• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orange Star's Hyperactive Whiz Kid! - Andy For Smash Ultimate! We'll Live To Fight Another Day...

Favorite Advance Wars Game (Not Including pre-AW and Battalion Wars)

• Total voters

amageish

Smash Master
"Advance Wars was never this childish and it's alienating adult fans/they won't let me feel like a war commander now."
I get that any art style change is going to be divisive, but I always find this kind of discourse tiring... The "I projected onto pixel art and now that it isn't pixel art I cannot project theatre of the mind onto it" thing is something I just don't jive with, I guess.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I get that any art style change is going to be divisive, but I always find this kind of discourse tiring... The "I projected onto pixel art and now that it isn't pixel art I cannot project theatre of the mind onto it" thing is something I just don't jive with, I guess.
I don't even see why this is such a big problem for some. I mean, pixel art would make sense if this were an indie game or an E-Shop exclusive but it's not. It's a full-fledged, 3D game being sold at full price and is also one of Nintendo's key holiday titles for 2021 (Japanese announcement pending, hopefully in the September Direct).

And like, the originals are always still there for the people upset that it's not pixelated anymore. As the trailer mentioned, this game is "reimagined and rebuilt from the ground up". They're not going to do literally everything 1:1 to how it was in the GBA games. And you know what? That's totally fine. I honestly like the 3D take and i'm willing to give it a chance unlike others who were quick to dismiss the art style.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Now that I think about it, the soldiers exaggerated movements are actually very much in line with those of Battalion Wars.

Reboots are honestly better off seeking new fans than ones who have spent over a decade possibly being bitter and going to the dark side of (free) emulation and fan works.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
I played through both battalion wars games and loved em. I welcome ridiculous cartoony warfare! Can’t be rated M for Mature if the combat and death is adorable!

sidebar - people hated on Windwaker too, look how that changed

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I played through both battalion wars games and loved em. I welcome ridiculous cartoony warfare! Can’t be rated M for Mature if the combat and death is adorable!

My headcanon of the first game's combat was that absolutely everyone had instant ejector seats when destroyed. Even the footsoldiers, who would go flying when shot, probably straight back to base.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp

This is actually something I've brought up elsewhere. The game needed an art style change because they can't use an updated version of the older art style and still be child friendly. Also war is seen pretty differently now than it was in 2001-2003... You can't pull off childish naivety and OCs having wars for fun quite like you could before the Iraq War made it all a LOT more real for people in the West. The games needed to change artistic direction cos the gaming landscape has changed in the last 20 years.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
This is actually something I've brought up elsewhere. The game needed an art style change because they can't use an updated version of the older art style and still be child friendly. Also war is seen pretty differently now than it was in 2001-2003... You can't pull off childish naivety and OCs having wars for fun quite like you could before the Iraq War made it all a LOT more real for people in the West. The games needed to change artistic direction cos the gaming landscape has changed in the last 20 years.
I'm not sure I'm following, are you saying these games are considered offensive now? Because the violence in the remake is just as toony as ever, in fact the soldiers flying away when "killed" now have a smoke trail that makes it even more obvious. Oh, and the tanks all go up in mushroom clouds.

If anything Battalion War's more obvious national inspirations seem more likely to get under one's skin, but eh, Punch-Out kind of did the same and that went over fine. Though I'd be lying if I wasn't annoyed by how goody-goody the Solar Empire was compared to all the others. That honor-obsessed admiral felt like he was just added to make them seem not so perfect, but their real leader makes up for that.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Now that I think about it, the soldiers exaggerated movements are actually very much in line with those of Battalion Wars.

Reboots are honestly better off seeking new fans than ones who have spent over a decade possibly being bitter and going to the dark side of (free) emulation and fan works.
Pretty much this. Those kinds of complainers are just gonna emulate **** so yeah lol. At least there's merit in pursuing a new demographic for this franchise while a lot of the old guard supports it as well.
My headcanon of the first game's combat was that absolutely everyone had instant ejector seats when destroyed. Even the footsoldiers, who would go flying when shot, probably straight back to base.
My headcanon for Rivals was that Andy & Eagle were playing a simulation rather than actually engaging each other in warfare. And TBH, I hope this is the canon explanation in the remakes.

Like, we get our collective hides handed to us until we finally complete the mission. But then the game pans out and it's Andy & Eagle telling each other "good game my dude!" with each CO holding a Nintendo Switch, revealing they were playing a simulation the whole time on the Switch. It would be a really funny moment and Advance Wars is the kind of franchise where you can break the fourth wall and not have it be awkward lol.
Why am I thinking Team Rocket?
Team Orange Star is blasting off again!!! (Andy, Sami, & Max are launched in the air)
True that, the times were an important factor as well in the change of tone in the Advance Wars games. I mean, even before Days of Ruin the games were getting more serious in tone. You could feel it by playing the first GBA game, then Black Hole Rising, and then Dual Strike. Each installment feels and looks more serious and strikes a somewhat less happy-go-lucky feel with each entry. Then of course, Days of Ruin happened but that was more of a case of the developers wanting to "surprise" the players after feeling things were too repetitive.
I'm not sure I'm following, are you saying these games are considered offensive now? Because the violence in the remake is just as toony as ever, in fact the soldiers flying away when "killed" now have a smoke trail that makes it even more obvious. Oh, and the tanks all go up in mushroom clouds.
They're not, it's just that the Advance Wars games were coming out in a post-9/11 world as well as the Iraq War. A game that makes light of war around that time didn't go over well with some because of very real world events. Nowadays, it's different with the landscape changing as DNeon DNeon mentioned.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
My headcanon for Rivals was that Andy & Eagle were playing a simulation rather than actually engaging each other in warfare. And TBH, I hope this is the canon explanation in the remakes.

Like, we get our collective hides handed to us until we finally complete the mission. But then the game to pans out and it's Andy & Eagle telling each other "good game my dude!" with each CO holding a Nintendo Switch, revealing they were playing a simulation the whole time on the Switch. It would be a really funny moment and Advance Wars is the kind of franchise where you can break the fourth wall and not have it be awkward lol.
Was there a joke to that effect with Lash in Dual Strike where Hawke has to pull her off some kind of game to deal with the situation at hand?

Yeah, I think Wayforward is going to have fun with Lash.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Was there a joke to that effect with Lash in Dual Strike where Hawke has to pull her off some kind of game to deal with the situation at hand?

Yeah, I think Wayforward is going to have fun with Lash.
I don't remember personally but maybe there was something like that added in the Western localization lol. Localization teams tend to do that when bringing Japanese games to the West.

Lash is going to be interesting although i'm really looking forward to how Hawke and Sturm come out in these remakes. Also, if Sturm will be based on his AW1 or AW2 look. The latter is more likely given Olaf but who's to say?

Also, characterization of certain CO's will be interesting and if WayForward will tweak some of their personalities.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I'm not sure I'm following, are you saying these games are considered offensive now?
Inappropriate, not offensive. The new game doesn't look inappropriate, but a more faithful version of the originals may have been, to have COs be treating war so trivially while animating it more realistically would have been an issue. I was saying that instead, as you point out, the new games are more cartoony than ever which takes the edge off the combat. The whole battlefield has a toy-like aesthetic that allows the game to embrace its childish naivete about warfare without story and visuals being at odds with each other.

So pretty much the opposite direction the original sequels went with the concept, which dealt with the disconnect by embracing realism and a serious tone.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Inappropriate, not offensive. The new game doesn't look inappropriate, but a more faithful version of the originals may have been, to have COs be treating war so trivially while animating it more realistically would have been an issue. I was saying that instead, as you point out, the new games are more cartoony than ever which takes the edge off the combat. The whole battlefield has a toy-like aesthetic that allows the game to embrace its childish naivete about warfare without story and visuals being at odds with each other.
I think I agree. The art style allows us to keep the more dramatic moments with the commanders without worrying that your soldiers are getting PTSD every time one of their allies gets shot away...

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I think I agree. The art style allows us to keep the more dramatic moments with the commanders without worrying that your soldiers are getting PTSD every time one of their allies gets shot away...
Or having to deal with the moral quandaries of pumping out cheap infantry to use as human meat shields.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'm legit blown away by the love Advance Wars gets from some Japanese Twitter users. Like, I was searching for AW content and I came across these gems.

For a franchise that's seen bad luck in Japan, i'm very impressed by the amount of people I see on Twitter asking for the game to be released in Japan. Honestly, Nintendo would have to be really dumb to omit the game's release there or even delay it.

Granted, i'm very much in the mindset that these remakes are releasing worldwide December 3rd and the announcement for Japan is being saved in the September Direct. I'm just saying because these remakes are supposed to be testing the waters before a new game is made and you can't just omit it from one of your biggest markets.

Last edited:

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
Any thoughts on what music tracks would come with Andy? Right off the bat I think the obvious picks are Andy's Theme, Max's Theme, and Sami's Theme, and my personal picks would include Grit's Theme, Sensei's Theme, Adder's Theme, Sturm's Theme, and some classic turn themes from Famicom Wars and Super Famicom Wars.

As for a stage, gotta go with Bean Island which is in every game in some form AFAIK. It's the first map in Famicom Wars, the first classic map in Super Famicom Wars, and the first versus map in Advance Wars 2 at least.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Very cool, I hope Japan gets the game too. I'm definitely jumping to conclusions but a Smash reveal coinciding with a worldwide release date would be quite tactical.
Japan will most certainly get this game. If FDC was localized and released the same day worldwide, there's no reason to believe the same won't happen with AW as I mentioned before.

As for a Smash reveal, I can see it happening but the competition for the Fighter 11 spot is fierce. I think that last spot could easily go to an SMT character, Master Chief, another Pokemon, or even an Assist Trophy upgrade. Regardless, i'm holding on to hope that this franchise gets that last spot.
Any thoughts on what music tracks would come with Andy? Right off the bat I think the obvious picks are Andy's Theme, Max's Theme, and Sami's Theme, and my personal picks would include Grit's Theme, Sensei's Theme, Adder's Theme, Sturm's Theme, and some classic turn themes from Famicom Wars and Super Famicom Wars.

As for a stage, gotta go with Bean Island which is in every game in some form AFAIK. It's the first map in Famicom Wars, the first classic map in Super Famicom Wars, and the first versus map in Advance Wars 2 at least.
Aside from the obvious inclusions of Andy, Sami, and Max' theme, I would want Nell's theme in there because of how iconic it is. I would also have 1 theme song from a Blue Moon, Yellow Comet, and Green Earth CO respectively and one from a Black Hole CO. I would also have a CO Power remix that covers all the power up theme's from Black Hole Rising, Dual Strike, and Days of Ruin. Lastly, I would have a track from Famicom Wars and Battalion Wars to showcase the legacy this franchise has.

As far as a stage is concerned, I would just have it be like Castle Siege in a sense that it incorporates Advance Wars as a whole rather than being a specfifc location. I was thinking something like a stage where there's two HQ's that can be captured and players can deploy units to fight for them in battle. I talked more about this idea in my Challenger Pack concept for Andy back in November.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I know that what I'm about to say could mean nothing. But what IF this is a hint? 6 Intelligent Systems characters = 6th challenger pack being another IS character aka Andy!
Intresting observation but I highly doubt that means anything haha. I think this is more like Sakurai posting a picture to the effect of "3 playable FE characters next to 3 non-playable FE characters" rather than a hint at AW.

Trust me, I unironically semi-believed Daisy Theory during Fighter 5 speculation so I know a thing or two about reaching lol.

That being said, i'm sort of glad people are taking Andy more seriously in Smash speculation these days. At least there's an argument to be made VS before when people would think you're crazy for thinking Advance Wars had a chance for DLC.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Intresting observation but I highly doubt that means anything haha. I think this is more like Sakurai posting a picture to the effect of "3 playable FE characters next to 3 non-playable FE characters" rather than a hint at AW.

Trust me, I unironically semi-believed Daisy Theory during Fighter 5 speculation so I know a thing or two about reaching lol.

That being said, i'm sort of glad people are taking Andy more seriously in Smash speculation these days. At least there's an argument to be made VS before when people would think you're crazy for thinking Advance Wars had a chance for DLC.
The main downside is that most are talking about him in the contexf of being a first-party shill pick, and we all know how Smash fans feel about those...

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
In the chance you're being serious, "shill" basically means "promotional": as in, they're only here to promote one of Nintendo's new games.
Also, Smash fans like to believe that a Nintendo character can only get in if they debuted six months ago. They didn't learn to be less focused on that from Min Min and Pyra because they still debuted on the Switch, even though they both break the "3H and Gen 8 are the only possible first parties" rule.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Also, Smash fans like to believe that a Nintendo character can only get in if they debuted six months ago. They didn't learn to be less focused on that from Min Min and Pyra because they still debuted on the Switch, even though they both break the "3H and Gen 8 are the only possible first parties" rule.
Yeah you can argue that Min Min and Pyra are still "promotional" because there games are still actively selling on the most recent console, but the shilling is definitely much less blatant when their games of origin are from "way back" in 2017. Personally, I like them waiting like this before putting newer characters in Smash just so that they have enough time to prove that they're going to be memorable, rather than forgettable (like Incineroar imo).

But as for Andy and Advance Wars, I wouldn't consider them a full-on shill pick if they took the last roster spot in Ultimate. We have seen historically that a game getting remade typically does not get it a character in Smash (first example that comes to mind is when several people thought an FE2 character like Celica could be likely). So if Andy or another Advance Wars character were added, I feel that it would not solely be due to the new remake; rather, it would be a combination of a long and strong track record of series releases AND a renewed relevance on the Switch beyond just the remakes (I would assume that an AW character being chosen would indicate an intention to continue the series on the Switch beyond the current remake).

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The main downside is that most are talking about him in the contexf of being a first-party shill pick, and we all know how Smash fans feel about those...
I only ever want 1st party picks. What the heck does shill even mean? Dang kids these days and their slang :facepalm:
In the chance you're being serious, "shill" basically means "promotional": as in, they're only here to promote one of Nintendo's new games.
Thank you that was helpful. If Andy or Sami get in to promote Reboot camp I’m totally ok with it.
Which is really dumb because Andy is anything other than a shill lol. People under the impression that Andy would be in Smash to shill Re-Boot Camp are mistaken because Andy's from a legacy franchise not to mention a critically acclaimed one that's influential in Nintendo history. It's not like putting the flipping protag of Sushi Strikers in Smash Ultimate to shill for that game lmao.

Andy or anyone from Advance Wars being in Smash isn't to shill for Re-Boot Camp. If anything, having a game to promote is the missing "piece of the puzzle" for his or anyone else's inclusion. Like I mentioned before, it would be a combination of being the last historic, influential Nintendo franchise left in Smash Bros and not to mention a very critically acclaimed one at that. Promotion is just the much needed "relevance" factor that's always been lacking for this franchise.
Yeah you can argue that Min Min and Pyra are still "promotional" because there games are still actively selling on the most recent console, but the shilling is definitely much less blatant when their games of origin are from "way back" in 2017. Personally, I like them waiting like this before putting newer characters in Smash just so that they have enough time to prove that they're going to be memorable, rather than forgettable (like Incineroar imo).

But as for Andy and Advance Wars, I wouldn't consider them a full-on shill pick if they took the last roster spot in Ultimate. We have seen historically that a game getting remade typically does not get it a character in Smash (first example that comes to mind is when several people thought an FE2 character like Celica could be likely). So if Andy or another Advance Wars character were added, I feel that it would not solely be due to the new remake; rather, it would be a combination of a long and strong track record of series releases AND a renewed relevance on the Switch beyond just the remakes (I would assume that an AW character being chosen would indicate an intention to continue the series on the Switch beyond the current remake).
Couldn't have said it any better myself, well said SPEN.

Should this franchise get the last spot in Smash Ultimate, it would paint a good picture for this franchise's prospects going forward and that it's a series Nintendo wants to push in the future. Basically like it was in the 2000's but on a bigger scale and successful worldwide instead of just the West.

Last edited:

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
They could have included 5 seconds or so of two guys playing AW in tabletop mode or even local pay. For crying out loud, this Switch model even has an improved stand! I guess it is what it is. . .

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
They could have included 5 seconds or so of two guys playing AW in tabletop mode or even local pay. For crying out loud, this Switch model even has an improved stand! I guess it is what it is. . .
The same ad is used in Japan, guess they want to hide AW from them for now.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
To be fair, WarioWare: Get It Together and Shin Megami Tensai V aren't featured in this reveal either. And yes, third party reveals do happen in hardware reveals like when Skyrim was shown off when the Switch was first revealed in 2016.

I would say not to worry about it personally. It is what it is as you mentioned and I don't believe it has any barring on Advance Wars.
The same ad is used in Japan, guess they want to hide AW from them for now.
That's a pretty funny prospect but I think you might be on to something. I mean, chances are the game won't be shown off there until September so it makes sense.

I think September onwards, Nintendo is going to be pushing this game a lot harder than it has been recently. Especially after Metroid Dread releases since that's the big game Nintendo's promoting right now. Once that releases, I feel marketing for Advance Wars: Re-Boot Camp is going to increase significantly and be featured a lot more prominently in promotional material.

SilentSentinel

Smash Apprentice
Replaying Dual Strike for the first time in like 12 years and I'm floored at how much content is in this game. The announcement had me itching for some AW and it's not part of the package, so I figured I'd play this one again. I had completely forgotten about the real time combat minigame they threw in there!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Replaying Dual Strike for the first time in like 12 years and I'm floored at how much content is in this game. The announcement had me itching for some AW and it's not part of the package, so I figured I'd play this one again. I had completely forgotten about the real time combat minigame they threw in there!
Dual Strike is packed with content for sure, I remember playing the game on the Wii U and being very impressed with the amount of content in the game. There was even a survival mode IIRC not to mention the RTS minigame you mentioned. Although said mini-game was weird because regular infantry units could take out tanks and what have you.

I really hope the DS Advance Wars games get ported to the Switch's E-Shop. Reason being is because I don't want another remake after Re-Boot Camp and would much rather have a new game proper. Hopefully before the Switch is done and Nintendo moves on to it's next console.

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So i've been meaning to ask this thread this question for some time in regards to how well the remakes will sell.

What do you think Nintendo's sales expectations are for Re-Boot Camp? Also, at what benchmark would you consider the remakes to be...

• A flop
  • Pitiful
  • Passable
  • A success
  • A breakout hit

For me personally, this is how much each of those benchmarks entail.

• A flop (<500K units sold)
  • Pitiful (500-700K units sold)
  • Passable (700-999K units sold)
  • A success (1M-2M units sold)
  • A breakout hit (Anything over 2M units sold)

Curious to see what you guys think of this and if you agree or disagree with these benchmarks so please let me know. It would be an interesting discussion talking about how much these remakes need to sell to be successful.
When I tweeted this, the idea of getting anything Advance Wars from Nintendo seemed like a pipe dream. Let's hope these remakes bring new fans to the series!
I mean this time last month, people would think you're wack for thinking Advance Wars had any shot lol. Even more the reason why these remakes need to sell otherwise that's going to continue for the next 15-20 years.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So i've been meaning to ask this thread this question for some time in regards to how well the remakes will sell.

What do you think Nintendo's sales expectations are for Re-Boot Camp? Also, at what benchmark would you consider the remakes to be...

• A flop
  • Pitiful
  • Passable
  • A success
  • A breakout hit

For me personally, this is how much each of those benchmarks entail.

• A flop (<500K units sold)
  • Pitiful (500-700K units sold)
  • Passable (700-999K units sold)
  • A success (1M-2M units sold)
  • A breakout hit (Anything over 2M units sold)

Curious to see what you guys think of this and if you agree or disagree with these benchmarks so please let me know. It would be an interesting discussion talking about how much these remakes need to sell to be successful.

I mean this time last month, people would think you're wack for thinking Advance Wars had any shot lol. Even more the reason why these remakes need to sell otherwise that's going to continue for the next 15-20 years.
I agree with those benchmarks, though in practice I think anything below the passable mark would be seen as a flop.

As for what Nintendo's expecting, I imagine somewhere between the upper echelons of "passable" and the lower end of a "success". Breaking a mil will probably guarantee a future of some kind for the franchise. Here's hoping the game can ride the E3 buzz all the way to 2M+, that would certainly be a breakthrough for us!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I agree with those benchmarks, though in practice I think anything below the passable mark would be seen as a flop.

As for what Nintendo's expecting, I imagine somewhere between the upper echelons of "passable" and the lower end of a "success". Breaking a mil will probably guarantee a future of some kind for the franchise. Here's hoping the game can ride the E3 buzz all the way to 2M+, that would certainly be a breakthrough for us!
Yep, i'm thinking anything lower than 700K units (what AW1 sold, the best selling entry in the franchise so far) is certain death for this franchise and all but assures we won't see it for another 15-20 years.

I'm hoping this game does 1 Million units within 3 months to show that this game is a worthy investment and that Nintendo should fund a bigger budget, new game either developed by WayForward or IntSys, But personally, i'm hoping this game breaks 2Mil+ sold around it's 1 year anniversary (December 2022).
Sounds about right. Hopefully the Dec. release will help it out a bit.
I think so as well because the remakes have nothing to compete with other than the Danganronpa collection releasing on the same day. A release window like that should elevate sales by a noticeable amount at least.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I think so as well because the remakes have nothing to compete with other than the Danganronpa collection releasing on the same day. A release window like that should elevate sales by a noticeable amount at least.
There's still a chance that Nintendo could announce a game in a Fall Direct for Holiday 21, but even with that I still think it should be a good window for AW.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
There's still a chance that Nintendo could announce a game in a Fall Direct for Holiday 21, but even with that I still think it should be a good window for AW.
Strong doubt on that my dude. If Nintendo had any major titles to be announced for 2021, it would have been announced at the E3 Direct. I'm not saying that they can't announce anything for December but if they did, it would have to be something smaller like an E-Shop exclusive title or some shovelware thing lol.

As far as major releases go for Nintendo, there's nothing for Advance Wars to compete with other than the aforementioned Danganronpa collection.
I've been looking for compilations of people's reactions to AW Re-Boot Camp. And I finally found something!
As far as reactions go, no one beats RogersBase's reaction to the announcement. Like, this man's excitement is genuine and he is a long time fan of this franchise.

If Etika were still alive, he would have popped off huge for this announcement. He talked a lot before about how big of a fan he was of Advance Wars so he would have loved this.

Top Bottom