• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OpenSmash

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752

I swear, we aren't dead.

OpenSmash is a free and open-source rewrite of Super Smash Bros in Unity3D. It is designed to be extremely customizable and is going to be deployed to Windows, Linux, and macOS, with console versions being made after if/when possible. OpenSmash intends to not only allow people to customize gameplay and content to how they want, but to also serve as a replacement to Brawl mods and hacks. It is being programmed with extensibility as the biggest priority.
It will feature 4's roster, with Brawl's cuts and 10 to 15 new characters. It will feature modes from various installments, like Board the Platforms, Break the Targets, Event Matches, Special Smash, Smash Run, and at a much later point, a SSE-like story mode. OpenSmash won't be just a game, either. It will be a full framework and engine for Unity, allowing people to easily create SSB-like games using it. OpenSmash's license hasn't been decided yet.

What is done so far
Publicly, we have a basic prototype done so far (made April 30, 2015). It has a camera system, basic knockback, KO detection (with shaking camera), a HUD, neutral A implemented, motion and jumping, basic ledge grabbing, basic crouching, and revival platforms. You can see the source code for that prototype on our GitHub repo. The codebase for the prototype is no longer being maintained and has been discontinued as of 2016.
We started over recently, so the April 30, 2015 prototype isn't reflective of our current progress anymore (really, it became outdated almost as fast as it came out). Right now, we have a MUCH better prototype that I plan on getting released by the end of this month. I haven't tested it for myself yet, so I don't know what's completed in it.

What we need
We need Unity3D programmers (C# and possibly UnityScript) for the engine and game implementation, a 3D modeler for new stages, 3D animators for characters/stages/items (includes rigging and texturing the models), concept artists for new content as well as the UI, reverse engineers to look for and document the working of Melee's and Brawl's engine and overall game mechanics, level designers for new stages, composers for new music, and sound designers for creating game sounds.

People helping with OpenSmash (as of November 2016)
WindozeNT WindozeNT - creator, project manager
BlankMauser - programmer
gameonion gameonion - UI designer
J Jeremycj - moveset writer
Nibroc - 3D modeler

@Courage_ - I'm not sure what he does anymore (was supposed to be a concept artist), inactive
Doc May Be - I can't remember what he does, inactive
George Xie - concept artist, inactive
Toren - programmer, inactive

Screenshots (as of the April 30, 2015 build - OUTDATED AS OF 2016)

Joining the team
A project as massive as OpenSmash will obviously take a long time to develop. We are looking for members who can work on the project for as long as possible. If you can help with OpenSmash's development, add me on Skype at windoze96 (we only use text -- calls aren't made) and you will be added to the OpenSmash developers group.

Links :4link:
We don't have a website.
GitHub repo for the prototype

Thank you and I look forward to working with you.
- WindozeNT

Last edited:

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
Hey! This looks like a cool project.

I was wondering.. Is there any way I could help out? I wanna try my shot as the announcer in the game you are working on. If it is possible, may you please PM me on lines and your roster you got so I could see what I got?

Thanks. Can't wait to hear from ya. ;)

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Hey! This looks like a cool project.

I was wondering.. Is there any way I could help out? I wanna try my shot as the announcer in the game you are working on. If it is possible, may you please PM me on lines and your roster you got so I could see what I got?

Thanks. Can't wait to hear from ya. ;)
Alright! Sent you a list of sample lines!

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
Okay, @ WindozeNT WindozeNT . I sent you the lines, plus extra character calls. I wasn't sure how you wanted the title thing so I said both of the first lines at once.

Smashhacker

Smash Rookie
This seems like a cool project. I always felt that Brawl modding is a bit limited, so it's great to see an alternative. I do have a couple of questions.

1. Will advanced techniques mechanics from all four Smash Bros (and Project M) be available in the final product of OpenSmash?
2. Can you customize the physics and mechanics in OpenSmash to resemble any of the Smash games in the final product of OpenSmash?
3. Can one make a smash game using only 2d sprites (like Super Smash Flash 2 or Super Smash Bros Crusade) in OpenSmash?
4. Would it be possible to code in a traditional super meter for Final Smashes in OpenSmash?
5. Will Alt Costumes be in the final build?

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
This seems like a cool project. I always felt that Brawl modding is a bit limited, so it's great to see an alternative. I do have a couple of questions.

1. Will advanced techniques mechanics from all four Smash Bros (and Project M) be available in the final product of OpenSmash?
2. Can you customize the physics and mechanics in OpenSmash to resemble any of the Smash games in the final product of OpenSmash?
3. Can one make a smash game using only 2d sprites (like Super Smash Flash 2 or Super Smash Bros Crusade) in OpenSmash?
4. Would it be possible to code in a traditional super meter for Final Smashes in OpenSmash?
5. Will Alt Costumes be in the final build?
1. Yes. New advanced techniques can even be added by users.
2. Absolutely everything in OpenSmash can be changed and customized. By default, it will probably ship with 4's settings.
3. Theoretically, you could. It's way too early to say whether you can use straight 2D sprites or if you'll have to pull a Mr. Game & Watch and flatten a 3D model. Ultimately, it all depends on Unity and its limitations. But it's likely.
4. It might end up being implemented as an engine extension, but it will be supported. OpenSmash is being designed to be extremely flexible.
5. Yes. The final product is planned to have everything every SSB installment has had. It will also feature modes that are exclusive to individual games, like 64's Board the Platforms, 64's/Melee's Break the Targets, Melee's Debug Mode, Brawl's story mode (with a different plot), and 4's Smash Run/8 Player Smash.

Disclaimer: all of this is subject to change as we're still in the early prototyping stages, though I'm expecting everything you listed to be possible.

Last edited:

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
Will alternate costumes be limited to palette swaps or will full-out model-swaps be available (such as Classic Wario, FemRobin, the Koopalings)?

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Will alternate costumes be limited to palette swaps or will full-out model-swaps be available (such as Classic Wario, FemRobin, the Koopalings)?
Like 4, it'll have both. Multiple characters can also share the same slot (so clones won't need to have a separate slot).

Last edited:

Smashhacker

Smash Rookie
Like 4, it'll have both. Multiple characters can also share the same slot (so clones won't need to have a separate slot).
When you say that multiple characters can also share the same slot, does that mean the alt character will have a clone/different moveset from the original character (like how Crusade handles alt characters; press a button to switch from pikachu to pichu) or that the alt character is basically an alt costume to the original character?

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
An update on OpenSmash's partnership with the developers of Genso Shoujokosen: Battle Maiden
Last night, the OpenSmash team and the team working on Genso Shoujokosen: Battle Maiden ultimately cut ties to each other. A few hours before, a developer of the Battle Maiden team had done some code cleanup (though broke the revival platform code) then later reverted the changes he made from the OpenSmash GitHub repo, supposedly moving it to a private repo, and declared disinterest in working alongside us. The OpenSmash team has concluded that the Battle Maiden devs were using us for our progress and actually had no interest in helping further the engine's development, either from the start or by recent decision.

Discussions that occurred in the Battle Maiden group suggest that before and especially during the partnership between the teams, they were attempting to create a prototype for their own engine (that wasn't any type of fork of OpenSmash), even though they agreed to use ours. These discussions also showed that after the release of the April 30th prototype of the OpenSmash engine, we had significantly more progress than their engine prototype. Since there hadn't been progress on the engine prototype since April 30th (as we were putting more work into game planning after the prototype commit and were discussing what we needed implemented next in the engine and how it would be done), they had 2 of their developers join the OpenSmash group to optimize the code (which they pushed back onto our repo). Yesterday (a day or so after their optimizations), there were talks in the OpenSmash group about how the physics and gravity would be implemented, as well as what the formulas for things like knockback were. A few hours after we had decided on how they would be implemented, the Battle Maiden developers who had joined our group left, reverting the optimizations they had made from our prototype, but kept and reuploaded their optimized version of our prototype to a private repo. They immediately removed members of the OpenSmash team from their group as well, stating that they did not want to continue working with us due to OpenSmash also being a game (which they knew good and well from the very start, and I made that very clear that OpenSmash was going to be 2 separate things when the projects partnered with each other). That is when their true intentions became apparent to the OpenSmash team.

While they did disassociate with us, they failed to keep us from having their optimized version of our engine as I had cloned it (as I do after every commit made to the repos) before it could be removed. I will have it recommitted soon. So OpenSmash and Battle Maiden are no longer being developed alongside each other.

tl;dr: The developers of Battle Maiden decided to use us for our progress when they were unable to make a prototype for their own separate engine. Ultimately, the OpenSmash team and the Battle Maiden team have split.

------------

When you say that multiple characters can also share the same slot, does that mean the alt character will have a clone/different moveset from the original character (like how Crusade handles alt characters; press a button to switch from pikachu to pichu) or that the alt character is basically an alt costume to the original character?
Multiple characters (like clones) that share the same slot are accessed like alts, but they can have completely different models, animations, movesets, and properties from the character they're sharing a slot with. However, we're planning on only doing this with full clones. Semiclones like Lucas will have different spots while full clones like Dark Pit will share slots with the character they're a clone of. A system like Zelda's/Sheik's in Brawl where you can click their portrait to switch is also planned for characters who can transform into other characters (though the only character in OpenSmash that is planned to do this is a new one that can switch into a different version of themself).

Mightyno.M

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mickeyx
3DS FC
4141-2356-8625
I like the idea but I doubt I can contribute (weird schedule and lack of experience)

I do hope to follow your progress to the end

Good luck project open smash

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
One last question: Will Zelda and Sheik be based on their Smash 4 movesets or their Melee/Brawl movesets where they can transform into each other. (Or are we getting both?)

Jeremycj

Smash Rookie
I Would Love To Be this "moveset writers and (series) researchers for new characters (and for stage ideas/mechanics)," How do i join?
(BTW my computer sucks so don't expect drawings, lol)

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
One last question: Will Zelda and Sheik be based on their Smash 4 movesets or their Melee/Brawl movesets where they can transform into each other. (Or are we getting both?)
Characters use their 4 appearances and moveset by default, but you could easily port their Brawl moveset over.

I Would Love To Be this "moveset writers and (series) researchers for new characters (and for stage ideas/mechanics)," How do i join?
(BTW my computer sucks so don't expect drawings, lol)
Read the Joining The Team section in the OP.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
So how often will u keep us up to date
date?

Still really curious
Right now we still need a lot more people, specifically programmers. But I'll make a post here whenever we make significant progress on something.

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
I have never programmed in unity before, but i am a decent programmer (Did things here and there in SSB Crusade, i still have some builds from it lol) and i would love to learn C# (already have experience in others languages, mostly Python and basic C)

gameonion

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gameonion
3DS FC
4382-1966-1902
If you guys need an UI-artist, just hit me up.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Just a minor update. The project is still active (in everywhere but where we need it to be), but we are still in severe need of people (specifically programmers). Also, since August, gameonion gameonion and Nibroc (both behind the fake Dr. Mario stage leak) have joined the team!

I have never programmed in unity before, but i am a decent programmer (Did things here and there in SSB Crusade, i still have some builds from it lol) and i would love to learn C# (already have experience in others languages, mostly Python and basic C)
Add me on Skype at windoze96 and I'll add you to the group.

Scribe

Sing, sing for ourselves alone.
Writing Team
NNID
KipShades
3DS FC
5241-1937-7022
Considering what happened with Project M, I'd say that a freeware/open source clone of Smash 4 would probably be a bad idea. Something closer to Brawl Plus and Brawl Minus as the basis for the default mechanics with some original characters inspired by Smash characters might be a better idea. In particular, I'd say your checklist should be:
  • Shotoclone - The design center of your game. A basic all-rounder with a projectile special (typically a fireball), a rising uppercut, and a spinning attack. Think Mario in Smash, Ryu and Ken in Street Fighter, Ragna in BlazBlue, Sol in Guilty Gear, and Zetterburn in Rivals of Aether.
  • Spacie - Standard Fox/Falco clone. Rapid fire laser, shine, straight horizontal side-b, multidirectional up-b Maybe something more non-standard like PM Wolf or Zetterburn in Rivals of Aether.
  • Rushdown - Something akin to Sheik or Captain Falcon. Falls into a few categories, including Momentum (exploits weaknesses. Think Sheik and ZSS), Mixup (Lucario, Pit, S4 Ness) and Beatdown (Think Cap and Roy)
  • Spacing character - Mid range character with a heavy focus on staying just close enough that you can hit your opponent, but just far away enough that they can't hit you. Think Marth, Ike, or Shulk with a bit of ZSS.
  • Zoner - Long range character with a focus on keeping opponents at bay. Think (Toon/Young) Link, Samus, Zelda, S4 Dedede, and RosaLuma
  • Heavy Powerhouse - Kinda slow, and kinda heavy, but hits hard. Look at Ganondorf and Ike in Smash, Kragg in Rivals of Aether, or Big Band in Skullgirls
  • Grappler - Something you don't really see much of in Smash. I'd say Brawl Dedede and Bowser are good examples. Particularly Brawl Minus Bowser, who has two extra command grapples (grounded neutral-b and aerial neutral-b, which both function differently). Iron Tager in BlazBlue is a somewhat iconic example of a grappler, as is Zangief in Street Fighter. Smash 4 Ike and Ness are also good semi-grapplers.

Gamerz31w

Smash Cadet
Excuse me shall you take a look of my EarthBound 64 concept art.I expect someone from you knows how Cry Engine works.

Scribe

Sing, sing for ourselves alone.
Writing Team
NNID
KipShades
3DS FC
5241-1937-7022
You shouldn't be advertising your project on someone else's forum topic.

Top Bottom