• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OP Recovery

Rpggames77

Smash Journeyman
I play against my friend who plays squirtle and I can never do anything when he recovers, is there anything that is good against squirtle's recovery or do I just have to respect it every time?

Omniscient X

Smash Journeyman
Alright lets talk about Squirtle's Withdraw first off it is light armor, I'm 99.9% sure you can smash it with Sheik's F-Air but B-Air might be safer for off stage play. Mewtwo's Confusion can snag Squirtle right out of it depending on how good you are I like to punish Squirtles that go low on recovery with a b-reversed Confusion into D-Air. Ike can literally crush Squirtle's Withdraw with any aerial without having to trade due to his massive disjoint. For Zelda make use of Din's Fire to place the flame a bit lower than the ledge to stop either Withdraw or Waterfall and punish with either a Lightning Kick or D-Air. For Wolf just ledge grab and drop below with B-Air or D-Air when Squirtle transitions out of Withdraw.

A good method for punishing Squirtle's recovery is simply edgehogging to bait out Waterfall then roll onto stage and punish the fact that Squirtle didn't sweetspot the ledge with an Up-Smash or Up-Tilt to string into a combo.

Squirtle's low traction causes players to routinely overshoot Waterfall and rely on the fact they can slide back off stage to grab ledge afterwards and that's a huge punish window.
-Omni

Top Bottom