• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orange Star's Hyperactive Whiz Kid! - Andy For Smash Ultimate! We'll Live To Fight Another Day...

Favorite Advance Wars Game (Not Including pre-AW and Battalion Wars)

• Total voters

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I find it hard to think of Andy fitting an echo fighter in a way that showcases him properly. I would rather have him fully realized than have another 'ganondorf' where you know they have so much more they could have done. It really wouldn't do him justice even if Snake is the closest he has to work with as an echo.

If Sakurai can work magic, I'm all for it but sadly I'd almost prefer him as an Assist Trophy sitting on a random base (land/air/sea?) summoning units of that type to wreak havoc.

Also it almost seems like too much effort they'd have to do to re-skin snake/dhd's moves to use various units. That much work put into something like that, you'd think they may as well make him his own character by that point.
Well now that I think about it, Andy in this scenario is more of a Melee-esque clone rather than an Echo Fighter. Given he would be at a different size and have different running/falling speeds than Snake. Also, his special would work the same way DHD's works. Just reskinning one of his moves to be an Infantry instead. Andy fighting like Snake might be a bit off but if his moves are more "cartoony" and "colorful", I think it would be a good fit.

It might not be the best showcase for what Advance Wars has to offer but at least that way we would have some form of Advance Wars representation. It also gives the opportunity for Andy to be decloned later down the road possibly incorporating more wrench attacks and Advance Wars moves. It gets Andy "in the door" so to speak as in he's a veteran of Smash Bros and easier to bring back in future installments.

Personally I would take that over him being relegated to Assist Trophy status. It's going to be a bummer to see this franchise still stuck in AT hell when it deserves so much more.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So I had a thought the other day. You know how some newcomers in Smash get their own fancy artwork when they get in the game? Like the artwork that was shown when Ryu was revealed that replaced Street Fighter characters with Smash ones.

Imagine if there was something like that for Advance Wars. Particularly the picture at the end of Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising when you beat the Normal Campaign.

What Smash characters do you think would get put in place for the CO's? Here's my list.

Andy:
(Obviously stays the same)
Sonja: :ultzelda:
Nell: :ultpalutena:
Sami: :ultlucina:
Sensei: :ultolimar:
Colin: :ultvillager:
Drake: :ultmario:
Kanbei: :ultsimon:
Olaf: :ultbowser:
Eagle: :ultcloud:
Grit: :ultsnake:
Jess: :ultzss:
Max: :ultdk:

DYKGaming did a video on Advance Wars
Yeah I saw that. About time DYKG got to Advance Wars. Was waiting for that episode for years.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
This thread right now...

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'm still here ngl
Yeah my post was more in jest about the thread's inactivity lol.

Hoping there will be an event that sparks a lot of interest and discussion for the thread. Almost like how Isaac's support thread exploded in popularity post 8/8 Smash Direct. Maybe a new Advance Wars announcement in the rumored September Direct will be said catalyst.

DogManStar

Smash Ace
Yeah my post was more in jest about the thread's inactivity lol.

Hoping there will be an event that sparks a lot of interest and discussion for the thread. Almost like how Isaac's support thread exploded in popularity post 8/8 Smash Direct. Maybe a new Advance Wars announcement in the rumored September Direct will be said catalyst.
Yeah, as a poster on the Isaac thread, idk what even happened lmao. The Rathalos thing I guess. Great to have so many people around though, and I wish Andy could get that kind of attention too. Advance Wars should have more supporters for Smash inclusion.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah, as a poster on the Isaac thread, idk what even happened lmao. The Rathalos thing I guess. Great to have so many people around though, and I wish Andy could get that kind of attention too. Advance Wars should have more supporters for Smash inclusion.
I do to. As I said before I honestly believe the series coming back to life is the boost the franchise needs to be a common request in the Smash community in a similar vein all the other Ballot heavy hitters are.

Advance Wars has such a huge history behind it and really deserves a lot more love. I mean coming from me that might not be saying much but you just got to look at the franchises historical significance to Nintendo and it's really unfortunate that the franchise never made it in to Smash. Brawl was it's best chance and it never came to pass.

Yeah it was the Rathalos tweet that really got the Isaac thread going. I mean it still had a ton of popularity before that (having like 75 pages or something) but then those events happened and the thread jumped a hundred+ pages so quickly. As a fan of Golden Sun and an Isaac supporter i'm really happy to see people are invested in him being in Smash. Isaac is also my #2 behind Andy so I would be very hyped for him.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

When people make leaks of you
I actually believe that's the Wave Race dude IIRC. Some people pointed to Andy but there's no way in hell that's him. I mean just looks at AW's aesthetic and it's nothing like that. Why would Sakurai go for a really realistic design for Andy?

But in the event that it is a fake leak of Andy then i'm humbled that people are taking the time to make fake leaks for Andy. :)

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
Honestly I'm just dried out of smash news right now.
There is only so much you can talk about on a character, their likelihood, etc..
You can envision their move-sets and presentation but in the end it is already decided (except potential DLC).

So it's nice to sort of make waves on the internet in support of Andy, but I feel like all I'm doing is splashing in hopes Sakurai sees the support.
"HEY! Remember this guy, Andy?! We want him pls. :( "
"...please?"

I am just waiting really.
Still happy with the game, but I'm more invested in waiting to see what single-player/online we will have.
Since I don't know if I'll actually get anyone I want in at this point and I find those more fundamental to the value of the game as a whole.

Though repping a new series is more exciting than an existing one IMO.
So there is that potential. :p

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Honestly I'm just dried out of smash news right now.
There is only so much you can talk about on a character, their likelihood, etc..
You can envision their move-sets and presentation but in the end it is already decided (except potential DLC).

So it's nice to sort of make waves on the internet in support of Andy, but I feel like all I'm doing is splashing in hopes Sakurai sees the support.
"HEY! Remember this guy, Andy?! We want him pls. :( "
"...please?"

I am just waiting really.
Still happy with the game, but I'm more invested in waiting to see what single-player/online we will have.
Since I don't know if I'll actually get anyone I want in at this point and I find those more fundamental to the value of the game as a whole.

Though repping a new series is more exciting than an existing one IMO.
So there is that potential. :p
Well I doubt Sakurai is browsing Smashboards to see who's popular lol. Although it would be kinda funny to think that he's lurking in this forum.

I mean we already covered most bases (heh no pun intended) when it comes to Andy's moveset but there's always new ideas out there given how expansive the Wars series is and Andy's moveset potential being almost endless. Usually what I've ended up doing is making this place more of a central hub for all things Advance Wars related.

And if there was ever a new game announced you can bet there would be so much more activity in this thread based on that alone.

Last edited:

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
It wouldn't be him literally reading smashboards, but I'm sure Nintendo knows of fansites as a source of what fans want.
Just putting a voice out there hoping it will somehow make an impact.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It wouldn't be him literally reading smashboards, but I'm sure Nintendo knows of fansites as a source of what fans want.
Just putting a voice out there hoping it will somehow make an impact.
Yeah I do wish that there was a more vocal outpour of support for Andy the way there is for other Ballot heavy hitters. I do see support for Andy in a lot of places but mostly it's sorta spread out in a bunch of different places (i.e. Reddit, Smashboards, etc.).

The silver lining here is that Andy is usually on people's Top 5 or Top 10 most wanted newcomer lists from what I gathered. So even if he's not people's most wanted he's still up there in want. Which is good news if those kinds of people voted for him in the Ballot as their 2nd/3rd/4th choice.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
I actually believe that's the Wave Race dude IIRC. Some people pointed to Andy but there's no way in hell that's him. I mean just looks at AW's aesthetic and it's nothing like that. Why would Sakurai go for a really realistic design for Andy?

But in the event that it is a fake leak of Andy then i'm humbled that people are taking the time to make fake leaks for Andy. :)
See that's what I though, I too thought it was Ryota? from Wave Race Blue Storm but I was told it was supposed to be Andy (much to my shock)

Barbasol

Smash Ace
Man - an Advance Wars rep would fill me with so much hope. I want an Advance Wars resurgance - I actually would love to play these on my cell. If Andy comes back AW comes back. *fingers crossed*

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
The guy who made the fake Smash renders with Agnes, Isaac and Ken etc. came out and admitted it was fake. He was working on Andy/Sami/Max one as well which he never finished
DmDgnymX0AA-14D.png

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
See that's what I though, I too thought it was Ryota? from Wave Race Blue Storm but I was told it was supposed to be Andy (much to my shock)
Yeah I actually double checked and the leak doesn't match up. Ryota's design doesn't look like that and it's evident given that the character in question doesn't looked Asian. I mean look at this...

And this...

Even though the artstyle is rather off putting, I really think it's Andy who's said character. His shirt also lines up more with Andy than it does Ryota.

Which is great mind you because that means people are actually bothering to make fake leaks for Andy now lol. Hopefully that speaks well to his chances for inclusion haha.
Man - an Advance Wars rep would fill me with so much hope. I want an Advance Wars resurgance - I actually would love to play these on my cell. If Andy comes back AW comes back. *fingers crossed*
Well you can be assured that the sentiment is shared with all of us lol. Andy in Smash would lead to so many great things happening for the Advance Wars series. Many people who would have never looked in the way of anything AW related would be curious to see what the series is all about and the series would see a boom in popularity.

May I add you to the support list BTW?
The guy who made the fake Smash renders with Agnes, Isaac and Ken etc. came out and admitted it was fake. He was working on Andy/Sami/Max one as well which he never finishedView attachment 161269
I saw that in another thread. The dude is really talented and i'm glad he took the time to do this. The more fake leaks with Andy in them the better lol.
Haha!

DOR reference... now that I think about, how tall is Will compared to Andy? Since Will looks taller than Andy for the most part.
Couldn't miss my chance to make that joke lmao. And now the thread looks to see a spike with that pic uploaded from the fake leaker guy.

I would think Will is roughly the same height as Jake so a far bit more taller than Andy. Will looks to be in his late-teens as well whereas Andy is like 13-14 I think.

Last edited:

Yoshi444

Smash Apprentice
Not my most wanted but Andy is in my top 5 for his fans and similarities with Isaac.
Add me on the support list.

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
Hey I came here from the Isaac forum.
I just wanted to say that even though I never played Advance Wars or don't know a lot about it.
I support Andy, and I would really be interested on how he would play in Ultimate. Hopefully you
guys get him. :)

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Not my most wanted but Andy is in my top 5 for his fans and similarities with Isaac.
Add me on the support list.
I'll give my support.
Hey I came here from the Isaac forum.
I just wanted to say that even though I never played Advance Wars or don't know a lot about it.
I support Andy, and I would really be interested on how he would play in Ultimate. Hopefully you
guys get him. :)
Ayy Isaac boys what's good my dudes?

Thanks for your support! And as I say to all newcomers here, welcome to the Orange Star Army!

that being a metaphorical army mind you lol

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Ura Ura ’s post on the Isaac thread convinced me to pop in here. I think I pledged my support for Andy and AW before, but I just... stopped reading, I guess.

Here’s hoping the massive influx of traffic the Isaac thread got can funnel into this one too!

(The DYKG video on Advance Wars really made me want to replay the GBA games...)

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Ura Ura ’s post on the Isaac thread convinced me to pop in here. I think I pledged my support for Andy and AW before, but I just... stopped reading, I guess.

Here’s hoping the massive influx of traffic the Isaac thread got can funnel into this one too!

(The DYKG video on Advance Wars really made me want to replay the GBA games...)
Yeah this might be one of this threads most active moments ever lol.

Thanks for coming guys. It means a lot to me.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion

Thanks for your support! And as I say to all newcomers here, welcome to the Orange Star Army!

I'm doing fine.

While Andy wasn't my most wanted, i think giving you support would be better than doing nothing.

I hope Ray And Isaac get in, but i hope Andy gets in. Good luck.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'm doing fine.

While Andy wasn't my most wanted, i think giving you support would be better than doing nothing.

I hope Ray And Isaac get in, but i hope Andy gets in. Good luck.
Yeah the more love to lesser known Nintendo franchises the better. So many overlooked series out there.

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038

Feeling optimistic today, and yourself?
So what's the story behind Advance Wars,
I never played it but I wanna check it out.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Yeah the more love to lesser known Nintendo franchises the better. So many overlooked series out there.
Yeah. Usually the underdog is the more compelling charcater to rally behind. The one that's apart of a franchise that hasn't been represented yet.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Feeling optimistic today, and yourself?
So what's the story behind Advance Wars,
I never played it but I wanna check it out.
Ecstatic to see this thread get so much attention lol.

Advance Wars is a Turn-Based Strategy game released on the Game Boy Advance (with it's roots dating back to the NES mind you) that's beloved by critics and fans alike. You should try it out yourself if you still own a Wii U or something like that.
Yeah. Usually the underdog is the more compelling charcater to rally behind. The one that's apart of a franchise that hasn't been represented yet.
And also the one with the most exciting prospect as well. Seeing a franchise that's never been in the game before is so much more exciting to see.

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
Ecstatic to see this thread get so much attention lol.

Advance Wars is a Turn-Based Strategy game released on the Game Boy Advance (with it's roots dating back to the NES mind you) that's beloved by critics and fans alike. You should try it out yourself if you still own a Wii U or something like that.

And also the one with the most exciting prospect as well. Seeing a franchise that's never been in the game before is so much more exciting to see.
Sounds compelling to play, I love strategy RPG's.
I'll definitely give it a shot this week!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Sounds compelling to play, I love strategy RPG's.
I'll definitely give it a shot this week!
Ehh...more like a pure tactics TBS then an SRPG. There's pretty much no RPG elements in Advance Wars which makes it great and more strategic in gameplay.

You won't regret it my friend. Wars is among my favorite gaming series of all time. And IMO well worth the 8 bucks it costs and then some (even if that's my fanboy talking lol).

Eagle

Smash Lord
The GBA was a big part of my childhood and Smash shamefully doesn't represent it enough. Isaac and Andy would be so good because of how unique their movesets would be. Personally, I like the idea of Andy having a gimmick based around gold income where during the fight if he lands hits with his melee attacks he gains gold which are then used for his special moves to summon a unit. For example, for holding down neutral B, he could summon an infantry unit, or a mech, or a small tank each with their respective costs. Or his recovery could be transport copter, battle copter, or bomber depending on how long B is held. Down B for artillery.. so many options! A unique summoner along side an earth-bender would be phenomenal.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The GBA was a big part of my childhood and Smash shamefully doesn't represent it enough. Isaac and Andy would be so good because of how unique their movesets would be. Personally, I like the idea of Andy having a gimmick based around gold income where during the fight if he lands hits with his melee attacks he gains gold which are then used for his special moves to summon a unit. For example, for holding down neutral B, he could summon an infantry unit, or a mech, or a small tank each with their respective costs. Or his recovery could be transport copter, battle copter, or bomber depending on how long B is held. Down B for artillery.. so many options! A unique summoner along side an earth-bender would be phenomenal.
Thanks for you support dude!

Advance Wars along with Golden Sun was a huge part of the GBA's legacy and yes Smash doesn't give it the love it deserves TBH. Hopefully that will change in the future.

We came up with a gameplay mechanic similar to that. Basically Andy having a fund system which increases as the match goes and he can buy units from a small sub menu. I prefer Battle Copter as Andy's recover (great for giving him more recovery options) though I did have a Bomber as his Up Special before. Would be a great edgeguarding tool actually if Andy could attack foes underneath him. Better yet give him an option to cycle between B-Copters and Bombers haha.

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
Ehh...more like a pure tactics TBS then an SRPG. There's pretty much no RPG elements in Advance Wars which makes it great and more strategic in gameplay.

You won't regret it my friend. Wars is among my favorite gaming series of all time. And IMO well worth the 8 bucks it costs and then some (even if that's my fanboy talking lol).
Haha! yeah my bad (me being a noob),
I thought it was a rpg until I watched some gameplay, but none of the less I'll check back on
here update on how far I got into it.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Haha! yeah my bad (me being a noob),
I thought it was a rpg until I watched some gameplay, but none of the less I'll check back on
here update on how far I got into it.
Well it is a common mistake I see from people so no worries on that front lol.

Here's looking forward to seeing your progress. If your stuck I can help because I know the GBA AW games like a book.

Eagle

Smash Lord
I played the GBA games, and I think I played one on the DS. I never got around to playing it when it took a turn for gritty-realism, not that I have a problem with it I just didn't really know it existed. How would you rank the Advance Wars games going from the GBA to the latest release?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I played the GBA games, and I think I played one on the DS. I never got around to playing it when it took a turn for gritty-realism, not that I have a problem with it I just didn't really know it existed. How would you rank the Advance Wars games going from the GBA to the latest release?
Well opinions vary and all that lovely stuff but for me...

1. Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising
2. Advance Wars
3. Advance Wars: Dual Strike
4. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin

Dual Strike I didn't like the story of and Days of Ruin I didn't like the tone change. The GBA games are my favorites with AW2 being my #1 with it's Campaign.

Eagle

Smash Lord
Well opinions vary and all that lovely stuff but for me...

1. Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising
2. Advance Wars
3. Advance Wars: Dual Strike
4. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin

Dual Strike I didn't like the story of and Days of Ruin I didn't like the tone change. The GBA games are my favorites with AW2 being my #1 with it's Campaign.
Do you have a favorite CO? I'm guessing you're supporting Andy because he's the only one that realistically has a short, except maybe for Sami.

You could probably guess mine.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Do you have a favorite CO? I'm guessing you're supporting Andy because he's the only one that realistically has a short, except maybe for Sami.

You could probably guess mine.
Andy, Grit, and Jess are my top 3 favorites. All of whom have a really cool personality trait that I like.

Yours might or might not be Eagle's I think. Gonna have to think hard on that one. ;)

Top Bottom