• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orange Star's Hyperactive Whiz Kid! - Andy For Smash Ultimate! We'll Live To Fight Another Day...

Favorite Advance Wars Game (Not Including pre-AW and Battalion Wars)

• Total voters

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Strong doubt on that my dude. If Nintendo had any major titles to be announced for 2021, it would have been announced at the E3 Direct. I'm not saying that they can't announce anything for December but if they did, it would have to be something smaller like an E-Shop exclusive title or some shovelware thing lol.
Oh, yeah, definitely not expecting anything major, but I'm just not ruling it out yet.

Reactions: Ura

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Can you all imagine if the September Direct rolls around and we get a 5-7 minute segment on Advance Wars: Re-Boot Camp at the end of the Direct? Then the segment continues but then we see "Not actual gameplay footage." and then we see a trailer of sorts that leads in to Andy's reveal. Even better if we assume it's just more of the same segment and the Smash trailer throws everyone off.
Hopefully, we do get one. 🤞
Did the Famicom Detective Club remakes get a Tetris 99 theme? I don't recall that happening but maybe Advance Wars might get lucky and get one?

amageish

Smash Master
Can you all imagine if the September Direct rolls around and we get a 5-7 minute segment on Advance Wars: Re-Boot Camp at the end of the Direct? Then the segment continues but then we see "Not actual gameplay footage." and then we see a trailer of sorts that leads in to Andy's reveal. Even better if we assume it's just more of the same segment and the Smash trailer throws everyone off.

Did the Famicom Detective Club remakes get a Tetris 99 theme? I don't recall that happening but maybe Advance Wars might get lucky and get one?
I do love a good misdirect trailer. That would be a fun moment, though I also don't know if I need that long of a showcase for a remake... It would be nice to see them show off how the multiplayer will be working though.

FDC didn't get a Tetris 99 theme, or at least not yet. Honestly, what does and does not get a theme for that game is quite random - Super Kirby Clash and Kirby Fighters 2 both got themes a few months after their games actually released, Super Mario All-Stars (the SNES game) got a theme to tie-in with its addition to NSO, but things like The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, Astral Chain, New Pokémon Snap, and Super Mario 3D All-Stars didn't get themes...

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I do love a good misdirect trailer. That would be a fun moment, though I also don't know if I need that long of a showcase for a remake... It would be nice to see them show off how the multiplayer will be working though.

FDC didn't get a Tetris 99 theme, or at least not yet. Honestly, what does and does not get a theme for that game is quite random - Super Kirby Clash and Kirby Fighters 2 both got themes a few months after their games actually released, Super Mario All-Stars (the SNES game) got a theme to tie-in with its addition to NSO, but things like The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, Astral Chain, New Pokémon Snap, and Super Mario 3D All-Stars didn't get themes...
Yeah, maybe 3-5 minutes is a better run time. Basically, showing off the Campaigns (no spoilers of course), the War Room Mode, online multiplayer, Map Creator, customization, even a small character breakdown for Andy, Sami, & Max. That would (theoretically speaking) lead in to the Smash reveal trailer (still appearing as more Advance Wars: Re-Boot Camp footage).

True about Tetris 99 themes being random. I mentioned FDC because that's the closest example we have for AW (in that it's a dormant franchise returning after a long time). If FDC didn't get one, then chances are AW might not get a theme but never say never I guess.

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
True about Tetris 99 themes being random. I mentioned FDC because that's the closest example we have for AW (in that it's a dormant franchise returning after a long time). If FDC didn't get one, then chances are AW might not get a theme but never say never I guess.
I played FDC: The Girl Who Stands Behind. And from what I can tell, the series doesn't have that much iconography. Maybe that's one of the reasons it didn't get a Tetris theme. Making an AW theme for the game would be one of the easiest things to do, considering the series' iconography.

I'm starting to think that Nintendo hasn't mentioned the War room and Map editor modes because they might want to announce them later and make people who don't know anything about AW think they are new. The website says two campaigns and online mode, but I refuse to believe they would remove those two important modes.

amageish

Smash Master
I played FDC: The Girl Who Stands Behind. And from what I can tell, the series doesn't have that much iconography. Maybe that's one of the reasons it didn't get a Tetris theme. Making an AW theme for the game would be one of the easiest things to do, considering the series' iconography.

I'm starting to think that Nintendo hasn't mentioned the War room and Map editor modes because they might want to announce them later and make people who don't know anything about AW think they are new. The website says two campaigns and online mode, but I refuse to believe they would remove those two important modes.
I mean, all a game needs for a Tetris 99 theme is key art that works as a background, plus 3 music tracks of growing intensity and some sound effects. FDC really checks all of these boxes. You could even have it be that one side of the Tetris 99 screen is The Girl Who Stands Behind and the other is The Missing Heir...

Frankly, if Kirby Fighters 2 can get a theme four months after it released, then I don't think there is such a thing as too obscure/minor of a Nintendo release to get one. They just seem to pick what does/doesn't get them kind of randomly.

Hopefully they are hiding more features! It'd be a shame if the map editor especially was just MIA in this version of the games...

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
[Next Nintendo Direct]

What type of new features do you think they could implement into the game? Personally, I would love to see replays akin to those of Advance Wars by web. And also the option to upload and download maps!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Saw this video on NicoVideo (which is pretty much like a Youtube sorta service in Japan). It's some guy talking about the upcoming Advance Wars remakes and it's really interesting to see him talk in depth about the remakes as well as using names like "Advance Wars", "Andy", "Sami", & "Max".

I've seen quite a lot of interest in these remakes being brought over to Japan which surprised me since this series has seen bad luck over there a lot. Nintendo has to do the right thing and release the remakes there on time and not delay it. This is their chance to let AW finally succeed in the Japanese market.
[Next Nintendo Direct]

What type of new features do you think they could implement into the game? Personally, I would love to see replays akin to those of Advance Wars by web. And also the option to upload and download maps!
I heard this person's reputation is quite shaky so IDK if we should be trusting this user. That being said, i'm pretty sure everyone is expecting a Direct in September and those guesses are basically anything you or me could make.

In regards to new features, the Map Creator needs to be expanded on to allow players to share maps over the internet and possibly even locally. Also, the implementation of cutscenes in the game is something i'm hoping for personally. Since WayForward is behind the project, there could be a good 5-7 cutscenes throughout the intro, campaigns, and the ending of the game. It would be a good way to get players invested in the CO's since they're not seen much in the games (outside CO Powers and the select screen).

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
It's interesting how more people have started to upload more Advance Wars by web replays to YouTube. On another note, I would like to ask something: am I the only one who considers Nell's theme to be the unofficial main theme of the series? I mean, most Advance Wars videos I've seen always use Nell's theme to some extent.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So, i'm not sure if y'all are aware but Nintendo's holding their quarter-end investor meeting this upcoming Thursday. The reason why I mention that is because we're very likely going to see how well the Famicom Detective Club remakes performed sales-wise. It's important, IMO because it's a benchmark for how a dormant franchise without Smash Bros representation can perform on the market. That's not to say that Advance Wars and FDC are completely one in the same but maybe it'll give us an idea of how the market reacts to an IP like that. So if the remakes did very poorly, it's reason to be concerned but not necessarily panic since there's more interest in the Advance Wars remakes. Alternatively, if the remakes did well then that could be an encouraging sign for AW's prospects in December.

Also, unrelated to the above but this upcoming Thursday also happens to be my birthday. Just throwing that out there lmao.

It's interesting how more people have started to upload more Advance Wars by web replays to YouTube. On another note, I would like to ask something: am I the only one who considers Nell's theme to be the unofficial main theme of the series? I mean, most Advance Wars videos I've seen always use Nell's theme to some extent.
Ehh, I wouldn't say it's the main theme of the series. It was used for when Advance Wars launched on the Wii U Virtual Console but that's about it. Plus, Reboot Camp's trailer used Sami's theme so I doubt that. It's sort of like when Youtuber's use Mumbo's Mountain in any video that talks about Banjo-Kazooie.

IMO, the Wars World News track that plays in the menu of the first game is the most iconic theme song in the series. I hear it played just about everywhere that features an Advance Wars video and it's the first thing that plays in my mind when I think of Advance Wars.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
So, i'm not sure if y'all are aware but Nintendo's holding their quarter-end investor meeting this upcoming Thursday. The reason why I mention that is because we're very likely going to see how well the Famicom Detective Club remakes performed sales-wise. It's important, IMO because it's a benchmark for how a dormant franchise without Smash Bros representation can perform on the market. That's not to say that Advance Wars and FDC are completely one in the same but maybe it'll give us an idea of how the market reacts to an IP like that. So if the remakes did very poorly, it's reason to be concerned but not necessarily panic since there's more interest in the Advance Wars remakes. Alternatively, if the remakes did well then that could be an encouraging sign for AW's prospects in December.

Also, unrelated to the above but this upcoming Thursday also happens to be my birthday. Just throwing that out there lmao.
Happy Almost-Birthday!

It'll be interesting to see what they say. I think there's a very real chance they'll keep their cards close-ish to their chest, as they often don't provide exact numbers for digital sales and they could theoretically just go "The Collector's Edition sold its print run in 2 weeks" and move on...

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Ehh, I wouldn't say it's the main theme of the series. It was used for when Advance Wars launched on the Wii U Virtual Console but that's about it. Plus, Reboot Camp's trailer used Sami's theme so I doubt that. It's sort of like when Youtuber's use Mumbo's Mountain in any video that talks about Banjo-Kazooie.

IMO, the Wars World News track that plays in the menu of the first game is the most iconic theme song in the series. I hear it played just about everywhere that features an Advance Wars video and it's the first thing that plays in my mind when I think of Advance Wars.
Here's hoping you get some good news on your birthday! (And also have a good day all-around) I'm very interested in that presentation, hopefully we'll get some solid sales numbers, both because of what you mentioned and because I want a third FDC to get made...

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
I want a third FDC to get made...
There's a third game in the series that was released for the Satellaview. I believe it's called FDC: The Past that Disappeared in the Snow. The people behind the remakes said they were interested in developing a new game if given the chance. Hopefully, they get to make a new one or remake the third game.

Something pretty obvious that most people that watched the E3 Direct like to ignore. Also, the art style isn't that bad as people on the internet make it out to be. It might not be their cup of tea but it isn't bad. Most people have the mentality that Nintendo is charging them $60 for the original two games without any changes.

amageish

Smash Master
There's a third game in the series that was released for the Satellaview. I believe it's called FDC: The Past that Disappeared in the Snow. The people behind the remakes said they were interested in developing a new game if given the chance. Hopefully, they get to make a new one or remake the third game.

Something pretty obvious that most people that watched the E3 Direct like to ignore. Also, the art style isn't that bad as people on the internet make it out to be. It might not be their cup of tea but it isn't bad. Most people have the mentality that Nintendo is charging them $60 for the original two games without any changes.
Yeah, the third game could be exciting. The Director of the remakes has expressed interest in doing an all-new entry in the series though and he did it in an interview with Sakamoto being there, which I doubt he'd do if there wasn't some discussion of it being a possibility behind the scenes...

As for the Tweet, yeah, I'm not expecting any delays either. I don't have much faith in that leaker at the moment, though I'm curious how their FEH predictions will work out, as they're very specific and kind of weird ( predicting Brave Marianne is a green unit is a bit odd when her Relic is red, her standard magic is blue, and her healing magic is colourless )...

I like the art style, but I get some people don't like the toy-esque style that's becoming more common in the Switch era. As for people complaining about the price... Honestly, I'm not sure how any people who are frustrated by full GBA remakes being full-priced when bundled together are people who are interested in Advance Wars as an IP? Modern Nintendo discourse kind of expects everyone to have a hot take on every game, in spite of not every game being for every gamer... "I'd consider it at a lower price" is a pretty generic response if you are neither excited nor apathetic to a game.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Happy Almost-Birthday!

It'll be interesting to see what they say. I think there's a very real chance they'll keep their cards close-ish to their chest, as they often don't provide exact numbers for digital sales and they could theoretically just go "The Collector's Edition sold its print run in 2 weeks" and move on...
Well, here's hoping they disclose the full amount. If it's less than 1 Million copies, they might mention it in passing but who knows.
Here's hoping you get some good news on your birthday! (And also have a good day all-around) I'm very interested in that presentation, hopefully we'll get some solid sales numbers, both because of what you mentioned and because I want a third FDC to get made...
Thanks for the birthday wishes!

I agree, and not just for FDC but all other dormant franchises waiting to return.

Yeah, the third game could be exciting. The Director of the remakes has expressed interest in doing an all-new entry in the series though and he did it in an interview with Sakamoto being there, which I doubt he'd do if there wasn't some discussion of it being a possibility behind the scenes...

As for the Tweet, yeah, I'm not expecting any delays either. I don't have much faith in that leaker at the moment, though I'm curious how their FEH predictions will work out, as they're very specific and kind of weird ( predicting Brave Marianne is a green unit is a bit odd when her Relic is red, her standard magic is blue, and her healing magic is colourless )...

I like the art style, but I get some people don't like the toy-esque style that's becoming more common in the Switch era. As for people complaining about the price... Honestly, I'm not sure how any people who are frustrated by full GBA remakes being full-priced when bundled together are people who are interested in Advance Wars as an IP? Modern Nintendo discourse kind of expects everyone to have a hot take on every game, in spite of not every game being for every gamer... "I'd consider it at a lower price" is a pretty generic response if you are neither excited nor apathetic to a game.
I don't really believe SamusHunter is legit but this is something people aren't taking into consideration. The game isn't even final and I see a lot of people on Twitter badmouthing the game for the art style & price tag. Like, people seriously need to chill out and give the remakes a chance.

Chances are, we can end up with a much better looking game if the remakes do well. Remember, these remakes are being done to test the waters for a new Advance Wars. Chances are, Nintendo couldn't justify the costs of making like, a Three Houses-quality game for Advance Wars unless it's a proven success. After all, the cost for making video games have gone up significantly since the DS-era.

What we'll end up getting with the remakes will most likely be better than what people are expecting (and also worth the price tag at that). And should that game do well, we can except to get a much better looking new game with all kinds of expanded features and what have you.
We're rating Andy on RTC today.
1627844093512.png

Ugh, not looking forward to this again. I suppose i'll post when I have the chance.

amageish

Smash Master
We got the Sales Data from the Investor's Meeting and, as per usual, games under 1,000,000 units didn't have their sales data reported, confirming both FDC and Game Maker Garage haven't broken 1,000,000 in sales (which is very much not a surprise).

They did say that digital-only game sales remained strong, but that... doesn't really narrow much down when we're talking about the entire eShop lol. Really, most of this report seems to be them explaining that Animal Crossing's success was very large and therefore profits appear to be down this year and that's okay...

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
I heard from some Nintendo "leakers" on Twitter that the FDC remakes barely made enough to cover the localization costs. And the fact that Nintendo decided to leave the games' sales a mystery might support that claim. I just hope Nintendo doesn't give up on the series just yet.

I find it hypocritical how some Nintendo fans demand the return of dead series, yet when Nintendo does bring some back, they like to turn a blind eye. I've seen multiple comments on tweets and videos relating to the FDC remakes and AW saying things like: "I'm happy for the fans of those series, but can you bring back X series." Short story: don't expect Nintendo to bring back more series if you're not going to support them!

On a different note, make sure to watch the following video!

Happy Birthday to our fellow commanding officer, Ura Ura !

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I heard from some Nintendo "leakers" on Twitter that the FDC remakes barely made enough to cover the localization costs. And the fact that Nintendo decided to leave the games' sales a mystery might support that claim. I just hope Nintendo doesn't give up on the series just yet.

I find it hypocritical how some Nintendo fans demand the return of dead series, yet when Nintendo does bring some back, they like to turn a blind eye. I've seen multiple comments on tweets and videos relating to the FDC remakes and AW saying things like: "I'm happy for the fans of those series, but can you bring back X series." Short story: don't expect Nintendo to bring back more series if you're not going to support them!

It happens EVERY TIME we get a dead series revived. People claim they want more diversity, yet when we get it, they just pretend it doesn't exist. I saw a meme about it on Twitter once, though I don't have it on me.

We can be such hypocrites, I swear...

amageish

Smash Master

If it's the same "leakers" we discussed in Ayumi's thread, then I wouldn't pay them much mind - I've seen a lot of claims that the game sales were just barely above the number that we know was the game's physical sales in Japan (~20k sales) which just wouldn't be possible unless they sold under ~5k worldwide digitally, which seems incredibly hard to believe. Even if they did sell poorly, they still did chart on the eShop in all regions, even if they weren't #1....

I've also discussed my feelings on the Nintendo fandom in Ayumi's thread... I 100% understand that Nintendo fans and influencers aren't Nintendo PR people and they don't need to be equally excited for or interested in every Nintendo IP. That said, what I do find exhausting is the "Nintendo is stagnant"/"Nintendo isn't releasing games"/"Nintendo doesn't innovate anymore"/"Nintendo doesn't respect the value of its IPs" banter from people who choose to ignore all Nintendo releases that don't happen to align with the handful of Nintendo franchises they truly care about. I find that behavior especially tiresome from YouTubers who use their platform to basically talk over game releases with "NINTENDOOMED" clickbait.

As for fans of other niche franchises... I also get wanting something to come back and being frustrated it doesn't happen, but I think that some people do need some perspective, especially when it comes to developers. MAGES and Wayfoward made/are-making FDC and AW. Discussions of "They should have done X instead" only makes sense if you want them made by those companies. And I don't think most F-Zero fans want an F-Zero visual novel from MAGES (though, personally, I would probably enjoy that more then an actual F-Zero remake NGL).

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord

Visual novels and Famicom Detective Club are kind of niche and the game went under the radar for a lot of people so I'm not surprised they didn't do super well. I do have hope for Advance Wars to perform much better though, I see a lot of big gaming personalities always praising the original games so word of mouth could be good. Also happy birthday mate Ura Ura

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Thanks for all the birthday wishes y'all!

On a different topic, i'm pretty sure you all heard about the 8/8 Smash DIrect takedown from Nintendo themselves. Some have speculated this could mean we could get a Smash Direct in August or even a shadowdrop on August 8th itself. Personally, I don't believe it and I think it's too early to reveal Fighter 11 but I thought I would ask the thread what they think. I do, however think there's a chance we could get a content update for things other than Fighter 11. Maybe even a surprise Mii Costume wave? Who knows.
We got the Sales Data from the Investor's Meeting and, as per usual, games under 1,000,000 units didn't have their sales data reported, confirming both FDC and Game Maker Garage haven't broken 1,000,000 in sales (which is very much not a surprise).

They did say that digital-only game sales remained strong, but that... doesn't really narrow much down when we're talking about the entire eShop lol. Really, most of this report seems to be them explaining that Animal Crossing's success was very large and therefore profits appear to be down this year and that's okay...
Ahh that sucks. I was hoping FDC would do well as a good sign to all the other dormant franchises but it is what it is haha. Maybe it'll get to the 1M mark over time like Astral Chain did, IDK.

It happens EVERY TIME we get a dead series revived. People claim they want more diversity, yet when we get it, they just pretend it doesn't exist. I saw a meme about it on Twitter once, though I don't have it on me.

We can be such hypocrites, I swear...
If it's the same "leakers" we discussed in Ayumi's thread, then I wouldn't pay them much mind - I've seen a lot of claims that the game sales were just barely above the number that we know was the game's physical sales in Japan (~20k sales) which just wouldn't be possible unless they sold under ~5k worldwide digitally, which seems incredibly hard to believe. Even if they did sell poorly, they still did chart on the eShop in all regions, even if they weren't #1....

I've also discussed my feelings on the Nintendo fandom in Ayumi's thread... I 100% understand that Nintendo fans and influencers aren't Nintendo PR people and they don't need to be equally excited for or interested in every Nintendo IP. That said, what I do find exhausting is the "Nintendo is stagnant"/"Nintendo isn't releasing games"/"Nintendo doesn't innovate anymore"/"Nintendo doesn't respect the value of its IPs" banter from people who choose to ignore all Nintendo releases that don't happen to align with the handful of Nintendo franchises they truly care about. I find that behavior especially tiresome from YouTubers who use their platform to basically talk over game releases with "NINTENDOOMED" clickbait.

As for fans of other niche franchises... I also get wanting something to come back and being frustrated it doesn't happen, but I think that some people do need some perspective, especially when it comes to developers. MAGES and Wayfoward made/are-making FDC and AW. Discussions of "They should have done X instead" only makes sense if you want them made by those companies. And I don't think most F-Zero fans want an F-Zero visual novel from MAGES (though, personally, I would probably enjoy that more then an actual F-Zero remake NGL).
Same thing happens with the “Nintendo never makes new IPs” crowd. A new IP comes out and I’m the only person to buy it. (cough Wonderful 101 cough)
Yeah I get this sentiment. People ask for the return of dormant franchises all the time and then don't do much to support them, Granted, that's not the case with like every one of them but I find this happens a lot.

Granted, something like F-Zero is bound to sell based on sheer hype value but that's about the only exception IMO. Golden Sun will probably have a lot of hype behind it thanks to Isaac's Smash Bros popularity but I feel people might complain about the artstyle the way they do with the Advance Wars remakes.

My hope is that come December, the Advance Wars remakes do well enough to warrant new games in the franchise and for AW to have a robust future where it gets all kinds of content. That doesn't happen without the remakes selling at least 1 million copies, IMO. Lets hope for good tidings come December 3rd.

amageish

Smash Master
On a different topic, i'm pretty sure you all heard about the 8/8 Smash DIrect takedown from Nintendo themselves. Some have speculated this could mean we could get a Smash Direct in August or even a shadowdrop on August 8th itself. Personally, I don't believe it and I think it's too early to reveal Fighter 11 but I thought I would ask the thread what they think. I do, however think there's a chance we could get a content update for things other than Fighter 11. Maybe even a surprise Mii Costume wave? Who knows.
Very odd that it is happening, but, yeah, I feel like it's way too early for FP11. My impulse is that it's just a weird contract with Konami (I know they didn't take down the standalone trailer, but it could be that their contract said they had to remove presentations after X years without saying they had to pull advertising in general)...

A standalone Mii Costume wave is something we did have during the Sm4sh era though and I could see it coming back now, especially as they probably want to make all the money they can before FP11 is out and Smash Bros isn't getting consistent free advertising via speculation.

Ahh that sucks. I was hoping FDC would do well as a good sign to all the other dormant franchises but it is what it is haha. Maybe it'll get to the 1M mark over time like Astral Chain did, IDK.
I mean, Ace Attorney Trilogy is a similar price for 3 games and it didn't reach 1M until almost 2 years after launch across PC/Xbox One/PS4/Switch... I think there's just some limits on the genre's appeal. Things like Doki Doki Literature Club Plus can sell 500,000 copies in 2 weeks, but you need a pretty big built-in fanbase plus promotion plus general internet discourse on your side to reach those numbers.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I didn't know COs were a thing back in the first game...

Makes me kinda wish we'd still get that mobile game. If it'd be anything like FEH, then a lot of these characters would get a much needed facelift.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Same thing happens with the “Nintendo never makes new IPs” crowd. A new IP comes out and I’m the only person to buy it.

I mean, sure, there's some level of hypocrisy to it, I'm sure a lot of people clamouring online don't end up buying, but I think it's more important to remember that hardcore vocal Nintendo fans are a tiny, and I mean miniscule, part of the customer base, and that's without reducing it further to account for language/region bubbles of discussion too. Most people want something they know they'll enjoy, which makes direct sequels to successful games the most profitable. Most people buying games now weren't playing (and let's be honest, weren't even alive) in the early 00's, let alone the 80's and 90's.

IMO, the success of AW will be down to new adopters, not the old guard stepping in to personally revive it. Not to say there isn't enough demand from old fans to revive it, just that we're a small group compared to the larger customer base. This is where something like FDC struggles, new adopters either don't know they want VNs, or they know they like VNs and FDC is one of many on the market.

And just to note, I know I've been guilty of talking about wanting things to come back without then supporting them. I just don't have the money to buy games I won't play and my video game time is much more restricted. Don't worry, AW1+2 is getting bought cos its perfect to pick up and put down in my current schedule. But I feel like there's pressure here to make people buy something, and as much as I want AW back, I don't like calling people out for not buying something.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Wanted to take a break from both Smashboards and Twitter for a bit.

With that being said, I have some very good news to share with this thread. GameStop recently revealed it's top ten most pre-ordered Switch games from the past two months. Guess which game made it in the Top 10? (obvious I know lol).

For those who don't want to read the article, I listed the Top 10 below.

1. Metroid Dread
2. Pokemon BD/SP Double Pack
3. Mario Party Superstars
4. Pokemon Legends Arceus
5. SMTV
6. Pokemon Brilliant Diamond (on it's own)
7. Wario Ware: Get it Together
8. Doki Doki Literature Club
9. Sonic Colors: Ultimate
10. Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re-Boot Camp

This is very good news for us because it shows the remakes are doing well enough to make it in various different best-selling charts. Recall back in June when I posted the best selling video games from Amazon. Advance Wars made it #4 on that list, even beating out WarioWare for that particular sales chart.

Also, this is before the Advance Wars remakes get it's big marketing push post-September Direct and also when it comes closer to launch. There's still more time to impress consumers who may be on the fence on purchasing for whatever reason. If nothing else, this is an encouraging sign. Let's just hope they'll release this game in Japan on time and not delay it there again.
Very odd that it is happening, but, yeah, I feel like it's way too early for FP11. My impulse is that it's just a weird contract with Konami (I know they didn't take down the standalone trailer, but it could be that their contract said they had to remove presentations after X years without saying they had to pull advertising in general)...

A standalone Mii Costume wave is something we did have during the Sm4sh era though and I could see it coming back now, especially as they probably want to make all the money they can before FP11 is out and Smash Bros isn't getting consistent free advertising via speculation.

I mean, Ace Attorney Trilogy is a similar price for 3 games and it didn't reach 1M until almost 2 years after launch across PC/Xbox One/PS4/Switch... I think there's just some limits on the genre's appeal. Things like Doki Doki Literature Club Plus can sell 500,000 copies in 2 weeks, but you need a pretty big built-in fanbase plus promotion plus general internet discourse on your side to reach those numbers.
Strong doubt on any contract with Konami expiring or any copyright issue. That's such a weirdly specific issue that I find hard to believe. Like, why stop there? Shouldn't the same thing apply to the E3 2018 Direct where Snake was revealed and shown off? But yeah, I could see a standalone Mii Costume wave in the interim if CP11 isn't going to be revealed soon. And here's hoping for FDC as a fan of dormant franchises coming back in general!
I didn't know COs were a thing back in the first game...

Makes me kinda wish we'd still get that mobile game. If it'd be anything like FEH, then a lot of these characters would get a much needed facelift.
It's funny that you mention this because all this time we've been talking about a potential mobile game (from like late-2019 through E3 2021), it would seem that insiders got Reboot Camp mistaken for an AW Mobile game. Which is a shame because as happy as I am that we got a Switch game, a mobile game to go along with it would have attracted a lot of attention towards this series and could expand it's appeal to those who might not have interest in AW.

Who knows though, maybe the remakes will do well enough to warrant a bigger budget game and said game would do well enough to earn itself a mobile game like an FEH-game for Advance Wars. Let's hope so.
CO's were in Famicom Wars, but they were locked to each particular map with no gameplay function. One of the CO's wore Samus's helmet, but were otherwise unremarkable.
Yep. IMO, Advance Wars was when CO's' were utilized at their best but I do love me the early installment weirdness with the Famicom Wars-era CO's haha.
I mean, sure, there's some level of hypocrisy to it, I'm sure a lot of people clamouring online don't end up buying, but I think it's more important to remember that hardcore vocal Nintendo fans are a tiny, and I mean miniscule, part of the customer base, and that's without reducing it further to account for language/region bubbles of discussion too. Most people want something they know they'll enjoy, which makes direct sequels to successful games the most profitable. Most people buying games now weren't playing (and let's be honest, weren't even alive) in the early 00's, let alone the 80's and 90's.

IMO, the success of AW will be down to new adopters, not the old guard stepping in to personally revive it. Not to say there isn't enough demand from old fans to revive it, just that we're a small group compared to the larger customer base. This is where something like FDC struggles, new adopters either don't know they want VNs, or they know they like VNs and FDC is one of many on the market.

And just to note, I know I've been guilty of talking about wanting things to come back without then supporting them. I just don't have the money to buy games I won't play and my video game time is much more restricted. Don't worry, AW1+2 is getting bought cos its perfect to pick up and put down in my current schedule. But I feel like there's pressure here to make people buy something, and as much as I want AW back, I don't like calling people out for not buying something.
I'd say it's a mix of both legacy fans that grew up with the GBA Advance Wars games as well as new adopters. But you're on the money on your assessment that the new generation of fans are going to do the "heavy lifting" of sorts when it comes to supporting this game. Which is fine by my book. Advance Wars being enjoyed by a new generation makes me happy to see this franchises legacy continue on and not dying in the GBA/DS-era lol.

And you're also right about the people complaining all the time about the artstyle/price tag being in the minority. Granted, I could see the price tag not going over well with some consumers (wish it could be priced differently but it is what it is I guess). Just the people I see dragging the game for whatever reason I can be happy knowing they don't speak for the majority of people who will be purchasing the remakes come December 3rd and that's a good feeling.
I recently found an amazing 8-bit version of the Tag Power theme from Dual Strike!
And here's also a cover if you want to check it out.
I've listened to both remixes (and for that note, most remixes for AW on Youtube lol). They're all great and I hope we get to hear a lot more as this franchise makes it's comeback this year and grows more popular.

amageish

Smash Master
Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Wanted to take a break from both Smashboards and Twitter for a bit.

With that being said, I have some very good news to share with this thread. GameStop recently revealed it's top ten most pre-ordered Switch games from the past two months. Guess which game made it in the Top 10? (obvious I know lol).

For those who don't want to read the article, I listed the Top 10 below.

1. Metroid Dread
2. Pokemon BD/SP Double Pack
3. Mario Party Superstars
4. Pokemon Legends Arceus
5. SMTV
6. Pokemon Brilliant Diamond (on it's own)
7. Wario Ware: Get it Together
8. Doki Doki Literature Club
9. Sonic Colors: Ultimate
10. Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re-Boot Camp

This is very good news for us because it shows the remakes are doing well enough to make it in various different best-selling charts. Recall back in June when I posted the best selling video games from Amazon. Advance Wars made it #4 on that list, even beating out WarioWare for that particular sales chart.
That is wonderful to see! I find it funny that that implies AW is beating Shining Pearl on its own lol. People really prefer Diamond more by that much, huh?

I'm also kind of shocked the Double Pack is being bought by that many pople...

Strong doubt on any contract with Konami expiring or any copyright issue. That's such a weirdly specific issue that I find hard to believe. Like, why stop there? Shouldn't the same thing apply to the E3 2018 Direct where Snake was revealed and shown off? But yeah, I could see a standalone Mii Costume wave in the interim if CP11 isn't going to be revealed soon. And here's hoping for FDC as a fan of dormant franchises coming back in general!
It is weirdly specific, but it's also a weirdly specific thing that has happened. Like, they removed all posts about it from the Smash website; this doesn't strike me as them merely clearly the way and trying to optimize YouTube's search engine... That said, if it is Konami, then I also agree it is quite odd/funny, as Konami IPs are still on the Smash banner and in ads and such...

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
I remember a Tweet in Japanese saying that Andy's wrench is a little bit larger in Re-Boot Camp. What if they knew ahead of time that Andy was joining Smash and made this change on purpose. Having a larger wrench to hit opponents with would look better and make more sense than using two smaller ones. If Andy is only holding a single wrench, then he can use his other hand to grab items!
Andy (Advance Wars).png

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
I’ve heard crazier stuff

added - after thinking about it a bit, it is a strange thing to tweak. Maybe several other hand held items in AW reboot are more toony for the sake of the art style. Or maybe you’re on to something and this was done somewhat intentionally.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I remember a Tweet in Japanese saying that Andy's wrench is a little bit larger in Re-Boot Camp. What if they knew ahead of time that Andy was joining Smash and made this change on purpose. Having a larger wrench to hit opponents with would look better and make more sense than using two smaller ones. If Andy is only holding a single wrench, then he can use his other hand to grab items!View attachment 326481
Careful, Andy! You can give somebody a concussion!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I remember a Tweet in Japanese saying that Andy's wrench is a little bit larger in Re-Boot Camp. What if they knew ahead of time that Andy was joining Smash and made this change on purpose. Having a larger wrench to hit opponents with would look better and make more sense than using two smaller ones. If Andy is only holding a single wrench, then he can use his other hand to grab items!View attachment 326481
The theory sounds nice on paper but I honestly I don't see that being the case here. This is more like a WayForward sort of stylistic design than it is foreshadowing a Smash inclusion. Also, Advance Wars is known for it's weird stylistic choices like Max getting more and more jacked with each passing installment lol.

But I would be over the moon if it was the case! Over the Blue Moon, that is! (bad pun I know haha).

amageish

Smash Master
Narrator Voice The leaker was wrong.

Points for making an original prediction, but they got 1/4 right (Marth being red, as, yes, Marth does have a sword). The rest was all wrong - Eirika was blue with a lance, not grey; Marianne being colourless with a tome, not green; and Gatekeeper being green with a "tome," not blue. Definitely a bad sign for that leaker's cred IMO, as a couple of those wrong guesses really followed conventional wisdom (ex/ Gatekeeper having a lance is something most thought was a sure thing, but he instead attacks via... opening a gate and having others pour out of it angrily). Really sounds like well-thought-out guess work to me...

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
Here's a concept I made for a hypothetical CO Pass for Re-Boot Camp!
Advance Wars CO Pass.png

I TRULY hope they consider some DLC, whether it be free or paid. I mean, it's a no-brainer. All the games Nintendo has released with an emphasis on online multiplayer have received some type of DLC. Just some examples: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS, Splatoon 2, and Smash. Heck, even some of their single-player games have received DLC!

I'll try to reply to them with this image whenever they tweet about the game again. Hopefully, they have plans for DLC or consider it if they haven't done it yet.

What COs would you add from Dual Strike and why?

Top Bottom