• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Option Select Situations

XLAX_OVERDOSAGE

Smash Apprentice
I'd just like to brainstorm some ideas to make ganon be able to cover more options in general.

some of them would be:

-During your up-B recovery, pressing R on reaction after getting hit to walltech
-While shielding on a platform, shield drop to uair

Poccoishere

Smash Cadet
Sadly, Melee doesn't have an option select. Moves don't buffer as they do in say Smash 4 or other normal fighting games. Option select implies that on whiff you are safe and on connect you are in an amazing situation.

K1KK0M4N

Smash Rookie
Melee has plenty of option selects. Pressing R as you approach the ledge, as OP mentioned is a very basic example.

There are countless of option selects.

Poccoishere

Smash Cadet
Melee has plenty of option selects. Pressing R as you approach the ledge, as OP mentioned is a very basic example.

There are countless of option selects.
"Option Select refers to combinations of buttons that will result in a different action depending on what the other player is doing. One example is crouching and pressing light kick and light punch, which would perform a throw if you were standing. If the other player tries to throw you while doing this then you will tech the throw but otherwise you will perform a crouching light kick. I don't really know of any other examples or if it is used outside of SF4 but I think it could be.

Hit Confirm is a pretty common fighting game term and relates to combo's where you have time to confirm that you have hit someone with the first attack before continuing with the combo or stopping if it is blocked/misses. This is kind of the opposite to moves which can be cancelled where you will pretty much have to instantaneously perform the next move in the combo for it to work." via Stackexchange

Melee lacks this ability because of how the mechanics of the game operate. Melee relies completely on Hit Confirmation not on option selects. There are no option selects because moves do not buffer; if they can not be used during input the input is discarded. Unlike in Smash 4 where moves can be buffered in shield and within specials.

XLAX_OVERDOSAGE

Smash Apprentice
There is some buffering in melee, such as buffer rolling with the c-stick out of shield while being hit,as opposed to the analog.

My example of teching the wall during recovery fits your description of what an option select is. Teching the wall will depend on whether the opponent will hit you or not(along other exceptions).

I will agree that option select isn't as intricate in melee, but some of it definitively is in the game.

Poccoishere

Smash Cadet

XLAX_OVERDOSAGE

Smash Apprentice
Wall teching and aerials out of shielddrop are extremely useful considering ganon's limitations in the current meta.

While they are situational, the occurence of these aren't rare given ganon's lack of options under the ledge or options to cover shield drop.

Not to mention you just contradicted yourself.

Poccoishere

Smash Cadet
Wall teching and aerials out of shielddrop are extremely useful considering ganon's limitations in the current meta.

While they are situational, the occurence of these aren't rare given ganon's lack of options under the ledge or options to cover shield drop.

Not to mention you just contradicted yourself.
The sent links are true Option Selects. I miss read your op and read the wall tech as simply buffering a tech during a tech chase. I apologize for that.

K1KK0M4N

Smash Rookie
I use an option select as Falcon when punishing get up/get up attack. As soon as I see them doing "in place" and before I can distinguish between a normal get up and a get up attack, I simply press R and immediately A. If they got up normally I grab them, and if they do get up attack, I powershield it, and the grab doesn't come out because of shieldstun, but I'm ready to punish with whatever I want.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Top Bottom