• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Operation Starfall: Bringing Life to SMRPG Again

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Also, McJuggerNuggets's favorite game is SMRPG!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Yeah, for reals. Look:
https://twitter.com/McJuggerNuggets/status/810739445792116736

He even said on one of his Q&A's that his favorite game of all time is Super Mario RPG and it's what got him into gaming and stuff, as said on his series wiki.
I haven't watched him in ages but I remember in one of his random videos from long ago, he also said it's his favorite game.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Since this project is in the early stages right now, I took some time to do some research on other fan projects that were mentioned in the thread, like Operation Moonfall and Rainfall. I’ve put together some of my findings in this thread that I thought were useful. Be warned, it’s a bit lengthy.

The first one I looked at was Operation Rainfall:
1. The campaign was both digital and physical. An all digital campaign would’ve been easier to delete and ignore, so the campaign used physical and digital forms of media to get their campaign across to Nintendo.

2. There was a deadline. I don’t necessarily think we’ll need one, but it might help so the rate at which we campaign doesn’t falter or hit a brick wall.

3. The campaign drew in considerable media attention. I think for this to become very successful, we’ll need some sort of major media coverage. Is it impossible without it? No, but would it be more effective with it? Of course.

4. The campaign was very civil. Actions speak louder than words, and I think the civil and respectful campaigning appealed greatly to Nintendo. Sure, they may not be the most receptive company, but they really listened when it came to civil protesting.

Next, I looked at Operation Moonfall:
1. The campaign had a petition. But hey look, we also have one! If you haven’t signed it already, please do, it helps out this cause a lot.

2. The campaign reached out to the Japanese market. I think this is important for us to do as well, since Nintendo of Japan and Square Enix are closely connected to Super Mario RPG.

3. The campaign started a kickstarter, in which they raised money to send posters to Nintendo. I think this is a good idea, if we wanted to send in something to Nintendo besides stuff like letters.

This is probably scratching the surface, but I wanted to offer some insight on these past projects and how they could help our cause.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

Could use this little portion of the opening cutscene where Exor descends from space with fractions of Star Road orbiting him as a logo if it's not too complicated. Shows off Exor and makes sense with our project name.

This image from the game would also make for a pretty nice logo.
Perhaps we could do a mix of both these images, like Exor going through the big star in the second image. Many fan works have done something similar.
If you're going for an icon it should be simple and straight to the point, you could easily go with the star hill idea, but simply have geno as the silhouette that makes the keyhole.
That would be cool, but would focusing on Geno specifically be a good idea?
Since this project is in the early stages right now, I took some time to do some research on other fan projects that were mentioned in the thread, like Operation Moonfall and Rainfall. I’ve put together some of my findings in this thread that I thought were useful. Be warned, it’s a bit lengthy.

1. The campaign was both digital and physical. An all digital campaign would’ve been easier to delete and ignore, so the campaign used physical and digital forms of media to get their campaign across to Nintendo.

2. There was a deadline. I don’t necessarily think we’ll need one, but it might help so the rate at which we campaign doesn’t falter or hit a brick wall.

3. The campaign drew in considerable media attention. I think for this to become very successful, we’ll need some sort of major media coverage. Is it impossible without it? No, but would it be more effective with it? Of course.

4. The campaign was very civil. Actions speak louder than words, and I think the civil and respectful campaigning appealed greatly to Nintendo. Sure, they may not be the most receptive company, but they really listened when it came to civil protesting.

1. The campaign had a petition. But hey look, we also have one! If you haven’t signed it already, please do, it helps out this cause a lot.

2. The campaign reached out to the Japanese market. I think this is important for us to do as well, since Nintendo of Japan and Square Enix are closely connected to Super Mario RPG.

3. The campaign started a kickstarter, in which they raised money to send posters to Nintendo. I think this is a good idea, if we wanted to send in something to Nintendo besides stuff like letters.

This is probably scratching the surface, but I wanted to offer some insight on these past projects and how they could help our cause.
This is all good to note. Perhaps we can get more in depth info of these methods through info from people who were apart of the operations. There social media and websites and so forth is still running, so there is a chance we can get in contact with people.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, for reals. Look:
https://twitter.com/McJuggerNuggets/status/810739445792116736

He even said on one of his Q&A's that his favorite game of all time is Super Mario RPG and it's what got him into gaming and stuff, as said on his series wiki.
I haven't watched him in ages but I remember in one of his random videos from long ago, he also said it's his favorite game.
I legitimately can't believe it. All these YouTubers and gamers will definitely help our cause.

Anyways, good night everyone :)

BoyMan

Smash Cadet

I want to echo this point. Showing Nintendo some tangible evidence of this fanbase's commitment will probably look much more impressive than keeping this all digital
Perhaps we could do a mix of both these images, like Exor going through the big star in the second image. Many fan works have done something similar.
I like this idea a lot. Exor and the star motif seem like the most recognizably Mario RPG things visually.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
That would be cool, but would focusing on Geno specifically be a good idea?
A fair point, could also have exor as the silhouette, giving a little nod to the continuity of him crashing through the star road.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I can probably mock something up in the next couple days or so if nobody else gets to it
That would be a good plan, but I wonder if we should decide on this sort of thing when it's more active and we can get more opinions and perspectives.

Dynamic Worlok

That would be a good plan, but I wonder if we should decide on this sort of thing when it's more active and we can get more opinions and perspectives.
That's the point of a mockup. It's not the final, so you can still workshop it

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
We doin' this?!

Absolutely! I'm all about it. Here's another signature for the petition.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

The part about the Japanese market makes me wonder if there’s a Japanese equivalent to Smash Boards or something similar and if so if they also have Geno supporters. Even if there’s not there definitely are a lot of Geno fans in Japan considering he ranks so highly in polls and I think it would be a good idea to reach out and possibly recruit people from those types of communities as there are a ton of super talented Japanese artists and animators out there. It would also show Nintendo that it’s not just “The West” pushing for Geno’s return.

Edit: The individual who made this amazing 20th anniversary video for SMRPG is Japanese. Maybe someone from here could reach out to them?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ8UCz8UpDk

Last edited:

Fred Herbert

Smash Rookie
Although it isn't likely, I'm really hoping we'll see a DLC pack 2 named "Spirits Reborn" where 5 spirits are returned to their bodies in order to take part in the battle. This would make perfect sense for Geno to make a comeback. I could envision his trailer showing a wandering spirit trying to find It's original body as it flies around a room of toys. It then enters its original body (Being Geno's) bringing the Star Child back into the spotlight after 20 yearsh.

Fred Herbert

Smash Rookie
Although it isn't likely, I'm really hoping we'll see a DLC pack 2 named "Spirits Reborn" where 5 spirits are returned to their bodies in order to take part in the battle. This would make perfect sense for Geno to make a comeback. I could envision his trailer showing a wandering spirit trying to find It's original body as it flies around a room of toys. It then enters its original body (Being Geno's) bringing the Star Child back into the spotlight after 20 yearsh.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Sorry for replying so late, but yes I do have a Wii U
SMRPG is available on the Wii U eshop for 8 dollars if you want to play it. There's also savestates.

Also , someone mentionned the kickstarter from operation MoonFall.
I think it would be a great idea , since we have a lot of artists here , making SMRPG themed poster would be a Good start. And It's pretty "easy" to start with , it doesn't have any copyright issue neither , if we do it for free and only use the money for drawings tools/sending it to Square/Nintendo.
Also I want to see Ovaltine draw Mallow in Strikers art style , or even a whole Strikers SMRPG style team. I love your drawings Ovaltine lol

SpeedBirds

Smash Rookie
So I've just shared the existence of the operation on the Smash forum of a french site called Jeuxvideo.com since I'm french myself. Hope this will work, despite the relation between the Europe and SMRPG.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Good morning, everyone! Addressing some points:

(snip)
These are all things I have noted by now, as well, but great job putting this down in a comprehensive list. I think a physical way of showing our support would be excellent.

To this, I propose something:

For the anniversary of SMRPG, we all pool together and send letters to both Nintendo's and Square Enix's offices. Yes, actual, physical letters. Emails are simple to delete, after all, but physical letters are to be read. There is no way they can ignore that kind of outpour. If we have enough support by then, we can make a huge splash. It is also the most feasible way to reach Square in particular, who should really be our biggest focus. Their digital presence in regards to feedback is little to nothing, unfortunately, so physical is the best way to get to them.

So I've just shared the existence of the operation on the Smash forum of a french site called Jeuxvideo.com since I'm french myself. Hope this will work, despite the relation between the Europe and SMRPG.
That is such an excellent idea. They're a pretty large forum and EU website, so if that gets broadcasted well enough there, it will make some waves.

Some good places to start, maybe:

https://www.facebook.com/OperationMoonfall
https://twitter.com/OpMoonfall/
http://operationrainfall.com/

Edit: Maybe Ovaltine Ovaltine Ovaltine Ovaltine could try to make contact since he's the initiator of the project? Idk... i'm just brainstorming.
I will attempt to reach them, yes! However, I am but one person, so I suggest that a few others attempt to reach out, as well, just in case. Don't absolutely bombard them, though, please.

(Also, ah, that would be 'she', actually.)

Super_Queijo

Smash Apprentice
Hey fellas, tried my best to spread the word on Reddit (there were a couple of big subreddits that don’t allow that kind of posting, I will see how I can bypass this). With how much likes and positive posts I got, we got at least more 25 supporters (it’s probably more) in less than 24hs, so I think that’s good. I contacted a Tumblr Fansite (if you put “Super Mario RPG fansite” on google is on the 1st page) to see if the owner can help us and I’m trying to post on Gonintendo forums (still waiting my account aproval from the moderators).

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Good morning, everyone! Addressing some points:

These are all things I have noted by now, as well, but great job putting this down in a comprehensive list. I think a physical way of showing our support would be excellent.

To this, I propose something:

For the anniversary of SMRPG, we all pool together and send letters to both Nintendo's and Square Enix's offices. Yes, actual, physical letters. Emails are simple to delete, after all, but physical letters are to be read. There is no way they can ignore that kind of outpour. If we have enough support by then, we can make a huge splash. It is also the most feasible way to reach Square in particular, who should really be our biggest focus. Their digital presence in regards to feedback is little to nothing, unfortunately, so physical is the best way to get to them.

That is such an excellent idea. They're a pretty large forum and EU website, so if that gets broadcasted well enough there, it will make some waves.

I will attempt to reach them, yes! However, I am but one person, so I suggest that a few others attempt to reach out, as well, just in case. Don't absolutely bombard them, though, please.

I'm okay with the letter idea , but what are Square Enix office address?
Because if It's only in Japan , I don't know if they would bother to ask someone to translate them...

If there is a Amercia/Europe office for Square Enix , then I'll see if I can send a letter.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Other fangame idea:

Make a party out of “Frenemy” characters from this game (so bosses that weren’t in Smithy’s army mostly).

Johnny the Shark is the likely protagonist. With Booster and Croco being likely supporting characters. But who else? Valentina and Dodo? Jinx?

And of course, Luigi.

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

I made a quick and dirty little mockup. Let me know what you think/what you'd like to see implemented or changed

Oops! Sorry about that... :nervous:

Great initiative with this thread btw! If you need help with anything just tag me, tho i may not be the best to communicate with the other 'Operations', i still struggle a lil' bit with my english (it's not my 1st langage).

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I guess I can help you out if you want me to link the thread in my threads.

I had a busy week so I don't know what's going on, lol

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I made a quick and dirty little mockup. Let me know what you think/what you'd like to see implemented or changed
Text needs to be bigger in comparison to the rest of the logo. Also if the shine on the "O" is on a separate layer make sure the outline isn't part of that. It'd look better.

In general it's better if the shine doesn't interact with the outline

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

In general it's better if the shine doesn't interact with the outline
Didn't have much of a choice with the text, as I don't have the raw file. Just the PNG from the first post. Making it bigger, however will be a simple matter, though it will look crusty as hell until I have the original file (or at least a bigger PNG) to work with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom