• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Opinions on EarthBound/Mother and Their Representation in Smash

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
Stage representation and item representation is sufficient. Assist representation is okay. Character representation is okay also, but it'd really be nice if we had a M1 rep. With the way Ultimate's DLC is being handled, we could get a Ninten with a partially unique or fully unique moveset. Personally, I really want Giegue to rep Mother 1. I think in any case, the stage should be Mt. Itoi.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I'm actually once more starting to warm up to the possibility of Ninten joining Smash. EarthBound Beginnings was released a little before Smash Ultimate development began, and remains one of the best selling titles on the Wii U VC. I wouldn't be surprised if we got new Mother content from DLC, but I also wouldn't be surprised if we didn't.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Stage representation is very good, Assist Trophy representation is okay, and playable character representation in the roster isn't enough. Porky getting in as our Mother villain rep and Ninten getting in as our Mother 1 rep would definitely complete the Mother representation in the roster.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I suppose the content given to the Earthbound/Mother boys is perfectly fine

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I'm actually once more starting to warm up to the possibility of Ninten joining Smash. EarthBound Beginnings was released a little before Smash Ultimate development began, and remains one of the best selling titles on the Wii U VC. I wouldn't be surprised if we got new Mother content from DLC, but I also wouldn't be surprised if we didn't.
I would be VERY surprised if EarthBound got anything more than a Mii costume as DLC.
See it from the perspective of people who arn't fans:
A small, niche series whos creator is no longer interested in making video games gets a whole character, a fifth stage and music!
If that happens, we'll be in deep doodoo with the smash fanbase. They would probably say, "Hey you guys!" or something like that…

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
I would be VERY surprised if EarthBound got anything more than a Mii costume as DLC.
See it from the perspective of people who arn't fans:
A small, niche series whos creator is no longer interested in making video games gets a whole character, a fifth stage and music!
If that happens, we'll be in deep doodoo with the smash fanbase. They would probably say, "Hey you guys!" or something like that…
I'm pretty sure people were surprised from the amount of Mother 3 representation in Brawl (playable character, boss, music), coming from a Japan-only game that had a boss in the story mode. And already with Magicant previously which also came from a Japan-only game at the time.
There was people said that they wanted a lot EarthBound representation to removed in Smash, but at least its more accepted now.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

I'm pretty sure people were surprised from the amount of Mother 3 representation in Brawl (playable character, boss, music), coming from a Japan-only game that had a boss in the story mode. And already with Magicant previously which also came from a Japan-only game at the time.
There was people said that they wanted a lot EarthBound representation to removed in Smash, but at least its more accepted now.
To add onto this, Brawl had Lucas starring in a more prominent role in the story mode rather than Ness which is sort of odd (but I suppose that's just Sakurai and his team believing Mother 3 would eventually be released worldwide).

I can understand why people wouldn't want more EarthBound content, and like I said I'm perfectly content with it. In fact, I'd say the majority of EarthBound fans are probably alright with Mother representation in Smash, but many of us just want a few finished touches because although we were given a lot, there's still a tiny bit more that could be added which would satisfy many. However, I won't be holding my breath for more representation because it's pretty much great!

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I'm curious as to whether or not they'll bring Porky back or if they'll have some other boss instead (If at all). in World of Light.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
To add onto this, Brawl had Lucas starring in a more prominent role in the story mode rather than Ness which is sort of odd (but I suppose that's just Sakurai and his team believing Mother 3 would eventually be released worldwide).
Brawl was conceptualized in 2005, noone could know if MOTHER3 was gonna be localized or not at that point.

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
I think the Mother series has great representation. Ness/Lucas are both solid additions with unique movesets, despite people tihnking they are semi-clones.

It has AMAZING rep in Subspace. Porky and the statue as bosses/hazards are awesome and challenging.

My only complaint are the stages. Onett is beyond bland, and New Pork City is absolutely atrociously bad. They couldve re-imagined it to be so much better. As it stands now, its just a bunch of random platforms infront of a new pork background. (With Chimera).
I DO like Magicant (kinda), and Fourside is excellent.

I wish they re-did New Pork City to be like Castle Seige, but instead you would focus on the '100 floor building' before you fight Porky. It would stop at different levels, like the Hippo Room, the games rooms, the construction room, etc....

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
There's also a Magicant remix, too bad they don't have Wisdom of the World in the song which is really disappointing.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I like the new Magicant remix more, since it's more upbeat and quick, fitting a battle scenario more. Lord knows EarthBound needed songs like that.

TheBeastHimself

I like the new Magicant remix more, since it's more upbeat and quick, fitting a battle scenario more. Lord knows EarthBound needed songs like that.
Yeah, it grew on me. I love the 8-bit sound effects that are mixed in, they sound like they are right from Mother and it blends well with everything else. The old Magicant theme did have a whimsical and adventurous theme to it, which is something I also love. I feel like both do a great job of capturing the atmosphere of Magicant.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
One last thing... a Mr. Saturn hat is available for Mii fighters to wear in Ultimate.

ArcticKat

Smash Rookie
I finished EarthBound about a week ago.
Honestly, nothing about it resonated with me and I don’t get why people like it so much.
The story didn’t make much sense, and I’m not in the mood to ponder what kind of avant garde meaning it had.
The battle system was bare-bones functional. It was okay, but I didn’t exactly find it fun.
I don’t know if I hated it though. It was like going through purgatory. Perhaps I would have liked it more if it didn’t give your party members such tiny inventory space.

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
I liked Undertale, and I'm glad that EB and Mother inspired that game's creator. I am disappointed that none of the Smash games that I've owned so far have contained the entirety of Mother 3 translated into English.

I *hate* the New Pork City stage. I liked Ness more before he shot the sparks from his hands like Lucas does. I wasn't too huge a fan with how Lucas (or anyone, for that matter,) played as a fighter in Brawl, although he seemed like he had an interesting backstory. I kind of wish Sakurai would include another character who wasn't well known in the US again, just for the sheer surprise and ability to learn a new thing yada yada yada. Or an obscure and/or old-school/retro pick would be nice. I guess we could count Piranha Plant as.... all of the above, maybe. And I guess Ridley, K. Rool, and the Castlevaniars could count to everyone who isn't heavily involved in the Nintendo, Smash, and/or video game community (which is most people).

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

Shoutout to Zeox Zeox for posting screenshots of this. This type of detail is what makes me love EarthBound's representation in Smash Bros.

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
^ That is actually insane. omg.

On the note of the topic: I did set some Earthbound music to play in Smash, and I realize there are only 12 tracks. :/

That's so little. :(
Mother 3's battle music alone is so good, like Troublesome guys, cumbersome guys, and bothersome guys!!

UserKev

Smash Champion
Pokey is growing on me. I think at this point, Pokey is truly absent. Masked Man is honestly unnecessary and Ninten isn't absent in comparison. EB deserves 3 representations at best and there's no filling that void other than Pokey, honestly.

You could even make Ninten an alt of Ness and he's literally playable.

Oddball

Smash Lord
You could even make Ninten an alt of Ness and he's literally playable.
They're pretty much identicle in appearance anyway.

You could make the add a scarf argument but at that point you're not asking for Ninten, you're asking for the fanart version of Ninten. Adding the guy just so you can say all three games have their protagonist in Smash is a waste of space.

Really, give that Earthbound has two playable characters, three items, a mii costume, two assist trophies, and four stages it has more than enough representation. Others series could only WISH they were represented as well as Earthbound.

Attachments

UserKev

Smash Champion
Really, give that Earthbound has two playable characters, three items, a mii costume, two assist trophies, and four stages it has more than enough representation. Others series could only WISH they were represented as well as Earthbound.
But finishing EB representation with Pokey wouldn't be overkill because he actually make sense and is literally the face of Mother 3.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I'd be down for Pokey but I'd not be crushed without him. As Oddball said, the series is honestly lucky to have as much representation as it does relative to others in Smash.

Top Bottom