• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Opa-Opa Returns To Righteousness!

LennyMcOhMyGod

Smash Rookie
NNID
LennyMcOhMyGod
Switch FC
SW-0966-9376-5780
Hello!
I really like Fantasy Zone!
And to show my appreciation for it as well as just because I'm overall a big supporter of Opa-Opa in Smash, a long while back I made a Google Document about what that could possibly be like.
It has everything from the Reveal Trailer all the way to the Spirits.
And it was all made just for fun!
It would be very kind if you left a comment and told me how you feel about it. It would make my day greatly!
Thank you for reading!

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
ayyyyy, i think opa-opa actually might have some darkhorse potential seeing how he's more or less become sort of a "retro arcade mascot" for sega. plus he'd just be fun

LennyMcOhMyGod

Smash Rookie
NNID
LennyMcOhMyGod
Switch FC
SW-0966-9376-5780
ayyyyy, i think opa-opa actually might have some darkhorse potential seeing how he's more or less become sort of a "retro arcade mascot" for sega. plus he'd just be fun
I agree with all that you're saying! There's a lot of Sega's past that I really think he can represent well, especially because he was their actual first attempt at a mascot from their own games before he was quickly pushed aside for Alex Kidd.
He's also their most unique character in my opinion, so I think that makes him perfect as another Sega rep, which is definitely needed with just how much they've done for Video Games in their entirety.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Opa-Opa is one of my favorite Shmup characters ever and I think he'd be a great addition to Smash Bros. I always imagined his final Smash being the 16 ton weight. I wonder if Upa-Upa and Evil Opa-Opa would be alt colors.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Well, as a retro/obscure classic game and SEGA fan, I'll support this for sure. Of any non-represented genres, shoot 'em up deserves to be shown in Smash.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Well, as a retro/obscure classic game and SEGA fan, I'll support this for sure. Of any non-represented genres, shoot 'em up deserves to be shown in Smash.
As a huge shoot-em-up fan myself, I would love to get a shoot em up rep and Opa-Opa ranks high on my list. Heck, I wish Sega made an Opa-Opa plush.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
So, here's my moveset concept of Opa-Opa and Harrier as a dual character I already shared on a Space Harrier thread, with the latter being a main character who the player controls with Opa-Opa as a CPU assist like Nana (for Popo) and Luma (for Rosalina), assisting Harrier in some of his attacks like options in shoot 'em up games. When Harrier is KO'd, Opa-Opa immediately exploes similarly to a latter (Luma) and Mega Man.

For their shields, Harrier and Opa-Opa uses a Bit shield (from the PS2 remake) and Shield (from Fantasy Zone II: The Tears of Opa-Opa/Super Fantasy Zone) respectively.

Neutral Attacks:
  • Jab Combo: Harrier shoots a energy projectile from his cannon, while Opa-Opa shoots a small laser beam. Can be spammed by holding the button.
  • Forward/Back Tilt: Harrier can move around while shooting with his laser cannon and even move backwards. Opa-Opa also shoots beams while moving. Same as Jab Combo, Mega Man's Side Tilt and Banjo's Breegull Blaster, but weaker.
  • Up Tilt: Harrier swings his cannon upwards in an arc.
  • Down Tilt: While crouching, Harrier slightly shoots directly in-front of him, causing a small explosion. Same as Samus's.
  • Dash Attack: Harrier dashes forward with a headbutt by using his laser cannon. Opa-Opa twirls forward while dashing alongside Harrier.
Smash Attacks:
  • Side Smash: Harrier shoots a ring projectile from one of the enemies, while Opa-Opa uses a weaker version of 7-Way Shot.
  • Up Smash: Opa-Opa aims upwards and fires a Wide Beam above Harrier.
  • Down Smash: Harrier shoots a powerful burst of flames upwards, while Opa-Opa launches two fire waves on each sides via Fire Bomb, surrounding them at both above and around their sides.
Air Attacks:
  • Neutral Air: Same as Jab Combo. Harrier can slightly glide on the air like Peach, though it only applies here.
  • Forward Air: Harrier swings his cannon vertically downwards in-front of him. Acts as a meteor-smash.
  • Back Air: Harrier uses his cannon's boost to back-fire behind him, propeling forwards a bit.
  • Up Air: Opa-Opa flies above Harrier and twirls upwards a bit.
  • Down Air: Harrier shoots a powerful burst of fire directly below himself, while Opa-Opa shoots a 3-Way Shot (from Fantasy Zone II) downwards.
Grab/Throws:
  • Grab/Pummel: While Harrier grabs an opponent with one hand, Opa-Opa slaps them with Big Wings by flying in-front of their face first.
  • Forward Throw: Harrier drags an opponent across the ground a short distance as he flies with his cannon, before throwing them forward. Same as Ridley's Space Pirate Rush.
  • Back Throw: Harrier throws an opponent backwards, and Opa-Opa then shoots a Laser Beam to send them flying away further.
  • Up Throw: Harrier flies up high, before slamming an opponent down onto the ground. Works same as King K. Rool and Kirby's.
  • Down Throw: Harrier slams the opponent on the ground with his cannon and Opa-Opa flies up, shooting a few small projectiles downwards in rapid succession to pin them down.
Special Moves:
  • Neutral Special: Lock-On/Twin Bomb - Harrier aims his cannon forward and shoots a few laser beams, doing chip damage unlike his Jab Combo/Forward-Back Tilt/Neutral Air. Shots will miss if an opponent is outside the reticle even if they overlap them, though Opa-Opa tosses two small bombs forward to help Harrier, which explode on-contact. Based on how Harrier attacks in the PS2 remake and works same as Palutena's Autoreticle.
  • Side Special: Komainu Rush/Rocket Engine - Harrier summons dog-like creatures called Komainus as they form a barrier in-front of him and he rushes forward. Opa-Opa also flies forward at high speeds by using a rocket engine on his back. Same as Banjo's Wonderwing, but not limited and has bigger endlag.
  • Up Special: Flight/Turbo Engine - Harrier uses his laser cannon to fly freely around for a few seconds, able to shoot energy projectiles while doing so, even though he can't turn around. Opa-Opa follows him with a Turbo Engine.
  • Down Special: Flash Bomb/Smart Bomb - Harrier summons a Flash Bomb (from the PS2 remake) and activates it, summoning a light-like explosion around him which stuns opponents within range. Opa-Opa also holds a missile-like Smart Bomb to give Harrier's explosion some damage, but only at the epicenter.
Final Smash/All-Star Move (in a clone thread):
  • White Dragon/Heavy Bombardment: Uriah flies besides Harrier, who hops on him as he rides across the stage and sometimes does loops, while Opa-Opa flies into the middle of a stage and summons a few giant weight-like Heavy Bombs to fall onto opponents who manages to dodge Uriah. Works like a combination of Rayquaza's boss fight in Brawl and Ness & Lucas' PK Starstorm.

Last edited:
Top Bottom