• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orange Star's Hyperactive Whiz Kid! - Andy For Smash Ultimate! We'll Live To Fight Another Day...

Favorite Advance Wars Game (Not Including pre-AW and Battalion Wars)

• Total voters

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The latter is a really plausible theory. That era were times that both series were struggling at the same time. Ike's games flopped and the sales of Wars continuously dropped per game (with Days of Ruin being the worst). Knowing Intelligent Systems, they talk about it but don't know what they can do to make it accessible to the same audience Awakening/Fates has. Perhaps that lack of ideas of how to improve the series is why they are so adamant on that. Knowing one can't have marriage or deep relationship in a game with disposable units directed by a CO. Or fanservice for that matter (God forbid Nel become the new Camilla).

Who knows were these other Wars fans are hiding. Some are vocal and others aren't. Unless they have a secret hideout in the vein of Earthbound and StarTropics having fan forums.
There is a dedicated AW forum that's decently active. Not sure how many are interested in Smash though.

https://forums.warsworldnews.com/index.php

I mean AW doesn't have to have the same audience FE has. AW can still amass a significant audience without becoming FE lite. Like FE is the story driven game appealing to fans who like character interactions and romance whereas AW appeals to fans looking for a great multiplayer, TBS experience and playing/sharing maps with friends on the go and online. Not to mention the potential competitive community AW could draw through it's design. It's a winning formula for the franchise and one IS can do if they finally take the time to make a new game in the franchise.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Played two Advance Wars games, loved both of ‘em, so any character from Wars is welcome by me. That said, I’m partial to the orange doofus.

Might be off-topic, but if AW makes a return, what are the odds it won’t be anime-fanservice-y like FE?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Played two Advance Wars games, loved both of ‘em, so any character from Wars is welcome by me. That said, I’m partial to the orange doofus.

Might be off-topic, but if AW makes a return, what are the odds it won’t be anime-fanservice-y like FE?
Glad you enjoyed them! The GBA games are favorites of mine and are some of the best games on that system.

If AW were to return; if ever, I would say there's a very likely possibility that it would be anime-fied similar to FE to pander to waifu lover base. Which is both a good and bad thing for the franchise. Bad in that it won't be the AW we all know and love but good because it would explode in popularity like FE did with Awakening.

Lots of theories have been made on how a new AW game would look like. There would probably more interactions between CO's and relationships being formed in and out of battle. CO's would actually use units in game and it's your job to keep them alive (though I doubt there would be permadeath, even FE has distances itself from that). You would also be able to level up your CO's and they could get promoted similar to FE. Dual Strike already had a system like this with CO skills so maybe that concept will be expanded on further. I think their will also be a feature in between missions where your CO's would socialize with each other and convey secrets with one another; building upon the relationship idea. This was RamOne RamOne 's idea by the way and I figure this is something IS would do.

I think the setting will take place in an academy of sorts at least initially at the start of the game. I think it would serve a similar purpose Field Training did in AW1 where you learn everything there is to know about the game. In it you would be introduced to all the CO's in the game and it would act as a central hub throughout the story I guess. Players can also go crazy with shipping different CO's with others which is what IS thinks will sell the game lol.

I don't think the core gameplay is going to change much other than what I mentioned before. AW already doesn't have permadeath so it won't need to be changed like FE did. Maybe they'll add an Easy Campaign in addition to the Normal and Hard ones existing already where maps are easier to beat and you have an advantage over your enemy. It's going to have the same wacky humor and dumb plot points we all love about the game albeit in a much more anime way. IDK if the Wars World crew will return but I really hope that's where the game will take place. A new setting is more likely I feel even though I think the older CO's from past games will be DLC similar to Awakening.

A big feature the game would have is it's multiplayer aspect where you create and share maps on the go with friends and battle it out anywhere true to the Switch's gimmick. Then there's online where you can take on anyone with or without the CO's you used in your campaign. AW's multiplayer would really make it stand out from FE who's multiplayer is virtually non-existent. Then there's potential for competitive multiplayer through unique maps and different strategies used in battle which gives it a lot of depth.

So yeah as you can see the potential for this game is huge. I just wish IS will let it out of the doghouse already. As as said before though here's hoping for Andy as a retro even if i'm doubtful. It is the franchises 30th anniversary and it's the least IS can do for us.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I'm surprised I haven't posted in this thread before, but I'm hella down for Andy. I had a moveset concept I posted somewhere here around Ballot time that I'll dig around for.

I mostly just love trap and setup characters and Andy (or any AW CO for that matter) seems like it'd be the ideal for that, somewhere between Duck Hunt, Bowser Jr, Zelda and ROB (just now realising that all of the movest I'm referring to there are down Bs).

Also as far as an AW revival goes, I think IS needs to concentrate on the global aspect, multiple nations warring kinda thing. That's how it really separates from FE, and presents a new and exciting way to characterise the COs without marriages and ****, as you can forge uneasy alliances, focus on one CO over another, and have the nations themselves develop. I'm thinking Pyre levels of replayability with the different dialogue based just on who you choose to face first.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'm surprised I haven't posted in this thread before, but I'm hella down for Andy. I had a moveset concept I posted somewhere here around Ballot time that I'll dig around for.

I mostly just love trap and setup characters and Andy (or any AW CO for that matter) seems like it'd be the ideal for that, somewhere between Duck Hunt, Bowser Jr, Zelda and ROB (just now realising that all of the movest I'm referring to there are down Bs).

Also as far as an AW revival goes, I think IS needs to concentrate on the global aspect, multiple nations warring kinda thing. That's how it really separates from FE, and presents a new and exciting way to characterise the COs without marriages and ****, as you can forge uneasy alliances, focus on one CO over another, and have the nations themselves develop. I'm thinking Pyre levels of replayability with the different dialogue based just on who you choose to face first.
Really? I imagined Andy as a zoning character. Utilizing his units like his Artillery, Anti-Airs, and Tanks to strike from a distance while he fight with his wrench in close quarters. Another idea is to summon Infantry and Mechs to fight similar to their AT.

Yeah what you said could also be integrated with what I mentioned before. The problem with that is that usually the Allied Nations are all buddy-buddy with each other with the exception of Orange Star and Blue Moon who seem to not have the best of relationships. That's the impression I got with AW1 and AW2 though Dual Strike pretty much has everyone as friends (it's story is completely wack anyways lol)

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
The thing about the allied nations is that no matter how buddy-buddy they are, as soon as someone is willing to frame Orange Star, everyone is 100% ready to blow up the peaceful alliance. I think it's just a matter of how war is weirdly 'jolly' in the series, and that's part of what makes it difficult to revitalise (and why I fully expect any 'revitalisation' to result in the units all being robots/drones). If that 'jolly/buddy-buddy' feeling was to be preserved then it could also be possible to play the same card as always, that they were peaceful, some evil force starts meddling and then wars break out, and its not until you've 'won' that the real threat reveals itself.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The thing about the allied nations is that no matter how buddy-buddy they are, as soon as someone is willing to frame Orange Star, everyone is 100% ready to blow up the peaceful alliance. I think it's just a matter of how war is weirdly 'jolly' in the series, and that's part of what makes it difficult to revitalise (and why I fully expect any 'revitalisation' to result in the units all being robots/drones). If that 'jolly/buddy-buddy' feeling was to be preserved then it could also be possible to play the same card as always, that they were peaceful, some evil force starts meddling and then wars break out, and its not until you've 'won' that the real threat reveals itself.
Well I mean the clone thing was done twice in AW1 and AWDS so I think the Allied Nations would know if Andy starting running around attacking their nations for no reason. They would suspect Black Hole's manipulation again and would team up to drive them out. Either that or everyone in Wars World has a brain of a peanut lol.

I wasn't joking about the buddy-buddy thing lol. The Allied Nations were even fully accepting of taking in Lash and Hawke after all the awful things they did to them in AW2 (and the first half of AWDS for that matter) and they're all like "na it's okay you guys are cool" lol. And it isn't even them taking them in to get intel on Black Hole they just didn't care at all. Lash and Hawke didn't even apologize for their crimes and they presumably let go off the hook after the Campaign. Lash even continues to mock the other allies after joining.

They might as well all be holding hands and singing Christmas carols lol. AW's story is so wack but it's the reason we've come to love this series. That and it's amazing gameplay of course.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I found it, turns out it was much less 'trap based' than I was now thinking of and actually very similar to your ideas.

All tilts, aerials, smashes, jab and dash are just done with wrenches.

Grabs will be assisted by infantry units with a projectile follow up, mechs for a small explosive rocket on forward and back throws, regular infantry will just shoot a line to assist on down and up throws.

Neutral Special: Hyper Repair/Hyper Upgrade: Andy charges his CO stars by doing damage (only himself, not his units), if at 3 stars he can use hyper repair (healing himself), if at 6 he'll use hyper upgrade (also healing and proving armour of some sort for the next few moves).

Side Special: Command ____: charges a unit in similar fashion to Pacman's Neutral B, going from recon up to super tank (traveling along the ground like a koopa, but not turning at ledges). pressing B while it's in travel will cause it to fire, doing a short ranged but tall large blast forward and then disappearing.

Up special: Battle copters: a pair of copters appear above Andy's head, if B is pressed again he'll grab onto them for a fairly controlled recovery (similar to Olimar and Villager), if not they just fly slightly upwards (approx. platform level) and then forwards firing diagonally downwards occasionally.

Down special: Artillery: places an artillery unit behind Andy that starts charging up for a projectile attack. This attack does and arc similar to Mii Gunners grenade, but slightly higher arc and shorter range. If done in an smash input then the artillery will be replaced by rockets, that have a lower but longer arc, and also takes longer to charge up.

All units created by these attacks have health of varying strength, so can be destroyed. The idea would be to force an approach from the opponent and then start using Andy's attacks to build charge, then use specials again to cover for a small period while he's using his neutral for a heal/upgrade. I'm not a great artist so I'm sorry if some of the stuff I'm trying to say is hard to visualise.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
DNeon DNeon I like it, but Hyper Upgrade seems more like a fitting Final Smash to me, assuming they return. I'm not good at estimating how balanced things are, but I think It would heal (a big) percentage of his health and makes his units stronger or even invincible for the same period as other FS'es like Giga Bowser and Wario Man. Of course, this is all accompanied by the classic AW way by Andy saying a line before the SCO Power activation cutscene plays.
I'm at a loss for a Neutral special replacement, though. :p

IDK if the Wars World crew will return but I really hope that's where the game will take place. A new setting is more likely I feel even though I think the older CO's from past games will be DLC similar to Awakening.
If romance is going to be a thing, which is probably going to be considering IS' interview, I think it's the best to have new CO's. The CO's of the past 4 games already have existing relationships, and it would be weird to suddenly have Eagle romance Nell or to have Lin going after Waylon. Of course, they could always retcon stuff, like they did with the Grit/Nell/Max love triangle of AW1. But then again, I think the chance of ever having an AW5 is close to (F-)zero. Besides, how many of the AW-team still works at IS, for example?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
DNeon DNeon I like it, but Hyper Upgrade seems more like a fitting Final Smash to me, assuming they return. I'm not good at estimating how balanced things are, but I think It would heal (a big) percentage of his health and makes his units stronger or even invincible for the same period as other FS'es like Giga Bowser and Wario Man. Of course, this is all accompanied by the classic AW way by Andy saying a line before the SCO Power activation cutscene plays.

I'm at a loss for a Neutral special replacement, though. :p
I actually used to think Hyper Upgrade would be better as Andy's Final Smash though I think it would be much better if Andy had a CO Power Meter true to the games similar to Little Mac's meter where he can use Hyper Repair when his meter is charged at 3 stars and Hyper Upgrade at 6 stars. Repair would let Andy recover 20% damage while Upgrade would let Andy recover 50% damage along with a stats boost for a limited period of time. You might think that's OP and all but it would take some time for Andy to charge all the way to 6 stars and most players would opt to spam Hyper Repair to get that 20% damage reduction throughout the battle. Just think of how useful that would be in competitive Smash lol.

As for a Neutral special I pitched the Artillery as his Neutral B because he would be able to aim it upwards, downwards, or sideways and could zone out his enemies. Another idea I had was a special involving his wrench where he could toss his wrench and catch items with it or even ground his foes.
I found it, turns out it was much less 'trap based' than I was now thinking of and actually very similar to your ideas.

All tilts, aerials, smashes, jab and dash are just done with wrenches.

Grabs will be assisted by infantry units with a projectile follow up, mechs for a small explosive rocket on forward and back throws, regular infantry will just shoot a line to assist on down and up throws.

Neutral Special: Hyper Repair/Hyper Upgrade: Andy charges his CO stars by doing damage (only himself, not his units), if at 3 stars he can use hyper repair (healing himself), if at 6 he'll use hyper upgrade (also healing and proving armour of some sort for the next few moves).

Side Special: Command ____: charges a unit in similar fashion to Pacman's Neutral B, going from recon up to super tank (traveling along the ground like a koopa, but not turning at ledges). pressing B while it's in travel will cause it to fire, doing a short ranged but tall large blast forward and then disappearing.

Up special: Battle copters: a pair of copters appear above Andy's head, if B is pressed again he'll grab onto them for a fairly controlled recovery (similar to Olimar and Villager), if not they just fly slightly upwards (approx. platform level) and then forwards firing diagonally downwards occasionally.

Down special: Artillery: places an artillery unit behind Andy that starts charging up for a projectile attack. This attack does and arc similar to Mii Gunners grenade, but slightly higher arc and shorter range. If done in an smash input then the artillery will be replaced by rockets, that have a lower but longer arc, and also takes longer to charge up.

All units created by these attacks have health of varying strength, so can be destroyed. The idea would be to force an approach from the opponent and then start using Andy's attacks to build charge, then use specials again to cover for a small period while he's using his neutral for a heal/upgrade. I'm not a great artist so I'm sorry if some of the stuff I'm trying to say is hard to visualise.
That's a good moveset though I would prefer Andy to have Artillery as his neutral special, Anti-Air as his side special, as well as a Tank as his down special. I do agree that either a T-Copter or a B-Copter should be his up special.

I also like the way you implemented the grabs which is much more interesting then what I had lol.
If romance is going to be a thing, which is probably going to be considering IS' interview, I think it's the best to have new CO's. The CO's of the past 4 games already have existing relationships, and it would be weird to suddenly have Eagle romance Nell or to have Lin going after Waylon. Of course, they could always retcon stuff, like they did with the Grit/Nell/Max love triangle of AW1. But then again, I think the chance of ever having an AW5 is close to (F-)zero. Besides, how many of the AW-team still works at IS, for example?
Yeah I do feel romance is going to have a focus and I do think IS is going to want a new setting. I just really want to see continuation of the Wars World setting. It's the AW that we all know and love and the one most people want to see have a character in Smash Bros.

I don't have much optimism when it comes to getting a new AW game but I don't think I would go that far. I mean F-Zero is a series that can be revived at any given moment now given the Switch's success.

It is the 30th anniversary of Nintendo Wars so maybe just maybe we'll get a legacy collection for Advance Wars on the 3DS? Like a port that has the 4 games from the GBA and DS on the 3DS. It could have extra features similar to the new Wario Ware as well as online play. I think that could give the series new life and would bring it back to the public eye. The newer generation that never played AW will get a chance to experience AW for the first time and thus the likelihood of AW getting revived would increase as well as finally getting a character in Smash Bros.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
It really sucks that romance is apparently the only way IS knows how to make people care about characters, there's so much that could be done with the COs. Then again I do see why they're hesitant not to utilise it as both series were floundering but FE became much more successful as soon as they included it.

Also Ura Ura I like the idea of being able to aim the artillery but when there's other units/projectiles around that's really quite powerful, and something doesn't need to be a neutral special to be aimed (see Zelda up special). Also I tried to include as many 'types' of units as possible in the specials and incorporated infantry into the throws but there's so many that you can't fit them all (which is why I'd be iffy on the wrench special too, there's already so much to work with, why throw a wrench when you could do the same action with a Recon/APC/T-Copter/Fighter/¿Lander?). That said I personally think that Anti-Air would make an awesome Up Smash, thematically and visually.

Last edited:

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Yeah, his Neutral special being Hyper Upgrade could work like that, I think.

What if his Final Smash is Andy calling for backup and the characters helping him are randomized between Sami (a ****load of Infantry and Mechs appear to attack the opponents), Max (a lot of Tanks and some of its bigger varations appear and attack) and Eagle (Bombers and Copters fly over and attack) appear? Max and Sami because they are part of the Orange Star trio and Eagle because he's Andy's highest Tag Team partner.

Edit: No, scratch that. Bad idea.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Also Ura Ura I like the idea of being able to aim the artillery but when there's other units/projectiles around that's really quite powerful, and something doesn't need to be a neutral special to be aimed (see Zelda up special). Also I tried to include as many 'types' of units as possible in the specials and incorporated infantry into the throws but there's so many that you can't fit them all (which is why I'd be iffy on the wrench special too, there's already so much to work with, why throw a wrench when you could do the same action with a Recon/APC/T-Copter/Fighter/¿Lander?). That said I personally think that Anti-Air would make an awesome Up Smash, thematically and visually.
Well Andy doesn't need to use all his units in the game. Just the most important ones like the Tank, Artillery, A-Air's, and one of the Copters.I would much rather prefer Andy store is CO Power meter similar to how Little Mac does it when he takes damage and does the damage himself. Having a special dedicated to charging up his Power Meter would be both broken and a waste of a special.

And the way I imagined Andy's moveset is alll his :GCA: attacks would be mostly attacks with his Wrenches while his :GCB: specials would be units from AW. Though I wouldn't mind Andy using some of his units as his :GCA: attacks.
Yeah, his Neutral special being Hyper Upgrade could work like that, I think.

What if his Final Smash is Andy calling for backup and the characters helping him are randomized between Sami (a ****load of Infantry and Mechs appear to attack the opponents), Max (a lot of Tanks and some of its bigger varations appear and attack) and Eagle (Bombers and Copters fly over and attack) appear? Max and Sami because they are part of the Orange Star trio and Eagle because he's Andy's highest Tag Team partner.

Edit: No, scratch that. Bad idea.
I think it's a pretty good idea and I honestly had that idea for a while.

I just think doing that would make the game lag a lot since the stage would be flooded with units and maybe even too OP as well. Then again the 3DS version is not a factor here so who knows.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Having a special dedicated to charging up his Power Meter would be both broken and a waste of a special.
I agree, which is why I made sure that in my moveset it requires Andy himself to be doing damage, and to not charge off the units he summons (though maybe if they're from his :GCA: attacks they should still charge it)

And while sure, he doesn't need all units (water units would be pretty hard to fit in especially) I feel like maximising the number of units would be the best representation of the series. I'm also intrigued that you include A-Airs as one of the more important units, but not things like Fighters, APCs or Bombers, which all also serve a similar "specific role".

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I agree, which is why I made sure that in my moveset it requires Andy himself to be doing damage, and to not charge off the units he summons (though maybe if they're from his :GCA: attacks they should still charge it)

And while sure, he doesn't need all units (water units would be pretty hard to fit in especially) I feel like maximising the number of units would be the best representation of the series. I'm also intrigued that you include A-Airs as one of the more important units, but not things like Fighters, APCs or Bombers, which all also serve a similar "specific role".
True though I would prefer his CO Power meter to not be a special.

I was referring to land units which are usually the most important in the games. APC's wouldn't do much in combat which is why A-Airs's I feel are better because Andy would be able to attack foes both on the stage and airbound.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'm only rooting for the former but yeah lets hope so.

I want to believe so badly that Intelligent Systems will put Andy in the game since Smash Bros Switch's release coincides with Famicom Wars' 30th anniversary. IS doesn't even have to revive Advance Wars to put Andy in Smash Bros. Just something to show that they still care about the franchise and are finally willing to let it have a presence on the roster after so long.

Not to mention that way they'd be actually doing something about the series 30th anniversary rather than just point blank ignore it.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I really hope that we can get a few more people involved in this thread, it's moving painfully slowly compared to others. It really surprises me just haw massive the difference in support between old school FE and AW is, though I suppose the new FE games do help support for older ones too. Is it the less character based gameplay? I know heavy strategy games are more niche than RPG alternatives.

Also I spent yesterday basically just jamming to the AW soundtrack, god it's so good.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I really hope that we can get a few more people involved in this thread, it's moving painfully slowly compared to others. It really surprises me just haw massive the difference in support between old school FE and AW is, though I suppose the new FE games do help support for older ones too. Is it the less character based gameplay? I know heavy strategy games are more niche than RPG alternatives.

Also I spent yesterday basically just jamming to the AW soundtrack, god it's so good.
Yeah I don't like it either. I guess because AW has been out of the limelight for so long it's sort of a consequence of it's absence all these years. You see this with a lot of character threads from series that haven't been active in a long while baring Takamaru maybe.

I've been trying to think of ways to make this place more active. Like posting AW fanart every day and creating discussion about the series or Andy in Smash Bros.

If you have any idea let me know. We really need to step our game lol.

Also i've been jamming to AW as well. Especially the CO Super Power theme which I like to listen to while pretending it's playing during Andy's reveal trailer lol.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
At very least he's currently fairly high on the RTC thread nominations (though that hasn't been updated in 3 days) so some discussion there might help. Then again that nomination list doesn't start until April.

I might put some effort into illustrating moveset ideas, though that'll be a long ways away as I'm still looking for graphics programs for my new computer after having spent so long on a Mac with Adobe (which is far from affordable atm).

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Today's fanart of the day is titled "No Fighting in the War Room" (a comic strip made by Awkward Zombie)

I mean someone has to point out the absurdity of AW's plot points. As much as I love the series, it's really bonkers that Andy and Eagle would be so willing to start a war against each other as "a friendly battle against rivals" while condemning countless innocent lives to death through their madness lol.

Funny thing is they dropped that nonsense in AW2 only to bring it back in AWDS. Then again Dual Strike's story was probably the worst out of the three so that's to be expected.
At very least he's currently fairly high on the RTC thread nominations (though that hasn't been updated in 3 days) so some discussion there might help. Then again that nomination list doesn't start until April.

I might put some effort into illustrating moveset ideas, though that'll be a long ways away as I'm still looking for graphics programs for my new computer after having spent so long on a Mac with Adobe (which is far from affordable atm).
TBH, most of those nominations were me giving him X5 nominations lol.

The last time Andy was rated he got mostly positive want scores aside from a small group of people. I hope the same applies for this RTC.

Like I said if you have any ideas to make this thread active then let me know. I want this place to have a lot more activity because I know there's a lot of AW fans out there.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
That comic is almost exactly why I expect any new game to feature robots and drones. The AW world is just absurd otherwise :laugh:

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Man, Advance Wars really has time going against it. Despite this, I'll still pitch in a vote for Andy.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
That comic is almost exactly why I expect any new game to feature robots and drones. The AW world is just absurd otherwise :laugh:
Sturm was kind of like that no? Not to mention most of the Black Hole Army.

One headcanon I had about that mission was that Andy and Eagle were playing virtual reality simulation against each other. It's the only way I can rationalize that without Andy and Eagle being sadists.
Man, Advance Wars really has time going against it. Despite this, I'll still pitch in a vote for Andy.
It does indeed but with more people like you supporting it we can get this series back in the limelight again. That's my theory anyways.

And thanks! I'll add you to the support list. Welcome to the Orange Star Army!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Today's fanart of the day is titled "War Funds" by Tailsvader of Deivantart.

I know i'm not supposed to question everything in Advance Wars (because if we did then damn there would be a lot of plot holes to get around lol) but it's really funny that Colin can make his units in to unstoppable forces of destruction just by having lots of money for his SCOP.

I guess one could rationalize this by Colin using all his money to buy expensive upgrades and whatnot but it's still pretty silly. Although I still love it because Colin's SCOP came in handy so many times in the AW2 campaign lol. Based little guy.

EDIT: Going to post the next Fanart of the Day in this post because I don't want to triple post. This one comes from Takun32 and it features Snake in Advance Wars style.

It's funny given all the times people suggest that Andy or Sami take Snakes's moveset. Sami i'd be okay with as a semi clone but hell no when it comes to Andy, Snakes's moveset doesn't fit him one bit and he needs to have a moveset inspired by his own series.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
HOLY ****!!

Now that the nominations have been added up in the OP of 'Rate Their Chances' Andy has the 4th most nominations, GOOD JOB GUYS!!!

Also missed out on being added to the end of this month by 5 votes, which makes me feel bad because I'm pretty sure that's how many I've dedicated to [another character] so instead we have to spend the rest of the month bolstering him above the nearest competitors :crying::(:crying:

Could have used that time moving the Concept: AW CO up the list ;)

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Just so you guys know, Wars placed 6th (technically 5th since Smash Bros was confirmed on the list) in a poll conducted by a user on rNintendoSwitch which asked users what franchises they wanted on the Switch. The series managed to place higher than Kid Icarus, Pikmin, and Earthbound; all of which already have a representative in Smash. That to me is huge even if it was a poll of 4,000 users and it shows that interest in the series is alive and well.

As for today's fanart of the day, this one comes from CaffineHeart of Deviantart featuring the iconic trio we all know and love in Advance Wars; Andy, Sami, and Max.

Honestly, I loved the chemistry these three had in the game. Andy being the dim-witted yet bold, courageous, and friendly one, Sami being the brains of the group as well as the most personable, and Max being the heavy hitter who was a force to be reckoned with for anyone that gets in his way. Their interactions was one of the reasons why I loved AW1's storyline despite it being pretty simple and dumb at some points lol. Hope they get featured prominently in a future Advance Wars game if that ever happens anytime soon.
HOLY ****!!

Now that the nominations have been added up in the OP of 'Rate Their Chances' Andy has the 4th most nominations, GOOD JOB GUYS!!!

Also missed out on being added to the end of this month by 5 votes, which makes me feel bad because I'm pretty sure that's how many I've dedicated to [another character] so instead we have to spend the rest of the month bolstering him above the nearest competitors :crying::(:crying:

Could have used that time moving the Concept: AW CO up the list ;)
Yeah looks like our efforts of giving his X5 nominations came in handy huh? Not only that but there's tons of people who I don't normally see posting here giving Andy a lot of nominations. That along with the rNintendoSwitch poll I mentioned earlier makes me really happy. Thanks to everyone that nominated!

I voted it a couple of times but I would rather have it spaced out between the Andy day. Like if the Andy day comes in early April then hopefully the day for rating the Concept comes in a month or two later. I also predict that there's going to be a Sami day eventually even though she hasn't been nominated at all which surprises me.

Last edited:

DogManStar

Smash Ace
I've only ever played about half of Advance Wars 1, but it was pretty fun, and Andy was a great character. I totally support this cause, and I have a few friends outside of the Smash community who would love to see him in the game. Easily one of my most wanted characters.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I've only ever played about half of Advance Wars 1, but it was pretty fun, and Andy was a great character. I totally support this cause, and I have a few friends outside of the Smash community who would love to see him in the game. Easily one of my most wanted characters.
If you ever have a chance you should finish your run. AW1, IMO is the hardest in the Wars World Trilogy but it's the most rewarding to beat. Also try the other AW games because they're amazing as well.

And welcome to the Orange Star Army! I'll add you to the list. We got a lot of cool AW related discussions here as well as the daily fanart I post.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
That Reddit poll is actually a fascinating read.
Yeah I like how one guy mentioned in the magazine that Wars never had the chance to properly breakthrough in Japan as it could have done.

Honestly, I think that was the one sticking point keeping Wars from exploding in popularity and being in Smash Bros. Personally I blame whoever was in charge for Dual Stirke's crappy marketing campaign as well as IS not releasing AW1/AW2 on time.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
The more I see these results (RTC, Top 10 thread, Nintendo Switch Survey) the more I start to think that we really are (as much as I hate the term and how it's being used in modern society) a silent majority (or at least a silent significant chunk).

Even in that Nintendo Switch series thread almost nobody is talking about the Wars series making (essentially) 5th. So I really think we need to make sure that we're not as silent anymore. The revival of Nintendo as a strong, 'conventional gaming' console is the prefect time to seek revival.

And speaking of, r/SmashBros is doing an official poll, lets get ourselves heard again.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The more I see these results (RTC, Top 10 thread, Nintendo Switch Survey) the more I start to think that we really are (as much as I hate the term and how it's being used in modern society) a silent majority (or at least a silent significant chunk).

Even in that Nintendo Switch series thread almost nobody is talking about the Wars series making (essentially) 5th. So I really think we need to make sure that we're not as silent anymore. The revival of Nintendo as a strong, 'conventional gaming' console is the prefect time to seek revival.

And speaking of, r/SmashBros is doing an official poll, lets get ourselves heard again.
I agree. The existence of games like Tiny Metal and Wargroove shown that while we not might hear about Advance Wars that much, it's very much in the minds of many people. I mean just look at the first comment in the Wargroove trailer on Nintendo's channel.

Looks like since you didn't want to give us a new Advance Wars, someone else did it for you, Nintendo.
That comment got liked by 1.5K people. It shows that these people are out there but for whatever reason chose not to be vocal. Which I think is a shame because if they did Intelligent Systems would be noticing the demand a lot more. I mean they have to be noticing the demand for a new Advance Wars with Tiny Metal and Wargroove being around but that would defiantly help matters.

And yeah I also hate the term silent majority lol. For reasons that typically involve politics and other BS.

As for the rSmashBros poll, I voted Andy as my No.1 along with Isaac, K. Rool, Crash, and Mike Jones. Here's hoping he gets a decent ranking on there.

Last edited:

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
I don't think an Advance Wars character that we know of will ever make it into Smash, sadly. The series is in that limbo where it's not big enough to be considered for a full reveal, but not small/old enough to make it as a "surprise" inclusion. However if IS ever decides to bring the series back I'm sure the protagonist of that game will be in the next Smash.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
As for the rSmashBros poll, I voted Andy as my No.1 along with Isaac, K. Rool, Crash, and Mike Jones. Here's hoping he gets a decent ranking on there.
I'm personally 1. Andy, 2. Bomberman, 3. Spyro, 4. Sora, 5. Waluigi

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I don't think an Advance Wars character that we know of will ever make it into Smash, sadly. The series is in that limbo where it's not big enough to be considered for a full reveal, but not small/old enough to make it as a "surprise" inclusion. However if IS ever decides to bring the series back I'm sure the protagonist of that game will be in the next Smash.
If we're going solely on the criteria of historical relevance, then Wars is more than deserving of having a playable character with the amount of games it spawned going through just about every Nintendo system prior to it's absence. The series can also be considered old enough to be "retro" now accounting for both the series start in 1988 with Famicom Wars and it's debut overseas as Advance Wars in 2001. Even 2001's Advance Wars is retro enough for inclusion which is why I believe Andy would represent both the NES and the GBA with his inclusion.

As for a new AW protag, it could happen only if there's a new game which I doubt. Said character would also have to be DLC after the game's release.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Today's fanart of the day, "Grimm Jim" comes from this site. A parody of Slim Jim featuring Grimm from Dual Strike.

Grimm always struck me as odd in Yellow Comet seeing as the CO's there are mostly strict and whatnot so seeing Grimm all laid-back and all was weird. I still think he was the standout addition to the CO's in Dual Strike because most were not that noteworthy IMO. His gimmick was also a first being a CO that packed a lot of power but was prone to getting destroyed easily. The first true glass cannon in the series. I wished their was a CO opposite to that that had reduced firepower but had crazy defense.
Got a new signature icon, credit to Golden Icarus
The sig looks really good. I added it to mine.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Today's fanart of the day comes from Doton-Element and features our favorite southern marksman CO, Grit

Grit is one of my favorite CO's throughout the entire Wars World Trilogy for his prowess with indirect units. It's so easy to get the advantage in battle with his extended range covering up huge amounts of space when set up correctly. Especially in Fog of War when Grit can hide his Artillery/Rockets/Missiles in the woods making his opponents life a living hell. Grit is an awesome CO to use even though he makes me rage like hell whenever I face him lol.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Hello Wars fans. You can all join my Discord if you want to talk more about the series as well as other Smash underdogs from a variety of smaller Nintendo series.

https://discord.gg/R2ZeTqW

Today's fanart of the day comes from Doton-Element and features our favorite southern marksman CO, Grit

Grit is one of my favorite CO's throughout the entire Wars World Trilogy for his prowess with indirect units. It's so easy to get the advantage in battle with his extended range covering up huge amounts of space when set up correctly. Especially in Fog of War when Grit can hide his Artillery/Rockets/Missiles in the woods making his opponents life a living hell. Grit is an awesome CO to use even though he makes me rage like hell whenever I face him lol.
Now that is cool fanart of Grit. He was always one of the more laidback CO's in the series.

Top Bottom