• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OOS Options and Wavedash

12Tables

Smash Rookie
After watching the tournaments from today I noticed when on a platform the main options everyone choose to do out of shield was jump nair (3 frames +start up frames of nair) or up b. One thing I've been practicing is wave-dashing oos. In order to do this you have to input jump without a direction then input shield and the desired direction during frames 2 or 3 of the jump squat. This is near frame perfect so practice will be needed to do this. Imputing the directional airdodge on frame 2 or 3 will guarantee the invulnerability of the air dodge starts on frame 6. Which as far as I can tell, ties the fastest aerials in the game. And this invulnerability is as far as I can tell the same for everyone (at least that I've tested so far). The pros of thissd tech seem to be the ability to wavedash off of platforms with horizontal movement, wavedash to stay on platform, and wavedash towards ledge. OR just use it as a mixup to a Nair oos. Lastly, jumping oos does not give Parry, and parry may be more practical for getting off the platform by forcing 14 extra frames of lag on the enemy. Either way let me know what you think about this.

***PLEASE NOTE***
I've only tested a few characters with this and I have noticed that air dodge frame data changes from character to character so please, please check you character to see if this is a beneficial thing.

Frame data below is for Paluntena:

Wavedash on Flat ground:
Jump: 1-3 frames
Air dodge perfectly left or right: Air dodge frames 4-39 (invincibility 6-20)
Air dodge ~11 degrees below horizontal: 4-39 (6-20)
Air dodge ~22.5 degrees below horizontal: 4-31 (6-12)
Air dodge ~33 degrees below horizontal: 4-31 (6-12)
Air dodge 45 degrees below horizontal: 4-29 (6-10)
When hitting the ground during an airdodge there are 19 frames before Palutena can act. Hitting the ground also ends Invulnerability from air dodge. Please read Chiroz's guide on how dodging works in SSBU for more information here.

Wavedash off Platform:
Jump: 1-3
Airdodge: 4- 53 (6-24)
Airdodge to ledge (battlefield) 4-43 (6-24) [grab ledge on frame 44] **NOTE*** depending on spot on platfrom (I tried to use within 1 unit of edge) I've grabbed ledge as late as 53 frames and also missed completely and had to jump/up b to recover

For Nair OOS
Jump 3 frames plus the length of the Nair in order to act
Palutena short hop nair oos 4-49 Active ~frame 8; full hop nair: active ~frame 9 (input a on frame just after jumpsquat or frame 4)

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
I've read that both jumping OoS and grabbing can trigger parry.

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
are you sure you can ledge slide off in this game? I tested this a week back and my character just stopped at the edge instead of sliding off the platform on battlefield.

12Tables

Smash Rookie
are you sure you can ledge slide off in this game? I tested this a week back and my character just stopped at the edge instead of sliding off the platform on battlefield.
If you enter directly to the left or right you will not slide and this allows you to get off the platform. But yes at about 10 degrees below the X axis you will slide and will remain on the platform.

Top Bottom