• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orange Star's Hyperactive Whiz Kid! - Andy For Smash Ultimate! We'll Live To Fight Another Day...

Favorite Advance Wars Game (Not Including pre-AW and Battalion Wars)

• Total voters

SPEN18

Smash Lord
So in the Isaac thread someone mentioned that maybe Sakurai would still try to surprise us with one super secret fighter in base, despite him saying they will reveal the "designs" of the fighters before launch. Obviously this is unlikely, but if it were to somehow happen, I think Andy perfectly fits the bill.

I said in my post on that thread that it would likely have to be someone we haven't seen at all yet, and I doubt that certain characters like Dixie or Bandana Dee would be surprising enough to fit this bill.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So in the Isaac thread someone mentioned that maybe Sakurai would still try to surprise us with one super secret fighter in base, despite him saying they will reveal the "designs" of the fighters before launch. Obviously this is unlikely, but if it were to somehow happen, I think Andy perfectly fits the bill.

I said in my post on that thread that it would likely have to be someone we haven't seen at all yet, and I doubt that certain characters like Dixie or Bandana Dee would be surprising enough to fit this bill.
Dude, now you got my hopes up that will never be fulfilled lol.

Yeah I see no reason to doubt Sakurai when he tells us this is the final roster we'll have in Base. Not to mention all the promotional material is out there and what have you.

That being said of course Andy would fill the build of secret unlockable character really nicely like a lot of the retro characters before him. I'm just not going to entertain the idea.

Here's hoping for Andy as DLC by some miracle. Or at least his name popping up in the game's code as a fighter that was scrapped.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Dude, now you got my hopes up that will never be fulfilled lol.

Yeah I see no reason to doubt Sakurai when he tells us this is the final roster we'll have in Base. Not to mention all the promotional material is out there and what have you.

That being said of course Andy would fill the build of secret unlockable character really nicely like a lot of the retro characters before him. I'm just not going to entertain the idea.

Here's hoping for Andy as DLC by some miracle. Or at least his name popping up in the game's code as a fighter that was scrapped.
Yeah obviously it's highly unlikely to have a secret base character, probably less than a 1% chance imo. I guess this is why I'm kinda bummed that there probably won't be any surprises at launch; it's a perfect place to stick in more niche franchises. Imagine the fans uncovering someone like Isaac or Geno without knowing beforehand! But alas, the internet and leakers have ruined that.

I also realized later that if there was a secret base fighter, it would have to be numbered 71, after piranha plant. I guess you could say piranha plant was officially announced first, so its number would take precendence. Of course, I don't wanna dwell on those possibilities too long as they won't likely come to fruition.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah obviously it's highly unlikely to have a secret base character, probably less than a 1% chance imo. I guess this is why I'm kinda bummed that there probably won't be any surprises at launch; it's a perfect place to stick in more niche franchises. Imagine the fans uncovering someone like Isaac or Geno without knowing beforehand! But alas, the internet and leakers have ruined that.

I also realized later that if there was a secret base fighter, it would have to be numbered 71, after piranha plant. I guess you could say piranha plant was officially announced first, so its number would take precendence. Of course, I don't wanna dwell on those possibilities too long as they won't likely come to fruition.
Yeah nomenclature would be weird AF especially since they wouldn't put the secret character up on the site. At least for like a month or until the Internet discovers the character.

But alas, that's one straw I refuse to grasp lol. I'm going to take Sakurai's word 100% for what it is.

Aside from the theory I mentioned last page, I think the only other plausible outcome for having Advance Wars as DLC is if Intelligent Systems brought back the franchise around early-mid 2020 (something they've never been in a hurry to do mind you) and that said Advance Wars protag was one of the last characters included in the Fighter Pack or the first in a hypothetical second one. It most likely wouldn't be Andy but I'd rejoice in finally having this series represented in Smash.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
eah nomenclature would be weird AF especially since they wouldn't put the secret character up on the site. At least for like a month or until the Internet discovers the character.

But alas, that's one straw I refuse to grasp lol. I'm going to take Sakurai's word 100% for what it is.

Aside from the theory I mentioned last page, I think the only other plausible outcome for having Advance Wars as DLC is if Intelligent Systems brought back the franchise around early-mid 2020 (something they've never been in a hurry to do mind you) and that said Advance Wars protag was one of the last characters included in the Fighter Pack or the first in a hypothetical second one. It most likely wouldn't be Andy but I'd rejoice in finally having this series represented in Smash.
In Brawl and Smash 4 secret characters were put on the site, but under spoiler tags.

Again, I agree that we shouldn't count on any secret chars.

And is IS known to be working on anything alongside Three Houses?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
In Brawl and Smash 4 secret characters were put on the site, but under spoiler tags.

Again, I agree that we shouldn't count on any secret chars.

And is IS known to be working on anything alongside Three Houses?
There was a rumored Paper Mario game because of some "leak" going around IIRC but i'm not too sure of that.

Y'know it's really conspicuous that FE Three Houses got bumped to 2019. I mean so did the Yoshi game but FE in particular given how all signs pointed to the game releasing in the Fall this year but it was pushed back at E3 despite being slated for 2018 and an investor meeting a month and a half before.

Or even that FE Switch took so long to develop. A game that was first announced in January of 2017 (probably even starting development before that) and then went radio silent for a year and a half. I don't ever recall this happening with an Intelligent Systems game before.

The optimistic side of me wants to believe that an Advance Wars game was green lit by the powers that be at Nintendo/Intelligent Systems somewhere in development hence why FE has taken a long time to come out. I mean if said AW game was using the same engine as Three Houses, it's very plausible that some of the staff could have been alternating in between projects (as was the case back in the old days) and that a new Advance Wars could be bound for 2020.

Of course this is just one big fat theory i'm throwing out there and I know better than to put my faith in IS. It usually ends in me getting let down and the usual.

I just want to believe that there's a plan to return to the franchise sometime within the next couple of years. There should be no reason why the Switch goes by without any Advance Wars on it. So much wasted potential if that happens.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
There was a rumored Paper Mario game because of some "leak" going around IIRC but i'm not too sure of that.

Y'know it's really conspicuous that FE Three Houses got bumped to 2019. I mean so did the Yoshi game but FE in particular given how all signs pointed to the game releasing in the Fall this year but it was pushed back at E3 despite being slated for 2018 and an investor meeting a month and a half before.

Or even that FE Switch took so long to develop. A game that was first announced in January of 2017 (probably even starting development before that) and then went radio silent for a year and a half. I don't ever recall this happening with an Intelligent Systems game before.

The optimistic side of me wants to believe that an Advance Wars game was green lit by the powers that be at Nintendo/Intelligent Systems somewhere in development hence why FE has taken a long time to come out. I mean if said AW game was using the same engine as Three Houses, it's very plausible that some of the staff could have been alternating in between projects (as was the case back in the old days) and that a new Advance Wars could be bound for 2020.

Of course this is just one big fat theory i'm throwing out there and I know better than to put my faith in IS. It usually ends in me getting let down and the usual.

I just want to believe that there's a plan to return to the franchise sometime within the next couple of years. There should be no reason why the Switch goes by without any Advance Wars on it. So much wasted potential if that happens.
Yes, the thing about the Fire Emblem delay that confused me so much was the fact that virtually nobody was talking about it after the E3 Direct. It seems like almost all the major media outlets completely forgot that they announced this game over a year ago and it was supposed to be a 2018 game. When I was watching the Direct live, I was really liking the trailer and then at the very end they say "2019"; it felt like a slap to the face. But afterwards, nobody seemed to say a word about the new release date outside Fire Emblem fans, as if they didn't even know it was already anounced for 2018. This game, even without Yoshi's delay, is the main reason for the lackluster second half of '18 Nintendo has had. They were likely banking on it to help them this year, along with Yoshi, and neither of those happened. These delays also explain why it seems like we know most of the 2019 games already. IS hasn't said a word about why it was delayed (I mean, they have no reason to do so, especially since pretty much nobody is criticizing them for it).

That whole FE situation is weird in general, and could be a sign that something is up at IS. But it begs the question: if not Advance Wars, then what would IS be making? Another Pushmo or Codename: Steam? I really doubt it. I suppose there could be a new IP in the works, but after Codename: Steam didn't sell too great they might be hesitant to try that again, especially since FE has been making bank. So other than a new Advance Wars game, if IS is actually working on another project as right now, I think the biggest possibility is another FE remake, like SoV. There's a lot of people that want remakes of Genealogy and Binding Blade, especially since those are currently JP-only games (so they'd be like brand new games for many Westerners). But at the same time, why do these now? I feel like they'd want to finish Three Houses first, and then perhaps use that engine to make a hypothetical FE remake. This is in line with what happened on the 3DS, where they made Awakening and Fates first and then did SoV. Given all of this, if IS is working on a project simultaneously with Three Houses, or maybe if a new project was just started recently and perhaps contributed to the Three Houses delay, it could very well be a 2020 Advance Wars game. The big question that remains on this front, though, is whether or not IS even wants to return to Advance Wars. If they do, now would be a perfect time to do it, especially since Advance Wars would work so well on Switch. You'd have the handheld aspect that helped make the original games so appealing, and then you could hook up to a TV to play locally with friends on one big screen. COME ON IS DO IT

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yes, the thing about the Fire Emblem delay that confused me so much was the fact that virtually nobody was talking about it after the E3 Direct. It seems like almost all the major media outlets completely forgot that they announced this game over a year ago and it was supposed to be a 2018 game. When I was watching the Direct live, I was really liking the trailer and then at the very end they say "2019"; it felt like a slap to the face. But afterwards, nobody seemed to say a word about the new release date outside Fire Emblem fans, as if they didn't even know it was already anounced for 2018. This game, even without Yoshi's delay, is the main reason for the lackluster second half of '18 Nintendo has had. They were likely banking on it to help them this year, along with Yoshi, and neither of those happened. These delays also explain why it seems like we know most of the 2019 games already. IS hasn't said a word about why it was delayed (I mean, they have no reason to do so, especially since pretty much nobody is criticizing them for it).

That whole FE situation is weird in general, and could be a sign that something is up at IS. But it begs the question: if not Advance Wars, then what would IS be making? Another Pushmo or Codename: Steam? I really doubt it. I suppose there could be a new IP in the works, but after Codename: Steam didn't sell too great they might be hesitant to try that again, especially since FE has been making bank. So other than a new Advance Wars game, if IS is actually working on another project as right now, I think the biggest possibility is another FE remake, like SoV. There's a lot of people that want remakes of Genealogy and Binding Blade, especially since those are currently JP-only games (so they'd be like brand new games for many Westerners). But at the same time, why do these now? I feel like they'd want to finish Three Houses first, and then perhaps use that engine to make a hypothetical FE remake. This is in line with what happened on the 3DS, where they made Awakening and Fates first and then did SoV. Given all of this, if IS is working on a project simultaneously with Three Houses, or maybe if a new project was just started recently and perhaps contributed to the Three Houses delay, it could very well be a 2020 Advance Wars game. The big question that remains on this front, though, is whether or not IS even wants to return to Advance Wars. If they do, now would be a perfect time to do it, especially since Advance Wars would work so well on Switch. You'd have the handheld aspect that helped make the original games so appealing, and then you could hook up to a TV to play locally with friends on one big screen. COME ON IS DO IT
The delay is even more strange when you consider how empty Nintendo's holiday season has been. I mean sure you have heavy hitters in Pokemon and Smash but there was a big gap in September/October that could have been filled with FE. That's usually the time those kinds of games get released anyways. It doesn't make sense to me.

Of course this could also have negative ramifications if true like maybe they were working on another FE spinoff in addition to the core FE game they're doing. In which case i'm going to feel horrible and super let down yet again. It's not without precedent of course. 2017 saw FE get 3 games in the same year. It's like IS doesn't want to be bothered by doing anything else other than bathing in FEH money.

IDK, cynical overload from me I guess. Intelligent Systems didn't bother doing anything for the 30th anniversary of this franchise so getting my hopes up isn't the smartest idea in addition to what I mentioned before. That being said, they can't keep this franchise dead forever. Guess i'm just going to keep hoping...

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
IDK, cynical overload from me I guess. Intelligent Systems didn't bother doing anything for the 30th anniversary of this franchise so getting my hopes up isn't the smartest idea in addition to what I mentioned before. That being said, they can't keep this franchise dead forever. Guess i'm just going to keep hoping...
I mean, Nintendo rarely seems to do anything for anniversaries, but at least a mention would've been nice. On the other hand, if they had mentioned Advance Wars for its anniversary then it would likely immediately spark some discussion about AW potentially coming back. And whether or not it is coming back, I don't think they'd want to spark those discussions.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I mean, Nintendo rarely seems to do anything for anniversaries, but at least a mention would've been nice. On the other hand, if they had mentioned Advance Wars for its anniversary then it would likely immediately spark some discussion about AW potentially coming back. And whether or not it is coming back, I don't think they'd want to spark those discussions.
Yeah come to think of it, they were pretty much radio silent on Metroid's 30th anniversary barring Federation Force that came out in the same year. And look what happened the year after. :)

Not to say the situations are identical but still there's some things to take in to consideration. Intelligent Systems have expressed interest countless times over the past 5+ years of wanting to return to the Advance Wars series so maybe just maybe they're going to get the chance. Or at least some of the staff working there who are eager to return to the series. I wish they pushed more in getting a new game green lit. I'd like to think some of these members have sway in decision making like that.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Yeah, ultimately there's a lot of theorising that makes AW a possibility, whether we're talking in Ultimate or a new game. On the other hand, there's no reason to get hopes up based on theories like that IMO, because it's ignoring things like 'well it could just be something new' or talking about it being 'the more likely of the options' is just the type of thing that reduces the odds pf it being reality. Don't get me wrong I like all the theories I'm reading here but it's just not something worth putting any investment into because of how much speculation it is.

Frankly, to me the chances are 0% until it's confirmed (or leaked in a "straight from the game" manner). Either 0 or 100. I don't feel like playing in the middle ground for something that's been missing for so long.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I dunno about Andy, but geez. Wars is, or was, one of Nintendo's longest running franchises. It's unfortunate it's assist trophy was cut. That was all the series really had in terms of representation.

All because those commanders can't make babies. That is why the series failed, and why Fire Emblem succeeded.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah, ultimately there's a lot of theorising that makes AW a possibility, whether we're talking in Ultimate or a new game. On the other hand, there's no reason to get hopes up based on theories like that IMO, because it's ignoring things like 'well it could just be something new' or talking about it being 'the more likely of the options' is just the type of thing that reduces the odds pf it being reality. Don't get me wrong I like all the theories I'm reading here but it's just not something worth putting any investment into because of how much speculation it is.

Frankly, to me the chances are 0% until it's confirmed (or leaked in a "straight from the game" manner). Either 0 or 100. I don't feel like playing in the middle ground for something that's been missing for so long.
Yeah those are more or less my thoughts as well. Though I do think there might be a chance for Advance Wars in 2020. A chance mind you, and a chance i'll hope for even if nothing comes out of that.

But i'm still of the belief that there's something going on with the absence of Infantry & Tanks and Andy missing as a spirit. Not outright saying he's going to be in the game of course but something is definitely up here.

Also does anyone else find it conspicuous that it was Olaf shown off in Spirits rather than Andy? I mean in the particular segment that Olaf was in, it featured different franchises all of which were represented by their main protag (among series without a fighter). Oddly enough, it was Olaf in there instead of Andy. Make of that what you will.
I dunno about Andy, but geez. Wars is, or was, one of Nintendo's longest running franchises. It's unfortunate it's assist trophy was cut. That was all the series really had in terms of representation.

All because those commanders can't make babies. That is why the series failed, and why Fire Emblem succeeded.
Hence the title "Where there's smoke, there's fire". I believe there's more to the AT removal then we're lead to believe as I mentioned before as well as the Spirits thing.

It's not that straightforward dude. It has more to do with IS not making a new AW until they implement FE-style mechanics which I think is a wrong approach to take but that's their mentality.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Yeah obviously the chances of an AW rep happening are still pretty slim. My post made a lot of assumptions, many of which could easily be wrong. For all we know they could actually be working on Codename: Steam 2 or the worst Paper Mario yet. Or they could just be working on FE:TH and that's it.

Also does anyone else find it conspicuous that it was Olaf shown off in Spirits rather than Andy?
I find it hilarious that Olaf of all characters made it into the Direct in some form. But the range of characters shown in the Direct was so vast that I think it'll be more telling once we get the full list of stickers in the game when it releases.

I mean, there is a little bit more to it than that. Fire Emblem benefitted from the publicity of having multiple popular Smash fighters pre-Awakening, and FE was bigger than AW even at that time, especially in JP. But yeah, they really struck gold with the whole relationships stuff in FE, and it's a big contributor to FE's popularity boom.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yeah those are more or less my thoughts as well. Though I do think there might be a chance for Advance Wars in 2020. A chance mind you, and a chance i'll hope for even if nothing comes out of that.

But i'm still of the belief that there's something going on with the absence of Infantry & Tanks and Andy missing as a spirit. Not outright saying he's going to be in the game of course but something is definitely up here.

Also does anyone else find it conspicuous that it was Olaf shown off in Spirits rather than Andy? I mean in the particular segment that Olaf was in, it featured different franchises all of which were represented by their main protag (among series without a fighter). Oddly enough, it was Olaf in there instead of Andy. Make of that what you will.

Hence the title "Where there's smoke, there's fire". I believe there's more to the AT removal then we're lead to believe as I mentioned before as well as the Spirits thing.

It's not that straightforward dude. It has more to do with IS not making a new AW until they implement FE-style mechanics which I think is a wrong approach to take but that's their mentality.
New Advance Wars confirmed, with Olaf as protagonist.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Dude who are you gonna make him have kids with? I guess you're gonna have to park your Artillery next to Sonja's Recon unit for 100 Days if you wanna see that S Rank support convo where Kanbei barges in and disapproves of the marriage.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Crackpot theory:

The New AW will be a 'next generation', where IS confirms all the ships/triangles from previous games as a way of introducing the shipping aspect to Wars, and Olaf's grandson/daughter will be the MC because they weren't the result of any of the shipping in the last game so they can be paired with whoever without it being weird.

Playing as Blue Moon now because Orange Star is the bad guys before twist ending revealing that we were just playing the same story as AW1 but from the other side, where Orange Star was framed again.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I find it hilarious that Olaf of all characters made it into the Direct in some form. But the range of characters shown in the Direct was so vast that I think it'll be more telling once we get the full list of stickers in the game when it releases.
Of course, we can't say anything for certain just yet. It's just very telling that Andy was the only Spirit I mentioned not shown given the others and all. We'll find out exactly what's happening come December 7th.

Hoping that data miners find his name in the code. Or that an Advance Wars series icon is found much like Rhythm Heaven in Smash 4.
Dude who are you gonna make him have kids with? I guess you're gonna have to park your Artillery next to Sonja's Recon unit for 100 Days if you wanna see that S Rank support convo where Kanbei barges in and disapproves of the marriage.
Crackpot theory:

The New AW will be a 'next generation', where IS confirms all the ships/triangles from previous games as a way of introducing the shipping aspect to Wars, and Olaf's grandson/daughter will be the MC because they weren't the result of any of the shipping in the last game so they can be paired with whoever without it being weird.

Playing as Blue Moon now because Orange Star is the bad guys before twist ending revealing that we were just playing the same story as AW1 but from the other side, where Orange Star was framed again.
The Advance Wars lore is really weird huh? I mean think about it.

Olaf was a mentor figure for Nell I believe and he was stated to be a high ranking officer in the Orange Star army before he defected to Blue Moon. But then we find out in AW2 that Olaf was from Blue Moon and he was born there making things convoluted.

And then Max and Grit were also in the academy with Nell around the same time as her but Sami mentions in the AW1 campaign
that Nell was her classmate who got better grades or something. And also in the AW1 campaign, Sami mentions that Sonja was in her Academy and was the "Queen of Strategy". So it implies that Sonja, Sami, and Nell all went to the same Academy together.

TFW the Advance Wars lore is wack lol.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868

Panel de Pon/Puzzle League is also an Intelligent Systems franchise IIRC... and Smash Ultimate has finally given Lip some recognition in the West... Hmmm...

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Panel de Pon/Puzzle League is also an Intelligent Systems franchise IIRC... and Smash Ultimate has finally given Lip some recognition in the West... Hmmm...
You're right, it is IS. That could be a possible side project for them, although I don't think development of such a game would be too strenuous. If they made another Puzzle League game I'd actually imagine it on a mobile device or 3DS rather than Switch.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
You're right, it is IS. That could be a possible side project for them, although I don't think development of such a game would be too strenuous. If they made another Puzzle League game I'd actually imagine it on a mobile device or 3DS rather than Switch.
Yeah Panel De Pon is something I see working as a mobile title. I'd be a bit salt if that was IS's new project but at the same time I'd be happy for fans of that series. They can relate to the painful, decade long hiatuses for Intelligent System series so it'd be a welcome change.

That being said of course, I would still want Advance Wars to make a big comeback in 2020. Like not just coming back but returning in a huge way where it becomes a major IP (or at least close to the Top 10) and rivals FE in terms of sales/popularity.

I really hope E3 2019 is the big reveal for Advance Wars but that's usually what I always do every year. Hope E3 or whatever big event will be where the series makes it's grand return. Has to happen someday methinks.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Yeah Panel De Pon is something I see working as a mobile title. I'd be a bit salt if that was IS's new project but at the same time I'd be happy for fans of that series. They can relate to the painful, decade long hiatuses for Intelligent System series so it'd be a welcome change.

That being said of course, I would still want Advance Wars to make a big comeback in 2020. Like not just coming back but returning in a huge way where it becomes a major IP (or at least close to the Top 10) and rivals FE in terms of sales/popularity.

I really hope E3 2019 is the big reveal for Advance Wars but that's usually what I always do every year. Hope E3 or whatever big event will be where the series makes it's grand return. Has to happen someday methinks.
I mean, the dream scenario is we get AW announced at E3 alongside a Smash DLC announcement. Maybe the new protagonist as a fighter and Andy as an Echo or alt or something.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I mean, the dream scenario is we get AW announced at E3 alongside a Smash DLC announcement. Maybe the new protagonist as a fighter and Andy as an Echo or alt or something.
It's kinda hard to see Andy as an Echo Fighter given the wrench attacks he'd have. Or for that matter, anyone being an Echo Fighter of him. That's why Sami or Will if they were also in the game would be semi-clones of Andy sharing the same specials but using melee attacks from Snake most likely.

I think the ideal dream scenario is Advance Wars getting announced for the Switch in 2020 and then Andy gets released as Smash DLC to promote the return of that franchise. Reaching maybe but that'd excuse the series losing it's Assist Trophy in this game.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman

To be honest it would be best for them to return back to the fairies since Lip has to become the face of the series for international audiences in order for the game to get its own identity. FE and AW already had a cast that you would consider the face of the series, but its something that IS should do for Pdp too. Maybe Lip could get a cameo in some future Puyo Puyo game, or even get a new game because of Puyo Puyo Tetris' success.

Did you know that Nintendo has never given the term "Puzzle League" a trademark internationally? (There is one for the PAL Dsiware game "A little bit of... Puzzle League" but Puyo Puyo Tetris still uses "Puzzle League" as the online game mode for the PAL versions of that game.)
Even Advance Wars and Fire Emblem has gotten trademark in the past before.
Technically the series is called Panel de Pon because of this and the fairies don't even appear in the games listed with the "Puzzle League" name.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
To be honest it would be best for them to return back to the fairies since Lip has to become the face of the series for international audiences in order for the game to get its own identity. FE and AW already had a cast that you would consider the face of the series, but its something that IS should do for Pdp too. Maybe Lip could get a cameo in some future Puyo Puyo game, or even get a new game because of Puyo Puyo Tetris' success.

Did you know that Nintendo has never given the term "Puzzle League" a trademark internationally? (There is one for the PAL Dsiware game "A little bit of... Puzzle League" but Puyo Puyo Tetris still uses "Puzzle League" as the online game mode for the PAL versions of that game.)
Technically the series is called Panel de Pon because of this and the fairies don't even appear in the games listed with the "Puzzle League" name.
Honestly, I just hope poor Lip doesn't get censored out of her own game in international releases lol. They replaced her and the entire Panel de Pon series for Yoshi and Pokemon which really sucks.

I think Lip's presence in Smash Ultimate will definitely help in not having that happen again. The world in 2018 isn't like the 90's anyways.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Hey guys, new tweets from Sakurai came in.

So, who are the lucky contestants? We'll just have to wait and see...

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

If Nintendo decided, then it’s probably all third parties. Thanks for sharing the tweets!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Goodness gracious. The vibe i'm getting from that statement is that the reps are going to be promotion based (that's right, another FE and PKMN character) or third parties that appeal to casuals.

I'm not looking forward to this DLC cycle at all. It gives me a feeling of corporate greed and ignoring the fans.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
It's kinda hard to see Andy as an Echo Fighter given the wrench attacks he'd have. Or for that matter, anyone being an Echo Fighter of him. That's why Sami or Will if they were also in the game would be semi-clones of Andy sharing the same specials but using melee attacks from Snake most likely.

I think the ideal dream scenario is Advance Wars getting announced for the Switch in 2020 and then Andy gets released as Smash DLC to promote the return of that franchise. Reaching maybe but that'd excuse the series losing it's Assist Trophy in this game.
Yeah I agree an Andy Echo fighter probably wouldn't happen; I guess I was thinking too much along the lines of an Isaac/Matthew scenario where the new protag is pretty much a clone character.

Yeah I think the thing with Panel de Pon is that it's a really saturated market out there for puzzle games. There are a lot of much smaller studios capable of making things like that. Using Lip as the mascot more would help give it an identity and personality.

RIP almost all the fanbases. Man this game had such massive potential but, roster-wise, I have to say that they are dropping the ball HARD. After the August Direct things were looking extremely good, with all the veterans, Inkling, Ridley, Simon, and K. Rool all in the game. At that point I really thought that this game could really be the Ultimate Smash Bros. But then Isabelle and Incineroar were back to the same old marketing picks, and it seems like we're going down that same road for DLC.

I have to say I am disappointed with the number of newcomers in base, and that isn't just because of the disappointment from this most recent Direct. I would go so far as to say that "Everyone is Here" was a bad idea if it limits the number of newcomers the way it did. Recycling old content isn't really doing it for me. It would've been fine if we had an extended DLC season with characters people actually wanted, but clearly that isn't the case now and I don't know what to think about it. I don't think I've had a game that I was excited for turn sour so quickly.

These recent comments by Sakurai definitely feel like he's ripping off the band-aid early because he knows we might not be happy with what we get. The man knows what we want; he saw the ballot results. And whether it's his fault or not, he knows that the upcoming picks will be exciting for some but disappointing for many others.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I am satisfied with most of the Base Roster, some nitpicks here and there but all in all the roster is good. I wish some single-player content wasn't left out of the game and that there was a server for online (a major let down no one talks about that much) but otherwise the game looks really good and i'm excited to play Ultimate when it comes out.

But even then, i'm not going to buy the DLC if my suspicion comes true. Or at least I won't bother with the Fighter Pass and get locked in to things I don't want. Come to think of it I think the Fighter's Pass is a way to get the hardcore fans in to buying the DLC before they get let down with the character reveals. It's all marketing stuff I guess.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yeah I agree an Andy Echo fighter probably wouldn't happen; I guess I was thinking too much along the lines of an Isaac/Matthew scenario where the new protag is pretty much a clone character.

Yeah I think the thing with Panel de Pon is that it's a really saturated market out there for puzzle games. There are a lot of much smaller studios capable of making things like that. Using Lip as the mascot more would help give it an identity and personality.

RIP almost all the fanbases. Man this game had such massive potential but, roster-wise, I have to say that they are dropping the ball HARD. After the August Direct things were looking extremely good, with all the veterans, Inkling, Ridley, Simon, and K. Rool all in the game. At that point I really thought that this game could really be the Ultimate Smash Bros. But then Isabelle and Incineroar were back to the same old marketing picks, and it seems like we're going down that same road for DLC.

I have to say I am disappointed with the number of newcomers in base, and that isn't just because of the disappointment from this most recent Direct. I would go so far as to say that "Everyone is Here" was a bad idea if it limits the number of newcomers the way it did. Recycling old content isn't really doing it for me. It would've been fine if we had an extended DLC season with characters people actually wanted, but clearly that isn't the case now and I don't know what to think about it. I don't think I've had a game that I was excited for turn sour so quickly.

These recent comments by Sakurai definitely feel like he's ripping off the band-aid early because he knows we might not be happy with what we get. The man knows what we want; he saw the ballot results. And whether it's his fault or not, he knows that the upcoming picks will be exciting for some but disappointing for many others.
This. So much this. When Everyone is Here I was stoked, but looking back I’d rather we get a ton of cuts if it meant this game could really be Ultimate. Same with stages. 103 is great, but when only 4 are new I wonder why I’m buying the game at all. I want new content.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'm fine with the "Everyone is Here" gimmick personally. I just think this game should have taken more development time to give newcomers priority as well. Hope that doesn't come across as being entitled or what have you.

Or even have multiple Season Packs with the emphasis being on fan favorite characters. Because I doubt DLC is lasting longer than February 2020.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
I am satisfied with most of the Base Roster, some nitpicks here and there but all in all the roster is good. I wish some single-player content wasn't left out of the game and that there was a server for online (a major let down no one talks about that much) but otherwise the game looks really good and i'm excited to play Ultimate when it comes out.

But even then, i'm not going to buy the DLC if my suspicion comes true. Or at least I won't bother with the Fighter Pass and get locked in to things I don't want. Come to think of it I think the Fighter's Pass is a way to get the hardcore fans in to buying the DLC before they get let down with the character reveals. It's all marketing stuff I guess.
Yeah I actually didn't buy all of the DLC for 4. I bought all the veterans and Ryu. Normally Ryu isn't a character I'd buy but at that time I was still thinking I'd buy the rest of the DLC so I didn't mind buying one character I didn't necessarily want, just for the sake of having every character. But Cloud and Bayo didn't appeal to me at all, so I just stopped buying. I'm similarly conflicted right now; I want to have all the characters but at the same time do I really? If they're gonna be Piranha Plant, Katalina, Steve, and Melmetal, maybe I don't want them all.

This. So much this. When Everyone is Here I was stoked, but looking back I’d rather we get a ton of cuts if it meant this game could really be Ultimate. Same with stages. 103 is great, but when only 4 are new I wonder why I’m buying the game at all. I want new content.
Actually I was very nervous about "Everyone is Here" right when it was announced.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
For Smash 4 DLC, I got everyone up to Corrin/Bayonetta. That's when I decided there was no way I was spending any more money on DLC.

With a rumored lineup of Katalina and Steve (along with the likely additions of FETH & the Gen 8 PKMN), my apathy from the last Smash 4 DLC characters remains the same.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'm fine with the "Everyone is Here" gimmick personally. I just think this game should have taken more development time to give newcomers priority as well. Hope that doesn't come across as being entitled or what have you.

Or even have multiple Season Packs with the emphasis being on fan favorite characters. Because I doubt DLC is lasting longer than February 2020.
If it had paced reveals more responsibly, or just added a couple more fan-favorites to avoid Ridley and K. Rool feeling like flukes, reception would have probably been much more positive.

But with few new characters, few new stages, few modes, and trophies being removed, I’m just left wondering where all the dev time went to.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
For Smash 4 DLC, I got everyone up to Corrin/Bayonetta. That's when I decided there was no way I was spending any more money on DLC.

With a rumored lineup of Katalina and Steve (along with the likely additions of FETH & the Gen 8 PKMN), my apathy from the last Smash 4 DLC characters remains the same.
Lol completely forgot about Corrin. Wish I could keep forgetting about him being in the game...I didn't buy him either.

If it had paced reveals more responsibly, or just added a couple more fan-favorites to avoid Ridley and K. Rool feeling like flukes, reception would have probably been much more positive.

But with few new characters, few new stages, few modes, and trophies being removed, I’m just left wondering where all the dev time went to.
Yeah I thought the entire basis of "Everyone is Here" was that they could port stuff from 4 and then touch it up a bit. And a big thing that gets overlooked is that you can essentially skip much of the planning stages for old content because you already have it envisioned and you already know generally how you're gonna make it work.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I mean I think most of this game is great and all but like I said, a few touches here and there would have really made it better. Isaac being in this game would have made up for not having Andy so I was bummed that he wasn't in but alas things happen.

I just hope come next Smash (whenever that might happen) we have Advance Wars not only back from the dead but also propelled as a top-tier Nintendo franchise; a million seller on the level or close to Fire Emblem. And if that were the case it would almost be guaranteed to have a spot in the next Smash especially accounting for the series history.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Yeah it's weird that I'm already thinking about a hypothetical Smash 6 before the DLC proper is even announced.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah it's weird that I'm already thinking about a hypothetical Smash 6 before the DLC proper is even announced.
Thing is with the Switch lasting like another 5-7 years or so, I don't see another Smash happening for like another decade or something. And that's a pretty big bummer. Not having Andy in the "Ultimate Smash" is going to suck given that I won't be able to do a lot of dream matchups with him against certain characters.

There is a possibility of another Season for DLC but who's to say it'd be any different from the first one? And if there was I don't think Sakurai would want to do that given how long he's been working on Smash from the start of Wii U/3DS's development back in early 2012 all the way though early 2020. Unless Sakurai lets Bandai Namco take charge of the project which is something he usually doesn't want to do.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Thing is with the Switch lasting like another 5-7 years or so, I don't see another Smash happening for like another decade or something. And that's a pretty big bummer. Not having Andy in the "Ultimate Smash" is going to suck given that I won't be able to do a lot of dream matchups with him against certain characters.

There is a possibility of another Season for DLC but who's to say it'd be any different from the first one? And if there was I don't think Sakurai would want to do that given how long he's been working on Smash from the start of Wii U/3DS's development back in early 2012 all the way though early 2020. Unless Sakurai lets Bandai Namco take charge of the project which is something he usually doesn't want to do.
Yeah it's incredibly hard to speculate on something so far away. There's way too much we just don't know, and way too much that could happen between now and then. On one hand, the band-aid's been ripped off for me already with the DLC; I'd be surprised if I we got one character whose inclusion made sense to me, or maybe we could get a couple that I'm at least okay with. But yeah, hype has pretty much flatlined.

Top Bottom