• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oozing the Way to Victory: Slime for SSB4 DLC! Vote now on Smashbros.com

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

Overview
Slime is the mascot of the popular Dragon Quest franchise. Spanning over 25+ years, the franchise has grown to become one of the most recognizable media series in Japan, transcending video game culture. It's a big deal in Japan. Slime is a common enemy species in the game, but also happens to be to Dragon Quest what Pikachu is to Pokémon: the face of the franchise. Slime also happens to have its own set of spin-off games, Rocket Slime/Slime MoriMori, where the adorable Rocket joins his Slime family on a series of misadventures. Slime has even made crossover appearances with Mario & co. in Mario Sports Mix and the Fortune Street series.

What can Slime do?
Slime has shown a penchant for using magic attacks such as Frizz (a basic fireball attack in the DQ series), Heal, stronger variations of Frizz, and a variation of battering body attacks. Slime also has a wide variety of familial variations that change their abilities. Slime also has shown the ability to morph its body due to its elasticity, allowing it to attack enemies in different ways: stretching itself to charge into enemies (Elasto Blast), flattening its body in the air to glide, whipping around parts of its body, inflating its body to bash opponents, using items from the Dragon Quest series, and summoning other Slimes to ambush opponents. There are a wealth of creative avenues that could provide Slime an extremely distinct and special moveset. Sakurai is just the kind of man to do it, too.

Lets dismiss one thing: Slime's lack of limbs do not prevent it from being able to pick up or hold things.

kind of just floats there on its head.
The advantage Slime has over another character like Mr. Saturn or Goomba is its body shape. Slime fits the morph fighter archtype similar to Shuma-Gorath in Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 and Arakune from BlazBlue. That is a fighting style that is unique to the Super Smash Bros. series and would bring something only Slime could to the roster.
[COLLAPSE=Videos too large to post on their own]]
[/COLLAPSE]

An oldie but a goodie...

[COLLAPSE=Slime Moveset]Slime:

Weight - 2
Size - 2
Speed - 6
Air Speed - 3
Fall Speed - 5
(Standard)
A - simple lunge forward.
AA - second lunge.
AAA - Rocket does a small flip delivering small knockback.
Running A - While running, begins to roll like a wheel into the opponent.
Up A - Jumps as if pointy part of slime is a weapon and pokes target.
Down A - Elongates his body and sweeps the ground with his body ala Mario Sports Mix. http://youtu.be/xGlE_-FiVdA?t=1m56s
Side A - Puffs up and lunges forward to bash the opponent.
(Smash)
Side A - Elasto Blast: stretches in the direction pointed, can be adjusted during the charge; once the button is let go, Slime shoots forward.
Up A - Slime Medley: Two slimes are summoned to help form a slime stack, all slimes do damage in stack. Piston like effect pushing upwards with great force.
Down A - Bubble: Becomes a puddle and sweeps the ground. Radial effect.
(Aerials)
Neutral - Body expands as he spins around in place in the air, has multi-hit properties.
Forward Air - Coils his body and flicks himself forward slightly.
Down Air - Turns metallic like a Metal Slime and suddenly drops down, he is able to move horizontally while dropping through the air.
Back Air - Whips his body around to smack the opponent.
Up Air - Causes an explosion above him using a Rockbomb Shard.
(Grabs)
Grab - Wraps himself around the enemy.
A - Constricts them.
Forward Throw - Unravels the character like a top, spinning them forward.
Down Throw - Throws the character into the ground and crushes him/her under his body.
Back Throw - Wraps around their waist and slings them behind into the air.
Up Throw - Gets under them and stretches his body similar to Elasto Blast, instead he slingshots them above.
(Specials)
Neutral B - Frizz: He'll start charging the attack sort of like Fox's Up B. During this phase you can then use the control stick to aim the attack, sending an explosive fireball attack in any direction. Unlike Zelda you cannot change direction while using the attack. Sets players on fire for a few seconds and can also set areas of the stage on fire for a few seconds, dealing damage to anyone who wanders into the flames.
UpB - Chimaera Wing: Based upon the famous item in the Dragon Quest series. Slime will teleport skyward in a streak of yellow light. Straight up vertically. He won't be able to move horizontally until after he appears again. The move is like Zelda's teleport except faster and Slime never disappears, just streaks up into the air. After the move he will be unable to attack. The offensive side of this special is anyone caught under the path of Slime will receive damage and knockback.
Side B - Slime Knight*: A knight doll appears on Slime's back and slashes like crazy, sort of like Metaknight. You can hold down B and he'll continue to slash but you can't move while he's slashing. It is a multi hitting attack, much like Metaknight again, and can cause a player some damage if not careful. Slime can also drop the kinght doll on the ground and on its own it will begin attacking while Slime is free to move. The catch is the doll will dissipate 4 seconds after being on its own.
DownB- Back Up!: Summons a random member of the Slime family (She-Slime, Heal Slime, Bubble Slime, King Slime, etc...) for different effects:
She Slime: Lunges itself at opponent, weak damage
Bubble Slime: Will run away on the battle field, in the process running under characters and causing them to trip.
Slime Knight: A Slime Knight will hop onto the stage and deliver one large slash in front of him, 7%
King Slime: He will puff up to a very large size and crush any character in his path, 10%
Slime Stack: Several slimes will appear and hop on top of one another and will fall forward attacking all within their line, 4% per slime.
Heal Slime: Rare, when one appears he will heal Slime about 10%.
(Final Smash)
Final Smash - Schleimann Tank: The camera will zoom to the left of the stage in the background. Suddenly the gigantic Schleimann Tank will roll onto the stage. Once it ceases moving other slimes will be calling for Slime. When a cannon will suddenly appear on stage, leading Slime to hop and dance around before jumping into the cannon. He will then be fired into the Schleimann Tank. Once inside the cannons will begin being loaded and they will fire projectiles onto the stage. Rocks, boxes, Rock Bombs, explosive eggs, and missles will be fired onto the stage at a time. Once the Final Smash is over the final cannon will be loaded with Slime and he will be fired at the stage, causing a large, final splat/impact. He will flatten onto the ground, but spring back up and continue from where he left off.
Idle - Slowly moves up and down in place, ocassionally wiggling.
Running - He hops forward as in Rocket Slime and throughout Dragon Quest.
Shielding - Puffs his body out.
Colors:
Standard - Blue hue
Color one - Red hue
Color two - Green hue
Color three - Grey hue, Metal Slime
Color four - White and Orange w/ splotches, Spotted Slime
Color five - Black hue, Dark Slime
Kirby Hat - Slime Hat:
Kirby will have the top part/head and eyes of a slime, he will be able to use Frizz. He'll pull his hand to his body and start charging a fireball and release.

Taunt 1 - Begins scooting on the ground in a circle, then shivers.
Taunt 2 - Jumps in the air and gives one of his armless waves.
Taunt 3 - Hops around in the air, making a "wheeeeeee" noise.
Intro: Rocket comes flying out of the air after a cannon noise is heard.
Home stage - Zenithia (Dragon Quest IV-VI)http://www.smashboards.com/threads/super-smash-bros-4-stage-conception.305626/#post-12936266
Character Icon - Tilted Slime
Fanfare - http://youtu.be/4Jl-QGpHv8o
*A Slime Knight is basically a knight resting on top of the Slime. In the Dragon Quest Heroes games, any living creature could utilize a Slime Knight, and if put on a certain kind of item, it would act on its own against anyone. if put on a certain kind of item, it would act on its own against anyone.
I've also considered making his Up Special "Balloon" like how in Rocket Slime he balloons himself causing him to float. Also I might change the stage to "Astortia" since that is the latest Dragon Quest locale.[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE=Alternate Colors]
[/COLLAPSE]

Why not another Square-Enix series?
Because it isn't about representation, it is about selecting characters we like and think would bring something special to the Super Smash Bros. series. Dragon Quest is still a huge deal in Japan, and even though it may not have the same impact in the West it still is above many other third party franchises.
Additionally, Nintendo has had a very close relationship with Square-Enix regarding the Dragon Quest series. Dragon Quest's DS ports (DQ IV-VI, IX, Joker II) and Fortune Street were localized by Nintendo of America, Reggie Fils-Aime is known to be a big Dragon Quest fanboy, and almost every title outside of Dragon Quest VIII has appeared on a Nintendo console to date.

What can I do to help?
Start by going to the Super Smash Bros. Fighter Ballot and drop a request for our oozy pal.

Beyond that, just help grow the community here on Smashboards. Try to get communities at other places like NeoGAF, Gamefaqs, IGN, Reddit, YouTube Kotaku, even 4chan to participate. This ballot is made for characters like Slime because without an active support body, it would be easy to gloss over our little pal. He fits the criteria of Sakurai's character selections and would be a great surprise.

Let's make this comic a reality
If you think this OP needs any additions, feel free to let me know. I will work on it some more throughout the week and will also be working on some support avatars, sig add-ons, and any other media that would help get this community to be as successful as it can be. Already need to work on a sample moveset.

Thank you all for your support!
Slime Brigade:
Starphoenix
Fuzzy Pickles
Koopaul
8-Peacock-8
JackerX
Cheezey Bites
OctiVick

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Count me in for Slime. You've convinced me back a loooonnng time ago that he would be a great addition into Smash and I would still like to see him today.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Count me in for Slime. You've convinced me back a loooonnng time ago that he would be a great addition into Smash and I would still like to see him today.
Awesome. We'll kick it like it's the summer of '11 once again. Maybe even throw in a PCMA reference or two.

Once I get around to it I'll open up Photoshop and whip some material up.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
^There's never been a problem(that I've seen) with remaking a support thread if the original was locked for some time prior to the original DLC announcement, unless the character was explicitly impossible by then.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
^There's never been a problem(that I've seen) with remaking a support thread if the original was locked for some time prior to the original DLC announcement, unless the character was explicitly impossible by then.
Still, it would be beneficial to gather as much supporters as you can.

D

Deleted member

Awesome. We'll kick it like it's the summer of '11 once again. Maybe even throw in a PCMA reference or two.

Once I get around to it I'll open up Photoshop and whip some material up.
I remember when you were all about Slime back in mid-2011. You actually got a lot of people on the Smashboards thread behind him which surprised me. And PCAM was our first ever effort at putting multiple fan bases together. Of course it failed miserably but it's still funny to look back at it.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Still, it would be beneficial to gather as much supporters as you can.
I'll probably just PM all the supporters and let them know a new thread exists. Believe me, I first checked to see if a thread exists; when none were open I decided to relaunch this bad boy.

D

Deleted member

We need a section for music.

Obvious we need to have the Dragon Quest VI theme in the game, but I also want Pegasus from Dragon Quest VI to show up (not Smash fitting but then again, neither was Garden of Hope). Anyway I definitely need to get into the Dragon Quest series someday; I like the art style (thought that's because like millions of others I was captivated by Dragon Ball/Z) but I particularly have my eye on Dragon Quest VIII on PS2 (dang I really want that console back).

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
We need a section for music.

Obvious we need to have the Dragon Quest VI theme in the game, but I also want Pegasus from Dragon Quest VI to show up (not Smash fitting but then again, neither was Garden of Hope). Anyway I definitely need to get into the Dragon Quest series someday; I like the art style (thought that's because like millions of others I was captivated by Dragon Ball/Z) but I particularly have my eye on Dragon Quest VIII on PS2 (dang I really want that console back).
Many of the battle tracks would fit really well:

Battle!
Zoma
Violent Enemies
War Cry
Orgo Demila

Course when you begin extending it out into the field and dungeon themes it gets even better.

Monsters in the Dungeon / Tower of Death

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The Slime we all know and recognize is known... to just attack and that's it really.
Sakurai might not find Slime's potential at all unless he's a big DQ fan.

Last edited:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
The Slime we all know and recognize is known... to just attack and that's it really.
Sakurai might not find Slime's potential at all unless he's a big DQ fan.
He managed to find a way to make Duck Hunt, Mr. Game and Watch and R.O.B all work in creative ways. If there is any director I'm sure could manage to pull resources to make him a creative fighter, it's Sakurai.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I don't doubt that, but I doubt he'd be that willing to create a fully-fledged moveset for Slime. I think third-parties really have to stand out with their potential unlike Nintendo characters, because it is the first step into how 3rd parties are chosen, and Slime doesn't pass that step too well.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Guess it really depends upon how you look at the character. Because I've had the privilege of playing most of the Dragon Quest series, Rocket Slime, Mario Sports Mix; I can see the moveset perfectly in my head and how natural it would be to the character. Of course I know the initial reaction is a preposterous one, but, again, the character would bring something extraordinarily unique that only it can. To me, that is what separates Slime from any other Nintendo character, or any other video game character.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I do love Slime and thinks he deserves to be in Smash more than some other 3rd party characters.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Not a bad idea though i'd have dark neon purple over pink
I was mostly going off of what colors have appeared in the games. I'm not sure I recall that color? But I'm by no means a savant.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Sign me up, I didn't have the time to revive the old support thread but I voted Slime day 1 of the ballot, and would love to support the little guy again!

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Hey, the more the merrier. If you have any ideas feel free to share them. We should try to make this as active a community thread we can.

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Just voted for him right now after realizing people remember him. TBH I thought the hope for him was dead even as DLC so I just thought he was a lost cause at this point; glad I was wrong.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Just voted for him right now after realizing people remember him. TBH I thought the hope for him was dead even as DLC so I just thought he was a lost cause at this point; glad I was wrong.
Hey, if this game has taught me anything: some of the weirdest things can happen. Personally I'd like to try Tweeting some people from Square Enix like Yuji Hori or other members who work on the series. I mean if people were able to get something out of Microsoft about Banjo-Kazooie with little to no support prior, I'm sure we have a puncher's chance.

D

Deleted member

I do love Slime and thinks he deserves to be in Smash more than some other 3rd party characters.
Same here. He's one of the few legendary third-party left and as such one of the very few I can get behind (the other one being Bomberman). Plus I think he would have an amazing move set to pull from at least based off Starphoenix's move set.
Hey, if this game has taught me anything: some of the weirdest things can happen. Personally I'd like to try Tweeting some people from Square Enix like Yuji Hori or other members who work on the series. I mean if people were able to get something out of Microsoft about Banjo-Kazooie with little to no support prior, I'm sure we have a puncher's chance.
Does Yuji Hori have a twitter account and if so, does he have one in English (guessing not, but just asking)? If one in English isn't available, we might want to get someone who knows Japanese (if possible) and would be interested in Slime to consider tweeting Hori about this.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I'm not sure about Horii. Don't believe he does, but there's bound to be staff members who are on Twitter.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Horii does not have a twitter account and Square Enix don't respond to fans very often (even in the strongest days of Operation Hero they practically ignored the thousand+ messages we were sending them). If you want him in we need to go through Sakurai, who luckily is a DQ fan.

That said there's rumors of a Dragon Quest announcement in the next Famitsu DS+Wii (I think it's this weekend) and there's a passable shot we'll get some DQ news at the SE E3 Conference, so the best bet is to utilize those to drum up hype and support... That's how I built his recognition up during pre-launch even if I couldn't get a huge amount of support thanks to the pessimism Square Enix brings out in gamers. It probably also didn't help that I only had quietly released mobile remakes to work with not more sizable announcements, so if SE/Famitsu aren't screwing us over we should be able to build up some momentum... but we're really going to have to rely on Japan for the main weight of votes.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
That said there's rumors of a Dragon Quest announcement in the next Famitsu DS+Wii (I think it's this weekend) and there's a passable shot we'll get some DQ news at the SE E3 Conference, so the best bet is to utilize those to drum up hype and support... That's how I built his recognition up during pre-launch even if I couldn't get a huge amount of support thanks to the pessimism Square Enix brings out in gamers. It probably also didn't help that I only had quietly released mobile remakes to work with not more sizable announcements, so if SE/Famitsu aren't screwing us over we should be able to build up some momentum... but we're really going to have to rely on Japan for the main weight of votes.
As far I'm aware from GAF, the Famitsu hype was for Yokai Watch 3. It was, once again, Famitsu overhyping their "story."

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
As far I'm aware from GAF, the Famitsu hype was for Yokai Watch 3. It was, once again, Famitsu overhyping their "story."
They mentioned giving Wii U a boost, and Yokai only covers the 3DS... There's also the Jump tease of some more Dragon Quest news coming soon after X 3.0, though that could well be anything if this is Yokai Watch.

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Might as well bump this thread with some good DQ news:
The new Dragon Quest X! has been announced to be on the soon-to-be-released Nintendo NX and beloved 3DS
And very recently we got Dragon Quest XI 3DS screenshots:

KEEP THE SUPPORT ALIVE EVERYONE, SLIME MAY STILL HAVE HIS TIME TO SHINE!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Add me to the supporters. I do like the idea of Slime in Smash... and I always liked Dragon Quest games.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
This is the third party character I support the most coming in next. Why? Because he's a legend ithe JRPG genre and has his origins with Nintendo. Like Ryu who is the fighting games king, I'd consider Slime the JRPG king.

Top Bottom