• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Oracle of Ages & Oracle of Seasons

Frown

poekmon

Anyone remember these? They weren't developed by Nintendo, yet they are two excellent games. I played through the games 3 times each in order to get all three mounts, and I also beat Ganon over 20 times just because it was such a good final battle.

I know the games aren't too popular, is there anybody else who has played them?

D

Deleted member

Nope. Never could get my hands on these two games, although I've heard good things.

hat!

Smash Apprentice
I remember these games!! :) I only had Oracle of Seasons so I never had a chance to fully enjoy the "Ultimate Adventure!" but Seasons was still such a great game.

Solaris1110

Smash Journeyman
These are my favorite 2d zelda games, I like them alot more than ALTTP.

The puzzles in this game were ingenious!. I absolutely loved how you could link both games together without any kind of annoying cord. The extra sidequests and the final fight against you know who, was amazing.
Yeah I cant count how many times I played this game.

I wish more games were made like this... The puzzles were enough to increase a kid's IQ.
None of this Phantom hourglass BS, where nintendo assumes everyone's an idiot, and gives us idiot puzzles.

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
Yeah, they were great. Ages was a great time travel adventure, and Seasons was a very interesting concept, both masterfully executed.

I liked how they borrowed music and graphics from Link's Awakening, one of the best Zelda games (in my opinion). It felt kind of like playing Majora's Mask, as that had borrowed so much from Ocarina of Time.

Yet in the end the two stood on their own, apart from other Zelda games, even ones they alluded to. They could've flourished individually had they not been released together, but they were and that made it even better.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I unfortunately never got to play Oracle of Seasons, but I played the hell out of Ages. One of my favorite games ever, period. Just like Ochobobo said above, I consider these the "2D Majora's Mask" to ALttP in that they take place in distant lands, house many of the same people as in Hyrule, sport new antagonists, and are based around very different and specific game mechanics (seasonal changing and time traveling).

I want to see remakes/rereleases of these soon somehow (I'm guessing DSiware would be the best bet).

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Those games were nothing short of incredible.
Definitely my favourite handheld Zeldas, and Ages gives LttP extremely tough competition for my favourite 2D Zelda. Either one of them two.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
The idea of these games has always appealed to me, but I have yet to get my hands on them. I really need to focus my efforts on getting one of them (well, preferably both, but one at a time) -- for people who have played both games, which one would you recommend more?

Frown

poekmon
The idea of these games has always appealed to me, but I have yet to get my hands on them. I really need to focus my efforts on getting one of them (well, preferably both, but one at a time) -- for people who have played both games, which one would you recommend more?
Seasons.

I don't know, I thought you had a lot more freedom in Holodrum (The Seasons world). Also, Ages had two landscapes, the past and the present, while Seasons had one for each season and one for hell. Or Subrosia like the inhabitants like to call it.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
I have a GBA and I was considering getting one of these. How much would they cost at a gaming retail store?

Scott!

Smash Lord
The common thought, and it's pretty true, is that Seasons is more action and Ages is more puzzles. Not that they lack the other, but the time-related puzzles are harder than the season ones, since you can't see what to do as easily. If you can't get both, I always preferred starting with Seasons, but either is great.

I had Seasons long before Ages, so I played the heck out of it. Ages I liked a lot as well, but never played it quite as much. It's funny though, the games were originally going to be quite different in nature. Seasons was supposed to be a remake of the first LoZ. I'd heard this and totally forgotten it when I finally went back to play the original, and there is a lot in common between the two maps, especially in the early areas. Think of the first dungeon's location in each, as well as the first few dungeons in general.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Oh my god, I loved these games. They were my first zelda games back when I was a kid.

I played the heck out of seasons until I got ages. I even went back and played them both a few days ago, and they still hold up.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Thanks for the advice, guys, Seasons sounds like the place I'll start. But I'll definitely get Ages eventually.

I have a GBA and I was considering getting one of these. How much would they cost at a gaming retail store?
I'll be honest, I would be surprised if you could find it at a retail store...but if you do, it probably wouldn't be more than $15.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Seasons was supposed to be a remake of the first LoZ. I'd heard this and totally forgotten it when I finally went back to play the original, and there is a lot in common between the two maps, especially in the early areas. Think of the first dungeon's location in each, as well as the first few dungeons in general.
Well, look at all the bosses. Most of them are taken straight from the first game and are fought in the same order if I remember correctly.

Blaziking17

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RobeezyLnP
3DS FC
1547-5531-6535
Well, look at all the bosses. Most of them are taken straight from the first game and are fought in the same order if I remember correctly.
1. Aquamentus
2. Dodongo
3. Mothula
4. Gohma
5. Digdogger
6. Manhandla
7. Gleeok
8. Medusa Head

Just the first two are in order from the original, and WTF with Medusa Head???? Totally random!! Just ruins the classic boss setup...!

Scott!

Smash Lord
^^This. It's awfully hard for a Zelda game to be underrated, but these two are probably the most underrated, especially considering how all console ones since ALttP tend to be overrated except OoT. OoT cannot be overrated. /rabid fanboy

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Easily the most underrated games...

These games kicked ***. I loved the Cane of Somalia and the way the animal friends were done. I seriously loved more or less everything about them, especially the password system. Unlike certain others (*coughGolden Suncough*) it's easy to use and record. I had both games, a real luxury. Playing them on my old GBA SP brings back so many memories...

On another note, has anyone ever gone shovel mad in these games? I dug up every space on every screen of one of the cities...I think it was Holodrum's village.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Did anyone else here accidentally beat the game with the wooden sword? or was it just me? All my friends laughed at me because apparently you can get the master sword in Oracle of Seasons.

Din = Hot

toon_marth

Smash Ace
I bought Oracle of Season> Ages. Should I have gotten Ages instead?

edit: 600th POST! Wow, the posts really fly by in this new Zelda room. In two months, I'll be smash master at this rate.

That's right, no custom title! :mad:

Scott!

Smash Lord
Haha, yeah, I got like 60+ posts in the first like 3 days of the new room. Probably 100 in the last week.

But on topic, you shouldn't have gotten Ages instead. You should have gotten Ages as well. They're best together, and Ages is at least as good as Seasons, possibly better. It's close, but I'd give it to Ages because of its harder puzzles.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I liked Seasons the most. It's funny, believe it or not, I beat the 6th dungeon before the 5th. I could cry so hard because I lost my gameboy case with like 97% of my games. I gave up looking for it. I think it's at a friend's house who lives far away from me -_-

Bomber7

Smash Hero
OoS was my first Zelda game. I thought Zelda was a cool guys name. At the time it made since that a hero of the game would be the legend and the legend would be of Zelda who would be the male protagonist. Turns out later I found out Zelda was Link. >>

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I still think that Zelda would be a cool guy name, taking into account of ignorance of who Zelda really is.

Scott!

Smash Lord
I can't think of Zelda as anything but a female name, and not just because of the games. There's also the source for Zelda's name, Zelda Fitzgerald, F. Scott's wife. That's who Miyamoto got the name from.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I think I bought OoS at a request from a friend who has a wide span of video game experience.

Wooden Sword ftw.

toon_marth

Smash Ace
Well it came in the mail today. They gave me OoA by accident and I don't feel like returning it waiting for the right game, so OoA it is! On the bright side, the first thing I dug up with the shovel was 100 rupees! Joy!

Mrs.BlackWaltzX

Smash Journeyman
My sister and I each received our own game when we were children. Where I got Oracle of Ages, and she Oracle of Season. Now it might be me, but I always found Oracle of Ages to be slightly better than Seasons, but that may be because I played it multiple times to the two tries with Seasons. No matter how many times my sister and I both completed our games, we never tried to do the game together to defeat Ganon.

OoA and OoS were the first real Legend of Zelda games that I've ever played. After playing the game boy color, I finally got to play OoT. So those two games are what started my Zelda obsession. And I couldn't be more thankful. It's been a pleasure going through the games.
--

I am curious though. They made a Legend of Zelda game for Din and Nayru, but what about Farore? Oh.. never mind. I just read the article saying that they were planning on making a third Oracle game for her, but then thought otherwise because it would be 'too complex' to link three games together.

I wish she had more of a part than just being Oracle of Secrets in the two games. Ah well.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Beat both and fought the mindless Ganon, yet only owned Seasons (borrowed Ages). I played through Seasons so much when I was in middle school, but first played my friends Ages.

Remember the tree that had the hots for Link?

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
Anyone remember the boss in one of these games that had a sword that could cut through anything and a shield that couldn't be broken by anything? (they were basically that powerful, though I don't think the game ever gave them those descriptions)

Anyway you beat him by making him destroy his shield with his sword. It was quite a memorable experience, I just can't remember what dungeon of which game he's in, or what his name is. lolol

Anyone know?

abhishekh

Smash Journeyman
Holy sh-

Orcale Of Seasons was my first Zelda game ever, started playing it when I was around 4, I ended up finishing when I was 8 years old, I didn't use a walkthrough though, and couldn't read till around 5/6 ;-;
I also stopped playing it for a year because I couldn't get past the first bit lmao.

But still, it was an epic game.

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
Both of these games were a lot of fun. I can't imagine how many times I've played through them. The secrets kinda got a little annoying, but if you used them, you became overpowered and made the game ridiculous. I was really disappointed by the Ganon fight, but it was still pretty cool. I think the boss fight at the end of Seasons was just epic.

Oh, and whoever said they completed the game with the Wooden Sword, you actually get the Noble Sword in the game(unless you use secrets, in which case you can get the Master Sword(Lv3 sword))

Top Bottom