• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Optimal Flip Jump usage

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
I decided to make this thread because I feel like I am seeing A LOT of Zero suits excessively use flip jump for a variety of situations/ reasons( I feel like a big perpetrator for this as well).
Obviously can't speak for Choco/Nairo , however for the rest of us trying to get better I think we need to break this down a little bit.

A list of some of the scenarios where I see flip jump used.

1. low % combo breaker for some of those ridiculous low % combos that most of the cast have to eat fully *cough Rob*
2. Trying to use the invincibility to get through attacks when trapped on ledge.
3. OoS which seems legit in some cases where your expecting a grab or a shield breaker :Example Marth/ Lucina
4. When you hit someone kind of awkwardly and need a quick shift of momentum to chase them.

Think if we can abuse it we need look at what characters can't do anything it :Example characters who are to slow being unable to catch you especially if your faster then them in the air.

something to figure out is what her airspeed is when she is flip jumping to we can figure out how what characters can't punish you as hard or even at all for certain situations.

Everyone feel free to reference or talk about anything relevant.

Last edited:

Gemba Board

Smash Apprentice
I went to SoCal Chronicals this past weekend and used zss the whole time. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think ff nair > flip jump kick is a punish on all shield grabs. Nair is like -1 frame advantage on shield release cancel or something crazy like that. So if they try to shield grab a ff nair, and you buffer flip jump, zss is long gone. No one's grabbing that. I think from here, if you kick immediately, you get them in the back of the head. Shouldn't work on really short characters like pichu/pikachu because for the kick to become active as soon as possible, it happens at the apex of the jump and thus too high. Requires testing.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Th
I went to SoCal Chronicals this past weekend and used zss the whole time. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think ff nair > flip jump kick is a punish on all shield grabs. Nair is like -1 frame advantage on shield release cancel or something crazy like that. So if they try to shield grab a ff nair, and you buffer flip jump, zss is long gone. No one's grabbing that. I think from here, if you kick immediately, you get them in the back of the head. Shouldn't work on really short characters like pichu/pikachu because for the kick to become active as soon as possible, it happens at the apex of the jump and thus too high. Requires testing.
That's pretty interesting I usually only do that do flip jump away for a reset.

To many character still have busted low and mid% combos.

Top Bottom