• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ooooooooh Banana!!! Diddy Kong Banana Set-Ups *OP Updated* *Combos Added*

Heart of Ice

Smash Cadet
I am reviving and revising my sh*tpost of an OP to make it more clear and easier on the eyes. So we are now in the 1.2 version of this thread. I apologize for the terrible quality of the previous version.

Introduction

Bananas are a crucial part of Diddy Kong's game whether it be for edge-guarding, camping, setting up combos, or outright killing. There's no denying that they're a powerful and versatile tool and since Sakurai loves wailing on us with the nerf hammer I'd say learning to use the banana effectively is a must!

Oh, and for those of you using mobile devices, be sure to turn them sideways! The thread looks sort of weird in vertical view.

We should post some great banana set ups here to help evolve the Diddy meta. I'll start us off.

Brawlnana
Contributor: Heart of Ice

Description: A combination of a banana in front with cover from the peanut pop gun. It's as close a we'll get to the brawl set-up anyway.

Execution: Place banana in desired location -> shoot your peanut popgun as much as you like

Difficulty::4diddy:

Usefulness: :4diddy::4diddy::4diddy: (Diddy Kong's peanuts have hilariously low priority. Even Mario's fireballs eat them alive. Anyways, this isn't a real great setup against other projectile users because of that low priority.
)

JCIT

Description: This technique allows you to slide a bit when throwing the banana in any direction. Throwing it sideways into an opponent leads into combos with F-Smash, U-Tilt, Grabs, and many other things. It is worth noting that you would normally have to come to a complete stop to toss the banana in any direction other than forward. But when you use JCIT it allows you to throw the banana in any direction you want while running. You could use this to quickly throw a banana peel directly down in a desired location. One last thing is doing this while pivoting with the banana will allow you to slide back noticeably.

Execution: Very quickly tap :GCX:and then IMMEDIATELY toss the banana in your desired direction. If you're accidentally short hopping you aren't tossing the banana fast enough or you held down the jump button too long.

Difficulty: :4diddy::4diddy: (The timing is generous you should be able to get this with a little practice unless you have no thumbs)

Usefulness::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy:(A tech that gives us additional combo and kill options? YES PLEASE!!!)

Smash Banana Toss

Description: Diddy Kong has two types of tosses. A smashed toss and an non-smashed toss. A smashed toss obviously goes further than a non-smashed one.

Execution: :GCB::GCD:-> pick up banana -> :GCCN: in whatever direction you feel like.

Difficulty: :4diddy:

Usefulness::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy:

C-C-C-C-Combo Breaker

Explanation: Throwing your banana up in the air (non- smashed) to break yourself out of combos sort of like Pikachu's Down B. This is mostly for stopping throws and throw combos. This means
you can now avoid ridiculous throws like Ness's Back Throw, Charizard's Up Throw, Mario and Sheik's Down Throws, etc.

Execution: Get banana-> :GCA::GCU:(Don't smash the control stick!) -> shout "c-c-c-c-combo breaker" when it ruins their combo -> savor the delicious salt they produce

Usefulness: :4diddy::4diddy: (This won't come into play often, but it's easy to learn and might just save your hide!)

Monkey Flip + B- Reverse Banana
Contributor: fyazko He showed me the inputs for this tech here at the 6:57 mark!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFJp0Flcb2Q

Description: Doing a monkey flip (you can choose whether you want to smash monkey flip or not) and then doing a B-Reverse banana pluck which causes a sudden and dramatic reversal of momentum. It's worth noting smashed monkey flips cause a more obnoxious change in velocity

Execution:
If monkey flipping to right - :GCB: :GCR: -> :GCDR: ->:GCD:->:GCDL:

If monkey flipping to left- :GCB::GCL: -> :GCDL:->:GCD:->:GCDR:

Difficulty::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy: (This one's a b*tch, the input is already hard enough, but you also have to be careful you don't do a monkey kick if you input too early.)

Usefulness::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy:

Easy Non-Smash Banana Pluck

Contributor: fyazko he starts talking about this tech in this his video at 2:21 (The link for the video is in the tech above this one)

Description: This very simple tech allows you to get the non-smash banana pluck extremely consistently.

Execution: Hold Crouch -> (Keep Holding) :GCB::GCCD:

Usefulness: :4diddy::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy: (Not having to jump as high to retrieve your banana is amazing. It is also much harder to punish than a smashed pluck. Anything that allows you get your banana sooner is always good to know!)

OoS Banana Toss

Description: An amazing OoS option that allows you to throw a banana without having to experience the lag of dropping your shield.

Execution: Have a banana in hand -> :GCZ: ->:GCA: and pressing the left stick in whatever direction you want to throw the banana.

Usefulness::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy:(Diddy has so many sweet OoS options ^^)

OoS Banana Pickup

Discoverer(?): Heart of Ice

Description: Picking up a banana on the ground next to you without experiencing shield drop lag. And to clarify further I'm NOT talking about plucking or throwing the banana. It looks like you do a little jump and then pick up the banana (Damn Diddy! How many OoS options do you have!?)

Execution: Have banana on ground somewhere near you -> :GCZ: -> :GCX:->:GCA:

Usefulness: I'm not sure yet, I need to experiment with this tech more.

Aerial Banana Grab

Description: You can grab bananas out of the air with aerials and air-dodges. If you want to grab the banana with an aerial, keep in mind that your fastest aerial is your U-Air which comes out Frame 4 and F-Air and N-Air have big hitboxes. Your B-Air has the quickest auto-cancel window. There's pretty much no reason to use D-air because the hitboxes are in a mostly irrelevant area and you risk heavy landing lag if the move isn't "soft-landed" (There's a 2 frame window to soft land upon using D-air and there's no active hitbox). Anyways, be sure to choose your aerial wisely depending on your needs and the state of the battle. You can also grab the banana without any lag if you input grab while being in the exact or almost exact position the banana is.

Execution:
To catch with aerial- :GCB::GCCD:-> :GCX:-> :GCA: (and whatever direction you're feeling like at the moment)
To catch the banana without lag- :GCB::GCD:-> Be in the same position as the banana or very close -> :GCZ:

If you're too late with the grab, you will air-dodge, which could get you punished if you catch the banana close to the ground.

Difficulty: :4diddy::4diddy::4diddy:

Usefulness::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy: (Getting a banana into your hand fast is always good!)

Banana Z-Drop

Description: Getting above somebody and dropping a banana on them. This has less lag than a regular toss, but also doesn't drop anywhere near as fast. You can also re-catch the banana with the A button.

Execution: Get da banana -> Get above your opponent -> :GCZ: -> (optional) :GCA:

Usefulness: I'm not super sure, but I know that you can fast fall into barrels after z-dropping a banana for a true combo(?). You could also d*ck on low recoveries I guess....

Z-Drop Banana Aerials

Description: Jumping and Z-Dropping your banana at the peak of your jump and immediately catching it with an aerial.

Execution: :GCX:-> Wait until the peak of your jump -> :GCZ: -> :GCA: + direction of your choice IMMEDIATELY

Difficulty: :4diddy::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy: (This is the tech that separates the chimps from the chumps!)

Usefulness: Being able to use aerials without having to sacrifice the banana looks good on paper, but it's too early to tell yet because there hasn't been enough utilization. I CAN tell you this though, hitting the F-air auto-cancel window and doing this tech is almost impossible. If you really want to learn this tech, start with N-air it's by far the easiest to get down. It's also worth noting that the aerials other than N-air require strict spacing with this tech.

Banana Pick-Up Slide

Description: Picking up a banana while moving without using Diddy Kong's god awful Dash Attack by letting go of the left control stick when you are close to the banana. This tech allows you to pick up the banana with a mini slide.

Execution: Run Towards Banana -> Let go of left stick once you are getting close -> :GCA:

Difficulty::4diddy::4diddy:

Usefulness::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy: (Diddy Kong's Dash Attack is THAT bad)

Grounded Banana Aerial Pickup

Description: Using an aerial near a grounded banana to pick the banana up. Any aerial works, but I like F-air best!

Execution: Have banana on ground -> Get near Banana -> :GCX:->:GCA: + whatever direction you're feeling like.

Difficulty: :4diddy::4diddy: (If you know how to do SH aerials consistently this should be a breeze.)

Usefulness::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy: (As I said before Diddy Kong's Dash Attack sucks. But with this tech you can now pick up your banana and put a giant hitbox in front of you!)

Instant Banana Toss

Contributor- Heart of Ice

Description: Tossing a banana that you grabbed in the air immediately by using the right control stick.

Execution: :GCB::GCD:-> :GCZ: -> :GCCN: in whatever direction you please

Difficulty: :4diddy::4diddy:

Usefulness: :4diddy::4diddy::4diddy: (Most opponent won't be expecting to have a banana flung at them so soon.)

Turnaround-B Banana Pluck Ledge D*cking

Description: Simply doing a B-reverse Banana pluck near the ledge to screw with low recoveries. Timing it could be really hard as you want it to hit them right as they're using their second jump. Personally I like d*cking on Little Macs with this.

Execution:
For the right edge- Get near the ledge -> :GCB::GCDL:

For the left edge- Get near the ledge -> :GCB::GCDR:

Difficulty: :4diddy::4diddy:

Usefulness::4diddy::4diddy: (It's almost always better to keep the banana on the stage, this would normally get a one Diddy rating, but it gets two for style)

XxD!ddyK.Quick$c0p3xX

Description: Quickscoping those filthy non-Diddy using plebs with a smash banana toss near the edge.

Execution:

For right side: :GCB::GCCD: -> pick up banana -> get near ledge -> :GCCR:

For left side::GCB::GCCD:-> pick up banana -> get near ledge -> :GCCL:

Usefulness::4diddy::4diddy: (Double the points for the style!)

Banana near ledge edge-guarding
Contributor: Jtails from this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FytxBGjH17I (Jtails starts talking about edge-guarding with bananas at 11:58.)

Description- Putting a banana near the ledge can drastically limit your opponents get-up options. I believe regular get-up and get-up attack are covered by this. I don't think the get-up roll is, but you can cover the rolling option with a properly positioned D-Tilt. You can also cover a ledge jump with a F-Air.

Execution: Get banana -> put near ledge

Usefulness::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy: (BANANA POWER!!!!!)

Monkey Flip Banana Pluck Boost

Contributor: Jtails (Jtails starts talking about this tech in his video at 9:37. The link for the video is in the tech above this one.)

Description: Using a banana pluck after a monkey flip to boost aerial momentum. Monkey Flip already gives you
a sizable boost in aerial momentum (Especially if it's smashed!), so stacking it with a banana pluck could really speed things up. It might be nice as a retreating option that also provides cover from the dropped banana. To help clarify this pluck isn't
B-Reversed at all, it's just a regular banana pluck. I'm having a hard time telling from the video if that claim is true or not, so I'm just taking Jtails' word for it.

Execution:
flipping left- :GCB::GCL:
->:GCB::GCD:
flipping right - :GCB::GCR:-> :GCB::GCD:

Difficulty::4diddy::4diddy: (Be careful not to pluck the banana too soon or you might accidentally do the monkey flip kick instead.)

Usefulness: I honestly have no clue.

D-Throw - (non-smashed) Banana Pluck

Description: You simply D-Throw and then do a non-smashed banana pluck. It only works at really low percents and
is DI dependent and I'm pretty sure you can jump out of it...

Usefulness::4diddy:(I put this in here as a joke. No additional points due to lack of style.)

Banana Combos

Banana True Combos
Contributor: Sonicninja115 (I ripped these combos from a post they made in another thread!)

Description: These are guaranteed banana combos outside of user input error. Your opponent can't stop these combos once they've started. Be sure to Jump Cancel the Banana Toss, it's required for these combos!

Banana-Jab, any

Banana- Ftilt, any

Banana-Dtilt, any

Banana-Utilt, any

Banana- Usmash, any

Banana-Fsmash, any

Banana-Dsmash, any

Banana-Rocket-Rocket explosion, 24-57%

Banana-Monkey Flip, any

Banana-Monkey Flip Kick, any

Banana-FF Nair-Combo, any

Banana-FF Nair-Rockets, 0-57%

Last edited:

busken

Smash Ace
D-Throw - (non-smashed) Banana Toss- this is an interesting way to rack up damage, but it only works at low percents and is DI dependent.
You can't grab or throw with an item in hand. Do you mean throwing the banana down? If so, you need to be really close to their hurtbox for it to hit. Meaning you have to use it OOS or Glide Toss, but this is a lackluster option since throwing it forwards is usually the most optimal.

Smashed Monkey Flip + B- Reverse Banana- this allows you to change your momentum like his popgun reversal, but it also allows you (if you delay just a bit) to catch it when it's right above you instead of some weird angle.
Can you provide some type of visual representation of this?

Last edited:

Heart of Ice

Smash Cadet
You can't grab or throw with an item in hand. Do you mean throwing the banana down? If so, you need to be really close to their hurtbox for it to hit. Meaning you have to use it OOS or Glide Toss, but this is a lackluster option since throwing it forwards is usually the most optimal.

Can you provide some type of visual representation of this?
Well when I said d-throw to banana toss you use your b-down after the down throw. You do not have the banana in your hand at the time of the throw. You're right about this set up being situational though .Also the banana reverse works just like the pop gun. I couldn't figure out a way to word it in a non awkward way. I encourage you to try it for yourself since I have no means of a visual representation.

Last edited:

Heart of Ice

Smash Cadet
Gentleman, I offer you salvation to save us from Diddy's nerfs (other than his ridiculous combo game) and you refuse it. Now that all of the top teers are out of these boards we must rebuild Diddy Kong. We can make him better, faster, stronger, the bananas will save us. I have seen too many threads like this die and for no reason. This thread must not be allowed to die, banana is love, banana is life! Seriously though, we need to work with his banana!

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
Footstool true combos into banana toss (down obvi)
When above an opponent, throwing the banana down on a shield will make is pop back to Diddy. Use an aerial like nair or dair to catch it while attacking.
or after they shield the banana you can land and try a grab.

Last edited:

ThirdDay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
toastyost
3DS FC
1934-1050-5329
You can also do a reverse aerial into your opponent while holding your banana. This will make Diddy throw the banana into the opponent, leaving them vulnerable for one of Diddy's forward smashes, following a combo.

Lylo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chompypy
3DS FC
0490-8557-3079
Hello dear diddy fellows,

Would it be possible to know the inputs for that said "Smashed Monkey Flip + B- Reverse Banana"?
I am trying as Smash side B - wait a bit - Down B
- then flip the opposite side of the stick as fast as possible but I fail miserably...

Also Im confused about the "reverse arial while holding a banana", how is that even possible? When I got a banana in hand and do aerial I would throw it instead of keeping it in hand...

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
I didn't catch his description either. I assume for the flip do banana you'll need some are before flipping, since a grounded one will always stop on the floor.

BlakBlastoise

Smash Rookie
Would it be possible to know the inputs for that said "Smashed Monkey Flip + B- Reverse Banana"?
I am trying as Smash side B - wait a bit - Down B
- then flip the opposite side of the stick as fast as possible but I fail miserably....
I was practicing this last night after I saw this post. After about 10 minutes I was able to get it down, but not by using your method. When I do b reverse banana pluck in the air or on the ground I rotate my joystick in a quarter circle motion, I do not "flip the opposite side asap" as you put it. I use your method when using popgun to shift momentum, but the only way i can B reverse banana is by using the quarter circle method.
I basically Smash side B, wait a bit. then hold down, press B, then immediately after i press B I am doing a quarter circle back up in the opposite direction of my movement.
I could make a video if you don't understand what Im saying or would like some visuals. but it's essentially the same as a moonwalk type motion if you come from a melee background like I do.

While we're on the topic of diddy tech skill: What's the best way to practice RAR back air after down tilt? I cant seem to rar fast enough to where the bair would actually link after the down tilt.

Last edited:

Lylo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chompypy
3DS FC
0490-8557-3079
Thanks for your reply. I will try that tonight. :)

As for DTilt-RAR Bair combo, I would advise you first to practice RAR Bair in a row then go in training mode, set CPU to 110-120% dmg then try the Dtilt-RAR Bair. At least thats how I've learnt it.

One thing we rarely talk is the possibility of doing aerials with nana in hands. I think its a really good mindgame option.
Tho I'm not able to SHFF aerials yet :(

busken

Smash Ace
a few things i know about diddy

Approach Options/Mixups

B-reverse slide cancel

Monkey Flip+crawl

Running Shield

SH F-air

SH B-air

Boost Grab

Hip Check

With Banana in hand:

J.C. Glide toss

Normal Toss

Z-drop Aerial catch

Punish Options

Punish Roll

1. Dash attack

2. Glide Toss Banana

3. Boost Grab

4. Down Smash

Punish Spot Dodge

1. Down tilt

2. F-smash

Punish Shield

1. Grab

2. Banana+Grab

Punish Jump

1. SH F-air

2. SH b-air

Follow-ups

D-throw U-air

D-throw F-air

D-throw B-air

D-throw D-air

U-throw F-air

U-throw U-air

Down Tilt:

UP SMASH 45% - 56%

RUNNING UP SMASH 73% - 148%

DOWN SMASH 51% - 93%

OFF STAGE DOWN SMASH 51% - 95%

DOWN TILT 39% - 81%

FORWARD TILT 86% - 113%

UP AIR 86% - 155%

FORWARD AIR 91% - 195%

DASH ATTACK 75% - 115%

1st HIT JAB 33% - 88%

UP TILT:

UP AIR 37% - 78%

Kill Options

Glide Toss+U-smash

Glide Toss+F-smash(near ledge)

U-tilt

D-tilt+back air(near ledge)

Edge Guarding Options

• Ledge trump+Jump+B-air

• Glide Toss Banana+D-tilt

• Glide Toss Banana F-smash

D-tilt into...

• D-smash

• B-air

• F-air

Banana Management

In shield:

• Jump Cancel Glide Toss

• Normal Toss

In the air:

• Z-drop aerial Catch

• Normal Toss

Grounded:

• Aerial Catch

• Normal Pick-Up

• Peanut Popgun Edgeguard

In hand:

• Running Glide Toss

• Dash+Glide Toss

• B-reverse Down B(Pluck)

• Crawl+Glide Toss

• Glide Toss(Up)+ Up B (opponent on platform)

• Perfect Pivot+Normal Toss

• Perfect Pivot+Glide Toss

busken

Smash Ace
Using the back hitbox of pivot forward tilt to cover defensive options. It works really well if the forward tilt has little end lag allowing you to react much faster. Fox, Pit, and Mii gunner because they are all safe on shield. Making it a viable cross-up and option select. Diddy's in particular is ok since his f-tilt has good range. I made that list a while back but diddy's hip check is not as good anymore since you cant ftilt with item in hand anymore.

RoyNowBoyNow

Smash Rookie
Posted this in Diddy social but haven't received a definitive answer yet.

I was messing around with banana movements earlier, when I began to dash away then immediately c-sticked (set to smash) in the direction I was initially facing. The result was a slide backwards whilst throwing the banana, reminiscent of a grounded wavebounce. Is this the pivot GCBT or something different? There was no jump cancel at all, it was simply dash startup away, then instant c stick in opposing direction. It's really handy, and helped me against a mario main I play a lot because it's a mix up that stops me getting tripped if the banana is caped.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
You can also throw the banana down while in the air, and if they don't shield it, it will true combo into dair,fair and Bair. You can also Banana into Rocket for a nice 25-30% true combo.

Last edited:

thebeatles145

Smash Cadet
NNID
thebeatles145
My favorite set up now, once they're on the ledge put a banana right where the normal get-up is. So you can go from them having 4 to 2 ledge options. if they do use normal get-up or attack you punish hard.

Sonicninja115

My favorite set up now, once they're on the ledge put a banana right where the normal get-up is. So you can go from them having 4 to 2 ledge options. if they do use normal get-up or attack you punish hard.
You can also fire the peanut popgun to reduce there options even further, if they roll all you have to do is cancel the popgun and punish. If they jump you get free percent and a punish.

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
The "hoo-ha" still works, just not at higher percents. Also, you have to react faster in order to get the Up Air.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
The "hoo-ha" still works, just not at higher percents. Also, you have to react faster in order to get the Up Air.
Hoo hah is suboptimal now because it's only 13% when bthrow is 12. Dthrow-full hop dair is a true combo on basically everyone at low percents. It does more damage and leads into better follow ups. You can realistically do like 60% damage out of this combo if you make two reads.

Dthrow-aerial sideb-aerial stays true for longer I think. Can't remember if uthrow-double bair is true or not but it's still legit

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
Hoo hah is suboptimal now because it's only 13% when bthrow is 12. Dthrow-full hop dair is a true combo on basically everyone at low percents. It does more damage and leads into better follow ups. You can realistically do like 60% damage out of this combo if you make two reads.

Dthrow-aerial sideb-aerial stays true for longer I think. Can't remember if uthrow-double bair is true or not but it's still legit
While useful (I haven't lab'ed percents since the last couple updates), remember this thread is Banana set ups.

Sonicninja115

As the resident Combo list person, I think I will offer my input.

New-Haa

Dthrow-Monkey Flip Kick-Uair/Fair

:4bowser: Bowser
Fair:
Up- X
Down-0-48%
Back- X
Forward- 6-30%​
Uair:
Up- 10-15%
Down- 0-42%
Back- X
Forward- 5-13%​
:4dk: Donkey Kong
Fair:
Up- X
Down-0-59%
Back- X
Forward- 0-50%​
Uair:
Up- 0-24%
Down- 0-45%
Back- X
Forward- 0-19%​
:4dedede: King Dedede
Fair:
Up- 0-18%
Down-0-47%
Back- X
Forward- X​
Uair:
Up- 0-20%
Down- 0-27%
Back- X
Forward- X​
:4charizard: Charizard
Fair:
Up- 0-10%
Down-0-48%
Back- X
Forward- 0-30%​
Uair:
Up- 0-7%
Down- 0-48%
Back- X
Forward- X​
:4ganondorf: Ganondorf
Fair:
Up- 5%
Down-0-58%
Back- X
Forward- 0-23%​
Uair:
Up- 0-17%
Down- 0-40%
Back- X
Forward- X​

:4zelda: Zelda
Fair:
Up-
Down-
Back- X
Forward-​
Uair:
Up-
Down-
Back- X
Forward-​
:4sheik: Shiek
Fair:
Up- X
Down- 0-49%
Back- X
Forward- 5-20%​
Uair:
Up- 0-15%
Down- 0-35%
Back- X
Forward- X​
:4falco: Falco
Fair:
Up-
Down-
Back- X
Forward-​
Uair:
Up-
Down-
Back- X
Forward-​
:4littlemac: Little Mac
Fair:
Up-
Down-
Back- X
Forward-​
Uair:
Up-
Down-
Back- X
Forward-​
:4zss: ZSS
Fair:
Up- X
Down- 0-36%
Back- X
Forward- X​
Uair:
Up- 0-13%
Down- 0-27%
Back- X
Forward- X​
:4metaknight: Meta Knight
Fair:
Up- 0-13%
Down- 0-45%
Back- X
Forward- 0-12%​
Uair:
Up- 0-20%
Down- 0-13%
Back- X
Forward- 0-5%​
:4fox: Fox
Fair:
Up- 0-20%
Down- 0-30%
Back- X
Forward- X​
Uair:
Up- 0-25%
Down- 0-25%
Back- X
Forward- X​
:4pikachu: Pikachu
Fair:
Up- 0-10%
Down- 0-43%
Back- X
Forward- 7-10%​
Uair:
Up- 0-20%
Down- 0-28%
Back- X
Forward- 7-10%​
:4olimar: Olimar
Fair:
Up-
Down-
Back- X
Forward-​
Uair:
Up-
Down-
Back- X
Forward-​
:rosalina: Rosalina & Luma
Fair:
Up-
Down-
Back- X
Forward-​
Uair:
Up-
Down-
Back- X
Forward-​
:4kirby: Kirby
Fair:
Up- X
Down- 0-32%
Back- X
Forward- 0-12%​
Uair:
Up- 0-20%
Down- 0-13%
Back- X
Forward- 0-5%​
:4gaw: Mr. Game and Watch
Fair:
Up-
Down-
Back- X
Forward-​
Uair:
Up-
Down-
Back- X
Forward-​

This is a list I have been compiling in the combo thread, I am going to finish Lightweights and balloon weights today.

Also, you can follow the MFK with Nair, but only on certain characters.

U throw-U Air, 10-28%
U throw-Nair, 0-25%
Uthrow-Fair, 0-80%
Uthrow-Bair, 0-103%
Uthrow-Bair-Bair, 23-38%
U throw-DJ Uair, 0-123%
U throw-DJ Nair, 0-111%
Dthrow-Uair, 0-38%
Dthrow-Bair, 0-62%
Dthrow-Fair, 0-46%
Dthrow-DJ Uair, 14-117%
Dthrow-DJ Bair, 0-120%
Dthrow-DJ Fair, 25-100%
Dthrow-Monkey Flip Kick-Uair, 0-28% Damage- 27%
Dthrow-Monkey Flip Kick-Fair, 0-44% Damage- 31%(And it can KO off the side! tho, it's a suicide, WORTH)
Dthrow-Monkey Flip Kick, 0-64% Damage- 19%

Here is a list of his throw combos. These combos are all without DI as that would take forever, but the gist of it is the same. As for U-throw-Dair not being on this list, the reason is, IT NEVER TRUE COMBOS. It is a read combo, and if you airdodge you will get hit. if you jump you will get out and if you DI away you will get out as well.

Also, the New-Haa works at the percents that Uthrow- Dair works at, making it obsolete. D-throw Uair is now useless on account of you not being able to get more then one Uair and the low damage that Uair does. you are much better off going for bair or fair. you can even go for MFK without the followup for 19%. Even now, Angel Cortes is starting to use the Uthrow-Dair combo less and is focusing on other things. And please don't Dthrow-FH Dair, plz...

And please, move away from combos and back to Banana set-ups. And on that note, I find that dropping the banana off-stage while they are trying to recover is surprisingly useful.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
As the resident Combo list person, I think I will offer my input.
New-Haa
Dthrow-Monkey Flip Kick-Uair/Fair

:4bowser: Bowser
Fair:
Up- X
Down-0-48%
Back- X
Forward- 6-30%​
Uair:
Up- 10-15%
Down- 0-42%
Back- X
Forward- 5-13%​
:4dk: Donkey Kong
Fair:
Up- X
Down-0-59%
Back- X
Forward- 0-50%​
Uair:
Up- 0-24%
Down- 0-45%
Back- X
Forward- 0-19%​
:4dedede: King Dedede
Fair:
Up- 0-18%
Down-0-47%
Back- X
Forward- X​
Uair:
Up- 0-20%
Down- 0-27%
Back- X
Forward- X​
:4charizard: Charizard
Fair:
Up- 0-10%
Down-0-48%
Back- X
Forward- 0-30%​
Uair:
Up- 0-7%
Down- 0-48%
Back- X
Forward- X​
:4ganondorf: Ganondorf
Fair:
Up- 5%
Down-0-58%
Back- X
Forward- 0-23%​
Uair:
Up- 0-17%
Down- 0-40%
Back- X
Forward- X​

:4zelda: Zelda
Fair:
Up-
Down-
Back- X
Forward-​
Uair:
Up-
Down-
Back- X
Forward-​
:4sheik: Shiek
Fair:
Up- X
Down- 0-49%
Back- X
Forward- 5-20%​
Uair:
Up- 0-15%
Down- 0-35%
Back- X
Forward- X​
:4falco: Falco
Fair:
Up-
Down-
Back- X
Forward-​
Uair:
Up-
Down-
Back- X
Forward-​
:4littlemac: Little Mac
Fair:
Up-
Down-
Back- X
Forward-​
Uair:
Up-
Down-
Back- X
Forward-​
:4zss: ZSS
Fair:
Up- X
Down- 0-36%
Back- X
Forward- X​
Uair:
Up- 0-13%
Down- 0-27%
Back- X
Forward- X​
:4metaknight: Meta Knight
Fair:
Up- 0-13%
Down- 0-45%
Back- X
Forward- 0-12%​
Uair:
Up- 0-20%
Down- 0-13%
Back- X
Forward- 0-5%​
:4fox: Fox
Fair:
Up- 0-20%
Down- 0-30%
Back- X
Forward- X​
Uair:
Up- 0-25%
Down- 0-25%
Back- X
Forward- X​
:4pikachu: Pikachu
Fair:
Up- 0-10%
Down- 0-43%
Back- X
Forward- 7-10%​
Uair:
Up- 0-20%
Down- 0-28%
Back- X
Forward- 7-10%​
:4olimar: Olimar
Fair:
Up-
Down-
Back- X
Forward-​
Uair:
Up-
Down-
Back- X
Forward-​
:rosalina: Rosalina & Luma
Fair:
Up-
Down-
Back- X
Forward-​
Uair:
Up-
Down-
Back- X
Forward-​
:4kirby: Kirby
Fair:
Up- X
Down- 0-32%
Back- X
Forward- 0-12%​
Uair:
Up- 0-20%
Down- 0-13%
Back- X
Forward- 0-5%​
:4gaw: Mr. Game and Watch
Fair:
Up-
Down-
Back- X
Forward-​
Uair:
Up-
Down-
Back- X
Forward-​

This is a list I have been compiling in the combo thread, I am going to finish Lightweights and balloon weights today.

Also, you can follow the MFK with Nair, but only on certain characters.

U throw-U Air, 10-28%
U throw-Nair, 0-25%
Uthrow-Fair, 0-80%
Uthrow-Bair, 0-103%
Uthrow-Bair-Bair, 23-38%
U throw-DJ Uair, 0-123%
U throw-DJ Nair, 0-111%
Dthrow-Uair, 0-38%
Dthrow-Bair, 0-62%
Dthrow-Fair, 0-46%
Dthrow-DJ Uair, 14-117%
Dthrow-DJ Bair, 0-120%
Dthrow-DJ Fair, 25-100%
Dthrow-Monkey Flip Kick-Uair, 0-28% Damage- 27%
Dthrow-Monkey Flip Kick-Fair, 0-44% Damage- 31%(And it can KO off the side! tho, it's a suicide, WORTH)
Dthrow-Monkey Flip Kick, 0-64% Damage- 19%

Here is a list of his throw combos. These combos are all without DI as that would take forever, but the gist of it is the same. As for U-throw-Dair not being on this list, the reason is, IT NEVER TRUE COMBOS. It is a read combo, and if you airdodge you will get hit. if you jump you will get out and if you DI away you will get out as well.

Also, the New-Haa works at the percents that Uthrow- Dair works at, making it obsolete. D-throw Uair is now useless on account of you not being able to get more then one Uair and the low damage that Uair does. you are much better off going for bair or fair. you can even go for MFK without the followup for 19%. Even now, Angel Cortes is starting to use the Uthrow-Dair combo less and is focusing on other things. And please don't Dthrow-FH Dair, plz...

And please, move away from combos and back to Banana set-ups. And on that note, I find that dropping the banana off-stage while they are trying to recover is surprisingly useful.
I know you wanted to go back to nana set ups, but dthrow dair is true at low percents, not uthrow. You just have to buffer the full hop. I think around 20-40% depending on the character it's still true, but you have the buffer a dash first before you full hop

Sonicninja115

I know you wanted to go back to nana set ups, but dthrow dair is true at low percents, not uthrow. You just have to buffer the full hop. I think around 20-40% depending on the character it's still true, but you have the buffer a dash first before you full hop
Is it easily DI'able?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Is it easily DI'able?
It's not DIable if you do it properly. At really low percents you just buffer a FH and dair without turning around. After like 20 or so you have to buffer a dash (which makes you face them) and FH dair. It's a really tight window but it's actually guaranteed on a lot of the cast until around 50% if you do it properly.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Interesting, I have never seen this done at high level. I will have to test it out.

Edit: Tested, it seems okay, but it usually puts the opponent of the range of the New-Haa combo, and there are other easier, more guaranteed combos that give a bit less percent. Dthrow-Dair is a true combo but it is very specific.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Interesting, I have never seen this done at high level. I will have to test it out.

Edit: Tested, it seems okay, but it usually puts the opponent of the range of the New-Haa combo, and there are other easier, more guaranteed combos that give a bit less percent. Dthrow-Dair is a true combo but it is very specific.
If you fastfall immediately after the dair it'll lead into grab or utilt, both of which set up more stuff. You can regrab them, do the combo again then go into a utilt chain-uair for massive damage.

Sonicninja115

If you fastfall immediately after the dair it'll lead into grab or utilt, both of which set up more stuff. You can regrab them, do the combo again then go into a utilt chain-uair for massive damage.
If this is so good, why have I never heard of it? Why don't pros use it? I am not questioning you, just wondering. I will test possible combos, but remember that Dair is techable and will not lead into anything but a read situation on mid-level players and higher.

Also, will z-drop banana help chain combos?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
If this is so good, why have I never heard of it? Why don't pros use it? I am not questioning you, just wondering. I will test possible combos, but remember that Dair is techable and will not lead into anything but a read situation on mid-level players and higher.

Also, will z-drop banana help chain combos?
I assume most people just don't know about it. It's not an intuitive combo, so I assume most Diddies didn't think to try it, or didn't buffer it properly when they tried.

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
I assume most people just don't know about it. It's not an intuitive combo, so I assume most Diddies didn't think to try it, or didn't buffer it properly when they tried.
I actually don't believe that it's a true combo not to mention it's difficult to pull off if the person DI's. At 0%, yes, I believe it's guaranteed, but I don't think so afterwards.

I believe I was watching Keitaro vs NAKAT where Keitaro was trying to pull this off but could only do it at virtually 0% while NAKAT escaped every other time.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I actually don't believe that it's a true combo not to mention it's difficult to pull off if the person DI's. At 0%, yes, I believe it's guaranteed, but I don't think so afterwards.

I believe I was watching Keitaro vs NAKAT where Keitaro was trying to pull this off but could only do it at virtually 0% while NAKAT escaped every other time.
It's a true combo, it's been tested with DI. Like I said before it's a tight window and you need to buffer the jump. After really low percents you need to buffer a dash first. It's just hard to do. The only reason why it's worth trying it when there's easier options is because the reward is so much higher.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

It is true, but very specific, more so then the New-Haa. It sounds okay, but I personally won't be adding it as it doesn't cover the blindspot of the New-Haa. How come this stuff never pops up in the combo thread?

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
It is true, but very specific, more so then the New-Haa. It sounds okay, but I personally won't be adding it as it doesn't cover the blindspot of the New-Haa. How come this stuff never pops up in the combo thread?
A lot of people dropped Diddy and our forums are some of the most barren out there tbh.

Edit: Although I do think it popped up once somewhere I just can't remember where...

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

A lot of people dropped Diddy and our forums are some of the most barren out there tbh.

Edit: Although I do think it popped up once somewhere I just can't remember where...
I mean how come no one ever goes to the combo thread to talk about combos. The thread is barren though (silently weeps) HE IS NOT A BAD CHARACTER! GIVE DIDDY A CHANCE. I am going to go cry now... or Lab Diddy some more...

Heart of Ice

Smash Cadet
I would like to announce the grand (and well overdue) re-opening of the banana set-up thread. I am sorry the previous version was of such poor quality. (making threads on mobile devices is incredibly tedious, but that's not really much of an excuse considering I could have fixed this thread AGES ago on my laptop.) I could tell by some of the replies many of you were somewhat displeased.

In the new version, I made the descriptions more clear and gave the inputs in button form for the techniques to reduce confusion. I also added SEVERAL new techniques, and I made it easier on the eyes.

There are probably a few errors and mistakes here and there, so be sure to point them out so I can fix them. I am aware that some of the spacing is inconsistent and I am still trying to fix that. I will also be alphabetizing the techniques in the near future, so stay tuned!

I would also appreciate if anyone who has the resources and time to make us some visual demonstrations (like GIFs or Videos preferably from capture cards and at least 60 FPS) using these ATs. I know I added the button inputs, but I still feel that some of the visual learners are getting left out. If you're interested please PM me!!!

While I have given credit to any foreign content, if you see content of yours that you want taken down, I understand. Just PM me and let me know!

But with all of that being said, have at it fellow Diddy mains!

Last edited:

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
The scope term doesn't mention grabbing the banana, so I'm confused on what's going on there.

Heart of Ice

Smash Cadet
Basically a pivot tilt. In my opinion Diddy kong f tilt sucks so it's not that strong. B reverse IPC down tilt is a much stronger option.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B7m0NHkmSDc
I've always seen it as more of a defensive tilt. It doesn't have the combo potential that d-tilt does, but it has much better reach and it can be angled. I love using it on people who try to roll into me, the big meaty hitbox usually stops those shenanigans. (PSA: rolling isn't wavedashing!) If you play a more defensive Diddy this is a good move to work into your play. If you play more offensively this move might not see much use. I do agree that d-tilt is better overall though.

EDIT: Oh, and I just learned that Diddy's knuckles on his F- Tilt can apparently trip people.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Also, it kills pretty early. check out the kill percents in the guide I am making.

It should just be ten or so threads down.

Pop_123

Smash Rookie
NNID
D-Lighted
Can't you also throw banana out of shield with c stick (set to smash) instead of using a and z?
Also is smash throwing the banana slower frame data wise? I don't think it shows on kurugone.
can you smash throw banana out of shield like this? Or can you even smash throw a banan out of shield

Sonicninja115

Can't you also throw banana out of shield with c stick (set to smash) instead of using a and z?
Also is smash throwing the banana slower frame data wise? I don't think it shows on kurugone.
can you smash throw banana out of shield like this? Or can you even smash throw a banan out of shield
Look in the mechanics and techniques Q&A thread, someone recently posted the item good data.

Top Bottom