• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Options against shielded enemy

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
Kind of a simple question but having an idea as to what to do in every situation may help me during a set. To start, I have been practicing against psycho 20XX bots and wait for them to shield (I don't have friends). The reason is because I noticed that they will not do anything unless you do something they can react to or until their shield is right about to pop.

I have been abusing this mechanic to practice shield pressure and my safe options, but everything I do gets super punished. I try to perfectly space a bair and float away, but Ganondorf jumps out of shield and bairs me. What should I do as a Puff against a shield? I know smash attacks are a no-go, rest is not an option at all and the setup to shield poke with up-tilt is tough to pull off quickly.

Last edited:

Xenoraven

Smash Rookie
Tomahawk grabs do wonders against real people, but not computers. AC nair-->grab/shield is also not bad. But spaced bairs should be the safest and most common shield pressure you do. One small mixup you can do is to do the bair early to hit high on shield and autocancel or SHFFL late to hit low on shield. Those CPUs have a weird mix of frame-perfectness and suboptimal punishes along with no ability to adapt or be conditioned to their opponents that makes them bad for puff practice, since she relies so heavily on conditioning and mental play rather than tech skill. If you must use them, set them to spam certain OoS options (there's tutorial somewhere) and then work off those.

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
Learning hit/hurtboxes can be super useful to know when your opponents shield becomes small enough in one spot that bair/nair would poke them easily.

Top Bottom