• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Optimized ftilt usage and combos

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
Before we talk about combos (and there are a bunch), lets talk about getting a light ftilt in neutral.
Ill refer to light f tilt as SMK just because its cooler.

SMK is not Ryu's longest range normal. H dtilt is faster, longer ranged and Special cancelable, so in most cases, its best to go for H dtilt. Down smash also out ranges it, and is super quick. SMK's only real advantage in neutral is it's ability to beat hitboxes when spaced correctly. During the ftilt Ryu's foot is intangible, giving it some niche uses. For example you can beat All of shiek's aerials when spaced correctly.

If you want to combo in SMK, you can do so with falling nair, bair and soft fair along with focus and jab locks.

Combos

Everything tested vs sheik on fresh damage

Raw frame advantage
0%-9 frames
10%-10 frames
20%-12 frames
30%- 13 frames

Landing bonus lag
After a hit at some percentages, the opponent will land before they can act, which gives ryu an extra two frames to connect with whatever he wants due to soft landing lag.
0 frames for sourspot at 0 ( ryu hits the ground early)
2 frames for sweetspot at 0
2 frames for sourspot at 10

Aerial bonus lag
Sheik will never be able to avoid damage on her first actionable frame after the SMK, so +1 for ryu.

Sweet and sour spots
SMK has two hits, a leg and foot hit. The foot hit sends the opponent in a much more verticle angle than the sour spot, 72 as opposed to 55.

Skid cancel ftilt (hip check)
Will always be sour spot but leaves the opponent much closer to ryu.

follow up opportunities
--True combos
----No di
------0%
(hip check)-> H tatsu (19.92%)
(hip check)-> H jab (15.8%)
(hip check)-> H dtilt->H Red fireball (21.8%)
(hip check)-> H dtilt->H Tatsu (27.72%)
(hip check)-> Dash attack (late)-> L DP (22.8%)
(hip check)-> Dash attack (18.8%)
(hip check)-> Pivot buffered turnaround up tilt (inescapable, but is not counted by training mode counter)
(sweetspot) -> dash grab (if they do not di away after the grab you can get pummel-> dthrow-> H utilt-> H DP for 38% total)
(sweetspot)-> down smash (22.8%)
(sweetspot)-> dash attack
(sweetspot)-> dash attack (late)
(sourspot)-> walk forward downsmash (22.8%)
-------10%
(sourspot)-> walk forward downsmash (21.8%) (cant get the 16% hitbox of downsmash to hit)
(hip check)-> dash attack (late)-> L DP (22.8%)
(hip check)-> dash attack (22.8%)
(hip check)-> H dtilt-> H Tatsu (27.72%)
(hip check)-> H dtilt-> H Red fireball (21.8%)
(hip check)-> down smash (22.8%)
(hip check)-> nair (14.8%)
(hip check)-> pivot buffered turnaround up tilt-> unplug your controller dog, unplug your controller
(sweetspot)-> dash attack
(sweetspot)-> dash attack (late)
(sweetspot) -> dash grab (inescapable but not counted by the training room combo counter)
-------20%
(hip check)-> Nair (14.8%)
(hip check)-> pivot buffered turnaround up tilt
(hip check)-> walk forward ftilt-> pivot back air
(hip check)-> footstool-> b&b
(sweetspot)-> Full hop instant fair (21.8%)
------30%
(hip check)-> Nair (14.8%)
(hip check)-> Full hop instant dair (inescapable, but is not counted by training mode counter)
(hip check)-> walk forward ftilt
(hip check)-> walk forward heavy up tilt
(hip check)-> footstool-> b&b
(sweetspot)-> Full hop instant fair
(sweetspot)-> Full hop instant dair (inescapable, but is not counted by training mode counter)
------40%
(hip check)-> Fh fair
(hip check)-> Fh dair
(sweetspot)-> Pivot Back air (22.8%)
(sweetspot)-> Full hop fair
(sweetspot)-> Full hop dair
(sweetspot)-> Full hop up air
------50%
(sweetspot)-> Full hop up air (inescapable, but is not counted by training mode counter)
----DI away
------0%
(hip check)-> H tatsu (19.92%)
(hip check)-> Dash attack (late)-> L DP (22.8%)
(hip check)-> Dash attack (18.8%)
(sweetspot) -> dash grab (if they do not di away after the grab you can get pummel-> dthrow-> H utilt-> H DP for 38% total)
(sweetspot)-> walk forward downsmash (22.8%)
------10%
(sourspot)-> walk forward downsmash (21.8%) (cant get the 16% hitbox of downsmash to hit)
------20%
------30%
------40%

At 20 percent SMK puts opponents into tumble so you can do tech trap stuff.

You can read and kill the opponent for mashing attack or airdodge but Ryu's only real answer for jump is DP or rising H Tatsu.

Sample death combo
(24%)
(hip check)-> Fh nair-> Falling nair (Opponent cant shield in time)-> Pivot Fh nair-> Sour fair->b&b
This is the earliest that nair can convert into anything after an f tilt. normally this would be 32 percent and not 30 but because shiek is a little higher up she impacts the ground later and gives us the window we need.

There are definetly more combos and options but im a busy guy. This is a pretty good indicator of what you can get though. Ill try to keep the thread updated as more are found.

Last edited:

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
Good testing man! Though I don't see any FH Nair or Dair conversions?

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
Good testing man! Though I don't see any FH Nair or Dair conversions?
Unfortunately on no di They are always too far for nair. There looks like there are going to be some nair conversions for the 20 percent range on di in on fox and falco, but im not sure.

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
Unfortunately on no di They are always too far for nair. There looks like there are going to be some nair conversions for the 20 percent range on di in on fox and falco, but im not sure.
Really? That doesn't sound right. I'm talking about hip check ftilt.... I've totally gotten guaranteed conversions into nair and dair off of that

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
Really? That doesn't sound right. I'm talking about hip check ftilt.... I've totally gotten guaranteed conversions into nair and dair off of that
Well i have to go in and test the pivot tilt conversions anyway so ill try again. When i tried earlier, even with the hip check, they were too far for nair. I didnt test dair.

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
Well i have to go in and test the pivot tilt conversions anyway so ill try again. When i tried earlier, even with the hip check, they were too far for nair. I didnt test dair.
I've tested both before so please double check. With no DI, I got nair and dair

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
I've tested both before so please double check. With no DI, I got nair and dair
Sure enough your right. 20% shiek no di nair works after hip check. The spacing is tight though. Ill update the first post along with the rest of this stuff.

Top Bottom