• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Operation Starfall: Bringing Life to SMRPG Again

link2702

Smash Champion
It might have something to do with Geno's chances being so high for the base roster for Ultimate and many people believing that, so the Geno haters might've wanted to stay silent because not a lot of people would agree with them. After Geno wasn't in the Ultimate base roster, people thought his chances dropped, and I guess the Geno haters were more vocal because more people agreed with them...? Idk honestly.

I still have faith he will make it into wave 1 DLC though :D

I actually don't think this question has been asked in the Geno thread, but what is everyone's favorite moment in Super Mario RPG?

Mine is "Yo, Smithy!"
When Mario tries to rush into battle against bowyer, and mallow stops him asking “Who do you think you are, Bruce Lee?!?”

Oh also the rose town gardener when you bring him everything and he goes nuts.

...annnd the part where if you try to leave marrymore from the wrong way and get scolded by everyone...

....annnnnd also the moment when Mario tried to punch gaz....

.....there’s too many great moments in the game for me to narrow it down to just one.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Excellent idea, besides they have made an apparence in Super Mario Bros.Z. You know, that big unofficial crossover in sprite animation of 2012 made by Alvin Earthworm between the Mario and the Sonic universes. This series definitely made the childhood of a lot of people in Youtube back in the days so I'm pretty sure a lot of person will recongnize them ;)
Still the best sprite animation series ever. I'm sad that it got cancelled in 2010, but just think if Alvin NEVER cancelled his series, I think he would've been working on the Smithy saga by now. By the way, SMBZ started in 2006, not 2012. ;)

And it's almost been three years since the SMBZ reboot's first episode got released. If Alvin was continuing the reboot, I think we would be on the episode where Mario and the others fight the Koopa Brothers and Axem Rangers X on Yoshi's Island, or we'd possibly be on the King Boo episode (The Pipe Maze replacement episode). I believe the only reason why he stopped it is because of personal issues, lost the spirit to animate again, and because Nintendo decided to be the villain and shutdown his Patreon page. Now that Nintendo has a new president, and they're starting to lay off on fan-made Nintendo content, I wonder how they'll feel about it now. Either way, I think it's too late for him to continue the reboot now. I actually would've preferred a continuation from Episode 9 - Scene 1. I don't think we'll ever get a good sprite animation series like this ever again; a lot of sprite animations don't have that same spirit like they did all those years ago.

D

Deleted member

When Mario tries to rush into battle against bowyer, and mallow stops him asking “Who do you think you are, Bruce Lee?!?”

Oh also the rose town gardener when you bring him everything and he goes nuts.

...annnd the part where if you try to leave marrymore from the wrong way and get scolded by everyone...

....annnnnd also the moment when Mario tried to punch gaz....

.....there’s too many great moments in the game for me to narrow it down to just one.
The "Who do you think you are, Bruce Lee?!?" moment was awesome.

There are too many great moments in SMRPG. They could make more moments like those in a remake of the game. Which is what I am hoping for :D

FurretBro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FurretBro
It might have something to do with Geno's chances being so high for the base roster for Ultimate and many people believing that, so the Geno haters might've wanted to stay silent because not a lot of people would agree with them. After Geno wasn't in the Ultimate base roster, people thought his chances dropped, and I guess the Geno haters were more vocal because more people agreed with them...? Idk honestly.

I actually don't think this question has been asked in the Geno thread, but what is everyone's favorite moment in Super Mario RPG?

Mine is "Yo, Smithy!"
"Because you are... IDIOT!"

link2702

Smash Champion
You missed !

That box drove me insane when i was younger, I kept thinking there had to be some super secret item you could get from it but only if you did some sort of thing beforehand first, I couldn’t accept that the developers just left that as a gag and nothing else...

Even to this day I still have that nagging feeling there’s something secret about it... like maybe you gotta find all the other invisible treasures first before hitting that one....

Last edited:

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
I'm not sure what my favorite moment of Super Mario RPG is, but I really like the sequence where Mario is disguised as a gold statue and has to avoid being pecked by Dodo. Simultaneously hilarious and nerve-wracking at the same time.

Also, a moment a lot of people forget, when ♥♪!? first possesses the Geno doll, and immediately bumps into a wall.

SpeedBirds

Smash Rookie
Still the best sprite animation series ever. I'm sad that it got cancelled in 2010, but just think if Alvin NEVER cancelled his series, I think he would've been working on the Smithy saga by now. By the way, SMBZ started in 2006, not 2012. ;)
The series THAT old ? I didn't know about this. 2012 must have been the first time I've watch the series then :p

Super_Queijo

Smash Apprentice
With the recent talk about making a subreddit after Erdrick’s reveal, I want just to point out that there isn’t a SMRPG yet, there’s one for Paper Mario, one for M&L, one for all Mario’s RPG but not one especifically for our game, I think it would be better than making one just for Starfall

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Mine is "Yo, Smithy!"
All the times when the Rose Town gardener was excited were howlers.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Ovaltine Ovaltine Of course I'm on board. SMRPG at AVGQ is tomorrow night so start thinking of stories to share and set aside 5-10 dollars to spare.

https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule

Add in: I'll try to be involved. I'm feeling a little down right now because I'm literally one challenge away from beating Smash Ultimate 100% and trying to not let my disappointment make me pull back too much from the community. Aside from 64, all the Smash games took me months to beat and the fact that I'm almost done despite only being at it for roughly 3 weeks kind of bums me out.

Last edited:

SpeedBirds

Smash Rookie
Ovaltine Ovaltine Of course I'm on board. SMRPG at AVGQ is tomorrow night so start thinking of stories to share and set aside 5-10 dollars to spare.

https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule

Add in: I'll try to be involved. I'm feeling a little down right now because I'm literally one challenge away from beating Smash Ultimate 100% and trying to not let my disappointment make me pull back too much from the community. Aside from 64, all the Smash games took me months to beat and the fact that I'm almost done despite only being at it for roughly 3 weeks kind of bums me out.
Which challenge you're missing ?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
What do you think would be changed if we got a SMRPG remake? Both little and big. I imagine they will have a new English script for the game at least, as well as refer to Toadstool as Peach like in modern Mario games.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Which challenge you're missing ?
200 quickplay battles. I think I'm at 137 right now so I'll probably get it sometime tomorrow. Still, none of the challenges were really challenging this time (the fact they give you so many hammers is kind of laughable), WoL is incredibly forgettable, and Spirits mode is literally Events mode times 20 but with ways to hardcore cheese most of the matches. Despite being the "Ultimate" Smash, the single player experience is probably the weakest of the whole series when it comes to content.

Pikacraft64

Smash Rookie
SMRPG was my childhood since for awhile, we couldn’t afford a Wii, so my dad let me play his SNES. I can’t do much, but maybe a website for this could help.

D

Deleted member

late to the party but i am here!
Welcome! :)

What do you think would be changed if we got a SMRPG remake? Both little and big. I imagine they will have a new English script for the game at least, as well as refer to Toadstool as Peach like in modern Mario games.
Maybe make the equipment visible and design it like the equipment art

SMRPG was my childhood since for awhile, we couldn’t afford a Wii, so my dad let me play his SNES. I can’t do much, but maybe a website for this could help.
That is another good idea

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
The article itself didn't really seem to attract positive attention, but what can ya do? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
True, but I would not say it's overtly negative either. Just not sure that something like this would work.

Edit: I am referring to the article itself.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Hey guys, Nintendo Life got my message!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...mario_rpgs_geno_and_mallow_in_online_petition

We got a story :)

Edit: Unless more of us than just me wrote to them, in which case, even better! :)
That's amazing! I know the attention it's garnered is mostly rather negative, but I can't even say that there's a such thing as bad publicity at this point. Anything to get the name out there is progress enough, and let's be real: this is the exact stuff people were saying about Kutthroats. Look at where their hard work got them.

Maybe we should check with Ovaltine Ovaltine before making a website. It's a good idea though
A website would be a good idea, but I think social media presence should be our primary focus. That can come after as a sort of general hub for everything related to the operation.

Pikacraft64

Smash Rookie
That's amazing! I know the attention it's garnered is mostly rather negative, but I can't even say that there's a such thing as bad publicity at this point. Anything to get the name out there is progress enough, and let's be real: this is the exact stuff people were saying about Kutthroats. Look at where their hard work got them.

A website would be a good idea, but I think social media presence should be our primary focus. That can come after as a sort of general hub for everything related to the operation.
I was thinking the site could be used to link to the change.org petition, explain the story of Super Mario RPG, and other tools to help

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Yep! I'm looking around at other places to write in as well. We may only get that, but if we get the word out, then we can at least get people to look and see what they think. :)

The article itself didn't really seem to attract positive attention, but what can ya do? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I't's weird, most of them think this petition is only relating to Smash. There's one sensible comment, though:

"I like how people automatically focus on the Smash request, despite it being third in a list of three requests. The first one - a remake or true sequel to Super Mario RPG - is quite sensible and many people would really like it."

In any case, tho, we should just ignore the haters that may stick their heads out and laugh.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I was thinking the site could be used to link to the change.org petition, explain the story of Super Mario RPG, and other tools to help
Of course, and that is very helpful! We do need to really focus on social media presence and link social media to the site ASAP, though. Thanks for registering that domain, though. Your help is seriously appreciated.

I't's weird, most of them think this petition is only relating to Smash. There's one sensible comment, though:

"I like how people automatically focus on the Smash request, despite it being third in a list of three requests. The first one - a remake or true sequel to Super Mario RPG - is quite sensible and many people would really like it."

In any case, tho, we should just ignore the haters that may stick their heads out and laugh.
The Smash request is one that a lot of us would love, but even in as much as I'd love Geno in Smash, it's... frankly pretty optional for me? A return for him and Mallow in the mainstream is the focus here. They would have a lot to contribute, Mallow character-wise and Geno lore-wise (and potentially character-wise if they do a better job at developing him).

People may laugh and point at this as an 'entitlement' problem, but really, it isn't. We aren't entitled to anything. We simply want to get our voices out there and to be heard. Even if no fruit comes of it, we will have made an impact, and we can safely say we did all we could. Are we entitled to anything? Absolutely not. Would we love a good outcome for this, though? Absolutely. There's quite a difference.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

Yeah, listening to the haters, especially with how many are treating this only as a Smash petition and not for SMRPG as a whole, is not worth the time.

Last edited:

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
So just as an update, I've emailed our information to:
Nintendo Life
Nintendo Everything
Nintendo Enthusiast
Polygon
My Nintendo News

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Nintendo Life
Nintendo Everything
Nintendo Enthusiast
Polygon
My Nintendo News
Let's make sure not to go too fast now. Attention is great, but it should be steady over time.

Last edited:

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo Life
Nintendo Everything
Nintendo Enthusiast
Polygon
My Nintendo News
Nintendo Everything and MNN were good choices, the rest not so much, as they tend to be a lot less positive about things. Esp Polygon.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Let's make sure not to go to fast now. Attention is great, but it should be steady over time.
Agreed. I figured I was gonna stop and see how it goes from those.

Nintendo Everything and MNN were good choices, the rest not so much, as they tend to be a lot less positive about things. Esp Polygon.
Ah I mostly went for the bigger named ones I knew about and see a lot. But actually, I get it.

Top Bottom