• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Operation Starfall: Bringing Life to SMRPG Again

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
It is actually rather public who it is if you've seen their postings on Twitter, but I'd rather not open up here anyhow, just in the chance that something doesn't work out and falls through. That being said, given they are a professional artist with their own company, they will have to go through Square Enix to be able to even get something like this done. Needless to say, this isn't something that will at all be short term. It may not even be possible. However, we are optimistic about at least trying!

Whatever the case, I feel this is still very helpful for our cause. Larger names reaching out to Square to utilize their long-forgotten properties with Nintendo will likely have them raising some eyebrows about their profitability. Even if the actual product falls through, I think this is still a win, but that's my optimism speaking for me.
This is going to be good

D

Deleted member

A tiny update that could end up being huge in the near future:

I may have gotten an incredibly talented graphic novelist interested in our project, and we may have something in the works regarding that. Nothing is set in stone yet, but I'm so excited that I had to drop this little hint. ;) Stay tuned...
It is actually rather public who it is if you've seen their postings on Twitter, but I'd rather not open up here anyhow, just in the chance that something doesn't work out and falls through. That being said, given they are a professional artist with their own company, they will have to go through Square Enix to be able to even get something like this done. Needless to say, this isn't something that will at all be short term. It may not even be possible. However, we are optimistic about at least trying!

Whatever the case, I feel this is still very helpful for our cause. Larger names reaching out to Square to utilize their long-forgotten properties with Nintendo will likely have them raising some eyebrows about their profitability. Even if the actual product falls through, I think this is still a win, but that's my optimism speaking for me.
Oh this is gonna be good! Can't wait!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, I have a weird question for you all. As someone who has for a long time known SMRPG from an outside perspective, I have always known what Smithy was and what he looked like. But for the player, you only ever saw Smithy at the end of the game. Anything beforehand was others talking about the guy, and heck, many players thought that Smithy was the sword itself, only realizing his name was Exor during the fight against him. So, what was your reaction to Smithy and his nature after all that buildup, especially when he went into his second phase?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You know, I have a weird question for you all. As someone who has for a long time known SMRPG from an outside perspective, I have always known what Smithy was and what he looked like. But for the player, you only ever saw Smithy at the end of the game. Anything beforehand was others talking about the guy, and heck, many players thought that Smithy was the sword itself, only realizing his name was Exor during the fight against him. So, what was your reaction to Smithy and his nature after all that buildup, especially when he went into his secound phase?
I actually wasn't careful and spoiled that part of the game for myself :(

D

Deleted member

You know, I have a weird question for you all. As someone who has for a long time known SMRPG from an outside perspective, I have always known what Smithy was and what he looked like. But for the player, you only ever saw Smithy at the end of the game. Anything beforehand was others talking about the guy, and heck, many players thought that Smithy was the sword itself, only realizing his name was Exor during the fight against him. So, what was your reaction to Smithy and his nature after all that buildup, especially when he went into his second phase?
Yeah I accidentally spoiled that for Myself. XD

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I got SMRPG and the strategy guide for my 6th birthday and pretty sure I read the whole thing voraciously after unwrapping because I loved to read and the art and designs were so cool. So safe to say I knew what Smithy looked like before I even played the game lol

D

Deleted member

I got SMRPG and the strategy guide for my 6th birthday and pretty sure I read the whole thing voraciously after unwrapping because I loved to read and the art and designs were so cool. So safe to say I knew what Smithy looked like before I even played the game lol
Good to know I'm not the only one who spoiled the game for myself XD

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
I'll put this in spoilers in case anyone hasn't played through all the way. I'd hate to mess that experience up for them.

So I was a kid at the time - like maybe 9 or 10 I think? It was a lot of buildup that felt kind of surreal. Course, I was just a kid when I played it the first time, but still. It was that moment of shock and awe when I saw him hammering. Even more kinda shocking was he didn't know or care we were here! I remember thinking, "We're the ones who've been beating your guys and thrashing your workshop!" It was a moment of dread, wondering if I was ready to actually take him on. Then the fight starts. The music set my adrenaline into overdrive and I felt like I was VERY not ready for this guy, who was the final big bad boss.

I guess the tldr is it felt like that moment when you see a massive storm rolling in and you just know ****'s about to get real.

Anyways that was his first form. He whipped my butt a few times before I beat his first form. I remember being elated, thinking, "I DID IT! I ACTUALLY DID IT! I BEAT THE GAME!"

And then his second form comes out and I remember feeling HYPER stressed the whole time. If first form was the storm, second form was the tornado that I realized I needed to get to the cellar from. Each time he morphed his head, I kept going, "WHAT DO I DO NOW!?" He kicked my butt a few more times there before I beat him. Felt so good the first time I did though.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I actually wasn't careful and spoiled that part of the game for myself :(
It's nice to see that I am not alone on the whole "spoiling myself" thing. Growing up in the age of the internet can get frustrating at times when it comes to spoilers.
I recall doing that for Luigi's Mansion, and I did not even have a GameCube! I just wanted a cool video game book to read.
I'll put this in spoilers in case anyone hasn't played through all the way. I'd hate to mess that experience up for them.

So I was a kid at the time - like maybe 9 or 10 I think? It was a lot of buildup that felt kind of surreal. Course, I was just a kid when I played it the first time, but still. It was that moment of shock and awe when I saw him hammering. Even more kinda shocking was he didn't know or care we were here! I remember thinking, "We're the ones who've been beating your guys and thrashing your workshop!" It was a moment of dread, wondering if I was ready to actually take him on. Then the fight starts. The music set my adrenaline into overdrive and I felt like I was VERY not ready for this guy, who was the final big bad boss.

I guess the tldr is it felt like that moment when you see a massive storm rolling in and you just know ****'s about to get real.

Anyways that was his first form. He whipped my butt a few times before I beat his first form. I remember being elated, thinking, "I DID IT! I ACTUALLY DID IT! I BEAT THE GAME!"

And then his second form comes out and I remember feeling HYPER stressed the whole time. If first form was the storm, second form was the tornado that I realized I needed to get to the cellar from. Each time he morphed his head, I kept going, "WHAT DO I DO NOW!?" He kicked my butt a few more times there before I beat him. Felt so good the first time I did though.
This was very cool to hear. Smithy was very apathetic to the whole situation in the first phase, only releasing his full power when you managed to tick him off and he destroys the floor. Heck, his introduction is kinda how I imagine an evil Santa would introduce himself.

Super_Queijo

Smash Apprentice
I played SMRPG the first time when I was like 5-6 years old, I didn't know at all that he had a second form. The first form was not that hard if I remember, but I did went all in with my MP and itens. Then, when I found out that he had a freaking ugly 2nd form (he kinda creeped me out, specially with the music and background), I did get nervous, but I managed to beat him the first time.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So, I have been thinking about that whole graphic novel thing from earlier and recalled some things. One, I remembered Geno and Mallow appeared in Super Mario Kun. That does show they can appear in stuff like this, though Super Mario Kun is a strange thing. Kinda silly looking. Second, all of this reminded me of the Super Mario Adventures that was on Nintendo Power. From what I hear, it is one of the most beloved Mario adaptations in a series with many bad adaptations, so it could be a good thing to take notes from when it comes to adapting Mario. Perhaps it would make Toadstool kick some serious *** again.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Because it was talked about before, I wanted to share my ideas for what characters could represent certain tarot cards. Keep in mind, it's not a complete list, and there is probably characters who better fit other cards, so I am open to others ideas.
0/XXII — The Fool: Mario

I — The Magician: Mallow

II — The Priestess: Geno

III — The Empress: Princess Toadstool

IV — The Emperor: Bowser

V — The Hierophant: Frogfucius

VII — The Chariot: Boshi

XIII — Death: Culex

XVI — The Tower: Exor

XVIII — The Moon: Belome

XIX — The Sun: The Goomba family

XX — Judgement: Smithy’s Factory

XXI — The World: Star Road
Wait, Booster isn't the Fool or the Tower?

Awww man.

D

Deleted member

So I don't remember if anyone brought this up or not but while I was looking for suggestions on what Gamecube games I should try out I watched one of The Completionist's videos on that and apparently he's also a fan of SMRPG basically saying "SMRPG is one of my favorite Mario games". Jusr another Youtuber we could try and reach out to.

Also Goodnight Genobros!

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Hey, all!

Not much of an update, but a notice that I'll be unavailable this whole weekend until late on Monday. If anyone has any feedback, please post it here and mention me, and I'll get back to it when I return.

Thank you!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
With antagonist you mean enemy right? Cuz the only antagonist would be Smithy,..
My favourite boss is Jhonny
My favourite enemy is
Just any character that gets in your way throughout the story. Smithy is the big bad of the story, as well as an antagonist.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
I think just about any of the main bosses from Smithy are great - Mack, Bowyer, Yaridovich, the Axem Rangers, Exor.
In terms of normal enemies...I guess Shysters. BOING BOING BOING

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
My favorite antagonists were Yaridovich , and Valentina/Dodo.

Also , not using the koopalings was a wasted opportunity. I know that Bowser's castle was out of reach , but a side-quest involving finding all of them could have been very fun.
But I don't know if they had any kind of personnality in the olders games...(I think they had personnality in Super Mario Kun and most Mario comic book)

Concerning Geno/Mallow's appearance in Super Mario Kun , I think they appeared pretty late in the serie... Maybe since that needeed negotiations with SE , and that SMRPG wasn't released in Europe before the Wii VC release?

513.png

A picture of how they look like in Super Mario Kun. (source: https://knowyourmeme.com/photos/1416233-geno )

I couldn't find on wich tome they appeared in the wiki... Maybe it was a japanese exclusive? I should continue to buy those manga tho , I bought way too much video games recently lol...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Also , not using the koopalings was a wasted opportunity. I know that Bowser's castle was out of reach , but a side-quest involving finding all of them could have been very fun.
But I don't know if they had any kind of personnality in the olders games...(I think they had personnality in Super Mario Kun and most Mario comic book)

Concerning Geno/Mallow's appearance in Super Mario Kun , I think they appeared pretty late in the serie... Maybe since that needeed negotiations with SE , and that SMRPG wasn't released in Europe before the Wii VC release?

View attachment 186441
A picture of how they look like in Super Mario Kun. (source: https://knowyourmeme.com/photos/1416233-geno )

I couldn't find on wich tome they appeared in the wiki... Maybe it was a japanese exclusive? I should continue to buy those manga tho , I bought way too much video games recently lol...
Maybe the Koopalings could be in an SMRPG remake

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Well , they were in the Superstar saga remake , Color Splash , and will be in the Bowser Inside Story remake... So it wouldn't surprise me if they try to add them in a SMRPG remake. Maybe something similar to Bowser's Minions?

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
If they added in more character's, that could be intresting. SMRPG was pretty much all story and wasted no time for filler, so there is kinda an opening. Would lengthen the play time a bit, as SMRPG is a shorter game.

D

Deleted member

Well , they were in the Superstar saga remake , Color Splash , and will be in the Bowser Inside Story remake... So it wouldn't surprise me if they try to add them in a SMRPG remake. Maybe something similar to Bowser's Minions?
That would be really neat.

If they added in more character's, that could be intresting. SMRPG was pretty much all story and wasted no time for filler, so there is kinda an opening. Would lengthen the play time a bit, as SMRPG is a shorter game.
Koopalings, Luigi, Rosalina and the Lumas, and this is a huge stretch (ridiculously huge stretch at that), but....Pauline?

There is a lot of potential for more characters in SMRPG

Freduardo

Smash Champion
No filler?

But I found Link and Samus.

And Beetle Minigame!

I guess it was light on the sidequests.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
No filler?

But I found Link and Samus.

And Beetle Minigame!

I guess it was light on the sidequests.
But all of that is side stuff or cool little cameos. I am talking in story moments. There was no moment where the story took a break to lengthen the play time, like a lot of RPGs do.

Last edited:

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
Just any character that gets in your way throughout the story. Smithy is the big bad of the story, as well as an antagonist.
For me it is hands down the Axem rangers they had lots of personality compared to the rest of the Smithy gang

D

Deleted member

Question, who was your favorite antagonist in the game?
Probably Booster so far, Booster is pretty funny and I had a good time when facing him and running around his tower. He also kinda reminds me of Wario who besides Geno is my favorite Mario character cause he's such a funny jerk it becomes kinda endearing. So yeah It's probably Booster so far.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
That would be really neat.

Koopalings, Luigi, Rosalina and the Lumas, and this is a huge stretch (ridiculously huge stretch at that), but....Pauline?

There is a lot of potential for more characters in SMRPG
Luigi was in the SMRPG credits tho! He even have a different costume , and there is a mod of it in Sm4sh!

But yeah , he would fit in perfectly as an optional party member.
He could either be a Mario clone in a similar way to Smash (His weakness and strenght are similar to Mario , but completely exagerated)or he would use the polteirgust... You could even add Egadd , and could upgrade the polteirgust as the story goes! He could even build/upgrade equipements for others party members! It would actually be funny to see interaction bewteen Egadd and Geno , because of Geno's arm canon.

D

Deleted member

Luigi was in the SMRPG credits tho! He even have a different costume , and there is a mod of it in Sm4sh!

He could either be a Mario clone in a similar way to Smash (His weakness and strenght are similar to Mario , but completely exagerated)or he would use the polteirgust... You could even add Egadd , and could upgrade the polteirgust as the story goes! He could even build/upgrade equipements for others party members! It would actually be funny to see interaction bewteen Egadd and Geno , because of Geno's arm canon.
I think Luigi should appear as an actual character in the story though :D

Him, Yoshi, Boshi, Croco, maaaaybe Booster would all be really good party members.

And now that you mention it, Egadd would be a nice character addition to SMRPG

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

View attachment 186441

Not that SE negotiations would affect much, since the author tends to restart story arcs.

At any rate, Soleil licensed the series sometime ago and will be covering the Yoshi's Story arc soon, so eventually I'll find out if they do get to cover the SMRPG one.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229

Him, Yoshi, Boshi, Croco, maaaaybe Booster would all be really good party members.

... Actually , since you never fight Booster , and hold Peach in hostage because he wanted to "marry a woman from the sky" , maybe he can join you later on to find another one? Because after the marrymore cake fight , you don't see him until the credits when he "marry" Valentina at Marrymore. You never fight him directly actually. And the cake wasn't planned , and he just ate it lol

Or you know , let's just add Dodo as a playable party member. Jk Jk

D

Deleted member

... Actually , since you never fight Booster , and hold Peach in hostage because he wanted to "marry a woman from the sky" , maybe he can join you later on to find another one? Because after the marrymore cake fight , you don't see him until the credits when he "marry" Valentina at Marrymore. You never fight him directly actually. And the cake wasn't planned , and he just ate it lol

I never thought about that. Maybe he could.

I feel like Dodo would work better as an NPC, maybe someone you could buy equipment from lol

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

Actually, you do fight Booster if you fail the curtain mini game.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627

Y'all talking about me?

Top Bottom