• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orange Star's Hyperactive Whiz Kid! - Andy For Smash Ultimate! We'll Live To Fight Another Day...

Favorite Advance Wars Game (Not Including pre-AW and Battalion Wars)

• Total voters

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Advance Wars fans.

You have been given a wondrous gift. A franchise back from the dead. I'm incredibly happy and I plan on purchasing the remake.

But you folks have to realize, Nintendo is taking a risk with this remake. We gotta make sure it's worth it. Please buy the game, and please put love into the community.

It's too late for anything to affect anything for this Smash, but this gift could help bolster community interest and demand for an Advance Wars character for the next game.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I haven't seen AI comparisons specifically, but the guy playing on the treehouse straight up cheeses at one point by baiting with an APC, confident it will be targeted while the people on commentary suggest he's left himself open.

On the other hand, damage comparisons suggest there will be no balance changes, at least when playing AW1 campaign. Finding matches online for this may be complicated between 2 differently balanced games.
I think MP will use a unified balance, probably AW2 balance possibly with some tweaks. There’s no reason to split MP between AW1 and AW2 balance, I don’t think.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
I very much doubt Advance Wars will get much more than it has already in this game, color me shocked if it even gets a Mii costume let alone a real fighter
they could always do a few spirits of the characters in the remake design but anything else feels like a waiting game <though there IS that gap of 3 spirits in the glossary...>

that said, there's actually a more than just "non zero" chance they might look to next game though, even if just from .00001 to .00002
maybe in that time Smash 7 will finally decided to induct Andy into the roster, or heck i'll take anyone at this point.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I very much doubt Advance Wars will get much more than it has already in this game, color me shocked if it even gets a Mii costume let alone a real fighter
they could always do a few spirits of the characters in the remake design but anything else feels like a waiting game <though there IS that gap of 3 spirits in the glossary...>

that said, there's actually a more than just "non zero" chance they might look to next game though, even if just from .00001 to .00002
maybe in that time Smash 7 will finally decided to induct Andy into the roster, or heck i'll take anyone at this point.
At this point even a spirit event would make me happy considering we only have a measly 4 of them (and 1 is the generic tank from Famicom Wars) and considering how neglected the Wars series has been in Smash in general.
Anything beyond that would be nice but I’m not holding my breath.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, as far as I see, in at least 5+ years from now, the performances of these remakes could potentially influence the addition of an AW character in the next Smash. It helps that Wayforward has a built-in audience, so new AW devotees could pour in support.

Also, if a new SW game just has to bring in relationships, I would love it if Nell stayed, at least.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Yeah, as far as I see, in at least 5+ years from now, the performances of these remakes could potentially influence the addition of an AW character in the next Smash. It helps that Wayforward has a built-in audience, so new AW devotees could pour in support.

Also, if a new SW game just has to bring in relationships, I would love it if Nell stayed, at least.
If - and it's a very big if, of course - this does well enough to get us a new AW game, I think an AW rep in the next Smash Bros down the road is very likely. AW is by far the largest and oldest first-party franchise still completely without representation in Smash. AW missed getting in during Brawl when it still had active releases because there were still many other characters in line, but with the roster size where it is currently, if AW was getting new releases and had an active following, I don't see how you could avoid putting in an AW rep.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If - and it's a very big if, of course - this does well enough to get us a new AW game, I think an AW rep in the next Smash Bros down the road is very likely. AW is by far the largest and oldest first-party franchise still completely without representation in Smash. AW missed getting in during Brawl when it still had active releases because there were still many other characters in line, but with the roster size where it is currently, if AW was getting new releases and had an active following, I don't see how you could avoid putting in an AW rep.
Yeah, I mean :ultmario: and Metroid are finally starting to run out of major candidates to include. Only real thing that'd get in AW's way at this point (besides flopping) is a resurgence for :ultdk:. Other evergreen first-party series like :ultwario: have yet to get anyone else added since Brawl, although there's no telling if that'll change.

Physical release listed!

View attachment 319706
Well, good thing I placed an order for Web Warriors at my local mall recently, so I may get to pre-order this ASAP.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Look, I know y'all are skeptical for Andy's chances to be Fighter 11 and I get that. I'm just saying to not count him out. Even if he isn't the likeliest pick to be the last fighter of the pass, the Wars series is still one of Nintendo's biggest, long-running franchise to not be represented in Smash Bros. Andy himself fits the theme of the Pass of having his own unique mechanic to bring gameplay wise with the fund system and what have you.

Also, keep in mind that this is the first time the Wars series has been relevant for anything Smash related since Brawl and that was a very long time ago. If the trademark is anything to go by, this game was most likely in development back in late-2018 if not even earlier than that. That's more than enough time for Andy to be considered for the 2nd Pass (which was decided on mid-late 2019).

I have no doubt that Advance Wars fans and other new fans will help push this game farther than it's ever been. Advance Wars 1 on the GBA did 700K units and that's the record for this franchise. If the remake does double those numbers, the message will be sent to Nintendo/IntSys loud and clear. And not only that, but also at a higher price point as well.

For what it's worth as well, Advance Wars seems to be doing well on Amazon. It's currently placed as the #18 Best Selling Video Game item as i'm typing this.

Amazon.com Best Sellers: Best Video Games
1623960806533.png

Physical release listed!

View attachment 319706
Perfect, now I have an excuse to buy it twice, haha.
Well, good thing I placed an order for Web Warriors at my local mall recently, so I may get to pre-order this ASAP.
I pre-ordered mine from Best Buy Day 1. I also pre-ordered a digital copy just in case there's retailer issues or whatever. I'm not fooling around when it comes to supporting this game haha.
Another milestone in all the excitement, this thread has surpassed 2000 posts!
Indeed! I remember sometime after the 11/1 Smash Direct we were celebrating this thread having over 1,000 posts. Now, we're over twice that and with over 100K views. Suffice to say, this Andy thread is MUCH more active than the Brawl & Smash 4 ones. Also, RIP the Brawl Andy thread that only had two pages. :(
Advance Wars fans.

You have been given a wondrous gift. A franchise back from the dead. I'm incredibly happy and I plan on purchasing the remake.

But you folks have to realize, Nintendo is taking a risk with this remake. We gotta make sure it's worth it. Please buy the game, and please put love into the community.
Ayy good to see you here Swamp!

We're going to do everything in our power to make sure this game is a success. I'm already doing my part in pre-ordering this game Day 1 and trying to push this franchise on social media.

Hopefully, this game will break the million mark within it's first month to send the message.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Unfortunately based on Sakurai quotes from way back, after Ultimate I believe that Smash is going to be pared back. Ultimate may keep getting ported and a couple updates here and there because of the cultural monolith it is, but I think new Smash games are going to be reset and spend their time re-examining already playable characters and how they're represented (by necessity really, you just can't top Ultimate for it's scope).

Reactions: Ura

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
1623977336020.png

For what it's worth, Advance Wars seems to be doing pretty well on Amazon. It's out of stock so one would have to imagine it's selling well enough even though that was the case for the other games announced in the Direct. Was also #18 in the Best Sellers as I mentioned before and #10 among Switch games.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
View attachment 319794

For what it's worth, Advance Wars seems to be doing pretty well on Amazon. It's out of stock so one would have to imagine it's selling well enough even though that was the case for the other games announced in the Direct. Was also #18 in the Best Sellers as I mentioned before and #10 among Switch games.
That's a good sign! Hopefully internet personalities and Nintendo themselves do a good job of promoting this game to newcomers who have an interest in the IP enough for the series to get a brand new game in the future.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
View attachment 319794

Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 9.35.59 PM.png

I'm doing my part!

Unfortunately based on Sakurai quotes from way back, after Ultimate I believe that Smash is going to be pared back. Ultimate may keep getting ported and a couple updates here and there because of the cultural monolith it is, but I think new Smash games are going to be reset and spend their time re-examining already playable characters and how they're represented (by necessity really, you just can't top Ultimate for it's scope).
Perfect, we can trim a lot of the reps from series that have a million of them in order to make room for more series that don't have any at all 😉

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
To me, it's irrelevant how many characters will or won't come back, it doesn't affect Andy's chances in the slightest. The impact of current games influencing newcomers will, and the majority of Switch games have been covered already. Maybe Ring Fit Adventurer and Ayumi could get in the way, but that's it.

Besides, we have no idea what'll happen around 6 years from now. A lot of things can happen that could get Sak to change his mind on things.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
That's a good sign! Hopefully internet personalities and Nintendo themselves do a good job of promoting this game to newcomers who have an interest in the IP enough for the series to get a brand new game in the future.
Yeah, we're all doing out part to get the AW brand out there. I'm also brainstorming some possibilities of how to do an Operation Sunrise-esque movement to drum up interest on social media. If y'all have an idea for this, i'd love to hear it!
I pre-ordered both physical and digital. Gotta make the message get through to Nintendo haha.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Nintendo Life did a comparison video.

The remake is looking great so far! I just hope they'll address community concerns so that people on the fence about buying this game will be swayed to purchase come launch.
Metal Slug x Advance Wars.

I shared this on my Twitter. Can't believe we're in for a whole new generation of fans getting in to Advance Wars and a new wave of fanart after not having much over the past 13+ years.
Hi! Advance Wars is neat and I'm very glad it's back! Wayforward seems to be doing a great job at capturing a cartoonish toy-solider-esque aesthetic and I'm really excited! Sign me up as a supporter.
You've been added to the support list! Welcome aboard friend!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I noticed in the Treehouse livestream Nell can use her CO Power in the Field Training mission Tank Ops. IIRC she couldn't in the original Tank Ops.
I'm noticing the game's script as a whole seems to be mostly re-written, the gist is the same in both versions but there are tweaks. Like, I don't know if Ura Ura could correct me on this, but the way Andy is written here seems to make come off as less of a naive goof and more someone who's just a bit unused to how things work in the Advance Wars world.

The fact that Andy is present at all in the Tank Ops tutorial is a major change, because as far as I can recall, Nell in the original only spoke to you, the player back then, whereas she does no such thing here and only speaks to Andy. I suppose we'll see if Andy not knowing what is an airport is still played straight, because Wayforward being who they are (comedic, borderline self-aware writing is another of their specialties), I could also see them pulling the rug from old fans expecting that old gag. And believe me, they are all too familiar with fans reaming a character memetically for saying something stupid or incorrect.

Anyway, I've only played through the first game on Wii U, but I have seen other people play this game a lot while growing up, and I am eager to experience these with a Wayforward coat of paint. I know most people aren't expecting too many changes or additions from a gameplay perspective, but I just want to bring up the fact that they do have this bunch under their belts...

And finally, concerning Smash, maybe it's just me, but it doesn't feel particularly right to have only one of the three OG Orange Stars, not even Sami who is the arguable fan favorite (and my personal one in Orange Star). The trio are practically inseparable in nearly any art featuring them, and I'd really like to see them work as a team, however possible.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I'm noticing the game's script as a whole seems to be mostly re-written, the gist is the same in both versions but there are tweaks. Like, I don't know if Ura Ura could correct me on this, but the way Andy is written here seems to make come off as less of a naive goof and more someone who's just a bit unused to how things work in the Advance Wars world.

The fact that Andy is present at all in the Tank Ops tutorial is a major change, because as far as I can recall, Nell in the original only spoke to you, the player back then, whereas she does no such thing here and only speaks to Andy. I suppose we'll see if Andy not knowing what is an airport is still played straight, because Wayforward being who they are (comedic, borderline self-aware writing is another of their specialties), I could also see them pulling the rug from old fans expecting that old gag. And believe me, they are all too familiar with fans reaming a character memetically for saying something stupid or incorrect.
I might be overthinking this, but what if that's their way of addressing IntSys's issue with the characters not be as relatable as FE characters? Y'know, add a bit more depth to them, even if it's not much?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I might be overthinking this, but what if that's their way of addressing IntSys's issue with the characters not be as relatable as FE characters? Y'know, add a bit more depth to them, even if it's not much?
These changes could be as much for logistics as they are artistic. Some people here brought up Eagle's CO power being name Drive instead of Strike in AW1 campaign when that was what it was changed to in 2, and interestingly, his dialogue before activating it in the first encounter with him no longer directly refers to what it does, instead making a vow to not give up in retribution of Orange Star's supposed attack on Green Earth.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Can add me to the support list! Personally I think a tag team of all three Orange Star CO’s would be the best route for a character, with them all sharing a “buy and lay down units.” There could be a Black Hole pallate swap for each CO as well! Flak in smash would be too much for my brain. Really hope the reboot launches them back into the running for future smash games!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Anyway, I've only played through the first game on Wii U, but I have seen other people play this game a lot while growing up, and I am eager to experience these with a Wayforward coat of paint. I know most people aren't expecting too many changes or additions from a gameplay perspective, but I just want to bring up the fact that they do have this bunch under their belts...

And finally, concerning Smash, maybe it's just me, but it doesn't feel particularly right to have only one of the three OG Orange Stars, not even Sami who is the arguable fan favorite (and my personal one in Orange Star). The trio are practically inseparable in nearly any art featuring them, and I'd really like to see them work as a team, however possible.
Oh yeah, true that! I also noticed some CO's having different demeanors than their OG counterparts. Like you mentioned, Andy seems less naive and more unused to knowing how everything in Advance Wars works. Or maybe that's just the way he comes across in his animations? Likewise with Nell, she seems less mature/adult-like than she was in the originals and leans much more to the "kawaii/anime" side of things (also looks younger).

They did seem to completely remove the self-insert advisor role which i'm a fan of. It just makes dialogue weird with the CO's talking to you, the "advisor" much like FE7. I think Andy is going to sub in for the self-insert which is totally cool in my book, Maybe due to him being apart of Field Training is the reason why he's less dumb? IDK lol. I totally want to see them subvert everyone's expectations in the "what's an airport?" scene. Like, Andy could say that and then be like "sike of course I know what it is sillies!" and i'd love that. Or maybe just pretend to not know stuff to tease Max & Sami? IDK lol. It did say in the trailer that this game is a "re-imagining" of the GBA titles so I could see them taking creative liberties here and there with the story.

I'm not too familar with WayForward stuff but from what I hear, the Shantae series is really beloved from them so I trust them with these remakes. Maybe after this game, WayForward could create a new Advance Wars if IntSys is too busy working on Fire Emblem.

In regards to Smash Bros, you could go about that either with an individual CO or the entire Orange Star trio. My personal preference is for Andy to fight solo because having the attention on one CO helps build attachment to that one character for the player. Also, I feel like the three characters function too differently. Andy's moveset kit would have a heavy focus on repairing damaged units and wrench melee attacks whereas Sami is more of a Snake-esque fighter with her hand to hand combat and focus on her machine gun melee attacks. Max I feel would be a Falcon-esque fighter so he's probably the most unoriginal of the three.

That being said, i'm not opposed to the idea. I've seen some moveset ideas that have the three as a trio working together which I kinda liked. And with Pyra/Mythra being a two in one fighter, it's not out of the realm of possibility to have a three in one fighter in Andy, Sami, & Max. I just like the idea of Andy running solo with Sami & Max in some of his moves. As long as Advance Wars is represented in Smash, then i'm good lol.

Speaking of which, here's my custom Challenger Pack for Andy I did back in November last year. Check it out when you have the chance!
These changes could be as much for logistics as they are artistic. Some people here brought up Eagle's CO power being name Drive instead of Strike in AW1 campaign when that was what it was changed to in 2, and interestingly, his dialogue before activating it in the first encounter with him no longer directly refers to what it does, instead making a vow to not give up in retribution of Orange Star's supposed attack on Green Earth.
I'd definitely be down for more character interactions between the CO's and having more focus on the characters. Hell, you could even have a mode where the focus is on the CO's somehow like a dossier of the CO's and their detailed backstories of how they became CO's and why. They could also continue on with what AW2 and AWDS did with having neat artwork of the CO's together and/or interacting with each other.
Can add me to the support list! Personally I think a tag team of all three Orange Star CO’s would be the best route for a character, with them all sharing a “buy and lay down units.” There could be a Black Hole pallate swap for each CO as well! Flak in smash would be too much for my brain. Really hope the reboot launches them back into the running for future smash games!
You were added to the support list some months ago (check the OP). That being said, I love the idea of a Black Hole pallet swap for any of the CO's that are in the game, whether it be Andy or the Orange Star Trio.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Oh yeah, true that! I also noticed some CO's having different demeanors than their OG counterparts. Like you mentioned, Andy seems less naive and more unused to knowing how everything in Advance Wars works. Or maybe that's just the way he comes across in his animations? Likewise with Nell, she seems less mature/adult-like than she was in the originals and leans much more to the "kawaii/anime" side of things (also looks younger).

They did seem to completely remove the self-insert advisor role which i'm a fan of. It just makes dialogue weird with the CO's talking to you, the "advisor" much like FE7. I think Andy is going to sub in for the self-insert which is totally cool in my book, Maybe due to him being apart of Field Training is the reason why he's less dumb? IDK lol. I totally want to see them subvert everyone's expectations in the "what's an airport?" scene. Like, Andy could say that and then be like "sike of course I know what it is sillies!" and i'd love that. Or maybe just pretend to not know stuff to tease Max & Sami? IDK lol. It did say in the trailer that this game is a "re-imagining" of the GBA titles so I could see them taking creative liberties here and there with the story.

I'm not too familar with WayForward stuff but from what I hear, the Shantae series is really beloved from them so I trust them with these remakes. Maybe after this game, WayForward could create a new Advance Wars if IntSys is too busy working on Fire Emblem.

In regards to Smash Bros, you could go about that either with an individual CO or the entire Orange Star trio. My personal preference is for Andy to fight solo because having the attention on one CO helps build attachment to that one character for the player. Also, I feel like the three characters function too differently. Andy's moveset kit would have a heavy focus on repairing damaged units and wrench melee attacks whereas Sami is more of a Snake-esque fighter with her hand to hand combat and focus on her machine gun melee attacks. Max I feel would be a Falcon-esque fighter so he's probably the most unoriginal of the three.

That being said, i'm not opposed to the idea. I've seen some moveset ideas that have the three as a trio working together which I kinda liked. And with Pyra/Mythra being a two in one fighter, it's not out of the realm of possibility to have a three in one fighter in Andy, Sami, & Max. I just like the idea of Andy running solo with Sami & Max in some of his moves. As long as Advance Wars is represented in Smash, then i'm good lol.

Speaking of which, here's my custom Challenger Pack for Andy I did back in November last year. Check it out when you have the chance!

I'd definitely be down for more character interactions between the CO's and having more focus on the characters. Hell, you could even have a mode where the focus is on the CO's somehow like a dossier of the CO's and their detailed backstories of how they became CO's and why. They could also continue on with what AW2 and AWDS did with having neat artwork of the CO's together and/or interacting with each other.

You were added to the support list some months ago (check the OP). That being said, I love the idea of a Black Hole pallet swap for any of the CO's that are in the game, whether it be Andy or the Orange Star Trio.
It's specifically the animation where he crosses his arms and shuts his eyes in a somewhat frustrated manner where I really get the impression he's changed (he never did anything like this in the original). He does this when he's trying to wrap his head around Nell's explanation of how CO Powers work, as though he isn't buying it. Old Andy probably would have just taken it at face value.

Then there's his reaction to having to fight Eagle's forces after Nell, er, "ditches" him (giving me some Palutena vibes, now that I think about it). Instead of despairing at the situation and giving the impression he'd be totally helpless if not for you guiding him, in the reboot he more or less just shrugs and goes "welp, looks like I've gotta solve this", if still a little worried. Honestly, both of these moments fit really well for a guy whose hobby is fixing things; after all you have to know how things work to properly repair them, no?

On the whole, Wayforward's characters are mostly about the same level of depth as most Advance Wars COs. There are standouts in Shantae herself, her nemesis Risky Boots and mischievous zombie friend Rottytops that are more developed than others, but mostly they do more with less. Sometimes they let actions do the talking more than words, such as in Mighty Switch Force.

I will say one more thing about Sami, and that is the fact that her personality is not that far off from how Shantae is on a daily basis. And apparently one of her "likes" listed on some of the games was long hair? Well, it doesn't get much longer than a ponytail used as a whip.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It's specifically the animation where he crosses his arms and shuts his eyes in a somewhat frustrated manner where I really get the impression he's changed (he never did anything like this in the original). He does this when he's trying to wrap his head around Nell's explanation of how CO Powers work, as though he isn't buying it. Old Andy probably would have just taken it at face value.

Then there's his reaction to having to fight Eagle's forces after Nell, er, "ditches" him (giving me some Palutena vibes, now that I think about it). Instead of despairing at the situation and giving the impression he'd be totally helpless if not for you guiding him, in the reboot he more or less just shrugs and goes "welp, looks like I've gotta solve this", if still a little worried. Honestly, both of these moments fit really well for a guy whose hobby is fixing things; after all you have to know how things work to properly repair them, no?

On the whole, Wayforward's characters are mostly about the same level of depth as most Advance Wars COs. There are standouts in Shantae herself, her nemesis Risky Boots and mischievous zombie friend Rottytops that are more developed than others, but mostly they do more with less. Sometimes they let actions do the talking more than words, such as in Mighty Switch Force.

I will say one more thing about Sami, and that is the fact that her personality is not that far off from how Shantae is on a daily basis. And apparently one of her "likes" listed on some of the games was long hair? Well, it doesn't get much longer than a ponytail used as a whip.
Yep, Reboot Andy seems to have a bit of an attitude about him and I like that. Honestly, I don't mind some CO's having some character alterations that aren't too drastic. Funny that you mention Pit/Palutena because Andy/Nell was just like that a decade before Uprising came out on the 3DS haha (albeit a bit less antagonistic).

Andy being all like "okay screw it i'm taking charge" is a welcome change. This game is a reimagining so having some tweaks to CO's like that is welcome in my book so as long as they aren't drastic changes.

And speaking of which, I wonder how other CO's will be handled? Olaf looks less menacing then he did in the GBA games and is more like a grumpy old man. Eagle in his animations looks a bit less cocky than he does in the originals.

Personally, I hope they make Sturm a lot more menacing then he was in the GBA games. And maybe there should be some kind of twist in the final mission where the heroes (and the player by extension) think they have him beat only to unveil some kind of trap. Basically, veteran players think they have everything in the bag because they played the originals but then something unexpected happens which causes them to rethink quickly on the spot.

Basically, I wouldn't mind some changes so this remake isn't completely 1:1 the GBA games.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
My vote is that sn earlier line pointing out something on the map is delivered by a soldier, eg "Sir, Kanbei's captured a forward base near our HQ", the soldier is the one who asks "what's an airport" and Andy is berated for having someone who doesn't know about airports relaying strategic information under his command.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
My vote is that sn earlier line pointing out something on the map is delivered by a soldier, eg "Sir, Kanbei's captured a forward base near our HQ", the soldier is the one who asks "what's an airport" and Andy is berated for having someone who doesn't know about airports relaying strategic information under his command.
This is a neat work around for the scene but I like the idea of Andy being all like "sike of course I know what an airport is dummies!" just to throw off veteran players lol.

They should do more of that so it's not the exact same story for both games. Maybe some missions are tweaked to throw players off as I mentioned before and some missions becoming more challenging.

And yes, I want a swerve in either the first or second campaign where you think Sturm is finished but sike there's another mission you have to do that wasn't included in the originals.

amageish

Smash Master
And yes, I want a swerve in either the first or second campaign where you think Sturm is finished but sike there's another mission you have to do that wasn't included in the originals.
Oooooh, that would be really neat! Given how they handled River City Girls, I feel pretty confidant in Wayforward's ability to respectfully alter an existing series while also injecting it with a new sense of life and comedy. I just hope the games also get released in Japan...

Fun image I found.

View attachment 320218

Source:

Well, that'd be a twist. I don't know how I'd feel about them doing a guessing game like this for the final character, but I guess it could be interesting...

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So in regards to Advance Wars not having a Japanese localization yet, I addressed this already but i'm 99% certain a localization will be announced in the September Direct given what I mentioned before with this being the FDC remakes but in reverse.

That being said, I had a cool interaction with a Japanese fan who expressed his support for having the remakes localized in Japan. Check it out below.

Not only that but there were other Japanese fans wanting to see the remakes localized there as well.

Honestly, there's no reason why Nintendo shouldn't release the game over there. I'm already certain they're planning on releasing the remakes there but as to the whole "Advance Wars didn't do well in Japan" thing, that was a decade and a half ago. There legit hasn't been a release over there (at least a proper release) for 16 years. The market has changed and evolved since then not to mention the series had bad luck as is when it came to marketing back then. If they released it now, the series would at least do decent numbers at the minimum given how well Nintendo's IP sell on the Switch.
Fun image I found.

View attachment 320218

Source:

Well, that'd be a twist. I don't know how I'd feel about them doing a guessing game like this for the final character, but I guess it could be interesting...
This moveset concept and the mockup image comes from Max Hamm Max Hamm who has posted in this thread a couple of times. His video is a really fun watch so check it out if you haven't seen it already.
Oooooh, that would be really neat! Given how they handled River City Girls, I feel pretty confidant in Wayforward's ability to respectfully alter an existing series while also injecting it with a new sense of life and comedy. I just hope the games also get released in Japan...
Haven't played RCG but I did like the look of the game. Had no idea it was made from a pre-existing IP as is.

Given how they tweaked some of the CO's, this is something I could totally see happening. Throw us off by having there be one last mission in the AW2 campaign that wasn't in the original or even have Sturm somehow return after the Rivals bonus mission and Andy has to face him solo.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
It would be so disappointing if they cut the "what's an airport" line completely.

But, more seriously, I like the idea of spicing up the story a bit. So far, I'm not really concerned by the minor personality changes that have been observed from the small sample of footage we have.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
And they've already managed to turn that into it's own sub-franchise with a sequel and re-release of the classic inspiration: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...d_for_switch_along_with_river_city_girls_zero

Crazier still is how you could say that sub-franchise actually started much earlier with Double Dragon Neon, in 2012. (There are many characters from that game in River City Girls.) Suffice it to say that Wayforward is good at remembering characters in their works.

I don't think that a guessing game would go over well for Advance Wars though. Not only because older fans would not be convinced the rep won't be someone from Orange Star, but younger fans wouldn't know any of them.

amageish

Smash Master
So in regards to Advance Wars not having a Japanese localization yet, I addressed this already but i'm 99% certain a localization will be announced in the September Direct given what I mentioned before with this being the FDC remakes but in reverse.

That being said, I had a cool interaction with a Japanese fan who expressed his support for having the remakes localized in Japan. Check it out below.
I'd be surprised if it didn't make it over; it does just appear that modern Nintendo isn't as willing to announced localizations without localized text being ready for the reveal trailer... I'm unsure if it'll be day-and-day in Japan as it is over here though.

I'm glad there is an audience hoping for it to be out over there though!

This moveset concept and the mockup image comes from Max Hamm Max Hamm who has posted in this thread a couple of times. His video is a really fun watch so check it out if you haven't seen it already.
That is a very impressive video. Unfortunate it only has a few thousand views, as it is very good!

Haven't played RCG but I did like the look of the game. Had no idea it was made from a pre-existing IP as is.

Given how they tweaked some of the CO's, this is something I could totally see happening. Throw us off by having there be one last mission in the AW2 campaign that wasn't in the original or even have Sturm somehow return after the Rivals bonus mission and Andy has to face him solo.
Oh, yes, it's based on the Kunio-kun franchise - known in the west as River City Ransom. It actually got a spirit event in Smash towards the beginning of last year.

Yeah, this seems possible to me too. Or maybe having some sort of post-game/NG+ situation going on...

And they've already managed to turn that into it's own sub-franchise with a sequel and re-release of the classic inspiration: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...d_for_switch_along_with_river_city_girls_zero

Crazier still is how you could say that sub-franchise actually started much earlier with Double Dragon Neon, in 2012. (There are many characters from that game in River City Girls.) Suffice it to say that Wayforward is good at remembering characters in their works.

I don't think that a guessing game would go over well for Advance Wars though. Not only because older fans would not be convinced the rep won't be someone from Orange Star, but younger fans wouldn't know any of them.
Very true! Double Dragon Neon definitely paved the way for River City Girls, even if I find the latter better in... almost every away. I'm definitely hopeful about their ability to play with canon in funny and enjoyable ways though.

Yeah, Advance Wars having a guessing game just sounds like it'd be a bad day for everyone involved. It'd be fun to ponder hypotheticals, but also I can imagine the discourse being very cutthroat in parts of the fandom while most Smash fans are busy being angry it wasn't a big third party.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
On the other hand, damage comparisons suggest there will be no balance changes, at least when playing AW1 campaign. Finding matches online for this may be complicated between 2 differently balanced games.
That's why I really think we will have balancing for the whole Re-boot. There won't be two games in one game, there will be two campaigns in one game. Note the difference.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'd be surprised if it didn't make it over; it does just appear that modern Nintendo isn't as willing to announced localizations without localized text being ready for the reveal trailer... I'm unsure if it'll be day-and-day in Japan as it is over here though.

I'm glad there is an audience hoping for it to be out over there though!

Very true! Double Dragon Neon definitely paved the way for River City Girls, even if I find the latter better in... almost every away. I'm definitely hopeful about their ability to play with canon in funny and enjoyable ways though.

Yeah, Advance Wars having a guessing game just sounds like it'd be a bad day for everyone involved. It'd be fun to ponder hypotheticals, but also I can imagine the discourse being very cutthroat in parts of the fandom while most Smash fans are busy being angry it wasn't a big third party.
A reminder that Wayforward is a western developer through and through, so it's only natural that japanese localization will take longer, like Ubisoft's Mario + Rabbids. They've certainly been trying to break into that market lately, though.

That's why I really think we will have balancing for the whole Re-boot. There won't be two games in one game, there will be two campaigns in one game. Note the difference.
I suppose that's the best case scenario, having a multiplayer with a separate roster balancing for that alone, with options for both AW1 and AW2 rules (Super CO Powers versus not having them), while possibly being able to unlock the unaltered versions of COs via campaign playthroughs, but they would be restricted from normal online play.

Last Andy change tidbit I wanna share for today, he now gets pissed when people destroy his units, instead of just sad.

Top Bottom