• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Optimizing on grabs midstage

Sharkz

Smash Ace
NNID
Sharkz1
Most opponents that know the IC matchup can easily sdi out of regrab attempts off of a grab midstage, such as dthrow>dair, dthrow>squall, etc. When I play with my practice partners I can never really get regrabs, and I saw the same thing happening to Phresh at PMS. Instead of getting the opponent to the edge, we may have to compromise by getting as much damage as possible per grab. I'm tired of getting basically nothing off if a midstage grab when the opponent is at low %.

I was wondering what y'all like to do to get as much % on them as you can. I feel like dthrow>Nana regrab >uthrow> follow-up with ??? will be the thing we should explore the most, but there are probably an infinite amount of tricks to try.

Psi Sig

Smash Journeyman
I like using footstool on unsuspecting foes, buffering an ice block will keep nana from going too far away. a missed tech leads to a jab reset and a regrab, or it can lead to a tech chase. we can even regrab off certain characters. this in conjuction with dthrow>dair, dthrow>squall provide tons of different mix-ups. I also found that if someone is DI-ing back throw away you can jump ice block with nana and either reset them or catch there landing for a wavedash grab or f-tilt.
and out of d-throw, re-grab, nana u-throw, I like b-air not sure why but it feels nice

Last edited:

Phresh123

Smash Apprentice
I can't footstall at all with them but what I try and do is the d-throw regrab u-throw bair but may start using the u-air too. Sometimes i'd just charge my f-smash or u-smash depending on the stage.

Seems like many people are catching onto the dair and squall regrabs.. I'm gonna lab with Up-airs today.

What I been practicing lately is having Nana get grabs off the desync. You can send her flying out as bait, and mid stage of course she u-throw's. This can lead to chains obviously and the best part is it's Nana as bait. They hit Nana you can run in with Popo for a grab or just punish accordingly.

Also thinking about how desynced up-Airs would work... Eh better when they're synced, but desync down air's maybe can lead into some combos. I seen someone post about it before.

Damp

Smash Apprentice
Midstage grabs are really hard to get anything out of. I've been messing around with some stuff to try to get Popo in the air after the handoff as quick as possible. So if you midstage handoff to Nana, then hold shield and up on c-stick, Popo will start jumping on the second possible frame. This allows a dair on some characters, but you have to make sure Nana has completely released them. There doesn't seem to be anything guaranteed out of that, but at least it's another mixup to use midstage.

FirewaterDM

Smash Apprentice
From what I've seen you can get U-Airs pretty consistently unless they have some....rather ridiculous DI, sometimes you can Nair, but other than those options, seems most followups are totally dependent on the other player just DI'ing into them (Bair, Fair (though I haven't tested this much), Up-B comes to mind), If you're quick enough you might get a regrab if they land on a platform above Nana when she Up throws, but i'm also not confident on that as well.

Top Bottom