• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Opinions on Best Swordfighter Set?

Luigi Linguine

Smash Cadet
I personally think 1331 is the best set. I chose Gale Strike for neutral-b because it deals a ton of damage and sends straight up, allowing for true combos and kill confirms against the vast majority of the cast. It also has set knockback, so it works at any percent. Chakram is an extremely versatile secondary projectile because you can manipulate the angle and speed, plus it can hit multiple times, leading to more true combos. Hero's Spin is both a reliable recovery move as well as a kill move that you can confirm into very easily. Gale Strike into Hero's Spin kills at about 80-90% for example. Blade Counter is just to counter recoveries with hitboxes because Swordfighter's edgeguarding game is honestly pretty bad without it.

I'm open to further discussion if anyone has a different set that they prefer.

Last edited:

MercuryPenny

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MemorialDime
1331 and, rarely, 1332

gale strike and hero's spin are obviously necessities. i personally use chakram since having a second projectile outweighs the benefits a predictable horizontal recovery option that isn't particularly flexible could give imo. counter is pretty great for making disadvantage less painful so it's generally the best option but reversal slash is pretty helpful against zoners and is basically a slightly weaker cape so i like to keep it in my back pocket

maxistrife

Smash Apprentice
Figure posting here makes more sense than making a new thread...I never took the Mii's seriously, but after making a VERY convincing Viridi, I wanna use her! I really am not sure how viable they are online, but it looks like all the Mii's can be decent. I use:

Gale Strike, because it uses a tornado which seems very Viridi-ish AND I like how it tosses up foes and makes for easy ariel combos or Hero Spinning.

Airborne Assault, but this is up for change...I have not played with the Chakram, and Gale Stab looks useless, but AA looks like a great horizontal recovery option, or a bit of a get away tool.

Hero Spin mainly for familiarity, and it seems to have decent KO potential. Everyone seems to use this one.

I chose Power Thrust because when dive bombing, it hits like a truck and doesn't even have to be a direct hit to affect the opponent, but like Airborne Assault I do not know how well it will work online against people. I am uncomfortable trying to counter, so I would not use blade counter...but I WOULD switch to reversal slash if it was indeed useful (sounds like cape which may disorient opponents briefly)

Any advice for a new Mii swordfighter?

Luigi Linguine

Smash Cadet
I'll admit, I just kind of assumed that Power Thrust was as bad as it was in Smash 4 since I hadn't heard anyone talk about it until now. After seeing you mention it though, I decided to test it out and I think I actually prefer it over Blade Counter since it sends directly up for some reason, making it useless for gimping. Both the aerial and grounded variants are pretty decent and I found that slow Chakram into grounded Power Thrust is a good option if you're too far away to land a forward smash. All three of Swordfighter's down specials are quite situational, so it can really go either way, but I digress. Thanks for sharing!

Most of the advice that I would give you was already said in my main post, but I will add that down tilt is a very safe and reliable combo starter at early percents. It comes out on frame 5, which is Swordfighter's fastest grounded option, and has decent range. It true combos into dash attack at around 0-20% and then forward air until around 50%.

Dbap

Smash Rookie
I swear by 1-3-1-X. Stone scabbard is insanely underrated, I can’t go back to the meta jank build now that I’ve got used to it. You can actually offstage edgeguard using SS and if you use it corrrectly to recover you can make it back from pretty much anything (make sure you hold left/right to get the distance for ledge snap). I also still frequently get kills with it in Elite, when the opponent is waiting under a play/near the edge, do your SS so that you overshoot by just a little bit and hold left/right for distance, kills decently early if you can get behind their character with it.

I used to opt for things other than wind and chaks but generally I find them to be pretty far superior in most MUs.

ASAP_Smash

Smash Cadet
I am committed to 2333.

Shuriken of light > power thrust is a true KO confirm
Short hop slow chakram > hero spin is more consistent then nado spin
Chakram > power thrust tech chase is ez bake
Chakram > shuriken of light is an automatic frame advantage

Thing about nado spin is that it’s a tight window, is hard to land, and the last hit of upb can be DI’d. What people don’t realise is that slow chakram > hero spin KO’s just as early and is way more consistent. On top of that shuriken of light is a free frame advantage tool. Finally, power thrust is insane at catching techs near the side of the stage. It’s literally a brain dead move. To add icing on the cake, it true combo’s from shuriken of light at around 100% and up. Calling it now, 2333 is top tier.

Eyeland

Smash Rookie
After trying out a lot of combos....I'm a 1123 guy. Sometimes I take chakram but I like airborne assault. I use it mostly for recovery, but it is handing for edge kills. The stall animation right before take off is the same as his wind up for dash attack and a few other moves so it can fake out opponents. You can also string them and transition directly to Skyward Slash for mega recovery distance (sometimes you can eve go under the board). I have had good success edge guarding by Airborne assault off edge of board then airborne assault back and hitting the recovery character from the blind side.

I like powerthrust since it can ofrce it's way through a lot of projectiles and comes out quick. Quick enough infact that it is a true combo out of N-air at most percents upt to about 85. Gives 27.6 damage and puts them back in nice range for Gale Strike.

Hoomon

Smash Rookie
I believe firmly on either 2223 (my personal moveset) or 2233, Galestab and shuriken of light in my opinion are massively underated ESPECIALLY GALE STAB THAT MOVE IS SO GOOD! You basically get to use it to push any form of roll, landing lag, even simply landing from a full hop because the move comes out so fast that unless the enemy is shielding or throwing out a move it will just about always hit. Shurikens also make sure the enemy cant predict when you will dash at them, you could always just poke shurikens instead and that means enemies will think twice about just shielding or throwing out counters willy nilly. Not to mention you get an insane amount of recovery with two great recovery moves and if you want free kills you have power thrust as well which means you can mix up your dash in timing as well which is disgustingly good. In general I think people should look at gale stab I think it has massive potential even more so than chakram (and that says something seeing how amazing chakram is)

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
I am committed to 2333.

Shuriken of light > power thrust is a true KO confirm
Short hop slow chakram > hero spin is more consistent then nado spin
Chakram > power thrust tech chase is ez bake
Chakram > shuriken of light is an automatic frame advantage

Thing about nado spin is that it’s a tight window, is hard to land, and the last hit of upb can be DI’d. What people don’t realise is that slow chakram > hero spin KO’s just as early and is way more consistent. On top of that shuriken of light is a free frame advantage tool. Finally, power thrust is insane at catching techs near the side of the stage. It’s literally a brain dead move. To add icing on the cake, it true combo’s from shuriken of light at around 100% and up. Calling it now, 2333 is top tier.
This sounds rly convincing. Will try.

DEMIURGEf66060

Smash Rookie
I personally think 1331 is the best set. I chose Gale Strike for neutral-b because it deals a ton of damage and sends straight up, allowing for true combos and kill confirms against the vast majority of the cast. It also has set knockback, so it works at any percent. Chakram is an extremely versatile secondary projectile because you can manipulate the angle and speed, plus it can hit multiple times, leading to more true combos. Hero's Spin is both a reliable recovery move as well as a kill move that you can confirm into very easily. Gale Strike into Hero's Spin kills at about 80-90% for example. Blade Counter is just to counter recoveries with hitboxes because Swordfighter's edgeguarding game is honestly pretty bad without it.

I'm open to further discussion if anyone has a different set that they prefer.
I agree with most of this. I use all of the down specials and up specials, though i mainly use up special 2 or 3. as for those who prefer aerial assault, it's still a good move, but sacrifices one of swordfighter's best tools IMO. i think it just depends on your playstyle, as I tend to take a more defensive approach with swordfighter until i can land a hit.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
I swear by 1-3-1-X. Stone scabbard is insanely underrated, I can’t go back to the meta jank build now that I’ve got used to it. You can actually offstage edgeguard using SS and if you use it corrrectly to recover you can make it back from pretty much anything (make sure you hold left/right to get the distance for ledge snap). I also still frequently get kills with it in Elite, when the opponent is waiting under a play/near the edge, do your SS so that you overshoot by just a little bit and hold left/right for distance, kills decently early if you can get behind their character with it.

I used to opt for things other than wind and chaks but generally I find them to be pretty far superior in most MUs.
This is pretty much where I landed for my moveset quite a while ago now. The projectiles are just too good not to use and create loads of pressure while SS has lots recovery range and can be used to KO opponents whether your on or offstage. Due to people not knowing Mii Swordfighter, their reaction to being spiked or KO'd by SS is quite funny at times. It can be easy for some characters to intercept though if they know what they're doing so in that case I tend to opt for Skyward Slash which also has good distance.

For the down special I almost always use Power Thrust because I like its range, decent speed, and ability to KO at reasonable percents. What originally got me into using it was the fact it comboed into chakram. Its also nice as a mixup for a surprise attack in the air which can even KO opponents on the edge. Though very niche, I even found out if you do it just right you can Power Thrust just past the ledge then have just enough distance to recover back with Stone Scabbard.
Though, I still like the rainbow reflector very much too. Its especially fun to gimp some recoveries with it. In some matchups where very beneficial I might switch to it.

I'm still up for testing other movesets though and the character seems to still have a lot of unrealized potential. I think if someone truly mastered all the character had to offer, including multiple movesets in order to counter certain characters/players, then MiiSwordfighter could really rise through the ranks!

TheRainKing

Smash Rookie
I use 1332, and here's why.

I use Gale Strike and Hero's Spin for the combo. Some people have said it's DI-able, but you can adjust your Hero's Spin to make sure they stay in it. Chakrams because they allow you to play a zoning game and camp people out along with giving you stupid edge-guarding.

Reversal Slash I see as the most important of all, since it lets you handle zoners far more easily, especially if you take other projectiles. Chakrams is probably the most negotiable, and I guess you can run Shurikens + Gale Stab instead of the combo, but being able to patch up and even turn around problem matchups makes the reflector amazing imho.

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
The falcon kick down special is underrated and should be used more. The Ike side-special is even more underrated and is actually a very good move that gives swordfighter some well needed burst and ways to mix up recovery. If you are using hero's spin you need that side special for recovery. Its an overpowered version of what Ike has and it can be thrown out in neutral. It has very low endlag making it difficult to punish. It's the one special swordfighter players should use more.

Chakram is super overrated. Shuriken of Light would be great if the close hit had even the slightest bit of stun. But the fact that it doesn't makes it easy to counterplay. Still a super good move, but tornado too stronk.

Top Bottom