• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orange Star's Hyperactive Whiz Kid! - Andy For Smash Ultimate! We'll Live To Fight Another Day...

Favorite Advance Wars Game (Not Including pre-AW and Battalion Wars)

• Total voters

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Now THIS is good news.

I hope IS serious takes a look at this, this is all the proof we need that Wars and FE can easily coexist with each other. Both fulfill a different niche and can be just as big if they can even try. All they need to do is bring back the same style and tone as the GBA games and go from there.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Now THIS is good news.

I hope IS serious takes a look at this, this is all the proof we need that Wars and FE can easily coexist with each other. Both fulfill a different niche and can be just as big if they can even try. All they need to do is bring back the same style and tone as the GBA games and go from there.
Huge indeed. Even more so considering Fortnite is a free game.

Realistically speaking, sales for Wargroove has to be in the million range to nearly top the Switch Eshop charts right? At the very least, it has to be in the millions accounting for not only Switch sales but Xbox One and PC sales units as well.

And if that's the case then holy smokes. The best selling Advance Wars game only did 700K units (given it was a time when TBS games weren't popular in the West) so that's a massive step up. And it also shows that there's a huge untapped market for this genre that Nintendo/Intelligent Systems hasn't tapped in to or are otherwise not acknowledging. Hopefully that won't be the case anymore as I mentioned before.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Huge indeed. Even more so considering Fortnite is a free game.

Realistically speaking, sales for Wargroove has to be in the million range to nearly top the Switch Eshop charts right? At the very least, it has to be in the millions accounting for not only Switch sales but Xbox One and PC sales units as well.

And if that's the case then holy smokes. The best selling Advance Wars game only did 700K units (given it was a time when TBS games weren't popular in the West) so that's a massive step up. And it also shows that there's a huge untapped market for this genre that Nintendo/Intelligent Systems hasn't tapped in to or are otherwise not acknowledging. Hopefully that won't be the case anymore as I mentioned before.
At this point I'm actually concerned that IS doesn't think they can compete with Wargroove. Talk about a runaway success.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
At this point I'm actually concerned that IS doesn't think they can compete with Wargroove. Talk about a runaway success.
That is a concern I have as well.

While Wargroove is AW's savior, it could be something not even IS's Wars game would hold a candlel too if they tried. But I have faith that they can go back to the roots and try something that can be as good as it.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
A new Advance Wars game would probably get a higher budget than Wargroove (IS is a respectably large company), better advertising than Wargroove (at least advertising towards a larger audience that doesn't necessarily play indie games), a physical copy at release to get people to pick it up at a brick-and-mortar store, and that classic Nintendo label on it (assuring consumers of its quality). AW would probably also make the move to 3D graphics, which in itself would likely be enough "newness" to lure back a lot of old fans.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'm with SPEN on that a new Advance Wars would look a lot more visually impressive than Wargroove and would have a higher budget. Consider how much bigger Intelligent Systems is now coming in to the 2020's VS the Intelligent Systems of the 2000's that relied on Paper Mario. Lets also account for how successful they've been with FEH.

Gotta put that FEH money to good use huh? :lol:

Joking aside, I would expect Advance Wars of the 2020's to be vastly different from what it was before. 3D graphics/battle animations of course but also the implementation of cutscenes, and of course. a game in HD. Lets not forget all the new touches it would have like online matchmaking/leaderboard, playing on the go and sharing maps locally, and maybe even an expansion of the War Room of old only now with new missions added in through updates. And of course, it's story would be a lot more fleshed out and the characters/setting will be at the forefront of the story more so than before.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If AW were to make the jump to 3D, I'd like it to have cel-shaded graphics. Keep the cartoony aesthetic.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
If AW were to make the jump to 3D, I'd like it to have cel-shaded graphics. Keep the cartoony aesthetic.
Yeah def. The artstyle used in Days of Ruin did nothing for me and felt like a downgrade from what we had in the Wars World Trilogy (at least accounting for battle animations and the UI). Hopefully, said new AW has the cel-shaded look the GBA AW's had since it aged so well since the early-mid 2000's.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Thread's been dead for a while so I wanted to get some discussion going...

There's likely to be a Smash Direct happening in a week or two that will likely showcase Joker, Erdrick, some Mii Costumes, Spirits, and the rumored returns of Home-Run Contest/Stage Builder.

What are some of your hopes for said Direct and do you think it's a lock we see Erdrick confirmed? Also, what about the possibility of Advance Wars Mii Costume(s)? Do you think it will happen?

SPEN18

Smash Lord
What are some of your hopes for said Direct and do you think it's a lock we see Erdrick confirmed? Also, what about the possibility of Advance Wars Mii Costume(s)? Do you think it will happen?
Erdrick could happen; I wouldn't call it a lock rn, though.

AW Mii Costumes are unlikely, but given that characters like Lip, Takamaru, Saki, Ray, and Chibi-Robo have them, AW characters could be among the next ones in line. DLC Costumes are more likely to have third parties, though, especially given the removals of third party costumes from 4.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Erdrick could happen; I wouldn't call it a lock rn, though.

AW Mii Costumes are unlikely, but given that characters like Lip, Takamaru, Saki, Ray, and Chibi-Robo have them, AW characters could be among the next ones in line. DLC Costumes are more likely to have third parties, though, especially given the removals of third party costumes from 4.
Yeah Mii Costumes are likely to be 3rd party going forward but we'll still see some 1st party ones I think.

I'm hard pressed to think of anyone other than Erdrick TBH. It's almost like Roy/Ryu all over again.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Thread's been dead for a while so I wanted to get some discussion going...

There's likely to be a Smash Direct happening in a week or two that will likely showcase Joker, Erdrick, some Mii Costumes, Spirits, and the rumored returns of Home-Run Contest/Stage Builder.

If there are first party Mii Costumes (there's bound to be a few) I can see AW getting one or even two. Would also expect a blue bandana as headgear, maybe the Labor VR headset, and a full costume for another character in demand (Impa? Elma?)

Imo Erdrick is nearly a lock. If it's not Erdrick, it will be a SE character. I'd be very ****ing annoyed if we get nothing.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
If there are first party Mii Costumes (there's bound to be a few) I can see AW getting one or even two. Would also expect a blue bandana as headgear, maybe the Labor VR headset, and a full costume for another character in demand (Impa? Elma?)

Imo Erdrick is nearly a lock. If it's not Erdrick, it will be a SE character. I'd be very ****ing annoyed if we get nothing.
Yeah I agree there's no way there isn't a 2nd reveal. Although i'm almost certain of it being Erdrick/DQ.

If DLC Assist Trophies were a thing, i'd love for Infantry & Tanks to return. Preferably with Andy leading the charge.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Hey guys I could use some help with a little project I'm doing. Do any of you know where I can find a bunch of official artwork made for the Wars series? It's easy to find artwork for Advance Wars and beyond, but the older stuff has proven to be a challenge. Like Famicom Wars, Super Famicom Wars, Gameboy Wars, etc.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
How are you guys liking the new content in 3.0? My Switch is defective as all hell so i'm not able to play at the moment. Need to look in to getting my Switch fixed.
Hey guys I could use some help with a little project I'm doing. Do any of you know where I can find a bunch of official artwork made for the Wars series? It's easy to find artwork for Advance Wars and beyond, but the older stuff has proven to be a challenge. Like Famicom Wars, Super Famicom Wars, Gameboy Wars, etc.
I would think you could find those things through simple Google searches no? That's how I usually find em'. Try using the Wars Wiki to find those things because it might be there.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey, guys? Random question, but... what would you all say to the idea of Andy being playable in Super Smash Flash 2? The thought came to my head recently after remembering how that game was going to have Westport Base from (I think?) the original Advance Wars as a stage.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hey, guys? Random question, but... what would you all say to the idea of Andy being playable in Super Smash Flash 2? The thought came to my head recently after remembering how that game was going to have Westport Base from (I think?) the original Advance Wars as a stage.
I have never played SSF, but sure, all in. That would certainly help him get noticed and thus there'd be more support.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Hell yeah man! I love SSF2 and i've been wanting Andy to join that roster as well. As GoodGrief said, it would get new eyeballs on the series and the franchise would be better exposed. Also, I think it would lead to an increase to Andy's Smash support because then people would actually get to see how an Advance Wars character plays. Something that really hurts Andy's prospects currently since CO's are never shown fighting.

Also, SSF2's quality is really great. Like professional level to the point where it's basically an official title but sprite-based. It would be the closest thing we would have to Andy in Smash similar to Isaac.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Hell yeah man! I love SSF2 and i've been wanting Andy to join that roster as well. As GoodGrief said, it would get new eyeballs on the series and the franchise would be better exposed. Also, I think it would lead to an increase to Andy's Smash support because then people would actually get to see how an Advance Wars character plays. Something that really hurts Andy's prospects currently since CO's are never shown fighting.

Also, SSF2's quality is really great. Like professional level to the point where it's basically an official title but sprite-based. It would be the closest thing we would have to Andy in Smash similar to Isaac.
This.

He would be simply amazing to have. Even if he's not in the final game, he could be an expansion character. Which would help a lot.

I'm surprised to hear that they originally planned a stage. It was likely scrapped since Wars was kind of dead at the time.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
This.

He would be simply amazing to have. Even if he's not in the final game, he could be an expansion character. Which would help a lot.

I'm surprised to hear that they originally planned a stage. It was likely scrapped since Wars was kind of dead at the time.
IIRC I heard it might have been re-worked as the Lake of Rage stage but i'm not sure about that. I did see the prototype design for it and TBH it's not what I would come to expect from an AW stage. Or maybe that's because it was in the early development stages and wasn't closed to being finished.

Hopefully if Andy gets in there's a better stage that's more faithful to the Wars series. Something akin to what I proposed with a cycling stage through the city, sea, and air. If not a cycling stage then maybe just a city in an all-out war in the background.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Ryo Hirata (the illustrator of Advance Wars) re-posted some of the artwork he uploaded a few years ago. If you haven't seen it already, check it out in this tweet. Features some official art as well as some concept art.

He also had this to say which shed some light on the development of the game.

I think it is the most free job I have ever done. In Japan, it was released in 2004 in the form of 1 + 2, but it started making at around the age of 22 in 1999. Most of the work is dot strikes such as weapons and maps, and character designs and illustrations are about 10% of the entire memory.
He mentions that the first Advance Wars game started development in 1999 (2 years before it's release) which is odd given there was like 2-3 games in the Wars series that came out in that time frame (not in the West but in Japan). Hirata also mentions that the designs and illustrations took up about 10% of the memory which is not much of a stretch to believe given it was a GBA title.

Hirata was also 22 when he first started the game and it might have been one of his first projects in his career. I'm not sure what he did afterwards other than the fact that he also worked on the sequels; Black Hole Rising and Dual Strike but didn't return for Days of Ruin.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Sorry for the triple post (mods feel free to merge my posts if you wish) but this thread has been dead for a while.

I want to get this thread active again given we're only 1 week away from E3 and all the hype surrounding the event. So I want to know what you guys are looking forward to the most heading in to the event.

And also, what do you believe the odds are of seeing anything related to Advance Wars at E3? I think their might be a chance (I touched upon this a couple of pages ago with a theroy I posted) but i'll discuss that later. I just think some things are lining up better than they have years prior.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
To be honest I think they're not bad. I think we'll see at least one revived Nintendo franchise at E3. Granted, I've thought that for most E3's since the Switch was announced, but this year there's a lot of rumblings about very big reveals, so I'm feeling it more.

Can that be Advance Wars? Yes, it can. If I were to bet on one Nintendo franchise to get revived is F-Zero, that's the most mainstream demand due to Captain Falcon's memeticness. At the same time, Miyamoto clearly does not want to bring it back and his word is still pretty gospelly - though Nintendo's culture is changing and new blood is being allowed to handle big projects, so if the will is to revive F-Zero I think it would happen. But if it isn't F-Zero, I can't think of a likelier candidate than AW. The demand is really there, as has been shown time and time again through polls and the success of AW-inspired titles.

Can IS develop two titles at once? Yes, definitely, especially if one's smaller scale. Would they develop two SRPGs at the same time? That's a good question... I'd say no, but I can't see IS not developing an installment of their cash cow FE at any given time, so if AW is to come back that's an inevitability. And Code Name STEAM was probably developed alongside FE so that's a moot point. Plus, an AW revival would be different enough both gameplay and budget/scope-wise to stand apart or fill in a gap.

At the end of the day, the Switch needs those exciting Nintendo IP to sell, and Nintendo knows it, which is why I think they'll be reviving their dead franchises. As Fire Emblem veers more and more into waifu tropes, I think it might start losing its western audience, and AW can really tap into that and capture both markets for the SRPG genre.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
To be honest I think they're not bad. I think we'll see at least one revived Nintendo franchise at E3. Granted, I've thought that for most E3's since the Switch was announced, but this year there's a lot of rumblings about very big reveals, so I'm feeling it more.

Can that be Advance Wars? Yes, it can. If I were to bet on one Nintendo franchise to get revived is F-Zero, that's the most mainstream demand due to Captain Falcon's memeticness. At the same time, Miyamoto clearly does not want to bring it back and his word is still pretty gospelly - though Nintendo's culture is changing and new blood is being allowed to handle big projects, so if the will is to revive F-Zero I think it would happen. But if it isn't F-Zero, I can't think of a likelier candidate than AW. The demand is really there, as has been shown time and time again through polls and the success of AW-inspired titles.

Can IS develop two titles at once? Yes, definitely, especially if one's smaller scale. Would they develop two SRPGs at the same time? That's a good question... I'd say no, but I can't see IS not developing an installment of their cash cow FE at any given time, so if AW is to come back that's an inevitability. And Code Name STEAM was probably developed alongside FE so that's a moot point. Plus, an AW revival would be different enough both gameplay and budget/scope-wise to stand apart or fill in a gap.

At the end of the day, the Switch needs those exciting Nintendo IP to sell, and Nintendo knows it, which is why I think they'll be reviving their dead franchises. As Fire Emblem veers more and more into waifu tropes, I think it might start losing its western audience, and AW can really tap into that and capture both markets for the SRPG genre.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.
TBH, I think an Advance Wars revival is more likely than an F-Zero one. Sure, F-Zero has it's Smash Bros popularity and Falcon is a meme but think about it. F-Zero's mechanics have pretty much been taken by Mario Kart even if F-Zero is the faster racer. Not to mention their premises are virtually identical "race to the finish". Compare that to Advance Wars and Fire Emblem and it's a lot different. FE can't take AW's mechanics because the two games are fundamentally different in how they play. FE is an SRPG, AW a pure-tactics strategy game with an emphasis on resource management and expendable units. Both FE and AW have their special niches that would be very hard for the other to replicate as efficiently.

In the case of FE, it's the emphasis on character backstories and relationships. Sure AW can have something similar but it would be hard to implement it as well because of how AW plays structurally (although me and a bunch others on this thread brainstormed some ideas how AW could have some of it implemented in it's gameplay).

In the case of AW, it's the franchises multiplayer focus and being able to "pick up and play" against anyone. And that's one thing that needs to be emphasized a lot more when the franchise comes back. Having it's focus be multiplayer and online matchmaking would be a huge pull for the franchise. That and creating and sharing maps on the go would be another huge pull. Online leaderboards would be a thing and the War Room would constantly have new maps to play on. Given AW's structure, it's near impossible for FE to replicate this because of it having focused characters and not generic units. Sure, I guess it could be kind of like PKMN where you use your team against the other but it wouldn't be as effective and balance issues would be a problem.

Of course, IS hasn't been too keen on making a new game for a long time (or rather are not able to despite a lot of staff there itching a taking on a new entry in the series) but I honestly believe things are shaping up better than they have in years prior. Given the success of AW-indies out there and the prevalence of them since 2016-2017, I honestly believe this could have been an eye-opener for Nintendo/Intelligent Systems who may have downplayed the demand for a new Advance Wars game in the past.

Then there's also the B-Team at IS who has been responsible for making Wars games in the past. We really haven't heard much from them in the past since they finished FE Echoes (which according to them, was virtually finished around late-2016 aside from quality issues). It's possible that they could be assisting in development of FE: TH yeah (especially towards later stages of development) but I doubt that's the only thing they've been doing. I'm not saying that they're definitely doing a new AW but I believe there's a chance for it now. For all the talk IS had about wanting to return to the series, I believe there's a possibility this E3 that they announce a new entry for this series in 2020. In this case, development most likely started in late-2017/early-2018 and would release in like mid-2020. Then there was also the case of the Advance Wars trademark from back in December. It could have very well been nothing but I found it odd that it got renewed after Smash Ultimate's release when all the other dormant series where renewed beforehand.

TL:DR, this might be our biggest chance for a new game in a long time. I'm hoping that this is going to be the E3 we've all been waiting for. Well this and the potential Banjo content that's been rumored about.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
TBH, I think an Advance Wars revival is more likely than an F-Zero one. Sure, F-Zero has it's Smash Bros popularity and Falcon is a meme but think about it. F-Zero's mechanics have pretty much been taken by Mario Kart even if F-Zero is the faster racer. Not to mention their premises are virtually identical "race to the finish". Compare that to Advance Wars and Fire Emblem and it's a lot different. FE can't take AW's mechanics because the two games are fundamentally different in how they play. FE is an SRPG, AW a pure-tactics strategy game with an emphasis on resource management and expendable units. Both FE and AW have their special niches that would be very hard for the other to replicate as efficiently.

In the case of FE, it's the emphasis on character backstories and relationships. Sure AW can have something similar but it would be hard to implement it as well because of how AW plays structurally (although me and a bunch others on this thread brainstormed some ideas how AW could have some of it implemented in it's gameplay).

In the case of AW, it's the franchises multiplayer focus and being able to "pick up and play" against anyone. And that's one thing that needs to be emphasized a lot more when the franchise comes back. Having it's focus be multiplayer and online matchmaking would be a huge pull for the franchise. That and creating and sharing maps on the go would be another huge pull. Online leaderboards would be a thing and the War Room would constantly have new maps to play on. Given AW's structure, it's near impossible for FE to replicate this because of it having focused characters and not generic units. Sure, I guess it could be kind of like PKMN where you use your team against the other but it wouldn't be as effective and balance issues would be a problem.

Of course, IS hasn't been too keen on making a new game for a long time (or rather are not able to despite a lot of staff there itching a taking on a new entry in the series) but I honestly believe things are shaping up better than they have in years prior. Given the success of AW-indies out there and the prevalence of them since 2016-2017, I honestly believe this could have been an eye-opener for Nintendo/Intelligent Systems who may have downplayed the demand for a new Advance Wars game in the past.

Then there's also the B-Team at IS who has been responsible for making Wars games in the past. We really haven't heard much from them in the past since they finished FE Echoes (which according to them, was virtually finished around late-2016 aside from quality issues). It's possible that they could be assisting in development of FE: TH yeah (especially towards later stages of development) but I doubt that's the only thing they've been doing. I'm not saying that they're definitely doing a new AW but I believe there's a chance for it now. For all the talk IS had about wanting to return to the series, I believe there's a possibility this E3 that they announce a new entry for this series in 2020. In this case, development most likely started in late-2017/early-2018 and would release in like mid-2020. Then there was also the case of the Advance Wars trademark from back in December. It could have very well been nothing but I found it odd that it got renewed after Smash Ultimate's release when all the other dormant series where renewed beforehand.

TL:DR, this might be our biggest chance for a new game in a long time. I'm hoping that this is going to be the E3 we've all been waiting for. Well this and the potential Banjo content that's been rumored about.
Sure, I just think F-Zero has the better chance of getting considered solely because it has more mainstream appeal and demand. As a parallel, think Star Fox. The big problem with Star Fox after Command was that they didn't know where to take the franchise story-wise. If they wanted to do a rail-shooter, they could have done a new Sin & Punishment or Kid Icarus, neither of which have that problem. But they rebooted Star Fox instead, because that's an easier sell (at least, to investors).

Still, AW is very much a possibility (it's not even an either-or situation, but I don't dare dream of an E3 with both a new F-Zero and AW). If we don't get it this year, I think 2020 is even better to announce it; there's more time between the resurgence in demand, so maybe that's when a hypothetical AW would be ready to reveal rather than in 2019. 2019 is pretty stacked, and Metroid Prime 4 taught Nintendo not to announce games too early.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Sure, I just think F-Zero has the better chance of getting considered solely because it has more mainstream appeal and demand. As a parallel, think Star Fox. The big problem with Star Fox after Command was that they didn't know where to take the franchise story-wise. If they wanted to do a rail-shooter, they could have done a new Sin & Punishment or Kid Icarus, neither of which have that problem. But they rebooted Star Fox instead, because that's an easier sell (at least, to investors).

Still, AW is very much a possibility (it's not even an either-or situation, but I don't dare dream of an E3 with both a new F-Zero and AW). If we don't get it this year, I think 2020 is even better to announce it; there's more time between the resurgence in demand, so maybe that's when a hypothetical AW would be ready to reveal rather than in 2019. 2019 is pretty stacked, and Metroid Prime 4 taught Nintendo not to announce games too early.
TBH, I don't think Star Fox is that much of a bigger sell than Kid Icarus is. And come to think of it, Uprising was much MUCH more successful than Star Fox Zero. Not only that but I see so much more demand for a new KI than I do for another SF.

But regardless, I see what you mean. I just think AW is more likely than FZ given it has a niche that can't be taken unlike the latter. It's also the reason why I think there's going to be a new Mario Kart sooner or later.

I also see what you mean about there not being that many revivals. It would be overkill to have multiple and I think two is pushing it. That being said, I believe AW has the greatest chance out of all the dead series of being at this E3 after what I said.

Also, what I mentioned in my previous post was about a hypothetical release in mid-2020. Which isn't much of a tease if the game is in it's later stages of development. All they would have to do is show a graphic for the game (maybe even an animation of sorts) like they did MP4 and show the logo. I'm really hoping this is the case.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Yeah SF:Zero probably wouldn't have been made without the SF brand having so much recognizability and Fox being such a popular character. After Zero, they're gonna have to think pretty hard about how to get Fox & crew to show up in stuff without having to make a standard railshooter that probably won't do well again. Ubisoft's Starlink was a decent idea in this regard.

KI I think hinges on somebody at Nintendo wanting to actually do it, as Sakurai's been busy with Smash. It maybe could have been interesting to see someone like Retro try to make a game like that but of course it hasn't happened.

This E3, it's hard not to feel like we're gonna hear a lot about stuff we already know is coming, such as Luigi's Mansion, FE:TH, Animal Crossing, and the like. Chances for an AW reveal, if such a game is indeed in the works, would depend on how much time they're dedicating to new reveals. It probably isn't high-profile enough for a mere title card to be sufficient; they'd likely have to show a full trailer to get non-AW fans excited.

Based on how much stuff is already known for 2019, I'm not sure what else could be coming for this year that they'd wait until now to reveal. I'm hoping they dip their toes into 2020 a bit more, which would increase the chances of a major reveal like a franchise revival.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah SF:Zero probably wouldn't have been made without the SF brand having so much recognizability and Fox being such a popular character. After Zero, they're gonna have to think pretty hard about how to get Fox & crew to show up in stuff without having to make a standard railshooter that probably won't do well again. Ubisoft's Starlink was a decent idea in this regard.

KI I think hinges on somebody at Nintendo wanting to actually do it, as Sakurai's been busy with Smash. It maybe could have been interesting to see someone like Retro try to make a game like that but of course it hasn't happened.

This E3, it's hard not to feel like we're gonna hear a lot about stuff we already know is coming, such as Luigi's Mansion, FE:TH, Animal Crossing, and the like. Chances for an AW reveal, if such a game is indeed in the works, would depend on how much time they're dedicating to new reveals. It probably isn't high-profile enough for a mere title card to be sufficient; they'd likely have to show a full trailer to get non-AW fans excited.

Based on how much stuff is already known for 2019, I'm not sure what else could be coming for this year that they'd wait until now to reveal. I'm hoping they dip their toes into 2020 a bit more, which would increase the chances of a major reveal like a franchise revival.
I could actually see an MP4-esque reveal for Advance Wars albeit with a bit more content put in to it than just a title card. It's a series people know well enough and if they don't they would be intrigued enough to check it out and see why people are making a big deal about it. All they would neat is a nice little animation, familiar tunes playing in the background, and the big announcement of...

ADVANCE WARS IS BACK!!!

Coming to Nintendo Switch 2020

With that, fans would be either really hyped for it's return or curious to know more in the case of newer fans. So in between it's reveal and release, Nintendo could port the first GBA Advance Wars on the E-Shop for new players to get in to the series. Before whatever new game comes out and before 2019 ends (preferably September-ish).

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If Nintendo did the title card thing with Golden Sun Dark Dawn, pretty sure they can do it for Advance Wars.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
If Nintendo did the title card thing with Golden Sun Dark Dawn, pretty sure they can do it for Advance Wars.
Ehh...it was a bit different for DD since they had a small trailer showing off DD with GS1's music. This reveal would be a bit more simplistic but nevertheless; so much more hypeworthy given the long LONG absence Advance Wars has had in the 2010's. And it would really hit it right home to show that the series is coming back in a huge way in the 2020's after fading away in to obscurity for the 2010's.

Of course, granted this happens in the first place. A lot of it is wishful thinking i'm aware lol.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So we didn't get what we wanted, but it's okay. This was about 2019 games, and man is 2019 packed. We always thought AW would come back in 2020 at the earliest. So here's hoping!

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Only Animal Crossing and maybe BotW 2.
Ah yeah forgot about AC.
But that was originally supposed to be 2019 so idk how much that would actually factor into Nintendo's 2020 plan when they were making decisions on what to make.

2019 is loaded. 2020 is pretty much wide open.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yep. 2020 wasn't the focus here and it was made very clear. Animal Crossing and BoTW2 being the exceptions (among other smaller titles). AC was to be expected since it was slated for this year originally and BoTW2 is an exception because of how hype it is.

While it was disappointing to not see Advance Wars here, there are some silver linings IMO. One in that there's the September Direct still left as an option for a new reveal. And the other silver lining, IMO is that there's likely to not be another FE game for a bit because I fully expect Three Houses to continue to get DLC for some time. I think it'll probably get a spinoff in 2020 (being it's 30th anniversary and all) but I don't believe a new game is on the horizon for FE. It gives something like a new Advance Wars a chance to happen IMO. Given the fan demand and boom of AW-indies, I could see it being something on IS's radar and something that might be in development.

Of course, the best case scenario is for there to be a new Advance Wars in 2020 and maybe Andy gets in Smash Ultimate to promote the return of the franchise. Unlikely yeah but Ultimate is all about making the impossible...well possible as in the case of Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo. Never say never I suppose.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
there's likely to not be another FE game for a bit because I fully expect Three Houses to continue to get DLC for some time. I think it'll probably get a spinoff in 2020 (being it's 30th anniversary and all) but I don't believe a new game is on the horizon for FE.
Hmm...when Three Houses releases it'll be interesting to see how amenable that engine is to be used for a hypothetical FE remake. A full new game almost certainly won't be coming in 2020 but a remake has a small chance of happening depending on how much work is required for what they would choose to do with such a thing.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Hmm...when Three Houses releases it'll be interesting to see how amenable that engine is to be used for a hypothetical FE remake. A full new game almost certainly won't be coming in 2020 but a remake has a small chance of happening depending on how much work is required for what they would choose to do with such a thing.
I mean it's possible but I see IS supporting TH for a bit. Maybe until early-mid next year. So with that in mind, I think they might dive in to other projects in the meantime. WarioWare on the Switch seems to be one of them according to Verge. Hopefully Advance Wars is also in that company, IS has to know how much fans want that series back.

And as an aside, I have a big post I want to share with y'all in regards to this rumor from December of 2017. You may recall I talked about this several times in this thread but in light of recent news, it's amazing to see how much it got right.

- WarioWare Compilation (WarioWare Gold)
- Link's Awakening (i'm of mind that Link's Awakening was originally a 3DS title but Nintendo saw the writing on the wall for that system and put it on the Switch)
- Wario Land (which could still happen IMO. I believe it might have been the same case as Link's Awakening)
- WarioWare on the Switch (Which seems to be a thing according to Verge)

Dates are helluva off but man this guy got so much right. Even the third party stuff. And if you're wondering how it's related to AW, the guy teased a picture of a 3DS AW mockup in his last post that teased the series would return on that platform.

Could be fake and all but that's way too much of a coincidence. This is the same guy that was talking about Link's Awakening before other credible insiders were talking about it as well.

Where there's smoke there's fire as they say.

Last edited:
Top Bottom