• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orange Star's Hyperactive Whiz Kid! - Andy For Smash Ultimate! We'll Live To Fight Another Day...

Favorite Advance Wars Game (Not Including pre-AW and Battalion Wars)

• Total voters

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
30 Days to the 30th Anniversary!

DAY 2: Pencil Missile Waifu has best theme

A Youtube user by the name of qwertyGUY made a badass cover of Jess' theme from Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising. I would say Jess' theme was the standout theme out of all the new additions in that game given how much it was used in promotional material. It was even the theme for when the game was shown off at E3 all those years back.

So what's you favorite tracks? Personally mine are Max's, Jess', Grit's, Eagle's, Andy's, and a whole bunch more that's way to hard to compile in one list lol.
This looks like an excellent mock up. Nice work on the graphics and choreography of the trailer.

If only thi were really real.
Yeah trust me we're all wishing it's real lol.

Hopefully we won't have to wait too long in the future for it to become reality.

Last edited:

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Here is how I see it:

-Andy: The one with more chances because he is the main character of 2 games. Who doesn't love a giant wrench?.
-Sami: Fan favorite of some (including me) because of her design and female reps. But a bit less likely than Andy.
-Max: Big and lovable but no chance. He can be an assist.
-Rest of the Advance Wars characters including protagonists from Dual Strike and Days of Ruin: Who?.
-How Advance Wars should be represented in Smash: Definitively not with just an Assist Trophy of some sprites.
-Batallion Wars: Hilarious but no.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Here is how I see it:

-Andy: The one with more chances because he is the main character of 2 games. Who doesn't love a giant wrench?.
-Sami: Fan favorite of some (including me) because of her design and female reps. But a bit less likely than Andy.
-Max: Big and lovable but no chance. He can be an assist.
-Rest of the Advance Wars characters including protagonists from Dual Strike and Days of Ruin: Who?.
-How Advance Wars should be represented in Smash: Definitively not with just an Assist Trophy of some sprites.
-Batallion Wars: Hilarious but no.
Yeah outside the Orange Star Trio (and I guess Nell in a way because of Field Training) those 3-4 characters are the most widely known. Well Andy mostly because of him being the main character and his wrenches being apart of the series logo.

And much agreed on what you said about Wars not being properly represented with just it's Assist Trophy. It needs a playable character for how extensive a franchise it is and Andy's the guy to do it with his moveset potential. Also a bit timely as well for retro status because of the 30th anniversary of Famicom Wars coming up really soon. I mean if Wars were to ever get anything now is the best time to do it.

It's also pretty cool that you joined this site around the time Advance Wars was first launched. So I guess you would have perspective on how things were back in the day. As for myself, I didn't know much because I either had crappy dial-up internet or no internet at all lol.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
DAY 2: Pencil Missile Waifu has best theme

A Youtube user by the name of qwertyGUY made a badass cover of Jess' theme from Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising. I would say Jess' theme was the standout theme out of all the new additions in that game given how much it was used in promotional material. It was even the theme for when the game was shown off at E3 all those years back.

So what's you favorite tracks? Personally mine are Max's, Jess', Grit's, Eagle's, Andy's, and a whole bunch more that's way to hard to compile in one list lol.

Yeah trust me we're all wishing it's real lol.

Hopefully we won't have to wait too long in the future for it to become reality.
It may sound dumb but I actually really like the Wars World News, even if it's just a small jingle on repeat, I think it's neat. After that I'm pretty basic in my choices: Nell's theme is such a Jam and Grit's is just so chill.

God the music is JUST SO GOOD.

Even if we don't get a character at LEAST a stage just so that it can all be remade in the glorious soundtrack. It's such a waste of potential to just use an AT, let alone one of just the sprites. The characters are so great and the MUSIC IS AMAZING.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

DAY 3: Days of Ruin commercial had an animation?

A very interesting find I found while searching for different commercials for Advance Wars over the years. I found it really odd that there was a special animation done for the French commercial of Days of Ruin (or Dark Conflict as they call it in Europe) that was sort of done like an anime.

Makes you think how cool a Days of Ruin anime could have been huh?
It may sound dumb but I actually really like the Wars World News, even if it's just a small jingle on repeat, I think it's neat. After that I'm pretty basic in my choices: Nell's theme is such a Jam and Grit's is just so chill.

God the music is JUST SO GOOD.

Even if we don't get a character at LEAST a stage just so that it can all be remade in the glorious soundtrack. It's such a waste of potential to just use an AT, let alone one of just the sprites. The characters are so great and the MUSIC IS AMAZING.
Which Wars World theme? The one from AW1 or AW2? Both are great though I prefer the AW2 version a lot more. I love that "newspaper report" vibe it gives out especially in the intro of the game.

And yes Smash is in need of Advance Wars tracks. There could be so many AW tracks put in different stages like Max' theme on the Punch-Out stage and Eagle's theme on the Pilotwings stage.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I'll admit that pretty much all the music I talk about is from 1 because it's the one I bought to replay on the Wii U VC

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Day 4: Andy & Clone Andy are more similar than you think?

Done by user inanehipsterslang

Who ships this? :)
I'll admit that pretty much all the music I talk about is from 1 because it's the one I bought to replay on the Wii U VC
I bought all 3 Advance Wars games available on the Wii U VC. Getting all the AW games for like ~$10 is a steal IMO for how much content and re-playability is in the game.

Though the music from the GBA games, IMO are the most recognizable and I would even say the best in the series.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Day 4: Andy & Clone Andy are more similar than you think?

Who ships this? :)

I bought all 3 Advance Wars games available on the Wii U VC. Getting all the AW games for like ~$10 is a steal IMO for how much content and re-playability is in the game.

Though the music from the GBA games, IMO are the most recognizable and I would even say the best in the series.
Andy clonecest....

Now things are what they really seem. Weird.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Day 5: Japanese Advance Wars Fanart

Done by user pixiv

It's nice to see Japanese fanart of Advance Wars every once in a while. Considering Wars has always had a lot of bad breaks there, it's refreshing to see this. And on top of all that it features most of the CO's from Dual Strike.

Speaking of which, which CO in Dual Strike was your favorite? And who did you main?
Andy clonecest....

Now things are what they really seem. Weird.
Andyception :smirk:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Speaking of which, which CO in Dual Strike was your favorite? And who did you main?
Aside from the ones from AW1, I think I've already answered that Adder was my choice behind Andy. But personality wise my favourite additions were Jess and Colin.

StormC

Smash Hero
Considering Wars is a very longrunning franchise, it’s a shame Nintendo has never revisited it. If FE Awakening didn’t do well it would be in a similar spot.

I’ve never played Wars but Andy has tons of potential if they implement interesting SRPG mechanics into his moveset. It’s really too bad.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I support!
Thanks dude! Welcome to the Orange Star Army.
Considering Wars is a very longrunning franchise, it’s a shame Nintendo has never revisited it. If FE Awakening didn’t do well it would be in a similar spot.

I’ve never played Wars but Andy has tons of potential if they implement interesting SRPG mechanics into his moveset. It’s really cool too bad.
Well Wars is more of a pure turn-based strategy than a SRPG but yeah I def get what you're saying lol. And yes the moveset potential for Andy is limitless accounting for all the units in Advance Wars and creative liberties Sakurai could take with Andy (wrench attacks and what have you).

May I add you on the support list BTW?
Aside from the ones from AW1, I think I've already answered that Adder was my choice behind Andy. But personality wise my favourite additions were Jess and Colin.
Was talking about Dual Strike, not so much Black Hole Rising lol. Although to be fair both Jess and Colin had a pretty big role in the Campaign in Dual Strike.

And good of you to pick Jess. You have fine taste my friend. Pencil Missile Waifu FTW!

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Was talking about Dual Strike, not so much Black Hole Rising lol. Although to be fair both Jess and Colin had a pretty big role in the Campaign in Dual Strike.

And good of you to pick Jess. You have fine taste my friend. Pencil Missile Waifu FTW!
:facepalm:
Duh, I get the two confused cos dual strike is such typical sequel title but it refers to the 2 screens, not being the second game...:dizzy:

Well in that case I'll say that I didn't actually play the DS games. I had the original 2 on my GBA SP but when I upgraded to DS I didn't know the series continued (maybe because of the main character changes :p).

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion

DAY 3: Days of Ruin commercial had an animation?

A very interesting find I found while searching for different commercials for Advance Wars over the years. I found it really odd that there was a special animation done for the French commercial of Days of Ruin (or Dark Conflict as they call it in Europe) that was sort of done like an anime.

Makes you think how cool a Days of Ruin anime could have been huh?

Which Wars World theme? The one from AW1 or AW2? Both are great though I prefer the AW2 version a lot more. I love that "newspaper report" vibe it gives out especially in the intro of the game.

And yes Smash is in need of Advance Wars tracks. There could be so many AW tracks put in different stages like Max' theme on the Punch-Out stage and Eagle's theme on the Pilotwings stage.
Awww, I never knew DOR had that but it’s nice that Will is animated (sort of).

Am I on the support list?

Because I support Andy, I just want a AW rep really.

Good Luck to everyone.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
:facepalm:
Duh, I get the two confused cos dual strike is such typical sequel title but it refers to the 2 screens, not being the second game...:dizzy:

Well in that case I'll say that I didn't actually play the DS games. I had the original 2 on my GBA SP but when I upgraded to DS I didn't know the series continued (maybe because of the main character changes :p).
It's all good dude haha. The GBA games were the only two I played for a long time before playing Dual Strike a few years ago. Never knew much about the DS ones until like later in the 2000's.

TBH the art style for Dual Strike was really off-putting for me when I saw it the first time. I didn't like how the CO's looked like.
Awww, I never knew DOR had that but it’s nice that Will is animated (sort of).

Am I on the support list?

Because I support Andy, I just want a AW rep really.

Good Luck to everyone.
Yeah I was amazed by the find as well. It's cool to see all this content that sometimes goes undetected like that. It's a shame this was only exclusive to the French commercial and not the North American version.

I didn't know if you wanted me to add you or not but now that I know welcome to the support list!

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Day 6: More Badass Covers!

Man this is an awesome cover of Sami's theme. Really captures her personality really well. Cheerful, energetic, and personable.

Somehow when I listen to Advance Wars tracks I end up making lyrics to the themes. Does anyone else do that as well? Or is it just me lol.
Orange Star Army, cmon dude keep it consistent :p
Yeah but I like to change it up every now and then so it doesn't sound like i'm a robot lol.

But yes, RandomAce RandomAce is very much apart of the Orange Star Army. Or at least to bootleg Orange Star Army I made up for this thread. :b:

Technically Orange Star doesn't exist because the actual name is Red Star lol.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp

Day 6: More Badass Covers!

Man this is an awesome cover of Sami's theme. Really captures her personality really well. Cheerful, energetic, and personable.

Somehow when I listen to Advance Wars tracks I end up making lyrics to the themes. Does anyone else do that as well? Or is it just me lol.

Yeah but I like to change it up every now and then so it doesn't sound like i'm a robot lol.

But yes, RandomAce RandomAce is very much apart of the Orange Star Army. Or at least to bootleg Orange Star Army I made up for this thread. :b:

Technically Orange Star doesn't exist because the actual name is Red Star lol.
Ugh, these covers just make my mouth water at the possibility of AW tracks in Smash, it can seriously never be said too much that the AW OST is ****ing INCREDIBLE.

Also that tidbit on Orange/Red Star always gets me. It's crazy how tone deaf 90s/early 00s Japanese game developers were. The same could probably be said of American ones too I guess but seriously, you're making an Army game and you're modelling one of the nations after USA. What do you call them? Red Star lol...

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Also that tidbit on Orange/Red Star always gets me. It's crazy how tone deaf 90s/early 00s Japanese game developers were. The same could probably be said of American ones too I guess but seriously, you're making an Army game and you're modelling one of the nations after USA. What do you call them? Red Star lol...
It was changed because you see here, we can't have any references to the commies lol.

Get it? Red Star? Communist? Lmao.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
It was changed because you see here, we can't have any references to the commies lol.

Get it? Red Star? Communist? Lmao.
Precisely my point, the developers were so tone deaf about that. You can't expect a game to sell well in the US when the main protagonists are the 'Red Star Army'...

And then the actual Russian is from 'Blue Moon' lol

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Day 7: Advance Wars Gals!

Artwork done by Cokomon

Hey Advance Wars has waifu's to y'know! :bee:

But for real I thought this was a cool drawing off the female CO's of Advance Wars. Wish there was more official artwork of Advance Wars characters just chilling in a casual setting. Sort of like the ending portraits were in Advance Wars 2 and Advance Wars: Dual Strike.
Precisely my point, the developers were so tone deaf about that. You can't expect a game to sell well in the US when the main protagonists are the 'Red Star Army'...

And then the actual Russian is from 'Blue Moon' lol
Lets not forget all the nutheads that would accuse Advance Wars of being communist propaganda lol. You know damn well that would be bound to happen.

Yeah the irony is not lost on me lol. Oddly enough the continent based on Europe (Green Earth) is the one that has the environmental friendly ring attached to it haha. I love the silliness of Advance Wars. :bee:

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

Day 7: Advance Wars Gals!

Artwork done by Cokomon

Hey Advance Wars has waifu's to y'know! :bee:

But for real I thought this was a cool drawing off the female CO's of Advance Wars. Wish there was more official artwork of Advance Wars characters just chilling in a casual setting. Sort of like the ending portraits were in Advance Wars 2 and Advance Wars: Dual Strike.

Lets not forget all the nutheads that would accuse Advance Wars of being communist propaganda lol. You know damn well that would be bound to happen.

Yeah the irony is not lost on me lol. Oddly enough the continent based on Europe (Green Earth) is the one that has the environmental friendly ring attached to it haha. I love the silliness of Advance Wars. :bee:
Sami is still the best girl.

Nuff said.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Day 8: Famicom Wars Commercial (i.e. 1980's Weirdness)

This was the commercial for Famicom Wars (the first installment in the Wars series in 1988) and it became a staple for the franchise, even being parodied twice with the Japanese commercials for Game Boy Wars and the one for Dual Strike.

I guess in a sort of way it's the equivalent to Wars what that old Fire Emblem commercial was back in 1990?

If there was ever a new Advance Wars game, I actually wouldn't mind if there was another sketch like this lol.
Sami is still the best girl.

Nuff said.
That's a funny way of saying Jess. ;)

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp

Day 8: Famicom Wars Commercial (i.e. 1980's Weirdness)

This was the commercial for Famicom Wars (the first installment in the Wars series in 1988) and it became a staple for the franchise, even being parodied twice with the Japanese commercials for Game Boy Wars and the one for Dual Strike.

I guess in a sort of way it's the equivalent to Wars what that old Fire Emblem commercial was back in 1990?

If there was ever a new Advance Wars game, I actually wouldn't mind if there was another sketch like this lol.

That's a funny way of saying Jess. ;)
That typo is understandable since J and N are so close on the keyboard :p

Also hell yes to seeing more of that sketch being related to a new reveal. It's such a perfect way to bring up how long running this franchise actually is.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
That typo is understandable since J and N are so close on the keyboard :p

Also hell yes to seeing more of that sketch being related to a new reveal. It's such a perfect way to bring up how long running this franchise actually is.
Uhh what typo? I must have missed something lol.

Yeah it would be an amazing nod to when the series began 30 years ago. People would appreciate the history of the franchise a lot more methinks.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Day 9: Max and Grit...as Figurines?

By Deviantart user Jelle-C

You never know what you'll find when you search the web for Advance Wars fanart lol.

This is so cheesy and I love it! (just look at the facials in this photo, it's priceless lmao). I can imagine an actual scene like this happening where Grit doesn't want to fight in a tank (being an indirect specialist) and makes Max use the tank lol.

RandomAce

Smash Champion

Day 9: Max and Grit...as Figurines?

By Deviantart user Jelle-C

You never know what you'll find when you search the web for Advance Wars fanart lol.

This is so cheesy and I love it! (just look at the facials in this photo, it's priceless lmao). I can imagine an actual scene like this happening where Grit doesn't want to fight in a tank (being an indirect specialist) and makes Max use the tank lol.
Off topic but, what happened to your profile picture!?

I also I want some love for DOR.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Off topic but, what happened to your profile picture!?

I also I want some love for DOR.
Can't you see? It's Max from the image I uploaded lol. Blessed image :)

No worries my friend! There will be plenty of DoR stuff.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Can't you see? It's Max from the image I uploaded lol. Blessed image :)

No worries my friend! There will be plenty of DoR stuff.
WHAT DID YOU DO TO MAX!?! Forget blessed image, I’m going to have nightmares now from him.

YEEH! Will needs some love from AW sometimes.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Day 10: Fire Emblem Andy (AKA Will lol)

By Deviantart user seiracchi

Don't take that title too seriously lol. Just a little joke I have of calling different protags of Advance Wars different abbreviations of Andy. i.e. Edgelord Andy (Jake), Fire Emblem Andy (Will).

I thought Will's character in Days of Ruin was good. He had the idealist thing going for him and his relationship with Isabelle was really sweet. Brenner is still the OG of Days of Ruin. His theme is lit AF.
WHAT DID YOU DO TO MAX!?! Forget blessed image, I’m going to have nightmares now from him.
Figurine Max hides under everyone's bed. :)

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion

Day 10: Fire Emblem Andy (AKA Will lol)

By Deviantart user seiracchi

Don't take that title too seriously lol. Just a little joke I have of calling different protags of Advance Wars different abbreviations of Andy. i.e. Edgelord Andy (Jake), Fire Emblem Andy (Will).

I thought Will's character in Days of Ruin was good. He had the idealist thing going for him and his relationship with Isabelle was really sweet. Brenner is still the OG of Days of Ruin. His theme is lit AF.

Figurine Max hides under everyone's bed. :)
Will is my favorite AW protagonist. His design, character, relationship with Isabelle, I’m happy they did a good job with him! I know this the Andy thread but I’ll bombard this thread if he’s playable, he fits nicely with the cast in my opinion.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Day 11: Lash and Hawke do "fun things"

By Deviantart user hanshee

Man Hawke sure loves his black coffee eh?

Hawke looks like he would rather be anywhere else in the world and Lash is crazy is always but that's what we love about her (unless it's facing her in the AW2 Campaign lol).

These two are the most popular characters among the 4 Black Hole CO's introduced in AW2. Poor Flak and Adder lol.

Also caption this image any way you'd like. :)

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp

Day 11: Lash and Hawke do "fun things"

By Deviantart user hanshee

Man Hawke sure loves his black coffee eh?

Hawke looks like he would rather be anywhere else in the world and Lash is crazy is always but that's what we love about her (unless it's facing her in the AW2 Campaign lol).

These two are the most popular characters among the 4 Black Hole CO's introduced in AW2. Poor Flak and Adder lol.

Also caption this image any way you'd like. :)
"Lash, can you get your knee off my shoulder, you know standing like that kills my back"

"Yessssss, tell me more"

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Day 12: Eagle X Sami Wholesomeness

By Deviantart user Mirinee

The OTP of Advance Wars lol. Well that and Jake X Sasha. There was hinted to be a love triangle of sorts between Max, Nell, and Grit though it was left pretty vague.

To me though, Eagle X Sami came off as a crack parring of sorts. Does anyone else feel that way? I mean it was all like Eagle insults Sami unintentionally, Sami beats Eagle in Mission 8 (depending on if you choose her), and then Eagle apologizes and suddenly Sami has the hots for him.

AW's story usually has a lot of wackiness but still that's one weird ass relationship lol.
"Lash, can you get your knee off my shoulder, you know standing like that kills my back"

"Yessssss, tell me more"
I bet Hawke wishes he had Black Wave charged up at that moment lol.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
I loved what I've played from the first Advance Wars and would love to get into the series. The potential moveset for Andy I've heard from numerous fans continually made my interest grow to desire having him in Smash. Plus I'd love Andy to join Smash to revive the AW series just like Isaac can do the same for Golden Sun. Count me in as a supporter :seuss:
I made these for you guys btw

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I loved what I've played from the first Advance Wars and would love to get into the series. The potential moveset for Andy I've heard from numerous fans continually made my interest grow to desire having him in Smash. Plus I'd love Andy to join Smash to revive the AW series just like Isaac can do the same for Golden Sun. Count me in as a supporter :seuss:
Not gonna lie, but that picture of Andy scares me.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I love it dude! Thanks a lot for taking the time to do this. It means a lot to me.

And it's cool to see a lot of overlap between Advance Wars/Golden Sun fans. Seeing as both series are in a very similar rut. Hopefully they will get their chances to shine on the Switch sooner or later.

And welcome to the support list! Or as we call it the Orange Star Army lol.
Y tho? :confused:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I love the effort and like the art style but I can see why, mouths that stretch the width of the face creep me out too, especially with a thin smile...:ohwell:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I love the effort and like the art style but I can see why, mouths that stretch the width of the face creep me out too, especially with a thin smile...:ohwell:
Well I mean the image is clearly designed the way AW proportions are lol. I mean hell Max in Dual Strike has his muscles bigger than his head. :laugh:

And for what it's worth, this is better than most Andy fanart I see out there. It embodies the spirit of Advance Wars quite well. Capturing Andy's energetic and outgoing personality.

Top Bottom