• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Opinions - Keep Them Civil

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
They look cool.

My reaction:

What do you think?

Last edited:

Folt

Smash Ace
Male Byleth has one of my favorite general designs even if he's my least favorite Avatar.

Still, his character design and abilities are strong and solid enough that I wanted them over all the 3H House Lords to be playable in Smash.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I noticed that they both feature on the website. I know both Robins did in Smash 4, but they are the only ones to have that trait here. Odd.

I also can't find them on the mural, and they didn't do an addition as I recall which is also odd.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
I noticed that they both feature on the website. I know both Robins did in Smash 4, but they are the only ones to have that trait here. Odd.

I also can't find them on the mural, and they didn't do an addition as I recall which is also odd.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Ah, why wasn't that in the presentation? Oh well.

That thing is going to get really crowded.

But, yeah, don't like TH, but I'm oddly okay with this. They look fun enough, and I already got the pass so I may as well have fun with them.

grizby2

Smash Lord
im not very excited, kind of a "meh" reveal for me. honestly would have taken them a lot better if they had been revealed earlier. im still getting them, as I would with any smash dlc of course.
to say that people who are mad about this are in the wrong is just silly though. people had ALOT of expectations for the final dlc for the first fighter pass, and if you thought ANOTHER FE rep from the MOST RECENT GAME wasn't going to ruffle anyones feathers, where the heck have you been? XD

moveset looks alright, up special looks sick. im just getting tired of FE's art style. I feel a bit bad that im more hyped for the mii fighter costumes than the actual character reveal, and for the second time in a row no less.

anyway, heres my reaction. enjoy :]

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm not mad nor do not mind as I already got my three most wants.

Anyone else at this point would be icing on cake. I congratulate the supporters that got Byleth.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Is it wrong that I laughed when Byleth was revealed considering how many people were tired of Fire Emblem characters?

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
Bleh, I've never played a FE Game but I hate Byleth's (is this a real name?) character design when I see it. It's so dark looking that it's hard to see what they're even wearing. (Compare & Contrast to Robin and Corrin, were I do like their designs and it's clear that they're wearing robes/armor.

Good choice by Sakurai that they're not just limited to be a sword-wielder ALBEIT that the sword will probably be the most used weapon in their arsenal and the Metagame. It looks like they've looked at the shortcomings of other fighters (i.e Marth) and built Byleth's strengths around it.

FE has now what 8 characters on the roster? (11 if you count the female alts as characters themselves) I won't begrudge the Fans who got Byleth and what they wanted but damn Sakurai it should be TIME OUT at this stage with the FE over representation.

AGreatProcrastinator

Smash Apprentice
I'm one of those weirdos who doesn't really care about how many reps a series has. So the "ANOTHER FE CHARACTER!!!" thing doesn't bother me, especially since their moveset isn't Marth-derivative and they don't have a counter. It also helps that I didn't really have any expectations for FP5.

So overall my mind isn't blown but they look fun and I'm excited to try them out.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Random thoughts.
I was a little underwhelmed beginning the trailer, partly because I was hoping for Edelgard in the inevitable TH rep reveal. But Byleth seems potentially a lot of fun at least for me, having always liked the FE playstyles in Smash. Plus Three Houses is a good game (I do think it's just a little bit overrated; the best FE game would still be a HD remake of PoR/RD imo).

Garreg Mach looks waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy better in Smash than in Three Houses, that was my first thought during its reveal in the Direct.

I'm weirdly reinspired to finish my Crimson Flower run, even though I've been burnt out by Dimitri and Claude's routes already.

Brindor Brindor it is a real name insofar as it's taken from a mythological king of Hell, just as many other FE names are mythological references.
Reminds me how I was working on a novel with an antagonist named Bylath, but this was begun shortly prior to Three Houses' reveal, so now the name is way more/too popular in fantasy lexicons lmao

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Byleth him/herself is fine as a character, but there definitly is fatigue with Fire Emblem representation. I think the overall similar aesthetic is what bother me. I'm usually excited about every release despite my personal connection with the character, but for Byleth I mostly feel indifferent. I just don't understand why we keep going back to FE for characters when there are so many franchises with large wells left.

but meh as long as the character is fun I guess, I'm in for the ride at this point.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
I do kinda wonder if Nintendo announced more DLCs just because they foresaw Byleyh could be an underwhelming and forcing pick.

Anyway I don't hate s/he, but when there are still a great selection of Nintendo characters from less presented franchises, the choice of Byleth would make people think of advertising more than moveset potential. It's not good when Byleth would easily receive backlash even if s/he is a great fighter.

I'm more curious why this order, what if Byleth swaps with Simon or Inklings so that keeps the Fighter Pass in one with New franchises? After all in a view of comparison, people sure expect the last one to be as nice as Banjo and Terry. Nintendo could has put the best one for the last.

As for Reggie I think he would have trouble eating his words for ensuring it's a pick as original as Joker.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I do kinda wonder if Nintendo announced more DLCs just because they foresaw Byleyh could be an underwhelming and forcing pick.

Anyway I don't hate s/he, but when there are still a great selection of Nintendo characters from less presented franchises, the choice of Byleth would make people think of advertising more than moveset potential. It's not good when Byleth would easily receive backlash even if s/he is a great fighter.

I'm more curious why this order, what if Byleth swaps with Simon or Inklings so that keeps the Fighter Pass in one with New franchises? After all in a view of comparison, people sure expect the last one to be as nice as Banjo and Terry. Nintendo could has put the best one for the last.

As for Reggie I think he would have trouble eating his words for ensuring it's a pick as original as Joker.
Doubt that Byleth had something to do with contuining the DLC. Main reason would be because it's a solid business model; Ultimate keeps bringing Nintendo profits with its DLC fighters which helps the game stay fresh and relevant, so they may want to keep this up for a while. I find amazing how their roadmap goes as far as December 2021.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well i was never too fond of him in 3 houses, but the moveset looks decent and the stage looks better than the other 3 FE stages and the B&K hype lead me the buy the whole pass so im gonna try and enjoy it

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Byleth is the only fighters pass character I’ve been legitimately hyped for :upsidedown:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Honestly pretty happy. Would have preferred Edelgard but Byleth is not shocking in the least. The way they handled the moveset I love.

I don't have Fire Emblem fatigue because Smash 4 where they were dropping Fire Emblem characters left and right was years ago at this point. If there was any fatigue I'm well past over it.

Destinylegend

Smash Cadet
NNID
Destinylegend
3DS FC
2122-6400-3417
I'm really happy to see Byleth in this game, love Fire Emblem: Three Houses. Byleth/Edelgard were my 4th most wanted character, so I'm happy I actually got one of my characters as dlc. And tbh, haven't been really hype for a dlc character since Joker, and Corrin before in Smash 4 since I'm a Corrin main, and I love dragons, lol. I'm happy to finally have a character I'm actually excited for in the dlc again, and I'm going to actually try to main. Corrin is moving to my secondary sadly, lol, but I'll still play as my favorite dragon girl, lol. Really happy for this :)

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Byleth was my second most-wanted character for Ultimate, but I do think they could've handled that much better. I've seen people argue that Byleth would've been better off as a bonus DLC character like Piranha Plant was, and I honestly agree. It's a missed opportunity, but what's done is done. We've got at least 6 more characters coming now.

I might make Byleth a secondary or my main seeing if I end up liking him more than Hero. I hope to see (Male) Byleth get good tournament results in the future. I think I would've preferred Edelgard as well since Avatars seem to be hogging the spotlight from FE main characters now. I daresay I would've preferred Anna even since she really deserves a spot in FE's current roster, but there's always next time.

SS2000

Smash Apprentice
Call me crazy, but Byleth has been the one and only DLC character thus far to actually make me feel excited! lol
Maybe I'm just a decrepit old man, having played Nintendo's series including Fire Emblem all the way back since the days of the Famicon, but when I play Smash, it is the Nintendo characters that excite me and that I look forward to. I think the only third party character I really wished for at any point was Sonic (and Megaman to a lesser extent). My reactions to the DLC characters thus far went like: "Joker? A random character I have no connection to whose game hasn't even been on a Nintendo console? Meh." "Hero? You already know it is not a character of personal history when they are simply called 'Hero', but the games they're from are kind of good. It's the fact that they are a walking RNG lottery that makes this character stand out! lol An okay addition, but I'd still much prefer a first party character." "Banjo? I don't know whether to laugh or cry... Way back in the day this would have been a dream... a dream I had long since buried and figured it better to forget due to the fact that it would just be an early reminder of how corporate greed is destined to ruin all of gaming... Bittersweet. I still would rather it be a first party character." "Terry? Isn't one/two fighting genre characters enough? I've played his games, but to me he is a distant character with little relevance these days. Another meh." At this point all hope for a Nintendo character is lost, thus I thought, "So who will this last character I do not care about be this time? Dante? Travis? L Block?..."
The second I saw Byleth my Jaw dropped and I couldn't help but go, "Yes! Finally! A first party character! From a game I've put over a thousand hours into at that! The fact that it's a FE character is just the cherry on top! Hopes and dreams renewed! Life is good! Please let this be a sign of things to come!" All while bursting into uncontrollable laughter as I realized how salty all the people expecting the likes of Master Chief would end up being! :laugh:
As for the way Byleth was handled, I guess I like it overall. Giving him all the relics was one way to make a character representative of the series many signature weapons (instead of "just another swordsman"), kind of like how Robin was representative of the series durability system. I was kind of hoping that if Byleth was in, he'd have a gimmick revolving around his Divine Pulse ability that he is known for which didn't end up happening. But this is still good enough for me.
Here's to hoping that fighter pass 2 can also end with yet another FE character! Then Sakurai could conclude it by saying, "The reason we did six this time is because we did not want to break what has become an important tradition: All waves of DLC are to end with a new Fire Emblem character! [*smugly proceeds to hang more FE posters up in office*]" :joyful:

Last edited:

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Definitely not a character I would have wanted but they look fun, have a unique moveset, and new playstyle so I'm content enough as thats all I can really ask for in a new character. I'm perfectly happy with the likes of Pit, Yoshi, and MiiSwordfighter.

All while bursting into uncontrollable laughter as I realized how salty all the people expecting the likes of Master Chief would end up being!
I resent that :p
But in all seriousness, I never expected Chief to be picked at this time. If anything, It makes more sense for Chief to be added near the end of this year when Halo Infinite is coming out. I've come to believe its a serious possibility with the inclusion of Banjo-Kazooie and (more or less,) Cuphead.
Hopefully we get some more first party characters in FP Vol. 2 as well.

Amberloo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sashaloo
3DS FC
1203-9998-9799
I won't lie, my first reaction was... "I woke up at 7 am for this? Enh..." But to be fair, I think there was a good bit of whiplash because it started with Sakurai stating how most of the people working at Nintendo didn't know who he was working on, which set this expectation that it was something that would even shock them; plus it's the final character of the first pass! And then it's... a Fire Emblem character. Now, that being said, I am a fan of the series. I mean, Fire Emblem Echoes is probably my favorite 3DS game and I extremely wanted Celica in the game. I think the timing was just honestly poor. But I guess people were gonna be mad anyway whenever it happened, so might as well rip the dang band-aid off. And for myself, I already got my most wanted- Hero- so feeling let down wasn't really going to happen.

Byleth definitely looks fun and f!Byleth is super cute- just look at that smile! But you know what really bugs me? This is what I wanted BotW Link to be like! That's what really gets me. :p

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
First reaction was confusion, followed by an overwhelming feeling of hype. I came in fully expecting someone random to me, who I have no connection to but would have an interesting enough move-set that I would be okay with it. But it wasn't that. It wasn't another character I had no attachment to or a corporate rep just to say "Hey, look what company that doesn't usually being their games here said yes this time". It was the character I played as for 200+ hours, in one of the best games on the Switch. Honestly, I have not felt that strong feeling of genuine excitement since the reveal of Ridley.

As I see the Three Houses style cut-scene of Byleth being swallowed by the darkness and it mirroring word for word the scene I have seen at least 3 times now, I am waiting eagerly for the confirmation. And Sothos smile holding the Smash letter is so, perfect, for what I was feeling. The only minor gripe I have with that part of the trailer is anytime I ever see Solon again, all I will think is, "So joining Smash consumes even the darkness itself!" He already is kind of a silly villain so, now he will never be serious again.

Then we see the basic game-play of him with the sword, and he looks interesting. First thing I noticed was how much better his model looks than in Three Houses, though it might just be how the lighting is done in the different games. I think around the time the other Fire Emblem character start absolutely beating him down it hits me Edge of Dawn is playing, and that, yes. Edge of Dawn is in Smash. Awesome!

The thing with these smash trailers is every time the character gets beat up this badly in the reveal, a gimmick shows up to turn the tide. Sothos talking about to many sword-fighters made me laugh, and then the other hero relics just slam into the ground, as the female Byleth flies out(what? XD) of the darkness Mario 64 style with them orbiting around. I found it an odd mix of humorous, especially when Solon just stood there to confused to speak, and excitement because it looked like we were getting something pretty different.

As they go through the weapons I am liking what I see. The Axe seems to hit super hard, which is appropriate as Im convinced nothing short of some nuclear pasta shield could block a swing of that from Edelgard. The lance has some realyl good range, about what I expected Ridley to have when he was first revealed actually. The Bow looked like they shoved Links final smash into a neutral special at first which, Honestly I was overwhelmed by the time the final smash came. This is basically the best Fire Emblem moveset we could have asked for. Ironically from the same game that removed the weapon triangle.

So yeah, I liked it. :p

The rest of the direct was just going over Fire Emblem and, binary, which was interesting. Showing off the moves, the stage and the song list( 2 versions of Edge of Dawn :) ) and ending with 6 more characters for the next two years to think about.

Ridley will always be my main, I don't care if he gets buffed to the level of Bayonetta and gets hated because of it, or becomes the melee pichu of Ultimate never to be seen again in any tournament of video content. I will never stop playing as him. Byleths play-style from what I have seen, to me, makes him a locked in secondary. Absolutely, the highlight of the fighters pass for me. I didn't know I needed this character, but I am so happy with what I see. I understand why they waiting until the 28th to release Pack 5 but....it is going to be a hard wait for me.

CircularSaw

Smash Rookie
I'm glad he's in. He's very unique and interesting. Plus, we don't have many Fire Emblem characters in the game.

Also, working on it in total secrecy so that the fans could speculate like crazy for months, and hyping the crap out of it at the beginning of the Direct was some genius ideas.

Last edited:

KingDoop

Smash Cadet
Love Three Houses, but Byleth was the worst part of that game. Imo silent avatars just don't work in fire emblem.

In smash though, she looks pretty cool. As someone who really only plays super heavyweights I gravitate towards slow read-based characters. Also all of their alts look great

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I'm not a fan and I feel like this was a bizzare character choice, considering that Nintendo and Sakurai clearly know how people feel about more Fire Emblem characters.
One with a unique weapon would have been cool but Byleth doesn't feel like that. Byleth feels like a swordsman with a few other abilities tacked on, making them little more than a halfway house between Corrin and Marth. Or, if you want to be especially harsh, Marth number 8.

I'm not going to get up in arms about this reveal, since I can just not buy the character, but it strikes me as a big miss-step, all the same.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I don’t like Fire Emblem and the last game I played was Awakening and only for like thirty minutes. I sold it back to the store. Just not my speed. Nor do I really main any FE characters (Marth in Melee tho but none now except maybe Ike when I wanna destroy stuff). I do think FE is largely over-represented in Smash and I do think it has to do with Sakurai’s appreciation of the series plus Nintendo promo. I would of been perfectly fine not getting Chrom and Byleth.

That being said, I am also not the type of bash a character or a fan base. I was happy to see FE and Byleth fans happy. The character looks beautiful plus total re-imagination of the swordie archetype, the stage looks amazing, and the music content looks fantastic. I was figuring that Byleth would show up in some fashion as it makes perfect sense. I had him more for a season 2 roster but I’m fine with Pass 1 ending with them. I guess it’s better to get Byleth now rather than the last character in Season 2...or 3.

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
I don't see smash as a check list, and I've become a bit desensitized to new characters knowing that my personal choices are too niche to be possible. Every new character is just a move set to me. All I care about is how fun they are, and how good they are, the next 6 characters could be fire emblem reps and I'd have the same stance.

Also keeping this as civil as possible; I understand how people can be unsatisfied if a character they don't want gets in, but I still don't understand how people could this upset over a single character in a game with 80 characters and 6 more on the way. If you really analyze it, nobody uses every character in the game consistently.

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
Might have a crazy opinion here, but I think Byleth is probably one of the more deserving FE characters to be in Smash, in the West.

Marth and Roy were big question marks for many, many people here in the West with Melee, and so was Ike with Brawl.

With Awakening blowing up here in the West (maybe thanks to just Marth, Roy & Ike,) Robin was more deserving to enter the roster too.

Lucina and Chrom are just too much of a clone I think to be deserving to be in the roster, sadly.

Three Houses blew up and probably became many people's GotY 2019. I think it made sense to give Byleth the character slot for any of the FE character slots in Smash. Now, I have my critique of Byleth as a character, since they are extremely boring, barely any personality if any, and isn't all that interesting.

Of course we can go into the whole discussion of 'deserving' and 'popular' and 'slots' and all that, but that wasn't the point here.

It's just an unfortunate circumstance for Byleth because people are tired of FE characters. But at least the moveset is unique, albeit looking a bit uninteresting.

KingDoop

Smash Cadet
Three Houses blew up and probably became many people's GotY 2019. I think it made sense to give Byleth the character slot for any of the FE character slots in Smash.
Problem is, all characters in the fighters pass were decided on long before Three Houses release. So it naturally leads to the question of why, as there cant be fan demand from a game still half a year away.

This, I believe, is what leads to the stigma against fire emblem characters. Byleth, Corrin and even Roy aren't being chosen for their merits, fan demand, or the quality of their games. Because none of these are known at the times of their inclusion. "Advertisement" seems to be all that's left. Call it sakurai bias or executive meddling but it's getting tiresome.

(all that being said, it looks like Byleth fits my playstyle and will likely become a main but shhhh!)

Nah

Smash Champion
I'm not a fan and I feel like this was a bizzare character choice, considering that Nintendo and Sakurai clearly know how people feel about more Fire Emblem characters.
I think that Byleth was chosen precisely because of how the Smash community feels about Fire Emblem in Smash.

The reveal trailer very plainly pokes fun at this community's hyperbolic reactions to anything FE making it into this series. It was done, in part, to troll the community, and I love Sakurai for doing it.

Oz o:

Smash Journeyman
I just want to say, I didn't expect of any of this. First off, it's pretty much the first time I'm genuinely interested in a DLC character. It's ironic, how a lot of the community doesn't seem to feel that way... the irony. <3 I get it. It's the trend, and not necesssarily a distaste towards the character itself- hell, I didn't even play Three Heroes Houses, yet.

So, yeah. The character, what about it? The design feels kind of different from the other Lords. Not just the visual design, but the whole moveset is just something else, entirely. The idle animations are also really cute (female Byleth's), and I never had much of an impression of them until now (and I play Heroes and had both).

I don't know why I'm so enthusiastic about. The only thing that could turn me off from the character is how they play, and precisely, how "slow" they might end up being...depending on that, I might stick around, or not. I really wish it was the 28th, already. ):

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
To be honest, I would have preferred them to introduce Byleth in Fighter's Pass #2 and give us someone like Dante, Master Chief, Crash Bandicoot or Lara Croft to keep the 3rd-Party theme of the first Fighter Pass. Well, at least characters from overrepped 1st-party franchises have better chances. Before, I thought someone like Byleth would have to be a bonus character that didn't count toward the Fighter Pass like Piranha Plant or become a newcomer for Smash 6.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
At the very least the situation isn't the exact same as Smash 4's DLC. Releasing Corrin as the last character was anti climatic; didn't bother me but I understand why people took it the way they did. But this time we got 6 more characters to look forward to.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It was an amazing feeling having them revealed, wasn't there for the moment though because I had work. I love Fire Emblem, and Three Houses is phenomenal game that I probably played more than Smash Ultimate. Byleth is also a very well written character overall, even if they're a bit more of a blank state than Robin and Corrin. It just... Fits.

Amazing how Sakurai handled the moveset as well and toyed with the fan notion of there being too many sword fighters. I think it's genius. Even though I probably would've preferred "canon Byleth" as in, Byleth using the Sword of the Creator more, as well as magic and brawling gauntlets. But this is fine too, as it represents Fire Emblem, Three Houses and the 3 House Lords extremely well, especially Dimitri, who's my favourite. So in a way, I got both Byleth and Dimitri in.

Best reveal after Banjo for sure.

Top Bottom