldiers would be interesting, but probably not super useful in the lategame.

And since we've already talked about cheaper naval units, what about cheaper air units? We have T-Copters already, and B-Copters aren't that expensive, so maybe there isn't as much of a need.
I think SPEN18 is right here, not every type of unit needs to have every tool available and adding it all is over complicating not just a 'simple formula' but also over complicating the dynamics of what different types of units are used for. Like you've just created a capturing unit that's designedly to take out the counters to capturing units.

That said I don't mind the idea of infantry only bases that sort of dedicate yourself to the idea of 'quick expansion' over building up economy and better late game units.
The way I was thinking about it was that these Foot Soldiers would have similar capabilities as their vehicular counterparts just that they're not as powerful but also cheaper. Much like how Mechs have capabilities of taking on the normal Tanks but against Md. Tanks or anything higher they're dead meat. I think a similar concept would apply here. Maybe that's not too much of a stretch to think? Cheaper units for lesser damage output.

SPEN is right in that it's usage in the late game would be pretty ineffective but I think it would be a critical point in establishing dominance in the early goings of battles. And as DNeon said, makes for quick production. Especially in turns where you have to make big purchases quickly to get in the heavy hitters (i.e. Md. Tanks, Bombers) but also need some scrap funds to purchase units at another point of the map. Lots of utility right there.

As for the Air units, I think they're priced right. The reason being is that Fighters and Bomber units are really OP in battle and in the late game they're used almost as a slug-fest between players. I think having them priced high makes it so that the player has to be very strategic on how many they can afford and when the right time is to make the purchase.

And besides, I bet y'all don't want to be facing off against Eagle who's able to purchase Bombers on the fly. Imagine all that combined with his Lightning Strike CO Power. That's a living nightmare right there yo. :scared:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Especially in turns where you have to make big purchases quickly to get in the heavy hitters (i.e. Md. Tanks, Bombers) but also need some scrap funds to purchase units at another point of the map. Lots of utility right there.
yeah this is a real problem on some large maps where you have multiple key objectives

Eagle who's able to purchase Bombers on the fly. Imagine all that combined with his Lightning Strike CO Power.
I mean, they'd be cheaper units so not nearly as OP as Bombers. But in general I agree that air units are kinda meant to be more expensive because of their enhanced movement and offensive capabilities.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So recall a few pages back when I talked about starting a Twitter account (or something of that nature) for getting Andy in Smash coming of the heels of the Grinch leak (which I was almost convinced was real along with others). Now that's not happening obviously given Isaac isn't in this game and that said boost we could have gotten won't happen now. On top of that, DLC is already chosen so there's no reason to do that (unless Andy was miraculously one of those 5 characters and my god temper those expectations boys).

What i'm thinking instead of that is we do something similar to what the Isaac Support thread is planning to do. Raise support for the series itself. In this case, the goal for them is to bring back Golden Sun which is something I really want to see happen personally as well. They have a big event coming November 11th (the day when Golden Sun released in North America) where they're launching a big campaign to raise awareness for the series.

I think we need to do something similar for Advance Wars as well. Not being vocal about our want for having the series to return is something that really harms it IMO. I mean when you look at franchises like Metroid, F-Zero, and Golden Sun there's always been a big demand for these to return. These fans always make their desire to see these series return known through their vocal support. Advance Wars is definitely among these franchises but the only difference is that for whatever reason it's fans choose not to be vocal about wanting the franchise to return and sorta hope that it comes back on it's own (something that Intelligent Systems seems to be in no hurry to do mind you).

And it's not without precedent. Just take a look at the poll rNintendoSwitch did back in March for franchises not on the Switch they wanted to see make their way on the console. Advance Wars placed 6th on that poll (now placing in 3rd due to Smash Bros, Mario Party, and Animal Crossing all being confirmed since the poll was conducted). With that, Advance Wars is essentially the 3rd most requested franchise to come to the Switch, only behind F-Zero and Paper Mario. The demand is clearly there evident by the fact that it beat out Kid Icarus, Golden Sun, Punch-Out, Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, 2D Metroid, 3D DK, and WarioWare.

We just need to find a way to materialize this demand and be vocal about our desire to see Advance Wars return. Obviously as I mentioned before, just having a petition with a couple hundred (maybe thousands of people if we're lucky) isn't going to do much of anything. Operation Sunrise, an old Golden Sun petition is an example of this. So instead of just a standard petition, we need to have a movement of sorts where people are actively supporting the return of the franchise. Just think how vocal Animal Crossing fans were to have their series come on the Switch. Obviously, AC is much bigger than AW is but we still have to make our voices heard like them to achieve anything of substance. Or how F-Zero fans always make their voices heard in the Twitch/YT chats during Nintendo Directs and what have you.

TL:DR, we have the support to get this done but it's not organized very well. Sure you'll get plenty of people who say they miss Advance Wars and want the series to return (I see it all the time on Reddit and other places) but the demand isn't widespread enough to where it should be. Hence why we need a centralized movement to bring the franchise back.

I know, easier said than done but I believe it's worth trying and that it can be done if Advance Wars fans are passionate enough. Tell me what you guys think.

Last edited:

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
Ura Ura These days the best way to go is probably through Twitter. I guess we should try to gather some people from all around the internet and whatnot like we did with Golden Sun. IS wants the demand to be heard so maybe it makes sense to do so.

The problem is that I've got no knowledge of Twitter simply because I never used it. We'd have to find some people who are as passionate as you are about AW and who are able to actively support that Account.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Ura Ura These days the best way to go is probably through Twitter. I guess we should try to gather some people from all around the internet and whatnot like we did with Golden Sun. IS wants the demand to be heard so maybe it makes sense to do so.

The problem is that I've got no knowledge of Twitter simply because I never used it. We'd have to find some people who are as passionate as you are about AW and who are able to actively support that Account.
Yeah that's the other hurdle. I'm not very savvy with social media and I am pretty busy a lot so IDK how i'd be able to manage that effectively.

Maybe said account could be run by multiple people? Granted if that's even allowed on Twitter lol.

Of course said movement would expand beyond Twitter. It would go from YT to Reddit and so forth. The more eyeballs the better.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I’m all for starting a movement for Advance Wars’ return.

Well, there’s the caveat that I’m a complete non-presence in all social networks, but I’m all for the idea of the movement.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I’m all for starting a movement for Advance Wars’ return.

Well, there’s the caveat that I’m a complete non-presence in all social networks, but I’m all for the idea of the movement.
I think we can brainstorm some ideas. We don't have to do something right away of course.

Obviously we want this to go beyond a simple petition that no one cares about. Said movement has to be interactive among it's supporters and we have to be vocal constantly.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
What i'm thinking instead of that is we do something similar to what the Isaac Support thread is planning to do. Raise support for the series itself. In this case, the goal for them is to bring back Golden Sun which is something I really want to see happen personally as well. They have a big event coming November 11th (the day when Golden Sun released in North America) where they're launching a big campaign to raise awareness for the series.

I think we need to do something similar for Advance Wars as well. Not being vocal about our want for having the series to return is something that really harms it IMO. I mean when you look at franchises like Metroid, F-Zero, and Golden Sun there's always been a big demand for these to return. These fans always make their desire to see these series return known through their vocal support. Advance Wars is definitely among these franchises but the only difference is that for whatever reason it's fans choose not to be vocal about wanting the franchise to return and sorta hope that it comes back on it's own (something that Intelligent Systems seems to be in no hurry to do mind you).
So like seemingly everyone else in this thread, I have no social media or Reddit accounts.

But I think that if we could organize this somehow then it could be very useful. Finding content wouldn't be too hard if you can contact a few artists willing to put out semi-regular fanart. You could post about anniversaries of the AW games, general polls (who's your favorite CO, war room map, etc.), and other stuff like that.

Maybe you could host something like a map design contest? And then after the winners are chosen have a contest to see who can clear them the fastest?

Lol we could probably have some fun with map designs in this thread too.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So like seemingly everyone else in this thread, I have no social media or Reddit accounts.

But I think that if we could organize this somehow then it could be very useful. Finding content wouldn't be too hard if you can contact a few artists willing to put out semi-regular fanart. You could post about anniversaries of the AW games, general polls (who's your favorite CO, war room map, etc.), and other stuff like that.

Maybe you could host something like a map design contest? And then after the winners are chosen have a contest to see who can clear them the fastest?

Lol we could probably have some fun with map designs in this thread too.
Great ideas. Something to keep the community engaged and not have it be like a fad that dies out a couple of weeks later.

We'll need the right people to help us as well like prominent YT'ers that are fans of the Advance Wars series.

Also on an unrelated note, Senjougahara__Hitagi (the guy who claims Steve and Katlina will be DLC and who Verge backed up personally) has said he hasn't heard of any scrapped Advance Wars character in the game or that it was even talked about (although he also states that he hasn't heard of it himself so maybe that info never got around many developers if Andy were cut earlier on). I'm bringing this up because of the theory I posted earlier of Andy possibly being scrapped in development due to Infantry & Tanks not returning as an Assist Trophy and of course Andy himself not being shown as a Spirit.

I think it's likely now that Andy will be shown to be a spirit when the game releases in December but if he isn't, i'm going to be convinced that he was at least planned for this game if not outright scrapped entirely before marketing of the game began.

And aside from that, i'm hoping for Advance Wars-related Mii Costume(s) in the game along with at least one remix from the series. It's about time we got some tracks from this series in Smash.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Great ideas. Something to keep the community engaged and not have it be like a fad that dies out a couple of weeks later.

We'll need the right people to help us as well like prominent YT'ers that are fans of the Advance Wars series.

Also on an unrelated note, Senjougahara__Hitagi (the guy who claims Steve and Katlina will be DLC and who Verge backed up personally) has said he hasn't heard of any scrapped Advance Wars character in the game or that it was even talked about (although he also states that he hasn't heard of it himself so maybe that info never got around many developers if Andy were cut earlier on). I'm bringing this up because of the theory I posted earlier of Andy possibly being scrapped in development due to Infantry & Tanks not returning as an Assist Trophy and of course Andy himself not being shown as a Spirit.

I think it's likely now that Andy will be shown to be a spirit when the game releases in December but if he isn't, i'm going to be convinced that he was at least planned for this game if not outright scrapped entirely before marketing of the game began.

And aside from that, i'm hoping for Advance Wars-related Mii Costume(s) in the game along with at least one remix from the series. It's about time we got some tracks from this series in Smash.
First, Hitagi not having heard of Andy doesn't really mean much. He has not claimed to know the full DLC and even the two characters he has mentioned he isn't 100% certain are in the game. Also, unlike Steve and Katalina, Andy wouldn't require any third party negotiations, which sometimes seem easier to leak because multiple companies and more people are involved.

And yeah, an Andy Mii Costume would be dope. Alternatively, maybe they could make an Infantry/Mech costume for the Mii Gunner. Same goes for a new remix. Even a few music rips I'd take, though I'd still be disappointed if there was no remix.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
First, Hitagi not having heard of Andy doesn't really mean much. He has not claimed to know the full DLC and even the two characters he has mentioned he isn't 100% certain are in the game. Also, unlike Steve and Katalina, Andy wouldn't require any third party negotiations, which sometimes seem easier to leak because multiple companies and more people are involved.

And yeah, an Andy Mii Costume would be dope. Alternatively, maybe they could make an Infantry/Mech costume for the Mii Gunner. Same goes for a new remix. Even a few music rips I'd take, though I'd still be disappointed if there was no remix.
Yeah but he and Verge are in the know and arguing otherwise at this juncture is counter-productive. At least arguing about their legitimacy as knowing what's going on behind the scenes. Because they clearly due evident with the fact that Verge knew the characters and knew about Isaac being an AT. And Verge backed Hitagi.

That being said of course, his answer indicated that he never heard anything Advance Wars-related from his source which could always mean that had Andy been scrapped or whatever, his source might have not known about it. So likewise as I said if Andy doesn't show up as a Spirit then i'm going to believe he was at least planned and later scrapped in this game (because why else would he not be in that mode but Olaf and Eagle are?). And if for whatever reason dataminers find evidence of his existence in the code then i'll have zero doubt of this.

But as I mentioned, right now i'm going with the expectation that Andy is a Spirit.

What I think should happen is that there should be a Mii Swordfighter costume for Andy (psuedo-wrenches I guess lol) and a Mii Gunner costume for the Infantry unit. And of course Andy's Anthem needs to be remixed in this game along with maybe an additional one or two tracks.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Yeah but he and Verge are in the know and arguing otherwise at this juncture is counter-productive. At least arguing about their legitimacy as knowing what's going on behind the scenes. Because they clearly due evident with the fact that Verge knew the characters and knew about Isaac being an AT. And Verge backed Hitagi.
Yeah I wasn't trying to imply that they don't have insider info, just that there's a big difference between Hitagi saying he hasn't heard about something and him saying outright that it isn't happening.

But yeah, Andy Spirit is the most realistic expectation rn.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah I wasn't trying to imply that they don't have insider info, just that there's a big difference between Hitagi saying he hasn't heard about something and him saying outright that it isn't happening.

But yeah, Andy Spirit is the most realistic expectation rn.
Oh yeah fair enough, that's for sure. Sakurai has stated that a lot of characters in the development process are either considered, planned, or scrapped so with this theory i'd think Andy was either planned or scrapped. Of course he could have always been considered and not planned. Then again, it's not like Sakurai would ever disclose this info to us lol. Crossing my fingers that dataminers find him in the code.

Andy being a spirit is likely but i'm hoping for all the AW1 CO's to be in this game as spirit's. Given that we saw two already and Sakurai alluded to their being a huge amount in the game I don't think it's impossible. Maybe throw in some Days of Ruin CO's as spirits as well.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Andy being a spirit is likely but i'm hoping for all the AW1 CO's to be in this game as spirit's. Given that we saw two already and Sakurai alluded to their being a huge amount in the game I don't think it's impossible. Maybe throw in some Days of Ruin CO's as spirits as well.
I think that it'll be hard to judge the AW representation until we know exactly how many Spirits there will be. If they're including everything under the sun, then any omissions will be glaring, but if the number is like the number of stickers in Brawl (almost certainly it'll be higher), then maybe we can only expect a few from AW. Idk how many total Spirits are you expecting? There were 700 stickers in Brawl

Edit: there are also no Trophies so it's gonna be pretty high

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So, I don't know if you've heard, but Hitagi (the other leaker that isn't Vergeben) has explicitly disconfirmed Advance Wars representation for DLC (along with, like, every good character in existence).

Thoughts? Personally I never thought we stood a huge chance, but damn if DLC isn't looking terrible.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
So, I don't know if you've heard, but Hitagi (the other leaker that isn't Vergeben) has explicitly disconfirmed Advance Wars representation for DLC (along with, like, every good character in existence).

Thoughts? Personally I never thought we stood a huge chance, but damn if DLC isn't looking terrible.
Source?

And what else has he disconfirmed?

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Source?

And what else has he disconfirmed?
Also Paper Mario.

He hasn't heard of Sora, Geno, Bandanna Waddle Dee, Dixie Kong, Rex/Pyra, Professor Layton, Zack Fair, any other Final Fantasy character, Lloyd Irving, Prince of All Cosmos, and any other Bamco rep.
And has said Banjo & Kazooie aren't likely.

DogManStar

Smash Ace
I feel like a Twitter campaign or something similar would be pretty helpful. It's still working pretty well for Isaac, even in the face of his disconfirmation. This could really help bring some attention back to Advance Wars.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Yeah myself and SPEN were just talking about that. Obviously it doesn't paint a good picture for the series as DLC but like if Andy were cut in development or something that'd still be a major victory for us.

And there's always the possibility of Hitagi's source not hearing about the character. Don't forget that.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Yeah myself and SPEN were just talking about that. Obviously it doesn't paint a good picture for the series as DLC but like if Andy were cut in development or something that'd still be a major victory for us.

And there's always the possibility of Hitagi's source not hearing about the character. Don't forget that.
Yeah even if Hitagi's correct about all the Smash stuff he's said, there's still some things to hope for in terms of Advance Wars.

The GameFAQs summary that GoodGrief linked to also didn't give sources. Does anyone have Hitagi's actual post(s) about Advance Wars?

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

GlitchWarrior

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3540-4749-2681
At this point, I'm taking anything the DLC leakers say with a grain of salt. Sakurai hasn't even gotten to work on any of them (save Piranha, who's not even in the Fighters Pass to my knowledge), and I really don't trust these things anyway. Vergeben took me by surprise, but so far not one other leaker has ever made me want to believe them. I still believe Andy has some chance, albeit very slim...

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
At this point, I'm taking anything the DLC leakers say with a grain of salt. Sakurai hasn't even gotten to work on any of them (save Piranha, who's not even in the Fighters Pass to my knowledge), and I really don't trust these things anyway. Vergeben took me by surprise, but so far not one other leaker has ever made me want to believe them. I still believe Andy has some chance, albeit very slim...
Well I guess this is about as optimistic as you can get with Andy's chances for DLC lol.

I don't have much reason to doubt Verge/Hitagi. And with them not hearing about Andy it's almost a guarantee that he won't be DLC.

The silver lining here, is if my theory of Andy being cut was true and he gets a renewed push akin to what the Chrous Kids got as a result of the Gematsu leak/Smash 4 datamine. If that were the case, more people would get behind him for inclusion either in a hypothetical Season 2 Smash Ultimate DLC (if that ever happens) or at least Smash 6 (even though that's years down the road).

Either that and/or Intelligent Systems makes a new game already instead of leaving the series in the doghouse. I guarantee you we would have had an Advance Wars character in Smash 4 or Ultimate if the series wasn't dead for so long. It makes me frustrated as a fan of this series.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well I guess this is about as optimistic as you can get with Andy's chances for DLC lol.

I don't have much reason to doubt Verge/Hitagi. And with them not hearing about Andy it's almost a guarantee that he won't be DLC.

The silver lining here, is if my theory of Andy being cut was true and he gets a renewed push akin to what the Chrous Kids got as a result of the Gematsu leak/Smash 4 datamine. If that were the case, more people would get behind him for inclusion either in a hypothetical Season 2 Smash Ultimate DLC (if that ever happens) or at least Smash 6 (even though that's years down the road).

Either that and/or Intelligent Systems makes a new game already instead of leaving the series in the doghouse. I guarantee you we would have had an Advance Wars character in Smash 4 or Ultimate if the series wasn't dead for so long. It makes me frustrated as a fan of this series.
Maybe we just spread the word that Andy was planned, hope it catches on.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Maybe we just spread the word that Andy was planned, hope it catches on.
Well I mean in the event that Andy was planned, the whole Smash community is going to be buzzing about it and we would see an influx of Andy/Advance Wars related fanart, fan-movesets, as well as increased speculation of an Advance Wars revival.

And if that were the case, then would be a better time than ever to do something of that nature. Even without we still outta' try something. Like the Twitter account thing I mentioned.
I feel like a Twitter campaign or something similar would be pretty helpful. It's still working pretty well for Isaac, even in the face of his disconfirmation. This could really help bring some attention back to Advance Wars.
Of course with Isaac, he's a lot more popular than Andy and his deconfirmation led to the spike in interest of seeing Golden Sun return and himself in Smash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom