• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Open Source Smash Box controller

Eric Lotze

Smash Rookie
So i admit, am not too much of a melee enthusiast (Don't hurt me...)

BUT i have friends that are and heard the following problems (tell me if innacurate):

Using either old hardware, bad clones, or thrown together diy stuff

Recently the $229.99 B0XX has arrived to try and fix this, but

I think we can do better.

I propose a FULLY OPEN SOURCE, diy kit (or buy from a person who makes it for you) smashbox controller

It will be CAD Designed, so all the hard (outer shell etc) parts can be 3d printed (or cnc milled if you have one/a pile of money...)

Also since it is open source it can be customized any way you want (albeit with more dev hours/effort) to another "fork"

Since it will be designed by smash players, for smash players it should be to everyone's liking

AND since it will not be a for-profit project it should be cheaper than other options

ESPECIALLY if soldered and assembeled by you due to no labor cost, no factory run cost etc

Also be being designed for ease of maitnence, and with modularity in mind, it should be durable (hopefully as much as the original, if not more...) AND easily fixable

Thats the whole "salespitch bit" below there will be planning, data, feedback from all of you, and links to other pages.

Also as a disclaimer/not wanting to overhype:

This is in early planning/concept phase, so needs more dev time till it will be yours

Don't get scared off if you think this is "not-doable", as with off the shelf swithches (smd cherry mx anyone? idk what switches would be best?), PCBs that are diy etched/milled, or are from cheap prototype sites, and even an arduino nano as the "brains", it is doable.

And since it is open source, non-profit, and most likely (outside of friend/etsy for hire builds) diy, there is no need for factories/ "it being profitable" etc, just off the shelf components

It requires time and a group of developers + users, but that is the only limiting factor

Thanks, and please tell me what all of you legit mele fans/entusiasts think.

Eric Lotze

Smash Rookie
Also i am plotting a gamecube style controller, but the analog sticks will be more complex (rotary encoders perhaps) but possibly still doable

Also i think every official standard, etc can make their fork. So "official" ones, fancy ones, etc

Top Bottom