• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orange Star's Hyperactive Whiz Kid! - Andy For Smash Ultimate! We'll Live To Fight Another Day...

Favorite Advance Wars Game (Not Including pre-AW and Battalion Wars)

• Total voters

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Alright today the streak is finally broken! Fanart of the Day is actually a Fanart once again (Hallelujah!)

Today's fanart comes to us from Deviantart user DemonMads and features Sonja, Lash, and Sasha all at a restaurant.

Sonja and Lash are ecstatic because they know they're not paying for jack and Sasha is not happy knowing everyone expects her to pay for everything. :p

But then again it's not really a big deal right? Colin generates money out of thin air for crying out loud. Gold Rush nerf plz. ;)
Don't worry... when I first started I just spammed tanks/medium tanks along with infantry to capture things and A-Air when necessary. I don't remember the game being too complicated, but it definitely wasn't easy to just pick-up on a whim. Especially when you have to strategize around various CO. Powers and stuff.

The units aren't much harder than learning FE's weapon triangle, except it isn't really a "triangle". Not sure which one you're playing. Also keep in mind during Fog of War that you can get surprised when attempting to move into spaces you don't have vision of. If an enemy unit occupies that space you're unit will stop moving and be unable to act where they got intercepted. FoW is the only mode where recons are useful due to their high movement and vision range since their weapon is quite weak vs. anything that isn't infantry.
Is it bad that I employ the exact same strategy you mentioned in most maps? Lol.

FoW is defieaely cheap in the GBA games and I think Dual Strike to a certain degree. Knowing how to work around the CPU AI is something you learn over time. Thankfully, Days of Ruin was the first Advance Wars game to have fair CPU AI.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Today's fanart comes from innovator123 and features the Orange Star gang (minus Jake and Rachel)

Really wish we could have had cutscenes featuring the Orange Star Trio (Andy, Sami, and Max). Obviously that wasn't possible during the GBA era (and I guess the DS one as well).

Like I would take bit-sized video animations similar to Pokemon Generations that features a certain event in the Advance Wars lore. I would love for an OVA that takes place at the end of AW2 where all the CO's confront Sturm at the end of the game. Even more light-hearted OVA's would be cool like Andy being clueless and causing trouble for Orange Star. :p
I can see the glasses girl being the best one of the three.
That's Sonja. I know it's a bit hard to tell because in the Japanese version of the game she wears glasses.

Speaking of which there was a lot of design changes from both versions. Least we forget Santa Olaf lol.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Today's fanart comes from innovator123 and features the Orange Star gang (minus Jake and Rachel)

Really wish we could have had cutscenes featuring the Orange Star Trio (Andy, Sami, and Max). Obviously that wasn't possible during the GBA era (and I guess the DS one as well).

Like I would take bit-sized video animations similar to Pokemon Generations that features a certain event in the Advance Wars lore. I would love for an OVA that takes place at the end of AW2 where all the CO's confront Sturm at the end of the game. Even more light-hearted OVA's would be cool like Andy being clueless and causing trouble for Orange Star. :p

That's Sonja. I know it's a bit hard to tell because in the Japanese version of the game she wears glasses.

Speaking of which there was a lot of design changes from both versions. Least we forget Santa Olaf lol.
Now this is good fanart of the crew.

Yeah, the localization in Japan was weird. I do like the Western designs more at least since they are less silly.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Now this is good fanart of the crew.

Yeah, the localization in Japan was weird. I do like the Western designs more at least since they are less silly.
It is kinda weird though.

The Japanese designs were the first ones (I think) even though Advance Wars launched in the West a full 3 years before it came out in Japan.

For me personally, I like to consider the Western ones the "legit" designs. It's the ones people recognize the most.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It is kinda weird though.

The Japanese designs were the first ones (I think) even though Advance Wars launched in the West a full 3 years before it came out in Japan.

For me personally, I like to consider the Western ones the "legit" designs. It's the ones people recognize the most.
That's right.

I feel that the Western designs have more originality to them than "lol Santa and cowboy CO's".

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
That's right.

I feel that the Western designs have more originality to them than "lol Santa and cowboy CO's".
I mean I just feel that the Western designs did a good job of not taking away from the characters while giving them a much better feel.

Take Kanbei's design from AW1. I think the western one does a perfect job in representing who Kanbei is as a person VS the Japanese design which I feel is too overbearing with the samurai get-up and whatnot.

And I don't even get Santa Olaf. I know Famicom Wars was known for it's silliness (i.e. Hetler) but it just feels so out of place for Olaf to be looking like Santa. He's a grizzled, war veteran and commander of the Blue Moon army.

I'm just relieved that Andy, Sami, and Max had their designs untouched in the Japanese version.

Sheng Long

Smash Apprentice
I also support Andy in Smash as well. I think he would be a unique addition and Nintendo definitely needs to revive the Advance Wars franchise.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I also support Andy in Smash as well. I think he would be a unique addition and Nintendo definitely needs to revive the Advance Wars franchise.
Welcome aboard man! Good to have you as a supporter.

Yes that's the sentiment just about everyone has in this thread lol. Advance Wars is long overdue for it's big comeback.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Today's Fanart of the Day? Plushie Jess :) Coming to us from Deviantart user DemonMads once again.

Why? Because there's no such thing as a shortage of Jess fanart. All hail the Pencil Missile of Doom! :awesome:
I'm finally out of the tutorial section, I cannot wait to finally play the Orange Star levels.
I know it's too late to bring this up but there's a way of skipping the Tutorial completely by just doing the last mission which kick starts you to the Campaign.

I mean some people are better off not doing that obviously (the ones who need to learn the fundamentals of the game) but otherwise it's a good way for veteran players to get right to the good stuff.

Now that you're finally at the Campaign things are going to get interesting. Keep in mind that certain decision you make will influence the CO's you get in the last mission. You can look that up and see the branching paths.

Speaking of which it's been a long time since I ran Advance Wars 1. I might give it a go soon.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I have 2 more weeks until college is out and I plan on celebrating by playing Dual Strike. Any tips for that game?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Today's fanart of the day features Sami in what appears to be the Yellow Comet Academy. From the RP fanblog, Ask Sonja on Tumblr

Advance Wars has a very weird lore. For one it's stated that Sami has a jealousy towards Sonja for performing better in military academy but it's also stated that Sami went to the Academy with Nell as well and respected her as her superior. So I guess that means Sonja was in the Academy at the same time Nell and Max were? Lol this story is so wack and I love it.
I have 2 more weeks until college is out and I plan on celebrating by playing Dual Strike. Any tips for that game?
Dual Strike is similar to it's predecessors but also adds a bunch of new features like Tag Mode where certain CO's have stronger Tag Powers with a select few. You can also attach certain skills to certain CO's depending on their level which makes them much more powerful than they usually are.

It's also the first game to not have Sturm as the main villain and Andy not as the main protag (not even appearing in the story for some reason). Instead, the main protags are Jake and Rachel (Max to an extent as well) and the Campaign features the combined efforts of the Wars World nations in combating the nefarious Von Bolt who wishes to drain the life out of Omega Land.

IMO the Campaign is really wack with a lot of it's plot points. I mean don't get me wrong the previous AW games had a lot of cheese in their story but Dual Strike takes it to a new level really. Despite that it's still a very enjoyable game.

Some would argue Dual Strike is the best in the series and there is an argument to be made there though I prefer the GBA titles more. They felt a lot more balanced (minus AW1 Max and AW2 Sturm mind you lol) with better Campaigns. You can't go wrong with any AW game really. Just shows how great each entry in the series is.

Lastly, Eagle + Sami Tag Power = Auto Win. Triple turn plus insta cap.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: Quick time Fanart of the Day. Today's fanart features Isabella from Days of Ruin made in to a fan-made trophy.

Can't find the source of who did the artwork (this is from the same place that did a bunch of characters; Andy, Nell, and Will included). Hopefully i'll find the place again. I saw it before a couple of years ago.

Seeing this really makes me upset that we never got to see any Advance Wars CO's at all as trophies. I mean Days of Ruin was sort of timely to at least get that in Smash 4 right? It came out right before Brawl released. Then again I could go on a tangent about the lack of Advance Wars content in Brawl/Smash 4 but alas, that's for another day.

I also plan on doing a feature for Isabella later as well as the rest of the CO's of Advance Wars. My plan is to have every CO featured in this thread.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Today's fanart of the day features Sami in what appears to be the Yellow Comet Academy. From the RP fanblog, Ask Sonja on Tumblr

Advance Wars has a very weird lore. For one it's stated that Sami has a jealousy towards Sonja for performing better in military academy but it's also stated that Sami went to the Academy with Nell as well and respected her as her superior. So I guess that means Sonja was in the Academy at the same time Nell and Max were? Lol this story is so wack and I love it.

Dual Strike is similar to it's predecessors but also adds a bunch of new features like Tag Mode where certain CO's have stronger Tag Powers with a select few. You can also attach certain skills to certain CO's depending on their level which makes them much more powerful than they usually are.

It's also the first game to not have Sturm as the main villain and Andy not as the main protag (not even appearing in the story for some reason). Instead, the main protags are Jake and Rachel (Max to an extent as well) and the Campaign features the combined efforts of the Wars World nations in combating the nefarious Von Bolt who wishes to drain the life out of Omega Land.

IMO the Campaign is really wack with a lot of it's plot points. I mean don't get me wrong the previous AW games had a lot of cheese in their story but Dual Strike takes it to a new level really. Despite that it's still a very enjoyable game.

Some would argue Dual Strike is the best in the series and there is an argument to be made there though I prefer the GBA titles more. They felt a lot more balanced (minus AW1 Max and AW2 Sturm mind you lol) with better Campaigns. You can't go wrong with any AW game really. Just shows how great each entry in the series is.

Lastly, Eagle + Sami Tag Power = Auto Win. Triple turn plus insta cap.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: Quick time Fanart of the Day. Today's fanart features Isabella from Days of Ruin made in to a fan-made trophy.

Can't find the source of who did the artwork (this is from the same place that did a bunch of characters; Andy, Nell, and Will included). Hopefully i'll find the place again. I saw it before a couple of years ago.

Seeing this really makes me upset that we never got to see any Advance Wars CO's at all as trophies. I mean Days of Ruin was sort of timely to at least get that in Smash 4 right? It came out right before Brawl released. Then again I could go on a tangent about the lack of Advance Wars content in Brawl/Smash 4 but alas, that's for another day.

I also plan on doing a feature for Isabella later as well as the rest of the CO's of Advance Wars. My plan is to have every CO featured in this thread.
I follow Gonzales, he is a great artist.

I've always liked his style and the way he made his own website doing Smash styled trophies for speculation. A lot of people hated his style back then, especially Oasis_S. lol

Koopaul

Smash Champion
You know I'd really like an Advance Wars character in the game, and Andy should be the best bet. However, I feel at this point if Nintendo's Wars series is getting a rep it might have to be as a Retro character from the Famicom Wars. I don't think there was actually a character from that game with a distinct identity, so it might just be "War Soldier" or something.

Obviously this would not be anywhere as good as Andy. But would any of you, hypothetically, be okay with this kond of fighter if it was the only way to get a Wars character in the game?

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
You know I'd really like an Advance Wars character in the game, and Andy should be the best bet. However, I feel at this point if Nintendo's Wars series is getting a rep it might have to be as a Retro character from the Famicom Wars. I don't think there was actually a character from that game with a distinct identity, so it might just be "War Soldier" or something.

Obviously this would not be anywhere as good as Andy. But would any of you, hypothetically, be okay with this kond of fighter if it was the only way to get a Wars character in the game?
I actually don't know. Obviously what really sets AW aside from FE is the gameplay and that's where the fans will differ. but so much of the popularity and what pulls the AW games together comes from the characters and their charm.

I'd probably still be happy because the theme still sounds like a moveset I'd enjoy and it's some kind of rep/acknowledgement of the Wars series that could potentially boost it back into the spotlight, but I don't think it'd be anything close to the happiness I'd get from just about any CO, let alone Andy himself.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Finally beaten the first map of Orange Star without losing any troops. The CO Power is a useful tool, I just wish the power allowed all units to move at least one step farther. :p

I think I am slowly finding the real core fun of this game.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Fanart of the Day features a fan-made moveset for Andy illustrated by Tumblr user Rlan. What do you guys think?

I mean a moveset like this would be fine and all (would gladly take this over the "Andy in a Tank" moveset some people have him doing) but the lack of having a tank special really hurts this moveset. It's like the bread and butter of AW. I also think Andy should be using his wrenches instead of rifles/bazooka's but either way is fine. Andy should at least integrate some wrench moves though.

I also really like the idea of Building Capture as a special. Dunno how it would work exactly but it sounds pretty fun. Maybe if their was a fund system set in place similar to how it works in Advance Wars Andy could buy units from a Base/Airport. I even had that idea at one point but the problem with that is it's very counter-intuitive to open a sub-menu in a match (blocking a lot of the screen) not to mention programming all those units in the game. I guess one could make it work somehow.

Just thinking about this really makes me want to see what Sakurai would do with an Andy moveset.

But there's always the rule of a character having to show personality in their games. The generic Infantry/Tanks don't fit this criteria whereas Andy does. Not to mention he would do so much more than the generic Infantry unit could do in Smash. That's why i'm more confident in Sakurai choosing Andy over the generic units as a playable character.

If it ever came down to that then I guess I would accept it. Anything to get Advance Wars on the playable roster.

BTW can I add you to the support list? Your name wasn't on there the last time I checked.
I actually don't know. Obviously what really sets AW aside from FE is the gameplay and that's where the fans will differ. but so much of the popularity and what pulls the AW games together comes from the characters and their charm.

I'd probably still be happy because the theme still sounds like a moveset I'd enjoy and it's some kind of rep/acknowledgement of the Wars series that could potentially boost it back into the spotlight, but I don't think it'd be anything close to the happiness I'd get from just about any CO, let alone Andy himself.
Exactly. It would be a bittersweet victory for sure. The series we wanted but not necessarily the character we wanted.
Finally beaten the first map of Orange Star without losing any troops. The CO Power is a useful tool, I just wish the power allowed all units to move at least one step farther. :p

I think I am slowly finding the real core fun of this game.
Funny that you mention "one step further" because that's exactly what Andy's CO Super Power does in AW2 and AWDS. His Super CO Power recovers him 5HP for all his units, increases his firepower, and gives him an extra space. Easily one of the most broken CO Super Power's in the game.

Glad to see you're enjoying the game. Once you really get the hang of it the game is a blast to play.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
But there's always the rule of a character having to show personality in their games. The generic Infantry/Tanks don't fit this criteria whereas Andy does. Not to mention he would do so much more than the generic Infantry unit could do in Smash. That's why i'm more confident in Sakurai choosing Andy over the generic units as a playable character.
Possibly. But remember he added things like R.O.B, Game & Watch, Villager and other things that aren't really distinct characters with personalities. But obviously Andy would be the superior choice but I'm just trying to predict what Sakurai might do, given the choice... a fools quest I know.

BTW can I add you to the support list? Your name wasn't on there the last time I checked.
Oh! I honestly forgot that was a thing. I just recently came back to Smash Boards and forgot about support lists. Haha! Sure thing.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Possibly. But remember he added things like R.O.B, Game & Watch, Villager and other things that aren't really distinct characters with personalities. But obviously Andy would be the superior choice but I'm just trying to predict what Sakurai might do, given the choice... a fools quest I know.

Oh! I honestly forgot that was a thing. I just recently came back to Smash Boards and forgot about support lists. Haha! Sure thing.
With Villager, he did have some personality from Animal Crossing. R.O.B/G&W are special exceptions given that they represent certain hardware from Nintendo's history. Infantry & Tanks don't exhibit any of that except maybe in the pre-Advance Wars games when they had unique, cutesy animations. Either way, Andy shows a lot more personality and character then the Infantry do. Lets hope Sakurai does the right thing lol.

Thanks for supporting! Welcome aboard to the Orange Star Army!

Last edited:

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
I highly doubt a "generic" rep would make much sense. The only reason it is called "Villager" is because that's much better than <Insert Name Here>. Seeing as the "Villager" is supposed to be the name chosen by the player in Animal Crossing and isn't given any sort of default name like Robin in Fire Emblem.

Not using Andy (or at least one of the many COs) is a wasted opportunity. Plus, who wouldn't want to see a moveset using wrenches? :laugh:

EDIT: I originally thought they would use Tom Nook for animal crossing because of the previously stated reasons regarding Animal Crossing.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Fanart of the Day features a fan-made moveset for Andy illustrated by Tumblr user Rlan. What do you guys think?

I mean a moveset like this would be fine and all (would gladly take this over the "Andy in a Tank" moveset some people have him doing) but the lack of having a tank special really hurts this moveset. It's like the bread and butter of AW. I also think Andy should be using his wrenches instead of rifles/bazooka's but either way is fine. Andy should at least integrate some wrench moves though.

I also really like the idea of Building Capture as a special. Dunno how it would work exactly but it sounds pretty fun. Maybe if their was a fund system set in place similar to how it works in Advance Wars Andy could buy units from a Base/Airport. I even had that idea at one point but the problem with that is it's very counter-intuitive to open a sub-menu in a match (blocking a lot of the screen) not to mention programming all those units in the game. I guess one could make it work somehow.

Just thinking about this really makes me want to see what Sakurai would do with an Andy moveset.
I think the moveset's alright. I agree that using wrenches over guns is ideal but the moveset is just utilising a few attacks to represent the infantry units.

I agree that missing tanks is bad and a tank special would make much more sense for the Side-B than the APC ability (especially with how unoriginal the APC Rush is in functionality).

The building capture is certainly an interesting concept that would be an incredible idea to implement. Maybe he just has more attack power the more buildings he has captured. Turns his playstyle into setting up an area of the stage to protect while forcing him to reach out away from it in order to actually fight.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Today's Fanart of the Day features more of our boy with the wrench. Coming to us from Tumblr user Rhunyc

Gotta love that signature grin from Andy. Fitting given that he's always ready for a fight and ready to take on whoever.
I think the moveset's alright. I agree that using wrenches over guns is ideal but the moveset is just utilising a few attacks to represent the infantry units.

I agree that missing tanks is bad and a tank special would make much more sense for the Side-B than the APC ability (especially with how unoriginal the APC Rush is in functionality).

The building capture is certainly an interesting concept that would be an incredible idea to implement. Maybe he just has more attack power the more buildings he has captured. Turns his playstyle into setting up an area of the stage to protect while forcing him to reach out away from it in order to actually fight.
Come to think of it, it does make sense for Andy to be using that. I looked back on the guy's Tumblr page and he said he would incorporate wrench attacks as Andy's Up and Down Smash which I think would be the perfect way to implement everything. The only thing I would change about the Specials in hindsight is the APC thing with the Tank special. An APC special is almost literally Wario's Bike lol.

I think Recon's and Anti-Air's can be incorporated in Andy's grabs somehow. Like for Andy's FThrow he uses a Recon that repeatedly hits his opponent until the Recon falls off stage. And for his BThrow he would use his A-Air's to shoot his opponent in to the sky.

Maybe Building Capture could be tied in with the CO Power Meter I mentioned? Like the more buildings Andy has on-stage the faster his CO Power Meter gets charged up? Or maybe he gets more powerful for every city he builds. It's a really fun concept.

As for the Final Smash, I actually want to see Andy get in a Megatank and just go trigger happy on all his foes. Either that or a full on Air Assault with Bombers and Fighters though that might cause some lag I think with how many units are on stage.
I highly doubt a "generic" rep would make much sense. The only reason it is called "Villager" is because that's much better than <Insert Name Here>. Seeing as the "Villager" is supposed to be the name chosen by the player in Animal Crossing and isn't given any sort of default name like Robin in Fire Emblem.

Not using Andy (or at least one of the many COs) is a wasted opportunity. Plus, who wouldn't want to see a moveset using wrenches? :laugh:

EDIT: I originally thought they would use Tom Nook for animal crossing because of the previously stated reasons regarding Animal Crossing.
Yeah, would be a huge wasted opportunity to have someone as generic as the Infantry & Tanks over Andy. Especially given what the latter is capable of bringing to Smash.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

If it ever came down to that then I guess I would accept it. Anything to get Advance Wars on the playable roster.

Exactly. It would be a bittersweet victory for sure. The series we wanted but not necessarily the character we wanted.

Funny that you mention "one step further" because that's exactly what Andy's CO Super Power does in AW2 and AWDS. His Super CO Power recovers him 5HP for all his units, increases his firepower, and gives him an extra space. Easily one of the most broken CO Super Power's in the game.

Glad to see you're enjoying the game. Once you really get the hang of it the game is a blast to play.
Can I just say that I love this moveset?

Even though it's a bit basic.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Today's Fanart of the Day once again features the mad scientist extraordinaire of the Black Hole Army, Lash. Coming to us from Deviantart user FlintofMother3

That look on her face basically screams "I'm going to use Prime Tactics and you're going to weep!". God that SCOP is so irritating. Especially in the AW2 Campaign where her units are near invincible in some areas due to the x2 terrain bonuses she gets.
Can I just say that I love this moveset?

Even though it's a bit basic.
I love the moveset as well. I would just change the APC Side Special he mentioned to a Tank one due to an APC being bland and I would give him more moves with his wrenches.

Come to think of it Andy could probably utilize a bunch of units in his grabs don't you think? What if he used an Anti-Air as his Up Throw to shoot his enemies upwards? Or even a Sub as his Down Throw that would shoot missiles through the ground?

I really need to revamp my Andy moveset. The amount of things I missed out on is plentiful. Ideally, I want to incorporate every possible unit I can in Andy's moveset.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Today's Fanart of the Day once again features the mad scientist extraordinaire of the Black Hole Army, Lash. Coming to us from Deviantart user FlintofMother3

That look on her face basically screams "I'm going to use Prime Tactics and you're going to weep!". God that SCOP is so irritating. Especially in the AW2 Campaign where her units are near invincible in some areas due to the x2 terrain bonuses she gets.

I love the moveset as well. I would just change the APC Side Special he mentioned to a Tank one due to an APC being bland and I would give him more moves with his wrenches.

Come to think of it Andy could probably utilize a bunch of units in his grabs don't you think? What if he used an Anti-Air as his Up Throw to shoot his enemies upwards? Or even a Sub as his Down Throw that would shoot missiles through the ground?

I really need to revamp my Andy moveset. The amount of things I missed out on is plentiful. Ideally, I want to incorporate every possible unit I can in Andy's moveset.
I wouldn't mind that. Him sending out uniques to grab someone would be a unique way of reflecting his CO status. Using the other vehicles as throws would definitely be funny. Good luck on the moveset revamp.

Also, nice Flack fanart

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I wouldn't mind that. Him sending out uniques to grab someone would be a unique way of reflecting his CO status. Using the other vehicles as throws would definitely be funny. Good luck on the moveset revamp.

Also, nice Flack fanart
Uhh Flak? Can't you see it's Lash dude? lol.

Yeah the way i'm thinking is that Andy should have just about every unit utilized in his moveset somehow. Maybe not all but a huge chunk of the units in the game.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Uhh Flak? Can't you see it's Lash dude? lol.

Yeah the way i'm thinking is that Andy should have just about every unit utilized in his moveset somehow. Maybe not all but a huge chunk of the units in the game.
Right. Kind of exhausted this night. Twas was a long walk. Still, Lash is a scientific cutie.

And having all of those units references would make him the ultimate references to the Wars series. Sure referencing the water vehicles will be harder because well, they need water to swim around. Best thing the could be is in a cutscene Final Smash for an all out assault from his whole army (soldiers and vehicles).

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I hate Eagle's Lightning Strike move, he puts me in tight corners, especially in Map 3 where in the top left corner, I have to stop just one infantry from producing more units. I was not able to achieve A Rank as a result. I am pretty salty, but at least I made it through with B-Rank.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Today's Fanart of the Day features the complexed anti-villain of Advance Wars, Hawke. Coming to us from Deviantart user AlejandroVillada

That pic is basically nightmare fuel. :laugh:

Hawke is one of the 4 Black Hole CO's introduced in Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising and is second in command only behind Sturm. Hawke I think is really unique from the other Black Hole CO's because his motives come down to him just wanting to test his power against his foes. It's interesting to see the contrast of all 4 CO's and their methods of taking over each nation.

Flak: Wants to crush Orange Star through brute force.
Lash: Wants to destroy Blue Moon through her wicked technological innovations.
Adder: Wants to decimate Yellow Comet through fear and intimidation (see Duty & Honor)
Hawke: Wants to test his power against the Green Earth CO's and take it over as a Black Hole nation.

Hawke is also directly responsible for
killing both major antagonists in the Wars World Trilogy; Sturm and Von Bolt in AW2/AWDS respectively.
making him something of an anti-villain. Of course Dual Strike sort of basterized this and he became more of a good guy though he still remains an enigmatic figure right towards the end of Dual Strike.

As for his prowess as a CO, Hawke is a powerful Commanding Officer and boasts a +10% firepower increase for all his units. This usually puts him at an advantage against most CO's in at least one area (whether it be land/sea/air units). His CO Power's, Black Wave and Black Storm deal 1/2HP damage to all his enemies units and heal him 1/2HP respectively. Which means he can severely hamper the momentum of his opponents advance by healing himself while damaging his foes. 1/2 HP doesn't sound like a lot yes but trust me, it can mean the world in very critical situations or trying to claim vital, strategic spots on a map. That being said though, it takes like forever for his CO Power Meter to charge up and Hawke gets hard countered by Andy very badly due to the latter's CO Power and CO Super Power rendering Hawke's CO Power's useless. By the time Hawke has Black Storm ready to go, Andy will have Hyper Upgrade ready 2X as fast. I do wish Hawke could either...

A) Have his Black Storm SCOP do 3HP Damage/Recovery instead of 2HP.
B) Have Black Storm charged up at like 7 stars instead of 10.
C) Have a +20% firepower bonus instead of +10%

Doing either one of those would make him a lot more menacing.
I hate Eagle's Lightning Strike move, he puts me in tight corners, especially in Map 3 where in the top left corner, I have to stop just one infantry from producing more units. I was not able to achieve A Rank as a result. I am pretty salty, but at least I made it through with B-Rank.
Yeah Eagle's Lightning Strike can be a real pain in the rear. Especially on the later maps of AW1's Campaign. The good thing about it is that Eagle's units have reduced firepower/defense when they strike twice meaning once his turn is over his units are easy pickings. :)

On that particular mission, a good idea is to bait all of Eagle's air units in to coming at you (or at least the fighters and whatnot) and then you can take them all out with your Missile and Anti-Air's. Once that's over, you can pretty much snipe Eagle's HQ and he'll be completely helpless to do anything.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Today's Fanart of the Day features the complexed anti-villain of Advance Wars, Hawke. Coming to us from Deviantart user AlejandroVillada

That pic is basically nightmare fuel. :laugh:

Hawke is one of the 4 Black Hole CO's introduced in Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising and is second in command only behind Sturm. Hawke I think is really unique from the other Black Hole CO's because his motives come down to him just wanting to test his power against his foes. It's interesting to see the contrast of all 4 CO's and their methods of taking over each nation.

Flak: Wants to crush Orange Star through brute force.
Lash: Wants to destroy Blue Moon through her wicked technological innovations.
Adder: Wants to decimate Yellow Comet through fear and intimidation (see Duty & Honor)
Hawke: Wants to test his power against the Green Earth CO's and take it over as a Black Hole nation.

Hawke is also directly responsible for
killing both major antagonists in the Wars World Trilogy; Sturm and Von Bolt in AW2/AWDS respectively.
making him something of an anti-villain. Of course Dual Strike sort of basterized this and he became more of a good guy though he still remains an enigmatic figure right towards the end of Dual Strike.

As for his prowess as a CO, Hawke is a powerful Commanding Officer and boasts a +10% firepower increase for all his units. This usually puts him at an advantage against most CO's in at least one area (whether it be land/sea/air units). His CO Power's, Black Wave and Black Storm deal 1/2HP damage to all his enemies units and heal him 1/2HP respectively. Which means he can severely hamper the momentum of his opponents advance by healing himself while damaging his foes. 1/2 HP doesn't sound like a lot yes but trust me, it can mean the world in very critical situations or trying to claim vital, strategic spots on a map. That being said though, it takes like forever for his CO Power Meter to charge up and Hawke gets hard countered by Andy very badly due to the latter's CO Power and CO Super Power rendering Hawke's CO Power's useless. By the time Hawke has Black Storm ready to go, Andy will have Hyper Upgrade ready 2X as fast. I do wish Hawke could either...

A) Have his Black Storm SCOP do 3HP Damage/Recovery instead of 2HP.
B) Have Black Storm charged up at like 7 stars instead of 10.
C) Have a +20% firepower bonus instead of +10%

Doing either one of those would make him a lot more menacing.

He looks like a JoJo character in that fanart. Creepy.

RosaPeach

Smash Journeyman

I always thought that Sami will be a better pick in smash but after seeing this Andy smash 5 fan made tumblr picture. You know what maybe Andy could be a very unique just similar to Bowser jr play style.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Today's Fanart of the Day? Plushie Jess :) Coming to us from Deviantart user DemonMads once again.

Why? Because there's no such thing as a shortage of Jess fanart. All hail the Pencil Missile of Doom! :awesome:

I know it's too late to bring this up but there's a way of skipping the Tutorial completely by just doing the last mission which kick starts you to the Campaign.

I mean some people are better off not doing that obviously (the ones who need to learn the fundamentals of the game) but otherwise it's a good way for veteran players to get right to the good stuff.

Now that you're finally at the Campaign things are going to get interesting. Keep in mind that certain decision you make will influence the CO's you get in the last mission. You can look that up and see the branching paths.

Speaking of which it's been a long time since I ran Advance Wars 1. I might give it a go soon.
Well, we don't have a mullet-wielding character yet.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Question: If I choose one path for the campaign, does it mean I will never get the chance to play the other path again? Or can I come back later. If I cannot, then I would rather take the hard path to challenge my strategy skills.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Quick time Fanart of the Day. Today's fanart features Andy...as an FE lord? :confused: From a post on r/FEH

Yep, this is the only way he gets in to Smash Bros. :b:
I always thought that Sami will be a better pick in smash but after seeing this Andy smash 5 fan made tumblr picture. You know what maybe Andy could be a very unique just similar to Bowser jr play style.
Nah Andy wouldn't be confined to his Tank the way Jr. is in his clown cart. His tank would only make up a small portion of his moveset and Andy would mostly fight on-foot; summoning and/or using AW units along with his wrenches. There's a few modifications I would make to that moveset the Tumblr guy did as I mentioned before.
Well, we don't have a mullet-wielding character yet.
Jess would actually make for a sweet Assist Trophy come to think of it lol.
Question: If I choose one path for the campaign, does it mean I will never get the chance to play the other path again? Or can I come back later. If I cannot, then I would rather take the hard path to challenge my strategy skills.
Yeah. It's kinda like Star Fox 64 in that aspect only you can't re-do missions after you do them. But very few of the missions have significant branching paths. Most of them only influence the 2 CO's you'll get in the last mission in the Campaign along with Andy. There's a few exceptions of course like unlocking the secret Grit mission, the 3 Sonja missions, and the bonus mission after the last mission (which is cheap as hell lol) but you'll go through most of the missions regardless of which path you choose. See a guide for all the ways you can do the Campaign.

Also there isn't necessarily a hard path though some missions are harder than others. i.e. Sami's missions in Green Earth are usually harder than the ones Andy and Max have. There is, however a Hard Campaign you unlock at successful completion of the Campaign once. You can buy that in the Battle Maps store.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: Posting Fanart of the Day here to avoid double posting. Today's fanart features Max and actually comes from a special fanblog designed specifically for Advance Wars. Done by Tumblr user piikeisandaa

Max looking jacked like usual. I wonder what his workout regimen looks like? :confused:

He can even bench a Snorlax for crying out loud! What can't this man do?

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Quick time Fanart of the Day. Today's fanart features Andy...as an FE lord? :confused: From a post on r/FEH

Yep, this is the only way he gets in to Smash Bros. :b:

Nah Andy wouldn't be confined to his Tank the way Jr. is in his clown cart. His tank would only make up a small portion of his moveset and Andy would mostly fight on-foot; summoning and/or using AW units along with his wrenches. There's a few modifications I would make to that moveset the Tumblr guy did as I mentioned before.

Jess would actually make for a sweet Assist Trophy come to think of it lol.

Yeah. It's kinda like Star Fox 64 in that aspect only you can't re-do missions after you do them. But very few of the missions have significant branching paths. Most of them only influence the 2 CO's you'll get in the last mission in the Campaign along with Andy. There's a few exceptions of course like unlocking the secret Grit mission, the 3 Sonja missions, and the bonus mission after the last mission (which is cheap as hell lol) but you'll go through most of the missions regardless of which path you choose. See a guide for all the ways you can do the Campaign.

Also there isn't necessarily a hard path though some missions are harder than others. i.e. Sami's missions in Green Earth are usually harder than the ones Andy and Max have. There is, however a Hard Campaign you unlock at successful completion of the Campaign once. You can buy that in the Battle Maps store.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: Posting Fanart of the Day here to avoid double posting. Today's fanart features Max and actually comes from a special fanblog designed specifically for Advance Wars. Done by Tumblr user piikeisandaa

Max looking jacked like usual. I wonder what his workout regimen looks like? :confused:

He can even bench a Snorlax for crying out loud! What can't this man do?
Max for Smash.

With a Snorlax throw as his Final Smash. But they will likely give him his CO Powers.

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
Max has more muscle mass than my entire body.

Down right terrifying.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It's time for Fanart of the Day. Today features all the CO's of AW1 (albeit Sturm) together. Done by Tumblr user klutzuxdoodles

Lol at Sami giving Eagle "the look" and Nell feeling super awkward. Kanbei is pissed because he's super protective of Sonja even amongst fellow allies (which Max finds hilarious for some reason lol), and Olaf forgot it was the day of the group photo and had to parachute his way only to barely make it in the background. Everyone else is super chill. :)

I actually had this pic as my avatar for a while. There's also a colored version of this pic somewhere on the web.
Max has more muscle mass than my entire body.

Down right terrifying.
Max' muscles on his arms are bigger than his entire head. Do you see how jacked he looked in Dual Strike? Clearly he's taking something he doesn't want people to know about. INB4 the next plot of AW focuses on Max' steroid abuse. :smirk:
Max for Smash.

With a Snorlax throw as his Final Smash. But they will likely give him his CO Powers.
Max Force in AW1 is already broken enough lol. Someone at Intelligent Systems was drunk when they tried to balance Max in that game.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
It's time for Fanart of the Day. Today features all the CO's of AW1 (albeit Sturm) together. Done by Tumblr user klutzuxdoodles

Lol at Sami giving Eagle "the look" and Nell feeling super awkward. Kanbei is pissed because he's super protective of Sonja even amongst fellow allies (which Max finds hilarious for some reason lol), and Olaf forgot it was the day of the group photo and had to parachute his way only to barely make it in the background. Everyone else is super chill. :)

I actually had this pic as my avatar for a while. There's also a colored version of this pic somewhere on the web.

Max' muscles on his arms are bigger than his entire head. Do you see how jacked he looked in Dual Strike? Clearly he's taking something he doesn't want people to know about. INB4 the next plot of AW focuses on Max' steroid abuse. :smirk:

Max Force in AW1 is already broken enough lol. Someone at Intelligent Systems was drunk when they tried to balance Max in that game.
That is some adorable fanart. Looks almost Hanna Barbera-esque, just needs more neck ties.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Today's Fanart of the Day actually features official concept art from the first Advance Wars game (particularly Infantry units). Done by Ryo Hirata, the guy who worked on Advance Wars via his Twitter account.

Uhh...the pic isn't showing for some dumb reason so i'm just going to leave a link to it for now.
https://s7.postimg.cc/619mfonff/Untitled.png

It's actually funny to see the Infantry units up close since all we see of them in Advance Wars is their chibi-style designs on the map. Here we can see the various different units from different nations like Yellow Comet's Recon unit, Orange Star's Tank, and Blue Moon's Md. Tank (I think?).
That is some adorable fanart. Looks almost Hanna Barbera-esque, just needs more neck ties.
It's actually funny now that you mention it.

Fire Emblem = The Flinstones
Advance Wars = The Jetsons

The former is more well known than it's sister series and takes place in older history.

Last edited:
Top Bottom