• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online smash and console smash going in opposite directions

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
Contrary to what some people say, online smash is definitely growing smaller while competitive console smash is more popular than it has ever been. A few years ago it was the other way around when kaillera would have 80+ people online and there were no big console tournaments.

Why do you think things are the way they are now? Of course it would be great if both online and console were growing but if you had to choose, would you prefer online smash to be more popular or have the console scene be large? To me it seems that once people play on console, they begin to dislike online because of the delay and lag and play online alot less.

Smasherx74

Smash Journeyman
Why play a game that takes skill to get good at when you could play a game that makes you feel like you have skill when you don't cough project M cough

The Star King

Smash Hero
Well when Galaxy died it seems like online smash never recovered. I know there are servers now but there are a lot less good players there now. It seems like most of the good players hang out at the Skype group by default waiting for games, when before a lot of people hung out directly on the servers.

80+ people online is definitely an exaggeration btw imo for anything within my time here.

Last edited:

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
From what people tell me there would be 80-100 people online back in like 2008.

Sedda

Smash Champion
online 64 is still a very good option. I think it's probably a combination of what you said plus it seems like everybody here (or a good number of them) seem to have people with whom they can play irl on a regular basis. Maybe everyone was super isolated before? idk

rpotts

Smash Lord
FB groups and local tournies have done a lot for my area, keeping people entertained enough to avoid wanting to go through the hassle of setting up pj64 and buying an adapter just to play with possibly bad delay. I'm trying to get back into online, just ordered a new adapter the other day, but I'd prefer to play on console any day.

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
online will be better once there's a main server that allows all players to play on lan without fake dropping packet problems

Skrlx

Smash Champion
It'll be better, but it doesn't mean there'll be more players. What really annoys me is the lack of players more than ****ty online. Melee netplay is a whole lot better than Kaillera. There hasn't been a day where I can't find someone to play with, and the best part is that the IRC group isn't made up of people who talk/argue all day instead of playing smash. And if you notice, being able to play whenever I want correlates to simply having more players that are available at any given day. (It also probably helps that there are actual WC players.) My choice of WC players are Jaime, Mariguas, Dexter, and Madrush. If none of them are available, I'm SOL.

Nintendo discontinuing their online services means that there will be a huge surge in Project M netplay players. How does it feel to know that a mod for Brawl will have more available players than 64? Pretty ****ty.

I like 64, but this situation just has me extremely frustrated.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
perhaps the development of the console scene is what shrunk the online scene in the first place. people might feel less inclined to play online if there is a tournament every few months and real life people to play who they met through said tournament.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
No. It's mostly Brawl when it was released that dwindled the online scene. Nova alludes to this when there were more players back then than now.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I play weekly with local players and its really hard for me personally to go from console to online or vice versa. There is always an adjustment period where I am getting used to the delay, and during this period I don't have much fun. I would have a lot of not fun every week if I constantly switched. I tried for a while but I can really only do one at a time.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
I play weekly with local players and its really hard for me personally to go from console to online or vice versa. There is always an adjustment period where I am getting used to the delay, and during this period I don't have much fun. I would have a lot of not fun every week if I constantly switched. I tried for a while but I can really only do one at a time.
it kinda just sounds like you're a little *****

how about that

clubbadubba

Smash Master
right back atcha. In fact, I heard kerokeroppi means lil ***** to all the kids these days

The Star King

Smash Hero
I kinda stopped playing because I always ****ing lag nowadays.

I still have a blast but I feel kind of guilty because other people complain.

Last edited:

Sedda

Smash Champion
Nintendo discontinuing their online services means that there will be a huge surge in Project M netplay players. How does it feel to know that a mod for Brawl will have more available players than 64? Pretty ****ty.
I don't think that's very surprising. It's a mod, but it's still a NEWER game. Shinny graphics, big community effort, decent exposure on youtube, etc. I can't imagine why any "casual" players would get into 64 if they had to choose between that and PM without having a good understanding of the metagame for both, but that's the point; They're new players. I tried to get some of my friends to play 64, and they just ended up playing PM. They understand the game better than just "better graphics and more charactersss lolzz" now that they've played a while, but they've already invested all of their time into playing PM.

64 just needs a reliable way for people to play online, and that includes a "hub" that can take the place that the Galaxy had.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
if egx still existed and lagacy was good, online would still be good. it is disjointed now

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
we must unite the kingdoms of Kaillera. only then can we fight off the armies of brawl in the east, and the inevitable onslaught of PM from the west. Any word yet if the Order of Voobly will come to our aid?

.SHIZSEI.

Smash Cadet
I tried to play online for the first time in years, can't enjoy it the same way I did back then. I'd prefer online smash though, not saying because its "better". Mainly because I can easily get a couple of matches without traveling.

Therefore I hope the online community recovers. I'd hate to be forced to travel, theres literally no one around.

Last edited:

MattNF

Smash Lord
I play on and off and take year long breaks. I eventually stop playing because online is so shit, and the emulator is so shit. Gets really annoying dealing with nonstop crashes, desyncs, lagouts, packet dropping, server lagging, teams being unplayable, etc

It's rare to even find english speakers on Galagxy anymore. RIP.

Last edited:

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
I dont play on kalleria cause everyone there are assholes. Only person that was nice to me online that actually tried to help me get better by giving me pointers and stuff was Smasherx74

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
It's odd how different the offline community is. People are so nice in comparison

Though I would say that when EGX was here, it was more of a mix of trolls and really nice people (Lingrush, everyone not in iXi outside of Unknown)

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
What's interesting is that none of my friends want to play Super Smash Bros. on the actual N64 hardware anymore. Granted, we're not competitive players but nowadays we generally play SSB on the Wii because it's lag free and we get to use the awesome GameCube controller. :)

The problem with playing the cartridge version of SSB is that the N64 looks so bad on most modern HDTV's and few people have a CRT TV anymore.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
grizz you are so persistent, good job
Thanks!

I personally love the cartridge version of Super Smash Bros. and I still have a CRT to play it on but it's just so much better to play on my big TV with GameCube controllers.

Is Project 64k really that laggy? It looks completely smooth in the videos I've watched.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
Thanks!

I personally love the cartridge version of Super Smash Bros. and I still have a CRT to play it on but it's just so much better to play on my big TV with GameCube controllers.

Is Project 64k really that laggy? It looks completely smooth in the videos I've watched.
it's not laggy if you have a decent internet connection. however there is some frame delay

B Link

Smash Lord
Thanks!

If you're watching recorded matches of course it'll look "completely smooth" lol

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
If you're watching recorded matches of course it'll look "completely smooth" lol
Well, the people in the videos I've watched never mentioned lag affecting their combos and such.

In this video it looks like SSB is playing extremely well with Project 64k.

Smasherx74

Smash Journeyman
Well, the people in the videos I've watched never mentioned lag affecting their combos and such.

Newer Kaillera clients, have the ability to record emulation and emulate it back without the ingame lag experienced originally. This isn't 2008. PJ64k doesn't lag but Kaillera does. If you want Smooth gameplay play on P2P/Preferably AQZ. The difference is, Kaillera servers right now are running on a faulty EmulinkerSF version that was edited by Near Firo and Agent and now it trys to prevent DS by detecting packet loss and stopping emulation giving you this message, when it's completely unneeded and is triggered by too much delay of packets being received to server side. All in prevention of DS... which is does a good job at. (that last sentence is sarcasm).

Madao

When people say they lag, it's usually ping related, not so much fps related. A decent computer should run pj64k at 60fps constantly, but the issue for most people is input delay. Lol I was considering playing on server until I saw the frame delay and said to myself "nty". P2P works great, but I understand if people want to do 2v2's. I still don't see why people prefer PJ64k over Mupen++. Also certain emulators have a built in recording function, but they only record input.

I'd probably play online if I had a good controller and wired connection :( .

B Link

Smash Lord
When people say they lag, it's usually ping related, not so much fps related. A decent computer should run pj64k at 60fps constantly, but the issue for most people is input delay. Lol I was considering playing on server until I saw the frame delay and said to myself "nty". P2P works great, but I understand if people want to do 2v2's. I still don't see why people prefer PJ64k over Mupen++. Also certain emulators have a built in recording function, but they only record input.

I'd probably play online if I had a good controller and wired connection :( .
Ah that reminds me, do you know of any way to "read" the .krec file produced? I mean, is there a way to see an intelligible list of what inputs were pressed?

Top Bottom