• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Opinions on EarthBound/Mother and Their Representation in Smash

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
There's a series that I don't hear much talk about in the Smash community. Ness and Lucas are brought up, but never really their actual home series: EarthBound, or Mother in Japan.

Credit to artist

"When I made (Mother) 3, I thought I could do it, so I did it, (but 4 is) totally impossible. Among big-time popstars, if they, you know, put out ten albums, around the fourth album, they can't make very good songs. The albums sell, but everyone at the concerts wants to hear songs from those first three albums. Everyone. I'm glad that video games are not my profession... if it was my job, I would've already made 4 and 5." - Shigesato Itoi, creator of EarthBound/Mother

What I find amazing is that Sakurai pumped so much life into a finished series. The EarthBound series only has 3 games, 2 released outside of Japan, and does not have any foreseeable future whatsoever. The creator is not on board with a Mother 4, and Nintendo doesn't seem to have any interest either since there hasn't been a new game in the series since 2006. But what makes EarthBound live on are its dedicated fans and Smash Bros. Thank you, Sakurai, for representing a dead series so much and giving it a lot of love!

What the Hell Even is this Series?

For those unaware, EarthBound is a trilogy of turn-based RPGs starring boys in striped shirts. The games are EarthBound Beginnings (Mother), EarthBound (Mother 2, starring Ness) and Mother 3 (starring Lucas). Each game is vastly different from each other, and even the RPG formula that this series uses is completely different from other RPGs. Everything about EarthBound is just plain ol' unique. Even the series' humor is unique. While it does have its darker moments, mostly in Mother 3 (R.I.P Hinawa, Lucas' mother), the series doesn't tend to take itself too seriously and offers many funny lines from NPCs and a colorful cast of super weird, odd, quirky characters.

Let me give some examples of how this franchise is different from others. When you think RPG, what comes to your mind? A fantasy world? How about contemporary America:

What kinds of weapons do RPG characters use? Swords? Shields? Why not baseball bats, fry pans, and yo-yos?

The point is, EarthBound is a completely unique series with its own style that has never been replicated since. It's refreshing to play in a world that is very similar to ours. Walking through cities, deserts, winter wonderlands, etc. Although EarthBound is obviously a quirky fiction game, it's grounded in reality which offers a fresh and compelling experience.

The Stars of the Show

Three games, three boys in striped shirts. We got Ninten, Ness, and Lucas. But they're not alone. They are each accompanied by a small party, and most of them (including each of the main boys) use a type of magic called PSI/PK. So whenever you hear "PK Fire!" in Smash and get caught in Ness' annoying trap, that's a move from this series.

Untitled.png

Representation in Smash Bros.

Super Smash Bros. (N64)

EarthBound has been represented in Smash Bros since the very beginning, with Ness appearing on N64's title as one of the original 12. Ninten was the first EarthBound protagonist, but EarthBound Beginnings was not an international release at the time and EarthBound was, so it makes sense as to why Ness was chosen. His victory theme consists of the last notes of the Eight Melodies from EarthBound. Many of Ness' move reference EarthBound such as his PSI abilities (which are actually stolen from his party members), his baseball bat, and his yo-yo.

Super Smash Bros. Melee

During the development of Melee, Mother 3 was on the rise as a developing title. Sakurai was ready to cut Ness and replace him with Lucas, but due to Mother 3's multiple delays, Ness stayed and Lucas never showed up. Melee introduced a lot of new EarthBound content, such as two new stages (Onett & Fourside from EarthBound) and multiple music tracks. Thanks to Melee's introduction of neutral specials, Ness also received his move PK Flash.

The game also featured multiple trophies (besides 3 for Ness):
  • Paula Polestar (EarthBound) - "Paula is a PSI master who used her incredible psychic abilities to call Ness from afar. Ness rescued Paula from the blue-stained clutches of the Happy Happyist cult, and she became integral to his EarthBound adventure. Originally, Ness didn't know either PK Thunder or PK Fire, so Paula probably taught him these techniques."
  • Jeff Andonuts (EarthBound) - "Another of Ness's close friends in EarthBound, Jeff is the only son of the famous scientist, Dr. Andonuts. Jeff is a mechanical genius, able to turn common, broken tools into complex weapons like the Hungry HP-sucker and the Slime Generator. He's a bit on the shy side but incredibly intelligent and brave in the heat of battle."
  • Poo (EarthBound) - "Poo, the crown prince of the mysterious eastern country of Dalaam, joined Ness after completing rigorous training in his home country. While he doesn't stand out among Ness's friends, his vast experience and strong willpower make him a key to their success. Poo can assume the form of an enemy to gain its powers."
  • Starman (EarthBound) - "Just one kooky subset of the diverse cast of enemies in EarthBound, these strange creatures are aliens in the employ of Giygas. Variations of the Starman race include Starman, Starman Jr., Starman Deluxe, and Starman Super. They all use PSI powers, but their strength differs depending on the level on which they're found."
  • Mr. Saturn (EarthBound) - "The origins of the Mr. Saturn race are unknown, but many believe they came from outer space. They reside in Saturn Valley and speak their own unique language. In Super Smash Bros. Melee, Mr. Saturn is just another item with which to pelt foes. These guys are laid back and not into fighting, so you can rest easy... or can you?"
  • UFO (EarthBound) - "At the beginning of EarthBound, this flying saucer appears along with the ominous message, 'The War Against Giygas!' Adding to the mystery are three more UFOs while fly amok in the skies over Onett; how all of these alien craft are connected is anyone's guess. In Super Smash Bros. Melee, this slippery UFO appears on the Fourside level.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

With Mother 3 releasing for the GBA in 2006 and Smash Bros. Brawl releasing in 2008, Lucas was able to sneak in an appearance as a playable character without Ness being cut! While the Fourside stage was cut, a new stage (New Pork City) from Mother 3 was put in its place, along with a bunch of stickers, trophies, and new music tracks. Even the King Porky Statue, and Porky himself (Ness' old neighbor turned evil) makes an appearance in the Subspace Emissary as bosses. Ness and Lucas' victory themes are now a sped up version of the final notes of the Eight Melodies from EarthBound Beginnings. Ness and Lucas also use PK Starstorm as their Final Smash, deadly attacks from EarthBound and Mother 3. One final thing, the Franklin Badge that appears across all 3 EarthBound games makes its debut in Brawl as an item, reflecting projectiles just like in its original appearances.

Assist Trophies:

Stickers:
  • Ana (EarthBound Beginnings)
  • Boney (Mother 3)
  • Claus (Mother 3)
  • Devil Car (EarthBound Beginnings)
  • Duster (Mother 3)
  • Flint (Mother 3)
  • Hinawa (Mother 3)
  • Jeff (EarthBound)
  • Kumatora (Mother 3)
  • Little Saucer (EarthBound Beginnings)
  • Lloyd (EarthBound Beginnings)
  • Lucas (Mother 3)
  • Mad Truck (EarthBound Beginnings)
  • Master Belch (EarthBound)
  • Mr. Saturn (EarthBound)
  • Mr. Saturn (Mother 3)
  • Ness (EarthBound)
  • New Age Retro Hippie (EarthBound Beginnings)
  • Ninten (EarthBound Beginnings)
  • Paula (EarthBound)
  • Pigmask (Mother 3)
  • Poo (EarthBound)
  • Porky (EarthBound)
  • Salsa (Mother 3)
  • Starman (EarthBound)
  • Teddy (EarthBound Beginnings)
New Trophies (besides 2 for Ness and Lucas):
  • Franklin Badge (all 3 games): "A badge you can put on to gain the ability to reflect all projectiles. It has exactly the same affect as other reflectors in the game, like the one Fox uses. In EarthBound, it was used to counter Thunder attacks. The lightning bolt on the badge is proof of its capacity. Its importance and usefulness made a deep impression on players."
  • Porky (EarthBound/Mother 3): "A self-centered, rotten brat who lives next door to Ness. As the events of the game progress, he's rapidly led astray and becomes Giygas's right-hand man. Afterward, he goes missing in time and then reappears in the Nowhere Islands of Mother 3. He leads the Pig Mask Army invasion but is eventually defeated by Lucas and friends."
  • Porky Statue (Mother 3): "A guardian statue standing inside New Pork City that's clearly based on Porky himself. Investigate it, and the statue will turn hostile and start a battle. And it has 100,000,000 HP! It has very high stats, so you'll never win if you attack it straight-on. Thankfully, there's an item called 'New Year's Eve' that can reduce its HP to 1—then you can defeat it with ease."
Bonuses: Lucas' neutral special utilizes PK Freeze, and the Ultimate Chimera enemy from Mother 3 makes a horrifying appearance on the New Pork City stage, instantly KOing players just like in his original appearance.

Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS

Once again, this game expands upon EarthBound content in Smash Bros. More music tracks, another new stage (Magicant from EarthBound Beginnings) replacing New Pork City, new enemies in Smash Run, and alternate costumes that contain multiple references.

smash.PNG

snip.PNG

boney.PNG

dragg.PNG

The Flying Man from EarthBound even makes an appearance as a stage hazard on the Magicant stage, along with Dungeon Man, Pencil Octopus, and more!

New Assist Trophies:

Smash Run Enemies:

New Trophies (besides ones for Ness & Lucas):
  • Flying Man (EarthBound): "The Flying Men are a team of five birdmen. Each time a Flying Man appears, he'll help the first person to reach him with Flying Cross Chops and Somersault Kicks. A small memorial stone will be erected for each one defeated. Once all five are gone, they're done fighting forever until the next battle."
  • Magicant (EarthBound Beginnings): "A magical world in Mother and EarthBound, brought to life by the memories of certain characters. In this game, Magicant is a cloud stage where giant tomatoes, metal octopuses and the Sky Runner can appear at any moment. Dungeon Man might even show his face too, which, all in all, makes for a very unusual battlefield environment."
  • Sky Runner (EarthBound): "A flying machine designed by Dr. Andonuts, it is given to Jeff to travel to Threed. It promptly crash-lands, rendering it temporarily out of service. On the Magicant stage, it can sometimes be seen floating above the clouds before it suddenly zooms back into the sky."
  • Dungeon Man (EarthBound): "Thanks to Dr. Andonuts's genius, the dungeon creator Brickroad was able to become the first man-dungeon hybrid in history, complete with an ATM, pay phone, and hospital. He walks back and forth slowly in the Magicant stage, and his head can serve as a platform to ride on as you fight."
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

This game is the pinnacle of EarthBound content in Smash. All previous stages returning, Mr. Saturn and Franklin Badge as items, etc. This game has it all. Ness and Lucas' PSI attacks now properly match how they look from their perspective games, and their final smashes new include Paula and Poo, and Kumatora and Boney respectively. They also share a new victory theme whose origins are currently be debated. And, there's a new item: Ramblin' Evil Mushroom from EarthBound. Like in EarthBound, players hit with the Ramblin' Evil Mushroom's spores has their controls inverted and a mushroom place on their head.

tl.PNG

Known Spirits:
  • Dungeon Man (EarthBound)
  • Duster (Mother 3)
  • Eve (EarthBound Beginnings)
  • Hinawa (Mother 3)
  • Jeff (EarthBound)
  • Kumatora (Mother 3)
  • Ramblin' Evil Mushroom (EarthBound)
  • Salsa (Mother 3)
  • Ultimate Chimera (Mother 3)
Conslusion

For a series that is barely known, finished, and only has 3 games, EarthBound receives a lot of representation in Smash Bros. Even among Smash Bros franchises, EarthBound is still barely talked about. I wanted to create this thread as a place to discuss the series as well as its content in Smash. There's so much little references that Sakurai and his team sneak in, such as the constantly updated design of Ness' yo-yo, and did you know that Lucas' Smash 4 DLC trailer "Comes out of Nowhere" is actually a reference to his home the Nowhere Islands? I am hoping that this is the right place to make this thread, as I believe it is appropriate considering Ultimate is almost here! Time to show this series the love it deserves! Fuzzy Pickles!

Attachments

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Fantastic thread :)

Smash Bros. introduced me to EarthBound, and I have loved the series since. I'm happy it gets a lot of love in Smash.

-just wanted to point out: the victory theme in 3DS/Wii U and Brawl is the ending of Mother Earth from EarthBound Beginnings (the title theme), while Ultimate's victory theme is the last notes of EarthBound Beginnings' Eight Melodies.

goodspeed87

Smash Journeyman
When originally envisioning a second playable fighter for Smash, I so desperately wanted THE MASKED MAN! Lucas is great and I love how he differs from Ness but IMAGINE what could have been! I love the representation we have but I sure hope some other reality in our Multiverse has a Smash with a playable MM!

D0E43FB2-F4D9-4FEC-8885-86809A633D0C.jpeg

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Well, although I'm not a fan of Final Fantasy, I think it would be interesting if Nintendo asked Square Enix if they'd be interested in developing a Mother title. My own concern would be the impression fans got from the game. It wouldn't be a good thing if Mother 4 felt like Final Fantasy. I just think it would be interesting if Square Enix developed the next title because the company is well-known for developing good RPGs. Of course, there Intelligent Systems. It's a sad day when the creator of the series doesn't want to continue. On an unrelated note . . .

The Flash couldn't escape Zoom. What makes you think you can, Mr. Saturn?

HotelSoapy!

Smash Apprentice
Love these games. I think this franchise has potential if Nintendo was even interested in reviving it. They have let so many franchises and characters die though that there's probably no hope for it.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
The EarthBound games have great representation in Smash. You have the protagonists of the two best ones in the trilogy as playable characters, each displaying the youthfulness and powers of each of their main party members'. We have 4 stages, and honestly only 2 would have sufficed, but we got an extra EarthBound stage with Fourside and an amazing tribute to Magicant, the stage linking EarthBound Beginnings and its follow up together. The music selection is great, even if there aren't as many battle themes from the game as I'd like, but battling in the EarthBound games is never why people remember them anyway, it's the world, characters, and writing.

All I'd do is add Ninten as a Ness echo and Duster from Mother 3 as an Assist Trophy, but I consider both to be extras that don't feel like huge absences. As it is, EarthBound content in Smash is top-notch.

P.S. For anyone who wants to get it right, EarthBound is finished, not dead. There's a difference. I don't want EarthBound revived so much as I want Mother 3 to get an official worldwide release and for creators to let themselves get inspired by the games. It leads to great things like Undertale.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The EarthBound games have great representation in Smash. You have the protagonists of the two best ones in the trilogy as playable characters, each displaying the youthfulness and powers of each of their main party members'. We have 4 stages, and honestly only 2 would have sufficed, but we got an extra EarthBound stage with Fourside and an amazing tribute to Magicant, the stage linking EarthBound Beginnings and its follow up together. The music selection is great, even if there aren't as many battle themes from the game as I'd like, but battling in the EarthBound games is never why people remember them anyway, it's the world, characters, and writing.

All I'd do is add Ninten as a Ness echo and Duster from Mother 3 as an Assist Trophy, but I consider both to be extras that don't feel like huge absences. As it is, EarthBound content in Smash is top-notch.

P.S. For anyone who wants to get it right, EarthBound is finished, not dead. There's a difference. I don't want EarthBound revived so much as I want Mother 3 to get an official worldwide release and for creators to let themselves get inspired by the games. It leads to great things like Undertale.
Exactly. Mr. Itoi has told everything that needed to be told about Mother and finished it of his own volition, and Nintendo respects his wishes.

Otherwise, I agree with your points. I pretty much stopped pining for Masked Man, since that effort is best spent towards characters from other series instead anyway, so I won't be concerned with his absence.

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Smash got me interested in the series with the trophy descriptions in Melee. At the time EarthBound hasn't come to Europe yet.
It's now my favorite series of all time.

I'm so glad Smash pays such great homage to this quaint, concluded series.

Fil with an "f"

Smash Rookie
God I hop Ninten gets in. I've always loved how Ness and Lucas drew moves from other characters in their games, it always made them feel like a rep for their game more than a rep for their character specifically.
Really I just want another character in the style of Ness.

Even if Ninten gets in this probably won't happen but... Can you image a fighter that pays like Ness that can actually recover?

TheBeastHimself

God I hop Ninten gets in. I've always loved how Ness and Lucas drew moves from other characters in their games, it always made them feel like a rep for their game more than a rep for their character specifically.
Really I just want another character in the style of Ness.

Even if Ninten gets in this probably won't happen but... Can you image a fighter that pays like Ness that can actually recover?
I would love Ninten, but with no more echoes being developed as DLC characters I think his chances are pretty much gone, and that's sad. :( HOWEVER, Nintendo is also selecting the DLC characters, and EarthBound Beginnings (released in June 2015; a bit before Smash Ultimate development started) did amazingly on the Wii U virtual console, so Nintendo may pull from that, but I still have my doubts about that.

And EarthBound might not even need another rep, I mean look how much representation of the series is already there.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
The representation of Earthbound in Smash is very strong. If you were to ask me if it's the right amount? I'd have to say no honestly. There's more "important" franchises that still haven't received any love while Mother has boasted two unique playable characters and multiple stages.

Undoubtedly Advance Wars, Golden Sun, Custom Robo deserve it more.

TheBeastHimself

The representation of Earthbound in Smash is very strong. If you were to ask me if it's the right amount? I'd have to say no honestly. There's more "important" franchises that still haven't received any love while Mother has boasted two unique playable characters and multiple stages.

Undoubtedly Advance Wars, Golden Sun, Custom Robo deserve it more.
In my opinion, I don't believe that those franchises necessarily "deserve it more", they just have been under-represented. Because EarthBound is a dead franchise, I believe the amount of representation it has is adequate because it sort of serves as a tribute to a series that many love. However, if any of those series do get into Smash with a playable character, they should undoubtedly receive more content because none of them are 100% dead (at least to my knowledge?)

TheBeastHimself

The amount of representation Mother gets is great. My only nitpick is that some iconic songs are missing.
I'm personally pining for this to be in Smash

I made some adjustments to the original post. Thank you for reminding me of this!

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Thank you so much for this thread.

There are a total of 7 Earthbound/Mother newcomers I'm hoping for (ever).
Porky
Giygas
Masked Man
Pu (or Poo)
Paula
Kumatora
Ninten

DeadmanV2

Smash Rookie
Masked Man has been my most wanted character since Brawl. I don't expect Mother to ever get new reps and I'm fine with that, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't love it if they added him or Porky (preferably the Earthbound version since the Mother 3 one fits more as a boss imo) as playable characters.

Beyond that, there's a lot of fantastic music that still hasn't been touched by Smash. I unsurprisingly want Strong One (Masked Man), but also the Natural Killer Cyborg, Fate (or Serious), Sanctuary Guardian, and the final Runaway Five performance are just a few songs I'd love to hear in Smash.

Blue Rose

Smash Rookie
I think Earthbound is represented well as it is right now but Ninten would be great as an echo.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
There's a series that I don't hear much talk about in the Smash community. Ness and Lucas are brought up, but never really their actual home series: EarthBound, or Mother in Japan.

Credit to artist

"When I made (Mother) 3, I thought I could do it, so I did it, (but 4 is) totally impossible. Among big-time popstars, if they, you know, put out ten albums, around the fourth album, they can't make very good songs. The albums sell, but everyone at the concerts wants to hear songs from those first three albums. Everyone. I'm glad that video games are not my profession... if it was my job, I would've already made 4 and 5." - Shigesato Itoi, creator of EarthBound/Mother

What I find amazing is that Sakurai pumped so much life into a finished series. The EarthBound series only has 3 games, 2 released outside of Japan, and does not have any foreseeable future whatsoever. The creator is not on board with a Mother 4, and Nintendo doesn't seem to have any interest either since there hasn't been a new game in the series since 2006. But what makes EarthBound live on are its dedicated fans and Smash Bros. Thank you, Sakurai, for representing a dead series so much and giving it a lot of love!

What the Hell Even is this Series?

For those unaware, EarthBound is a trilogy of turn-based RPGs starring boys in striped shirts. The games are EarthBound Beginnings (Mother), EarthBound (Mother 2, starring Ness) and Mother 3 (starring Lucas). Each game is vastly different from each other, and even the RPG formula that this series uses is completely different from other RPGs. Everything about EarthBound is just plain ol' unique. Even the series' humor is unique. While it does have its darker moments, mostly in Mother 3 (R.I.P Hinawa, Lucas' mother), the series doesn't tend to take itself too seriously and offers many funny lines from NPCs and a colorful cast of super weird, odd, quirky characters.

Let me give some examples of how this franchise is different from others. When you think RPG, what comes to your mind? A fantasy world? How about contemporary America:

What kinds of weapons do RPG characters use? Swords? Shields? Why not baseball bats, fry pans, and yo-yos?

The point is, EarthBound is a completely unique series with its own style that has never been replicated since. It's refreshing to play in a world that is very similar to ours. Walking through cities, deserts, winter wonderlands, etc. Although EarthBound is obviously a quirky fiction game, it's grounded in reality which offers a fresh and compelling experience.

The Stars of the Show

Three games, three boys in striped shirts. We got Ninten, Ness, and Lucas. But they're not alone. They are each accompanied by a small party, and most of them (including each of the main boys) use a type of magic called PSI/PK. So whenever you hear "PK Fire!" in Smash and get caught in Ness' annoying trap, that's a move from this series.

Representation in Smash Bros.

Super Smash Bros. (N64)

EarthBound has been represented in Smash Bros since the very beginning, with Ness appearing on N64's title as one of the original 12. Ninten was the first EarthBound protagonist, but EarthBound Beginnings was not an international release at the time and EarthBound was, so it makes sense as to why Ness was chosen. His victory theme consists of the last notes of the Eight Melodies from EarthBound. Many of Ness' move reference EarthBound such as his PSI abilities (which are actually stolen from his party members), his baseball bat, and his yo-yo.

Super Smash Bros. Melee

During the development of Melee, Mother 3 was on the rise as a developing title. Sakurai was ready to cut Ness and replace him with Lucas, but due to Mother 3's multiple delays, Ness stayed and Lucas never showed up. Melee introduced a lot of new EarthBound content, such as two new stages (Onett & Fourside from EarthBound) and multiple music tracks. Thanks to Melee's introduction of neutral specials, Ness also received his move PK Flash.

The game also featured multiple trophies (besides 3 for Ness):
  • Paula Polestar (EarthBound) - "Paula is a PSI master who used her incredible psychic abilities to call Ness from afar. Ness rescued Paula from the blue-stained clutches of the Happy Happyist cult, and she became integral to his EarthBound adventure. Originally, Ness didn't know either PK Thunder or PK Fire, so Paula probably taught him these techniques."
  • Jeff Andonuts (EarthBound) - "Another of Ness's close friends in EarthBound, Jeff is the only son of the famous scientist, Dr. Andonuts. Jeff is a mechanical genius, able to turn common, broken tools into complex weapons like the Hungry HP-sucker and the Slime Generator. He's a bit on the shy side but incredibly intelligent and brave in the heat of battle."
  • Poo (EarthBound) - "Poo, the crown prince of the mysterious eastern country of Dalaam, joined Ness after completing rigorous training in his home country. While he doesn't stand out among Ness's friends, his vast experience and strong willpower make him a key to their success. Poo can assume the form of an enemy to gain its powers."
  • Starman (EarthBound) - "Just one kooky subset of the diverse cast of enemies in EarthBound, these strange creatures are aliens in the employ of Giygas. Variations of the Starman race include Starman, Starman Jr., Starman Deluxe, and Starman Super. They all use PSI powers, but their strength differs depending on the level on which they're found."
  • Mr. Saturn (EarthBound) - "The origins of the Mr. Saturn race are unknown, but many believe they came from outer space. They reside in Saturn Valley and speak their own unique language. In Super Smash Bros. Melee, Mr. Saturn is just another item with which to pelt foes. These guys are laid back and not into fighting, so you can rest easy... or can you?"
  • UFO (EarthBound) - "At the beginning of EarthBound, this flying saucer appears along with the ominous message, 'The War Against Giygas!' Adding to the mystery are three more UFOs while fly amok in the skies over Onett; how all of these alien craft are connected is anyone's guess. In Super Smash Bros. Melee, this slippery UFO appears on the Fourside level.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

With Mother 3 releasing for the GBA in 2006 and Smash Bros. Brawl releasing in 2008, Lucas was able to sneak in an appearance as a playable character without Ness being cut! While the Fourside stage was cut, a new stage (New Pork City) from Mother 3 was put in its place, along with a bunch of stickers, trophies, and new music tracks. Even the King Porky Statue, and Porky himself (Ness' old neighbor turned evil) makes an appearance in the Subspace Emissary as bosses. Ness and Lucas' victory themes are now a sped up version of the final notes of the Eight Melodies from EarthBound Beginnings. Ness and Lucas also use PK Starstorm as their Final Smash, deadly attacks from EarthBound and Mother 3. One final thing, the Franklin Badge that appears across all 3 EarthBound games makes its debut in Brawl as an item, reflecting projectiles just like in its original appearances.

Assist Trophies:

Stickers:
  • Boney (Mother 3)
  • Claus (Mother 3)
  • Devil Car (EarthBound Beginnings)
  • Duster (Mother 3)
  • Flint (Mother 3)
  • Hinawa (Mother 3)
  • Jeff (EarthBound)
  • Kumatora (Mother 3)
  • Little Saucer (EarthBound Beginnings)
  • Lucas (Mother 3)
  • Mad Truck (EarthBound Beginnings)
  • Master Belch (EarthBound)
  • Mr. Saturn (EarthBound)
  • Mr. Saturn (Mother 3)
  • Ness (EarthBound)
  • New Age Retro Hippie (EarthBound Beginnings)
  • Ninten (EarthBound Beginnings)
  • Paula (EarthBound)
  • Pigmask (Mother 3)
  • Poo (EarthBound)
  • Porky (EarthBound)
  • Salsa (Mother 3)
  • Starman (EarthBound)
New Trophies (besides 2 for Ness and Lucas):
  • Franklin Badge (all 3 games): "A badge you can put on to gain the ability to reflect all projectiles. It has exactly the same affect as other reflectors in the game, like the one Fox uses. In EarthBound, it was used to counter Thunder attacks. The lightning bolt on the badge is proof of its capacity. Its importance and usefulness made a deep impression on players."
  • Porky (EarthBound/Mother 3): "A self-centered, rotten brat who lives next door to Ness. As the events of the game progress, he's rapidly led astray and becomes Giygas's right-hand man. Afterward, he goes missing in time and then reappears in the Nowhere Islands of Mother 3. He leads the Pig Mask Army invasion but is eventually defeated by Lucas and friends."
  • Porky Statue (Mother 3): "A guardian statue standing inside New Pork City that's clearly based on Porky himself. Investigate it, and the statue will turn hostile and start a battle. And it has 100,000,000 HP! It has very high stats, so you'll never win if you attack it straight-on. Thankfully, there's an item called 'New Year's Eve' that can reduce its HP to 1—then you can defeat it with ease."
Bonuses: Lucas' neutral special utilizes PK Freeze, and the Ultimate Chimera enemy from Mother 3 makes a horrifying appearance on the New Pork City stage, instantly KOing players just like in his original appearance.

Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS

Once again, this game expands upon EarthBound content in Smash Bros. More music tracks, another new stage (Magicant from EarthBound Beginnings) replacing New Pork City, new enemies in Smash Run, and alternate costumes that contain multiple references.

The Flying Man from EarthBound even makes an appearance as a stage hazard on the Magicant stage, along with Dungeon Man, Pencil Octopus, and more!

New Assist Trophies:

Smash Run Enemies:

New Trophies (besides ones for Ness & Lucas):
  • Flying Man (EarthBound): "The Flying Men are a team of five birdmen. Each time a Flying Man appears, he'll help the first person to reach him with Flying Cross Chops and Somersault Kicks. A small memorial stone will be erected for each one defeated. Once all five are gone, they're done fighting forever until the next battle."
  • Magicant (EarthBound Beginnings): "A magical world in Mother and EarthBound, brought to life by the memories of certain characters. In this game, Magicant is a cloud stage where giant tomatoes, metal octopuses and the Sky Runner can appear at any moment. Dungeon Man might even show his face too, which, all in all, makes for a very unusual battlefield environment."
  • Sky Runner (EarthBound): "A flying machine designed by Dr. Andonuts, it is given to Jeff to travel to Threed. It promptly crash-lands, rendering it temporarily out of service. On the Magicant stage, it can sometimes be seen floating above the clouds before it suddenly zooms back into the sky."
  • Dungeon Man (EarthBound): "Thanks to Dr. Andonuts's genius, the dungeon creator Brickroad was able to become the first man-dungeon hybrid in history, complete with an ATM, pay phone, and hospital. He walks back and forth slowly in the Magicant stage, and his head can serve as a platform to ride on as you fight."
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

This game is the pinnacle of EarthBound content in Smash. All previous stages returning, Mr. Saturn and Franklin Badge as items, etc. This game has it all. Ness and Lucas' PSI attacks now properly match how they look from their perspective games, and their final smashes new include Paula and Poo, and Kumatora and Boney respectively. They also share a new victory theme whose origins are currently be debated. And, there's a new item: Ramblin' Evil Mushroom from EarthBound. Like in EarthBound, players hit with the Ramblin' Evil Mushroom's spores has their controls inverted and a mushroom place on their head.

Known Spirits:
  • Dungeon Man (EarthBound)
  • Duster (Mother 3)
  • Eve (EarthBound Beginnings)
  • Hinawa (Mother 3)
  • Jeff (EarthBound)
  • Kumatora (Mother 3)
  • Ramblin' Evil Mushroom (EarthBound)
  • Salsa (Mother 3)
  • Ultimate Chimera (Mother 3)
Conslusion

For a series that is barely known, finished, and only has 3 games, EarthBound receives a lot of representation in Smash Bros. Even among Smash Bros franchises, EarthBound is still barely talked about. I wanted to create this thread as a place to discuss the series as well as its content in Smash. There's so much little references that Sakurai and his team sneak in, such as the constantly updated design of Ness' yo-yo, and did you know that Lucas' Smash 4 DLC trailer "Comes out of Nowhere" is actually a reference to his home the Nowhere Islands? I am hoping that this is the right place to make this thread, as I believe it is appropriate considering Ultimate is almost here! Time to show this series the love it deserves! Fuzzy Pickles!
The amount of EarthBound (Mother) representation in this game is a perfect way to celebrate the series 30th anniversary next year!

You also forgot the Metroid trophy in Brawl having a hidden Mr. Saturn sprite in its textures and a reflection of Oshoe Castle in one of the Melee trophies.

They also snuck in a Kriby reference within the Z-bolt projectile of Ness/Lucas' PK Fire and the Starman's PK Beam. It comes from the enemy, Master Green from Kirby's Dreamland 2.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

Thank you so much for this thread.
Yeah of course. Like I said in the original post, people only really talk about Ness and Lucas but there isn't really a time where people pay homage to the series they are from. I'm glad I was able to make this thread as a place to celebrate these games, since they are very special and still rather unknown among a lot of people.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Yeah of course. Like I said in the original post, people only really talk about Ness and Lucas but there isn't really a time where people pay homage to the series they are from. I'm glad I was able to make this thread as a place to celebrate these games, since they are very special and still rather unknown among a lot of people.
We should have official speculation threads for each series. That way we can discuss everything we love without having to hop back and forth between threads.

TheBeastHimself

We should have official speculation threads for each series. That way we can discuss everything we love without having to hop back and forth between threads.
That's a very good idea, maybe we can talk with a moderator or someone about that.

One of the things I was kind of disappointed about when I heard trophies weren't returning was that Salsa would still not have a 3D render, and I thought maybe Ultimate would finally give that to him.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

One thing I never understood.....Is it Pu or Poo? I know there's multiple translations of his name.
I believe the canon name and most commonly used name is Poo. Most fans will spell his name that way, and that is his default name in the western version of EarthBound.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I believe the canon name and most commonly used name is Poo. Most fans will spell his name that way, and that is his default name in the western version of EarthBound.
Ah, gotcha. I once say Pu and I got pretty confused.

Personally I think Ninten could be his own semi-clone fighter, kind of like Isabelle or Dr. Mario. Paula could be his echo, Poo for Ness, and Kumatora for Lucas. Then we could get Masked Man, Porky and Giygas, so it's 3 protagonist slots vs. 3 antagonist slots.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I can't be upset about the representation Earthbound has gotten. It's a great series. It may have actually gotten more representation that a finished series that small should deserve.

With that said, I'd still love to see Masked Man or Flint as playable.

Ninten... honestly, I don't care if he ever gets in. If anything the original Mother feels more like a prototype to Earthbound than a direct predecessor and the designs for the main characters don't help.

TheBeastHimself

I'd personally like to see Ninten, Porky, Duster, EBB Giygas, or Masked Man. Out of those picks, I feel like Ninten would be the only one who wouldn't have a very interesting moveset. There's a lot of more unique and interesting picks from the Mother universe that can be pulled from over Ninten, but then again his inclusion just seems kind of obvious. Either way, I'm content with the EarthBound representation in Smash, though I would totally be down for some more.

I always thought a cool stage idea was a travelling stage like Delfino Plaza that takes you around to famous locations of the Nowhere Islands from Mother 3, but the chances of that happening are pretty slim considering that game still hasn't gone international yet. I also remember hearing from Source Gaming that Sakurai would not have included Lucas in Smash had he known Mother 3 was going to be a Japanese exclusive title.

In fact, I have a lot of different locations from the Mother series that I think would work well as stages:

Saturn Valley (EarthBound)

(This is an iconic area from EarthBound and serves as the last location in the game before facing off against Giygas. It'd be really cute to watch all of the Mr. Saturns walking around in the background as you fight.)

Tazmily Village (Mother 3)

(Again, another iconic area, this time from Mother 3. Tazmily Village is a very interesting location since there's a three year time jump between Chapters 3 and 4, so seeing the place transform from simple to modern during the match would be amazing.)

Mt. Itoi (EarthBound Beginnings)

(As for locations from EarthBound Beginnings, it's hard to choose since most places are either super generic looking and Magicant is already a stage. However, Mt. Itoi is a pretty intense and memorable part of the game, so if there had to be another stage from this game, I'd go with this.
I'd also be totally fine seeing these guys as assist trophies:

Duster

(Now that Paula, Poo, Kumatora, and Boney are all in the game with 3D models and everything, I thought this would be the pefect time to see Duster become an assist trophy alongside Jeff, but oddly enough that never happened. There's a lot to pull from with Duster, especially because of his thief tools, so I think he'd make a great assist trophy.)

Salsa

(Salsa would be a lot of fun to see as an assist trophy. Especially if he's able to pull from his dance as Osohe Castle!)
Speaking of Salsa, I love how the guys over at Smashified created this:

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
For a relatively old series with only 3 games, I think Mother gets a lot of love in Smash.
That being said, Porky would make a great playable addition, and I'm bummed that Duster isn't an assist trophy.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Just make Porky a playable character (if he isn't a World of Light boss already) and then Mother/Eartbound will be FULLY complete IMO.

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I mentioned before that EarthBound is my favorite series of all time, but I'd feel a bit guilty asking for more substantial content from the series.
It's a bit out there and Itoi wants to leave it concluded as a trilogy, so I'd rather other series get more attention.

That said, I want actual battle themes from the series.
If I could pick ONE, I'd probably go for Kraken of the Sea, preferrably remixed by one of the Splatoon guys.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm pretty satisfied with the representation for the series. You have a stage and music for each game in the series. The only thing I'd want at this point is a Duster assist trophy.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I really wish Sakurai would make a Mother 4. He brought Kid Icarus back from the dead, though, I do wish there was another Kid Icarus on the way, but like the classics. With Lucas added in the game, I'd like Ninten to make an appearance, but Pokey would make more sense because Ness and Lucas have fought Pokey. I play Smash because there aren't any future releases with my main in them. :(

TheBeastHimself

I really wish Sakurai would make a Mother 4. He brought Kid Icarus back from the dead, though,{/QUOTE]

To be honest, I think Itoi would be open to that idea. He has stated in the past that he wouldn't mind if fans made a Mother 4, so I'm not sure if he would have a problem with someone else spear-heading the next official installment. Then again, fanmade and official are two completely different terms. Itoi may want the official series to be over forever, and would not want someone else capitalizing off his success, making fan projects rather harmless as long as they stay free-to-play and unofficial. Honestly though, I think Mother is just over. I don't want to say that it is over forever because anything could happen in the future, but it's been 12 1/2 years since the last game, so I can't picture a new game coming out any time in the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Did anyone find any footage that confirms that Magicant uses the EarthBound Beginnings logo as its Stage Prefix, along with the tracks from the first Mother game saying EarthBound Beginnings instead of Mother? Mother 3 is used for New Pork City.

Uffe

Smash Hero
To be honest, I think Itoi would be open to that idea. He has stated in the past that he wouldn't mind if fans made a Mother 4, so I'm not sure if he would have a problem with someone else spear-heading the next official installment. Then again, fanmade and official are two completely different terms. Itoi may want the official series to be over forever, and would not want someone else capitalizing off his success, making fan projects rather harmless as long as they stay free-to-play and unofficial. Honestly though, I think Mother is just over. I don't want to say that it is over forever because anything could happen in the future, but it's been 12 1/2 years since the last game, so I can't picture a new game coming out any time in the foreseeable future.
I'd prefer an official release over a fan made one any day. Mother 1 left us with a cliffhanger, and Mother 2 has Picky send Ness a letter telling him to, "Come get me, loser!" They could continue from there if they wanted to. I'm still not sure what to make of Mother 3's ending, however. I'm not really sure how they'd continue from there if they ever planned on it. I think Nintendo has rights to the Mother series now, don't they? Like someone else created King K. Rool, but Nintendo can still use that character.

TheBeastHimself

I'd prefer an official release over a fan made one any day. Mother 1 left us with a cliffhanger, and Mother 2 has Picky send Ness a letter telling him to, "Come get me, loser!" They could continue from there if they wanted to. I'm still not sure what to make of Mother 3's ending, however. I'm not really sure how they'd continue from there if they ever planned on it. I think Nintendo has rights to the Mother series now, don't they? Like someone else created King K. Rool, but Nintendo can still use that character.
I think I was wrong about what I said earlier, Earthbound may not be 100% finished. Itoi said this in an interview a few months after Mother 3's release:

"If someone were to come up to me and say, 'I'd like to make a Mother 4,' I might just say, 'Sure, go ahead!' Yeah, if there was a Mother 4, I'd really love to play it."

He isn't necessarily saying a fan game here, he could very well be talking about Nintendo themselves.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm very very happy with Mother's representation in Smash, I love the series, so it's heartwarming to see that it can still live on through Smash, especially as I fully agree with Itoi that the series is best left where it is now. It's honestly a bit lucky that Sakurai is a fan, the amount of representation it has in Smash is much bigger than its own success, so I really appreciate that it always receives some new stuff in each game, and it's also one of those series where it's especially interesting to see how things translate to 3D.

Of course there are still things from the series I'd love to see in Smash, like Porky as a character, Saturn Valley as a stage, and there are so many potentially great bosses from it too, but I'm never going to demand any of those things, because I feel like it's important to be appreciative of what it's already getting.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord

You mean that contemporary America has psychic boys and fictional monsters running around? The world of Earthbound seems pretty fantasy to me, just like all other RPG's which feature cities in them.

Very - unique - weapons.

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Not only Nintendo owns the rights, but also the creator of the series: Shigesato Itoi. He's within the copyright of all Mother related content except some Smash Bros. ones due to Ness' status as being a hidden character.

Top Bottom