• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online Tourney Mode - Thought and Impressions

Tourney Mode, Love it or Hate it

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firox

Smash Master
That tournament was SOOOOO FUN. I concur. All I did was pick bowser and side B people off the stage or run to the corner of the stage and throw people out of bounds. Loooooll. I had a troll fest with that tourney. Sighs..... that was truly fun.
Of course I teabagged, as well as also sabotaging anyone who disrupted my fun. So that means, if there was a character getting in the way of my trolling - I’d simply Pick out on of the other oppenets in the game an SD myself everytime he touched me. Causing everyone else in the room to lose the game - even the innocent fighter who didn’t do anything wrong. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.
even with this trolling, I still ended up winning a few tournaments as well. Loool.
Glad you had fun, but that kind of garbage is precisely why I'm glad I swore off FFA tourney mode. 1v1 was the only thing worth playing but then they had to drop stocks to 1 and make that pointless too. It's tragic how terrible Smash's online is.

1FC0

Smash Lord
1.46 lbs., or 662 grams, actually.
This is wrong because the R.O.B. from Smash comes equiped with certain accesoires. More specifically, the R.O.B. from Smash comes included with a spinner, Gyro, Stack-Up hands, and —since he can move and his led is often on— presumably 4 AA batteries. Although he won't always have his Gyro since he can shoot or throw it away.

I just measured (with a precision of one tenth of a kilogram) and with his Smash equipment R.O.B. canonically weighs 1.1 KG if he has his Gyro, and 1 KG if he lacks his Gyro. So my estimate was actually really good!

1v1 was the only thing worth playing but then they had to drop stocks to 1 and make that pointless too.
I prefer 1 Stock matches decided by the actual match over 2 Stock matches decided by Sudden Death. The first tourney I did was 2 Stock and I got like 2 or 3 Sudden Deaths. It was stupid. If they increase the time limit to 5 minutes then 2 Stock would be fine. I think that I would prefer that.

Last edited:

Technourgos

Smash Cadet
This is wrong because the R.O.B. from Smash comes equiped with certain accesoires. More specifically, the R.O.B. from Smash comes included with a spinner, Gyro, Stack-Up hands, and —since he can move and his led burns— presumably 4 AA batteries. Although he won't always have his Gyro since he can shoot or throw it away.

I just measured (with a precision of one tenth of a kilogram) and with his Smash equipment R.O.B. canonically weighs 1.1 KG if he has his Gyro, and 1 KG if he lacks his Gyro. So my estimate was actually really good!
How did you measure any of this? Unless you own R.O.B. yourself.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Why not just have R.O.B. on this scale?
I tried that but it seemed to not work properly. I think that R.O.B. is too light for our scale. Normally it goes on when someone stands on it but putting R.O.B. on it does not even turn it on. It's a scale meant for people.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I bought a NES later on. R.O.B. is older than I am. However I like R.O.B. so whenever I happen to see a cheap one on a flea market I buy it (I've only got 2 so far, though. He seems to be pretty rare where I live). I also picked up a CRT TV from a junkyard nearby which I used him with to play Gyromite. It's pretty cool but he's really slow and really loud. A real R.O.B. definitely would not be able to finish an Arm Rotor in 85 frames… (even if the cord would magically detach and reattach without any ill effect like in Smash.)

Nowadays I mostly just let them sit on top of my closet, one with the Gyromite setup and the other with the Stack-Up setup. Each also has a single R.O.B. Amiibo in front of them and my NES sits between them. It looks glorious!

The only thing that I regret is not having the Famicom R.O.B.. This one is very rare where I live so I'll probably have to reach deeper in my pockets to get one. Too bad that right now all that I get from doing that are mothballs.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Online Tourney mode got updated for 1v1 format specifically.

Stock count: 2
Timer: 4 minutes
Stage: Omega forms
Items: Off

Essentially meaning we back in Wii U's For Glory rules.

Additionally, this weekend has a special tourney for Terry's release.

Stamina mode (200 HP)
Timer: 2 minutes, 30 seconds
Items: On (medium)

Both seem like steps in the right direction, the standard 1v1 tourney feels infinitely better than either of its previous incarnations (2 stock, 2 min 30 timer originally, 1 stock, 2 min 30 second timer after).

1FC0

Smash Lord
I recall fg being 2 min matches... At least in teams.
FG 1v1 is 2 stock and 5 minutes.

Playing tourneys a bit has led me to the opinion that the new 1v1 tourney rules are a great balance. It strikes a nice balance between not being too luck-based, giving time to learn the opponent, not having too many Sudden Deaths, and not making me wait too long after winning.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Online Tourney mode got updated for 1v1 format specifically.

Stock count: 2
Timer: 4 minutes
Items: Off

Essentially meaning we back in Wii U's For Glory rules.

Additionally, this weekend has a special tourney for Terry's release.

Stamina mode (200 HP)
Timer: 2 minutes, 30 seconds
Items: On (medium)

Both seem like steps in the right direction, the standard 1v1 tourney feels infinitely better than either of its previous incarnations (2 stock, 2 min 30 timer originally, 1 stock, 2 min 30 second timer after).
FINALLY tournament mode is worth playing again! I haven't had a single sudden death match since this change has gone through!

boysilver400

Smash Apprentice
FG 1v1 is 2 stock and 5 minutes.

Playing tourneys a bit has led me to the opinion that the new 1v1 tourney rules are a great balance. It strikes a nice balance between not being too luck-based, giving time to learn the opponent, not having too many Sudden Deaths, and not making me wait too long after winning.
...it’s a 2 stock 4 min rule set. Sudden Deaths are still very likely and 2 stocks still doesn’t give people enough time to learn their opponents.

There’s a reason we left 2 stocks in the trash where it belongs. It sucked.

Firox

Smash Master
...it’s a 2 stock 4 min rule set. Sudden Deaths are still very likely and 2 stocks still doesn’t give people enough time to learn their opponents.

While I mostly agree,

A) I've played about 7 full tournaments and won 3 since this change has gone through without a SINGLE sudden death as opposed to the almost GUARANTEED sudden deaths that appeared with the 2 stock/3 minute rules.

B) 4 minutes isn't a lot of time to learn your opponent, but it's a hell of a lot better than 3 minutes or having just 1 stock. THOSE rules were virtually unplayable.

In short, 2 stock/4 minutes isn't your textbook competitive ruleset, but for an online tournament setting, it's better than anything we've gotten so far.

DeDeDIke

Smash Apprentice
I wish Nintendo could've just put 2 stock 4 minutes for 1 v 1s earlier, instead of having to change it back and forth. Just leave it at this ruleset and don't change it; it'll make many people happier. I'm not much of a competitive player, but even I agree that 1 stock 3 minutes isn't enough time to "learn" your opponent. I've only won like 2 or 3 1 v 1 tourneys (it's filled with a lot of try-hards ^o^''), but most of the time I don't even make it past the 3rd round. It looks like the FFA tourneys are still 2:30 minutes.

1FC0

Smash Lord

In my experience I hardly get any Sudden Deaths. I also think that 2 stocks gives me a much better chance to learn the opponent than 1 stock does. And I would not like the waiting times of 3 stock much. So I think it's a nice balance.

But I can see why you would prefer 3 stock which is what I prefer in Elite Smash. It makes for better matches IMO, but the time would need to be increased and there would be more waiting between games, which for me is not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom