• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Opponent specific edge guarding tips

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
Need help with these if possible or confirmation that it's not worth it to even try.

Zelda - Up special teleports with good range making off stage edge guarding almost impossible, landing damage seemingly allows for a free landing onstage every time with little chance to punish.
Palutena - Silly good range on the teleport and can mix things up with her counter.
Ike - Commonly regarded as having bad recovery, but I find that good Ike players are really dangerous to edge guard against. Mess up the timing even slightly and you're getting punished hard by Ike's side special, or if Ike is up a stock they might just kamikaze you with Aether.

Last edited:

Nagol

Smash Cadet
NNID
NagolNLR
3DS FC
1693-3794-6353
For teleporters I usually try to make it seem safe to tp on stage. This is something that changes game to game but usually I commit once or twice to going off stage to edge guard. I usually won't land it but it makes them go for the up B more quickly and that's what I want. Next step I usually jump and then fast fall back to stage or air dodge back hoping to make them Up B early. This is good just to force your opponent to either be cautious to go on stage or make them want to snap ledge if at all possible. If they go to ledge you can try ledge trumping them or just waiting for there get up option.

Zelda: If she is coming at you try not to be dashing and either shield/parry it or go for a counter. She will put you in some shield stun if you don't parry it so don't go for grabs right out of shield. You can also try spot dodging if you know the timing but I wouldn't recommend it.

Palutena: Her tp is less safe but faster so your advantage is faking her out and making her tp to unsafe locations.

IKE: Shielding Ike's side special usually leads to an easy grab confirm if you are fast on it. If you do it close to ledge than he will be even closer to you which makes the follow up even easier. If he is going across stage up high you can try to meet him in the middle and then hit him during the end of the animation or behind him when he goes past to keep him going in that direction. You can challenge side B in the air with counter but really it's not a safe option so you might as well not.

sometimes the best edge guard is to just not edge guard but instead wait for them to option and then punish that option. Chase them and when you could hit them or if you are getting close just start peeling back to avoid getting close and seeing how they react.

Top Bottom